Photo by Melody

Gardening by the Moon: Starting Feb, post your sowing, planting and results here

Communities > Forums > Gardening by the Moon
bookmark
Forum: Gardening by the MoonReplies: 69, Views: 266
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9010244

All are invited to participate and share your experiences with the various calendars that Cristina has taken the time to share with us.

Many (calendars) seem to be in conflict with each other, so do what you can to document the day that you sow the seeds, the conditions, and when the sprouts appear, and if they are suitable for growing on. Since we have a variety of calendars from which to chose this year, we can sow something on almost every day. It will be interesting if any are trying out the different calendars, and to see which one works the best for you.

It does not matter which one you follow or which one you prefer. We are all interested to see what kinds of results we can gather. I, myself, will try a variety and then see if there are different results.

The other thread will be for chatting, and this one will be for sowing, planting and results. Otherwise we will be getting lost. We can discuss more general topics about the subject on the other thread and this one will be just for logging in our sowings, plantings and results.

I am not going to copy the other thread for the first half of February. So this will be from February 15th and beyond. If it gets too long, I will start a new one.

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9010303

FA:
February 2012 13th -15th Plant Carrots, Turnips, Onions, Beets, Irish Potatoes And Other Root Crops, In The South. Lettuce, Cabbage, Collards, And Other Leafy Vegetables Will Do Well. Start Seedbeds. Good Days For Transplanting.

Leaf Planet: Scorpio MOON: Last quarter

Synodic:
Do not sow anything in the garden. Instead use this time to weed and harvest. It is an excellent time to start building a new compost heap.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Scorpio:Water sign. Sow Leaf plants like Cabbages. Do not sow Fruiting plants like Broad Beans, Cucumbers

Sidereal:
Moon in Scorpio: An excellent time for planting, germination and strong sturdy growth will result Plant Carrots, Turnips, Onions, Beets, Irish Potatoes And Other Root Crops, In The South. Lettuce, Cabbage, Collards, And Other Leafy Vegetables Will Do Well. Start Seedbeds. Good Days For Transplanting.

It looks as though whatever we chose to do today, it will be supported by one of these calendars...LOL!! So on this day, Feb 15th, I sowed the following "leaf" seeds:

Celery Utah Lake Valley Seeds 2012
Coriander/Cilantro Confetti Value Seeds 2009
Cilantro Large Leaf Pinetree Seeds 2010
Lemon Balm Pinetree Seeds 2010
Lemon Grass Pinetree Seeds 2010
Lettuce Australian Yellowleaf Seed Saver's Exchange 2012
Lettuce Baby Oak Cherry Gal Seeds 2010
Lettuce Baby Red Cherry Gal Seeds 2010
Lettuce Bibb Ferry Morse Seeds 2008
Lettuce Buttercrunch Value Seeds 2009
Lettuce Butterhead Red Park Seed 2010
Lettuce Esmerelda Park Seed 2010
Lettuce Grand Rapids Ferry Morse 2000
Lettuce Grand Rapids Ferry Morse 2000
Lettuce Grand Rapids Ferry Morse 2007
Lettuce Marveille De Quarte Saisons Cherry Gal Seeds 2010
Lettuce Red Deer's Tongue trade with Mellen 2009
Lettuce Tom Thumb Page Seeds 1991
Parsley Triple Curled Pinetree Seeds 2010
Spinach Bloomsdale Long Standing Pinetree Seeds 2010

Coleus Wizard Scarlet Pinetree Seeds 2010
Dichondra Silver Falls Park Seed 2010
Dusty Miller Chrysanthemum ptarmicaeflorum Burpee 2010
Dusty Miller Silver Dust Senecio cineraria Swallowtail Seeds 2010
Ornamental Millet Purple Majesty Swallowtail Seeds 2010
Plectranthus Silver Shield Park Seed 2010

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 17, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9010357

I planted Babington leeks Feb 12 (root day, moon in Virgo). So far one tray (the greenest of the rooted bublets) has tiny sprouts coming up on the tops of a few of the bublets! The florence fennel date on the 13th (root day, moon in Virgo). The broadleaf sage I planted on the 7th (leaf day, moon on a node) is breaking through the potting soil; unfortunately the white ceremonial sage done at the same time isn't doing as well. Only 1 seedling out of 6 seeds... 2 came up very fast, but one has pooped out.

I cut fruit scions for rooting 2 days ago, and today dipped in hormone and "planted" 16 elderberries, 15 Nanking cherries (for the birds), and 12 filberts (fruit day, moon in Saggitarius). I've never tried to do woody cuttings before, so it will be interesting. The biodynamic book I got today says scions should be cut when the moon is ascending, and then planted at the right time. Mine were cut in a descending moon...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 17, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9010583

17 & 18 February 2012

Fruit Planet: Sagittarius MOON: Waning crescent.

Synodic:
Do not sow today. Only weeding and harvest . It is an excellent time to start building a new compost heap.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Sagittarius: Fire sign. Do sow Fruiting plants like Beans, Tomato. Do not sow Leaf plants like Cabbages, Lettuce...

Sidereal:
Moon in Sagittarius: Dry and barren. Plant onion sets and bulbs.

Today, Feb 17th I sowed the following seeds:

Pepper Ancho Hazzards seeds 2010
Pepper Anaheim trade 2010
Pepper Golden Bell Pinetree Seeds 2003
Pepper Gypsy hybrid Pinetree Seeds 2003
Pepper Sweet Banana Trade 2011

Eggplant Rosa Bianca Trade 2011
Eggplant Fairytale Gurneys 2011
Egglplant Long Purple Trade 2011

Tomatillo Giant Yellow Trade 2011
Tomatillo Purple Pinetree Seeds 2010
Tomatillo ? Trade 2010

And the following tomatoes:

Caro Rich Totally Tomatoes 2010
4th of July Burpee 2009
Early Wonder Tomato Garden Supply 2009
Mortgage Lifter Tomato Garden Supply 2010
Pink Ponderosa trade 2010
Fireball Bentley Seed 1999
Kellogg's Breakfast Park Seed 2010
Yellow Brandywine Platfoot trade 2010
Bull's Heart Trade 2010
Marianna's Peace Trade 2010
Golden Jubilee Ferry Morse 2010
Principe Borghese Pinetree Seeds 2010
San Marzano Lampadina 2010

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9011268

I'm happy to report the Florence Fennel I sowed on the 13th are pushing up through the medium! Not fully emerged, but I can see a bunch of them.

Here's one tray of the Babington Leeks I planted on the 12th... the other 2 trays (started with less-green bublets) are lagging behind but I see nubbins starting on a few of them.

Thumbnail by darius
Click the image for an enlarged view.

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9011295

Nice!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9021390

24 & 25 February 2012

Leaf Planet: Pisces MOON: Waxing crescent

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sweetcorn, Cucumber. Grains are also good to plant now. Vegetables harvested today need to be eaten, they will not stored well.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Pisces: Water sign. Do sow Leaf plants like Cabbage. Do not sow Fruiting plants like Cucumbers,,

Sidereal:
Moon in Pisces: water sign promotes root growth.

Did anyone here say LEAF??

On Saturday, 2-25-2012, I sowed the following seeds:

Lettuce 'Grand Rapids' Ferry Morse 2000
Lettuce 'Grand Rapids' Ferry Morse 2007
Lettuce 'Marveille De Quarte Saisons' Cherry Gal Seeds 2010
Lettuce 'Tom Thumb' Page Seeds 1991
Lettuce 'Red Sails' Pinetree Seeds 2003
Lettuce 'Baby Oak' Cherry Gal Seeds 2010
Lettuce ' Crispmint' Thompson & Morgan 2009
Lettuce 'Butterhead Redcap' Park Seed 2009

Cilantro 'Large Leaf' Pinetree seeds 2010
Celery 'Utah' Lake Valley Seeds 2012

Basil 'Flat Leaf' (trade) 2010
Basil 'Dark Opal' Park Seed 2009
Basil 'Osmin' (trade) 2010
Basil 'Genovese' (trade) 2011
Basil 'Lemon' (trade) 2010
Basil 'Lime' (trade) 2010
Basil 'Queenette' (trade) 2010
Basil 'Siam Queen' Ferry Morse 2008
Basil 'Violetta Aromatico' (trade) 2010
Basil 'Green Ruffles' Burpee 2009

Coleus 'Wizard Scarlet' Pinetree Seeds 2010
Dusty Miller 'Silver Lace' Chrysanthemum ptarmicaeflorum Burpee 2010
Dusty Miller 'Silver Dust' Senecio cineraria Swallowtail Seeds 2010
Salvia argentea 'Artemis' T&M 2009
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9025984

Shall I start a new thread for March, or shall we continue here?
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9026006

1 - 2 March 2012.

Root Planet: Taurus MOON: First quarter

Synodic:
This is a good time to sow vegetables that produce internal seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins,

Biodynamic:
Moon in Taurus: Earth sign . Do sow Root plants like Carrots, Chives, Early Potatoes, Onions, Parsnips,Shallots. Do not sow Flower vegetables like Broccoli .

Sidereal:
1- March 2012 Moon in Taurus: Sow Root vegetable crops especially when hardiness in drought conditions is needed.

2 March 2012 Moon in Gemini: Barren and dry, and yet good for promoting flower growth.

I guess I won't do any root veggies today, since it has been snowing all day.

Who has sown anything lately or has new babies arriving?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9026015

I think posting more here is just fine...

Here are the cuttings I started rooting on Feb. 17...First photo os Elderberries, 2nd one is a mix of Nanking Cherry and Hazelnut. The hazels aren't showing any growth yet, while the cherries have already gone from flowering to some tiny leaf tips showing.

I don't dare disturb any of them to see if any rootlets are starting!

Thumbnail by darius   Thumbnail by darius
Click an image for an enlarged view.

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9026036

Looks good, Darius!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9026047

Thanks. I meant to add that they were potted up on a "fruit" day.
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9034012

We use Blum's Farmer's & Planter's Almanac, so on the Feb 20 we planted red potatoes and Yukon Gold potatoes--saw the first sprouts today, March 7. Planted smooth sided English peas on March 4.

I am not familiar with the other calendars you mentioned, so I will go to the other threads to become acquainted with them.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9034043

Welcome gingerlily!

I suppose there are many different almanacs and we are trying to see what works and what are the variables, such as certain barren signs and if the biodynamic calendar will trump that or just avoid the barren signs altogether.
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9034488

Where do you find a biodynamic calendar?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9034503

The Florence fennel I started Feb. 13 are growing their first true leaves, but I am losing some of them to damping off disease. I might try transplanting them to individual pots with clean, new soil mix today.

The ceremonial white sage (Feb. 7th) decided to sprout a few more seeds (4 out of 6 seeds sprouted) and I lost one to damping off. The culinary sage (Feb. 7) is getting true leaves (and a little damping off also) and need transplanting to individual pots, but the only good time by Maria Thun's calendar is next Tuesday from 8am-1pm EST.

By the way Evelyn, you asked me some time back about transplanting dates vs. sowing dates. I missed it at first, but if you look at the photo of Feb dates that drthor posted on another thread, there's a tall vertical green bar at the left of the colored bars for fruit, leaf, and roots. It shows the best Northern hemisphere transplanting times during each month for each type. It's not all month. On my page of that calendar, the best transplanting times for March stop several days after the full moon (full moon was 3/8 and transplant times end 3/12 - 3/13). They begin again 3/29.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9034523

gingerlily, here's a website... It's set to GMT, so you have to adjust the time zone differences, which I think is adding 5 hours for us on the East Coast. There's a good explanation of the differences in the three moon planting methods on that same page.
http://www.the-gardeners-calendar.co.uk/Moon_Planting.asp

I'm using Maria Thun's Biodynamic planting guide this year, available from Amazon. Her dates do not completely correlate with the biodynamic dates on the link just above. Maria has 50+ years working with biodynamics and Rudolpf Steiner's methods, and so far my results from her data has been spot-on.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9035206

Thank you, Darius for sharing that information. We all look forward to a healthy growing season.
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9035738

Thanks, Darius. Sounds interesting.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9038693

11 - 12 March 2012

Flower day Planet: Libra Moon: Waning gibbous

Synodic:
Sow root vegetables, berries, bulbs, onions, biennials, and perennials.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Libra: Air sign. Sow Flowering plants like Broccoli, Cauliflowers. Do not sow Rooting plants like Beetroot, Carrots, Chives,Leeks, Onions, Potatoes .

Sidereal:
11/3 2012 Moon in Virgo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance only.

12/3/2012 Moon in Libra: Sow green manures or cover crops.

Today is a "flower" day via the BD calendar. It is too wet outside to sow or put out any roots anyway as it rained last night. I put some potatoes in yesterday, as it was a "root day". Some in the ground and some in a "Square Foot Garden". The gophers MAY get what is in the ground.

You have heard that "Man does not live by bread alone." I say that "(this) woman does not live by veggies alone"!

I have sown the followed flowers:

Ageratum 'Blue Horizon'
Consolida (Larkspur) 'Blue Cloud'
Heliotrope 'Blue Wonder'
Heliotrope 'Marine'
Lobelia 'Palace Blue'
Reseda alba
Reseda odorata 'Machet'
Salvia 'Blue Angel'
Tropaeolum azureum

All seeds are from 2010 except the last one which was from a DG member last year. Some were put outside and some under heat and lights indoors, and others on the bottom shelf no heat little light. I am running out of room.

Anyone else sow anything lately?

This message was edited Mar 13, 2012 1:47 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9038728

Just some Musselman Leeks yesterday (actually it may have been the day before). I usually buy leek starts from Dixondale, but they no longer have the Musselman leeks, and I don't like their nre variety as much. For one thing, Musselman's can be left in the ground all winter. I;ve dug them from under snow and ice several times!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9041541

I just lost my entire post...where did it go? I wasn't through typing it yet...I have to wintersow now, until anything gets big enough to take outside as all of my indoor spaces are taken now. The following I sowed into 4" pots and covered them with a plastic bag.

Yesterday, March 12th, I wintersowed the following "flowers":

Forget Me Not 'Bluebird'
Larkspur 'Blue Cloud'
Clarkia 'Apple Blossom'
Anchusa 'Blue Angel'
Painted Daisy single Mix
Iberis gibraltica
Hollyhock 'Peaches and Dreams'
Alyssum 'Apricot Shades'
Alyssum 'Aphrodite' wine red
Alyssum 'Royal Carpet'
Centaurea 'Alaska'
Calendula 'Apricot Daisy'
Lupin Cherry Red (saved seed)
Anchusa 'Dropmore'
Heteropappus meyerendo
Canterbury Bells pink (from saved seed)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9041743

I was able to put most of my trays out on the porch today since it was warm. Tomorrow is said to be mid-high 70's but that won't last. We'll have more frost, just maybe not hard freezes, until May.

Like you, Evelyn, I'm out of indoor space for seedlings...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9041836

I have more to do, but it will have to wait until tomorrow. It has been pouring rain all day and cold and windy! Winter was mild...Dec, Jan, Feb...much warmer and dryer. I was wondering if we would get winter, but now it is here. We have only had the tiniest bit of snow...it's raining now.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9047650

I guess I should not have complained on the lack of snow...we are getting some now

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9049627

Today, March 19th, I have transplanted the following into individual pots and them put them in my basement under lights. (I am out of room so I am adapting other benches with lights as well as the fluorescent light shelves.)

Chiogga Beet (Pinetree Seed 2010) sown 2/2
Bull's Blood Beet (Pinetree Seeds 2010) sown 2/2

I had more but I ran out of soil mix and I did not want to go out in the snow to get one of the components of the mix, as it is late, cold, and I have run out of space in the basement as I need more light shelves. It is too soon to harden anything off right now as the daytime temps have been 40 during the day and under 30 at night.

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9052967

According to my biodynamic calendar, today (March 22) is a leaf day, and I planted the following, mostly herbs. I found this neat self-watering container made from 2 liter soda bottles, so I made a dive into the recycling center's bins for bottles. They are great, but you MUST use a soil-less mix that will wick water up to the top. Do download the PDF from the blog post below... it's very specific on how to make them. I now have about 20 on my shelf just below the windowsill.
http://welcomehomefarm-tj.blogspot.com/2012/03/sub-irrigation-planters-from-soda.html

Today's seed planting:
garlic chives
fenugreek
green shisho (perilla)
Mrs. Burn's lemon basil
borage
summer savory
sweet marjoram
sweet basil (old seeds, not expecting anything much to germinate)
Italian basil a friend sent 3-4 years ago, (old seeds, not expecting anything much to germinate)
lemon bee balm
catnip
tall purslane
redbud (flowering tree)
wormwood

I intended to start some chervil today too, but the package says to plant the seeds in the ground as it doesn't like to be moved.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9053898

Here's my elderberry cuttings I started Feb. 17... 34 days to today's photo.

Thumbnail by darius

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9055239

Darius ~ Are you thinking of making elderberry wine? ^_^

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9055286

LOL, probably not, but I do make an elderflower cordial and an elderflower champagne-like fizzy I like. I mostly make an elderberry cough/cold preventative syrup. Some of the cuttings will be traded.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9055299

All of it sounds good! (Especially the "fizzy"!) I will be posting my sowing a bit later on today.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9058091

Oh, my goodness... I planted a few seeds of Tall Purslane on 3/22, a leaf day... and on 3/25 I had about 50 sprouted seeds over half an inch tall!!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9059566

Darius ~ Are we the only ones left?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9059571

Looks like it... LOL
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9062292

Today, March 29th, with the Moon in Taurus, being a "root day" on the byodynamic calendar I put 11 cal-Organic (sprouted) potatoes, that were ready to plant for quite a while now. I was waiting for the right time, and of course, not when it was snowing, LOL!! It rained yesterday and the night before last with a lot of wind.

Those potatoes have been covered by compost 3 times already as they are growing vigorously.

The peas have yet to sprout, but the seedlings are doing well. Our weather has been variable to say the least. It has been cold and windy today, and they are predicting a "chance of rain". And then another warm-up for the next few days after that. It is a miracle that any plant knows what to do. So far the apple trees have not yet shown any buds or blooms. Not sure if they will or if they already got knocked off. The companion plants for apples is nasturtiums. I hope I remember to do this this year. When spring comes, there are SO many things to do all at once.

Some of the spinach has bolted due the warm weather, and some has not...go figure!

I think it is too late to plant any more of it, but since I have seedlings not yet up to size, I will plant them in the shady side of corn and/or tomatoes. Same thing with my lettuce seedlings. The parsley and cilantro seedlings are coming along nicely as I have recently pricked them out into pots and/or cell packs.

It is almost time to start squash, beans and melons as well as corn. I will wait for the appropriate moon sign and go from there. If the weather continues to be variable, I could start a few inside. I think we are frost free now, but we still could get rain and cold, windy weather. I know they all like the warmth. I have been thinking of a portable greenhouse. I have tomato starts ready to put out as well, though some are farther along than others.

OK, the next post will be from my journal...LOL!!

This message was edited May 3, 2012 2:11 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9062316

Yup, this was a good day to plant 'taters... good for you! It was also a good day to transplant any roots, so I got some goldenseal tubers and 3 dozen ramps planted over on my steep, shady hillside.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9063475

Would it be good to plant rosemary on a "root day"? Or do I have to wait for a "flower day"?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9063567

Neither... it's considered a "leaf" plant even though it often has tiny flowers.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9063620

Thanks! Are all shrubs "leaf" plants?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9063668

No. Some, like currants and blueberries are fruits even though they flower. I think it depends on what their primary purpose is, like lavender has flowers but it's a leaf plant. Don't know about all of them though.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9088925

OK, I think I get it. Their primary purpose of the plants need to be considered for the type of day it is for planting.

How are your cuttings coming along?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9089031

Elderberries are doing great, about 80% have rooted. Not good with some of the others, but I read it can take 3 months...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9119860

Yesterday, May 11th, I planted out some tomato seedlings that I had raised along with seeds of corn and bush beans.

Today, March 12th I will put out some beet seedlings that are in the basement. I have been bringing them outside for hardening off. They will go in the square foot garden that is now housing the cool-season veggies as I have put row cover over them to protect them from the heat of the sun.

I think I will look and some of the potato seedlings and see if I can separate them...not sure if I will plant them out until later, but maybe put them into cell-packs or gallon cans.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9120194

Cool beans, Evelyn!

Yesterday I transplanted 23 elderberry cuttings I rooted into "tall tree pots" so they can grow more roots before planting out, maybe another month. That means 27 (total) out of around 35 rooted and did quite well. I still have 6 that are iffy... leafing out but no sign of roots! I won't plant all those in my yard, hope to sell or trade about half... I've already given 4 to friends.

Still to early here for tomatoes; I haven't even started seeds. But the summer squash are in the ground, and the winter squash are growing nicely in their cells.

So far, at least 95% of my seed starting and/or transplanting is by Maria Thun's biodynamic calendar. I'm expecting to get some earth-moving equipment in here soon, so not a lot will happen until that is finished. I'll try to do an update soon!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9120362

Oh, and I also put seeds in for 2 kinds of haricot vert. (skinny french beans) Today, I did nothing except weed and water. tomorrow is another day. (There are still plenty of weeds to go around...everything!) LOL!!

Way to go, Darius. I wouldn't mind trading something for one or two of your elderberries. I hope that I have something that you want.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9120366

Evelyn, they need another couple of weeks for better root growth. I'm mainly interested this year in perennial fruiting shrubs/trees/vines for zone 5-6, or insectaries... although I have quite a few started. We'll talk...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9125207

Update on my fruit cuttings: I took elderberry cuttings in early Feb. on a fruit day, moon in Saggitarius. So far my success rate has been very high, considering I really didn't know what I was doing! A few days ago I transplanted 27 to treepots (tall and skinny pots) to develop better roots. I have another 6 that developed top growth but NO roots, and 2 more that developed roots but no top growth.

I've already traded 4 away, will plant about a dozen in my yard in a few weeks, and sell or trade the others.

Thumbnail by darius

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9145099

I have been asked a while ago to post my results of growing by Maria Thun calendar, so here what did happen in May 2012:

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9145101

I really think Maria Thun's calendar is working

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9145105

I have followed Maria Thun's calendar for 3 years now and I have no problems with pests, disease or plants not growing right ...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9145108

well... I actually I have a problem : I NEED A BIGGER FREEZER !!!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9145110

Yes, these are still harvests in May

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9145114

So what do you think: do you agree with me that Maria Thun's planting calendar is a good one?
I think it works really good for me here in Dallas.

Happy gardening

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9145394

I'd say the Calendar did good by you! I just hope my results do as well...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9150807

Now I am waiting to see the results of people using the other calendars.
Anybody is yet posting any pictures.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9238928

OK, It looks like that there are only 3 or 4 of us here. My tomatoes are still green, since I planted them so late, but they really have loads of tomatoes on them. Of couse, our weather was warmer (hotter!) this year as well. No eggplants or peers yet. The beans have been doing well, except for where the gophers got them.

The corn cobs are not filling out well yet, but I still have hope on that.

I have planted all of my gardens according to the bio-dynamic calendar.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9238943

Evelyn, I need to look at my notes and post a better update. Summer weather (lack of rain and HOT temps) have taken a toll on my garden, although the lemon squash have been outstanding, esp. for resistance to bugs. The Romanesco zucchini did great, but far too short before succumbing to bugs.

I didn't plant many tomatoes, maybe 3-4 plants, mainly because the brown marmorated stink bugs have ruined the harvest for the last 2 years. However, I do see a few tomatoes starting on the few I did plant. Winter squash are doing okay but not great; the factors affecting them are lack of rain, and that they are planted on a hugelkultur berm that's new, not enough topsoil on it, and doesn't hold water yet.

On the other hand, I could feed a couple of families with my Swiss chard growing in afternoon shade.

My garden is weed-choked, which doesn't help. I've been ill and haven't had the energy to tend it properly. The harvest of garlic, shallots and onions was good, but those were planted either last fall and early spring before drought conditions set in.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9238985

Gosh, Darius!

I am sorry about your poor health. I hope that you are better by now. I, also, have been having some health problems. Right now, of course, is the extreme heat for an extended time. It rarely gets into the 90's and it has been in the 90's for about a week now. I water the best that I can, but is it enough for the corn? The ears are not filling out well. I dusted some pollen on them, but it may not be enough. This is my first year growing so many veggies all at once.

The strawberries did great, the blueberries were a disaster! The leaves were chewed as well as the berries. Next year I will get some tulle to cover as they looked great when covered by the clover. As soon as I removed the weeds, the bugs took over. I guess it was earwigs, as there are quite a few. I had better mix up some neem oil, as they were in the corn as well, though I did not see any damage yet. Have you ever trapped earwigs? Under a lid or wet newspaper? I will have to go all out to protect what is left.

I even planted my leftover tomato seedlings...in all parts of the gardens and in pots, and of course, in the Square Foot Gardens. The best were actually in large plastic pots. They are getting huge, and loaded with fruit.

The zucchini is still going strong, with just 2 plants. I am glad that I did not plant more. Some cantaloupe self-seeded and I pulled almost all of them but two, as they were "compost" seedlings. I am surprised to see them, but they may be awful since they are probably from a hybriid...still if they are good, I will save their seed and take my chances. Just the fact theat they wintered over and started early. We did have a very mild winter this year.

Well, Darius, please take care and feel better.

Evelyn

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9239001

I kinda know what earwigs are, but don't see them much in my garden. I understand if we can get the brix in our plants high enough, pests are never a problem. I've been working in that direction for 4 years but still fall short of getting the soil amended properly. I may have to order an expensive soil test from AgLabs.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9239050

Yeah, I do not see them in the garden unless they are hiding in the cornstalks or under a rock.

Do you have any Neem oil? It is supposed to be good for everything. Mine is still sitting in its container.

My zucchini has outgrown the bug-eaten leaves and is producing well. There were a few with BER, but I just cut them and put them in the compost pile, though ate the good parts.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9240513

evelyn good to see you in the garden. And yes the lack of water affect corn and any or most vegetables ...

I'm glad you are better, the same goes for darius.

Neem oil is quite good to spray also if you put a dash of oil, cooking oil in a lt. (quart) of water and give it a big shake before spraying down the silk in your corn will deter the earwig and the corn borer. 2 or 3 tsp of oil will be enough.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9267423

Has anyone made any comparisons with the various calendars, or even with and without the calendars?

The only one I made was on stocks. I sowed some on a leaf day and others on a flower day. It did not seem to be much different, as they were both quite small and neither performed up to their expectations. Most everything else I have waited to plant or sow according to the biodynamic calendar.

So far the only really good result was with the zucchini...but that one I could have probably sown 6 different seeds and they might have all wanted to "take over the garden"...

I have not done so well with the corn, as the ears have not filled out well. That migh have been the seeds that were given to me...not sure...

Some tomatoes did great, and others not so good...that might have been due to various light exposures, as none were in sun all day, but most were in most all day...

Now I have sown some peas and lettuce. Anyone else start any fall sowing??
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9267428

[quote="cristina"]evelyn good to see you in the garden. And yes the lack of water affect corn and any or most vegetables ...

quote]

My grandson-in-law may be installing a watering system for me next Sunday. I sure hope that will be the case, as I really do need this.

cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

September 6, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9267506

For sure it will help you. We cannot fully understand how water will be so important with all this weather changes ...
evelyn I hope you are much better,
cristina
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9329360

OK, everyone! How was your growing season? Since I had such mixed results, I cannot really report anything special. I did have several good tomatoes, and several really duds! I do not know whether or not it was the soil in the Square Foot Gardens or in their containers. None in the ground got very big and most of them that I planted in the ground were eaten by gophers. My zucchini (Black beauty) was outstanding. I also sowed a hybrid zucchini on the same day and it barely put out any fruit by comparison.

We have so many tall trees that our veggie garden space is not in full sun all day. still, it was quite hot and many were in at least 6 hrs of sun. Those that got less did not do as well. I will grow lettuce and other things next season in those beds, as tomatoes want their day in the sun.

Darius and Cristina ~ What did you grow and what did you take away from this growing season?

Dr.Thor ~ How did your artichokes do in the heat of the summer? Mine did not like the heat, but they are doing much better now. Maybe we will get some next year. I will just leave the 3 plants in the ground and see what happens.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9329525

The artichokes did very well. they survived the crazy summer ...now they are growing very well.
I guess that they will bloom in the spring, just like my cardoon.
My vegetable garden harvests have been the best this year.
I have just received the Maria Thun's calendar 2013 and I will keep following it.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9329913

Evelyn, remember I'm down south and I am planting nearly everyday, our Spring has been Ok with some rain but some days unusually cold. My fruit trees are doing super and I will have to take some fruit down to get larger/better fruits, all the vegies are going well, so far so good.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9337126

My garden year was disappointing, although like Evelyn, I had a great zucchini and lemon squash crop. Some of the problems were weather-related, and some due to garden neglect as I've been ill several times this summer.

My Belgian endive grew great, and thankfully no underground damage. I dug the roots, cut off the tops, and they are in a bucket of potting soil in the cool, dark root cellar. They are starting to send out blanched shoots now.

I have several artichoke plants, hoping they survive the winter. The one that survived last winter never flowered.

Thumbnail by darius

cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

November 19, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9337199

darius, hoping you are better and do take care, your winter is just starting,

Perhaps your climate is too cold for artichoke, but even when I said that perhaps your plant will do better next spring, in colder areas that start behaving as biennial and then when they are more mature they become fruiting every year as a proper perennial plant.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9337224

Darius ~ Yes, I too, hope that you are better and will continue on as such. I also had my challenges, but we are all hoping for better times.

I, also, had artichokes and they were horrible all summer. Now they are looking good. As long as there is not a severe winter, we might have some better results. I even dug them up and put more compost under them. They seem to be appreciating it, as well as the cooler weather.

So this thread has really turned into a chat thread...not all the results that we wanted to occur. I am disappointed, but will continue to carry on.

I probably will not start any seeds indoors until after the holidays. I have started lettuce outdoors and it is doing well so far. They are in my Square Foot Gardens. I will do more along these lines during the winter. I have one covered with Remay, to protect from frost.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Gardening by the Moon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Moon calendar? nivlac 13 Jul 11, 2007 5:46 PM
Welcome to the Gardening by the Moon forum dave 67 Dec 27, 2008 6:47 AM
Those who know how to read an almanac defoecat 81 Jul 10, 2007 1:03 AM
Moon Phases threegardeners 9 Jul 11, 2007 9:59 PM
Here's what I'd started last year .. Magpye 24 Jul 21, 2007 4:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America