Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

What are you making Winter 2012 (3) "Is it Spring yet???"

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Time to start a new thread!

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Looking for some inspiration now- Found this piece of batik, and I think it will be a good background- What do I need? Sashing? frames for each flower?- I probably have some muted greens I could use- I just don't know. I love doing this wild stuff! It feeds my crazy imagination!!! I will likely use some fleece or some kind of batting -Don't know. Open to all ideas-

Thumbnail by JoParrott

WOW that is a GREAT batik to go with those blocks! I like the idea of framing EACH individually AND using sashing. Maybe something really dark as the framing...

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Thanks- that's sorta what I have in mind- this is gonna be so much fun to make!

Victoria Harbour, ON

So soft in color, anxious to see what you come up with..

trying to find batiques in shades of red to deep pink and few fat quarters of green tones for a project I bought pattern just after Christmas (poinsettia table runner) and wanting to find jelly rolls its an endless trip with no success at local fabric shops..think it means another trip to Joann's .. Is there another chain fabric store?? Wonder if the links for fabric stores send to Canada..

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Betty, I would think most did, postage might be a bit more.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Couldn't sleep last night so I shopped in my fabric for frame fabrics- Here's what I found. Now to decide the size of the floral blocks and width of the frame.

Thumbnail by JoParrott

Good choices Jo, going to be pretty.

Spring???????? Snowing here in TN.

Victoria Harbour, ON

About 2" of snow last night, gorgeous day outside, sunshine galore..

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

for a wall hanging make a grid of 6 or 8" white blocks framed by black 1-1/2" strips. Quilt your pictures onto batting and wrap each picture around the batting. Then applique them onto your black and white. This will give a floating appearance and woul make your pictures pop.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Well, here's where I am- framed and just placed on the batik for inspiration! Running out of ideas- I don't think I want to do a hanging- Probably some totes- I have wallhangings packed away, and no walls to hold them! I know friends would enjoy totes -

This message was edited Feb 11, 2012 10:04 AM

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Jo, that is going to be one pretty quilt! The framing and the batiks really work!

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Jo, those are so pretty. Love those designs, and the batik fabric!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Jo, those are so cool!

thought I'd share.

Placemats to match the quilt I made for DD. -sitting room and DR area.I use painters tape to mark for quilting. fast and easy for small projects. Wonderful for Greek Key quilting design on quilt borders etc.

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

http://www.studiokatdesigns.com/Patterns.htm
Love some of these handbags, some have embroidery.Also sends you to an embroidery designer beautiful stuff.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Good link, Helene- I downloaded one of the free wallet patterns to make- someday!

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Jo - those embroidered pieces are WONDERFUL!!!
Met with my quilt group this AM and have 4 tops to quilt before 3 March.
Had a get together with the gardeners from Dave's this afternoon and of course we had a blizzard!!!!
I'm in for the nite. Need a cup of hot tea to warm me up.

Lexington Park, MD

Jo I just love the embroidered pieces. So colorful.
Jean it just started snowing down here. Hope we get enough for sledding.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

But now I am stumped as to what to do with them-! A wallhanging would be a waste- thinking totes, but not sure. They would be nice for a window treatment-don't need that- So, I'll just put them away for awhile. It's hard to create something without having a real destination for it.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Is it allowed to post things here for sale?

No, you have to go through the market place to sell items.

http://davesgarden.com/products/market/

Go to the home page for DG, then look at the tabs on the top, you will see marketplace ther.

This message was edited Feb 12, 2012 8:29 AM

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, taters55- I just posted my embroidered blocks for sale in the Arts & Crafts section. I decided I just can't use them-

So I just started a jelly roll race........................
my 1st seam was 850" long and took me 50 min to sew.
I just grabbed 2 1/2" pieces out of my scrap box avoiding any that were very "dark". The shortest scrap was 15" and the longest ~50.
I'm now ready to iron and start the 2nd seam.

Jo we do have a swap thread in this forum. You can post what you have and what you want, or just what you need or want to give away. I'll look for it and post a link.

Here tis: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152083/

This message was edited Feb 12, 2012 10:53 AM

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Jean how did you cut the ends to join them? Straight or on the diagonal?

Diagonal seams for joining.

Besides the nice look it reduces bulk.

Sew them on the diagonal like you do for a binding.

Thanks Jean, was curious after reading on one of the threads about trying it with the seams cut straight.

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

I can't seem to get the angle seams for binding. Tried when I first started quilting and they always came out zig- zag. Maybe now that I'm a bit more familiar with the sewing thing, I'll try again when I finish my current projects.

Finished the front for the Best of Winners (Blue and White) trophy wall quilt for the Nationals yesterday and started the Best of Breed Lap Q. Then to the auction lap Q. I'm a bit behind where I wanted to be, but can work on things evenings this week.

Just got news that the boy we sold from our last litter will be coming back. as per our contract. Leo wasn't showing for him and he didn;t want to keep him if he wasn't showing. He's with a friend of ours who's been working with him. He's very loving, but goes to ground when a lead goes on him. Going to see if he will come around here and see if we can get home comfortable showing, but not something we were expecting.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=pZR6ls_IsIo.

This shows how to make the diagonal cut for bindings.

Phoenix, AZ

Believe it or not, another rag quilt :)
This one is for a little boy. Need to do all the clipping....sigh....

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

Stuart, sorry to hear you had one little under-performer with all the OUTSTANDING pups you got from that litter I suppose getting ONE isn't half bad!! Like you said, he may come around yet.

Fish, you are GLUTTON for punishment!! LOL BEAUTIFUL as usual!

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

We think that there's something we're not being told about possibly.... something that may have happened at his home. We'll see. It'll probably be next fall before we know if he wants to show, but that's OK. It's OK if he doesn't. We have some that just don't like the ring. Both the mom and grandmom of the boy we just showed at Eukanuba didn't like to show, so we didn't force them. But the entire litter of three boys (our first litter ever) all love to and the last is nearly a champion. They're like kids....... you expose them to the ring and, if they don't like it, it's not forced on them (we're not stage parents).

Victoria Harbour, ON

stu, my sister was there with one of her American Eskimo, she did very well..today Inut is competing in New York City 'Westminster' show at 10 or 10:30am..he's won Best of Breed 3 years in a row, she is hoping for a 4th it isn't optimistic!

Keeps hoping one year they will make American Eskimo best in show...

"we're not stage parents)" LOL

I competed a horse in "Play Days" for a short time, I didn't like what it did to his personality and stopped. So we went back to pleasure riding outside the ring. Guess it suited us better!

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, everyone! Today's Dear Abby column mentioned something I thought some of you may be interested in. It's a project that makes blankets for needy kids. Here's the link to their website:
http://www.projectlinus.org/

Well Stu, the little boy may just wants to be a loving pet to someone instead. Nice to see you attitude about showing----where I live it is the beauty shows for little girls. I won't even get started on those!!!!!!!

I also have to review every time I go to miter strips together. It seems I just can't keep that information clear in my brain lately. Maybe to much going on--who knows.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.