Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: HOW TO COLLECT FISH ROW

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 31, Views: 119
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9011497

I just bought an egging gin rin and she is huge bellied.
Would like to know good methods for capturing row and possibly raising a few offspring.
Any suggestions??
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 18, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9011503

Bonnie

You could get some spawning ropes. I tried making my own and got nowhere. I googled koi eggs and this is what I found - if you scroll down in the spawning heading, there is more information.

http://www.pondkoi.com/koi_reproduction.htm

Good luck.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 19, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9011883

You can get normal mop replacements (the stringy kind that janitors use) and put a floaty on it. WHen the koi are ready to spawn, which usually is bright and early in the morning (mine have been between 5:30 and 8:30am) they will start going crazy. The mature males push against the females to expel their eggs and fertilize them while they float. As soon as the egg falls through the water and touches something, it sticks to it. The koi will try to eat the eggs immediately, which is why it's easier to have removable mops, to take out every once in a while and put into a smaller pond (it can be a kiddy pool) to protect them. They will hatch in 3-7 days, depending on the water temps. Warmer is faster. Koi are very picky about spawning...the eggs must be ripe, the males must be mature enough, the moon and length of day needs to be correct, and the water and air temps need to meet certain parameters. Usually, somewhere in the May-June time frame is when you finally see them spawn in our area...it will only be for a day or 2, and then they're done for the year. Because of our warm winter (even though we had a few weird freezes) I'm assuming they may spawn on the earlier side. If the water gets too warm, they will no longer spawn.
I also have some spawning mops a man made for me, that are wine corks and yarn. They are cheap for him to make, and so I can use several at a time, and take them out almost immediately and replace with another.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9011938

Bonnie -

Let us know. I too was wondering about the age of your male koi. I have read the males are ready at 2 years of age and the females at 3 years of age for spawning.

What are your water temps?

I have found that I usually have a spawning around early August, but it has been as late as September when my koi have spawned. It is typically very early in the am. I have seen them spawn when I am up in the morning, getting ready for work and I am usually out the door by 6:25 am.

Good luck...
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9012275

Don't think this old gal is going to make it until May but maybe. I planned on getting 2 mopheads. I have some green yarn and will wash it first cause I'm afraid dye will come out once placed in the water. I'm gong to sew the yarn into large loops on a piece of fabric and leave enough on each end so I can attach it to someting in pond. Koi farm owner told me to watch for brown foam floating on water. I had that last year before I bought these 2 new ones Friday. One is ginrin kohaku and prego is black and red something.
Time will tell. It's exciting anyhow.
Water temp today was 70. Guess they like a warm nursery.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9012492

Carolyn,
I printed out all the info. on spawning as I can't remember all that. I take it that to harvest any eggs you have to be right there when it happens or the devils will eat them. I can see where mortality rates must be very low.
If I can I'll try to get some eggs and isolate the female in another tank ASAP. I will buy an air stone.
I do have the filter etc. that is run in an acquarium.
Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Thanks to all for your info.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9012504

1 more question for MM. Are your yarn spawn things colored yarn or white? How are the corks attached to the yarn. With a hole thru cork and tied to yarn?
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 19, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9012529

Green polyester yarn...and a cork on top. I think it's about 15inches long.

Thumbnail by MerryMary
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9012543

Bonnie

The sooner you can get to the eggs, the better. The koi are right there eating the eggs as soon as the deed is done!

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 20, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9012929

I tie the spawning mops in clusters of 3, just by using one strand of the yarn. When I see them covered with eggs, which only takes a few minutes, I pull them, and throw in another cluster. One thing I forgot to mention earlier...add a few drops of fungicide into the egg pool, so the eggs don't grow fungus and die (which can happen overnight) A plastic kiddy pool with an airstone can work to start things up. You will need to order some egg yolk powder and spirulina for them to eat as they hatch.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9014097

Mary,
Please be more specific (store name) regarding fungicide. AES has spisrulina & egg yoke flakes.
Have 100 gal. stock tank for mother fish to rest in. Have blue round plastic show tank for eggs to be put in.
Bought 2 mopheads today and floating device for boat that should float them.
If thats all there is to yarn mats I can make them easily. Will look again for corks tomorrow.
What is shelf life on spirulina & egg powder? Want it to be fresh if possible.
Charlie says I'm nuts. Could be. Can't you just picture me out by pond in nightie with spotlight looking for eggs at 5AM.
Wouldn't babies tank be better in sunlight than in shade??
At least we are trying to set up proper nursery for the blessed event. LOL
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 21, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9014392

It's a good thing I have a privacy fence or my neighbors would think I'm a loonie! I'm out there all the time with flashlights and bathrobes, lol...
Usually, just a few drops of malachite green helps with fungus. Remember, after a day or 2, the eggs that are not developing, will turn white and fuzzy. The clear eggs are the ones that will hatch a few days later. You're just trying to keep the fuzz from moving to the good eggs, but with an airstone, and water movement (and good water conditions) it should be ok by itself. The main culprit comes when people are so excited that their eggs are hatching, they over feed. The fry will look like small wiggly commas. They can't swim after hatching, so they just hang out at the surface. Small amounts of food several times a day is neccessary, but very small amounts, to keep the water clean. After a few more days, they will look like baby fish fry, finally with 2 front fins.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9015066

Good thing this is written cause I'd never remember all this stuff. Kinda reminds me of tadpoles.
Thanks much.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9018761

Read my gardening journal today and my koi spawned last April so this April I will be watching them closely. Have found egg yoke flakes, spirulina and malachite green. Read long chemist report on malachite and sounds like have to be very careful using it as it is highly toxic. Ich rid has some in it.
Ah what an education.

Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9018791

Bonnie

I am assuming you don't have any salt in your water? Malachite green and salt are not to be used at the same time.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 24, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9019031

Yes, you certainly don't need a lot of malachite...you only use a couple of drops in the entire small pond with your eggs.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 29, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9025090

Carolyn,
No malachite in any of my ponds. This is just a pecaution against fungus addd to tank I will set up for eggs and hopefully baby koi if any of them make it out of large ponds.
Right now I'm pretty busy with trying to keep rabbits out of my vegie garden. Guess electric fence isn't going to keep them out. Will have to put up reg. chicken wire fence. What a pain.
Now they have eaten my mondo grass borders around flower beds and ponds. Never had this much of a problem with them since I've lived here. 45 yrs.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 29, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9025218

Bonnie

Let us know when you are a Grammy.

Have you tried putting marigolds in around your veggies to keep the rabbits at bay?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9025569

The spray from Lowes that's for keeping animals away really works. It's stinky while wet, but it does work. I used it on my banana trees, when the squirrles would strip the leaves off, to make their nests.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9026367

Mary I'll get some. I'm really at war with rabbits now.

Carolyn, used to use marigolds up north but they were for bug repellent. I'm fencing tomorrow.

Also, getting ready to show some koi in Orlando at koi show. Mary they said this show is largest on eastern shore so you had better come one of the days. Jeff is really hyped up and is showing one of his new ones. I'm taking 2 gold ones and new kohaku. Have talked to two board members that assure me there will be plenty of help there to guide us through all procedures. When I filled out the entry form felt like I was signing a new land deed. Also, had to join Orlando Koi & Pond Club to participate caause you have to have some club affilation. Should be interesting.

Bonnie

pondlove
Lewes, DE

March 1, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9026385

Good luck at the koi show, Bonnie!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9026441

Bonnie...I'm getting ready to join the Orlando Koi club too, but can't find the card the guy gave me! I'll look to see if it's somewhere on line too, so I can get it going. I'm hoping to make it to the show one of the days to see what everyone has. Should be awesome!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2012
1:37 AM

Post #9026661

MM and Bonnie -

Please post and let us know about the show. If you have enough time to take pictures, we would love to see them as well! That is so exciting!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9027687

MM,
Just go to Orlando Area Koi & Pond Club. All the info. is there including form to download for membership. Also, updated site for show is Central Florida Koi Show.org
Membership form is outdated so just change last 2 nos. to 12 before mailing along with your check.

I talked to club sec. Kim Hafley at 407-403-0757 if you have any questions.

Because we applied after deadline I talked with Sherri White and also show chair person Henry Culpepper who BTW had Grand Champion last year. We have a 6' show tank reserved. I had lots of questions and thats why I made the calls. Borrowed a 4' long cooler to transport bags with fish in them. Come to find out Charlies oxygen tanks for welding can be used for bag air. I think I have taken care of everything. We don't need battery air pump due to short travel distance. Mary you might be interested to know Mr. Kodama will be attending with his koi.
Feel sorry for fish that are flying in from all over. Not taking pregnant one as water temp change could put her into spawn while there so forget that. They warned me water will be colder than pond water so we will float bags for a while. Tanks are covered all night and there is security guard there.
I've already learned a lot and haven't even gotton there yet.

Didn't really want to join koi club cause its too far from us but had to in order to show. Have to have some club affiliation, new rule this year. Fish will be benched and catigorized on Friday before going into show tanks. They will have alll the paperwork I sent in and fill out their part at that time. They are not very interested in butterfly but thats tough my 2 gold ones are going. Also, any professional breeder is not allowed to show. I've got 2 pages of rules and regulations. I think vendors will be set up in separate area. Sandy Acres owners where we bought last fish are not going this year because of that fact. They have won MANY ribbons on both their koi & goldfish.

When my fish food runs out we are both switching to brand they sell. More economical than Tetra brand and more nutrients. I checked with company that makes it. You may use it- it's Ultrabalance and they order it by the pallet. They sell 40 pd. bags. for $78.00. Floating type is what I want. I have Tetras largest bag avail. at pet shops and its only 3.70 pds. for $42.00. Quite a difference in both price and quality so we will try Ultrabalance.

Carolyn,
If it is allowed I plan on taking many pics. I'm just praying my BP stays down those days as I have been having problems with it.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9027773

I've been getting my food from vendors on ebay, and switch the amount of protien dependent upon the time of year. With the water warming up now, I'll get a higher protien count, which will also get the mommy to be's a tad bit healthier. I'll also feed them a bag of frozen peas once a week, to add a bit more vitamin c to their diet. I mix the met clay in with their feed to brighten the whites, and deepen the colors (it also helps keep the water clear)
Spending tomorrow cleaning filters. Had a heavier than normal leaf/acorn drop this past winter, and now the camphor trees are dropping things too...just time for spring cleaning in general!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9028034

I've been dipping out oak leaves and now the wormy looking bloom every day sometimes twice a day.
I like the fish to be able to see what they are eating easily. The simmers are also loaded with leaves so I dump them everyday too.

We had to replace a pump last night on 2 newest ponds. Thank God is was under warranty but I bought it last Oct. which I didn't think was very long lasting. I keep files on all equipment and if goes out again that soon I won't buy anymore that brand. It's Smart Pond sold at Lowes for $285. 5100 GPH.

Good luck cleaning today Mary. Just comes with the territory. I don't like camphor trees they are too messy with those little balls they drop. I love oaks and their leaaf drop is messy too but they sure give good dark shade.

Early this morning I went through pond files. Just looking at what I've spent in 3 years was very sobering. However, the fish have become one of the joys of my life so I'll keep on as long as my health holds up. This coming May my 2 large gold butterfly and black & orange butterfly will be 3 years old. Boy time flies.

Happy ponding everyone.

Bonnnie

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 3, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9028099

I purposely DONT look at what I've spent! I guess some people go on trips...others shop at the mall...my vice is my plants and ponds. I guess it's a healthier approach to life! I really do get a lot of joy from it, even when things go wrong, it's still something that takes me away from the stress of the outside world! :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9028422

I don't journal what I spend, but I do journal things such as start up, shut down, water clarity problems or fish disease.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9028923

We could have lots worse addictions and ponds and gardens keeps us going physically also which is very good for us.

Got the granules you recommended Mary for keeping rabbits out of garden. Put out a few spinach lplants last night and this morning they wern't eaten. I''m sure rain will disapate it if we ever get any again but if it works I'll keep up with the treatment. They never attacked my flower beds before but they are now. I'll have to buy out Lowes. It's my favorite place. Don't shop much and travel less so it's ok. Garden center mgr. told me I ought to get a job there but I told him by the end of the week I'd owe them money.

Happy ponding & gardening.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 4, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9029238

I make a beeline at Lowes, directly to the sale plant racks...then fill in with good plants. Some of the sale plants are definitely worth the rehab, or are the missing color you needed when one plant died in a row, or the pot and soil would cost you more than what they're selling it for, regardless if it has a dead plant in it!
:)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9029281

I love the mercy shelves at Lowes too. Some plants are definitely worth rehabbing. That is where I got my start on my calla lily addiction.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9029287

When we went to Lowes with defunct pump found a string of pearls plant which I have wanted for a long time. I would very much like to order those face molds to attach to pots and use string of pearls for hair. I'm dreaming again but many dreams come true.

If the mgr. is there he always says here comes that TLC lady and the sale plants are in the back. One time he had 3 racks with all plants for 10 cents each. I took them all of course and very few of them died. Just takes patience.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America