latest good read

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

my book club reads:

"maos last dancer" - so good, movie is ok - Chinese young man at 11yrs (1978 +/-)old rustled into Madam Maos school of ballet story goes to 2009 - where now he is a fam. man in Australia. Very touching

"Zeitoun" - Family activities before, during and after "Kathrina" hit New O. heroic man/fam.

Next will be "Someone knows my name"

We will need book suggestions for 2012. Any are welcome

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

My friend's club liked something like "Sister's Keeper"- about a girl taken from her family at birth...

I liked ''THe Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks'', (2010) but the science may turn some of the members off. I don't think the science is heavy, but the human interest inherent in the whole story is fascinating.

The Help gets raves but I guess most people have already read it or seen the movie.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm currently reading "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, about her experiences growing up as a Muslim in Africa and the Middle East. Very enlightening for me as someone with middle-eastern descent born in America and unfamiliar with the traditions and religion in that part of the world. The story is captivating and I find the book difficult to set down. Likely would foster plenty of spirited conversation in a book club.

we stopped meeting for the summer. Not sure what was picked for next winter.
Thanks you for your input - will motivate me to read these suggestions.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I read Infidel after seeing Ayaan interviewed on the Colbert Report. I found the book amazing and herself quite an impressive individual.

"Zeitoun" was muslin related story. Here in LA

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Reading the kitchen house - pretty good!

I've had a run of not so good lately and so this nice change.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images