AuthorContent

SewSassee

SewSassee
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9001877

Looking for ideas on how to sort and store my fabric scraps.

I have lots and lots of scraps that end up getting stacked here and stacked there with no organization of any kind.

If I have smaller pieces left from a bolt I tend to cut them in to fat eights or fat quarters but I also have lots of scraps that can't be cut in to that.

So, how does everyone sort and store their scraps? Do you go by color? Season? Novelty? etc... and if you go by color do you take the main fabric color? Or do you use the one that pops out of the print?

Just looking for some ideas on what to do and how to store mine since they are currently a giant mess. Just today I was looking through a pile of scraps and I was like "wow! I didn't know I had this!" ugh... So, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance as always to my fellow quilters/sewers, your advice and ideas are always appreciated.

Bev

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9002112

I know Mittsy's group cuts scraps into block sizes and stores them in labeled clear boxes. 2 inch squares, 3 inch etc. I store my scraps by "general color". IF the shoe box size boxes are not very full, I stack them without lids and put a index card attached to top only. Then I can stack on top of each other and get more in a space without losing the "sorted" benefit.
lilypad22
(tish) near Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9002333

I like those three drawer plastic drawer units, about 12" wide and deep. I have a drawer for blues, one for reds, then greens, brown/beiges, pinks, purple/lavender also yellow ...and there are those I can't decide which drawer, so they go in a drawer. I have some clear shoe boxes for some colors I don't have many scraps of, like blacks and orange and such. Now smaller scraps, I cut leftovers into 2" and 2 1/2" strips and they just get a box of their own...going to do another strip piecing quiltlet (kid size quilt to donate) with them one day. For the front of the drawers, I have stip pieced a rectangle of some of the assorted prints in that drawer...I've been thinking I don't like that much and maybe I'd like to make some fabric flowers, maybe yo=yo's they would look more fun.

This is a good topic, looking forward to some more hints.

tish

SewSassee

SewSassee
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9002339

I started at one point waaaaay back to cut them in to charms, 2", 3" etc... but then it just seems like I am sitting cutting and cutting and cutting and I'm not getting any where making stuff. So, that's when I started only doing the fat eights and the fat quarters. And yes, I do iron them all nice and put them away. But, I have such a disaster with the leftover pieces that I am just at a point where I could scream. That's why I so desperately need those ideas from everyone.

At one point I was thinking of getting one of those color wheels just to figure out how to organize things by color.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9002352

A good friend of mine, who had an obligation that kept her on the phone A LOT, invested in an ear piece and would cut out the squares while on the phone. It was a win-win, she could keep her hands busy while on the phone and all those squares got cut. We were using donated scraps so we didn't have the luxury of cutting in anything as big as fat quarters. We initially would sort all the garbage bags full of scraps into piles by colors. THEN we would do the cutting, one quilt at a time. We made some very pretty bright baby quilts. I'll have to ask Holly if she has any pictures I can share of those quilts.

SewSassee

SewSassee
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9002599

Pat did you have any particular sizes you were cutting your scraps in to? I mean are there any that get used over and over, size wise. And when you sorted your colors did you go by the main color of the fabric or by the color that popped out of the fabric? Just curious as to what you and Holly did.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9003628

No, at this point I was just cutting into the "biggest blocks" I could get generally. We used a lot of 2.5 inch. We sorted by "theme" I guess you could say. We sorted in "general" and then resorted if the piles were overly big. We had been given 6 garbage bags full of fabric scraps. Generally the biggest block we could cut was 5 inch!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
4:16 AM

Post #9003701

I have a pile of clear plastic "shoe box" size containers. I cut my left overs into strips - the largest I can get from a strip. I then store them by width of strip only. Over 6" I fold and put into a fat qtr container. The narrowest I keep is 2". Smaller than that I take to my quilt group for those who like the small pieces

Amazing how often I go to those containers to get "something I need" for a project I'm working on. The other day I got enough to bind a quilt.

Also great if you decide to make a log cabin. And I'm thinking I can pull out all sorts of 2 1/2" strips to make a really crazy Jelly Roll quilt like Barb's. Since it is so COLD out, I may just do that today!!!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9004004

Good idea, Jean! I was thinking those Jelly Roll quilts would be good to use up those 'what was I thinking when I bought this' fabrics... or some of the stuff I've gotten from Ebay in lot goods... although I think I would cut the WOF in half to mix up the patterns more. Someone suggested this in the other house, maybe Jean? Even those leftover strips could be just stitched together, end to end, then straightened (or not) and finished the same way... That way some of the 'leftovers' wouldn't have to be stored, just accumulating in a basket for a quick quilt...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9004014

I just used up 48 left over strips of various lenghts & have a top 48 X 62.
Next one, I'd use shorter lenghts to start with.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9004059

Did you join them together straight across or on the diagonal? I did the diagonal and I think it uses up too much fabric. I'm going to try another maybe later this week and di ithem straight across.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9004149

Will love to hear how it works with cutting the strips straight across Barb. Slowly (because I have been to Moms) getting my scraps under control. Such a feeling of accomplishing something!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9004210

I did the diagonal. You don't lose much. What you lose on 1 piece you make up on the next and I think on the diagonal gives it a nice look.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9004219

I still I'd like the quilt better "framed" with a couple of borders. Simply binding the strips looks unfinished to me. Another thread here somewhere, SOMEONE, did a JR quilt for donation and added a couple of leaves that were appliqued on. I can't remember who!!! Anybody help me out with a link?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9004278

I am thinking of adding a thin dark border and then a wider. I have this crazy fabric with multi colored circles that I think might look nice.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9004458

At the end of my quilt top sewing, I've been rolling my strips (all the same in one roll) and rubberbanding the roll, then putting them in shoe boxes labled with the sizes. When I was cutting my 12" denims recently, for a couple of rag quilts soon to be started, I cut the remainders into 8", 6.5", and 4.5" blocks. The remaining pieces went into a bag for Thunder's
project or the trash bag. Gotta somehow do the same with the pieces from past Qs that are willy-nilly in boxes now. I also have several sections of scraps that have been sewn together, then squared, then added to and squared, etc. that includes practice squares and oopses. Some of these have already made it to dog crate covers and dog beds. I've wed several togther. And yet other scraps went into my charm quilt from another thread swap. If I can keep up making the squares and strip rolls and filing them after each project, I should have a pretty good library and some order.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 12, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9004530

well since so many of us are so smitten by this strip quilting challenge - perhaps - 2-1/2" strip WOF exchange would fly?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9004675

Helene, THAT's an idea for a swap we have never tried! How fun would that be!

SewSassee

SewSassee
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2012
4:18 AM

Post #9004796

I have just one question what is a WOF?

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

February 13, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9004809

Width Of Fabric

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9004836

Also defined as selvage to selvage.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

February 13, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9004943

So right Barb, I should have added that, great minds...lol

BTW how you doing? Thinking about you.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9005077

I'm still in the waiting mode. Waiting for the pulmonologist to call me now...Breathing can be such a necessary evil...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9005087

Great idea Helene. I for one would love to do a swap with 21/2" strips.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9005110

I made the jr with the leaves on it. Here's the picture.

Thumbnail by Catbird423
Click the image for an enlarged view.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9005122

Yes, it would make a good swap I think. I wouldn't want to host it as I am in the process of moving North to one of my DD and have stuff to do here and there and not very able. But would participate.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9005141

Helene - what, you are leaving FL before I move down?????
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9005168

Helene, I so understand what you are involved in at the moment. Good luck we will miss having you in sunny (?) Florida.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9005232

well you guys don't come to visit - I am all alone - - - -
do have DD's Perhaps I can handle 6/6.or 8/4. I am keeping my Apt. it is lovely here. 3BR/3B Have it for 26 yrs.
Draw back this summer there will be no store on LBK. Publix is closing to enlarge for 6- 8 mo. and that is the only bodily need supply place here.No McD's No anything else...Do have Pharm.

Sunny yes, but cold -man it is cold today. I am asking myself how will I manage in NJ???

The other thing I was thinking maybe a red and white block swap? After seeing those 600 + on display last year in NYC.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9005248

If you can find someone to buy my house in MD, I'd come visit you!!!!!!

Perhaps you can be a Snow Bird...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

February 13, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9005251

Gee I hope you all will wait for me for a swap. I'm already missing one in the other house that I really wanted to get in on. I need to see where we are going to be living next. LOL
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9005311

I can agree Helene, it has been cold the past few days--54 now.

Now I feel bad I haven't stopped by to see you but when I hit the section of 75 I am so ready to be at the nursing home that I just keep rolling!! Hanging head in shame.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 13, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9005710

I do want to come back on track.
I do press seams open when making bindings, either on bias or WOF and bias seam for both. Not sure if this is correct but being the seams are not straight I figure it is nice and flat to hand sew.

It's ok - marion, - you have your hands full and than some.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America