Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Shan71
Danvers, MA

February 13, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9005740

Hello! I'm back after not being on here for a few years. We just bought our house from my Aunt & Uncle. They've fed birds for years, so I have an existing bird community that I am hoping to build on. Our home is the last house on a dead end street, with about 50 acres of woods next to it. We have 1/2 an acre. In the 6 months that we've lived here, we've amassed quite a yard bird list! And many photos, too! The most exciting new bird for us is the Brown Creeper that has been visiting the yard for the past 2 months. He's tough to photograph, but we got a decent pic this weekend.

#1 - Brown Creeper
#2 - House Sparrow on the wind chime
#3 - Wild Turkeys on the fence
#4 - What the BF calls Birdtopia
#5 - Male Downy WP on Suet. (Up-side Downy)

Thumbnail by Shan71   Thumbnail by Shan71   Thumbnail by Shan71   Thumbnail by Shan71   Thumbnail by Shan71
Click an image for an enlarged view.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

February 13, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9005858

Congratulations Shan! It sounds (and looks) like a great place for bird watching.
I like your pics and look forward to seeing more!
Shan71
Danvers, MA

February 14, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9006891

Thanks Pelle,
I tried to post a video of The Great Horned Owls we heard in the yard but I couldn't.

Glad to be back on and hope to have many more contributions!

Happy Valentines Day Everyone!!
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

February 14, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9006985

Hi Shan, welcome back! Congratulation on the house. Sounds like a great place. Love your turkeys, very neat. And you have a great bird station setup there. Looking forward to what you have to share.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 14, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9007059

Welcome back, Shan. Good that you've bought a house and it sounds and looks like a lovely area. Nice birds.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9008609

Congratulations on the home and added perk of birds.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9008654

Oh Shan, welcome back. I've been wondering where you were! Miss seeing the pix of birds feeding out of your hands!
Shan71
Danvers, MA

April 9, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9076247

Thank you all!

The newest sighting in our yard this weekend was a pair of Wood Ducks. Did not expect that! The male was clinging to a tree like a woodpecker. BF only got one picture of the female at the top of a tree.

Does anyone keep a calendar of when birds show up to their yards each year? I want to be prepared next year.

Thumbnail by Shan71
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 4a)

April 10, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9076913

What a wonderful yard you have. We've been feeding the birds for awhile now, but started from scratch. Congratulations on the Wood Ducks. We saw a pair early one morning, who looked like they roosted in our tree overnight. The light was poor because it was just dawning, so we did a double take because we first thought, how'd our ducks get up there? We have two Khaki Campbells (and a Pekin), but then we saw the lighter markings of Wood Ducks.

About a calendar, we don't keep one. A good idea though. We only began our life list last spring, but are using that to have an idea of when the birds should be coming here. This year we are doing our first year list and marking down in my daytime book the first of the seasons we see. This winter did throw things off a bit, as we had birds we normally would not see until spring. Robins, Red-winged Blackbirds, etc.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9076992

I don't have a calendar so much as a photo diary. I try to take a picture of the first sighting and then log it. You should probably just start a diary for your yard regardless if you find a local calendar. I like to keep a bloom guide too.

You can see local sightings here:
http://www.massaudubon.org/

and also, you can probably explore local sightings on eBird.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2012 10:11 AM
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

April 10, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9077148

I also, do the same thing, that Mrs-Ed mention, about taking photos of the first arrival.
Mima56
Thayer, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9172162

Our Missouri Department of Conservation puts out a yearly calendar of natural events:
arrival of different migratory birds
Mating of different animals
birth of different animals
blooming times of wild flowers and trees
When different fish spawn
And much more! It's amazing how accurate the dates usually are.
Plus, the pictures are beautiful! I give the calendars as Christmas presents.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America