-
AuthorContent
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9008376

How do I move my Koi from my pond to my new pond 8 hours away,and 500 miles?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9008731

Stop feeding them 2 days in advance, you don't want excessive ammonia in the water. There's a sedative called finquel, you can order if off ebay, that slows down their breathing for travel. They pull out of it as soon as you put them in fresh oxygenated water. There's also a water additive called Bag Buddies that conditions the bagged water for travel. I use the large koi shipping bags (available online) and put only enough water in it to cover their back dorsal fin. I "have" used large tubbies in the past, but depending on your driving skills, they can get a bit sloppy.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

February 16, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9009240

I was wondering if I could put them in a 20 gallon tub,and maybe fine a battery operated pump for oxygen.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 16, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9009421

They do make battery operated air pumps...I had a solar one that I used for a short trip (taped the small panel on the window) I know the sedated fish can make a 2 day shipping trip. There are also small tablets that you drop in live bait wells that fizz and make oxygen. You have to get those from the bait stores, but I've never heard of anyone using them for koi transports. I've seen small pumps that you can plug into your lighter, but don't know where you get them.
Every now and then you can get a pet store to agree to ship them for you for a fee.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2012
4:02 AM

Post #9012835

Thanks I;ll check on that!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 361 Jun 7, 2014 5:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America