Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Lilies: Life Span Lilies

Communities > Forums > Lilies
bookmark
Forum: LiliesReplies: 117, Views: 879
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 13, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9005598

What is the life span of lilies? Specifically Oriental Lilies and Asiatic Lilies.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9006240

In my personal experience, Asiatics last for many years. I have many that are 8-9 years old.

Oriental lilies tend to be much shorter lived, with the notable exception of Casa Blanca (I have had it since 2003), Crystal Blanca, which is related to Casa Blanca, Sorbonne and Acapulco. I have acquired at least 15 that either never appeared or lasted one season. There is a thread on DG about Orientals that endure.

Trumpet lilies are bullet proof. I have every one that I acquired since 2003. They also multiply well.

I find that certain Orienpets, like Anastasia and Silk Road, are indestructible.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9006387

Thanks Donna, I have had several O. Lilies and A. Lilies over the years. Then, they don't show up. I don't miss them right away.
Maybe I should check out the other lilies you mentioned. I think I have Silk Road. I have put it in two different locations. Both were on the north side of my house. I believe my instructions were to have bright shade. They lean toward the brighter light e.g. away from the house. I am trying to find another location for them. Most of my yard is sun.
I have Casa Blanca lily. I had purchased it a couple of times and lost it. I finally found a location it likes. It bloomed for the first time last summer. The deer ate some of the blooms. I wish I knew of a way to keep them from eating the blooms.
I have been going through my sheets that come with the plant e.g. name, and instructions on planting and care.
I have some placards that I no longer have the plants. During the cold weather, I am sorting through my plant informaton, making plans as to moving some plants in better locations, organizing my garden shop, and cleaning tools, etc.
I was able to pull weeds a couple of days. They were sucking out the nutrients in the soil. I found some neat little plants coming from seed and some returning from roots as I maneuvered through the weeds. Spring will be coming soon even though, as I speak,, there is a bit of snow on our ground (our first real snow).
I have had three daffodils blooming already.
I have also done some winter sowing and more of that to do.
So much to do...so little time!
Happy Valentine's Day!!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9006438

I should also mention that I have several lilies that did not bloom for years because the rabbits kept biting them, but they hung in there. Lilium Regale was a gift from The Lily Garden that got chomped every year for at least five years. I finally protected it by putting a miniature daff near and TA!

I bought a dozen Casa Blancas in 2003 and finally got down to the last two because I moved it from a place with very sharp drainage, for which I blame myself.

I find that The Lily Garden's asiatics, like Rosepoint Lace and Ariadne, are very persistent. What's really distressing are the beautiful ones that disappear after a single year.

Here is my Regale, returned from the dead.

Corrected to say, my error. This lily is Jubileo.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 6:32 AM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9006444

It drove me nuts when Champagne didn't come back. I got it from Buggy.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9006449

Or Rococo, an orienpet that was a very expensive gift. I have learned to watch out for orienpets. Anastasia is phenomenal. It not only persists, but increases. I bought 3,and ended up with perhaps 20. Happily, it's my favorite lily.

This is Rococo.

I am in the process of taking cuttings from plants I "babysat" for other people. I have a friend who has a huge scented geranium and no place in her house to put it. It has enchanted me with its scent all winter, and then the light went on. I just took cuttings. It's seed starting time again, and I couldn't be happier.

Happy Valentine's Day to you too!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9007085

LOVE your pictures. Thanks for sharing. I am so glad you mentioned Anastacia. I have been looking at that lily to order this year and just couldn't decide. Now, I know I am ordering that one!

What are the blue flowers growing with Champagne? It's a lovely combination.

Rocco and Regale are gorgeous! I would think blue flowers would look really pretty with those lilies as well.

Which "scented" geranium do you have in your home? Maybe I should get one of those for scented pleasure during the winter months. I have a couple of Martha Washington geraniums that have never bloomed for me. This spring, I am putting them outside and not bringing them back in. There is a lot of foliage but no flowers. They don't give me that much enjoyment and places for house plants are at a premium at my house. I do have a beef steak begonia that I absolutely love. It is in a north window. When the sun shines, you can see the heavy chartruse veins in the backs of the red circular leaves. The leaves are dark green on top and red on the bottom.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 14, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9007125

birder, I'm glad that you asked the ? regarding the life span of lilies. Several years ago I planted Oriental lilies Caruso and Briancon, and have never seen either one. DonnaMack thanks for the explanation about Orientals. I can't even blame the rabbits, these two particular lilies never even put up leaves. :-(

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9007296

Gardens here are 5 years old.The lilies that dont show are usually digested by voles. Most of the varieties here have bloomed as long as they have been planted.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9007308

First, please note that the lily I called Regale is the asiatic Jubileo. I added a note above so that any reader would realize it was my error.

The blue flower with Champagne is one of my absolute favorites. It nepeta Souvenir Andre Chaudron. To me it is the best of the bluish nepetas.

Martha Washington geraniums are the fussiest, according to a book I read. I loved Gardeners Joy but I could never successfully get it through the season.

The scented geranium was a gift to a friend who had it outside but had no room in the house. It smells rather like ginger, The person who gave it to her did not have the name. I have kept it lightly watered and minimally fertilized over the winter and it has done very well. I was going to buy a bunch more and then thought - dummy - take cuttings.

Anastasia is a great choice. It makes me laugh that I paid $42 for three years ago when The Lily Garden first paid for it. But it is so wonderful and prolific that I moved some to another location and have been swapping them. This is a fabulous lily and I strongly recommend it. I planted three with grasses, and they really multiplied. Then I moved them into a bed with blue platycodons. I love blue plants, and love to blend them with lilies. The lilies in the grasses were photographed in 2007. I have never lost one! Ignore the last pic. It's a huge Silk Road stem - I clicked on the wrong photo!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Click an image for an enlarged view.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9007309

This should be the last pic. These were taken over a 5 years period. And I still have every one.

This message was edited Mar 15, 2012 7:44 AM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9007371

I just planted Chaudron last year.I am anzious to see it bloom behind some siberian iris.
A question Isnt the blue flower in your picture Platycodon?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9007397

The question was about the blue plant with lilium Champagne, which was nepeta Souvenir Andre Chaudron.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9007418

OOOpppps sorry. Just checked it out.Love the combination. That nepeta is stunning I hope mine looks like that. One never knows from the website where it was ordered from.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9007440

Love that nepeta, Donna.

Our Casablanca lilies are teenagers - no problem with them. Out of all my lilies it just took one frightfully cold winter to eliminate all "Easter lilies" in one garden. All other lilies have survived all the trials except for Crystal Star, Mojave and this beauty, Oscar (second photo).

Anastasia is incredible and so are Conca d'Or and Rio Negro for me. The scent is divine!

Asiatics here are fool proof and long lived. They were the first plants we ordered and have been here 20 years.

1. Casablanca
2. Oscar, the Oriental that did not return. So sad.
3. Rio Negro
4. Conca d'Or (huge blooms, beautiful, highly scented)
5. Asiatic lilies (just a little glimpse - there are hundreds in the area)

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9007448

Anastasia certainly deserves a post of its own.

Thumbnail by pirl

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9007450

Lovely lilies Pirl
I just remembered Tom Puce didnt come back for me but I blamed the voles.
I'm watching the Westminster Dog Show in lieu of the endless useless news about Whitney Houston.
I am normaly a cat person but must admit some faves from the Hunting group.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 10:15 AM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9007455

Thanks. I once had an entire field of Orientals that did not return but the error was ours. We left a separate zone of the irrigation system on for the night and it drowned every one of them being on for 6 hours. I loved that Tom Pouce! Too much water can kill them.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9007798

Donna: Love the picture with the allium, nicotania and Anastacia. I would have never guess that was Nepeta. Now, I want that too! I am going to do a search for that Nepeta. I have an order for some sort of Nepeta from Bluestone. I may just change it to the above mentioned Nepeta--if they sell it. Man, I guess I need to quit looking at all of these pictures. They are so gorgeous!

Pirl: How very sad to lose all those Orientals--they're not cheap! Your lilies are beautiful. Conca d'Or looks like really big blooms. It looks pale enough that it would go with a lot of complimentary flowers. Fragrance is a bonus.

I do think Asiatic lilies endure better than Orientals. Maybe the moles don't like it as well? I hadn't thought of moles, but it surely makes sense. I have seen moles around scampering quickly from one plant to another. I guess I need to find out how to get rid of them. I have heard it is difficult to get rid of them.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9007801

Happy birthday, birder!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9007802

birder! I got my Chaudron fron Bluestone .
http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/NESA.html

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 3:08 PM
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9007820

Birder,

Bluestone is where I got it. I just love it! I got Snowflake, Dawn to Dusk and Souvenir from them. They were such a great, inexpensive source. I put it in 3 places. It's a gorgeous, gorgeous plant! You should be able to find this one. Accept no substitutes!

The lily on the left in the fourth picture is Brushstoke, from The Lily Garden. The one on the right is Champagne, which was above.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9007823

Oh! Happy birthday, Birder!!!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9007824

Beautiful stand of nepetas Donna

HAPPY BIRTHDAY birder!!!

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 3:19 PM
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9007830

We both just have great taste.

And FYI - it transplants well. So you can buy the three, establish them, and move them around. Deadheading results in excellent repeat bloom.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9007842

thanks for the info Donna
One of the features of Bluestone is they give Care instructions.I often go back to the catalogue to see what the plant needs.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9007860

Careful, though. Their reviews for the new potting materials are terrible:

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/6/#b

There seem to be big problems with their eco-pots, and plants are being delivered dried out and dead. The nepeta is less of a risk because it is not one of the plants that tripled in price, as some did. I actually placed the largest order with Forest Farm that I have in years. a single Campanula Bernice for $12.95? That's what I paid for THREE not so long ago.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 2:52 PM

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 2:54 PM

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9007861

I looked earlier. I have a short wishlist and will give them the benefit of a doubt. I have always been happy with the plants. The peanut packing materil was a trial.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9007887

Aww, thanks for the birthday greetings. I posted a note on the Birthday Forum which I didn't realize was there until today! Duh! I am still learning so much about this website. Between searching the internet for all the pretty flowers that are mentioned on this website, and then straying around on the computer, I have to be careful or, I could spend a tremendous amount of time in my easy chair!
I have checked with Blue St. Per., and they still offer the pretty Souvenir d'Andre Chaudron. I am thinking about buying three of them. I have already ordered Nepeta 'Blue Wonder' and Nepeta 'Snowflake'. I notice Lazy S Farms has all of the above also. I think they sell qt. size plants. I wonder if I could divide the Nepetas from Lazy S Farms.
When you deadhead the Nepeta S. Chaudron, do you cut the blooms off, or all the way below the last blooming flower, or all the way down to the base of the plant?
I am hoping Bl. St. P. has corrected their shipping problems they have been experiencing. They are a trusted company. However, I have heard nothing but good things about Lazy S Farms.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9007943

I always deadheaded to just below the blooming flower. Lazy has great reviews. It's a Watchgdog 30. Quart sized is nice.

You will LOVE Snowflake. It is one of the earliest plants to bloom in my yard.

Mid-May, and then in June after I have cut it to the base. It just keeps coming back.
The other plant is self sown white borage Another great planst that keeps on coming.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9008060

Ohhh Yes LazySS love them.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9008347

Oh man, the Snowflake is gorgeous. I have ordered one. I think I will make it three. White Borage is cute also. Does it have "take over" tendencies?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9008532

Borage is a wild party fun loving kind of plant. You put it in once and it pops up every year, flowers and then is very gracious about being torn out by the roots when spent. I have a white bed with Madame Hardy, flanked by 2 Marie Pavie, and to give more continuous bloom I put in double feverfew, white borage, and two white Crystal Blanca lilies (a really GREAT lily, by the way, even better than its cousin casa - shorter with stronger stems).

Put in borage once, and it's there. Here it is through the seasons. When it's spent, I rip it put. Then the next spring, there it is. No effort, and season long beauty.

By the way, the rose is Iceberg. I went through several (Iceberg hates me) but you can see why I wanted to use it. A once blooming rose, flanked by two reblooming roses, with white feverfew, white borage and two white lilies - my moon garden!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9008568

Very pretty. I once had a white garden. They are quite breath taking. I am going to look into this white borage. I "think" it is easy to grow, and the rows of flowers look so dainty. It is probably one that can be easily grown from seed.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9008714

It's very easy. I put it in once and it pops up in pretty places. It's in the 40's this week so I am going to experiment by putting out some white and blue borage seeds where I would like them to grow.

One of my favorite things to do it take a plant I like, such as blue borage, and find it in white or pink. Such fun! And it makes your yard unique and a little quirky.

The blue is pretty too, and just as easy. I love blue and pink. The lilies in bud are my second bed of Anastasias, byproducts of the original three. This is a bed I moved my extras to. I love all kinds of textures and colors together. Th blue/pink/purple/white spectrum is one of my favs. The callas in the pots going to be pink, the grass is eragrostis tef (an annual) and there are tidal wave petunias grown from seed on the right.

The funny little easy to grow no maintenance plants can bring a lot of whimsey to a garden, and really fill it in later in the season.

Gonna go spread borage seeds. Thank you, Birder. I would have forgotten if it were not for you.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9008721

Yes, I agree with getting easy to grow plants in "other" colors. Why mess with difficult to grow plants when there's something out there that is cute and easy to grow?
It's going to be in the fifties today and we have part sun today.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9011781

Spring is close. Cardinals are calling mates as well as Titmice.Mourning Doves are looking at each other that must mean something!!! LOL
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9013241

Yes, ge, I believe Spring is here. Trees have big buds, I have had crocus blooming and a couple of daffodils! Even though it's chilly, the plant life is moving forward. Our birds are checking out our nesting boxes. I have noticed the purple martins are already in northern Arkansas and in S. Carolina. We have had robins almost all winter this year.

Man are we off topic!! Oh well.

Back to lilies. Lowe's is about the only place that offers lilies around here. Then, they only offer Stargazer and one other O. Lily I did not recognize. They have a "bag" of A. Lilies. I am interested in getting some more A. Lilies. I believe mine have all disappeared. I think I will have to order them.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9043440

My question would be, since the voles have eaten all the lilies that I have ever planted. Can I grow lilies in large 3 or 4 gallon pots and keep them there all year?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9043459

I have never tried it sounds possible but a lily person would know.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9043466

Better yet, put small daffodils around your lilies in the ground. I once lost about 50 lilies to the little I won't say what's. I used Volblok (Permatil) and it works very well, but small daffs made the voles abandon my lilies.

There are many people who grow lilies solely in pots. The catch is that the pots do nor have sufficient soil to keep the lilies from freezing in winter. I had to put all of my lilies in pots, since I was moving. For the winter, I took them out of the pots, put them in plastic bags with soilless mix, and put them in a small refrigerator. About the time lilies are being shipped, I will pot mine up - all 68, including some I bought from Faraway Flowers last fall.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9043468

The other thing that I have done is keep lilies in pots in a garage that is unheated but adjacent to the house. The only thing is that you will need to give them a bit of moisture over the winter, and of course change the soil in the spring.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9043512

what is it about the dafffodils? does the bulb stink?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9043537

This is the time of year I make Fall Bulb planting plans. The ground is bare of large perennials and last years bulbs are up. I mark areas where I want bulbs either to enlarge a tulip area or add mini daffs to surround the lilies.
Last fall I planted 200 daffs around lilies to protect them from voles. I needed more daffs because I have tooooo many lilies to protect. I devised his method so I can see where to plant and not plant on top of old bulbs because spring bulbs disappear in the summer. I use red knives for Daffs and spoons for tulips.
I keep notes so I can go to the appropriate area and see red under perennials,dig and plant.
These are s few of this years red knives around lily stalks where there arent any new daffs showing.

Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9043539

probably poisonus,animals are smart about things like that.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9043540

I should explain better. Daffodils are poisonous. Deer, rabbits and voles avoid them. The critters also have very strong senses of smell. So if they even smell daffs (which don't stink, but have a distinctive scent) they steer clear. I use small daffs to repell voles and rabbits. I put a couple of small ones around my lilies, and it protects them every winter. I used to lose large numbers of both.

Edited to say that I use them to protect my tulips fromm rabbits, too. It works.

This message was edited Mar 15, 2012 8:51 AM
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9043548

Then I guess these lilies are going in the bed with all the daffodils in it. That is so far the only place that they have not eaten my lilies. The only ones I have left.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9043581

I've been doing the daffodil thing with great success. But if you did want to plant lilies in a container, you could sink the container in the dirt where you want it to grow. I wouldn't plant anything vigorous in the container, as Asiatics or LAs would fill the container in no time. And you need the heavy plastic containers as the voles can get through those flimsy ones.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9043688

Ah, Marie - they were telling you something. You will really enjoy life without disappearing lilies. It made me feel completely different about my gardening.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9044097

I have been using this stuff that someone told me about. When I find a new hole i put this poison in it. Well I found a dead one today... Yeah, I am on my way of being with fewer voles...lol

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2012
1:26 AM

Post #9044566

A good vole is a dead vole.I doubt they have any other uses. Moles ear grubs,I wonder if grubs are on vole diet.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9046608

I don't think voles eat grubs--they eat plant matter.
I like the idea with the red knives. I did not realize I had lost my lilies to voles. I will use the daffodils. The only problem with daffodils (and it's really not a problem) is that they multiply. I wonder if they would eventually crowd out the lilies?
I ordered Lilium Anastasia this year. I sure hope the voles don't eat them before I can plant daffodils next fall. Any other ideas for the summer?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9046647

The daffodils work very well, and I suggest minatures, specifically WP Milner ( a division 1 tiny trumpet) that has multiplied very slowly for me, if at all. It always comes back, but I haven't particularly noticd any increase.

And you can't do better than with Anastasia - which multiplies very nicely, by the way.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9046675

Donna, I took your advice on the Anastasia! :)
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2012
12:39 AM

Post #9046938

AH...

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
2:08 AM

Post #9046952

I have had lilies here for 5 years. I learned of the daffodil and vole solution last spring when voles ate into my nice big paych of Shocking lilies.
I planted daffs last fall.I see fairie rings of daff leaves around all the lilies I planted daffs around. Now to see how the lilies fared over this winter.
I saw trails to some lilies but dont know if they were damaged or not.
I will plant daffs again this fall because I ran out of daffs last fall and many lilies didnt get treated.
Hence my redknife experiment. I have placed red knives around the lilies that werent protected and in places where I thought daffs might be needed. This way ,in fall I can see where I need to plant new daffs.
I dig a hole and plant 3 bulbs at a time.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9047011

Anastasia is so beautiful! After seeing some in a local garden I bought a dozen of them and they've been fantastic.

We don't have the vole problem...yet. I will buy a lot of tiny daffodils and get busy planting them this fall. Thanks for the tips.

Thumbnail by pirl

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9047036

At this point I believe the daffs help. The circletts around lilies dont show vole trails.Lets see what the lilies look like.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9047264

Yay, Jo! I am definitely surrounding all lilies with daffs. And how pretty they look. Big daff order this fall.

Birder, you can plant them far enough away that when both lilies and daffs multiply they won't push each other out. I don't think they would anyway, they must be equal pushers, LOL. Or like Donna said, plant the minatures.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9047285

Mineatures worked best for me.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9047288

Why do you and Donna think the minatures work best? I'm curious. I like the larger ones better, but if the minis work best, that's what I'll go with.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9047297

Its just easier for me to dig a hole that isnt too deep. I did get some "minies" that had larger bulbs. I believe they referred to the size of the bloom. Its a multibloom

This is Suada I believe it had bigger bulbs.
I plan on some bigger bulbs for fall orders. I will photo my newbies as soon as they bloom.It should be this week as they are budded.

Thumbnail by ge1836

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9047380

The main reason I looked for miniatures is that they are inconspicuous. Daffodil foliage is pretty hideous, and the sooner it fades away the better.Tiny daff, tiny foliage. WP Milner foliage disappears very quickly, so that it does not create a yellowing mass of foliage. So you don't have big strapping foliage next to the lilies.

Also, because it is a miniature trumpet, it doesn't have the cache (and the cost) of miniatures in other categories. It's quite cheap.

Make sense?

This message was edited Mar 18, 2012 12:07 PM

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9047386

I never considered the daffs past the bloom but you are absolutly right.Smaller is better.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9047392

If you are diligent about letting the foliage mature, and plant midseason daffs, as I do, you end up looking at the horrors of the foliage for many weeks. I love Mount Hood but it's midseason and the foliage is a real eyesore! It blooms at the end of April and stays in bloom for quite a while, so its rearing it's disheveled head when the early lilies are blooming.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9047398

The foliage doesn't bother me a bit. Just part of having bulbs to me. My eye is drawn up to the lilies anyway, and I tend not to notice the dying foliage on the daffs. I can appreciate you folks that don't want the dying foliage, though.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9047430

It doesn't really bother me either (Steve was teasing me about a picture in which I was showing roses but also decaying daff foliage) but I noticed that it really bugs some people, so I thought I'd take those sensibilities into consideration when recommending a daff (lest they chastise me later!)

I just think it's the price for having later ones. The yellow ones around me are all in bloom but mine won't bloom for weeks. So I always have late foliage (hence the goodnatured teasing).

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9047437

I braid my daff foliage so it doesnt crowd emerging perennials.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9047438

Ah, let them chastise you. We'll go to bat for you, LOL.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9047439

They say not to do that, Jo, as they don't get enough sun, then. But if yours are coming back fine and multiplying go for it.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9047455

Its not like I have rows and rows of the big ones.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9047750

You'll have to remedy that, LOL.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
2:24 AM

Post #9048199

HEY no enabling.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9048546

Never saw that in the rules here.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
2:02 AM

Post #9049718

Gardeners are born with the enabling gene.
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9051304

Thanks to all here. A few years ago I started to get voles - never even knew they existed (I have gardened for many years too). One day a small mouse tried to jump up inside my pant leg. We had both moles and voles. My new tulips disappeared without blooming. My older asiatic lilies disappeared slowly. So did several other types of plants - old and new. I read up on moles and voles. We added mole ultrasonic devices. I planted new AL lily bulbs in wire cages with sharp sand - what a pain to do. I had a lot of these lilies for the last 2 years, then I moved so I do not know if it still works. I did not even try new tulips this way. (I also put out mouse poison traps where other animals could not get to them - shhhhh.) (The rotten mousies or some other rodents also ate through the electrical cord on my spa.) (And squirrels ate ... - but that is another story.)

I never thought about daffodils are protectors against voles. What a great idea. I love daffodils - most of them anyway. I have lots of so called pinks, some whites, a few yellows, and some tiny yellow ones. I have lots of new lilies to plant - asiatic and oriental. I will get tulips again this fall - what a joy. And I have good reasons for getting more daffodils, especially the tiny ones. Joy, Joy, Joy.

I am moving (maybe - if sale ever goes through) to a house that never had a garden. I have many plants to move from my old house, including many daffodils. I have many new summer bulbs in bags here - could not resist. I have summer bulbs on order.

I am going to spend the next hour going over Brent and Becky's Bulbs for tiny daffs. I can get Baby Moon to grow but not increase a lot. They have some I could never get to grow (hoop ones). They say Toto is a dwarf 4-6" - but I have it and it is medium tall - maybe it was mismarked? Tete a tete is really tough - what a plant. I may use this one as the gladiator. I can depend on it. Yes - I will use tete a tete as the deterrent. I will try many of the others just because I want them. I have jonquilla something still alive but no blooms after 3 years. You guys made my day.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9051320

We should stay in touch. I just did what you are doing - moved my garden. I moved from a house to an apartment (with a huge balcony) to a house in December. I brought small shrubs, roses, perennials, and hundreds of bulbs. Think about the replacement cost of your plants! I have 68 lilies in my mini fridge - time to break them out soon. Some of them are out of commerce!

Have a look at WP Milner. It's really short and quite inexpensive. It's a Division 1 - a miniature trumpet. It keeps voles and rabbits away from tulips and lilies, and it is small and the foliage disappears quickly.

Oh, and to deter squirrels - I stumbled across it this summer. Freshly ground black pepper. Just grind it over your pots every few days. It works like magic. Now, whenever I disturb the ground to plant my treasures from home, I grind a little pepper over the plants.

You can always take your perennials. Collect pots, and when the time comes, dig them up and put them in. If necessary keep them in the garage over winter. I did all of this, and it worked. The most exciting thing has been digging up my smaller peonies, putting them in pots, and now into the ground again. The darned things take years to develop!

If you are going into fall and want your lilies, bag them up with a little peat moss and refrigerate them (but away from apples and pears and plants with ethene gas). That's what the bulb suppliers do.

I can't begin to convey the joy I feel when I see my babies in their new homes. I even took a small oakleaf hydrangea. Watching it leaf out is like watching a kitten being born.

Be bold. Your choice is to try to move it or lose it forever. You don't want to leave big holes, but you don't want to have to spend hundreds to replace the plants you nurtured.

We are in the same zone, so if you would like any information on making it work please feel fee to dmail me.

Donna
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9051363

Thanks. I will order W P Milner too, along with lots of tete a tete, some sun disc (to try), and some baby moon (because I like it).

I moved lots of plants in pots, then got them in the ground at the rental. They are getting big and must be moved soon.

Took my favorite daylilies, irises, daffodils, some roses, a few other types, even one delphinium. I did not take any peonies. Took no shrubs - figured they were too big. I have several thousands of bucks of plants from the old house - many I could never replace. I did not take the LA lily courier - too tall for me there - had to stake.

I saw new cheap boxes of plants at Walmart and bought named asiatic lilies, named and mixed oriental lilies, astilbes, named peonies, glads. Then I went on line and ordered 4 roses, more glads (one I really wanted), more asiatic lilies, phlox, ranunculus, peruvian daffodil (must have), df eryngium, some shrubs. One old alba rose was sold out everywhere, but finally found Canadian source. The plants at the rental are growing a lot - the daffodils are blooming. I will order the fruit and fancy trees when I get the house contract - if ever. And more shrubs.

I have enough lilies to have a large corner of the front yard covered in asiatic and oriental lilies. Just hope the orientals are not over powering. I planted trumpets and orientals at a previous house and the fragrance was too much for me. Never thought this would happen. So, I plan to put the orientals at the farthermost spot from the house, just in case.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9051591

Ha! did similar things. I ordered roses from Pickering and Heirloom and perennials and ferns from Forest Farm. I would have loved to have taken my lilacs and viburnums and smokebushes - and oh, my Yoshino cherry. I don't need to tell you anything - you have everything completely under control.

I'm so glad that you are not leaving them behind. I know it seems like a pain - at times I felt as though I were nuts - but it is so satisfying. I know that when you have settled you will, as I am beginning to do, beam on my babies.

Donna
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9051640

Carol: Are you ordering your daffs now?? I assume they will be sent in the fall?
I worry about the lilies I still have and the voles getting to them before I can get the daffs in the ground around the lilies.

I like the idea of the colored knives. I must remember to get some of them.
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9051748

Still waiting for the house contract - short sale. They have missed all deadlines. Last Friday they said to see them again this Friday. I was supposed to close April 2. Cannot order anything for fall until move. Will not be at current place.

I have a lot of daffodils that I can use - most are regular size. The coral pink ones will bloom before the lilies so should not clash. And the foliage will be hidden when the lilies bloom - I did not think of that.

One can get blooming daffodils at places like Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot. One could get those and use them as guardians. That is how I got tete a tete. But I have more than enough daffodils for the lilies I bought/ordered.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9053975

So, do you think I should dig up some of the daffs I have and put them close to my lilies? I am thinking I should.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9053989

If you dig daffs when they are blooming I doubt they will bloom again.
Wait untuntil the blooms are gone.Deadhead the blooms and wait until the leaves are browned and then dig.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9054026

Good idea. I have ordered some lilies and I sure don't want to loose them right away. BTW, I really like the Tete-a-Tete daffs! I'm not familiar with the W P Milner or Baby Moon but will look them up.
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9054072

I dug daffs in bloom, replanted them immediately, and they bloomed OK the next year. Just be careful. Treat them like a perennial, bulbs in the root area intact.

I have been looking at dwarf conifers for near future. After reading more about voles, I saw that they also like to eat roots of conifers, fruit trees, fancy shrubs, many perennials, etc. I bet that is why I cannot grow shasta daisys - roots kept disappearing. Sooooooo

I will plant all my current daffodils (have a lot- now blooming in rental temporary bed) and place them absolutely everywhere. I will get a jillion dwarfs and plant them with the new trees, shrubs, bulbs, etc.

(Shhhh: I also will use mouse poison, hidden as usual - when I see any evidence.) I never even considered voles to be the reason I could not keep shastas alive. I also had caryopteris shrubs disappear and did not think of voles.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9054077

I am ordering more daffs for the fall. I really loke the Baby Moons and have them,truely miny daff. I also Like the Milns and will see if I can get some. My neighbor's house is the first one on the street and she has a very long lot filled with the yellow ones. Huge clumps,must be thousands.
I would like something different. I like the Minnows for a really tiney flower
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9054355

I just dug some more from the other house but I got them in clumps, with root and dirt intact and they didn't seem to know they had been out of the ground. Mt. Hood talkes this treatment particularly well.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9054550

In talking about the life span of lilies, I planted Oriental lily Caruso in 2009, never saw this lily grow, well guess who turned up this year. I thought it had rotted in the ground. Now I'm going to have to protect it from the bunnies, I may have to move some daffs around. I'm looking forward to seeing it bloom, glad it finally turned up.

This was part of the Cottage Gardens Oohhs and Aahhs collection, which included Shocking, Belladonna, Briancon, and Caruso, that I ordered from HSN, way before I knew about DG or the lovely websites to get lilies from. This set started me on the trend to collect lilies, one of many plants to which I'm now addicted.

What does everyone use to fertilize their lilies? Annette

Thumbnail by Cem9165

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2012
2:53 AM

Post #9054829

I use Bulbtone on all bulbs including tulips etc.
I fertalize twice a year.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9054889

Good old Holland Bulb Booster. Brent and Becky recommend it. The analysis is 9-9-6, so I look for a bulb food with the same composition if I can't find it.

B&D lilies used to sell lily bulb tabs, of which I still have a few. You were to put them an inch or two from each lily. I did it mostly because they are wonderful and I wanted to support them.

And like ge, I fertilize twice a year.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9054919

I have used Bulb Boost when planting bulbs but its hard to find anymore. I looked for it on J Sheepers ( bulb food) and its not offered for shipment anymore so they are not offering it.
I cant remember where I originally bought it.
Bulb Tone works great for me.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9054933

It turns up at Ace Hardware from time to time. When I find it I grab it.

Tomato Tone and Rose Tone are great. I bet Bulb Tone is too.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9054971

Nuthin like Bulb Boost tho.I always beat myself up when I run out and cant find it in Garden Centers much less Lowes or HD
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9055326

I use Bone Meal. I don't know if that's the best, but I believe I read that is what you're suppose to do.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2012
3:01 AM

Post #9055995

Bone meal cant hurt.I use it to get clematis started and its supposed to promote root growth.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9056077

I always read that "real" bone meal can attract animals looking for the remains of a dead creature, and that they will dig up your beds? Not true?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9056112

I dont believe it. Bone ash which is a bit differentfrom bonemeal ,is made from Rabbit bones . The bones are heated to a high temp to drive off any organic matterbefore the bones are ground. I would think a commercial product like bone meal would get the same treatment or bone meal would smell bad due to dekaying organic matter.
I'm going to check this out.

I DO BELIEVE IT: Just checked the net and dogs are attracted to the meal. Its an alpurpose fertilizer used by organic gardeners.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2012 9:30 AM
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9056213

Yes, I had to scratch the bone meal in when I had a dog. She would be right there trying to get to it. I have never had neighborhood dogs bother it, however. I think it's enticing to the dog when it is first put on--then, after it's been there awhile, the dogs don't bother it. But, I do scratch it in a little bit.
I wonder what the difference is between Bulb Booster and Bonemeal. Sometimes, I think they give the same ole stuff fancy names. I will be in Lowe's today. I will check the ingredients.

When you plant your daffs near the lilies, does one have to plant the daffs all around the lilies or just near the lilies?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9056229

I planted my daffs 3 years after the lilies were in. My daffs are as far away as 2 feet in some places and as close as 6 inches in others.
Its too gloomy here to take pix today or I would photo some daffs with lilies in the middle.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9056258

Dashed out to pix. You can see why I need to mark for next years bulbs I will plant this fall.

Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9056441

Get ready to cover some of those, Jo.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9056443

I'll strip the beds and lay out queen size sheets. When is the bad stuff comming Polly?
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9056445

Looks like Tuesday night, going down to 21 here.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9056448

Dang, I wonder if the lilies under trees will be OK?
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9058539

I use my old sheets for frost covers also. They work pretty good. Our temps were mid 70's today--very nice. Our last frost date is April 10th. I am thinking we are through with freezing temps-of course, that can change real quick!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2012
2:06 AM

Post #9058698

I covered what I could.Temps went to 27* I'm glad I covered.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
2:55 AM

Post #9063966

Weather report was wrong and they didnt warn of frost. I failed to cover lilies. I think the ones under trees wer spared Thursday night. This morning there is wet snow.
Fingers crossed I will see lilies this summer. Hopeing some arent up yet.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9064250

Guess you have to plant some this spring to be sure. The old ones will survive for next year, though, even if they were frosted this year. Let them grow to get the sunshine, and cut off the mushy part on top.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9064295

There are always lilies in the pipeline.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9064654

Always.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9064672

We're having record heat here. Ugh! It's too hot & sticky to work outside except AM or PM. My brother has already planted his tomatoes and cukes.
Hope the lilies recover from the frost.
Hubby stepped on my new Penstemon cobaea now, it's broken at the base, sprayed my Purple Sensation Allium with Round Up and Drove the big wheel of the riding lawn mower over my Dutch Iris. One D. Iris bloomed that he missed. It's the first time to bloom. It's quite pretty. I did not yell-he does a lot to help also. I guess I should cut off the center stem of the Penstemon?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9065149

It froze again last night.It will be an interesting summer.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9069023

We've had a few freezes, and the lilies have double-dared me to worry. On yesterday's walk-through I was amazed to see all the new growth. The lilies in the garden are doing well, and the lilies in containers are growing but a bit smaller. I've had really good luck with lilies in containers, but you cannot neglect to give them lots of drainage. My biggest lily problem is the red lily beetle, and I've already killed one.

In addition to the lilies, some of the peonies are a foot high, and the alliums are growing like crazy.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2012
2:11 AM

Post #9069073

I have never experienced a weather system like this so emerging lilies getting frosted is a new thing.
I am just not getting my hopes up for the display I have had in the past.
I still have lilies that arent up yet so those are safe from frost for now. Our last frost date is usually mid May.Thats more than a month of occasional frosty nights.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9071394

Two days ago: 89 degrees. Today, 60 degrees! It's a lot easier to work in the yard at 60 degrees instead of 89 degrees. We're suppose to have cool weather the rest of the week. I welcome the change.
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9071837

I'm with you there! So much more pleasant.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9071914

I want to add these lilies to Starlette
Strawberry Custard and Funny Girl

Thumbnail by ge1836

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9072423

ge: Those are pretty lilies.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Lilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
lilium White Henryi lincolnitess 55 Jan 1, 2008 4:30 PM
The sickness continues... ivory 268 Oct 23, 2007 9:34 PM
Lily Germination Leftwood 8 Apr 21, 2007 7:20 PM
Fasciated Lilys menkids 108 Dec 6, 2007 2:20 PM
my Lilium seeds germinated bloomoon 10 May 8, 2008 3:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America