Dental Implants - pros? cons?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Any experience with dental implants?

Either singles or dentures?

Titanium? Any metal allergies?

Any thoughts? Please share... Kristi

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

In 2010 I spent a lot of time in the dentist's chair because I did not want false teeth and at 69 it was time to act. After many crowns the dentist did use two implants to secure a minor bridge. No problems, no issues, no allergies. I wish you the same good dentist and good luck I've had.

Thanks... I am just implant nervous with the staph infections and metal allergies. I'm tossing it around and need to be pushed one way or the other.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I had one implant about 20 years ago. Still a very new process then. I've had no problems. Not even sure which tooth is the implant. I know the area it is in but a dentist would have to tell me the exact tooth.

Sounds like you have had great results, that is good to know. I have recently been told the reason they use titanium is no known allergies.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I would love to have dentures that actually FIT, or implants, but at my age (62), it really is a mute point - much too expensive, imho. I will just stick with wearing my top denture and leaving the bottom one in the glass!

Granite Bay, CA

I am and have been for the past year in the process of getting an implant on one of my front teeth. (One of my two very front teeth broke off at the gum after having been crowned twice and having a root canal over thirty years ago to pay for a chipped tooth done by a youthful indiscretion.) What has taken so long is the dentists are waiting for the bone grafting stuff to do its job. My trouble is my gum has receded and the bone graft did not seem to do much . I have just had a skin graft done on the gum to try and help even the gum line and it seems to be okay. The first part of my implant is in now but I have to wait for the extension to be attached for another month. After that I will have to have a crown for that tooth, and the two on either side of it ( perfectly healthy teeth) just to make my smile look okay. I was given the option of a bridge but the consensus was that would not look any better. I just want to smile again . My husband had an implant last year and it was a piece of cake, only took about a month total but that wasn't a front tooth. I have never heard of anyone going through this much for an implant.

Oh Kay ~ I know it is so expensive but having dentures that fit well can mean good health. At your young age, I would hope you can find a dentist or clinic that can help you either with financing or better prices.

I can't believe how expensive implants are. Replacement dentures were $2,000. and implants for the lower only will cost $1200. Ouch. I am convinced that I will do them but need to recover from the last few trips to the dentist.

Ogrodnik.. my sister was to go through something similar. Last I talked to her, she decided on a bridge with implants. I need to ask her how it is going. One of her front teeth had broken off. Would hate to think what your procedure will cost.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Podster, that's $1,200 for EACH implant/tooth, correct?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Now they can do two implants to hold an entire bridge so possibly it would work for dentures as well.

For anyone facing expensive dental work, please look into Dental Save. I saved $600. on each crown - quite a nice savings.

I'm sorry that wasn't clearer. Two implants for the lower denture ~ $600 for each implant. Yeowch!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images