Photo by Melody

Container Gardening: Atumn Containers onto Spring.

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 113, Views: 1,184
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9001836

We came from here; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1222930/

Meet Foghorn Leghorn who finds my garden one fine day this winter while All the Japonica Camellias are blooming.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9001853

Spring is near every year when these camellias are in its full glory.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9001862

Another view;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9002042

I have learned to love camellias. The Gardield Park Conservatory caused me to become addicted two years ago. They cannot really be grown outside here, so they were unfamilair to me. Thank you so much for sharing yours. Lovely things!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9002122

Welcome back Donna. I'm glad you've found Camellias and enjoy them.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9002397

Looking forward to spring.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9003767

Lovely lily... mother said it's cold there today .. she's been cooler than I am here.. all winter long... today is quite cold here.. well not cold for feb and winter.. but there's no real winter yet here...
Camellias are great there... the water always makes for such a nice background for everything.. always a lot of growing and flowering on the dock.. good work...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9003787

Hi Gordon, this winter is something else? Yesterday it was quite cold for what seems like the first time. It was in the 30'ish although with the wind factor, it felt much colder. Jan. was an unusual 'warm' month. But, Feb. is here ... a little bit more winter will be lingering no doubt. Next time you come home to see mother, won't you holler at us, Jim and I would love to meet up with you again for coffee at the Botanical garden tour. Thanks for the compliment.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2012
11:18 PM

Post #9007234

sure thing Lily.. I'd love to make the botanical garden tour again..
So.. have you tried or grown a stictocardia... I've tried here .. it gets real big but no flowers... I think it's a late season bloomer.. and by that time it 's too cold here... Iv'e some seeds from Reunion Island... that Jacques sent.. I'll give it another try this year...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9008142

No, I haven't tried that stictocardia. Though, it looks different. I've tried Rangoon Creeper for several years. Though, the growing season is longer here. Still it isn't seem looong enough for those to put out flowers for me. :((

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9008145

Another container, this one in the shade.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click an image for an enlarged view.

biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

February 24, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9018775

[quote="Lily_love"]Another view;[/quote]

Love Foghorn and the plants - it is an early spring this year in USA isn't it?
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

February 24, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9018778

[quote="Lily_love"]Looking forward to spring.[/quote]

Love your view!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9018797

Many thanks biddy52. How is the weather there in Brookfield Australia? Yes, Spring seems to flirt with us a bit. It was quite warm yesterday. Temp. drops back to the cooler side tonite.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9020502

Lily the dock looks enticing as always. I love Camellias although I don't have one, they really looked great down here this year, starting to lose the blooms now, they peaked earlier this month.

I found a wine barrel in someone's trash heap this past week. I turned my Jeep back around and picked it up. It is actually an older one and really heavy, I can't believe someone threw it out. Already put some flowers in it. I'll post a photo once I download them.

Spring is "flirting" with us...very well put. Got cool here the last couple days and very high winds. Today still on the gloomy cool side. But the rain is very welcome...so needed in Florida.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9020518

Thanks Sherri. Half-whiskey barrel make great container planting for the large volume will reduce the need to water for our Southern climate -- in US. We're in our raining-season down here this time of year. Wished it would rain more during the summer due to the heat and all. I find myself working out in the garden more and more ... will have new pics. to share in the near future.
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

February 26, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9021310

[quote="Lily_love"]Many thanks biddy52. How is the weather there in Brookfield Australia? Yes, Spring seems to flirt with us a bit. It was quite warm yesterday. Temp. drops back to the cooler side tonite.[/quote]

Actually, wet and humid today, after three days over 37 degrees Celsius so we are enjoying the reprieve. I have cousins in USA - California and Arkansas and they have both commented on bulbs flowering early.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9022979

It's nice to have moisture in a hot day. Do you get drought often there? Yes like California Arkansas and other States, flowers are popping out like gangs buster here too.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9057261

Here is my barrel...sorry about the DH's ladder in the background...his junk is everywhere. ☺

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9057275

A very nice red-white and blue theme there Sherri. I'm gravitated to more container planting this past year. Will add some more pics. to share soon.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9063651

Little by little, one (container) is up after another. It has been raining quite heavily today...so no new ones being made at the present. What's I've here are just the beginning. Enjoy.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9063654

Clematis ect...

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9063656

The good side of the clematis pot.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9063662

Combo planting in big container, this one is equivalent to the half whiskey barrel, maybe a tad bigger.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9063664

Others;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9063669

Last, will post more as things come together.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9065884

Pix today;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9065960

Clematis in container, 'Nelly Moser' clematis.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9065966

This is a half-whiskey barrel trelis for two clematis, top planting with beebalms;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9066419

I never realized that you could grow clematis in a container. How nice!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9066444

Good morning Donna. In our region where the soil above ground won't free over. Container growing is feasible, my Clematis and other container growing of certain perennials do fine. The containers selection is important too, I've to be careful and choose those that can withstand the elements. Wooden planters are nice, but they will deteriorate after a few years so I've learnt. These are barrels that are close to 7-8 years of age. I'll soon have to transplant them to new pots for the wood is breaking down. My clems. are roughly 4-5 years of age.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9066490

I have container plants that I move into the garage, against the back wall, in the winter. I moved last December and wanted to take a lot of pants with me, so I containerized them in October, moved them into my new garage in December, and have been taking them out and planting them. Everything survived, which really pleased me. Now I have discovered that the three unknown plants growing on the fence are sweet autumn clematis. Not what I would have chosen, but it is giving me some experience working with the plant, and of course here it is hardy in the winter.

I would have chosen something like your Nelly Moser. Lovely!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9066696

I do not know for instance if hybrid Clem. in zone 5a will withstand the element, Donna. I've a sister that lives in Maryland, which is zoned 7a. I wouldn't recommend her to plant clematis there in containers, so I'll treat you as family (i.e. my sister) and won't give you bad advice. ^_^

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9066706

Down South, I've the flexibility to treat containers gardening in a more relaxed method. For hardy perennials? I used container deep enough to conserve watering time, and avoid drying out too quickly. We do not have much freezing issues down here, however, the humidity and heat during the summer is something we've got to take in considerations.

On the right, is a container that houses my dwarf crepe myrtle; it's almost like an authentic "bonsai" and it's left outdoor year round. On the center however, the more shallow pot is reserved for annuals that serve to provide colorful interest, but will need to be redone every spring. For right now, I've only an ornamental pepper growing in that pot.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9066712

Various ornamental containers are on the making, to include some beginner-bonsais.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9067115

How adorable of you to treat me like family!

If I did do it, I would put them in containers and put them in the garage. Raulston Arboretum sends me plants that are not hardy. So I put them in pots for a couple of years, overwinter them in my garage, and let them attain some size. If the plant is wonderful enough, like this hydrangea serrata shishiva they gave me, it goes into a self watering pot and spends every year in the garage.

It is so beautiful and delicate, that although I would probably not have purchased it, it became one of my most cherished plants.

They just sent me two more quite rare hydrangeas. I'm one of those crazy gardeners who will do what is necessary for a cherished plant (and I have a really big garage!)

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9085088

New Spring planting of the group out on the floating pier. I try to extend the 'butterfly garden' out here by planting some hostplant for butterflies besides the colorful annuals/perennials to attract hummingbirds as well.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9085097

How about liliums in containers? Why not?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9108329

Beginner Bonsai; a dwarf cotoneaster.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9110670

Lily and Donna, hello. I am moving from cold and strange z, 6 to hot and strange z. 8. I thought I knew what would grow well in a container ...in Boston...but when I think about Texas (Dallas) I'm stumped. We are only renting for a few years, and not allowed to make changes, so I am totally limited to containers. I guess I will plant big plastic or synthetic pots with callibrachoa or maybe succulents? I'm not sure what the policy is on watering and I'm not sure if folks listen to the policy! I would also like to grow some container vegetables, if I can do it. I missed the spring containers in New England because I was in Texas looking for a house! Plus it's still too cold to sit out and admire them.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9110792

CarrieL. The change from zone 6 to 8 will be quite dramatic. I understand drought is a real problem there in Tx. Containers gardening is proven to be even more challenging for they dry out alot faster versus planting in the ground. I do not have any practical advice. But recommend that you visit Texas gardening forum for more practical info? Here where I'm. Summer months watering these containers are quite demanding. If it wasn't for the irrigation system I would have to be out there twice a day to assure nothing is being burnt out.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9111206

Carrie, have you thought about using Terrasorb in your containers? We get 90 degree heat here and these water holding crystals make it possible. I mix just a bit with water, allow it to expand and then place it around my plants as I pot them. I probably have 60 - 70 pots and they survive in extremely high heat with this method, cutting down my summer watering to every other day even at extreme temperatures.

The best thing is to have an irrigation system. I have one for my veggie garden. But the Terrasorb solution is inexpensive and effective. I last paid $14 for a small tub which has lasted me 5 years.

And please remember, a lot of tender perennials originate in South America and Africa, and can take very high temperatures.

Donna

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9111634

Ah, yes, Donna, I have an unfinished tub around here somewhere! I have to remember to bring it! I've been using spoonfuls of it all along, certainly not enough to run out!

Yes, Lily, unfortunately, I have signed a lease saying I won't ruin the lovely lawn. It's going to be containers or nothing.

My guess is I will end up with some combination of indoor plants and/or containers with succulents or cactus-type plant. Here in New England I don't water much except flower boxes...and I use big, deep containers with moisture crystals. (And I have very low expectations for things are gonna look by the end of the summer!) I tend to want instant results instead of slow and steady improvement, which I guess makes sense for containers instead of in-the-ground planting, We shall see. I'm mostly belly-aching because DH is there in the new, rented house and I'm here, in the old, mortgaged house with the old daughter. he he he.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9112339

Wishing you a smooth transition there Carrie. One up side to gardening in the South is that the growing season is much longer compared to up North. Here is some large container planting in the shade;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9112755

YES! My daughter and I were enjoying the last and first frost dates according to DG -- we have 60 extra days of frost-free gardening!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9112991

Here is my 'little' herb garden. Dills and Cillantro.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9116330

Asiatic lilium in container;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9130454

'Football lilium' about to put on a show.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9134912

Great container shots Lily, the lilies are pretty pink. I have dill growing and other herbs but cilantro just gets eaten up by something and I gave up a few years ago and just buy it now...pretty cheap at the grocery store.

Here is a container my kids gave me for Mother's day, it is so heavy you need two hands. They said they got it at Sam's wholesale for under $25...amazing when you see how heavy it is...and I love turtles.

The second photo is a shot of my containers all hanging and under the shade of a very large crepe myrtle tree

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9134940

Sherri, love that container the kids gave you. That nook in the garden look very cozy, enjoy the birdhouse too. I'll post some more of that lily later, for now. I've ornamental Pomagranites coming! Wooohoooo!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9135573

I am truly enjoying the show.

And what lovely children!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9136578

Thanks Donna, Sherri, have you any passionflowers in bloom yet? I'm looking forward to seeing some in blooms. Our native 'Maypop' just took off down here. No blooms until August or later.

The miniature pomagranite fruiting habit really is a joy for me to watch. This one small tree is loaded with flowers and fruits being formed.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9136594

Oooops, pardon. Didn't see that the above pic. is quite blurry. Here is another take;

I've mentioned of the above 'Football lily' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2440/
My little basket of liliums is unfurling reveals its beauty;

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9136600

Other mixed container planting;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9137156

Oh, my goodness. Such beauty!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9137236

Thanks, I'm glad you've enjoyed the photos. I've had the 'Football lily' for several years. A wonderful gift from a DG friend who lives in Tenn. I've yet seen berries formed on these blooms for years. We've lot of bumble bees in the area. I noticed a hummingbird nectaring the fuzzy ball early this morning. I wished some of the flying jewels will pollinate the flowers for me.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9140351

Hi Sis!!! I see you have been busy as usual!!! When are you and Jim coming to Baton Rouge? I've missed you!!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9140485

Hi Sis. Jim and I just took a lunch break from the garden. ^_^ Jim said "we need to make a trip ..." I'm all for that any time. How are you and family?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9140563

We're doing good!!! Glad to hear Yall are doing the same. Here is a shot of 5 of the grands for Mother's day. Chris is missing b/c he didn't make it until late. They are growing like weeds.

Thumbnail by jeri11

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9140604

How blessed you're! What's a beautiful family. Ashley is so grown up! Thanks sis for the photo.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9140608

Oh BTW, meet "Larry II" This is the only way we can afford a peacock. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9140921

LOL!!! Larry lives up the road now. He attacked me and then pooped all over my cousins cabinet shop wood and Charles re-located him. Bad bird!!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9141076

Jeri, sorry Larry behaved badly. I bet you missed him for what the memory he's left. Keep in touch. We need to visit soon.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9146162

A shady container planting.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9146222

love that blue

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9146238

Here is more of shade of blue for you Jo Ann. :)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9146305

beautiful

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #9147126

Here is a shot of the fountain. It was my biggest casualty last winter b/c I covered the entire fountain with frost cloth and then we had no winter. My plants fried under the cover completely so I re-potted it and love it myself.

Thumbnail by jeri11

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2012
1:26 AM

Post #9147188

jeri11 that is a beautiful planting.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9147459

Thanks ge!!! I'll have to get a shot of the hibiscus in bloom in the bottom level. You can't see them in these shots very well. It really gives a pop to the arrangement. My DD insisted that I needed this fountain and DH said no more things that require electric or water so this is my solution to that problem. LOL!!!

Thumbnail by jeri11

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9147987

Jeri, winter in our southern climate is very unusual, and inpredictable. Your fountain planting after being revived/repotted turned out real well. The beauty in your enchanting garden doesn't show through a pic. or two. One has got to be in it to fully appreciate the beauty of your garden. Is the Kois pond still doing well?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9148075

The pond is doing good this year. I'm having a terrible time this year with snakes. I have at least 4 feasting on my babies!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9148096

Awww, here we have to deal with Racoons. Last year Racoons fished out most of our goldfish. Luckily, their offsprings are making a come back. Here I've other container gardening;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9148243

Ahh! I finally gave in to a drift rose. It's low growing and I thought it's attractive in one of those cobalt blue container. More pix later.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2012
1:03 AM

Post #9148586

Lily love the containers look great.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9148787

I agree Kim what is that blue flower in the 1st picture you posted yesterday. Very pretty!!!

This is a succulent planter that was left over after I started to make a living wreath. The succulents were so fragile in handling them I had leaves fall off so I threw them into a pot of sand and they all grew so I repotted some to this pot.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9148796

Here is a shot of the wreath. It is rooting into the coir and I can't move it for 2 weeks.

Thumbnail by jeri11

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9149291

Thanks Jo Ann. Jeri, those succulents wreath looks like a fun filled project. Can't wait to see the progression of it. Oh the Blue Flower is a variety of the blue Sky Vine (Bengal Clock vine). Only this one's growth habit is like a semi-shrub like, and its color is a tad deeper blue.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9149399

I really like it!!! It looks great in your container!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9149487

Jeri, thanks. How about your plumerias? Has any put out inflos. yet? I've a few, here's one of them.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9150023

The familiar Thunbergia grandiflora, I've lost the old vines on the sideyard arbor. I tried to replace 'em. but the area is getting shadier thus the vines aren't doing so well. So this year, I resorted back to having a hanging basket that hung on this arbor out back.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9150073

No not yet. I think I'll fertilize them today. I haven't even moved a lot of my smaller plumerias out of the GH. Your's are looking good!!!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9150076

That one looks a little lighter than your old one. I like it though!!! I spend the day cutting things back. Everything is already so overgrown. I have bushels of things for the compost pile.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9150085

Speaking of over grown plants. This Clerodrendon bungie has litterally over takes my small corner of the garden. lol I'm waiting for the blooms to subside before I give 'em a severe 'haircut' right down to the ground. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9152438

Wooohooo, the 'Football Lily' appears to be putting out berries!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9152440

Thumbnail by Lily_love

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9152603

Hope that is seeds Sis!!! LOL!!! I still can't grow those gloriosa lily. Are you still growing them?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9152640

The gloriosa lily has declined somewhat. I need to get some more tubers. I think I didn't give them enough sun this spring to do well. I sure hope those are seedpods. Have no idea how big they gonna get.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9157449

The First Thing we bought in Texas, before TP or milk or anything boring, was a cobalt blue pot!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9157503

Welcome to Texas your new home, CarrieL. Hope everything is working out well there like that cobalt blue pot. ~grin.

I love these abundant blooms of 'Million Bells'.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9159392

Lotus in container.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9159569

Oh my goodness, that lotus is gorgeous!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 10, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9159620

Thanks Donna. The flower opens during the day, closes off at night.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9159785

What a lovely thing! I love the way you photographed it with the droplets of water.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9161039

Once again, the sun came out of the cloud, the flower opens up. The 2nd flower joined in. 2nd pix; other container flowers in bloom.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9161164

Lily, your photos are stunning! We went to Lowe's (here in TX) and bought some plants to nurse back to health, lol.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9161231

Thank you carrie. Hope you'll have pics. to share soon.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9161269

A long awaited FOS (first of season) bloom of 'Miss Emily Mckenzie' brugmansia. The bloom must be at least a foot long from tip to tip.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9161748

Oh, your brugs! So beautiful!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9161841

Here is a shot of my burgs. They are in the ground.

Thumbnail by jeri11

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9161846

Donna, Brugs blossoms are beautiful in general. But this cultivar is outstanding. The bud started out light green, then turns slightly creamy white, then light pink, THEN mature into this gorgous shade of pink ... over night. Above pics. were taken right after sunset yesterday. This is what M.E.M is like this morning.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9161850

Hi Sis, those in the ground brugs yield abundant blooms! For some reason most of mine (in ground brugs.) didn't survive this past winter, one of my neighbor's shared the same fate eventhough the winter was very mild compared to years past.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 12, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9161853

Been busy and away for awhile.

Lily my passifloras are slow to flower, one red Crimson is flowering well, but my Lady Margaret only a few, the vine being eaten by the cats faster than it can grow...maybe now that the rains are here it can catch up.

Jeri love that succulent wreath idea...where did you get that at? You fountain is just beautiful...I sure would love to visit your garden.

I don't think I ever posted this here, a succulent garden I made out of an old free standing fire pit we no longer use. This was in April. It has grown quite a bit and I was worried heavy rains might do some of the plants in. Only the sedum spurium seems to be be dying out from soggy soil. I'll take and post updated photos real soon.

The other is a small succulent garden from babies out of my larger plants, this was when I first started it back in April.

The second photos of each were taken mid May a month later.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 12, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9161862

Oh those brugs are so beautiful...my babies my father gave me are so small, I'm sure they won't be blooming this year. They are getting lots of little green caterpillars eating holes in the leaves also. Do you have that problem?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9161871

Sherri, I've one brug that's being affected by those little unknown caterpillars. The rest are fine though. My native passi is growing, I wished to see more of the Gulf Frits. cats. But so far none here yet.

Oh well come home from a nice vacation from South Fla. I visited Ft. Myers once and have been longing to return ... Back to gardening, I too have a few succulents, those look great. And I noticed the beautiful turtle. ^_^

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9161874

Lovely pots ,great composition in greens.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9161946

I have started to use frost cloth with very good results. The garden looks like a ghost reunion during the winter but come March 15 when I take the cloth off to have plants that are ready to bloom is worth the ghost reunion during the winter when I don't stay out there much anyway.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9162015

Hahaha, a ghost reunion. Class of 1812 or something? Def. looks like it's worth the ghosts--the containers are beautiful.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9162021

The key word is Patience, patience! and a little planning ahead with those tender perennials in our zones. Thanks Jeri for the tips.

This one 'tree rose' is one that was on sale from the big box store last Fall. It was a near discarded item that was sold for $2.99. A fraction for what the original price was. So ... Carrie, keep us posted on how your 'rescued' will turn out.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9162253

How lovely, Lily! Mine will (I hope) just look alive when I'm done rescuing them. The most important part of the rescue was to dump out the extra water that had accumulated in the hole-less planter. I did that in the store aisle! Once I established that the poor things were drowning, I believed a mini-rescue was within my limited power.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9164539

Best wishes to your effort Carrie. The plumeria's inflo. today.

New thread ====> http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1264977/

This message was edited Jul 2, 2012 7:40 PM

biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

August 29, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9258553

[quote="Lily_love"]Many thanks biddy52. How is the weather there in Brookfield Australia? Yes, Spring seems to flirt with us a bit. It was quite warm yesterday. Temp. drops back to the cooler side tonite.[/quote]

Sorry Lily_love - I missed your question - I think when I first commented to you it was February - we had summer - now it is August and we are heading into spring and not before time. We don't get snow in Brookfield - but believe me when the cold wind blows off the mountains and up from Bas Strait - you might as well have snow - pretty cold! Particularly since I have lived in Qld for the past 12 years and only recently moved back home to Victoria - not acclimatised at all now - and being a real "sook" about it! LOL

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9258918

Happy Spring time to you. It's now the beginning of Autumn, our weather is getting cooler from the hot summer months. Autumn time is pleasant here, it comes at a cost, however. Turbulent weathers. Hoping for the best. biddy52, please come and join us on the new thread I've posted above.
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

October 29, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9319222

[quote="carrielamont"]Ah, yes, Donna, I have an unfinished tub around here somewhere! I have to remember to bring it! I've been using spoonfuls of it all along, certainly not enough to run out!

Yes, Lily, unfortunately, I have signed a lease saying I won't ruin the lovely lawn. It's going to be containers or nothing.

My guess is I will end up with some combination of indoor plants and/or containers with succulents or cactus-type plant. Here in New England I don't water much except flower boxes...and I use big, deep containers with moisture crystals. (And I have very low expectations for things are gonna look by the end of the summer!) I tend to want instant results instead of slow and steady improvement, which I guess makes sense for containers instead of in-the-ground planting, We shall see. I'm mostly belly-aching because DH is there in the new, rented house and I'm here, in the old, mortgaged house with the old daughter. he he he.[/quote]
Good luck with your pots. We moved from Qld to Victoria just on a year ago. I am a Melbourne girl, so knew what to expect. I am renting too - and all my plants are in pots - although we have put in a vegie garden in the back yard - only have to replace area with tan bark when we finally move. Vic gets pretty hot in the summer - we have survived one already - Just about everything grows in pots - I had tulips, daffodils, and various other bulbs for the first time this year. I have a beautiful Hippeastrum (Amarylis?) is in bloom now - also, geraniums, impatiens, succulents, the list is endless! I miss my tropical plants from Qld - only because they were too big to bring with me. I am sure you have the timber vegie containers - you could dismantle and take with you when you move? All my herbs are in pots and strawberries. Good luck!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America