Daily Bird Pics Vol. 432

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Hope you'll share your favorite shots of the day. Lots of great shots posted on the last thread, so if you missed it go to: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1240846/.

I'm starting with the Juicy Fruit Gang -- House Finches. I'll try to arrange them like the stripes in a stick of Juicy Fruit gum!

Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Here are a few more from the backyard. A pair of Carolina Wrens made a big messy nest in a pot hanging on the side of the house and then they disappeared. Last one is a Goldfinch in the Sweet Olive.

Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Last but not least, a few more from my birding trip to Brazoria County yesterday -- A White-tailed Hawk, a Snowy Plover, A Green Heron, and a couple of Golden-crowned Kinglets.

Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Wonderful start to a new thread Elphaba. The Juicy Fruit Gang is sooooooo much prettier and friendlier looking than the Skunk Hollow Gang. LOL

Wish the Wrens would nest here. They are zipping around, hope they nest somewhere this year.

All are great shots, but really like the Green Heron. So nice to see flowers blooming where you are. Cold as heck here.

Caught this little Titmouse "hiding" in the Mock Orange Shrubs.

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Beautiful Elphaba!!

GG...I have to let you know that your starling shots on the last thread are so good! You really picked up their colors nicely!!

Thanks Nanny. Not Pileateds, but I am happy with anything that stops by.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Quote from nanny_56 :
Beautiful Elphaba!!

GG...I have to let you know that your starling shots on the last thread are so good! You really picked up their colors nicely!!

I second that, great job, GG.

Nanny, love that Pileated WP of your. He has a great tree to hang on to, to get to the suet.

Elphaba, you have a great variety of birds, most I don't see here. Very nice! Thanks for opening a new thread.

Pelle, Duc, Margaret. lovely photos.

I don't have much to share, but I do check in everyday.

PERTH, Australia

Beautiful finish to the old thread, Elphaba, and a great start to the new one. What an amazing variety of birds.

GG, from the previous thread, your comments attached to the Starling shots had me splutter my coffee. So funny.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Nice to see your Golden-crowned Kinglets, Elphalba. There were tons here last winter, but I haven't seen many this year. We actually had sleet/snow a bit here tonight, but it is warming to just above freezing, so it won't stick. Here are a few recent pics: Loggerhead Shrike, Pine Warbler and American Goldfinch.

Thumbnail by thebestmissy Thumbnail by thebestmissy Thumbnail by thebestmissy
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Granny, I love that titmouse with the picturesque little snow flakes!
BestMissy, nice shots! I really like that Pine Warbler pic. I heard talk of sleet on the news and was just shocked, but I guess it's just February.
Still, that Green Heron was the first one of the year in Brazoria County and I recorded a Least Bittern calling in Harris County last week, so some of the birds are starting to head north -- spring is comin'!

Here are a couple of feeder shots starting with a Red-bellied Woodpecker and an American Goldfinch.
I've been trying to get a good Pine Warbler shot but there always seems to be something in front of his face. Took this shot anyway and discovered that some animal has tried so hard to get at the suet that it actually bent the wire cage! or maybe something heavy fell on it? Maybe I should be out there right now with the flashlight, or maybe not!

Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba

A Blue Jay enjoying some corn.

Flicker checking out its surroundings.

My buddy, Mockers.

Carolina Wren at its favorite place.

Cardinal and Finch.

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt
PERTH, Australia

Nice shots, Missy, Elphaba and GG. Good to see Mockers is still entertaining you, GG.

I finally located the Nankeen Night Heron this afternoon and took just a few shots. In the last photo, the yellow background is one of the boats belonging to the yacht club. Just as the sun was going down, I saw another two, including the juvenile in the third shot. It was being harassed by two ravens.

Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

The White-faced Heron in the 1st shot came and landed quite close to me. It was completely unafraid and I actually thought it was going to come over and say hello. The second shot is of a Pacific Black Duck flying in and finally, the Nankeen Night Heron.

Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK

Thanks folks for the nice comments.

Elphaba, probably NOT a good idea to go outside with the flashlight!!

Margaret, those shots are fantastic. So sharp and clear you can count the feathers!! The Nankeen Night Heron is beautiful. Love the look the White-faced Heron is giving you. Probably trying to figure out what it was that he was seeing. LOL

Marlton, NJ

Great start Elphaba!

Wonderful shots by everyone!

Margaret, Love that Nankeen Night Heron!

Lakeview, OH

I know these are not bird pics, but these guys are so persistent, I just had to show you that they don't give up easily.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905 Thumbnail by teddy_8905 Thumbnail by teddy_8905
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Elphaba, thank you for the juicy new start. So many great birds! Love the white-tailed hawk and the feeder shots!

Granny, sweet little titmouse in the snow. Love that jay and flicker too.

BestMissy, love the shrike, warbler and goldfinches.

Margaret, love the nankeen heron photos and that close shot of the white-faced is adorable.

I found western bluebird, a female house finch, my one slate-colored junco and a ruby-crowned kinglet.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln

Teddy the squirrels are persistent, but make good photo opportunities. I wish mine would return. I miss them. Nice shots of this well-fed critter.

Great shots duc.

PERTH, Australia

Nice fur-birds, teddy.

Gorgeous bird, duc. Your Kinglet looks as if it's been in for a bath.

A Silver Gull showing me what it had for breakfast.

Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK

What did he have for breakfast Margaret? Nice shots. Love the red ring around the eyes.

PERTH, Australia

He had fish & chips with wholemeal bread.

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Someone just saw a Snowy Owl in north Texas! I have a feeling that I will be taking a trip there soon!

Those heron photos are wonderful Margaret. Love your gull shots too and that breakfast actually sounds pretty good! I bet his fish were raw though -- yuck! No sushi for me.

Duc, beautiful little group! I don't know how you get those kinglet shots.

Granny, you have a nice group too. Flicker is my fav!

Oh and Happy Valentine's Day!

Quote from MargaretK :
He had fish & chips with wholemeal bread.

Sounds good, but not for breakfast!! LOL

Lakeview, OH

Everybody here has seen the round feeder that I have up, do you think it would be a bad idea to add some peanuts in it with the seed? The peanuts are still in the shell, and I was wondering if it would be more of a bother and mess than actually accomplish anything. I am wondering though, I think the Cottonwood Tree is too close to the road and the house for the Pileated Woodpecker to start coming, as you can tell from my pictures, the tree is right beside the road and I don't think that is a good attraction for him, so I will have to enjoy him from your pictures.

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

Beautiful photos everyone !

OMG....A Snowy in Texas!!! I keep looking in the fields being ever hopeful!

Sandusky, OH

Great shots everyone!! Great start to the new thread Elphaba!! Haven't been here in a while but I am on days now after working afternoon's for quite a few years. Have been visiting different places and Old Woman Creek for eagle photo's and have been meeting other birder's from around Ohio.
I see a new feature has been added..up to 5 shots on one post...very nice! Well I do have some images I would like to share with you. First a set of Bald Eagle photo's.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

I was able to capture a lil sparring amongst some juveniles...

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

A few other images...American Coot, Red-bellied Woodpecker, female Northern Cardinal, Northern Shoveler's and a Tufted Titmouse.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

Fabulous shots Burd. So clear and sharp. Wow!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

There was a Snowy Owl in Rockwall, TX, which is only about 40 minutes from me. Some people tried for it today, but did not see it. It was photographed a couple of days ago. I've been birding near my work at lunch, just in case there are more in the area. I can't believe that there is one this far south. What a journey!

Marlton, NJ

Great shots Burd!

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Margaret, keep that first photo of the gull for a contest! Love both the photos.

Burd, love your photos too. Looks like it was fun photographing the eagles-I'm happy for you.

I've been having fun taking pictures of all the finches.

First is a male house and a female purple.
A male house.
A female house.
Last is a male house.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

This mockingbird has decided most of the berries are gone so now it's playing bully and enjoying the peanut butter suet.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln

Beautiful shots duc. The Mockingbird is a twin to the one I see every morning at the crack of dawn, pecking on my bedroom window. Darned thing!!

Here are some shots from the other day.

Male House Finch.
Female Cardinals.
Mourning Dove seeking warmth.

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

OK, Burd, SOOOOO jealous of those eagle shots! Stunning! I'm sharing one that's pretty pathetic but still glad to get it.

Duc, love your series. Those finches just beg to be photographed don't they? I love the orange one. Wish I had purple finches!

Granny, gorgeous house finch shot and your female cardinal is so pretty.

I missed a call from a friend of mine who went up after the Snowy Owl today. Wish he'd called me on my cell phone! It's not a great day weather wise for finding a fantastic lifer like that one. That's what I'm telling myself anyway!

Here are a few from yesterday: Bald Eagle, Red-shouldered Hawk, Anhinga, Clay-colored Sparrow and Palm Warbler.

Great shots Elphaba. I am envious of all of you folks getting shots of Eagles! Those Anhingas are neat.

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Granny, cute photos with the corn cobs.

Elphaba, more cute photos. I love anhingas, wish they would come west.

The mourning doves are really so friendly when I walk out on the decks.

The house sparrows continue to come for food, here's a male and female.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln

Nice shots duc. The Mourning Dove congregate in large flocks in my back yard. They are so gentle. House Sparrows need to eat too. Same as my Starlings.

Tufted Titmouse (not all the same bird) at their favorite feeding spot.

White Breasted Nuthatch (two at one time).

White Breasted Nuthatch at Tuffie's feeder.

So enjoying all the photos!

Blue Jay, Carolina Wren, White-breasted Nuthatch taking off with his peanut!

Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.