Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Fuchsias: Frozen Fuchsias

Communities > Forums > Fuchsias
bookmark
Forum: FuchsiasReplies: 4, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Catsmiling
Moss Landing, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 19, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9012256

I recently moved to an area where I was assured they had milder winters (very close to the ocean in the California Monterey Bay Area) than where I had been (the hills of Santa Cruz County) but it was an unusually cold winter I gather, because I have been just heartbroken over all of my frozen fuchsias. Some of them were still blooming around Christmas. The next thing I knew, they were all frozen. Dried up crispy leaves... I had huge bushes. I haven't even wanted to go look at them. But this morning, much to my delight, I saw new growth on so many of them, I feel I have good reason to hope many of them will survive. I will take some photos soon. So where is everybody? I found this forum and it looks like no ones been here in ages!

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9015357

I'd love to see your fuchsias! They are my favorite flower (ok, ONE of my favs!) but they don't grow here in Houston. Way too hot! So I have to enjoy everyone else's. Except I don't know where the fuchsia lovers are either! I'm so glad your plants are coming back and I KNOW you are happy! Janet
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9019249

I live in an area that is too cold to keep them outside. So this winter I cut mine back and brought it in to a dark cool area with no water. It started to put out some shoots that were yellow but not much more. This month I took it out of its dark hiding place and watered it and placed in a bright sunny window. The yellow shoots are turning green and looking more like a real plant. I hope this works, I have never done this before.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9019822

Gee, I never thought of trying them as houseplants! I wonder if that could work? PC, if you're out there, what do you think?? Or if anyone has had luck with that, let us know!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9019831

It will go out side once the weather is right. That is where it was before I brought it in. I just did not want to throw it away.
They do like a shady area, so If you have that kind of space in your home, what the hec try it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fuchsias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Amazing fuchsias Zanymuse 84 Sep 3, 2009 2:19 AM
Who would like to see a Fuchsia Forum!? PedricksCorner 134 Dec 2, 2009 6:06 PM
Let's get a Fuchsia forum going! PedricksCorner 83 Sep 3, 2009 2:21 AM
help with my fuchsia jjpate 2 Jun 8, 2009 5:38 AM
Fuschia - do I trim this? blackThumbz 15 Sep 4, 2009 4:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America