Happy Ponds - the upside of Ponding #2

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Beginning the 2012 ponding year! :) Happy ponding to all!

Thumbnail by MerryMary
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Yay! I got here first. Morning you all!!

Bea beat me to it.... Thanks Bea!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Fish better humker down, Central Fl. is going down cold tonight and tomorrow.
Bonnie

We are still sitting in the 30-35F range. Wonderful!! I found a corpse I spotted about a month ago but couldn't fish out. Still can't. But I am sluffing snow off the sides into the pool to introduce new water as it melts. It is clean so should be good for the pond. Ice on top is melting helped by the pump circulating water down below. Saw one goldfish down below this morning.

Sorry about the sideways picture! Anywhoooo.... :)

Bonnie, I don't know if I have the time or energy today to get the plants covered again. Bought 2 small (2 foot) lemon trees that have blossoms on them. I'll just carry those inside for the night, I think the rest will either make it, or not. Many of the smaller annuals, like coleus, didn't survive the last snap we had, even though they were covered...so I may just let them meet their Maker, and start from scratch in the spring.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I know what you mean MM. I brought all hanging planters inside plus all the trays I set seeds out in (about 200).
I covered a few things out front but a lot of stuff is all budded out and may be damaged beyond help. Oh well, we just live with the weather whatever it is.
MM you know you can always get cuttings from anything here in spring. Same zone so should make it at your place if it makes here.
Oberon,
Sorry you lost a fish. I know you'll be glad to see summer come.

Bonnie

thanks Bonnie. Actually that is the third one this winter. All goldfish I think. Except this last one is silver like one of my koi. I don't think it is a koi but until I can fish the corpse out I can't see well enough.

Mary Stella

Let us know when you are able to get your poor little fish.

I am sorry for your loss.

Well I got him and it is the platinum koi we worked so hard to save last year. He grew a lot in the pond and is much bigger than when we first got him. I don't see much on him to indicate what killed him. The spots we 'cured' are nice and white and clean. There is some red around his anus, a touch at the attachment of the pectorals to the body but nothing major. I guess I could cut him open to see but don't know what difference it makes. A real bummer.

Mary

I am sorry. We worked hard on him- do you have a microscope? Could you take a swabbing of his gills and put it under the microscope? It is worth a look.

Yeah, you were really all but here personally to help. I looked in his gills but they looked clean and healthy. I can ask around to see if anyone else has a microscope and give it a try. Damien sent an email and said "No more expensive imports ---PLEASESSSSSS." I guess he's right. Will see how the rest fair come spring - although it smells and feels like spring now.

If there's slight redness, I'dd add a little bacteria/enzyme (some of them work in colder waters) If you don't want to do it now, as soon as you get a thaw, and water temps get above 55, I'd add some, to keep the rest of the fish healthy. I'm so sorry for your loss, maybe his immune system had not gotten back to 100% just yet.

Quite possibly. We really stressed in trying to cure him of his ulcers. I have a gold one who we ended up treating also. No sign of him yet. I always add bacteria when the ice goes out, even before it is 55F in the water. And yes, it is a cold water bacteria from MicrobeLift. What bacteria/enzyme do you all use?

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I use Pondzyme.
My son brought me a new fish yesterday a shubunkin about 8" long and his pond is heated so considering our temps last night I don't know yet if he made it thru the nite. The pond is covered with leaves so its hard to see. Both my birdbaths were frozen over this morning. 25 mile per hr. winds yesterday made it seem very uncomfortable. Supposed to go down to night again. Doesn't sound like Florida does it? I remember back in the 80's when all the orange trees froze now that was a pitiful sight. We lost all our grove as did many others. I still miss them. All we had was 10 acres in fruit but it provided a lot of privacy around the house plus a little check ea. year. Larger growers really lost a lot.
Oh well thats life. Sun is shining so maybe it will warm up some today during the day.
Have a good week all.
Oberon I hope you don't have any more dead fish. I know that discouraging but maybe it will be just that one.
Bonnie

We jump start with the Microbelift Spring start up. DH and I love the premeasured packets you can just throw into the pond without having to worry about measuring or anything. Then, we use the pondzyme. Pondzyme is put in every week during the ponding season.

MS - I am wondering if it is you thick layer of ice and extreme weather - extreme in my mind, but probably not yours. Have you considered a pond heater? I have no idea how much they cost or how much they cost to run.

I do think there is a good possibility your fish went into the winter in a weakened state. I know you were running out of time with his illness and the start of the winter.

You're right on the 'running out of time'. I have actually checked out a pond heater. OMG! The cost of the heater is awful and the electricity draw would break the house. Just isn't feasible. I have the same spring start up then switch to MicrobLift PL. Probably about the same as Ponzyme.

Oak pollen is everywhere! It's clogging all the filters. Time to get clean everything out!

http://www.novalek.com/kordon/breathing_bags/index.htm

Bonnie, I have some 11 x 16 airless bags, but not the regular kind. Will these be big enough?
If they are too small, I've transported fish in rubbermaid tubbies before (minimal water just to the dorsal fin)
I'd sedate them slightly.

Mary

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Your bags should be large enough. If we can't get tog. I am going to use that 4 foot cooler.
What do you sedate them with?? I think thats a good idea. Are you referring to stress coat?

I use Finquel if I really need them sedated (like treating a body wound, etc) but there is also a tablet called Bag Buddies, which is sort of like stress coat, but also adds oxygen to the water AND mildly sedates them.

http://www.sdpondandgarden.com/Jungle-Labs/Bag-Buddies-p-325.html

Maybe you can get them to overnight them to you? I'm not sure locally where to find them, I ordered mine online. I'll look to see if I have any left. :)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

MM,
We are going to be good on air cause Jeff is buying a 12 volt converter tomorrow and I have a power outlet in the back of my van which I didn't even know what it was for. He has an 8 or 10" air stone to use with it.
Don't have time to order anything. Will get some stress coat locally.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

WHAT A DAY. Bought 3 pumps installed them all and returned 2 to stores and water still isn't flowing to filter so tomorrow will be dig up the lines day. Both newer ponds are already black. Wouldn't even know theres a fish in them if I din't know it. Ahhhh the joys of ponding. To say I have an unhappy husb. would be putting it mild.

Son is coming over to help solve delema. I may just get lost doing someting else as I have a whopper of a head cold. I WILL dig up lines as that will help process along. I really think there is a blockage along the way somewhere. Wish it had come at a different time. Was going to put fish in that small pond so we could catch easier Fri. to take to show. Nothing good ever comes easy does it.

Bonnie

I had to pull the pumps today and get the oak leaves and pollen out of them....blew the lines out with the jet spray from the hose (more oak leaves) Definitely helped the flow, and now with the filters can begin to clean the water again. Also changed the UV bulbs (which hasn't been done in a year) Hopefully, the water can start to clear again, it hasn't been this bad in a long time, and I know it's all particulate matter from the oak and camphor trees...leaves, berries, and pollen. Backwashed the filters 3 times, about an hour apart.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Know what you mean MM. This has been a particularly dirty year for ponds.
Pumped old pond down this mroning. Put 3 for show in smallest pond as Charlie fixed lines yesterday.
Jeff took all your babies out and they are in larger new pond. I finally scooped up babies in old pond and they are resting in tub but will have to go in with all the rest in larger of new ponds as I decided to really clean out old pond with pressure washer. It is really cruddy. Reached down inside skimmer around pump and its a wonder it ran so loaded with leaves and its under a basket with filter material in it but its really gunky. I'll get my big shop vac. Might as well do a good job while I'm at it. I'll shove the river rock to ea. side and vac. pond bottom.

I'll do the other 2 ponds after the show this weekend. Boy are we gluttens for punishment. Jeff is coming over again to help however he can. It's nice to have a son that is interested in what I am .

Mary hoping to see you there but not sure exactly what time I'll get there but I'm going to check on my fish for sure.

Bonnie

I'm not sure what day I'll be there....if I go alone, it will be Friday before 3:00.....If I go with the hubbie, it will be Sunday....Saturday is up in the air.
Best of luck with your fish!
:)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Mary,
Fri. is registration etc. from 1 to 5. Other days everything is closing down at 5PM from last info. They have changed a few things. Koi clubs site differs from CFKS site. Oh well we will haul them tomorrow.
Jeff had a catching accident with his fish and it lost 2 scales so maybe they will refuse it but what the heck I told him to still take it. Its all just for fun anyway.
Hope you get there.

Good luck this weekend Bonnie! :)

Bonnie

you will have to tell us about it when you get back!

Bonnie,
Headed out to the show today. Couldn't find you, then thought you were maybe at church and not headed out there today.
Definitely should have taken more money...I now know for next year! Bought a whole new filtration system, was cut a great deal (they didn't want to pack it back up and ship it out) That took all of the cash...There was a guy who was selling his 4-6 inch fish for $2 just to get rid of them, I should have bought a bag full! But didn't....having already spent a huge chunk on the filter. It was cold and rainy, being mostly outdoor-ish, but I enjoyed it anyway!

I noticed that I have algae growing around my pond deicer. As the temp is only 21F, and has been fairly cool for some days, it must be just the warmth from the heater plus the clear skies. Even if it is cold outside, the sun pouring into the house just lifts our spirits. Have more seeds to plant today, and some coming in the mail from OSPS. Couldn't resist. Talk about coals to Newcastle.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

KOI SHOW IS OVER
I am exhausted. My son won 2nd in its class of Kawarigoi Size 3. My 3 got honorable mention in their classes. He was so thrilled he was on cloud 9. He is ready for another koi show.
Had to wait for him after church so we got there about 2PM and everybodys fish were gone but ours. Vendors were already packed up.
Yesterday we bought some fish. I got an asagi and 2 others that were gray and yellow. He got a black & white and black & yellow.
This morning I found a dead fish in upper larger pond. Just like someone elses. Had red around both front fins but no other signs of harm. I'm just praying it doesn't spread to whole pond as I have a lot in that pond now due to old pond being pumped out for cleaning.
Mary Fri. & Sat. weather was perfect. Took judges over 4 hrs. to judge and no one was allowed under the tent around the show tanks at that time.
I couldn't get any good pics with my instamatic camera it was too slow. Jeff took many pics which he and techy friend will edit and make into video for YouTube at which time I will post on here.

There were 208 entries all tog. Orlando Area Koi & Pond Club members really worked hard. Sherri & Joe White were so very helpful to us.

Met lods of nice folks and new breeders from all over US and Japan. Mary I hope you got to see that 4 foot kahaku. He got his own cooler lined with styrafoam under plastic bag lining cooler. They are really someting to handle.

Thoroughly enjoyed it but really tired. Would have helped if I didn't have a cold hanging on. Show staff took excellent care of fish and all tanks were netted immediately after we put fish it we pulled net around it.

Bonnie

I saw several of the HUGE fish! Wow, makes my 24 inch-ers look like kindergartners! I love butterfly, and the one tank had a huge sanke butterfly in it. Even my husband was impressed!.
Maybe next year we should plan a Water Garden/Pond Round Up around the time they have the koi show! That would be fun, and a great time for out of staters to come to Orlando! :)
I forgot to go back and get my variegated water celery from the guy in the back, but I'll just go ahead and order some.
We must have left right around the time you were arriving. I wanted to go home with some extra blue shusui and asagi, but ran out of time and moola! Next year I'll plan ahead, both financially AND take either the SUV or trailer.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sherri White offered to e-mail me a list of the winners. Not sure I can line up fish with owners but can try. I'm very interested in learning all the categorys. We missed the walk-thru with the judges when discussing all the different attributes they look for which was at 10AM Sun. morning. Learned a lot from talking to Robert Lewis, owner of Carolina Koi Farm in Hollywood, NC. Sat. they wern't busy so he volunteered a lot of info. on selective breeding for color. I asked everybody about the blue and mainly got quite a few laughs. Jeff says I'm chasing a unicorn. Thats nothing new for me. I won't give up. The asagi I bought is about 8" and had tint of blue on its upper sides. Still want a really blue one. They acted like they didn't exist and I know they do.
Glad you got good deal on filtration system. Thats important.
Tomorrow I plan to start cleanup on oldest pond. It is really a mess with leaves so thick on bottom and pump is loaded with leaves even tho its down inside of skimmer. AES folks used my chairs when we were out walking the tanks and inside hotel. That hotel has been their venue spot for a few years so they probably wil hold it there next year. Yound guy that is pres. of club now Jeff used to work with at Pace Elec. so he met a friend as soon as he climbed out of my car. Wants me to contact Pond Hoppers in Gainesvile to see when their koi show will be. He is really excited about it now. I was so happy for him. Now that we have joined the club we should receive a newsletter periodically. I think the next meeting is in April. Did you join? Also, watch the plant RU forum as I think Apopka John is going to host next one. Hope so cause thats real close.
Happy ponding Bonnie

You have to call the blue ones "shusui"...and I saw them there! There was a really pretty one that was 10-12 inches in the middle of the tent tubbie. The little one I have for you isn't the cream of the crop of the shusuis, but at least proves that they DO certainly exist! :)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm sure they exist and I'm not giving up on finding a really easily identifiable blue. You know how it is when you get something stuck in your mind well thats me.
Now I need to concentrate on setting up nursery for eggs from my red & black mommy. Checked her today and she looks ready to burst.
Just got 3 big ones back in their pond today but couldn't catch smaller ones. Will get Jeff to help me when he's off work. BTW that asagi I bought is also butterfly. Bought the yellow & gray ones just cause they were pretty. They are about 5 inches long.
Spent the day separating pond plants and repotting them. Since I cleaned out the skimmer on that pond from all the gunk and leaves the waterfall is now running at top speed. I love the noise.
Happy Ponding.
Bonnie

Bonnie,
Are you home on Friday?

I am going to try to save some of my baby fish, either koi or gold fish - no way to know. I found a Fish Net Breeder to go into the pond but I don't know what to feed them. Suggestions?

Order some spirulina powder or egg yolk powder to start them off with. If they are already swimming about freely, you can use crushed flake food. They make high protien koi food that comes in a very small pellet, available on ebay.

thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.