AuthorContent

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9004018

Hope you'll share your favorite shots of the day. Lots of great shots posted on the last thread, so if you missed it go to: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1240846/.

I'm starting with the Juicy Fruit Gang -- House Finches. I'll try to arrange them like the stripes in a stick of Juicy Fruit gum!

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9004025

Here are a few more from the backyard. A pair of Carolina Wrens made a big messy nest in a pot hanging on the side of the house and then they disappeared. Last one is a Goldfinch in the Sweet Olive.

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 12, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9004032

Last but not least, a few more from my birding trip to Brazoria County yesterday -- A White-tailed Hawk, a Snowy Plover, A Green Heron, and a couple of Golden-crowned Kinglets.

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9004048

Wonderful start to a new thread Elphaba. The Juicy Fruit Gang is sooooooo much prettier and friendlier looking than the Skunk Hollow Gang. LOL

Wish the Wrens would nest here. They are zipping around, hope they nest somewhere this year.

All are great shots, but really like the Green Heron. So nice to see flowers blooming where you are. Cold as heck here.

Caught this little Titmouse "hiding" in the Mock Orange Shrubs.

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9004146

Beautiful Elphaba!!

GG...I have to let you know that your starling shots on the last thread are so good! You really picked up their colors nicely!!
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9004348

Thanks Nanny. Not Pileateds, but I am happy with anything that stops by.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

February 12, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9004442

nanny_56 wrote:Beautiful Elphaba!!

GG...I have to let you know that your starling shots on the last thread are so good! You really picked up their colors nicely!!

I second that, great job, GG.

Nanny, love that Pileated WP of your. He has a great tree to hang on to, to get to the suet.

Elphaba, you have a great variety of birds, most I don't see here. Very nice! Thanks for opening a new thread.

Pelle, Duc, Margaret. lovely photos.

I don't have much to share, but I do check in everyday.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 12, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9004489

Beautiful finish to the old thread, Elphaba, and a great start to the new one. What an amazing variety of birds.

GG, from the previous thread, your comments attached to the Starling shots had me splutter my coffee. So funny.
thebestmissy
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 12, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9004687

Nice to see your Golden-crowned Kinglets, Elphalba. There were tons here last winter, but I haven't seen many this year. We actually had sleet/snow a bit here tonight, but it is warming to just above freezing, so it won't stick. Here are a few recent pics: Loggerhead Shrike, Pine Warbler and American Goldfinch.

Thumbnail by thebestmissy   Thumbnail by thebestmissy   Thumbnail by thebestmissy

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2012
2:29 AM

Post #9004768

Granny, I love that titmouse with the picturesque little snow flakes!
BestMissy, nice shots! I really like that Pine Warbler pic. I heard talk of sleet on the news and was just shocked, but I guess it's just February.
Still, that Green Heron was the first one of the year in Brazoria County and I recorded a Least Bittern calling in Harris County last week, so some of the birds are starting to head north -- spring is comin'!

Here are a couple of feeder shots starting with a Red-bellied Woodpecker and an American Goldfinch.
I've been trying to get a good Pine Warbler shot but there always seems to be something in front of his face. Took this shot anyway and discovered that some animal has tried so hard to get at the suet that it actually bent the wire cage! or maybe something heavy fell on it? Maybe I should be out there right now with the flashlight, or maybe not!

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9004854

A Blue Jay enjoying some corn.

Flicker checking out its surroundings.

My buddy, Mockers.

Carolina Wren at its favorite place.

Cardinal and Finch.

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 13, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9004869

Nice shots, Missy, Elphaba and GG. Good to see Mockers is still entertaining you, GG.

I finally located the Nankeen Night Heron this afternoon and took just a few shots. In the last photo, the yellow background is one of the boats belonging to the yacht club. Just as the sun was going down, I saw another two, including the juvenile in the third shot. It was being harassed by two ravens.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 13, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9004875

The White-faced Heron in the 1st shot came and landed quite close to me. It was completely unafraid and I actually thought it was going to come over and say hello. The second shot is of a Pacific Black Duck flying in and finally, the Nankeen Night Heron.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9004942

Thanks folks for the nice comments.

Elphaba, probably NOT a good idea to go outside with the flashlight!!

Margaret, those shots are fantastic. So sharp and clear you can count the feathers!! The Nankeen Night Heron is beautiful. Love the look the White-faced Heron is giving you. Probably trying to figure out what it was that he was seeing. LOL
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

February 13, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9005021

Great start Elphaba!

Wonderful shots by everyone!

Margaret, Love that Nankeen Night Heron!
teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

February 13, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9005038

I know these are not bird pics, but these guys are so persistent, I just had to show you that they don't give up easily.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905   Thumbnail by teddy_8905   Thumbnail by teddy_8905

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9005041

Elphaba, thank you for the juicy new start. So many great birds! Love the white-tailed hawk and the feeder shots!

Granny, sweet little titmouse in the snow. Love that jay and flicker too.

BestMissy, love the shrike, warbler and goldfinches.

Margaret, love the nankeen heron photos and that close shot of the white-faced is adorable.

I found western bluebird, a female house finch, my one slate-colored junco and a ruby-crowned kinglet.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9005218

Teddy the squirrels are persistent, but make good photo opportunities. I wish mine would return. I miss them. Nice shots of this well-fed critter.

Great shots duc.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 13, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9005732

Nice fur-birds, teddy.

Gorgeous bird, duc. Your Kinglet looks as if it's been in for a bath.

A Silver Gull showing me what it had for breakfast.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9005773

What did he have for breakfast Margaret? Nice shots. Love the red ring around the eyes.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 13, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9005868

He had fish & chips with wholemeal bread.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9006028

Someone just saw a Snowy Owl in north Texas! I have a feeling that I will be taking a trip there soon!

Those heron photos are wonderful Margaret. Love your gull shots too and that breakfast actually sounds pretty good! I bet his fish were raw though -- yuck! No sushi for me.

Duc, beautiful little group! I don't know how you get those kinglet shots.

Granny, you have a nice group too. Flicker is my fav!

Oh and Happy Valentine's Day!
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9006040

MargaretK wrote:He had fish & chips with wholemeal bread.

Sounds good, but not for breakfast!! LOL

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

February 14, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9006279

Everybody here has seen the round feeder that I have up, do you think it would be a bad idea to add some peanuts in it with the seed? The peanuts are still in the shell, and I was wondering if it would be more of a bother and mess than actually accomplish anything. I am wondering though, I think the Cottonwood Tree is too close to the road and the house for the Pileated Woodpecker to start coming, as you can tell from my pictures, the tree is right beside the road and I don't think that is a good attraction for him, so I will have to enjoy him from your pictures.
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9006551

Beautiful photos everyone !

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9006718

OMG...A Snowy in Texas!!! I keep looking in the fields being ever hopeful!
Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

February 14, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9006795

Great shots everyone!! Great start to the new thread Elphaba!! Haven't been here in a while but I am on days now after working afternoon's for quite a few years. Have been visiting different places and Old Woman Creek for eagle photo's and have been meeting other birder's from around Ohio.
I see a new feature has been added..up to 5 shots on one post...very nice! Well I do have some images I would like to share with you. First a set of Bald Eagle photo's.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

February 14, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9006800

I was able to capture a lil sparring amongst some juveniles...

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

February 14, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9006805

A few other images...American Coot, Red-bellied Woodpecker, female Northern Cardinal, Northern Shoveler's and a Tufted Titmouse.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos   Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9006811

Fabulous shots Burd. So clear and sharp. Wow!
thebestmissy
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9007080

There was a Snowy Owl in Rockwall, TX, which is only about 40 minutes from me. Some people tried for it today, but did not see it. It was photographed a couple of days ago. I've been birding near my work at lunch, just in case there are more in the area. I can't believe that there is one this far south. What a journey!
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

February 15, 2012
1:46 AM

Post #9007246

Great shots Burd!
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9007522

Margaret, keep that first photo of the gull for a contest! Love both the photos.

Burd, love your photos too. Looks like it was fun photographing the eagles-I'm happy for you.

I've been having fun taking pictures of all the finches.

First is a male house and a female purple.
A male house.
A female house.
Last is a male house.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9007527

This mockingbird has decided most of the berries are gone so now it's playing bully and enjoying the peanut butter suet.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9007607

Beautiful shots duc. The Mockingbird is a twin to the one I see every morning at the crack of dawn, pecking on my bedroom window. Darned thing!!

Here are some shots from the other day.

Male House Finch.
Female Cardinals.
Mourning Dove seeking warmth.

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9007679

OK, Burd, SOOOOO jealous of those eagle shots! Stunning! I'm sharing one that's pretty pathetic but still glad to get it.

Duc, love your series. Those finches just beg to be photographed don't they? I love the orange one. Wish I had purple finches!

Granny, gorgeous house finch shot and your female cardinal is so pretty.

I missed a call from a friend of mine who went up after the Snowy Owl today. Wish he'd called me on my cell phone! It's not a great day weather wise for finding a fantastic lifer like that one. That's what I'm telling myself anyway!

Here are a few from yesterday: Bald Eagle, Red-shouldered Hawk, Anhinga, Clay-colored Sparrow and Palm Warbler.

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9007707

Great shots Elphaba. I am envious of all of you folks getting shots of Eagles! Those Anhingas are neat.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9008616

Granny, cute photos with the corn cobs.

Elphaba, more cute photos. I love anhingas, wish they would come west.

The mourning doves are really so friendly when I walk out on the decks.

The house sparrows continue to come for food, here's a male and female.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9008670

Nice shots duc. The Mourning Dove congregate in large flocks in my back yard. They are so gentle. House Sparrows need to eat too. Same as my Starlings.

Tufted Titmouse (not all the same bird) at their favorite feeding spot.

White Breasted Nuthatch (two at one time).

White Breasted Nuthatch at Tuffie's feeder.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9008693

So enjoying all the photos!

Blue Jay, Carolina Wren, White-breasted Nuthatch taking off with his peanut!

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9008742

Wow Nanny, just love that shot of the Nuthatch! Great catch.
JulieQ
Bella Vista, AR
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9008825

From west side of Tampa Bay in January. Wind was blowing pretty stiff off the water.

Thumbnail by JulieQ

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 16, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9009007

Purely accidental shot GG!!

Wow...nice one Julie!!
reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

February 16, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9009091

Haven't been here much, been busy looking at real birds instead of pics. Lots of birds in the Rio Grande Valley. Don't know where to start. Everybody loves Green Jays for sure.

Thumbnail by reddirtretiree   Thumbnail by reddirtretiree   Thumbnail by reddirtretiree

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 16, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9009502

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I just responded to everyone's photos and Safari quite unexpectedly. I can't start all over again, but wonderful shots, one and all.

I went back to the river yesterday afternoon - saw two Ospreys off in the distance playing in the air. I specifically wanted to see if I could see the Nankeen Night Heron again and sure enough, as the sun was getting lower, out he came and onto a better pole than the one he was on the other day.

I've cropped the second shot to show the nictitating membrane coming across his eye.

In the last two shots, he flew over to the jetty I was on. The lighting was at the wrong angle, but the fourth shot shows his nuchal plume. There're supposed to be two in the breeding season, but unless they're stuck together, I can only see one - I guess one could have fallen out.

The last shot, one eye is lit by the sun and the other is in shadow, and each pupil is a different size (the one in the sun being more constricted).

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 16, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9009504

Three Black Swans very purposefully swam to an area of the limestone retaining wall near the jetty. Next thing, they took it in turns to poke their heads into an opening in the wall to have a drink of the obviously fresh water that was almost seeping out.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

February 17, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9009614

Great shots everyone!

Red, Beautiful Green Jay!

Margaret, Love the Heron and Swans!

Julie, Beautiful Egret shot!

Terrific pics guys!
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2012

Post #9009624

Margaret, these shots are amazing and educational. I was wondering what that white plume was on the Nankeen Night Heron. Those Black Swans are gorgeous. How interesting, they found some fresh water coming through the wall.
reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

February 17, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9009867

Margaret, interesting that your night herons closely resemble our Black-crowned Night Herons. A shot of one with an alligator underneath.

Thumbnail by reddirtretiree

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9010063

Beautiful Margaret!!

We heard Sandhill Cranes earlier today...so they are on the move!!

I really do have an alligator thing...eeek! lol

Carolina Wren

Thumbnail by nanny_56

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9010114

Here are a few shots from yesterday.

Carolina Wren, wet Blue Jays, and a Tufted Titmouse with a snow beard.

reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

February 17, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9010256

Nice wren shots. I saw a Carolina this week, but could never get a clear shot of it through thick brush.

A couple of shots of a preening Blue-wing Teal taken at Santa Ana Wildlife Refuge, Pharr, TX.

Thumbnail by reddirtretiree   Thumbnail by reddirtretiree

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9010397

LOL @ the snow beard GG!! Gee, we were warm & sunny here today.

Really nice shots red!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 18, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9010779

They do look similar, don't they, red? Nice shot of the smiling 'gator. Gorgeous Teal.

Nice shots, GG. Love the moustachioed Titmouse.

From the osprey nest tree this afternoon, a Black-faced Cuckoo Shrike, which is neither Shrike nor Cuckoo.

And from a few days ago, a juvenile Nankeen Night Heron.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 18, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9010780

nanny_56 wrote:

I really do have an alligator thing...eeek! lol

and a snake thing and a spider thing and a shark thing and a ... LOL

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9011007

MargaretK wrote: a Black-faced Cuckoo Shrike, which is neither Shrike nor Cuckoo.

Nice shots Margaret. Question, if it is neither a Shrike nor Cuckoo, what is it--a Shrikoo? LOL

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

February 18, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9011049

The first picture is Rocky just took a peanut off my foot, the second is where he is trying to hide it, and the last one he just took one out of my hand, he is so gentle, I took a few out to where the bench is and had one on the seat and he climbed up and sat just beside me and took it out of my fingers. He is a sweetie and someone on here said they would like to see more pics of him, so here they are. Enjoy! I have put the bench where I can see the Irises around the iron pole, I can also lean forward or move the bench so I can see the hummingbird feeders. And sometimes the hummers fly right past us when we are sitting out! I am going to try to find some cheap chairs and place them where I can sit and watch the birds and flowers, have to be careful, unfortunately there are some people who will steal things like that, we had a umbrella in one of those octagonal tables, and someone stole the umbrella! That is pathetic! Waiting impatiently for spring!

Thumbnail by teddy_8905   Thumbnail by teddy_8905   Thumbnail by teddy_8905

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9011224

Red, Iove your alligator shot! The Teal is pretty too.

Nanny and Granny, nice ones!

Margaret, LOVE those birds of yours especially that Night Heron.

My little girl dog is yappin' at me for her dinner, so must be quick. Cooper's Hawk keeping the count down for the GBBC!

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba

thebestmissy
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9011234

I was very fortunate to be able to see the Snowy Owl this morning in Rowlett, TX. He/she sure was beautiful. The circumstances weren't ideal for photos, but I did manage to get some distinguishable pictures. Here's one.

Thumbnail by thebestmissy

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9011407

Well Missy, your picture is better than mine. Here's a somewhat local snowy that I saw today. Life List!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9011423

Thank you Margaret, and you for the bear thing! lol

WOW...Congrats Missy & Mrs Ed!!
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9011515

Nice shots everyone. Congrats. to the lucky Snowy Owl folks.

Teddy, nice shots of Rocky. He is really neat. Nice to see him again.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9011523

Missy and Mrs. Ed, I'm sooo jealous! I'm going for the Snowy tomorrow! I can hardly wait. Hope it's still there. Thanks for sharing your pics.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 18, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9011643

Congratulations to Mrs Ed and Missy for sighting the Snowy Owl. That's a feather in each of your caps.

I went down the river this morning - I was going to say early, but decided that would be stretching the truth a bit. First off, four images of a Little Pied Cormorant and then a pair of Pacific Black Ducks.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 18, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9011649

#1 Juvenile Nankeen Night Heron being chased by a Magpie Lark.
#2 Juvenile Nankeen Night Heron. They have an impressive wingspan.
#3 Nankeen Night Heron feather
#4 Black Swans swimming over to have a drink from the wall.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 18, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9011652

Then, a bird I have been trying to locate for ages. Not a lifer, but I haven't seen one for about three years. Sacred Kingfisher. It's scary when you see the amount of fishing tackle tangled in power lines and trees.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

February 19, 2012
1:46 AM

Post #9011700

Congrats Mrs Ed and Missy!

Margaret, I love that Little Pied Cormorant. So beautiful! Great you got to see the Kingfisher again.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9011769

That Little Pied Cormorant really posed for you. Love it. And the Black Swans are heading for another drink of fresh water. Hope you get to see the Sacred Kingfisher again. Shame it has to share its perch on a man-made mess. How wonderful to see all of the beautiful blue water in these shots. Love them all.
reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

February 19, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9012039

Missy, just sent you a Dmail, I'm in McKinney today, wouldn't mind taking a crack at that snowy.

A couple of shots from South Texas-- Golden-fronted Woodpecker and a Black-crested Titmouse.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

February 19, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9012065

Very nice ones red!
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9012222

Beautiful shots Red.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

February 19, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9012286

Congratulation Missy and Mrs-Ed. Nice one to get for a life list.
Love the little Pied Comorant and the Sacred Kingfisher, Margaret. I can understand, how that fishing line. can cause some problems, for the birds.
Red, great shots of the Golden-fronted WP and Titmouse, nice ones to see.
Cute C Wren GG and Nanny.
Elphaba, I think I saw one of those Cooper's again today, I have a lot of their favorite preys here.

Rock Pigeon take a lot of spce on the plateform feeder.
Then a Downy WP showing his sweet side.
Starling in the snow.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9012380

Nice shots Burn. That Rock Pigeon is beautiful.

A couple of Cardinals, a Mourning Dove, a male House Finch and a Gold Finch.

reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

February 19, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9012394

Thanks to Missy for the tip on the snowy. Got on texbirds and found his location, only 27 miles from me. Found the owl and got a few pics. It's in Robinson Park on Lake Hubbard in Rowlett, TX. Has been there a few days. The map on flickr is accurate. Copy and past this address to get the map if you want to chase this bird.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/reddirtpics/6905942655/" title="Snowy Owl by reddirtpics, on Flickr">

Thumbnail by reddirtretiree   Thumbnail by reddirtretiree   Thumbnail by reddirtretiree

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9012400

Alright red...Congrats to you too!
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9013398

Congrats. Red.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9013459

Here are some of my many Titmice residents.

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9013464

One more, same bird.

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

February 20, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9013496

Good job guys. Beautiful shots!
Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4a)

February 20, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9013750

I didn't have any local Snowy Owls to photograph. So, on my way to vacation in warm Arizona, I stopped in Washington, and drove to Ocean Shores. At the end of Damon Point in Ocean Shores, there are suppose to be eleven Snowy Owls. I didnít know ahead of time that it was a two mile hike to the end of the point. That is a long ways for an old man with flat feet, sore legs. It was worth the hike, I photographer at least five different Snowys yesterday. I would have gone again today but it is too dark and rainy. But, I did add the Snowys to my life list. I would still like to go to Alaskaís north slop, see them nesting on the tundra some day.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen   Thumbnail by Grasmussen   Thumbnail by Grasmussen   Thumbnail by Grasmussen   Thumbnail by Grasmussen

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9013973

Grasmussen wrote:I would still like to go to Alaskaís north slop,

Where's that big laughing-out-loud smiley!?!

Congrats on getting them!

Resin
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

February 20, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9014031

Excellent shots Gary! Congratulations!!!

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9014396

Great shots everyone! Gary, congrats! Can't believe you had to come to the lower 50 to see a Snowy!

I went and got the Snowy too! It was a 4 hour drive for me but so worth it! I went on Sunday which was a gorgeous day and birded the area as much as I could since I didn't really know where to go. Birds abounded though! If any one else goes to see the Snowy in Rowlett, that tree line as you are leaving the park area toward 30 is full of great little birds -- warblers, sparrows, bluebirds, creepers. Jeepers!

Here are some of my favs.

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9014407

Here are few birds that were in the same area as the Snowy Owl: Double-crested Cormorants, Brown Creeper, Eastern Bluebird, Pine Warbler, and Song Sparrow.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9014426

This last little group is from a really cool park that I stumbled onto by accident called Lake White Rock Park. Got my second lifer for the day there, a Bonaparte's Gull. Didn't get a very good pic of him, but did get the proof pic! The park had GREAT birds though! There were people everywhere, and the birds didn't care. I should have taken a pic of these kids on the pier in front of the pelicans in this pic. In fact, 2 Ring-billed Ducks swam right by even with about a dozen kids shouting and pointing.

White Pelicans
Bufflehead -- never been that close to one!
Fox Sparrow -- you kind of have to look for him. He was foraging in those leaves.

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9014441

Gary, had to make one more comment about your Snowy pics and that is that I love those 2 shots where you can see its feathered feet! That is so cool. Can't believe people were that close to one too. We were trying to stay back and not disturb the owl but then no one wants to be the person who scares it away so no one else can see it as we are unlikely to get more than 1 in Texas.

Red, your pics are amazing! I was going to ask when you were there and point out that I was the one in the funny hat but then I realized that a funny hat wouldn't really be a unique identifier in a group of birders!
reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

February 21, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9014514

Elphaba, I was there on Sunday afternoon. Saw a couple birding the tree line with the little birds, could have been you. My dau said the owl was on the Dallas TV stations Sunday evening. Had a friend that tried for it yesterday morning and couldn't locate it.

Had a couple of rare birds for OK yesterday on a meandering route home. Two caracaras in Bryan Co. Oklahoma and a Say's Phoebe at Tishomingo WR. Got rarity photos, but not worth posting here.

Some birds from South Texas. Hope I haven't already posted these, hard to keep track. A chachalaca, White Ibis and a nesting Common Pauraque.

I enjoyed the snowys, too, Gary. I probably should have chased some of those on the prairie in northern OK.

This message was edited Feb 21, 2012 9:53 AM

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

February 21, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9014576

Excellent pictures, all. Really impressed by the Snowy owl pics.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

February 21, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9014665

This really has been the year of the Snowy Owl!

Congrats Elphaba, wonderful shots!

Red, Love that Chachalaca!
Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4a)

February 21, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9014677

Resin wrote
Quoting: Where's that big laughing-out-loud smiley!?!

I was dead serious about birding the north slope! Barrow, Alaska is a popular birding destination. In addition to Snowy Owls nesting, four species Eiders, and artic shorebirds are a major draw. Everything is extremely expensive there because it has to be flown in, and a permit must be purchase from the Eskimo Cooperation which owns the land.
The problem is I finance my travels by operating a small plant nursery during May and June, which is the time to be birding the area.

This is a Fox Sparrow I photographed yesterday.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9014860

It was the typo 'slop' that had me LOL'ing ;-)

Hope you manage to get there!

Resin
Ladi_Burd
Norwalk, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9015782

Great photos everyone! Been busy...Have a few new birds added to my Life List..will hopefully post soon.
Keep the great photos and stories coming...loving every minute I get to spend here!
reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

February 22, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9015790

Some more pics from last week in South Texas. An OC Warbler, lots of these guys down there. A female Ladder-backed WP and a Male.

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

February 23, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9017071

I think I heard somewhere that Robins were a sign of spring, well I went strolling around the neighborhood and saw these two guys. Also my hubby put out a apple and is trying to entice a cedar waxwing to come to it. I am really surprised that it is still there, I thought sure a squirrel or a raccoon would try to take off with it, but it is still there.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905   Thumbnail by teddy_8905

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

February 23, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9017265

Some robins stay for the winter. Sign of silliness?
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9017313

Sorry, I got behind and missed so many beautiful photos. Well done everyone. I had surgery on my hand and it's hard to type, plus I'm trying my best to keep the house sparrows from nesting in our 6 houses but it's taking all day everyday to chase them off and clean out the houses they do get in. My poor tree swallows keep coming to pick their houses but are getting chased off.

Here's some of my adorable tree swallows.

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9017323

A male and a female Nuttall's woodpeckers have started coming up to our peanut butter logs on our deck.

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9017342

Here's a Bewick;s Wren and a Brewer's Blackbird showing off for a female-must be the start of spring here.
Also, during the Backyard Bird Count, I was happy to count these two Bald Eagles on two of the days.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2012 10:22 PM

reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

February 23, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9017404

Nice pics and birds, duc. Hope your hand heals quickly.

A preening pintail.

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9017530

Wonderful shots folks. Hope your hand heals quickly duc.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

February 23, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9017684

Lovely pictures--+ hopeful healing.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

February 23, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9017709

Congratulations to everyone that got to see the Snowy Owl. amazing shots of it too!
Duc, hope everything is going well with your hand, take good care of it.
Lovely pictures everyone.

Thumbnail by burn_2007         

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2012

Post #9018032

Love that Dee, Burn.
dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9018056

Another beautiful thread with some great pics...thanks for the start Elphaba! I am very envious of the variety of birds you have in your area...must visit someday.

Duc...hope your hand heals quickly but it seems to be working very well!

Like most of the country we are having spring-like weather. The Turkey Vultures, Robins and Kildeer have returned and I am hoping that spring is here.
reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

February 24, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9018090

How about this treat. The rare Walmart Warbler.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

February 24, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9018107

Great shots guys!

Duc, Hope you heal quickly. Love your shots.

Red, Good ones of the Northern Pintail. Their my favorite NA duck.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9018136

Hi all, thank Elphy for such a colorful new thread. It's most interesting with a wide variety of birds. Too many to mention each and everyone, so let's me say thanks to each and everyone for the wonderful job! Welcome back to Burd from a long absence.

I was delighted to have added this cutie into my 'lifer' list. The Brown Creeper on Feb. 22nd.

Red, Walmart Warbler?

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4a)

February 24, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9018228

A few shots I took at the Water Ranch yesterday, in Gilbert, AZ. A Neotropic Cormorant, a Peach-faced Lovebird, and a Verdin. Nice to go from three feet of snow on the ground to 78 degrees F.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen   Thumbnail by Grasmussen   Thumbnail by Grasmussen

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9018250

On vacation Gary? Great shots! Oh I can imagine going from 3 feet of snow to the desert warmth. I'm rubbing it in for those that still experiencing winter else where -- it's almost spring here, my Blue bird says so. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

February 24, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9018259

Mine too, Lily. He sat on the fence, guarding both nest boxes for most of the morning.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9018281

Dave, papa Blue is so so bright looking this morning! Here is my gal, she's soo sooo sweet.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

February 24, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9018296

Yes, there were house sparrows in the vicinity and he was really guarding this nest box. Here he is as he exited the box. You may not be able to see it, but he has a tiny piece of grass in his beak. This recent warm weather has to him thinking of nesting, but I suspect she knows it's still too early.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave   Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave   Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave

2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

February 24, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9018311

Here is my female, sitting, and then as she flies.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave   Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

February 24, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9018499

Guess there is still hope for Spring. I see some, are already seeing leaves, and migrating birds in their yard. :) The Goldfinch are showing a little bit of yellow.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

February 24, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9018508

The Goldfinch pic was rejected as not being a JPG. But the info of the pic says it is. Anyone else had this happen?
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9018578

Red, great shots of the pintails.

Lily, cute little creeper. Your buds are larger than ours-hope this isn't a false spring. I have daffodils in bloom.

Gary, love the cormorant and verdin.

Dave beautiful shots of the bbs.

I'm still contending with the HOSP, but my tree swallows don't seem too worried. They're not ready to bring nesting into the houses but will fly up and cover the holes on the houses.

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9018579

Then there's the daily visits from the Red-tailed and Sharp-shinned Hawks.

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9018583

The crow are trying to help by diving at the hawks.

Got this bewick's wren this morning.

2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

February 24, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9018595

Nice shots duc. Especially liked the Bewick's. Hope your hand is continuing to mend.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

February 24, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9018617

Beautiful, Duc.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

February 24, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9018696

Great job duc! Love the wren and tree swallows.

Wonderful shots Gary, Lily, Dave and burn!
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9019251

I've been watching this bird for awhile, and finally got an opportunity for some photos--they are taken in bad light, through door glass, and during a snow storm, but because this is such an unusual bird I decided to post.

Thumbnail by BCH521

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9019254

Sorry, forgot to identify it: partial albino northern cardinal

Thumbnail by BCH521

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9019256

another--as I am having trouble posting more then 1 at a time

Thumbnail by BCH521

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9019263

trying 2 at a time

Thumbnail by BCH521   Thumbnail by BCH521

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9019268

What's a neat partially albina Cardinal BCH, welcome to our forum. Duc, love to see those Tree Swallows, I've noticed a couple "swallow" like flying in our area. I hope that signal spring is near.

Here I've a couple of Pekin Ducks.

Oh, BCH. If I were to want to post multiple pics. I'd have to crop the pix first to reduce the sizes before the system will accept them.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

reddirtretiree
Norman, OK

February 25, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9019310

Neat cardinal. I saw a sighting of an albino in an OKC park on okbirds awhile back. Had 4 Greater Scaup, 6 ringnecks, 3 mallards and a pintail on the pond this a.m. Also a GB Heron and 3 kildeer. Have some fairly close pics of the scaup in the camera, I'll post when processed.

A pic of a Sandhill Crane from a recent visit to the OKC Zoo.

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9019407

BCH, cute cardinal.

Lily, nice shot of your pekins.

Red, that crane is a beauty.

Thank you all for your well wishes. Here's one of my mourning doves and a house finch.

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9019409

Here's a couple golden-crowned sparrows.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

February 25, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9019495

Neat shots everyone!!!

Later on 2dCousinDave will be starting the new thread.
2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

February 25, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9019654

Daily pics., Vol. 433 has been launched and can be found here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1244091/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America