Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Brugmansia in Australia - February 2012 -#2

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 136, Views: 939
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9003691

We have come from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1240452/
Chrissy has asked me to open the next thread with my B.'Ecuador Pink'
so here we are a new thread and a lot more blooms to post

Jean so sorry to hear those little biters hitting you again & again,
I have 1 affected plant B.'Double white' x.aurea i have sprayed it but i find that they are localised to that plant and no other at the moment.
I found that chilli detergent & water works quite fine here, what the detergent dose is strip there coating of and then allows the chilli to hit there nervous system and render them dead well that's what i was told many years ago. I hope you have success with what ever method you employ

Colleen many toddlers you have i have been in the Potting mood today and potted many up about 40-50 pups in a mix of 2 potting soils & Coir-peat brick

Dianne that is a lovely Fat aurea pod you have there hope it treats you well

Chrissy sorry to hear the weather just don't wanna leave your part of town but not all is lost, I'm sure the weather will change soon for you and then you will be swampt with all the breeding & cutting back planting ect><

I have also started a trial of fish in the potting mix, many years ago i heard that the Inca from South America put fish under there Corn to fertilise it while growing, I have used Sardine cut in 3 & used 1 piece per pot i have tyred this in 3 different varieties to see what will happen if any thing, (Gil tells me it will attract the cats but there is no smell from it i think the soil locks it away.) test 2 is to see if the cats do come around that is why i have placed the fish trial pot away from all others, Just in case)

Shaun

Is there a way you can change your User name on DG??????

Thumbnail by SolMan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 12, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9004174

Lovely pics Shaun, does your EP get very much darker as it matures?
Re name change...if you contact DG at the bottom of the page, they are always very helpful and will tell you if it's possible...

Wouldn't "Charlie Carp" do as well?...I'm sure that Gil would be happier...lol

I have decided that the best way for me to enable all these Brugs to grow...is to take cuttings before I remove the non keepers...that way if in later flushes they improve...I still have them..so that's the way to go.

Here are 2 alltime keepers GHA/Macedon and Buck's Fizz...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 12, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9004196

Well that was odd.. I had a post here which just disappeared.

Thank you all for the recipes for the mites.
I will try them all over the next few weeks.
I really dont want to cut any of the brugs back just yet in case I get more buds which wont fall off.

Shaun, I will show your lovely pic to my Ecuador Pink. It was a cutting which refused to grow.
After about 4 years I finally have it to 4' high with a Y.

Dianne your yard looks lovely. What a difference having a sheltered place makes to the brugs.
Mine may pack their bags and move to your place if they see that.
I tried Charlie Carp once , but couldnt stand the smell of the stuff.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 12, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9004361

Yes I agree Jean it stinks for sure, I think it scares the bugs away just by the pong ^_^

Dianne what a beautiful Brug Garden, nothing dainty about mine, it's like a Brug assembly line here as I try to find the perfect white.

We have some clearish sky this morning but storms are predicted,
I wish you could smell these two together this morning, just these two blooms scenting all around the garden. Yes this pink is worth the scent, the colour and the Pink Smitty Genes. Wonderful ! (excuse the rank grass and chewed leaves) scent lingering into the mid morning.

The third picture is Wayne's Seedling still holding onto many buds,
the 4th is tangled tendrils, I hope the tendrils on this Brug can sort itself out. Fingers Crossed !
Oops sorry I think I posted one pic twice *blush * (short term memory loss *lol* ) and tired.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100
Click an image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 12, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9004366

Ummm it was supposed to be this one 1) ...2) is an Arborea budding up, very pale leaves.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 12, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9004405

No time right now but Chrissy when did I send you the Pink Smitty x Dorthea cutting??
Back later

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 12, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9004421

From memory around last Easter or a bit after that, sorry I only have the name, I know that's a bit slack but at the the time. I had many medical dramas here going on. Why is there a problem ?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 12, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9004490

Shaun I have just been reading about your fish experiment.

I posted this for you but in case you didn't get back there here it is, I have always planted the odd ham bone/Lamb bones or fish bait etc plus cow poo under things like Passionfruit, so it would work on Brugs too.
good luck with it ^_^

It is the same basic principle but in a sort of mini version. You see I think it's the worms that do the job for you IMO and in pots there are no worms to break it down into rich castings.
Here is the link.

http://www.growbetterveggies.com/growbetterveggies/biodynamic_gardening/

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 12, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9004508

Charlie Carp does pong, but it's very good...and it gets rid of the carp, double value..lol

Chrissy, those curly tendrils are gorgeous...
Jean, how are your Aboreas going...
All of my Sphaeros are growing well, vulsas and Alan's
I have some seedlings coming along that are a LBG x Bergfeurer cross and Angel's Flight x Charleston..these 2 have Y'd, and have buds, so I can't wait 'till they flower.

I am going to take a cutting from Ivoire, grow it on and keep pruning it, to see if I can get it to stay bushy, then let it grow...

Zabaglione is flowering again after I lifted the canopy...it definitely wants to grow lower, because it keeps growing sideways...Jean, it's worth the effort...you will love the perfume when it flushes..
It will do fine in a pot , I'm sure...I'll take the cutting from that too, today.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 12, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9004551

[quote="chrissy100"]From memory around last Easter or a bit after that, sorry I only have the name, I know that's a bit slack but at the the time. I had many medical dramas here going on. Why is there a problem ?[/quote]

No problem! Just didn't have a record of it. Must have been sent with Pink Sweetie and Phanomenal x Superspot, I think, probably from a sucker or side branch because the brug was small then ***and it hasn't grown since***! (Or a piece that got broken off accidentally.) So 9 months to flower. Pretty good when you consider the torrential rain you've been having--this summer sounds like the wet season in the tropics for you. Amazing you have any blooms.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 12, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9004576

Well done with Ecuador Pink, Shaun: it's looking at its best.
But Jean, I wouldn't feel too bad about your EP not doing well. In the early days when I watered it assiduously and fertilised regularly, it did put on some great flushes. But since then, when I've left it to mother nature to water and fertilised it only once a year or so, it has virtually stopped flowering. I wouldn't think this is one that would grow well for you there, and certainly needs a lot more work than GHA. (Plus it's never had a scent in my garden.) So it's very pretty when it's in full flush but needs a lot of work to get that way.
Shaun, what is your 'double white'? Is it knightii? You can really see the aurea in those blooms. Next step ...? Cross them with some coloured brugs to get an aurea-type pink or yellow? Or, if you have > 1 seedling with this cross, cross them with each other?
Bad news about that pod on (Aztec Gold 2009#3) x (Old Apricot x Butterbomb): the pod withered prematurely and most of the seeds inside are white and clearly unviable. Being suaveolens-style (i.e. small) anyway, I couldn't peel them to check but they seem flat (i.e. empty) inside. Anyway, I sowed them immediately on the off chance that there might be one viable kernel in the pod, but I doubt it.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 12, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9004596

Love that egg-shaped pod, Dianne :-) Your white 'apricot versi' is rather pretty, shame you think it flops too much. (But not as much as my Big Floppy Apricots, I'll bet!) I thought you were going to be really single-minded about culling your seedlings ... until you said that you would take cuttings of the disappointing ones before throwing the large rooted/flowering originals away LOL Ideally, I reckon we'd all like to keep every single seedling we've raised!
Now this is the last of Alistair's crosses to flower, no. 13. I really will turf this one out, as I have done with all but one of the other whites from this cross (it's been a little hard to reach and I'm waiting for the humidity to die down before digging it out) but I reckon it's not a patch on my Golden Butter #3--which is both scented (aurea fragrance) and quite waxy. However, having spent almost 4--yes, four (sown May 2008)--years growing it, I'd like to keep its genes, which I'll do via the seedpod you can see on it. I've included a photo of GB#3 for comparison.

This message was edited Feb 13, 2012 12:53 PM

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 12, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9004610

I agree with you cestrum, I dont thin EP likes it here much. I'll see if he buds then decide if I'll keep him.

I sprayed every\\thing with the flour/milk spray this morning. I'll do them again in a a few days.

I will also look for that Eco oil on Thursday. while shopping.

I see why some of the people had said to strain the flour/milk mix through a piece of muslin etc. It tends to clog the sprayer after a while. I will use an old stocking next time.

Dianne my aureas are looking good with a few more buds. They are on the front veranda . I wish the veranda was much bigger so I could fit more brugs there.
Luckily , so far, the cold climate brugs are not affected by the mites except for the sangs which seem to be recovering now.
Alan's and the BGI project ones are all okay . Most are in larger pots now and liking the shadehouse.

Chrissy the seedlings from your ( Star Dancer x) x GHA are growing so much quicker than all the others. Must be the GHA genes .
Love the tendrils on the tangled one.

Shaun, the seeds from that cross with pretty pink mum are doing well. Did you find out if the mum was PP at all ?

Jean.

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9004614

Chrissy if my experiment is a success or not i will follow your advice and harvest a few worms to put in each of the pots to help brake down the organic mater .
Dianna i have used Charlie carp before but i'm using fresh fish in this experiment i use about 3 bags of DLifter each spring and autumn and then i also foliar feed them every few weeks or when i can be bothered

Cestrum all i know about this is that it's a double white weather Knightii or some other ""Shrug"", I do have a few seedlings from it and they are 2 year olds now and should be flowering in spring ""Fingers X" i do have 1 that has flowered and very pretty in dead which i called DRC-Starburst because the mouth of the flower just makes it out of the Calyx & opens up.
It is a B.('Double White' x.aurea) X.aurea (form) so i hope that the other 4 seedling do well or come up with a nice color.
I have crossed it with Knightii, EP, aurea(form) and thinking about 'Deep Pink'(Clochester Rd) when it flowers which will be soon

Dianne your yard looks beautiful and full of Brug's, Zabaglione looks stunning (Mine should be blooming soon i hope)

Jean EP i just planted it in the ground after having it in a pot for about 4 years and only had 1-2 blooms ""not Flushes"" since it been ground bound i have just been getting more and more flowers on it, Last year i had probably about 20 flowers this Flush there is like 50+ so if it keeps going this way next year i should get about 100 flowers and a lot of pollen hahahahah
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 12, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9004629

Shaun please don't put worms in your pots. They work the soil and it just becomes a quagmire for the plants and they die. The worms are fine in the ground but not in pots. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 12, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9004638

Should be interesting when they flower, Shaun. So far as Ecuador Pink is concerned, you're obviously giving it what it needs :-)
Funny about worms. I remember a presenter at one of the gardening talks explaining that worms in pots were bad because they basically destroyed the structure of the soil (I think that's what he said). Anyway, the end result is either soil that is airless or without any nutrients (can't remember which) but I remember him saying that the plant starts to sicken and eventually die despite being given lashings of water and/or fertiliser, which it can no longer absorb. He actually said that all outdoor pots should be placed on some sort of raised structure (e.g. those 'tub' feet) to stop worms getting in them.
Ah, Dianne, that section of your garden looks beautiful. (I'm guessing that the overgrown grass/knee-high weeds are just out of camera view LOL) But that's a BIG seedpod you've got there :-)

This message was edited Feb 13, 2012 1:25 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 12, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9004650

I wouldn't advise putting worms into pots.
Just continue with the experiment to see what happens.
I tried the egg experiment but the cuttings didn't grow any more or less than the other ones. I did have some ant issues to address however. ^_^

I hear the sky rumbling again *Sigh*

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 12, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9004670

I'm glad that you agree with me ladies. My son got a Horticultural Degree at the Brisbane University and has always told me to get any worms out of the pots. Oh Chrissy I wish that I could throw a sky-net up and stop the rain for you. Not a drop here and supposed to warm up again for the week. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 12, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9004714

Well , I had better go out and tell the worms to vacate the pots immediately.
Most of my pots sit on the ground and worms do make their way into them , but I never know unless I am tipping a pot out and find a worm or two.
Usually only one or maybe two, but not even in all the pots. I havent seen any sign of them affecting the plants. Probably not enough to do any harm.
I wouldnt add worms though.
Its impossible for me to have all the pots sitting on something and I like the plant roots getting into the ground too.
Gives them a bit extra boost.
Also helps hold some of my brugs upright if they have anchored them selves.

I guess, like everything, it all depends on the plant, pot, weather etc.

If truth be known, except for the brugs , most of my pots would be too dry for fussy worms.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 12, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9004724

I agree Jean, the pots on the ground sometimes have the worms come and go, they don't seem to stick around, perhaps they get too warm or too dry, I have suffered one of my pots fill with ants once, The poor Brug looked ill but I couldn't figure out why and put it down to hail shock , I thought I had better take a look and when I picked it up it was too light. The inside was almost empty of it's contents and it was full of ants and eggs in the emptiness. Washed it all thoroughly, ants all running off over the place, replanted an almost dead plant after trimming off the dead looking roots and cutting the trunk to a couple of inches.
It not only grew well but really thrived after all that rough treatment. Why the ants chose that pot I do not know, but it just goes to show how tough these plants are ...if there is any white root left they will live, given the chance.

How did the plants look after the spray ? I hope that works for you.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9004725

Consensus states NO WORMS in shaun's experiments
i also love the idea of rooting pots to the ground it dose give them a mega BOOST and then in the winter if you want to shift them it's all kool to do so, I'v been doing this for years and have not lost a plant in the process,

also about over watering pots or wet feet,,, for over 10years i had plants in buckets of water most of the time 1/2 full and checked every day or 2 to keep the water up i found that the plants were all OK with it unless you took the water up to the top of the bucket that the plant would then be submerged in water NOT a GOOD IDEA they weep and take time to recover from the shock of Drowning like we do, it also keeps the plants small and not flower very well at all.

i am now in a position where i can have them in the ground or scattered around as this is family propity not a rental changed the lay out of the garden to suit the brugs also now i want more room hahah like we all dont

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 12, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9004728

I am very relieved to hear the Brugs survive in constant wet. I have no choice in some parts of the garden here. I would imagine so long as some part of the root area is above the water it should be savable.I confess I have been very troubled over all the water as specially when you nip the bud tips out and they pour like a tap.
In the heat no worries, (even though it's been a much cooler Summer) but if this rain continues through the cold, I think I would have to take lots of cuttings just in case.
thanks Shaun :) I hear it again ...rumble rumble !!!

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 12, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9004734

cestrum, I'll have you know that I am still single minded...today I removed a single Brug...lol

Tomorrow I will remove another...had to go out and didn't have time today...
That isn't the biggest seed pod...there is one larger and am I thrilled to bits...I haven't tried to grow them for years and this will be my first success...I don't care what it tastes like as long as it matures.

My garden is way too small to have weeds, I have a husband who gets up at 6 every morning, while I'm asleep, gets everything that he wants to do, done...then turns his attention to the garden...weeds don't stand a chance...lol
I see what you mean with your GB#3, no comparison.
I may take action over that photo too... :-)

Well I just tried to pollinate Bruce's Pink with Topsy pollen again...It didn't work in January, so we'll see...temperature is about the same...
Whatever Ecuador Pink paired up with cestrum, to produce Topsy...definitely wasn't a versi, 'cause Topsy no flopsy...

Dianne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 12, 2012
11:01 PM

Post #9004743

Nooo please don't come this way !!!!
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/clouds-unleash-hail-on-the-blue-mountains/story-e6frewy0-1226269865206
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
11:23 PM

Post #9004746

here are a few more pic's of EP

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 12, 2012
11:43 PM

Post #9004750

Shaun, you should find that EP works well as both a pod parent and pollen donor. (From memory, as a pod donor it produces rather small seeds, but a lot of them.) I'm still curious about your 'double white'. Until fairly recently (before the near-ubiquity of ebay ... if you can remember that far back), knightii was pretty much the only double white in Vic. Where did your 'double white' come from?

Dianne, you've gone all poetical :-) But geez, you could rent that industrious husband of yours out for a pretty penny, methinks.
No harm in trying to pollinate, if you've got the blooms. Esp. given the very reasonable temps for Vic in late summer.
BTW, no garden is too small for weeds!

Crazy weather in Sydney; nothing to do but batten down the hatches and wait it out. Then check out the damage tomorrow.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2012
12:00 AM

Post #9004751

Cestrum i got the plant from a Nursery 2005 and have had it flower many times for me, I do assume that it is 'Knightii' but have know idea
Iv just looked up on there web site and found that this variety is B.'Tantra'
it is registered via IBRUG
but it is conflicting
it states on there web site that it is
(Double White X aurea')
but you go to the IBRUG and it said
unspecified double white B x candida

Link to the Nursery http://herbalistics.com.au

Now i have a name for it Yeeepppppy
Shaun

Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 13, 2012
1:24 AM

Post #9004765

Hi Shaun ...Tantra is here in the Plant files and they check everything before they put the plant in there, so add yours.
Tantra is by Double White (Knightii) x Aurea ... the parents.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/181154/
Tantra chucks the odd double, so that is what gives the odd confusion sometimes.
So Tantra has doubles in it's genes. It is classified as a Single.

Dianne if the temperatures are dropping go for your life. Great time to do crosses, remember early morning or night just before the bloom unfurls all the way on the mother plant. put something over the donor ( mozzy net or something) to stop the critters getting in messing with the pollen grains until they fluff or remove the boy bits and allow to dry and fluff inside somewhere. Of course that sounds like a lot of trouble but it gets you the cross you choose.
The sticky pad on the mother that accepted the pollen is only sticky for a short few hours, any time after it drys up won't work.
Heat is the enemy of pollination so remember ...best done in the shady part of the plant.
Good luck.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 13, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9004842

I remembered that I saved this post, when Judy gave me my Tantra...have a look at Alistair's Shaun...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7265427
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 13, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9005328

Great minds think alike, Dianne ... I saved this post from Alistair too:

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9005345

Thanks Guys it defently is 'TANTRA

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 13, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9005405

So, if Tantra is carrying the genes for yellow then crossing it with another yellow should give you a good chance of producing some single yellow seedlings. And crossing it with a double yellow (FFA or Clementine) might give you a chance of producing some double yellows, I would think. Hmmm, enticing possibilities ...

Here is Pink Sweetie. I didn't notice anything unusual (in the first photo) until I took another look and realised (second and third photos) that there was a bloom from the first pink of Alistair's cross. Not a patch on the second pink (aka Pink Sweetie) and it has barely flowered--has nothing like the large flushes of its sibling--but I can't quite get myself to throw it out. It was after all my first pink seedling.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 13, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9005409

Chrissy, I did the milk & flour spray and now have brugs with a white powdery dusting on them. Wont hurt because it will soon wear off. I get marks on the leaves of plants from the calcium in our water which dont seem to bother anything.
I will spray again on Friday and also buy some more oil. I will see if I can find Eco oil or just use the White Oil.
Not having the right ingredients in the cupboard for my witches brew, I just used ordinary powdered milk & plain flour.
That Tantra is a very pretty girl.
Mine is doing well Dianne.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 13, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9005493

Nothing much to report here,
Yes Tantra is beautiful and what a bonus that it carries double and yellow genes.

I hope that spray works for you Jean,

I left out a space on my second shot in the name, but you know what I mean,
The twisted tendrils are still twisted on number three and finally I found E.Pink bloomed, one lonely bloom trashed and fallen off (the whole little branch)from the storm poor little thing ...it's very fuzzy isn't it.
It's awfully wet, mud, long wet grass and dripping spider webs, slip sliding in my Crocs UGH !

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 13, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9005500

Could someone tell me if E.Pink is a small bloom please? it was a bit of a surprise to see the size, quite petite ...I thought E.Pink would be longer and larger. I was wondering if the bloom has been affected by the weather or is that the normal size.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 13, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9005518

I wouldn't call it small, but then I didn't think that FFA was a small bloom until someone called it that LOL
Anyway, hope this helps.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 13, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9005550

Thanks, it is quite petite compared to say Pink Panther, this one anyway. Thankyou this came from you. I have never had E.Pink bloom for me even after a couple of different pieces in different conditions, this one was planted in full sun as apposed to semi shade, the one in the shade grows ok but does not bloom yet, while this one (fully exposed to the elements as you can see) has bloomed and seems to be suddenly coming to life despite the the weather. Maybe it loves the rain. ^_^
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 13, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9005588

Gosh, that must have been a while--a couple of years?--ago. Warmth, water and food: that's what EP needs to flower well. As I've said often, in my garden at least it needs a lot of TLC to induce those flushes.
BTW, while I was outside last night I smelt another freshly opened bloom from the FFA cutting growing in a bucket (and so reachable). Divine! I think it must be the best-perfumed of all my brugs--such a treasure :-) How does it compare with Clementine?
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9005694

Chrissy EP Is the longest bloom in my arsenal
It is about 18" long and about 6-8"across
I would say that the weather has done some
Thing as I have always had long flowers
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 13, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9005707

It's been such a long time since I've had flowers on mine--other than an odd straggly one now and then--that I can't remember exactly how long the blooms were. I wish I'd thought to take a photo of a bloom against a ruler! Anyway, here's a pic from when it had good flushes, about two years ago now.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 13, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9005716

Mind you, I did think to take a photo showing the length of the seedpod LOL

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9005730

Cestrum the EP from 2009 look great and
I'll have to take pic's with a ruler in at least 1
So that I have a reference to the blooms and
Each variety
Good one max
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 13, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9005731

Max? Max? Who's Max??
Yes, EP did look great ... back in 2010 it was. Feb 2010, so exactly two years ago.
Funny how you never think to take photos of certain things ...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 13, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9005900

[quote="cestrum_SEQ"]So, if Tantra is carrying the genes for yellow then crossing it with another yellow should give you a good chance of producing some single yellow seedlings. And crossing it with a double yellow (FFA or Clementine) might give you a chance of producing some double yellows, I would think. Hmmm, enticing possibilities ...[/quote]

I agree with your theory cestrum, but I bet that Alistair has crossed and double crossed every local yellow possibility.
The OS yellows might be more the go, like one of the double/triple Angel cvs, 'Angels Swingtime' etc...

Good luck with your milk and flour Jean, while I was looking thru the old threads today, I saw a post where Colleen, mentioned that the Palmolive dishwashing liquid had taken care of her mites...that was 2009...so it must be ok.
if the M&F doesn't work, I would try that...
Dianne
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 13, 2012
10:00 PM

Post #9005903

Are yellow seedlings so hard to produce, then? Had no idea!
Ah, but when has that ever stopped us from trying :-)
Still, Tantra will be a good one to breed from ...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 13, 2012
10:29 PM

Post #9005923

Don't know if they are, cestrum...the Angel cvs have plenty of yellows, but that woman is a genius with Brugs.

Chrissy's Hope and Angioletto have a good touch of yellow...they may be the ones to try...
Hope has Bergfeurer x Aurea as parents if I'm correct and Angioletto has Ludger's Windsong, which looks yellow at times...I wonder if the yellow from the gardens would make a good cross for Tantra.

I must give my Tantra a boost with some beer, molasses and epsom salts...he hasn't flowered this year...glad that yours is doing well, Jean...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 13, 2012
10:46 PM

Post #9005932

Angioletto is particularly pretty, but then I'm fond of the aureas generally :-)
Wonder what this Elfin Pink pod will produce?

PS "That woman" is the one who doesn't list the parents of her seedlings, right? Looks like she's hit the motherlode of doubles and doesn't want anyone else to encroach on her stake!

This message was edited Feb 14, 2012 4:56 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2012
11:19 PM

Post #9005945

i like the Idea there Cestrum of crossing with a double OS yellow that has double in it also
on the other hand i don't have any pollen
can some one supply some of them Hope , Angioletto, Clementine & FFA i would appreciate it very much and then have a few other pollen doner to the collection as i don't have plants of these 3

I am crossing it with 'Knightii' aurea(form)again and 'EP' and still it has more flowers coming so i can get in to them also

Dianne where did you get your Tantra from if i may ask?????

Hope your day was productive

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 14, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9006403

Anne Kirchner-Abel for those of us who aren't familiar with her work in hybridising brugmansias..
http://www.engelstrompete.de/
The site will translate from german...amazing is the word that descibes her work..

Gena, have a look at her flowers, your tongue will hang out...
I know she doesn't disclose the breeding of her plants and that's a bit frustrating but it's how she makes her money...
Wonder how she does it?
When you go thru the A's in the BGI gallery...the Angel varieties seem endless...

While we are on the subject of hybridising, take a look at eddiedewayne's latest gem...14 to 16 tendrils.
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/22809-chat-room-meet/page__pid__281407#entry281407

I don't have any of those in flower,Shaun ...my Tantra came from a lovely lady who no longer comes to our forum..they are her pics in DG

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 8:20 AM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9006619

Dianne this http://www.engelstrompete.de/...

The following error occurred:

The specified URL was not found on this server.
Please check your URL or contact the webmaster.

sorry

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 14, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9006651

Shaun it may just be easier to look them up in this Gallery ^_^ the Angel Range anyway.
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/4-a/

I think like Monika, they found the key to doubles from many years of hard work ...for every beauty we see, we probably don't see perhaps hundreds that were discarded. We are so lucky to be given years of hard work in the form of various seeds.

I am rooting up many of the doubles but their roots are taking longer to fill the cups than usual (it must be the sunless weather), I won't send them until they fill the cup with roots. Filling the cups with roots is usually only a couple of weeks in the usual Summer weather.
Your Culebra is sending up suckers ^_^ it must like these conditions ???

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 14, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9006672

I forgot to say that your pictures look wonderful in the plant files Shaun ^_^
It's lovely to see Australian Pictures in there.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/181154/
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 14, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9006676

You just need to delete everything after that .de: http://www.engelstrompete.de

No spare FFA blooms, I'm afraid Shaun: any I have I'm busy pollinating myself after waiting over two years for blooms--well worth the wait, though :-) Might be able to cut you an above-Y piece from my inground FFA, if you're willing to strike it yourself. (Shouldn't take two years to flower.) Let me know.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 14, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9006692

Shaun, didn't your young eyes pick up the extra dots at the end of the address...lol
click on mine again, I took them off...
Go into her photos, then click on gardens...there is a pic there of Phanomel that is phenomenal.
Her site is very interesting and she is advertising her new Brug book on the literature page...wish I read german...
My server doesn't always translate very well for me but it's easy to get the gist..

Check out this one too...no extra dots...http://www.monika-gottschalk.de/eng/
This is the woman who is co- writing the book with Alistair...
That wouldn't be far away either...

Thanks cestrum, I have been wandering around on Monica's site.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 14, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9006697

http://www.monika-gottschalk.de/
Not my day, I had better go...lol
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 14, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9006702

Is this the one you mean, Dianne?
http://www.engelstrompete.de/site/einzel/56.htm

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 14, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9006709

Here is the key to doubles I am pretty sure (and most of you have worked out by now)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2521/
So bear in mind that the doubles we have, have those or Knightii Genes in them already and the Australian Doubles are the result.

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9006722

Cestrum that is very generous of you to supply FFA as a cutting to me.

Cestrum and Dainne.
Those sites are friggen amazing and (Chrissy)wish that the key to Doubles were available to us but that will not happen till Anne Kirchner-Abel either retires or passes on and leaves her research to others to carry on ... what a shame

the books look interesting and i wonder if there is any info to that in Anne's Literary documents, i have also read that Sam throws doubles constantly so he could be a key also
Thanks chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 14, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9006832

Well, I was only offering; the supply will come next week, Shaun :-)
Back to the watering ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 14, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9006898

Speaking of Fire Fighter Angel, I can't believe what I found this morning, I did plant a bit of the above the Y in with Knightii, you know , just shoved it in the pot and forgot it. This morning I got quite a surprise ! it's one I could see up close whoo hoo !!!
Beautiful if somewhat pale.
Smells lovely ! The bloom itself is heavily loaded like the mature plants blooms but the shape is very pretty, in my eyes anyway, I am thrilled to find that FFA can be a shorter plant but it must come from above the Y if you want that ...I do !

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 14, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9006903

Wayne here is your first seedling blooming (tangled tendrils have untangled) the pictures don't show it but I can see both yellow/peach and pink staining starting to come through, it's a big bloom ! lovely scent, I hope it opens up a bit more, but it is a real crowd stopper so far !
I hope you like it !

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 14, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9006907

Lovely, Chrissy--about time you got some easy-to-reach FFA blooms! Perhaps when I cut off a piece for Shaun I'll cut another piece for myself, to create a much shorter plant so that I can really get up and close with this fragrant beauty :-) Have so far had only the pale colour here on FFA, but the scent is superb :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 14, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9006909

Here is the sweet darling Angioletto ♥*..*❤
It of course is grey and stormy here again so please excuse picture quality,

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 14, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9006911

Wayne's yellow seedling--what cross is that? (I've lost track ...)
Beautiful waxy-looking blooms on Angioletto ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 14, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9006917

It had a date with Butter Bomb this morning, hopefully it may work, the bees were not out yet because it was sprinkling lightly,
I thought I gave away all my cuttings of FFA , it was such a big surprise, I am so chuffed. ^_^
Of course the above Y's bloom so much quicker too.
Oops posted this same picture twice sorry.
Lower left white is a beautiful versicolor shape, it's Axel Rose blooming, lovely ! the other pics were no good too dark as the clouds came over in a dark grey, sprinkling :(
There goes all the pollen.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 14, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9006920

Wayne's seedling is Big x Fire Fighter Angel ^_^ I think the Big genes won on the size ! but FFA donated the tendrils with bells on.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9006981

chrissy nice to see some blooms in the doom of the weather your having up there
FFA look stunning in the last pic just collecting it's thoughts and coloring up,
Waynes seedling Big x Fire Fighter Angel is cute and if you put your Imagination in to it you can see some other colors other then yellow, and your darling little Angioletto last but not least has shown up again

it's quite hot here and my Suaveolens have flopped for the day and will recover in about 3-4 hours or when i get to water them again

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 14, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9007060

That's the one, cestrum...isn't it a beauty...

My day is continuing, I just took some cuttings and had them lined up to put tags on them, answered the phone and while I was talking, absentmindedly dropped them into the bucket of water, without tags..

I have a few plants growing that are Angel's Swingtime babies, hopefully they will flower next spring...

When I first bought seeds on Ebay, knowing absolutely nothing, except that the picture was pretty...I
bought anything that looked good..Angel's Exotic, A.Swingtime and lots of Charleston...

The next year, I bought seeds that combined flowers that were popular and always talked about.
Eg: Rosalla, Sam, LBG, Dorthea, Rosamond.

Last year, I was more selective and considered the good points on both parents, most were singles.
Such as Superspot, Mango Crush, El Dorado and Jacayna...

When I look at the lists there are surprisingly few Brugs known, that are offspring of a cross of the most popular Brugs...and just consider how many thousands of seeds of a cross like Rosalla x Sam must be produced and sold...

Of the cvs that I mentioned Rosamond, as a pollen parent /pod parent, appears to have the most "known cvs" offspring...and Rosamond is a single...Rothkirch x Ocre.
Rothkirch of course, has been a wonderful parent.

So now that I know what I'm looking for it will save a lot of time and money...I am focused...the only trouble is I'm focused on quite a few...
A pink aurea, a lemon double, an orange single/double.
Now if I could get the depth of colour from Buck's Fizz into something, but all over instead of just the hem...just look at these BF's, like baby birds in a nest.

The tangled tendril one is looking very good Chrissy...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2012
10:02 PM

Post #9007215

I found a new house with many Brugmansia in again this time closer,
it's a house that i got the 'Knightii' (Lincoln Rd) from and the next door is the family home they have been growing 'Knightii' for more then 50years and love the plant and the Fragrance.
She has i think!
'Buck's Fizz'
'Knightii'
sanguinea
'Old Apricot'
??? 'Aztec Gold' was the label and not a good pic of it either and the plant is an aurea but what variety i'm not sure of at the moment.

She was so lovely we talked Brugmansia for about and hour se was supprised that some one was interested in them and not just the fragrance.
I mentioned to her about BGI & DG as she was very interested in what i was doing with all of you guys
i will be going back to here place in about 3 weeks or so to take some plants to her and get her more interested in them

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 14, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9007220

Shaun, you are so funny...we should make you our official brugmansia investigator...
Chrissy is our best brug advocate, but you are coming a very close 2nd...good work, you may have recruited another brugnut.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 14, 2012
10:38 PM

Post #9007224

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/uploads/1299705553/gallery_781_274201.jpg

Caribbean Nights, isn't it lovely..

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 14, 2012
10:41 PM

Post #9007225

Round them up Shaun ...our secret love is no secret anymore !!! ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0fe2m_4c7E&feature=related
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 15, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9007846

Great going , Shaun.
Our very own Indiana Jones and the lost brugs.
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 15, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9008027

Hi everyone. I have 90 seeds from Butter Bomb X Sauvelons [white] Does anyone want some? Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 15, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9008322

Running late as I didn't get out into the garden until after lunch.

Isn't this a great little tool :)

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=brugmansia&submit=Submit
He says it so nicely that it no longer sounds harsh to my ears.(thanks Nicci)

So we had a few hours of pretty warm sun so the new seedling is wilting in the heat but is taking on quite orange tones (I definitely saw pink in those tendrils yesterday. ). I am almost positive this carries both colours.
I am taking the picture in the shadows of the leaves because the sun and flash washes out the colour, which is darker than the picture shows.
Second picture is Axel Rose, showing no wilting but it is in heavy shade under the canopy, it is very nice and pristine white but the greenish tone is a reflection of the leaves.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 15, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9008336

Congratulations on your seeds. You will probably get whites out of that cross because the white S will dominate. I bet you will get some nice shapes. I can imagine a big white 7/8 pointed blooms out of that. Good luck with them. The scent will probably be wonderful.

I have seen another bloom from Wayne re Old Apricot seedlings all being an Apricot colour, Alistair reminded us that the apricot colour and shape dominates it's seedlings, I suggest once again that Old Apricot perhaps will give you colour (Apricot) in your doubles quest. A double Apricot would be lovely I think.
Hopefully Wayne may post the seedling here when he has time.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 15, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9008340

Sorry, Colleen, hands full here with my own seedlings.

Chrissy, I *love* that pronunciation website! (And yes, that voice, mmm hmmm :-) ) Have been using it to play around with words that have always caused me pronunciation problems. So, what do you think those different tones in Wayne's Big x Pink Panther seedling signify? That it will change colour thru the seasons? Or that it can produce seedlings that are either pink or yellow? Or maybe seedlings with two colours, such as that Tabby?

It's the warmth and wind that are drying up the pollen here, but those very things make it more comfortable for me so I'm not complaining! Hopefully you'll get some more sunshine down there too soon.

Shaun, amazing how many brug gardeners you've found. I have seen only one within a--10km?--radius, and that only from the train, not somewhere I can walk up the path and knock on the door. (There are two large brugs, tree-sized, visible from the train and one is definitely Old Apricot but I haven't been able to identify the other as the train whizzes past so quickly, can't even remember the colour now.) And there's only one gardener (a friend of a friend) who grew brugs--she was the source of my Ipswich knightii (her only brug until I started sharing mine). Actually, I saw a brug in an inner-city Brisbane garden, again, from the train, again tree-sized but that one yellow, almost certainly an aurea because I don't remember the flowers flopping in the sun.

I've pruned back my monster brug seedling--the one with multiple trunks topped off with multiple Ys since last autumn, which refuses to flower. The branches had grown straight across the path to the point where I had to go around, so I sawed them off and placed them in a bucket of Seasol thinking I might replant them on the off chance that the seedling will be worth keeping. Will think about this as the pruned seedling is still large and I'm not sure it's worth giving all that space to an untried seedling ...

That orange hem on Bucks Fizz is a lovely orange--it definitely seems to be darker in shade in my garden.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 15, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9008348

Forgot the photo ...

PS Am wondering if Old Apricot predominates as much when it's the pollen donor rather than the pod parent? (It can also produce white seedlings, eg when used to pollinate a strong aurea such as Golden Butter x OA.) Also, has anyone gone on to grow out its second-generation seedlings yet e.g. (OA x brug1) x brug 2? I've got second-gen seeds but will be another couple of years or so before they flower.

This message was edited Feb 16, 2012 2:38 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 15, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9008361

It's not Big (my error) it's Giant (my head mixes it up all the time)
So it is Giant x Fire Fighter Angel.
Long ago I think we may have been calling it Big until we found there was a Big already.
My bet is that there is PP in there somewhere. My bet is that it would probably give both colours Pink and Yellow in various tones.
Most of the PP seedlings have been Pink. But she has thrown yellow too.
Remember this cute little PP seedling, she was totally wrecked in the hail but I am expecting blooms again soon. She was very cute but I was carried away with the doubles and almost forgot about her after she was torn down in the storm, now back up to 5 ft.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 15, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9008363

As mentioned to Colleen white S, dominates all, so it needs dumbing down in order to get colour.
We don't know what is in some Brugs, so that makes it a bit hard.
We can only work it out by the progeny.
I think it happens when OA is the pod parent more than the pollen parent. I don't know for sure.
I guess we will find out :)
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 15, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9008382

Is it worth propagating these seeds then Chrissy if they will be white? I had imagined a large yellow from that cross with a wonderful perfume. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 15, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9008395

If you love a large fragrant white then yes, if you are after colour probably not, however having said that Poison is now a favourite of mine and it was from a S.White. My guess is it was one outstanding one, out of probably hundreds of whites.
I only mentioned it because you may be stuck for room, and if you are after colour you might want to reserve the room for those, I am sure Shaun will be along any tick of the clock to take some of those seeds, he really seems to adore the Suaveolens.
The other thing to consider is a friend or neighbour, they might love some of your plants to grow out in their garden, you could germinate them and give them to them as seedlings.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 15, 2012
9:50 PM

Post #9008403

And then there's that Aztec Gold 2009#3 seedling of mine, which flowered yellow (although we've yet to see what colour subsequent flushes will be). But I guess if you're on the fast-track to yellow, that's probably not the cross to try.
I think so many of our local crosses are likely to give unpromising first-gen seedlings. But if you have the time/motivation/space to try, think what *unique* gems you might produce in the second or third gen seedlings. Because some portion of those white first-gen seedlings will be carrying genes for colour, which might express itself in the second or third gen seedlings ...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 15, 2012
10:00 PM

Post #9008408

That's the dilemna, Colleen...to plant or not to plant...one that we all will face with these crosses coming on...with the info that Chrissy has given us, I think that you would be better putting your efforts
and hopes into a cross that will at least give you a small percentage chance of getting a coloured one..
You might have to plant all 90 to get one from that cross by the sound of it...
Then again?

cestrum, the truest orange pic of Buck's Fizz, is that one you put on here and BGI with the blue background...the pics rarely show the vibrant, clear, orange that they really are.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 15, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9008416

Ah, but it only flowered that rich vibrant orange for me once (i.e. when that photo was taken).
A lovely plant though ...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 15, 2012
11:37 PM

Post #9008444

The minute the weather cools, not that it's cool today, all of the Buck's Fizz are that colour...sometimes it lasts till the flower finishes...

Now I'm going to dazzle you with Bruce's Pink...when it's in flower it's a beauty...I don't like it when the flowers are finished, so I always take them off, they hang like red meat...isn't that silly...but that's what they remind me of...so off they go before they can ruin the beautiful image of them in flower..
probably all the deep pink ones do, but I only have BP...

Good thing that I have biscuits of hay all over the garden,'cause when I took a few upfacing ones I landed on my derriere...no damage, only to the hay...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2012
2:37 AM

Post #9008470

guys im always on the look out for the next plant if not garden with Brug in them.

Cestrum Bucks Fizz is a pretty and the color rich at the moment

Chrissy BP is Superb and in full glory the weather has not dampen your spirit hope to see more blooms in the Autumn

Colleen as chrissy said im interested in all seed and im not 100% sure which way i will be going in growing what species genes as i have not relay had that much experiance with the crosses that are coming thou , i have an obsession for Pink and deep Pinks and looks like Knightii but all still up in the air till i have a bit more experience with them,

i have White Ruff Blooming like made right now about 50-60 flowers and about that many more in the bud stage, cant get to them at the moment as it's wet and there are just to many to consider pollinating hahahahahaha im not a friggen B

here is also 'Frosty Pink' beautiful up close

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 16, 2012

Post #9009208

There isn't anything much that could rival the breathtaking sight of a huge flush of beautiful Brugs on display, and that is even before we get to the perfume ! Lovely !

I am getting some replacement grass shears today in an effort to keep the triffid grass and weeds down, still can't mow in some areas without bogging so please excuse the grass ruining the pictures. Grabbing a little sun today before the impending three days of rain ...again !
Sorry the last picture doubled itself ? it was supposed to be Heart of Gold ?
So the first three are a lovely little thick textured bloom that smells beautiful and hangs way down (very long calyx length) it is another petite baby.
The last two are the same pic of Crinoline.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 16, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9009214

Of course all the grasshoppers are having a wonderful time, so are the 28 spotted lady birds. The green grubs are easing off after eating some leaves almost to nothing in hard to reach areas.Small snails are back.
So here we have Heart of Gold, just because it's a pretty thing even without the golden heart.
The others are Giant x Fire Fighter Angel. This seedling is determined to laze around the place, semi opening only and some lazy sort of waving of the tendrils here and there. I can imagine a big flush looking quite stunning even without the flung up tendrils, it almost reminds you of Bengal Tiger who does this too. It has a very thick almost fuzzy texture, it will be very interesting to observe it's progress.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 16, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9009229

Last but very nice (sorry about the picture quality-plants all jostling each other)
is Axel Rose,after viewing it ...I am pretty sure Big Stripey (or was it old Stripey) is a green shoot off this V.Brug. I quite literally watched the stripes of colour creep into the bloom. very interesting, I don't know if you can see it as much in the pictures as the naked eye, but the quiet stripes on the calyx also add to the interest of the pretty bloom.
Sorry the 4th picture should have been first, it starts out a lovely pure white of course, then the stripes creep in before the colour fills out the bloom. Last is one I forgot to show of Giant x Fire Fighter Angel (I think ) ^_^

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 16, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9009236

Last but always a delight is the glorious if somewhat chewed and battered Butter Bomb ...I Love it so much ! I can always tell when it opens just by the fragrance wafting in through the windows. Something weird going on with the pictures.
Oh well you can never have enough of BB.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 16, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9009489

Great photos, Chrissy. I love the way this multi-image upload lets you showcase a brug and yet contain it all in one message.
Dianne, I can see where Pink Sweetie gets its floriferous nature from: Bruce's Pink is the pod parent :-)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 17, 2012
12:18 AM

Post #9009528

Strangest thing ... have been waiting for these buds to mature with great anticipation. First flower is a pale pink. I was expecting a very rich dark pink but it could darken over the next few days. Then I noticed something else strange--it's supposed to be a double. Yet this is definitely a single--not just the proper flower, but the two green buds as well.

Bet you'll never guess what brug this is ...

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 17, 2012
12:22 AM

Post #9009530

It's Mya's Fifi!
Has anyone else had a flower from it? And if so, did it look like this?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 17, 2012
12:35 AM

Post #9009531

Mine didn't grow cestrum, so I can't help you...but I remember it as a dark melon coloured double...very pretty...
Maybe it throws singles too...nice twangers...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 17, 2012
1:11 AM

Post #9009534

Mine is growing ok, I remember it was a double, that's pretty much all I remember about it other than it was dark pink I think.

Mine was pretty much trashed in that hail storm, it's up to my chin now, it had buds but dropped them in the storms (not unusual for doubles) ...should get another lot of buds before the cold stops everything.
I will see if I can look it up somewhere. It will be interesting to see what it does for you in the next few days, is that the only bloom.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7999395
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7999399
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8001439

No not a double I think you might be confused with Bricals pink double.
It's in that same thread ...gee what great times huh, and aren't we fussy now ^_^
Come a long way from then huh, I miss the gals so much.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 17, 2012
1:22 AM

Post #9009536

I meant we might be confused, perhaps it's this one re a double.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7994861
This one of Judy's, looks like a Pink Smitty baby huh ? I wonder if it has survived.

*sigh* it seems so long ago now ...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 17, 2012
1:30 AM

Post #9009537

Yes, Chrissy, quite possibly... I remembered the beautiful colour...I think Allan's Fernando came out around the same time too.

Did you have any luck with the seeds we got from Joelle?...I only ended up with one, poor little thing is very slow...hope you did better.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2012 8:34 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 17, 2012
1:40 AM

Post #9009539

I can see why they call it tomato red, Fifi, I mean ...I remember Mya telling Alistair that the second flush was something along the lines of a menopausal old bag having hot flushes or something like that ^_^ I hope ours bloom bright tomato red too, but I somehow doubt it. It will be interesting, probably more like Lipstick I reckon.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2012
1:45 AM

Post #9009540

Chrissy all those blooms tell a fabulous story of how the flower developed over the hours or even days.
BTW: all looking Beautiful

Cestrum Mya's Fifi is a Stunning color but a bit not a big fan of the recurved tendrils that the other pic's showed of it but once again it is a brug!

iv just gone out and pollinated 'Frosty Pink' x.Pink Panther, FP x.EP, FP x.BP, FP x.DP&G
what do you girls think of these combinations???? im hoping fro a deeper pink in a suaveolens bloom with slightly longer tendrils, am i heading on the right path?????
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2012
1:47 AM

Post #9009542

[quote="chrissy100"]I can see why they call it tomato red, Fifi, I mean ...I remember Mya telling Alistair that the second flush was something along the lines of a menopausal old bag having hot flushes or something like that ^_^ I hope ours bloom bright tomato red too, but I somehow doubt it. It will be interesting, probably more like Lipstick I reckon.[/quote]

This is so funny Chrissy LOL
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 17, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9010183

Great flowers for everyone.
I am just going out to do another spray of the flour. milk mix. I used powdered milk last time as thats all I had. It seemed to work but I will remember to filter it next time. A lot of sediment which tended to clog the sprayer.
I bought some buttermilk so will see how that goes.
I see lots of tiny black dots on the leaves now instead of the orange before, so I am thinking they are dead mites. Still a few signs of web but nothing like i had before.
I have buds opening on one of the arboreas , also one on Clementine.
There are small buds coming on Mango Cornet and Pink Panther. I also have nice new growth on the other brugs.
My sangs are looking better after the mite attack and growing tall. Up to around 2 1/2 feet now.
I am hoping that new buds will come on some of the other brugs that lost theirs in the heat.
Better get over and open the Tea Room. Everyone will think I slept in.
Jean.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 17, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9010184

Thanks for that, Chrissy. I remembered the rich dark colour but somehow thought it was a double. Yes, probably because of all the double pinks that seemed to suddenly have flowered for the first time back then.
Here it is this morning, darker as expected but already too late for me to detect a fragrance. Strongly reminds me of my (and now yours!) recurved Pink Smitty x Dorthea seedling.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2012 7:58 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 17, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9010306

They look alike don't they ? I have Earth Angel x Pink Smitty 4 opening this morning, they open pale pink and darken up over the next couple of days. These ones have once again been pounded by rain but not the inches we have been getting over the last few weeks only short heavy storms. They look a bit more settled and I only have lost a handful of buds, you can see all the long wet grass, this area is a swamp when it rains.
The tendrils are really straight as they opened this time ...let's see what they do today, we had a bit of sun yesterday but evening storms again last night and a bit more sun this morning. I am hoping the buds won't drop off any more now the monsoon rains have stopped.The last pic is just a random shot.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 17, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9010317

Jean ...I really feel for you, I hope this is the end of the drama for you, mine look shocking too from munchers, I try to cut out the holes in the pics but it's hard to do because they are everywhere. I can't wait to see your blooms.
Ok so here we have my darling TT in another building flush and the seedling Iochroma, the Iochroma has this branch collapsed onto the ground in the storm and of course the critters got at it. it's so cute though.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 17, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9010337

This new Seedling is lovely to look at from below, it has the wonderful swirls I love in a Brug, it prefers to do this in a lowered way, no up flung ones here, "it's like cool man, relax" The colour parade in it is very nice because you get cream, creamy peach and toffee colour edging, believe it or not even a little pinkish in there from different angles.in the 4th pic it's hanging out with the Axelrose (correct spelling). ^_^
G x FFA

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 17, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9010525

Ok so we are trying to sort out Axelrose ...what came first hmmmm.
I see with my own eyes the shoots that come out of Axelrose and it throws a Maya looking shoot plus a plain shoot. I took off the plain ones to root up but the snails got all but one of the Maya type one though I am sure there will be more. There seems to be a query on that ?
Here are some pictures (submitting without the name in case it is not Axelrose).
Mulberry poop on it, sorry and I hate the snails having got to the last Maya shoot.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 17, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9010536

Frosty Pink x Ecuador Pink seems like an esp. good choice, Shaun, as you've already got pink genes on the suaveolens side so I would think you'd have a greater chance of producing a pink suaveolens-type seedling. Whether it will give you the longer tendrils you're after, I don't know.

Chrissy, those are gorgeous blooms, hard to imagine that they've made it thru the tropical wet you've had so far. You will be overwhelmed with blooms if you get a decent run of dry warm days.

I too bought some buttermilk this week Jean, but solely for the kitchen LOL Looks like you're having success with the spraying, though. Either that or the bugs are having a really good feed :-)

Some comparisons:

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 17, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9010572

If you're seeing black mites Jean, then I'd say it was working, thank goodness...
I hope all those buds flower for you.

cestrum how is the bicarb doing?...mine are still untouched...I don't know why the green caterpillars are staying away, because they are everywhere else...the seedlings are getting tall now and even the cuttings that are 30cms tall and full of soft leaves are untouched...probably just a fluke but interesting.

Great pics everyone...can't wait to see Fifi again...I didn't think that it was tomato red...it looked more dark melon to me...that's why I liked it...here's the colour chart Mya used to describe it.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7999396

You're going to have a busy time Shaun...I like the Frosty Pink x PP cross.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 17, 2012
11:39 PM

Post #9010682

Chrissy those plant are doping so well for you now that you have a few days rest bite from the dreaded Weather

Cestrum i like how you do your comparisons its good to see as a new bee and to see some of the different crosses that all of you have

Jean hope all is going well for you on those friggen MITES

ATM i have many plants budding up & i think 2 of them are old Apricot so cant wait to see if im right and then cull 1 after flowering probably the 1 in the garden as its a lot more straggly then the 1 in the lawn area (no grass)

Been working all day and so great full to be home
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 18, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9011231

Potted all my brug cuttings yesterday. I have had them sitting in a bucket of water and they were already getting real roots.
I have them in the mix I bought last week. Rose-citrus mix . It is full of lots of wood chips and makes the pots heavier. It should do the plants okay though as they will like the coarseness.
I did a couple of other plants and will wait fro my usual finer mix for all the seedling brugs.

I will spray today. Didnt get to it yesterday as it was very warm even early . Much better this morning.

Yes , I am thinking all those black dots are dead bodies. There was a lot of web etc on the suavoleons so I cut it back, binned the pieces and moved it to the shadehouse.
Hopefully I am winning the war.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 18, 2012

Post #9011380

Good on you Jean ! Brugmansia Poison: the huge greenish (very Jurrasic looking) Bloom slowly unfurls into the biggest Brug you have ever seen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 18, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9011382

Don't we love this multi pic thingy ...it's like opening a book ! with pretty pictures !
Saves so much time too !
Love this tangled tendrils darling !

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 18, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9011387

The blooms of this seedling just last and last ! here is another sibling eating up my garden ...reminds me of both parents leaves huge toothed Jurassic things. Love them!
Earth Angel x Pink Smitty in pale mode due to warm night.
Wonderful what a bit of sun can do though ^_^

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 18, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9011403

Can't get a sense of how big Poison is as there's nothing to compare it with, but I'll take your word for it Chrissy that it's big! (Took me ages before I realised just how big the blooms on TT were, for the same reason.) I love Allan's photo of Fernando showing a hand holding the bloom because the size of that flower hits you immediately.

Wanted to show how the bloom on Mya's Fifi changes over a 13-hour period--how the tendrils curl and then how the bloom darkens.

This message was edited Feb 19, 2012 10:37 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 18, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9011437

Love the time line pics cestrum...Fifi changes very quickly doesn't she...how is the perfume?

Now that Pink Panther and Buck's Fizz are both flushing, all the bees are back. Some of them are so loaded with pollen from those 2 brugs that it's falling from their legs as they fly...there are always bees in the garden but when these 2 are in flower, the bees are here in far greater numbers.

This message was edited Feb 19, 2012 12:13 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 18, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9011490

Have you ever noticed the pollen is pink in the bee's little bags on the legs? they look so cute flying around dusted in pink.

Great shots cestrum,
I did do a comparison shot of Poison next to another brug , I think it was Buck's Fizz or Aztec Gold a long time ago, I think it may have been lost when my computer blew up, the IT guy did retrieve quite a lot of my photos but I also lost many of my earlier shots.

I will try and get another comparison shot later when Poison opens in the cooler temps, like all Sauveolens it shuts down in the day.
Most of my Pinks seem to open pink rather than white to pink, now that we have this multi feature we can track things better.
Even the flushes can change from flush to flush if the weather is different of course.
The first shot is the first flush from this Earth Angel x Pink Smitty ...the second is from the second flush.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 18, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9011507

Pink Smitty crossed so far ...1 2 3 4 different blooms looking similar.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 18, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9011516

Fire Fighter Angel in various conditions and flushes.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 18, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9011521

Twilight Time in various flushes and conditions (she is very stable in her traits compared to most, this is why ID is so difficult ^_^ for so many Brugs.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 18, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9011524

Glass House Angel at various times and conditions.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 18, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9011527

Clementine in various conditions and flushes

So nice to show the different faces of our Brugs.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 18, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9011530

Chrissy, those four photos of Pink Smitty seedling/s: are they from four different seedlings of the same PS cross?

Dianne, the seedlings in the foam box were growing right alone the edge so, when I sprinkled the bicarb of soda, I had to sprinkle it over them. Alas, it had the opposite effect it has on cakes: it made them collapse! Yes, they wilted the next day and died. Just wasn't possible to create a barrier in that situation. Never mind, more seedlings from that cross have germinated so it was worth the experiment. Lesson learned: don't sprinkle it on the seedlings themselves!

I hadn't intended to take that series of pics of Fifi. But I was out there watering and thought the splayed tendrils on the white bloom looked particularly pretty. Then, half an hour later, I noticed that the tendrils had curled so had to fetch the camera again. Then, at dusk, I saw that the bloom had turned pick so back with the camera for one last pic that evening.

While I was there, I saw that PS x D had a white bloom too, so took a photo of that and another this morning, after it had turned pink. Then of course I had to compare it with Fifi. Fifi is the larger bloom. They both have a talcum musk powder perfume but (so far) PS x D smells noticeably stronger.

Ooops--the first two photos labelled Fifi are actually PS x D, in white and pink mode. The last photo showing both is correctly labelled.

This message was edited Feb 19, 2012 1:41 PM

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 18, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9011553

You're so right, Chrissy: the blooms from the same plant can look so different from one flush to the other that showing only one bloom does not give you a real appreciation of how the blooms change--according to the season, growing conditions, age of bloom etc.

GHA does resemble Golden Butter, on the basis of those photos, although I remember you saying that GHA has the stronger perfume. Anyway, here is a comparison of two of my GB crosses showing how different they look from above, side-on and below. GB#4 (the one whose label I couldn't find) is larger and has the waxier bloom, and both have the classic aurea scent although I can't yet work out which is stronger. I must say, I haven't yet had a GB cross that I haven't liked :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 18, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9011573

That's downright cruelty, cestrum...those poor little seedlings...I'm glad that the others are ok.

Chrissy I have been trying to think what your first 2 pics of TT, remind me of and it just hit me...
Ray and I bought my dear MIL a pink satin quilt, the same pink as TT and it had circular pleated cushions that look exactly like those pretty pics...
She really loved that quilt...it was the only bed that her beloved Silky terrier wasn't allowed on.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 18, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9011578

Oooooohh... A giant flower on Poison...I have a bud on mine. I will be watching it
Went out and sprayed all the brugs with the buttermilk/flour mix this morning in the cool.

Just as I finished we had a very short shower ,now its as hot and steamy as yesterday ..
Getting in close to all the brugs fro the spraying, I was able to see lots of teeny buds starting..
Poison, Sister Bertrille, Mango Cornet, Clementine, Lipstick, knightii, arborea, Pink Panther, my pretty OE, and of course GHA.
Chrissy, I also found that Mrs Bucket has Y'd at last. I live in hope of buds on her too..
Naturally I will not have the loads of blooms that you all have from bushier plants but it is a start. They will grow into lovely mass bloomers.
I told them they have to or its the chop. lol..
I just hope this new spell of hot weather doesnt make all the buds fall off again

Crossing fingers and rubbing the buddhas belly.
Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9011594

girls all the plants are looking great and the Blooms are also.
Cestrum sorry about those seedlings with Bi carb hahahah
Jean you seem to have the upper hand at the moment with those dastardly bugs
Dainne you have a sharp eye for things that we all miss so keep it up

Here is a little experiment im doing (Well its a large cutting 10foot tall)
Brugmansia 'DRC'

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 18, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9011602

Shaun, thats not large...its giant.

Meant to mention in above post that I also have a bud on your little DRC cutting.

I took 2 pieces of GHA and stuck them in pots and both are budding.
Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9011608

DRC is a variety that was breed back in 1997 and in 2000 it flowered for the first time i was so happy then
I didn't know any other that looked like it other then in the Brug book which i got in German when i first could.
This is a aurea X.aurea cross [(?diggers x.yamina)not 100% sure tho] which i don't have the plants for as a friend had them and on one of his tan-ties destroyed many plants that Bastard

Jean glad to hear that the cutting is getting bud on it you will find it's a prolific flowerier and may bloom for up to 10 months
I had it flower for 3 years straight with blooms constantly on it and didn't rest the winters were a bit more mild a few years back

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 18, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9011676

Shaun, how are you going to grow the tree cutting?
I have read posts on BGI re growing them in big buckets with supports...and most times they use a bubbler, which sounds like a fishtank aerator...with the plastic tube going into the bucket...
What method will you use?

Jean, you will have a lovely display in autumn...looking forward to all your blooms...
How is Opale Etoile...I am looking forward to her 2nd flush...who knows what she will do.

This message was edited Feb 20, 2012 8:06 AM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2012
11:00 PM

Post #9011683

i have the cutting in a florists square bucket about 1/2 full of water and leaning up against the carport which will get the east morning sun
i have cut back all the leaves and it has no buds on it now
if it works ill be EXCITED and if not another experiment which went wrong

i think that the water has to travel so far i wonder if the top where the Y is will sacrifice it self to preserve the cutting as a whole

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 18, 2012
11:12 PM

Post #9011685

The ones that I saw on BGI, Shaun were about 6ft...I think that keeping the water fresh was the most important thing...will the water get heated by the morning sun...might be better to keep it somewhere shady all day...just my thoughts...good luck with it...
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2012
11:28 PM

Post #9011688

the water don't get sun in that position but the stem dose so we will see how it goes
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 18, 2012
11:48 PM

Post #9011690

Just swinging by to say that I've never taken cuttings that tall, but I did take over a dozen OA cuttings from about 3 to 5 feet tall--maybe as tall as 6 feet--which were prunings that I couldn't bring myself to throw away. (This was before I started growing them from seed.) So I just planted the freshly-pruned/sawed-off pieces into holes behind the shed--had to be deep enough to provide enough support for the brug cuttings to stand upright--watered a little initially then a little infrequently, and ended up with about a dozen rooted cuttings in a row behind the shed LOL. Since then I've dug out all but one of them--this last one is now tree-sized and now comes into flushes of flower just as the ones growing in the proper beds do.

It's got the be the roughest and readiest method of taking cuttings possible--not recommended for the precious gems--but it can work with the right material--tough brugs (OA), grey wood, warmth, and some shade and a little watering now and then. Bits of the extremities drop off as they go into shock (!) but it all regrows--and more--once they strike (can't remember how long it took, though).
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 19, 2012
12:20 AM

Post #9011692

Ah, looks like they were much smaller than I remembered! (Although part of the trunks are planted in the ground.) The shed helped keep them upright too. This was after they'd struck and had started to regrow.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 19, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9012213

I think my spraying is getting the better of the mites. Lots of old yellowing leaves being thrown off now as new growth comes out. I hope a bit of cooler weather will arrive and help with the new growth.
I have just found a Y on a tall seedling ( 6') of Mountain Treasure x Axelrose.

I think this autumn I may be lucky in seeing more than two or three flowers. I hope so as I am waiting with pollen at the ready.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 19, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9012311

That's wonderful news Jean ! Can't wait ...I am excited for you.

Some fabulous advice and discussions in this thread ...but it's time to walk this way ---------->
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243283/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America