-
AuthorContent
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 11, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9002606

Beginning the 2012 ponding year! :) Happy ponding to all!

Thumbnail by MerryMary
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 11, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9002749

Yay! I got here first. Morning you all!!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9002894

Bea beat me to it... Thanks Bea!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9002956

Fish better humker down, Central Fl. is going down cold tonight and tomorrow.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 11, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9003027

We are still sitting in the 30-35F range. Wonderful!! I found a corpse I spotted about a month ago but couldn't fish out. Still can't. But I am sluffing snow off the sides into the pool to introduce new water as it melts. It is clean so should be good for the pond. Ice on top is melting helped by the pump circulating water down below. Saw one goldfish down below this morning.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 11, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9003087

Sorry about the sideways picture! Anywhoooo... :)

Bonnie, I don't know if I have the time or energy today to get the plants covered again. Bought 2 small (2 foot) lemon trees that have blossoms on them. I'll just carry those inside for the night, I think the rest will either make it, or not. Many of the smaller annuals, like coleus, didn't survive the last snap we had, even though they were covered...so I may just let them meet their Maker, and start from scratch in the spring.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9003173

I know what you mean MM. I brought all hanging planters inside plus all the trays I set seeds out in (about 200).
I covered a few things out front but a lot of stuff is all budded out and may be damaged beyond help. Oh well, we just live with the weather whatever it is.
MM you know you can always get cuttings from anything here in spring. Same zone so should make it at your place if it makes here.
Oberon,
Sorry you lost a fish. I know you'll be glad to see summer come.

Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 11, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9003201

thanks Bonnie. Actually that is the third one this winter. All goldfish I think. Except this last one is silver like one of my koi. I don't think it is a koi but until I can fish the corpse out I can't see well enough.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9003234

Mary Stella

Let us know when you are able to get your poor little fish.

I am sorry for your loss.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 11, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9003279

Well I got him and it is the platinum koi we worked so hard to save last year. He grew a lot in the pond and is much bigger than when we first got him. I don't see much on him to indicate what killed him. The spots we 'cured' are nice and white and clean. There is some red around his anus, a touch at the attachment of the pectorals to the body but nothing major. I guess I could cut him open to see but don't know what difference it makes. A real bummer.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9003286

Mary

I am sorry. We worked hard on him- do you have a microscope? Could you take a swabbing of his gills and put it under the microscope? It is worth a look.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 11, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9003331

Yeah, you were really all but here personally to help. I looked in his gills but they looked clean and healthy. I can ask around to see if anyone else has a microscope and give it a try. Damien sent an email and said "No more expensive imports ---PLEASESSSSSS." I guess he's right. Will see how the rest fair come spring - although it smells and feels like spring now.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 11, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9003356

If there's slight redness, I'dd add a little bacteria/enzyme (some of them work in colder waters) If you don't want to do it now, as soon as you get a thaw, and water temps get above 55, I'd add some, to keep the rest of the fish healthy. I'm so sorry for your loss, maybe his immune system had not gotten back to 100% just yet.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 11, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9003503

Quite possibly. We really stressed in trying to cure him of his ulcers. I have a gold one who we ended up treating also. No sign of him yet. I always add bacteria when the ice goes out, even before it is 55F in the water. And yes, it is a cold water bacteria from MicrobeLift. What bacteria/enzyme do you all use?
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9003781

I use Pondzyme.
My son brought me a new fish yesterday a shubunkin about 8" long and his pond is heated so considering our temps last night I don't know yet if he made it thru the nite. The pond is covered with leaves so its hard to see. Both my birdbaths were frozen over this morning. 25 mile per hr. winds yesterday made it seem very uncomfortable. Supposed to go down to night again. Doesn't sound like Florida does it? I remember back in the 80's when all the orange trees froze now that was a pitiful sight. We lost all our grove as did many others. I still miss them. All we had was 10 acres in fruit but it provided a lot of privacy around the house plus a little check ea. year. Larger growers really lost a lot.
Oh well thats life. Sun is shining so maybe it will warm up some today during the day.
Have a good week all.
Oberon I hope you don't have any more dead fish. I know that discouraging but maybe it will be just that one.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9003823

We jump start with the Microbelift Spring start up. DH and I love the premeasured packets you can just throw into the pond without having to worry about measuring or anything. Then, we use the pondzyme. Pondzyme is put in every week during the ponding season.

MS - I am wondering if it is you thick layer of ice and extreme weather - extreme in my mind, but probably not yours. Have you considered a pond heater? I have no idea how much they cost or how much they cost to run.

I do think there is a good possibility your fish went into the winter in a weakened state. I know you were running out of time with his illness and the start of the winter.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 12, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9003866

You're right on the 'running out of time'. I have actually checked out a pond heater. OMG! The cost of the heater is awful and the electricity draw would break the house. Just isn't feasible. I have the same spring start up then switch to MicrobLift PL. Probably about the same as Ponzyme.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 4, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9029271

Oak pollen is everywhere! It's clogging all the filters. Time to get clean everything out!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 4, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9029282

http://www.novalek.com/kordon/breathing_bags/index.htm

Bonnie, I have some 11 x 16 airless bags, but not the regular kind. Will these be big enough?
If they are too small, I've transported fish in rubbermaid tubbies before (minimal water just to the dorsal fin)
I'd sedate them slightly.

Mary
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9029294

Your bags should be large enough. If we can't get tog. I am going to use that 4 foot cooler.
What do you sedate them with?? I think thats a good idea. Are you referring to stress coat?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 4, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9029449

I use Finquel if I really need them sedated (like treating a body wound, etc) but there is also a tablet called Bag Buddies, which is sort of like stress coat, but also adds oxygen to the water AND mildly sedates them.

http://www.sdpondandgarden.com/Jungle-Labs/Bag-Buddies-p-325.html

Maybe you can get them to overnight them to you? I'm not sure locally where to find them, I ordered mine online. I'll look to see if I have any left. :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9029895

MM,
We are going to be good on air cause Jeff is buying a 12 volt converter tomorrow and I have a power outlet in the back of my van which I didn't even know what it was for. He has an 8 or 10" air stone to use with it.
Don't have time to order anything. Will get some stress coat locally.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9031416

WHAT A DAY. Bought 3 pumps installed them all and returned 2 to stores and water still isn't flowing to filter so tomorrow will be dig up the lines day. Both newer ponds are already black. Wouldn't even know theres a fish in them if I din't know it. Ahhhh the joys of ponding. To say I have an unhappy husb. would be putting it mild.

Son is coming over to help solve delema. I may just get lost doing someting else as I have a whopper of a head cold. I WILL dig up lines as that will help process along. I really think there is a blockage along the way somewhere. Wish it had come at a different time. Was going to put fish in that small pond so we could catch easier Fri. to take to show. Nothing good ever comes easy does it.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 5, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9031495

I had to pull the pumps today and get the oak leaves and pollen out of them...blew the lines out with the jet spray from the hose (more oak leaves) Definitely helped the flow, and now with the filters can begin to clean the water again. Also changed the UV bulbs (which hasn't been done in a year) Hopefully, the water can start to clear again, it hasn't been this bad in a long time, and I know it's all particulate matter from the oak and camphor trees...leaves, berries, and pollen. Backwashed the filters 3 times, about an hour apart.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9033193

Know what you mean MM. This has been a particularly dirty year for ponds.
Pumped old pond down this mroning. Put 3 for show in smallest pond as Charlie fixed lines yesterday.
Jeff took all your babies out and they are in larger new pond. I finally scooped up babies in old pond and they are resting in tub but will have to go in with all the rest in larger of new ponds as I decided to really clean out old pond with pressure washer. It is really cruddy. Reached down inside skimmer around pump and its a wonder it ran so loaded with leaves and its under a basket with filter material in it but its really gunky. I'll get my big shop vac. Might as well do a good job while I'm at it. I'll shove the river rock to ea. side and vac. pond bottom.

I'll do the other 2 ponds after the show this weekend. Boy are we gluttens for punishment. Jeff is coming over again to help however he can. It's nice to have a son that is interested in what I am .

Mary hoping to see you there but not sure exactly what time I'll get there but I'm going to check on my fish for sure.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 7, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9033381

I'm not sure what day I'll be there...if I go alone, it will be Friday before 3:00...If I go with the hubbie, it will be Sunday...Saturday is up in the air.
Best of luck with your fish!
:)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9034260

Mary,
Fri. is registration etc. from 1 to 5. Other days everything is closing down at 5PM from last info. They have changed a few things. Koi clubs site differs from CFKS site. Oh well we will haul them tomorrow.
Jeff had a catching accident with his fish and it lost 2 scales so maybe they will refuse it but what the heck I told him to still take it. Its all just for fun anyway.
Hope you get there.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9035560

Good luck this weekend Bonnie! :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9036115

Bonnie

you will have to tell us about it when you get back!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9038254

Bonnie,
Headed out to the show today. Couldn't find you, then thought you were maybe at church and not headed out there today.
Definitely should have taken more money...I now know for next year! Bought a whole new filtration system, was cut a great deal (they didn't want to pack it back up and ship it out) That took all of the cash...There was a guy who was selling his 4-6 inch fish for $2 just to get rid of them, I should have bought a bag full! But didn't...having already spent a huge chunk on the filter. It was cold and rainy, being mostly outdoor-ish, but I enjoyed it anyway!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 11, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9038314

I noticed that I have algae growing around my pond deicer. As the temp is only 21F, and has been fairly cool for some days, it must be just the warmth from the heater plus the clear skies. Even if it is cold outside, the sun pouring into the house just lifts our spirits. Have more seeds to plant today, and some coming in the mail from OSPS. Couldn't resist. Talk about coals to Newcastle.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9038369

KOI SHOW IS OVER
I am exhausted. My son won 2nd in its class of Kawarigoi Size 3. My 3 got honorable mention in their classes. He was so thrilled he was on cloud 9. He is ready for another koi show.
Had to wait for him after church so we got there about 2PM and everybodys fish were gone but ours. Vendors were already packed up.
Yesterday we bought some fish. I got an asagi and 2 others that were gray and yellow. He got a black & white and black & yellow.
This morning I found a dead fish in upper larger pond. Just like someone elses. Had red around both front fins but no other signs of harm. I'm just praying it doesn't spread to whole pond as I have a lot in that pond now due to old pond being pumped out for cleaning.
Mary Fri. & Sat. weather was perfect. Took judges over 4 hrs. to judge and no one was allowed under the tent around the show tanks at that time.
I couldn't get any good pics with my instamatic camera it was too slow. Jeff took many pics which he and techy friend will edit and make into video for YouTube at which time I will post on here.

There were 208 entries all tog. Orlando Area Koi & Pond Club members really worked hard. Sherri & Joe White were so very helpful to us.

Met lods of nice folks and new breeders from all over US and Japan. Mary I hope you got to see that 4 foot kahaku. He got his own cooler lined with styrafoam under plastic bag lining cooler. They are really someting to handle.

Thoroughly enjoyed it but really tired. Would have helped if I didn't have a cold hanging on. Show staff took excellent care of fish and all tanks were netted immediately after we put fish it we pulled net around it.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9038412

I saw several of the HUGE fish! Wow, makes my 24 inch-ers look like kindergartners! I love butterfly, and the one tank had a huge sanke butterfly in it. Even my husband was impressed!.
Maybe next year we should plan a Water Garden/Pond Round Up around the time they have the koi show! That would be fun, and a great time for out of staters to come to Orlando! :)
I forgot to go back and get my variegated water celery from the guy in the back, but I'll just go ahead and order some.
We must have left right around the time you were arriving. I wanted to go home with some extra blue shusui and asagi, but ran out of time and moola! Next year I'll plan ahead, both financially AND take either the SUV or trailer.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9038732

Sherri White offered to e-mail me a list of the winners. Not sure I can line up fish with owners but can try. I'm very interested in learning all the categorys. We missed the walk-thru with the judges when discussing all the different attributes they look for which was at 10AM Sun. morning. Learned a lot from talking to Robert Lewis, owner of Carolina Koi Farm in Hollywood, NC. Sat. they wern't busy so he volunteered a lot of info. on selective breeding for color. I asked everybody about the blue and mainly got quite a few laughs. Jeff says I'm chasing a unicorn. Thats nothing new for me. I won't give up. The asagi I bought is about 8" and had tint of blue on its upper sides. Still want a really blue one. They acted like they didn't exist and I know they do.
Glad you got good deal on filtration system. Thats important.
Tomorrow I plan to start cleanup on oldest pond. It is really a mess with leaves so thick on bottom and pump is loaded with leaves even tho its down inside of skimmer. AES folks used my chairs when we were out walking the tanks and inside hotel. That hotel has been their venue spot for a few years so they probably wil hold it there next year. Yound guy that is pres. of club now Jeff used to work with at Pace Elec. so he met a friend as soon as he climbed out of my car. Wants me to contact Pond Hoppers in Gainesvile to see when their koi show will be. He is really excited about it now. I was so happy for him. Now that we have joined the club we should receive a newsletter periodically. I think the next meeting is in April. Did you join? Also, watch the plant RU forum as I think Apopka John is going to host next one. Hope so cause thats real close.
Happy ponding Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9038845

You have to call the blue ones "shusui"...and I saw them there! There was a really pretty one that was 10-12 inches in the middle of the tent tubbie. The little one I have for you isn't the cream of the crop of the shusuis, but at least proves that they DO certainly exist! :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9043038

I'm sure they exist and I'm not giving up on finding a really easily identifiable blue. You know how it is when you get something stuck in your mind well thats me.
Now I need to concentrate on setting up nursery for eggs from my red & black mommy. Checked her today and she looks ready to burst.
Just got 3 big ones back in their pond today but couldn't catch smaller ones. Will get Jeff to help me when he's off work. BTW that asagi I bought is also butterfly. Bought the yellow & gray ones just cause they were pretty. They are about 5 inches long.
Spent the day separating pond plants and repotting them. Since I cleaned out the skimmer on that pond from all the gunk and leaves the waterfall is now running at top speed. I love the noise.
Happy Ponding.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 14, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9043153

Bonnie,
Are you home on Friday?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 15, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9044177

I am going to try to save some of my baby fish, either koi or gold fish - no way to know. I found a Fish Net Breeder to go into the pond but I don't know what to feed them. Suggestions?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 15, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9044322

Order some spirulina powder or egg yolk powder to start them off with. If they are already swimming about freely, you can use crushed flake food. They make high protien koi food that comes in a very small pellet, available on ebay.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 15, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9044364

thanks
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9046841

MM,
Sorry I didn't respond. I've got my hands full. So far I've had 7 fish die. Old pond cleaned out too well. Put 2 gold butterfly and 1 hahaku in there and didn't have enought good bacteria in place, amonia levels shot up, they developed swim bladder infection. Got all the meds to treat that and they look like they will make it. Smallest pond has proven fatal and its joined to other pond with culvert.
7 fish died in that one. Thats the pond we put newly bought fish in (FIRST MISTAKE0. Today my grandsons were here so we removed all the rocks from those ponds and found some very small red worms and other critter that reminds me of a bed bug. Jeff also lost one fish he bought and I had put that one in smallest pond straight from show tank. Tomorrow I will pump out both newer ponds and start from scratch with salt, anti-parasite meds and also have on hand amonia drop med. I'm testing water 3 times a day. Fish biologist at Acquatic Eco. Sys. is working with me on this. He has been a great help. All small fish have had milky eyes, costia, and red spots under skin which resembles skin flukes. I have a hospital tank set up and if situation demands I'm going to do a salt dip for 90 seconds and immediately return to some fresh water. Good thing I have 3 small tubs I can utilize. I'm going to treat for parassitic and bacterial infections. Worse part is moving them lowers their immune system more. None of the goldfish (so far) have shown any signs of sickness. Boy am I getting an education and an expensive one. Can't run the UV while treating with good bacteria cause that would nul the process of establishing. He said only run a few hrs. during the day and add bacteria at night. I was out around the ponds with spotlight at midnight and a car stopped out front and thought we were being robbed. Was nice of them to ask. Now they know a nut lives on this road. NEVER thought I'd go thru this for a bunch of fish. I'm sure now I'm addicted. And we also added more aeration to all the ponds with new air stones and a small fountain Jeff put in today in smallest pond. He immediately treated his pond with antiparasite meds. He has been so helpful.
Got to hit the sack tomorrow will be another day of pond work after church. Wish me luck and knowledge.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9047193

OH gosh Bonnie,
I just posted the questions you just answered, on the other forum page. The red worms are healthy for your pond. I get concerned when I DONT see them in my filters.
I have extra fish for you, so once you get the water balanced, we'll reload your pond.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

March 18, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9047663

It's been high 60 and 70's here so i started feeding my kois. Water is clear !!
I had been getting my beds ready for planting and found lots of earthworms so the kois had earthworm treats., they love them.

Happy ponding!!!

Belle

This message was edited Mar 18, 2012 6:55 PM
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 18, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9047718

Hmm. I don't think mine are big enough to eat them. Well maybe the biggest one is anticipating they seem to come out of the winter bigger than they went in. Will have to try that.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9049864

So far have lost 14 fish. All the small ones and largest goldfish leaped out of sick tank yesterday and was too late when I found him even tho I was working near tanks.
Not sure those redworms were the good bloodworms. We measured one and it was 1/4". Info I looked up said they were about 1/16".
Pressure washer blew up yesterday so I poured bleach into pond and got in on hands and knees and scrubbed it with hand scrub brush. Rinsed it twice and will riinse it again today. Hopefully my pond pump will hold up cause it empties ponds fast.
Beautiful fountain was too hard to clean so I got Charlie and my Kubota to take it out and it will be placed up in flower bed #3 and just re-circulate. He is bldg. a fountain that will shoot up in the air and airate water much better and promote fish lung health. If necessary I will buy a large airater as those 2 ponds have no waterfall for airation.
Many lessons learned and a lot of physical work but hopefully I will get all straightened out. So far none of the large beautiful fish have died. Their bladder infection SEEMS to have been solved. I'm keeping a schedule of meds and bacteria written down as I'd never remember it all in a timely manner.
From what I have studied giving them a shot works much faster when fighting bacterial or parasitic infections. I can learn how to do it I'm sure.
Thank God all those rocks I removed from ponds are small. Got to go get Kubota and load up bucket and get them out of the way so we can work around ponds in peace.
I'm still optimistic about keeping fish even tho friends think I'm nuts. Heck I knew that years ago. I feel its still very rewarding.
Thanks MM I'll keep in touch. Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9049878

BTW SOMEONE HAS SENT ME A D-MAIL AND IT WON'T COME UP. SORRY I CAN'T REPLY.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 20, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9050030

Keep going Bonnie. Surely sounds like you are doing all the right stuff. What an effort. Hopefully you can keep the kill rate down to the 14. You lost the smaller ones and I always lost the big guys in the first few years. I am going to get Prazi into my pond the minute I can. Still hanging onto two of the seven koi I bought last year. At least I hope I have them. Won't know til the ice goes. but no corpses so that is a good sign.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9050096

Bonnie

so sorry to hear - let us know.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9050624

Forgot to change out water in tubs this morning. It was 7:30PM when I remembered. 3 more dead. I changed all water and put in more meds Amonia had gotton too high. Would be cheaper to just dig a hole and put all of them in it and wait until I get ponds started up right and try again.
So far (not bragging) haven't lost any of the large pretty ones in old pond which I pumped out completely and pressure washed everything before going to koi show. It has salt and med & amonia down in it so who knows maybe they will survive. Swim bladder problem seems to have gone for now. 3 years and no problems until I buy fish from different vendors at show and put right in pond. I sure have learned a lesson in more ways than one.
Oberon I sincerely hope you don't have problems with your fish.
My ratio for salt was 1 lb. per 100 gals. Don't need any more until water evaporates some.
Ratio for good bacteria is 1 quart per week 4 times with UV shut off.
Med is so many tbles. per 100 gals.
Amquel for amonia which was way too high only took 1 does to bring it down.

I am testing water twice a day, AM and PM. I am paranoid now about the amonia. Biologist told me shots work faster if fish have intestinal parasites or bacterial infections. I am going to learn how to give them shots. Two places either behind gills 1" or 1 1/2" from tail base. I'm going to freeze one of the corps and take it over to Acquatic Eco and biologist said he will show me. Local vet said I would have to bring fish to his office so I just laughed at him. I asked him if he had a rolling 200 gal. tank I could borrow. I think he got the message. He's a cat & dog vet primarily but says he can work on fish. I told him I needed a wet vet and I think he was insulsted. At that point I didn't care.
Will continue to keep trying. Geeze sounds like my own soap opera.
May all your fish stay well.
One more thing, they aren't eating well and thats a good thing. Just a little dab is all there cleaning up.
To be continued. Hope all your fish stay well.

Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 20, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9050644

Jeez, Bonnie. You are going to be the go to person for all things fish soon. I have a gallon of amquel I have never opened if you want it. I will send it down as inexpensively as I can. Darned stuff is expensive and I didn't need it. Just paniced one year and ordered everything in sight. I don't know if it has a shelf life but I think I bought it maybe 2009.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9050669

Bonnie...glad you are well on your way now. What a tremendous undertaking...There's usually a listing in the back of the koi magazine for "fish vets" in different areas of the city. I'll see if I can find the list for you.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9050671

Bonnie

I am not understanding why your ammonia levels are so high. I know if you add Microbelift that it will bring down the ammonia levels. I do know if your ammonia levels are out of wack - odds are the nitrates and nitrites are probably out of wack as well.

I do think it was an excellent idea to get the rocks/stones out of the bottom of the ponds. It is so much harder to keep the pond clean with the rock bottom and anaerobic bacterias will start with the gunk in the rocks. This could cause the higher ammonia levels.

How big is your holding tank for your sick fish and how many fish do you have in the sick tank? Also, have you looked at the bigger aerators? I would believe that oxygen levels would be an issue in ponds in the south.

One other thing - I know when you do give a salt bath, you are supposed to keep the fish in the bath until they fall over. I don't think the 90 seconds are enough. The salt will take care of 7 out of the 9 parasites.

Have you taken a look at your fish's gills and taken some scrapings/swabbings from your fish and put them under a microscope?

I hope things get better for you soon. I have been where you are before and it is so disheartening.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9050726

Carolyn,
Youre right about the oxygen levels in the south...that's really the only pond problem I've had in the past. My husband ran out and got more air pumps (I was gone for the weekend) but still lost several of my HUGE fish. I learned the hard way on that one! I worry about this being the La Nina weather year, and everyone's temps already being higher than normal. That usually means an overly active hurricane season. When the big ones went through Florida, several years ago, I didn't have power for a week...and I worry about my ponds now, should that happen again this summer. I need to buy another generator.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9050739

Hi Carolyn,
Amonia level was too high in old pond because I had just refilled it after a thorough cleaning and it had no good bacteria in it. One lesson learned.
I had 4 sick tanks set up. Two for very small fish, one for medium sized fish and one for large gold fish. Didn't count very small fish but they are mostly dead now. Still have 2 sick tanks operating. I'm getting exhausted from the whole procedure and very disheartened.
Biologist told me to forget the salt dip and use parasitic meds which can remain in tubs as long as I change water ea. day and re-add along with Amquel and very small amt. of salt. He said most people don't realize fish will turn white in dip but as soon as you return them to fresh water their color comes back. Don't really want to try that so I'll stick with every day water change and new meds. Babies get shook up even with water changing and I bucket it out slowly and put hose on soft to refil. Lost 3 more today. Thats why I'm down to just 2 sick tanks from 4.
Don't have a microscope and I wouldn't know what I was looking for anyhow. Think about 20 have croaked so far. If this happens again I'm going to dig a hole and just bury them all and start over fresh with pond pump out and treat water and test, test, test before I put a thing into pond. I've learned a hard lesson. I'm thankful old pond seems to have straightened out and large pretty fish are still living.
Dont have many in there but fish overload can cause amonia problems also whch leads to nitrite and then nitrate problems.
Biologist agreed with me that I shouldn't have bought fish from different vendors at show and brought them home and into ponds without quaranteening them first plus parasite dip just to be sure. Will never move my favorites again just to show them. My son bought 2 and he has lost them also. I won't even put a snail in there either without dipping it first. The largest sick tank is about 30 gals and it will be kept ready at all times. I have the perfect spot for it right near ponds and only takes minutes to fill with fresh water. I'll never be caught short withhout meds again.
You are right about aeration. My DH just built a fountain as we removed the pretty one and its going in one of my flower beds as just a re-cirlculating bird bath fountain. New one has 2 patterns 1 straight up with showers to the side or a 4 to 5 foot mushroom pattern which I feel is better and sure looks great. He's got to do some valve changes to allow more water to come out but once thats done and we try it out maybe I'll get brave enough to refill 2 latest built ponds. They are connected with a PVC culvert. My son Jeff bought me a smaller mushroom fountain for little pond so they can look alike.
When all is changed I will take some pics. Easier than trying to describe.
Oh another thing I learned--just because water is crystal clear doesn't mean its healthy. Wowee am I getting an education.
Carolyn I hope your pond start up goes fine.
Oberon thanks so much for your thoughtfullness. No sweat I have spent way over $200. and have gallon of Amquel which does its job with just a little bit. Ordered more good bacteria today in pouches pre measured to set up refills of 2 pumped out ponds. Have a full bottle of meds still to go if I need it. Bought 2 40 pd. bags of salt so well fixed there. Bought new test kit. I'm testing water parameters twice a day until all gets balanced. Glad its almost time for my social security to come in.
Got my own soap opera going here. I cried at first but now I'm over it. All will be well or all will become water gardens full of plants. LOL
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9050743

Good point MM. We have a generator but another one wouldn't hurt. We went to Ga. to get ours cause there were no more in Fl. during that last hurricane scare.
Ah the challenges of nature.

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2012
1:47 AM

Post #9051001

Oh Bonnie - I am so sorry you are going through this - yes it is quite an experience as DH and I have been there as well. Fish overload will do it, but if you have the filtration, it shoud cover the fish overload. I know that tends to be a risky way of looking at things.

Don't know what you are willing to spend, but extra aeration at the bottom of your pond goes a long way. We put on the aeration in addtion to the pumps when the water temps are over 80 degrees - even though I am in the cooler zone, this does happen every summer. DH bought an aerator that is for not quite twice the size of the pond. The other thing that is nice is when we go away, we can turn off the main pumps and turn on the aerator so we don't burn any pumps, nor lose a significant amount of water if we are gone. Foster and Smith has a nice selection. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pond-supplies/pond-aeration/ps/c/5163/9326

Wishing things were better -
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

March 21, 2012
2:03 AM

Post #9051010

my pump runs 24/7 all year round with extra aerator.It happened to me years ago when i had abundance of kois so I am very cautious.

Belle

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9051143

I know I didn't have fish overload as they were all seperated into 3 ponds. I see now many factors caused these problems. Pumps run 24/7 year round. As of now only enough fish for 2 ponds but thats ok. New fountain Charlie built will cause more air but may buy aerator also.
Everything was fine until we brought in fish from show. Many new lessons learned. I'm just thankful I haven't lost my largest beautiful butterfly koi.
I appreciate all your suggestions from everyone especially the encouragement.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9055704

Filled up 2 connected ponds yesterday, put the goldfish in and ugly koi. Came home from church work today and pond was almost empty. Moved fish, pumped out pond, another 1" slit found and being patched now.
One day we'll get it straightened out. Meanwhile I am going to apply for a job in fish moving you know like moving households. LOL
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 24, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9055722

Jeepers Bonnie, 'who' did you P.O???
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9055810

Sheeeeeeeesh! What a day to day event Bonnie! It cracks me up that you keep saying "the ugly one" and yet you've moved him like 17 times so far! :D
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9056356

Poor baby. He can't help it that he is ugly!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9056775

Is it one of the ones I have you en mass? I wasn't sure what they'd turn out to be... :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9056831

Not sure Mary if he's one of yours but at least he's still living. Filled pond up again this afternoon and it it hasn't all leaked out AGAIN tomorrow I'll put good bacteria in and get all the filtration turned on and then ugly will have to move back into large pond and also gold fish. I gotta hand it to them their tough.
Older fish in old pond must know I was trying to keep them alive cause now they come right to me along one side when I call to them and then they eat. Charlie says its cause they know they are going to be fed. Wish he hadn't burst my bubble.
Next weekend I'm going to upgrade them to Ultra Balance food. They really deserve a reward.
Charlie has surpsied me with patience considrering he's not really a fish person. We can only hope.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9062443

All ponds up and running. Put goldfish back into larger pond but Mr. Ugly and a few others didn't want to go so I said ok. stay where you are until I feel like wading and netting them.
Tomorrow son and I are going to fish farm to get new food for all. I had better not look at any new butterfly koi. New fish we got from there lived through it all. Took one to show and it only had swim bladder problem for a couple of days until salt & meds cured him. He is a pretty kahaku, red & white.
Hope the fish stay happy for a while as I have another job to look into. Either my intake screen is plugged up with mud and grass or our canal is too low on water to pump anymore. So goes my irrigation system. Please pray for rain for central Florida we need it very bad. Once before it went completely dry and thats 18 feet of water. Cows love to go in for a dip when its hot plus thats part of their drinking water. Fire danger is so hire our county has banned burning of any type. I'd hate to run our well dry but I watered from it before during drought and it held up. I use a lot of water on plants.
Seems what rain we do have is all over near the east coast on the beaches where they don't want it cause hurts bathing bus. We need it bad.
M Mary, have you had any rain?
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9062973

Bonnie,
No rain here either. I thought about filling everything I can, while there's still a bit of water. There's a guy on craigslist that has jumbo food grade plastic barrels. They're fairly cheap, for $20, he'll add a spiggot to it. I think I may grab a few, put them on the side of the house, and fill them up. If we get too much of a drought going, I will have a little back up water. Supposedly, with this being the LaNina year (once every 4 years, after the LaNino year) we should have a higher than average level of summer storms, tropical storms, and hurricanes. I'd prefer no hurricanes, but they're saying the Gulf temp is already 6 degrees warmer than normal for this time of year, so I'm sure they're coming at some point.
Had back surgery yesterday and have a lot of pain, and I'm not usually a pain sissy, but this is kicking my behind, I must admit.
As soon as I'm up and running again, I want to really get cranking in the yard. I bought some separation pens for my koi...if I see them spawning, I want to separate the yellows, the blues, etc...and try to get some more focused off-spring. They pens are about 3 feet big, and float, so once the fish are done spawning, I can leave them where they are, with the eggs inside to hatch. It's my new theory for the year,lol, but right now I'm medicated, so I'm sure I'll come up with a billion of them before the day is through! :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9064457

Got a little rain today but didn't last long enough.
Mary, I am sorry you had to have back surgery. Thats no fun and a delicate place to have surgery.
If there is anything I can do to help you just call me I will be glad to help out. Had 5 surgeries years ago and recovery is a bummer.
When you have time tell me where I can look up a pic of koi pens. I would think Acquatic Eco. would have something like that. I'll check their site as catalogue doesn't have everything they offer.
Didn't get over to fish farm Fri. so we are plananing next Tues. I'm almost completely out of koi food so need to go.
Take good care of yourself and don't push getting up and working in yard or you will set yourself back and experience more pain. I speak from experience.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 31, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9064508

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260515279964?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

See if you can cut and paste that link to see the koi pen. I got it off ebay (I like things shipped directly to my front porch)

I also get my bulk fish food off ebay, so I can adjust the percentage of protien during different parts of the season. I'm getting ready to order some more food, and will up the level to 38-45% to get the fish nice and healthy for spawning. It also keeps the water cleaner when you feed them with higher levels of protein (they digest most of it instead of pooping it out!) Figue out price per pound, and then see if you get a better deal from ebay, than store food.

My pain meds (which I'm really against taking) are keeping me comfy, but I'm really ready to get up and running...and Bonnie, you're a wise woman, lol, I'm pretty sure I WILL do something prematurely and regret it later. I wanted to work outside all day today. It's been my first day off in a looooong time, and everyone was gone, so I could have gotten so much done! I fed my fish, but was a bit wobbly, so decided not to venture too far out into the yard.

The short 30minutes of rain was wonderful.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9064523

Oh Mary - feel better soon. Back surgery is definitely a big deal. Just take care of yourself and don't do too much too soon.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9064814

Tell her Carolyn, its evident she's not listening to me.
Showed Charlie koi pen and you know what answer was-I can build that in about 15 mins. So I said fine build one for old pond. We have lots of PVC pipe & fittings from days of putting in irrigation and soft netting & cable ties in my workroom. Won't cost us anaything to try.
Wil check out koi food on E-Bay. Jeff can do the buying cause I don't have an acct. and better not start one.
PLEASE take it easy so that once you bounce back it will be without relapse.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 31, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9064875

I honestly will give myself a bit of time to heal...I'm not a spring chicken anymore, and things don't heal as quickly as they used to! (nor as completely!) I've had great success with the vendors on ebay. Always look at their feedback, and take into consideration the shipping cost on top of the bid price. There are 4 or so koi food vendors I use, and try (with shipping) to stick with under $4 per pound. Closer to $2.50 when it's lower protien. Of course the more you get, the better price per pound you get. I just keep it in a large plastic trash can with a lid.
I just ordered some caladiums too. Can't resist the color they offer! One of the Dave'sG people sells on ebay, and his bulbs are healthy and produce beautiful plants. He told me tonight the caladium festival will be the last weekend of August, and he'll have an open house at his shop. Yay! :)
pondlove
Lewes, DE

April 1, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9065155

I buy Blueridge fish food online. It's designed for both goldfish and koi. My fish love it and the price is very good.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9065918

The Ultra Balance I'm buying is $2. per pd. and 45% protein. Not sure the rate I'm going I'll even need it.
When I came home from church one of my big ones in old pond was very lethargic and wouldn't eat. Put up sick tank again with med. and salt. Within 3 hrs. he was covered with white cotton bacterial infection and died this afternoon. PLUS small pond is leaking someplace and is a foot law so can't run pump.
Thinking seriously of tearing them both out and just having oldest pond. OR buy a new larger liner and make it into just one pond. Got to think about it.
Mary take it easy and you'll heal faster.
Bonnie

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 4, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9069734

Just a note. I saw a flash of my first goldfish of the season yesterday. He appears at the top of the rocks coming up from the caves below. Kind of like the doves that Noah sent out to see if they was dry land. He is looking to see if it is safe for the other fish to come out.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 4, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9069737

Oh, and here is how it looks now with a picture of the path from the pond back to the house.

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 4, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9069741

In 2 1/2 months will look like this

This message was edited Apr 4, 2012 11:02 AM

Thumbnail by Oberon46

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9070446

Mary

Yay! I love the comparison with the dove Noah sent out from the Ark.

Joy - feel better soon. Hopefully you will be back to feeling like yourself and be able to sit out in your garden.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9070607

Oberon,
what is that gorgeous pink tree on left of pond?

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9070636

Bonnie...any updates on your pond? I know it's frustrating when things happen all at the same time! Hoping you are getting to the root of it all(?) Would a long cheap liner, to go the length of your stream, maybe work to fix the leak?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 5, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9070701

Bonnie, it is a chokecherry tree. It really is lovely in full bloom although it dumps stems, leaves and seeds onto the garden below and I am picking baby chokecherries out of the yard all summer.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9071160

Oberon, I know what chokecherrys are we have them here. Very messy but its pretty.

Merry Mary,
I worked at fixing problem today. Took sledge hammer and knocked out all cement between and stacked up boulders alongside where new liner will be. Ripped out that ugly culvert Charlie made and will make a planter out of it. Moved all plants from around both ponds. Tomorrow will take out skimmer and then both ponds will be neatly folded up and put on Craigs list. We cured the leaks in large pond and I will find leak in small pond and patch it. All living fish are now back in old pond for now.
Getting quotes on larger liner. Freight is prohibitive on most. Acquatic wants $75. frt. so there out of the picture. Found 1 for $249. 15X25 free freight and its 60 mil which is heavier than what I have had in all of them. I'll keep looking. Only plumbing that will have to be moved is skimmer. All other lines to skippy filter, UV and back into pond will stay the same. At least thats what I'm planning. We set up foundtain that was in pond up in flower bed #3 and I will find a small solar pump to hide inside to re-circulate water in it. If not I'll plant bowl full of flowers. There's always away to make things work and I don't give up easily. Just my back gives up.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 5, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9071210

What a project. I sure have no gripes (yet :) Pond is ice free and looks to stay that way. Added cold water bacteria and as soon as it hits45-50 will start MicrobeLift PL. Hope SVKoi sends the prazi and Proform soon. Might have to send a note and jack them up. I don't expect a problem, but might as well play it safe after last years debacle. No idea why all the big fish died this winter but figure I won't run the pump tubes into their caves again. Maybe too much activity for them. Don't know.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9071235

Oberon,
I sincerely hope you don't encounter any problems with your pond start up. You are wise to treat it ahead of time.
Fish farm we buy from said they use it every spring and fall.
I was there to buy koi food last Tuesday and controlled myself and didn't buy not one fish. I've got too much going on with fixing ponds situation first. Check Happy Ponding thread. Not many happy postings by me on there but it is what iti is.
Good thing I don't give up easily.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 6, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9071882

I should say. And yes, I have been following your incredible woes this spring. No one should have to go through what you have. One thing after another. Well as the saying goes "Old age and craftiness will beat out youth and brilliance every time." I am clinging to that aphorism with all ten fingers.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 6, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9071917

Bonnie...don't buy fish until you look at the next ones I bring you...you have right to refusal, but they're also free!! Save your money for your pond liner. The last time I replaced a liner, I left the old one in, and slit a hole at the bottom for drainage betwee the 2 layers. It's kept roots and pebbles from paking holes from underneath, and was easier than trying to lug that thing out and haul it away!
Without as much rock work, you probably won't have as many issues with leaks, unless it's just plain old plumping leaks, like we all suffer from, from time to time.
Blessings to all of you this weekend!
:)
MMary
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9072319

Bonnie

While you are looking at liners - please bear in mind, that depending upon the company you deal with - some of them have quoted the liner to your house, but there could be an extra charge for getting it off the truck. Some companies will have the liner dropped, but you may have to get the liner to the area you want to put the pond. These liners are quite heavy - DH and I both have back problems so went with somebody local and paid the extra money to have the liner brought to the back of my house and put where I wanted the liner. 60 mil is going to be heavy - Read, the fine print.

Good luck and let us know.

Caroyn
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 6, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9072432

Man, am I glad you are here. I never would have thought of that. Our own consultant!!! looking out for US.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9072532

Mary

We were out of town for the past week. It is good to be home again.

Checked out the fish and they still seem to look ok, although I have not had the opportunity to get down on the ground and look over each one...
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9072595

M Mary,
Both pond liners are all out as of today. My ponds are lined with carpet on bottom and carpet attached to plywood on side walls to avoid cave ins. I have dacron batting stapled over the edge of plywood to keep liner from rubbing a hole there. This pond is a little wider than old ones so will have to dig out more on one side and add more plywood etc. Flat stakes are driven into ground on pond side in front of plywood. This was Charlies idea cause we have cement blocks in back of liner in old pond and I've always been afraid of it leaking where I step on it going down into pond. I also have to dig out section that was in between ponds as it will all become one pond. Charlie doesn't approve but I told him all he has to do is move skimmer and replumb very short distance so don't complain.
NOT buying any fish until pond is installed and up and running for a while. Learned my lesson.
Will let you know when that time occurs Appreciate your offer.

Carolyn,
Already checked out delivery. It's to my house and thats all thats necessary cause I can flip it up into bucket on my Kubota and take it right to pond area. Not getting 60 mil. Found better deal on 45 mil from The Water Garden store in Tenn. which I have bought from before (skimmer) also was freight free. I've been 2 days moving boulders from around both ponds and they were joined with cement so I have no quams about handling a liner. I've got 3 herneated disks & arth. in my back but not so you would notice. When I have pain then I'll notice. LOL My Kubota bucket will lift max. 250 lbs. and liner is just something over 100. No problem. I talked to man at Water Garden about all details and if you don't have any heavy equipment you decision was a wise one. My DH has a bigger tractor with boom on it he built so we usually can handle all lifting jobs. He puts round bales into cows with it and they run around 600 to 1200 pds. over that it struggles.

Yes Oberon we are lucky to have Carolyn. She is always looking out after us. What a blessing she is.
Won't get anything done on pond this weekend as we have lots going on at my church and that comes first.

Hope you all have a richly blessed Easter.

Bonnie

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9076354

My Tina waterlilies started blooming this week, what a pleasant bright spot! I have quite a few fancy guppies in there, as well as some marble(spotted) mollies. I think I see 11 spotted molly babies, so things are looking up for summer!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9076909

M Maary,
Thats great. Hope your back is healing up well.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 4, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9110335

Well, the landscaper just left off his quote. We had to adjust a few things but I am happy with the ideas. The price isn't too horrible. Course, DH hasn't seen it yet. LOL. He knows it will be high. We will be replacing almost 1/2 the rock walls with a concrete wall (skimmer will sit in its own little niche so no more jacking) and the liner laid over that. The pavers will come up to the edge and a tetch over. What I always wanted. Too bad the last guys couldn't figure it out. Too bad I took the cheaper way first. Now that I am used to the liner showing in the bottom I am not at all averse to having it show on the walls part way. The fish will actually have more water accessible with the big rock removed and I can keep it much cleaner. I can also snug pots next to the wall on blocks that will be unobtrusive and easier to maintain. They can start the second week in June. I will be living out there while they work to be sure that we are on the same page this time.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9110369

Sounds like things are going very well. Will be looking forward to seeing a few pictures as the project gets rolling. Make sure to take a few before, during and after shots.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 4, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9110395

I will go out right now and take some of the pond, close ups to see the failing walls. I couldn't be more excited.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9111675

Hi Al,
I have done nothing on the pond and still debating mentally. Been busy with job of 10 cushions for a client which is a great help $$$. Paid off one credit card and after $2,000. more my Kubota will be mine clear. Couldn't get along now without that little helper.
As of today I am starting to clean up our pool cause kids want to come for Mother's Day. It's 44,000 gals. of water in a pool built in 1950's so its a job but worth it as we are already into summer weather here. HOT
Got people from all over wanting to give me fish so I'm leaning toward new larger pond. Have not sold 2 liners from old ponds so I'll just do what Merry Mary suggested and use them as liners for the bottom. Have plenty of old carpet for side underlayment over plywood for walls retainer. Will need more carpet cause pond will be larger but thats no problem. Carpet cos. here are glad to give it away.
Oberon,
glad your getting your remodeling. if it makes you happy its worth doing. Somebody told me I was a fish finatic. Doesn't bother me in the least. I don't shop or travel so I get my kicks with whats right here at home.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL WHO ARE MOTHERS.
Bonnie
ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 1, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9148229

Filled up the pond/outdoor aquarium last weekend. Went to pet store and got some comet goldfish, platties, mollies, rainbow fish and danios. Fish are all getting along fine together. Filter pump sucks the water from a 5 gallon bucket with pea gravel and layers of old carpet. We built the thing 4 feet outside the patio door, so we can see the action.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn   Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 1, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9148234

As expected the algae bloom came after about a week. I think this is a normal reaction until all the animals and plants get balanced. Fish seem to be OK with it. Put some finer filter material in the bucket, and plan to get some live clams to take care of the problem. Then will get more plants growing later. Maybe need to get a nitrate test kit, so we can keep track of the water quality.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn   Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

June 1, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9148317

What a neat idea! It looks so cool and refreshing. When you get the algae under control it will be beautiful.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 1, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9148349

Love it! What a neat idea!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 1, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9148493

Great job! I think you'll really enjoy it...love the glass side! I have guppies, mollies, and platys in my smaller pond, and they all survive very well (the guppies don't handle the really cold winter temps though) Once I get my bigger pond, I'm going to see how they handle being in the vegetative bio-filter edge, with the big 20 inch koi in the deeper water. IF I can get them to stay there, they will be fine, if they decide to swim all over the pond, they'll get eaten, or skimmed into the filter, or who knows what... :)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

June 1, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9148557

We fish (no pun intended) babies out of our biofilter often. Those not consumed by the adults. We put them back in the pond.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9148680

I really like that. What did you use for the open side and where did you get it?
ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 3, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9150434

Our patio is a 12x12 atrium surrounded by the house floor plan, so we see it from inside from many directions. We originally planned to put a fancy fountain out there, but for now it's a pond. This has been do-it-yourself back-burner project for years. By God's grace we're finding the time to get-er-done.
It has rubber pond liner glued to the sides with silicone. Last summer it filled itself up with rain water, and I observed what the natural water conditions were like without any circulation or filter. The surround is a concrete block wall, so we can have a place to sit outside. And being above ground in the florida heat could raise the water temp except it won't get that many hours of direct sunshine because of the nearby rooflines of the house. It's on the north side of the patio door, so there is not much reflection to glare-back at use. The end has thick plate glass 2' by 5' with lots of silicone rubber caulking to pad the glass and seal the liner to it. This week we enjoyed watching the fish "dancing" with their reflection near the glass so we get to see them close-up. Pic was from last fall.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9259915

I love yellow koi! The bright colors show up so well in the pond. This one has big dragon scales and blue eyelids...He's probably 20 inches or so.

Thumbnail by MerryMary

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9259918

Butterflies ( "hirenaga" ) are my favorite!

Thumbnail by MerryMary

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9259921

Family portrait! :)

Thumbnail by MerryMary

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2012
1:27 AM

Post #9260081

Mary

Your yellow koi looks like he has larger scales - does he? I really like the way the larger scales look.

I also love your family portrait.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9260135

Carolyn...yes, he has large one inch scales. I've never seen another like him. Many have a row down their back if they are doitsu, but he's the only over all bright sunny yellow with dragon scales all over that I've been able to get my hands on. He's also very mellow, I just love him. I'll try to get a better picture of his face, his blue eyelids are beautiful!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9260153

Here's a different angle of him and his unique scales...and a little better view of his blue eyelids.

Thumbnail by MerryMary

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

August 31, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9260376

He's beautiful.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9260429

I really love his scales, Mary. He's a beauty and so interesting looking. Have you tried to breed him to see if some of the fry have the dragon scales?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9260445

Next year I think will be his year...I want to breed him with some of the white doitsu butterflies I have. This year, with all of the temp changes from winter on, I had a very difficult time with the spawning. I finally injected the ones that looked egg bound just so they'd eliminate their eggs, but after that mass spawn and me putting all the egg ropes in a separate small pond, wouldn't you know that that night, the Cuban Tree frogs went in the pond and blessed me with a zillion invasive species frog eggs. Grrrr! I tried to scoop as many out as possible, while they still floated on the surface, but in our Florida weather, they hatch by the next day. They ate all of the koi eggs before they could even hatch. I was heartbroken! I even had the netting ready to be put on the next morning, but 10 hours was all it took for the nasty frogs to get in there.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9260448

This one is from last year's spawn. I knew his scales were different even when he was only an inch big. Although I'm not sold on his coloring, I still like to watch him develop. He's growing on me. It's a year old, and probably 9-10 inches?

Thumbnail by MerryMary

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

August 31, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9260518

Oh my. He is so beautiful. Unique. Well, maybe not, but I just love his color.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9260710

Actually he is fairly unique. I'm not sure that I'll keep him, but enjoy watching what he's becoming. (Actually, I think he may be a she, but still to young to know for sure...but it's a very thick bodied fish)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

August 31, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9260730

How about selling him to me? FedExpress would have him here in 24 hours. lol Opssss. Maybe that is a nono here.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9260738

no no #2---if you lived closer, I'd probably give him to you! :)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

August 31, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9260879

Ahhhh, so near yet so far. Near in mind and heart, far in miles and ------ weather!!! LOL
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9261057

MS - when are you going back to Hawaii? You could detour to MM's and pick up the little cutie and take her home. If you didn't tell the airlines you had her, they wouldn't charge you for the extra seat ^^_^^
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

August 31, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9261068

It's funny that you say that...when my daughter was little, before the aiport TSA issues, we moved from Ohio to Florida. She had a 7 inch goldfish in her aquarium that we couln't leave behind. I put it in her diaper wipies container, and put it in her diaper bag. Mr fish survived the flight, the xray machine, and the next 5 years! :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9261069

MM -

Neat story -

My husband told me how he and his mother saved a baby rabbit and because it was motherless smuggled it through Customs from Canada to NYS years ago. The things we do...

This message was edited Aug 31, 2012 10:45 PM
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

September 1, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9261332

I brought a concrete garden rabbit from Portland, Oregon once. Course I was carrying it in a bag on the plane and they thought I was nuts.

It would be quite a detour Carolyn if I was going to Hawaii. Hawaii, Florida, Alaska. The fish might survive but I doubt I would. Nice thought though. And I love the stories about stuff you all have taken (smuggled) on board planes. Opssss. Homeland Security might be watching. I cannot imagine that they would miss anything like that now.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9261471

Lets face it---I'm closest to Merry Mary so little Unique should come here if it needs a new home to avoid hours of travel.

Oberon can you picture a foolish grandma carrying 5 pound puppies (back in the day) in plastic bags in plain site on an airplane. Nuts huh!! Then I had to go and claim a large suitcase and drag it along too. I was younger than and had more energy.

Two weeks ago TSA took a bottle of water away from Charlie at San Antonio airport while I had 5 cigarett lighters in my purse. They can blow up I'm sure they knew. He bought the water after we had gone thru check point cause he figured he couldn't get thru with it. TSA dumped his whole suitcase onto table. I was glad it was a very small bag he was carrying on. We don't usually check bagage cause thats a good way to loose it.

If TSA is supposed to be making it safer to fly I don't see it. Didn't see any of those X-ray machines. Guess they did away with them already. Right?

Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

September 1, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9261485

5# puppies? ROTFL... and yes, you are right. Little Unique should definitely go to you.

I don't know about where you are, but we have to go through the stupid machines in Anchorage, Seattle, Portland, Hawaii...etc.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9261867

We have the TSA machines too. If they are decent about everything that is fine - but if they are miserable, who needs it.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9261890

The TSA man we had got huffy cause he had to wait for Charlie to get his belt back on and metal stuff put back into his pockets. He made a couple of snid remarks. Soooo I said would you like to sere everything thats in the case and he said yes so I unzipped all the compartments and dumped it out infront of him on his table. Wasn't going to tell that but what the heck. Blame it on the high BP.
If your going to work with the public you have to be tolerant and always courteous. I speak from my own work life. 30 years running my own bus. and 12 years personal secretary working for state of Fl.
Now I am retired I don't have to take any bull from anybody. FEELS SO GOOD.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9261903

I totally agree Bonnie. Too many rude people out there and it doesn't seem to matter if you walk into a store or call on the phone. Customer service seems to be something that is vanishing.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9261918

Considering the economy and competion between businesses customer service should be on the upswing instead.
When I answer my phone I still have to think and not say Bonnies Windowear how may I help you.

Anybody notice Tractor Supply answers with a short blurb and then ""WHAT DO YOU WANT TODAY"". I think that stinks and the next time I'm in their store I'm going to make some suggestions for better PR. I was trained that when you answer a phone the person on the other end could hear you smiling. Worked great for me for many years.

OK off the soap box for tonight.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9261929

I was raised with tons of proper protocal, both customer service-wise, as well as phone courtesy... I go CRAZY seeing what basic communication skills have now become! That's why I support many small businesses instead of mass companies...Smaller businesses have invested their own sweat and seem to care if their customers return. They train their empolyees and are thankful to have you as their customers.
Ok, I'm off my soap box now too, but had to throw in my 2 cents worth...
:D
ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 5, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9266357

TSA is short for Transportation Safety Administration subsidiary of US Dept. of Homeland Security.
TSA in my interpretaion is short for Terrible Search before you get can on any Airplanes.

This message was edited Sep 5, 2012 8:14 PM
ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 5, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9266364

My grand daughter came to visit, so we let her try to catch the fish by hand. As you can see the plants are taking over the small pond. The plant roots dangling in the water and our hillbilly filter in the 5 gallon bucket have made the water clear again.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9266410

John

was she able to catch any by hand? They are pretty quick. ^_^

What I really like about your photo is with your Granddaughter in the photo, I have a better idea as to the size of your water garden. Looks so very nice - thank you for sharing.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

September 5, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9266460

That's amazing. It is crystal clear. Hillybilly or no, it sure works.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9266710

That pond is just so fascinating. There is something like at at the Phipps Conservatory. They have a long stream/waterfall that runs down 3 stories to a pond at the bottom and there is a glass wall on one side of the pond. They have large tropical fish in the pond.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

September 6, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9266967

That would be amazing to see.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9267051

I do have some nice pictures but they are in the back up system and not organized. Our Lap-top crashed a few weeks ago so I don't have organized pictures at my finger tips any more.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9267056

John have you ever given any thought to tiling your concrete edges? We tiled a small area around our pond and it made a huge difference in the look. We used old tiles some from a hot tub and some from our bathroom. I will post a few before and after pics when I pull up the old pictures.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

September 6, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9267129

I would love to do that but the liner runs up the sides and I doubt you could make tile adhere to it. Would sure look awesome. Great idea.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9267434

Oberon,
There is a spray can with Rock-N-Foam in it which sticks rocks to EPDM liner under water so maybe that would work for tile also. It's not cheap. If I remember right it was $18. per can. Contractors use it when making waterfalls to control flow of water. Maybe you could ask a tile specialist for suggestions. If its not going to be underwater maybe plain old tile grout would hold it. Sure would make a beautiful edge finish.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

September 6, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9267501

I agree. I have seen the foam they used to build the falls and fix the final large flat rock in place. I just wonder how it would work trying to hold an horizontal piece of materials with no support to the liner. Suspect it wouldn't but will ask. Yes, it would be awesome... Thanks for the idea.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9267740

I was just thinking along the top edge and maybe around the front window not where the liner is. It is such a beautiful pond. Haven't had luck finding the picture from Phillps Conservatory the back up isn't user friendly, I can only pull up one picture at a time and they are in no order. What a mess, I have thousands of pictures in there. Only good thing is that I have the pictures backed up only lost what was taken in the last year.
So here is a picture of the tile work we did on the BirdBath Pond.
It isn't quite finished we are waiting a few more weeks to tile around the back where plants are in the way and then we will do the grouting.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS         

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9267761

Beautiful tile work.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9267847

We had talked about doing it for years and even had free tile. Can't get over the difference it made. Just got done cleaning the algae off of it for the tour tomorrow.
Here is a very old picture that shows what it looked like before the tile.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4833948
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4849086
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

September 7, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9267855

What a difference! And I love your frogs. I love frogs as long as they aren't Cuban frogs. Although all we have up here are tree frogs. Little bitty guys. Yup that tile thing is a great idea.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9267883

Holly,
You all did a beautiful job beautifying you birdbath pond. What a difference a little ingenuity can make.
I love all your frogs especially large one sitting on side with legs hanging down.

Sure wish I didn't have all these Cuban frogs.
Bonnie
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9267900

Luckly we don't have the Cuban Frogs here but I have heard of the major issues they are creating in the south.
We have tree frogs, too. They are so cute and pretty friendly. Even with all the pond features we have a group that prefer the pool. The Grands have so much fun playing with them.
ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 12, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9273550

Thanks for the tile idea. Sounds like a better idea than paint. We have lots of tile left-over from the original construction. 3 inch long Cuban tree frogs are here, and after midnight I wake up to croak-croak-croak, so I hunt them down with a flash light. One secret I learned is to turn-off the fountain at night so they are not attracted to the trickle trickle sound. Also we have some small half-inch long frogs hanging around. They are cute so I hope they won't grow any larger.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9274491

We had our Garden Tour here on Saturday, It was a great success. Got so many nice comments on the water features and those pretty TWL's did their job and bloomed that day. LOL
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9274494

Holly

Don't you love it when it all comes together like that? We were on a pond tour a couple of years ago. There were so many really nice people. But then aren't ponding people the best?

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

September 13, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9274615

Here here!!! They are certainly so in my experience.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9274819

I completely agree! :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9274970

I'll third that notion.
Had to come in for a break. Pulling huge tobs of high grass to clean up back vegie garden, The Kubota is a huge help. I keep saying to myself, "taste that fresh broccoli" and it keeps me going.
It's only about 25 by 50 feet but I usually get quite a bit out of it.
OK back to work.
Happy ponding all.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

September 14, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9274991

That's one heck of a garden. I attended a permaculture workshop at the home of one of the Anchorage Botanical Gardener's. What an eyepopper. Stuff everywhere all mixed together. Granted it is now getting late in the year and mostly it was just vegetation as she doesn't have many decorative items that last this long, but she still had fava beans, all sorts of herbs, potatoes, and in her greenhouse loads of tomatoes and Japanese pole beans. A veritable jungle. Course I also noticed that one of her neighbors had built a 10' high fence. I guess they don't appreciate the view and perhaps her two dogs that barked the whole time we were there. But she was all bubbly and obviously loved her gardens. Nothing tidy about them but very productive. Some of the stuff she didn't even know what it was. What a hoot. I just can't go that direction but would like to have some eatibles amongst my flowers.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9275069

Bonnie has tons of property...I was raised in Ohio on 100 acres...and all the properties around us were also that large or larger, so we just saw miles and miles of green. We grew everything we ate! What a culture shock to move to Orlando, and in to a subdivision with close to zero lot lines... However, I manage to stick in a fruit tree here or there...or herbs...lemon tree, etc... That's why I salivate when I see Bonnie's tangerine tree! I have to get there fast, because it's either me or the cows! :D
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

September 14, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9275119

I adore tangerines! At Christmas they bring up the small tangerines in boxes and I could eat a whole box by myself. I did have an apple tree planted in my yard this year, but the others were a two white lilacs and one red crab. I have seeds to plant in my raised beds this fall to try winter sowing as described in some books that extends the growing season. They will actually sprout very early next spring under plastic and floating row covers.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9275175

I wish I had more land - funny thing, when we moved into this house, I wanted to be out in the country with enough acreage that I didn't have to think about neighbors and could feed the wildlife. I was voted down, by my kids and my husband. Now the kids are on their own and hubby wishes we didn't live in town. Nobody ever listens! The next place will have enough land for me to grow everything, feed the wildlife and be able to take a walk in the woods by myself if I would like.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9275204

I'm completely convinced that that's why I like my pond and koi so much. It's my pretend way of being on acres of land with ponds with fish. My little tropical place is my own resort with it's own wildlife! I'll be a pretty penny, most of you on the Water forums were also the little kids who tried to feed baby birds that fell out of their nests! :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9275222

[quote="MerryMary"] I'll be a pretty penny, most of you on the Water forums were also the little kids who tried to feed baby birds that fell out of their nests! :)[/quote]

Not just baby birds...snapping turtles, baby squirrels, stray cats - whatever came across my path! ^_^

We also have our backyard set up to be very private. There is privacy fencing on the side and across the back and the other side is tall arbovites with gates fashioned from fencing to get to the backyard, so that we can shut out the world!

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 14, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9275492

I understandtaking care of the "things" that came our way...I don't really talk a lot about what my husband and I have done for careers throughout the years, but it involved a company that involves a whale, followed by a company who had a mouse, that leads the world for it's conservation efforts (although most people don't know that) ;)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9275515

MM

Conservation is so important...

I have to tell you, I was in a meeting quite some time ago at work. I work for a chemical company and apparently there had been a release of over 100 pounds of tungsten metal powder that had been accidentally released into the river. The DEC was all over the company about it. I was upset about the spill, not from the standpoint of the loss of the metal powder or the fines the DEC had levied on us as a company, but I was upset about release into the river. There is so much wildlife that depends on the river, not to mention that farmers here irrigate their fields with the water from the river. Those fields in turn grow the corn for the cows and we eat the cows. So essentially, in my mind we are hurting the wildlife and ourselves by this action. I was treated like some of faint of heart idiot in that meeting afterwards. But push comes to shove, if we don't take care of what we have, there won't be anything left and then we will really have a problem. We are supposed to be the caretakers of the earth, not just takers...

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9275631

MM,
Your name is on that tangerine tree cause I never had anyone out here that seemed to enjoy them as much as you do. I did prune it severly but will make sure I fertilize it regularly to try and get you a good crop.
I could tell at first meeting you belong out in the country and really hope someday you return to the land. We only have 15 acres and did try to buy the 20 acre froze out grove next to us but a developer got it before we even knew it was available. We are only 5 mi. from Clermont so all the shopping we could ever need is close by now. I liked it better years ago when we had all groves around us. It was so peaceful. Charlie was born in Coolville Ohio in Athens County and his dad never did do anything but have a little farm. They raised everything they ate and he said they wern't rich but always had plenty of food. Guess thats why he loves his cows so much now.
I was raised out in the country in Conn. and ran the woods all the time. Had my first garden when I was 9. I love seeing things grow.

Carolyn,
I hope they fined the company greatly. That definitely not a good thing. Here one of my state parks was near a dairy farm and they fined them for leaching cow manure into the nearby Hillsborough River. I can't say I thought that was fair cause they were miles from the river and here perculation down thru all the sand cleans natural materials out. Also here you can't change oil in cars or equipment and just dump it onto the ground. We put it all in cans and take it to the recycle collection place. If EPA catches you doing that you have to have all the soil dug up and hauled away and burned which costs thousands to have done. Personally I don't believe it trashing up your own land.
Getting garden spot ready today so I'm exhausted. Can't wait to get that broccoli planted plus other winter crops.
Take care everyone.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

September 15, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9275784

Carolyn...Love the "Caretakers" not "takers" comment... My brother just retired from the Cleveland Zoo/MetroParks, he and his wife are also both in the same interests, she's at the Cleveland Aquarium. I loved the sign in the restroom next to the sink paper towel holder that says "why take 2 when 1 will do?"...it's short and catchy, but I think about it often. Mu Aunt was the Curator for the Natural History Museum in Cleveland. Kind of a family thing...lol.
Bonnie...I'll be back from Baltimore on Monday, then I'll have a few mornings to buzz around and head your way! :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9275790

Bonnie

they did fine the company, which was part of the complaint the company had. Nobody seemed to care about the river by me. Now we have the gas drillers here and the spills are rampant. Our sleepy little town is being ruined - at least I think it is. It seems that it is ok with the DEC if there are spills from the drillers, but if the company I work for has a spill, somehow that is a different story. I am sure that somebody's palm is being greased. I know the drillers gave our new governor $1,000,000.00 for his campaign. They also will not reveal what is in this fracking fluid. The claim it is a 'Trade Secret'. Apparently there are over 600 different types of chemicals in this frackling fluid. The sooner I can retire and get out of here the better. Too bad - I have lived here forever. I think ultimately we will end up another Love Canal.

http://dearsusquehanna.blogspot.com/2011/02/video-addresses-hydrofracking-in-pa-and.html

I work in Towanda, Pa. It is 16 miles from where I live. The Susquehanna River is a couple of blocks from me and it goes all the way to Pittsburgh.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9275805

[quote="Carolyn22"]
I work in Towanda, Pa. It is 16 miles from where I live. The Susquehanna River is a couple of blocks from me and it goes all the way to Pittsburgh. [/quote]

That same river runs just miles from me also and then down to the Chesapeake Bay. Anything that goes in there is a big deal. I also wonder what cost the new gas boom will bring.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9276098

[quote="HollyAnnS"]

That same river runs just miles from me also and then down to the Chesapeake Bay. Anything that goes in there is a big deal. I also wonder what cost the new gas boom will bring.

[/quote]

Holly - ultimately I hope I am out of here before we find out the true effects. What gets me is this is my home. We moved here in 1967. It has been my home for a long time. I know I am not the only one that feels this way or plans on ultimately leaving because if it.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9276133

MM,
Look forward to seeing you.
Carolyn,
I have seen that river years ago when heading home to Conn. It was beautiful but I'm sure won't be very soon. Very sad. They call it progress what a joke. I can remember when we used to take the Chesapeak Bay ferry to cross when driving to Fl. every year. One year the bridge tunnel was done and we used that. I preferred the ferry.
My grandpa used to say money talks and people walk. Money rules this world.
I know you'll be glad when you can retire but for me it was very hard leaving home. Been here 46 years and I still say up home and down home. Wish you would come to Fl. Plenty of room here for ponders.
Take care. Bonnie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America