Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Voting Booth: Do you feed wildlife or garden for wildlife?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 32, Views: 311
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
admin

(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9005159

There are a total of 129 votes:

I feed the wild birds.
(31 votes, 24%)
Red dot

I choose plants to attract wildlife, insects and/or birds.
(23 votes, 17%)
Red dot

I only feed hummingbirds.
(5 votes, 3%)
Red dot

I have a variety of wildlife that I feed. (like what?)
(9 votes, 6%)
Red dot

I don't feed wildlife, but they eat my gardens anyway!
(6 votes, 4%)
Red dot

I garden for butterflies...do they count?
(5 votes, 3%)
Red dot

More than one of the above. (tell us!)
(44 votes, 34%)
Red dot

I don't feed birds or wildlife.
(6 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9005186

I feed the wild birds. ~ Yes

I choose plants to attract wildlife, insects and/or birds. ~ Yes
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9005200

I grow flowering plants and host plants to attract birds, bees, moths, and butterflies. I also put out a variety seed and feed for the birds, coons, deer, fox etc wildlife that visit my property
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9005320

Yes to feeding and providing water for the birds year around.

Yes to feeding the hummingbirds.

Yes to providing mineral blocks for the deer/raccoons/possums/skunks/crows... etc.

Yes to planting things that will attract the birds/butterflies.

We love to encourage and observe wildlife including birds.

They don't bother my garden area as it is inside a fence.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9005323

I grow plants that feed birds, butterflies, honeybees and my compost heap has off and on fed its share of possums and a few field mice when I forget and put popcorn in the pile. The squirrels take whatever they want and ruin the peaches they can. The mockingbirds ate my tomatoes until I bought a rubber snake to guard my tomatoes. I also make sure I have both nectar sources for the adults and catapillar food for the butterflies. I dont buy bird seed because in our climate and in my locale, there is usually plenty of living food sources available.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9005610

Here in the middle of the woods, we enjoy feeding all the critters. They repay us by eating/digging up our annuals. LOL
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 13, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9005630

I feed birds and hummers in my yard. I try to plan my perennial beds with bees/butterlies in mind. Also slowly trying to establish a natural wildlife habitat down at our pond. So a bit of many.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

February 13, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9005633

Yes to everything - as many DGers know already. I feed pretty much any and every living thing that comes my way, every creature listed in the poll plus 2 formerly feral cats I've since adopted, a family of wild raccoons, a couple of opossums, birds, hummingbirds, butterflies, you name it. I even feed a turtle now and again and a bunny, all wild. I plant food specifically to attract and feed birds and wildlife. My backyard cottage garden produces numerous fruits, nuts, and berries, such as black berries, various crapapples raging from tiny 1/2in ones to some larger than a quarter, rose hips, crapapple like fruits born on camellias, and so on. They also eat most of the fruits and berries I grow for myself, things like grapes, blueberries, and peaches. I also buy food for them.

I feed the raccoons left-overs when I clean out the fridge or freezer. I would rather share uneaten food with wildlife than send it to the landfill. I buy inexpensive cat/dog food for them. Sometimes I also buy them treats like peanuts, grapes, eggs, cookies, frosting, etc. Oh, and marshmallows. I save them the last few inches of watermelon along with the juice, all of which they love. (I love watermelon, too, and often buy 1 or 2 per week in season, so they get lots of watermelon.) In summer they often sit on the mat at the back door (a French, glass door), often even leaning against the door, waiting in hopes that I will bring them a treat. They have never shown the slightest aggression, and in 7 yrs have never damaged my home. (Here's hoping that continues.)
IlovemyTiger
Irving, TX

February 13, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9005660

I feed and choose plants for butterflies, birds, wildlife, insects, everything. But the squirels, they keep getting my darn fruit. Haven't had a single peach or kumquat yet.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9005669

I pretty much do it all. The coons, birds, oppossums and squirrels eat the cat food and bird feed. I have never seen birds as plump as ours or with feathers that shine so much. I thank the people who invented Meow Mix. LOL.

I also plant for butterflies and other insects and ask the bees and wasps to fly away when I get near them so I don't get stung. lol.

If it's alive and breathing it most likely eats something in my yard. lol

MrsLidwell
Cresson, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2012
1:35 AM

Post #9005958

I started putting out a bird feeder last year to feed the wild birds.

I don't necessarily garden to attract wild animals, however, the squirrels, chipmonks, rabbits and ground moles seemed to have enjoyed my garden more than my family was able to last year LOL! Been searching for a way to keep the critters out of my veggie garden for the upcoming growing season, preferrably "natural" ways of repelling them as opposed to using chemicals.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 14, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9006076

We seem to run the neighborhood Critter Diner...if it shows up here...it eats.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9006352

I feed wild birds and humming birds on purpose.

Frogs and toads lay their eggs in our pond. Their tadpoles turn into more frogs and toads that hop into our neighbors' yard because they have shade and we don't!

The squirrels, tortoises, voles, raccoons, opossums, and rabbits are uninvited guests, on which the snakes and owls are welcome to dine. LOL

At least the deer and coyotes have stayed on their side of the fence so far!

Dyegirl
Redfield, NY

February 14, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9006375

I feed pretty much any bird, butterfly, animal and more that wants to join the "PARTY" at my place. I have many seed feeders, platforms, houses, and extensive perennial flowers for them to choose from. I add new shrubs and flowers each year to attract nature. My Mom lives with us and she is 84. She loves to swing on her swing outside, or sit on a bench and read; surrounded by birds and flowers. We FINALLY persuaded the Baltimore Orioles to come to my feeder for them, and watched them raise their family this past summer.

This year's seed and plant order is going to break my bank account!
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9006613

I feed sunflower seeds and suet in the winter and hummingbirds in the summer. I quit feeding the mixture of seeds as I was afraid I might be helping to cause scatter cane out in the farm fields around me.

Roly0217

Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 14, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9006939

Well I do a bit of everything. I feed wildbirds. Have some collared doves that come every morning. We even named them and then some finches. I also have a butterfly garden with both host and nectar plants and also have hummingbird feeder up.
onfrontier
Surprise, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 14, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9007206

I too feed the birds, mostly city birds, house sparrows, house finches, morning doves and until hunting season white wing dove. On occasion Gambil Quail will come into our yard. Along with the regular visitors, we will get cactus wrens, thrashers and towhees and a daily visit from our local red-tailed hawk. We also get the occasional pigeon which I manage to keep chased off. They seem to get plenty to eat without me feeding them. Since we have a block fence around our yard, we do not get any of the larger animals, but I am sure we have plenty of field mice. For the most part the birds do not bother my garden, but they will forage for insects.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9007526

I grow plants to feed birds in all seasons and put out feeders in winter. Also, plants for butterflies.

We get house sparrows, house finches, chickadees, warblers, flickers, hairy woodpeckers, juncos, goldfinches, and the occasional redtails, sharp-shins and, more often, kestrels. A few different kinds of butterflies make quick flybys. Or is that 'butterflybys'?
fancyflea
Wharton, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9007540

I feed the birds and have plants to attract butterflies and birds.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9007903

I seem to be feeding everything these days, so a permanent fence will be going up around the veggie garden this year. Birds, beeds, butterflies, all get fed either through the feeders or from the plants I grow to attract them. I also have a small fish pond and we raise pygmy goats, so there is always spare cracked corn and feed that we put out for the deer in the woods. Wild turkeys have also been spotted in our area again and we see the occasional fox, not to mention the usual critters.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 16, 2012
3:16 AM

Post #9008476

I feed the wild birds, and grow plants to attract hummingbirds, butterflies, and beneficial insects. The squirrels and chipmunks get fed by default.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9008795

We put out food and mealworms for the birds and maintain nest boxes for bluebirds. We have a pond that feeds neighborhood ducks and geese, and this year's border will contain plants specifically to feed the birds, including some millet and sunflowers. I'd rather the deer, terrapins and raccoons leave my vegetable patch alone, but you can only do so much to keep them at bay.
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9008838

We feed the birds and I grow a lot of flowering plants that local pollinators love. I used to try to feed the hummingbirds but they were much more interested in my flowers than the feeder. Although we don't feed her, we leave lots of brush and leaf piles for our toad, who finds lots of tasty bugs in our garden.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 17, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9009642

Squirrels, rabbits, crows, racoons, deer, armadillos, possums, etc, get into my garden every year. I do NOT feed or in any way encourage them. Luciee {;^)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 17, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9009813

We have a large amount of natural feed for birds & animals. Our wild windbreak/grove covers a couple acres. Big trees, shrubs & fruit trees grow wild there.
Our market garden is partly on a hillside. So it is contour farmed. Strips of land are untouched to stop erosion. These strips are planted with alfalfa & wild flowers. Each strip has a row of trees or shrubs of some kind. There are chokecherries, cranberry, & dogwood to name a few.
On the far end of our land is a piece of sandy ground that is also planted with those things.
Bordering our market garden is a creek. That is left to grow as it pleases.

Always lots of birds around here.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9010446

I recently moved from the woods to the city. I fed all kinds of wildlife in the woods. I wasn't going to start feeding here but when I saw a pair of scrub jays in the yard I bought some feed. They are staying, I have never seen these birds in NW Washington state. They are so pretty. Also have the Stellar Jays and two gray squirrels. I now have a yard full of birds each day. Here's a bad picture of the scrub jay.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2012 5:02 PM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2012
3:31 AM

Post #9010722

We back up to woods so I have lots of critters and birds that feed here whether I choose to feed them or not. I try to coexist as much as possible and always feed the birds. I just wish some of my other critter visitors would read the sign that says, Keep Out Of The Garden!!!

:>)

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 18, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9010859

That reminds me of a sign that I saw at a business recently that said "No dogs allowed, except service dogs". It was posted at a dog's eye level. LOL
Gotta put your sign where the critters can read it easily...

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9010932

LOL ... that must be my problem ^_^
mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9012054

I love feeding the wild birds, the hummingbirds, the butterflies...the bees...seeing the life in my garden is what makes it all more than worth it!
hopflower
Santa Rosa, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9012070

The hummingbirds appreciate something to eat such as pineapple sage. I like to provide for bees and butterflies, too.
rmmachining
Alexandria, IN

February 19, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9012239

My husband and I love feeding hummers and finches. We live on a small lake and love growing flowers and feeding our hummers and finches. And our young neighbors are doing the same.
rmmachining
Alexandria, IN

February 19, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9012247

Actually we feed and garden for the wildlife. Our main flower we grow is geraniums which we keep several through the winter. We also have a 6ft geranium tree that we have had since 2005.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America