-
AuthorContent
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

February 11, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9003172

We have a small flock of chickens (among other things) on our farm. I’ve seen a lot of things, but never a chicken that has apparently forgotten how to eat.

This one’s an easter egger (Americauna). I noticed her one day sort of hanging out around the edges of the feed pans but not eating. She’d even lower her head into the pan, then slowly raise it and walk away. I picked her up and she was quite thin, but not crop-bound as I was expecting. Her crop was totally empty.

So I brought her in and put her in a small dog crate, figuring she was probably at the bottom of the pecking order, although I feed enough for everyone and she wasn’t showing any signs of being picked on, and in fact no one was harassing her at all when she was at the feed pan.

I put a dish of layer pellets in the crate, and she carefully examined them, poked them with her beak, and ate a few. Took a drink of water. Examined the pellets again as if she was considering whether they met her quality standards, and ate a few more.

Since then (it’s been 3-4 days), she’s poked at her food more than eaten it, although she has eaten some. I put in half a small apple one day, and some chopped and cooked broccoli and peas, but she was into those even less than the pellets. She drinks water with no problem and I’ve started putting “Quik-Chik” electrolyte/vitamin powder in it that I usually use when starting hatched chicks. She is weak from being so thin, but is pooping fairly normal looking chicken poop, and is not huddled up in a corner looking like she’d like to just die and get it over with.

Anyone have experience with anorexic chickens?
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

February 11, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9003218

I just made her a scrambled egg, chopped it up fine, let it cool a bit, and gave it to her. She's eating that pretty well, so maybe she's on the mend.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9003373

Maybe try some uncooked oatmeal (or cooked if that doesn't work)...my chickens love it.
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9003795

Does she have access to grit in her diet? Maybe her crop isnt "grinding" the harder food to well.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9007020

When she gets goin on the egg.. I'd start mixing her lay pellets into it... of course, it will make a mash.. but it will get the balanced nutrition in her.
Mine would starve themselves if I tried to give them pellets! She might be picky! Who knows?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America