Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hostas: Hosta growing in February

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 14, Views: 231
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 13, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9005735

I couldn't wait so I jumped the gun and am waking some of my babies up. This is Feather Boa and it has started leafing out the most of the 50 or so hostas that I brought indoors. It is nice having some hostas to look at while it is snowing outside.

Thumbnail by franknjim
Click the image for an enlarged view.

irawon
Ottawa
Canada

February 14, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9006251

What a Beauty, Jim. I would love to see the others as they emerge. Where are you keeping them indoors, to allow them to come up so early. Do they require a lot of light?
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9006871

I do a lot of seed starting and the hosta thing in my craft room where I keep all of my crochet/yarn and sewing stuff. The hosta are under two 48" shoplights. I have a large three tiered seedling cart in there as well. I have a lot of stuff crammed into a small room. I am going to be setting up a room in the basement to start growing hosta from seed. I will be making some of my own hosta hybrids this year and need a lot more room to grow them over next winter under a bunch more lights.

Thumbnail by franknjim   Thumbnail by franknjim   Thumbnail by franknjim   Thumbnail by franknjim   Thumbnail by franknjim
Click an image for an enlarged view.

MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9017712

Your Hosta are beautiful. I have my light set-up in my craft room also. Man is it crowded.
I have had my little hosta out in the winter weather. I believe I will bring the pots in the garage where they will get lots of sunshine and a little more warmth. I started over 250 last year from seed. They certainly do not grow very fast. We will see what this year brings.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9017723

I added 11 more lights and a bit more growing space.

Thumbnail by franknjim   Thumbnail by franknjim   Thumbnail by franknjim   Thumbnail by franknjim

MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9017733

OHHHHH, VERY NICE.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 23, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9017766

What are you going to do with all those seedlings. Sell???

Bellie

This message was edited Feb 24, 2012 7:34 AM
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9017782

Just share. I gathered the seeds off my plants last year. I have many more seeds that I will start this year.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 24, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9018015

Frank,

Your seedlings are amazing!!! You must have a lot of patience!!! Will you be selling some?
Thanks,

Bellie
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9018230

The seed starting that I did this year is 99% annual flowers(about 15 flats). Most of the hostas in my pictures are tissue cultures that I bought as first year plants last year. A few weeks ago I did go out into the garden and found some hosta seeds on scapes that where still standing because I got the bright idea to start hybridizing hosta this year so I wanted to try my hand at hosta seed starting whle I was starting my annuals. I have about a dozen tiny seedlings from Clovelly and a couple from Atlantis. More than likely all will be green but it was just something to try. This coming winter I will be starting probably a thousand or more hosta seeds from my own crosses that I do this year.

I will have to do some more building and buy more lights since this past week I also decided to start growing African Violet standards to show size which will take up a lot of space. I ordered leaves from 18 varieties and have them set up to make baby plants already. I have been collecting all of the supplies that I will need for doing it all week but still have more to buy.

Thumbnail by franknjim
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 24, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9018308

Organized,patient and passionate !!!

thanks,

Bellie
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9022321

What a great setup you've got there! I wish my basement didn't have a 5'10" ceiling and a creep factor of 9 out of 10. If I had the room, I'd definitely start seeds down there. It's great to see hostas coming up when it's cold and dreary outside. :)

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 29, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9024315

Frank, I should know by now that you never do anything halfway =) Good luck with all the babies!

Kayly, LOL, my basement has a creep factor of 5 and a barely 6' ceiling after accounting for the ductwork. But I still want to add a small light setup in a year or two. Probably something like this that doesn't take up too much space:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7693091
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 29, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9024672

Eleven, this is my blog detailing what I did with my seed starting setup:

http://petiolejunction.wordpress.com/2011/03/04/build-an-indoor-seed-starting-setup/

I have mine in my office where I keep it nice and toasty warm. It'll hold up to 8 flats of 72 cells for a grand total of 576 starts, but I've never done that many of anything because when they grow beyond their little cells...I don't have a place to put them. I have an area where I could start a nice hosta nursery, but it needs a lot of clearing (downed trees, scrub brush, etc) and I really need to get someone in here with a chainsaw and a Bobcat to do it. Then maybe I'll be able to start a lot of hosta babies.

But then again, we may be considering a move over the next few months if my husband gets the new job he's up for. (And things are looking pretty promising.)
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9050605

I took all of the hosta outside today since we are having the very nice weather. I will have to keep watching the forecast so I can bring them indoors just in case the temps drop too low.

Thumbnail by franknjim   Thumbnail by franknjim   Thumbnail by franknjim   Thumbnail by franknjim   Thumbnail by franknjim

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America