Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Handyman: Dog scratches on glass doors / windows

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 5, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nele
Golden, CO

February 12, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9004006

Hello handyfolk...hope you all can help me with this! The east side of my house has a wall of floor-to-ceiling windows (6 in all, including 3 sliding glass doors) that gets strong morning sun from the eastern plains (I'm in the foothills above Denver). I've been told the glass is coated with a substance to keep sun glare down, though I really can't tell that it is.

I've got some dog scratches on these windows and doors, from my big dog going nuts at the sight of elk (which come right up to the glass to torture her :-)). I have the dog under control now, but...Is there anything I can do to get rid of the unsightly scratches? I'm not sure if it's the coating or the actual glass that's scratched. It's only one of the glass doors that is really bad. Hate the thought of replacing it just for that.

Thanks in advance!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 1, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9025730

It is probably the coating. Check with some of the local glass companies to see what they recommend - you might get different answers, so you can make an informed decision.
nele
Golden, CO

March 2, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9027720

Thanks Bubba! I'll do that...it seems like such a common issue, though, wonder why there are not more ways to fix this. Appreciate your reply.
skunkbay
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9029324

I have 7 - 4' x 8' plate glass windows that had brick mortar on them when our house was built. The clean up crew evidently dry scraped the mortar off which left lots of scratches. I complained to our builder who knocked several hundred dollars off the cost of construction and told me that compounds could be bought that would make the scratches disappear. NOT. I should have demanded that all the windows be replaced before we moved in, but things came up and I didn't do that. Now we'll be selling the house and those scratched windows will surely cause concern for any buyer. Does anyone know if there really is a compound that will make the scratches disappear? I've pretty much accepted that fact that I'll have to replace all these windows before the house goes on the market, but would like to avoid this cost if possible.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9039557

Tried jeweler's rouge?
nele
Golden, CO

March 14, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9042121

Skunkbay, I have the same problem! I'll probably end up replacing the most badly scratched panel (which happens to be a sliding glass door) before I put my house on the market in a couple of years.

Although...having said that, when I viewed this house before purchase, there were many scratches on the glass from the previous owner's 3 dogs - which I did NOT notice until after I purchased it and moved in. Given, her dogs were small and the scratches were low on the window. But my point is, if the rest of the house sparkles, prospective owners might discount or perhaps not even notice what to the owner is a glaring flaw. So don't give up hope...maybe pick the worst spot and replace it, like I'll probably do.

Postmandug, I'm gonna try the jeweler's rouge...thanks for the suggestion!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America