AuthorContent

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9009409

My DD saw this on facebook and feel in love, she asked me where she can purchase it and the name of it. I told her...
"I don't know enough about rose to even guess...let me ask the experts." So hear I am! :-)
Do any of you have any idea what this could be?

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9009440

not sure but try these

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/165835/

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/334027/
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 16, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9009458

Whoever she is she is a most impressive rose! (I'm anxious to know too.)

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9009620

Thanks Baja, I think this may be a hard one to I.D., looking at it makes me think the photo has been enhanced...darkened to be exact.
I have come across some that are similar ...
Dynamite
Luxor
Rosie O'Donnell
Ronald Reagan
Xcite
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9009697

That is a very dramatic photo. I'll add a couple more to the list.

I thought it might be a florist's rose. So I did a search on HMF and found Nicole (Hybrid Tea, 1998): http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.28066.1. Particularly this photo: http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.52598

Could be Fairest One: http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.62184.1

But it could possible be a miniature. I don't have very many miniatures that stick in my mind.

If you are looking to buy a rose that has that look and is still in circulation you might look for Nicole. It is a Kordes rose and appears to still be in limited circulation as it is listed with a wholesale supplier here in the states. Fairest One was distributed by Jackson and Perkins, but they don't seem to list it anymore.

Luxor is a very good option too. Another florist's rose. I've seen both Ronald Reagan (the rose) and Rosie O'Donnell (again only the rose, not the person) in person. The reds don't really match up for me with those two. Although they are both very good roses.

Good luck in your search. Can you contact the face book poster of the photo? They may know what it is...
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9009703

Oh, and it might be Hannah Gordon on a cold day. http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.89514

Help Me Find can be very addictive!

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9009705

Thank you so much Terri! Those are very close and will send them her way. I think DD is trying to track down the original poster but it's been "shared" hundreds of times. :(

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9010233

my very first thought last nite
was that ot is photoshopped !

if you figger it out, pls let us know !
Aslan89
Harlingen, TX

February 17, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9010320

I think the picture is just edited. I have a 'Love' rose and it does make wonderful roses like that but it is more of a hot pink than red and they don't smell :/

Anyways, the white underside of the petals looks too white and the surrounding green of the leaves looks odd to me.

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 17, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9010334

I thought the exact thing. :-)
Aslan89
Harlingen, TX

February 17, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9010336

It sure would be nice if it is real though! :)
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 17, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9010406

Snow Fire is a true red with a white reverse - but not purple...
Aslan89
Harlingen, TX

February 17, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9010436

Wow Snowfire is nice but they look too pink when they open for my taste. Not that I hate it, I have double delight which looks similar when we have cloudy weather and they don't darken up.
victorengel
Austin, TX

February 28, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9023690

More possibilities here:
http://www.rareroses.com/2010/03/rose-razzle-dazzle-and-fire-n-ice.html
victorengel
Austin, TX

February 28, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9023695

'Love' grandiflora maybe?
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.64372
Aslan89
Harlingen, TX

February 28, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9023893

I don't think so, we decided it must be edited or some other rose. I have a 'Love' rose and it is very pretty but its nowhere near that dark. Its a hot pink color on top.
victorengel
Austin, TX

February 28, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9023902

Right, but edited from what?

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9024120

Has anyone seen the Dick Clark ?

newly released this year

it has that maroony shade in it

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9024124

And THENNNN
Just ran acriss this one named
Lipstick

Thumbnail by BajaBlue

Aslan89
Harlingen, TX

February 29, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9025137

"Right, but edited from what?"

Does it matter? If it's altered you might not be able to tell. The point we had made earlier was that it is probably photo shopped, as in fake. If you open up the larger version do you notice how the green foliage doesn't look natural?

Aslan89
Harlingen, TX

February 29, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9025150

The Dick Clark rose looks like Double Delight to me unless I got a rose that was tagged wrong last year? Well actually Dick Clark looks more pink I guess. I'm not a huge fan of anything pink but my double delight out performed all my other roses last year. It even stood up to our weeks of 100 degree weather and kept pumping out blooms for me.

I am hoping to add a second double delight to my collection this year if they have them at lowe's again

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 29, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9025151

Aslan, im a fan of Double Delight too! :-)

Thumbnail by pixie62560

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 29, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9025174

Another one...ignore the white spots on the leaves. Hubby got carried away with the dusting to keep the beetles off the roses. Got to love him for trying to protect them. :)

Thumbnail by pixie62560

Aslan89
Harlingen, TX

February 29, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9025177

Haha isn't it just great?

I just got a couple of roses off of it yesterday.

Thumbnail by Aslan89   Thumbnail by Aslan89   Thumbnail by Aslan89
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Aslan89
Harlingen, TX

February 29, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9025189

Oh! Speaking of bugs on roses, I actually tried something new and it worked out great. I just use the fruit tree spray I use on my peaches on my rose bushes. I have not seen any bugs on them at all, plus it makes the leaves shiny :) It's made by 'green light' and is labeled as 'fruit tree spray'

It's concentrated so I bought one of those gallon sized hand pump sprayers and just mix about a tablespoon in with a gallon of water and mist everything. It says it is an insecticide, fungicide, and miticide all in one.

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 29, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9025190

Oh I have zone envy bad!!! We are expecting 6-10" of snow tonight into tomorrow!!!
Aslan89
Harlingen, TX

February 29, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9025208

Yikes! The last time I saw snow here it was Christmas morning in 2004 I think? It was only a couple of inches but covered everything and supposedly broke our 200 year record for snowfall here :p

It's not all great down here though, we don't get the crazy cold weather you probably get but we have to put up with the heat. Last summer the low temperature at night on several occasions was 80 degrees!

But this is some of what I get to look forward to even if it is hot:

Thumbnail by Aslan89   Thumbnail by Aslan89   Thumbnail by Aslan89

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 29, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9025209

Beautiful!
victorengel
Austin, TX

February 29, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9025387

Aslan89 wrote:"Right, but edited from what?"

Does it matter? If it's altered you might not be able to tell. The point we had made earlier was that it is probably photo shopped, as in fake. If you open up the larger version do you notice how the green foliage doesn't look natural?

Yes, it does matter. I get it that it doesn't matter to you, but it does matter to others. It's certainly not a painting.
victorengel
Austin, TX

February 29, 2012
10:10 PM

Post #9025398

Here's another strange (to me) looking one that is quite similar.

http://www.petales-de-roses.com/lang-en/529-eddy-mitchell-meirysett.html
Aslan89
Harlingen, TX

March 1, 2012
1:08 AM

Post #9025424

No one ever said it was a painting, I was however informing you what we had discussed about the photo back on February 17th. The colors do not look true to life to me at least which is why I think it is a fake, so in my opinion it doesn't matter because for all we know it could be a picture of the 'love' rose that has been enhanced. Am I the only one that thinks the picture looks odd?

Anyway, no disrespect intended btw. I'm just saying why bother deciding what it is if it's probably fake? Because if it is enhanced they may have used any rose that is similar to the picture.
victorengel
Austin, TX

March 1, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9025525

I know it's fake. And I know nobody said it was a painting. I just mentioned that to hopefully inspire you with an idea of why I might be interested in exploring this. I am curious to know what plant the fake picture was made from. I don't see how this is a problem. Yes, the picture looks odd. Yes, it is obviously a fake. It was probably adjusted from a photo of a flower that at least had some of the characteristics of the photo. It's likely not much more than an exaggeration (the fact that the leaves are discolored, for example, show that the adjustment was probably made to the whole picture, and not simply applied with a paintbrush tool, for example). It's still interesting to know what the starting point may have been. If you're not interested, why not just leave the thread alone for those who are interested?

Even if we might not be interested in what it might be modified from, there could still be interest in roses that have a similar look. So far in this thread, people have been posting roses with white reverse that could have been darkened for the effect. My last post is an example of the opposite. It's already dark enough but would need the reverse to be lightened. Before editing, it's a completely different looking rose. So, just curious (I hope that's OK), what do you think of that color combination in a rose? Do you agree with me that it looks strange?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 1, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9025706

I think this is an interesting game! The victim of photoshopping must have been red with a white reverse. I hope the pictures we find of possible but unfamiliar blooms have not been similarly "improved"!
Aslan89
Harlingen, TX

March 1, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9025973

Victorengel you are completely right, forgive me and my stubborn capricorn ways ;p Haha it's been a long week. I'm a full time student taking 17 hours and its just been a crazy couple weeks. Entomology lab midterm tuesday, lecture exam yesterday, Genetics exam tomorrow, and a Genetics lab midterm next week along with my anthropology psychology exams before spring break.

They are just spaced out enough to make me crazy and busy ALL the time and I was just cranky and tired last night but I'm all cranked up on caffeine and B-12 right now so I'm feeling great! lol Anyway just ignore my previous comments.

Anywho, back on topic, honestly it looks like the 'love' rose I have but with a much deeper red. Although... someone suggested 'snowfire' which if you google, looks very similar just a tad lighter than the picture. In fact, I would venture so far as to say that is my best guess for what it is.
Aslan89
Harlingen, TX

March 1, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9026007

I know this is random but I just wanted to share this picture :)

One of my nectarine trees is starting to break dormancy and this is the first time I get to see the blooms up close since they were gone before I planted it last spring.

I didn't know they were pink and white like that! (slightly unrelated to this thread, but technically, if you have studied botany you will know that peaches and nectarines are actually in the same family as roses: Rosaceae)

Thumbnail by Aslan89

victorengel
Austin, TX

March 1, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9026026

Aslan89 wrote: (slightly unrelated to this thread, but technically, if you have studied botany you will know that peaches and nectarines are actually in the same family as roses: Rosaceae)

... as are apples. My 'Anna' apple is nearly finished its bloom flush. Meanwhile, the 'Golden Dorsett' which I planted as a pollinator has not even burst out in bud yet. I have several peaches, and their flowers vary from light pink to deep pink to one like your picture. So far the volunteer tree, which is at its peak of blooming right now, is the only one to flower so far. The others are thinking about getting started (buds swelling).
Aslan89
Harlingen, TX

March 1, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9026041

I see a couple of buds on my other trees but the only one blooming is that nectarine with about 4 blooms open. Your anna apple is already done blooming? Im further south than you and neither of mine have done anything yet. I have 3 peach trees (Florida King, White Princess, and Sam Houston) 2 nectarine trees (sweet surprise and sweet pearl) 2 plum trees (sweet august sensation and candy rosa) and 2 apple trees (anna and dorsett golden)

I've got my own little orchard growing in our grapefruit orchard haha but I'm surprised your trees are already blooming. My apple trees were just added last fall but they took off and grew well until they went dormant. I guess I am a little impatient because most of these trees were added last spring and I'm just dying to see them bloom out for the first time.

I might be hoping for a little much since they have only been here a year but they already stand on their own. the peach tree trunks are about 2-3 inches thick and the florida king actually kept five peaches on it even though it was blooming at the time I planted it last spring so I am expecting at least some fruit this year.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9026042

Gosh, what a pretty blossom!

Aslan89, hang in there! It will be worth it in the end.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 1, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9026179

How much good is a pollinator if it blooms at some different time? My Anna and Dorsetts haven't bloomed yet. I hope they coordinate their efforts.
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9026295

This photo intrigued me too, mainly because it was so obviously "doctored." I tried to correct the colors as much as possible. Some of the leaves are still too green because they were hand-painted after the colors were adjusted, probably to disguise black spot. Anyway, this is what I came up with, and it's a dead ringer for Snowfire (and for at least two or three dozen other roses).

Thumbnail by Zuzu

Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9026315

By the way, Victor, that "strange" Eddy Mitchell in your link is actually a lovely rose. Edmunds' Roses offered it a year ago as 'Dark Night,' calling it a brand new "exclusive," although it had already been available for some time as Eddy Mitchell and Garden Director Bartje Miller. It's a russet-brick rose with a russet-tan reverse. Here are two photos of the bud and the bloom. It's being marketed as a hybrid tea, but as you can see by the buds in the second photo, it blooms in clusters, so it's more probably a floribunda or a grandiflora.

(edited to add Edmunds' new name for it)

This message was edited Mar 8, 2012 11:45 AM

Thumbnail by Zuzu   Thumbnail by Zuzu

Aslan89
Harlingen, TX

March 1, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9026377

Zuzu: Wow I've never seen a rose with such strange color, I kind of like it. I may put snowfire and that russet-brick color rose on my list for next year.

Porkpal: I'm with you friend, it will be a waste if they don't bloom at the same time because it will make the fruit much better if they cross pollinate. If one of mine starts before the other I may treat the one that lags with super thrive since the plant hormones in that help trigger blooming.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 1, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9026424

One small caveat: Snowfire is really thorny - if that bothers you.
Aslan89
Harlingen, TX

March 1, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9026425

Eh, its annoying but I have several roses that have a lot of thorns all the way up to the flower so its nothing new for me. A little pain never hurt anyone ;)
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9026467

Porkpal's right. Snowfire is famous for its nasty thorns.

Ronald Reagan, Love, Oriana, and Osiria are some other roses with the same look and less nasty thorns.
Aslan89
Harlingen, TX

March 1, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9026519

Do any of them smell good too? I really like the snowfire rose but from the plant files pictures it looks like the red is more of a pink like the love rose
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9026535

It's a true red, with no pink or orange tones. Red is a difficult color to capture on film and a lot of cameras tend to photograph red as deep pink. The best solution is to hold a sheet of white paper or poster board behind the bloom.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 1, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9026592

- or a white cat.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9026605

Osiria, taken at a local rose garden, sigh... :-)

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9026609

Right! Porkpal knows my secret. I snap photos whenever Pepplegoose, my white cat, serves as a backdrop.

Love that Osiria pic, Sue.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 1, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9026610

Ooh! Ruffled petals and a white reverse!
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9026618

Ruffled and scalloped petals! And it blooms nonstop. It's a great rose.
SideTrack
Marietta, GA

November 30, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9346620

If you are still interested in knowing the name of this rose, I came across the same photo in another search that named this rose "Osiria". It is also sold through Palatine Roses when available.
victorengel
Austin, TX

December 2, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9347570

SideTrack wrote:If you are still interested in knowing the name of this rose, I came across the same photo in another search that named this rose "Osiria". It is also sold through Palatine Roses when available.

Thanks.
Wintermoor
Jesteburg-Wiedenhof
Germany
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9369819

A lovely rose which is quite popular here in Germany.

If it has a fault then it is that it has no fragrance.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
7:27 AM

Post #9374009

Sigh, such a pretty rose--but no fragrance is a bummer for me. Pop! My Osiria buble just burst...my aunt left an oriental-looking piece of garden art to me and I was thinking of that rose planted near that as I kind of think Osiria looks like it has an oriental flair to it. Oh well, maybe Tipsy Imperial Concubine (although no reverse coloring or ruffed petals). I think my aunt would have gotten a good laugh out of that rose name anyway.

We just adopted a dumped cat here at the shop where I work. She doesn't want to be inside or even want to be very tame but she is a heck of a mouser. So as soon as we get out barn built out at the house she will be caught once again (the first trapping was so that she could go to the vet) and be transfered to the barn as our official barn mouser. She does like to pose in the sun so maybe I can catch her in front of some roses for a cat/rose photo op. As it is I settle for Corgi/rose photo ops...

Gabi65
Newcastle(NSW)
Australia
(Zone 10a)

February 25, 2013
1:01 AM

Post #9430579

"Imperatrice Farah" look like the goods to me.

Thumbnail by Gabi65

JudAnn
Tega Cay, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2013
8:17 PM

Post #9434172

Pixie, I think this is the same picture you have. It's on Pinterest. I saved it some time ago as I thought it such an unusual rose. The link says it comes from Bakker and the rose is called Osiria. Here is the link:

http://www.bakker-irl.com/product/large-flowered-rose-osiria-/

Hope this helps.

Jud

Thumbnail by JudAnn

porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 28, 2013
5:29 AM

Post #9434304

If you look on Help Me Find under Osiria photos you will find this picture and the statement that it has been photoshopped.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2013
8:10 AM

Post #9434469

Yep, the name Osiria came up last March and it was positively IDed as Osiria in November, thanks for the confirmation. :-)

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2013
5:16 PM

Post #9469119

/
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 2, 2013
5:22 AM

Post #9469486

????
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

June 25, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9572392

Hi, Terri_Emory,

You say HelpMeFind can be addictive. I paid my $24 to try to identify a rose. I put in "single" as a criterion and got a whole lot of others mixed in. I put in "pink" as a criterion and got yellow ones. I put "arching" as a criterion and none of the hits looked arching. What's the secret? The other annoying thing is that there seems to be only one picture per rose.

Are there secrets of use I need to learn?

TIA
LAS

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 25, 2013
1:27 PM

Post #9572902

I am NOT a paid member of HMF I
DO love it . Depending on the cultivar
there be few or many fotos.

Toward the top of the rose page you
want to see, you will see a red ribbon with
choices: I don't remember them all, but
one is fotos. click on that, there are about
6 pics per page.

If there are still more, there will be a button
that says " more" click on that for more
pages of pics.

good luck
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 26, 2013
8:22 AM

Post #9573893

HMF does need tweeking. I think the searching aspect is rather simplistic, but I find it is kind of fun to search and see what I didn't ask for but turns up anyway. Kind of like the internet back in the 90's. I think also that the results are dependent upon the color and other information submitted by those contributing to the site. So if one person, for example, enters yellow in the color category for Agatha Christie because (to that person feels) there might be a hint of yellow to the opening bud, then Agatha Christie may pop up under a search for yellow roses.

On the other hand, one can find out who is growing Agatha Christie and where. So if someone in your area is having good luck with that rose, that helps to sort out what rose will do best in your own garden.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 18 May 26, 2010 10:56 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America