Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Chrysanthemums where's seeds?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

February 12, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9003831

Hi friends I feel the following flowers in my hands are Chrysanthemums, the question is where I can find it's seeds so that I can start out plants from them.Do they need to dry out one the plant itself for producing seeds, or is it enough if I simply dry the flower in sun for a couple of days(after I pluck from plant) and tear apart for seeds.Or does it needs to mature into a fruit(pods) on the plant itself for collection of seeds.

I'm so confuse and moreover I don't have this plant with me, all I've got is this flower from which I want seeds for growing the same plant.

Thumbnail by burraganesh
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9003989

If you want seeds, you need to leave the flowers on the plant until the seeds have formed & ripened. At this stage of the game, the seeds haven't even started to form yet so you pulled the flowers off way too early.
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

February 12, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9004013

Thank you.Actually I purchased those flowers as an offering to God.We don't have such beautiful plant anywhere in our community.

By the way I recently sowed seeds of 'Chrysanthemum Maximum' the white flower variety.I'm waiting for them to germinate.Marigold seeds are very easy to grow(well it's an annual though).

Can you post a picture of Ripe Chrysanthemum, I am interested to know if it has fruit or just forms seeds at the calyx (Like Marigold which belongs to same family 'Asteracae')
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9004021

Plants in the same family tend to form seeds similarly--they'll be like your marigolds. I don't grow them myself so I don't have pictures--you might look through the pictures in Plant Files here or else try Google Images if you want to see pictures.
burraganesh
Hyderabad
India
(Zone 12b)

February 12, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9004034

Thanks, you always answer my questions and very helpful.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

February 18, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9011356

You can sometimes manage to get seed-heads from flowers that come as bouquets from the florist.
As ecrane has said, you need to leave the flowers to die down ON the plant stem, then the petals will fall off and after a week or so (sometimes longer) you will notice the seed-heads, leave alone till dry and feel crispy, when at that stage, take a sheet of paper and gently between finger and thumb, roll the seed-head back and forward and the seeds will fall onto the paper, some seeds in the Daisey like family have much larger seeds and the way to get them out of the seed head is gently tug apart to find the long shaped seeds, if these are to be planted, I lay them on their sided on top of the compost and cover them just in no more, lay the pot / tray of seeds into a basin of water till the soil is wet enough, this way you wont wash your seeds away if you water the seeds from the top.
Find out IF your allowed to receive seeds by post and let me know if you can and I can post you off a selection of MIXED flowering seeds IF you wish them.
Good luck. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America