Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: WSing Monarda - Any success stories?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 18, Views: 146
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9007671

I tried Winter Sowing some Marshall's Delight Monarda a couple of years ago and had no sprouts. Of course, the seeds could have been sterile, planted too deep - I lightly covered them, too old,etc. I received them from a trader and had no reason to think they would send me old seeds. I know that some seeds, such as pansy seed and delphs need to be fresh to germinate.

So, have you been able to get plants from WS your Monarda seeds, and if so, which ones, and did you do anything special when planting them?

I have more seeds received in a seed robin and I would really like these to grow this time! Thanks,
Linda

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 15, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9007737

Hi there Linda! :) I have never WS'd Bee Balm myself before, but considering that it is native to the US, from New York all the way down to Georgia and out as far as Michigan, I'd guess that it should indeed Winter sow, and you sure can start some with seed, (though the most common forms of propagation are either root or hard-wood cuttings). The seeds certainly should produce something for you, so all I can think of is maybe that first batch was perhaps too old, maybe? (oh yeah, they are ok for a couple-a-few years, they don't *need* to be fresh) Or, maybe the soil conditions weren't just precisely so for 'em? I know they like to grow in organically-rich soil and don't like to dry out at all, and they really like the sun.
I hope this helps you, and I would definitely say "Go For It" with your new batch of seeds!
Good Luck! =)

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 21, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9014429

I've WS'd seeds from my monarda successfully. They were even a couple of years old. Be forewarned, the special varieties like Blue Stocking or Jacob Cline may or may not come true; I believe Marshall's Delight will, though. I planted a mix of reds and purples and got a mix of reds and purples, so it worked out well.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9014736

Thank you for that info Celene, I'll be sure to add those varieties to my "must collect these seeds at work" list.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9015206

Soooooo, where do you work speedie?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2012
3:46 AM

Post #9015493

Hiya! I work at a local small family-owned nursery and garden center here in Maryland. It's called Longwood Nursery, but years back its name was Longwood Gardens... and then came the troubles with the name. It being the same name as the one in Pennsylvania, we were told we had to change our name for legal reasons, so now we are Longwood Nursery. A big leap, huh? =)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9015653

Happens all the time. Name is important, especially in the commercial world.
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9016275

Thank you for giving me hope, Celene. I have Blue Stocking and have had it for some time. I've never seen a single volunteer seedling from it though. That gave me pause, and I was wondering if perhaps it was not possible to grow Monarda from saved seed. Many of the plants that are easily WS'd are ones that produce volunteers in my yard on a regular basis - lavender, guara,coneflowers - Big Sky series with the exception of Sunrise, Siberian Blues Dianthus are some that have given me volunteers each spring. I'm going to go ahead and plant the Monarda seeds I have and see what comes up!

Linda

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9029295

jacob Cline does not set seeds. I have it, someone send me some transplants.

I have a lot of Bee Balm -- have grown Marshall's Delight from seed.

some plants i;ve purchased, and have not checked for seeds -- so i dont know if they set them or not.

i think i have about 7 varieties, or 8, but only grown 4 by seed... honestly - i'd have to check my records.

BUT -- Bee Balm is pretty easy to WS.
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9029996

Thank you, tcs, for your response. I had Raspberry Wine Monarda but it did not produce seeds. I thought that was strange considering how many seeds that my Blue Stocking has produced through the years. I received the original Blue Stocking plant in a trade, so have never tried to start any of the seeds I harvest from it. The Raspberry Wine Monarda was also received in a trade. However, it became so invasive that I've been removing it and giving it away as it tries to re-establish itself. It also is a powdery mildew magnet here.

Linda

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9030026

I'm finding the only one that is 'pushing the envelope' on invasive is Wild Bergamot... thankfully i like it.

I bought 2 or 3 last year... i will have to check for seeds at the end of this season.

so far, the only one i think that does not produce seeds for me is Jacob Cline. But there are two others that I have not had time to check.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2012
3:11 AM

Post #9060023

I'm confused as usual..aren't the seeds in the dried up bloom? My raspberry wine monarda has spread profusely..some of the little leaves, I will try to transplant and give away at plant swap or friends. This plant was given to me by Pennefeather and it was beautiful last year and I expect it will be the same this year. I did WS some seeds but they haven't germinated any sprouts yet, neither have my BES seeds that came from my own plants, knowing BES, it will come through the mulch and grow.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 28, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9060098

"BES" took me way too long to figure out, lol. Is the wild bergamot M. fistulosa?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9060128

yes, Wild Bergamot is M. fistulosa

It definitely spreads by fallen seed... i have it everywhere -- thankfully i love the plant.

I have found that some spread by "runners"

I have some new ones on the side of my house, that are spreading that way.
I will have to go write down the names.

my Purple Rooster is small, and does not look like it spread like the others.

the bigger one, i think has "Prairie" in the name, and i believe it's purplish blooms.

I found my Pink Lace in Wisc last weekend, it's coming up nicely too.
There was one flower bed that i did not get a chance to check -- I put monarda there too.

Last June, when we were at our Upper Midwest RU, we go to this sort of local nursery... i stumbled upon a HUGE pot, totally outgrown gallon pot of a monarda [again - i'll have to look up the name... prairie something ] I was able to divide it into 4 separate plants... that's how HUGE it was.

On all my new ones, I'll be checking for seeds in the Fall.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9060292

it's Prairie Night.

I'm supposed to have Marshall's Delight too. But i can not recall where i put it.
It was another one I grew by seed.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 28, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9061017

I have Marshall's Delight, because it's my husband's name :)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9061046

I think I found mine. there is no tag, but i recall planting one in a particular area, and that is only one monarda.
So i will try to watch it this year to see the color.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 28, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9061218

It should be a rosy pink.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9061230

LOL... most of mine are.

the past few yrs, I have not been home when they are in bloom.
so that is probably why I had forgotten about this one... i get home and the blooms are spent.

But i recall when i grew it, i specifically put it where I did not have any other monarda... so it has to be it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America