-
AuthorContent
Catsmiling
Moss Landing, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 19, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9012256

I recently moved to an area where I was assured they had milder winters (very close to the ocean in the California Monterey Bay Area) than where I had been (the hills of Santa Cruz County) but it was an unusually cold winter I gather, because I have been just heartbroken over all of my frozen fuchsias. Some of them were still blooming around Christmas. The next thing I knew, they were all frozen. Dried up crispy leaves... I had huge bushes. I haven't even wanted to go look at them. But this morning, much to my delight, I saw new growth on so many of them, I feel I have good reason to hope many of them will survive. I will take some photos soon. So where is everybody? I found this forum and it looks like no ones been here in ages!

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9015357

I'd love to see your fuchsias! They are my favorite flower (ok, ONE of my favs!) but they don't grow here in Houston. Way too hot! So I have to enjoy everyone else's. Except I don't know where the fuchsia lovers are either! I'm so glad your plants are coming back and I KNOW you are happy! Janet
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9019249

I live in an area that is too cold to keep them outside. So this winter I cut mine back and brought it in to a dark cool area with no water. It started to put out some shoots that were yellow but not much more. This month I took it out of its dark hiding place and watered it and placed in a bright sunny window. The yellow shoots are turning green and looking more like a real plant. I hope this works, I have never done this before.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9019822

Gee, I never thought of trying them as houseplants! I wonder if that could work? PC, if you're out there, what do you think?? Or if anyone has had luck with that, let us know!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9019831

It will go out side once the weather is right. That is where it was before I brought it in. I just did not want to throw it away.
They do like a shady area, so If you have that kind of space in your home, what the hec try it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropicals & Tender Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America