Lady banks roses

Corning, CA(Zone 9b)

CLOSED have a wonderful Lady banks rose bush, that has done so well for me for the last few years. I would like to propagate it for a friend and am not sure what to do. Can someone lead the way for me? thanks ahead of time. Joyceg41

This message was edited Feb 20, 2012 10:05 PM

Richmond, TX

Ooops, duplicate post!

This message was edited Feb 13, 2012 10:42 PM

Richmond, TX

Another!

Last one, below, is real.

This message was edited Feb 13, 2012 10:45 PM

Richmond, TX

I have heard that they are one of the harder roses to root. ( Not helpful, I'm afraid.)

I think I would try notching the bark at a node toward an end of a cane, dusting with rooting hormone, and pegging it to the ground to see if it will put out roots. Then you can cut it free when it does.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I managed to root a couple of them by cutting a cane at a bud eye and then making shorter cuttings (about 3-4 inchesl long) and then putting them in soil to where at least one of the bud eyes are under the soil..I also scratch it at the bottom n the other side of the bud...Good luck!

This message was edited Feb 15, 2012 2:37 PM

Richmond, TX

I'd pay attention to Melva's advice; she knows what she's doing.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

As evidenced by the many baby roses I am surrounded by....some of them elude me...I must have started 25 or more of the Lady Banks...and just 2 of them decided to root...I think you have to speak sweetly to them. (I have a friend who says you have to hold your mouth just right)
How are your roses doing? I will be ready to send the others soon.

Richmond, TX

Hi Melva. I lost three of the babies. Unfortunately I don't know which as they were among the de-potted ones with labels at large; the rest are thriving!

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I have some to send you in a couple of months
Darlows Enigma
Autumn Delight
Crocus Rose
Blush Noisette
Jean de Arc

I haven't been able to root Jean Bach Sisley although I have managed to do it before...

Richmond, TX

Great group! I'm looking forward to their arrival.

Corning, CA(Zone 9b)

thx you both for your advice. joyce

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

You are very welcome..

Corning, CA(Zone 9b)

thanks and we can now close this thread. joyce

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.