Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tropical Zone Gardening: Physalis species?

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
suzanne_cook
victoria
Canada

February 13, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9005881

Found growing in someone's garden in the rain forest of Chiapas, Mx. Mature fruit is small, less than 2 cm, yellow, sweet, and sort of insipid. Physalis maxima is found in the region, but it doesn't seem to resemble the plant in this photo. Note the trifoliate leaves, margin not dentate. Does anyone recognize this plant, or willing to hazard a guess?

Thumbnail by suzanne_cook
Click the image for an enlarged view.

NorthernOasis
Mississauga, ON
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9092958

Possibly a variety of physalis peruviana - goldenberry, Cape gooseberry. There are lots of physalis cultivars out there, and it can be difficult to identify. The photo looks a lot like the larger "tomatillo" fruit, but your description indicates a small sweet fruit. Here is a link to physalis names I found on the web. I hope it's ok to post the link. I grew tomatillo here in Mississauga, Ontario - the plants got to be 6 feet tall and somewhat gangly,like in the photo. They had yellow flowers and fruit was anwhere from 1-2", both green and purple skinned varieties. The ground cherry and goldenberry plants were smaller (to 2 feet) shrubs. The hardier groundcherries (such as Aunt Molley) fruit ripened, but the physalis peruviana never ripened. Seems they need a longer growing period than what we can offer here, Zone 5B.

Here's the link:
http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Physalis.html
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 24, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9137118

It looks just like the goldenberries I am growing here. Got the seeds from JLHudson. The plants are up to about four feet tall here and have produced some fruit which is auite tasty, a bit like a gooseberry.

kb
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 25, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9138145

At http://www.sunfood.com they sell a half pound of dried goldenberries for $13.95. kb

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America