Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: The end of Summer Brugs in Australia 2012

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 142, Views: 1,135
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 19, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9012307

Well after 48 mls of rain in a big storm last night, some things still are ok but not many, buds dropped everywhere !
Cestrum asked about the size of poison, so I waded out there and put my hand next to it ...

We came from this last great thread ! thanks everyone who participated in it, great fun.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1242306/

I hope this gives some idea of the size of this amazing bloom, it takes a couple of years to give this knockout performance but I am now very fond of it.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100
Click an image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 19, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9012321

Sad and sorry scenes out there in the sodden garden this morning ...
At least we have some blue sky ...might even get a few hours of sun before the storms come back again.
The Pink Smitty crosses need the sun to do well ...they pale up in this weather and drop lots of buds. Heavy night rain and then warm sun is a no no for these and many blooms. More tips to nip I guess.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9012323

here is a comparison of 3 different suaveolens in size shape and length
'White Ruff', (White x. Pink) & suaveolens [1021]

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 19, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9012328

The Axelrose blooms stood up to the rain well but paled up, I now also have bird poop all over the plants from the birds sitting on the clothes line and leaving purple presents from mulberry/ blackberry feasts, it is ruining the pictures.

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Click the image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 19, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9012329

Have you seen Poison bloom Shaun ?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 19, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9012335

Love those shots ...the White x Pink looks a lot like Poison ...Poison has very short a very fat, really chunky calyx.
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/6657-buds-on-poison/

What background do you have on White x Pink ? If it's a very Large bloom then it may be Poison.

edited re question on W x P :)

This message was edited Feb 20, 2012 3:02 PM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9012343

No chrissy i have not seen Poison in bloom, it will be 1 to look out for tho being such a large bloom need it crossed with a pink or yellow & hope it stays that large

arn't these multi pic session great this is what im sure we all have been waiting for and your guys a lot longer
Thanks DG for the pic Boost
Shaun

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 19, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9012427

Stopping for a cuppa and I raced out to take these ...the two Blooms have closed for the day (it's sunny) so I propped them up as best I could ...here is Poison (they can be even larger when producing the 6 points) and Frosty Pink, I think everyone knows Frosty Pink.
Poison :Spectacular size is what makes this a Gotcha moment when it is in a flush.

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9012608

Dianne here i had a few visitors today you may know them
hahahaha

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 19, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9012659

Chrissy, when Poison opens again, could you measure it across...it looks enormous beside FP...
What a funny little calyx for such a big flower...

Yes, Shaun...they will be relatives of my bees...great to have them in the garden, isn't it.

OT ... I put this on the tearoom thread, so for those who don't go there, this is the latest in factory security in Geelong...
It certainly caught my eye as we drove past...had to take a pic.

This message was edited Feb 20, 2012 3:09 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 19, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9012678

I love the bees in the Frosty Pink Blooms because they are dusted in a pretty warm pink pollen ...I meant to say that earlier, the Frosty Pink has the pinkish pollen.

Ok Dianne I will try to measure it across and the length too (Poison), it was awfully hard trying to juggle the camera and the bloom because of the size. Depending on the weather I might be able to do it tonight, hopefully the water out in the driveway may have soaked in by then.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 19, 2012
11:09 PM

Post #9012765

Haven't noticed any pink pollen on the bees--perhaps I don't have the right brugs? It's cute, though :-)
Great shot of Poison, esp. with Frosty Pink as a comparison. (Don't you wish you had another pair of hands when taking photos? Oh, and some extra inches of height!) I like the lineup of your suave suspects, Shaun :-) Of course, they would look fabulous when flared open at dusk.
Am I the only person who feels sorry for that chained rhino? I hope it's Photoshopped rather than real ... Hang on, you drove past??? Ah, it's a statue!
Here is Pink Smitty x Dorthea#2, first flush. Looks pretty much like #1 but it's been too hot to get a good whiff of its fragrance--like pollen, seems to dissipate immediately in this heat--but has the same recurved bloom as #1 although this one looks prettier--maybe growing in dappled light has been kinder to the bloom?

This message was edited Feb 20, 2012 5:18 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 19, 2012
11:54 PM

Post #9012778

Fibreglass, cestrum...exact height and so realistic...the chain was inspirational I thought...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 19, 2012
11:58 PM

Post #9012779

That looks pretty from what I can see :-) you should smell the place here wow !

Ok so I did the best I could in the rain, camera, measure etc and me sliding around, so make allowances for wonky shots.I could control the faces of the blooms because of the rain so I opened the skirts for comparison.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 20, 2012
12:05 AM

Post #9012784

I knew it was not real, but an eye catcher :-) Dianne, I wonder if the Rhino causes cars to run up the back of each other.
While I was out there I tried to do a bit more measured but the rain got so bad again ...I was worried about falling (rain in my eyes) and the camera getting too wet.
The last one is the Giant x Fire Fighter seedling ...some blooms finishing now after a whole week, too long for the thingy to measure, in all cases I tried to keep the top level with the tops of the stalks.Also as close to side by side as I could.

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2012
12:09 AM

Post #9012785

Chrissy where did you get your Brugmansia Color chart i just got a ruler and it's hard to comprehend the colors as they are so close together
this is what mine looks like

dose BGI have the one that you have????? or is it a old version of this that i have

should i be concerned?????

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 20, 2012
12:09 AM

Post #9012786

I wonder if the chain is to keep it from being stolen?
there used to be a really good rhino & gorilla above the Body Shop in town - until some moron vandalised them.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 20, 2012
12:10 AM

Post #9012787

Thanks, Chrissy...I didn't want you to endanger yourself on the wet ground...the last fall you had was bad enough.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 20, 2012
12:18 AM

Post #9012789

It's an old BGI chart Shaun, I wasn't really trying to compare the colours just show it as a length really 12 inches all up if you include the ring bit at the top. I was just trying to give a perspective ...I don't have a ruler. Hubby nicks them.

So if you look at it being around 12 inches, then you can guessimate the size.
I must get a new colour chart soon. Dianne asked for measurements so that's what I tried to do because we might have further storms tonight and the blooms may be trashed.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 20, 2012
12:19 AM

Post #9012790

.Ask them, Shaun... they may have some left...
Everyone wanted a larger colour range so they produced a new one...

The chain probably serves both purposes, Teresa...though there is a very high chain fence around the business...

This message was edited Feb 20, 2012 7:20 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 20, 2012
12:21 AM

Post #9012793

Shaun those leaves look like too much water and heat to me, I could be wrong. The cells swell up and look like spinach leaves. All dimpled. Let them dry out a bit.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2012
1:02 AM

Post #9012795

Chrissy i do under stand that it was for measuring the bloom of POISON but iv seen it many times and would like have 1
i find that the colors on the currant ruler is to close together and i find it hard to distinguish

Dianne the Rhino looks so interesting i had to have a second look hahaha

thanks for the info on the leaves of my seedlings i will allow them to dry out a bit and then see what happens

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 20, 2012
1:39 AM

Post #9012800

Shaun I had a look at those leaves in a larger picture at BGI, something is attacking or has attacked those seedlings, be really careful about fertilizing young seedlings, let them grow hard ...because lushness invites insects.
When they are bigger then feed them up. Just my opinion of course.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2012
2:36 AM

Post #9012810

Chrissy you many have it with there fertilizing of them i have been feeding them since i put them in to the cups
Could this be the reason for it to much fertilizer ????

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 20, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9013724

More pics of the fasciation...it's curving around and there looks to be a fat bud...
The scarring on the stem is from me pulling the leaves off so I can see what's happening.
I can't get to the other side of it, so the pics are only from the front and side.

The pic with the black line is meant to show how it has grown up and over at the back of those leaves and around...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 20, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9013992

Dianne, how much beer did you put in its feed ???

Strange growth, but looks healthy enough. Be interesting to see what develops with the flower.

Its amazing how much you see this going on with plants. I have had roses do it , also some flowers.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 20, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9014122

Is that why it's trying to stand on it's head, Jean...it's the beer..lol

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 21, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9014911

Everyone is obviously at the same stage...waiting , waiting...

Here are my Vulsas on the ground and young seedlings on the table...all growing quickly now.
Is it only me or do the buds seem to be very slow at the moment...not BF or PP but all the others.
Probably me being impatient.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9015017

Dianne your Valsas are looking great mine are quite a bit behind but will be coming throu like yours in the spring

Talking about crosses::::
i have tried to cross aurea(form) X.Macedon aurea about 15 times and non have taken i have not tryed aurea (form) as the pollen parent at the moment as i dont have macedon aurea flowering so at this moment it looks like it could be 1 in the same. Still more investigation is to be carried out so if you can do some of the crosses also it would be appreciated and it would then be confirmed that it is or is not the same as just my conclusion is not satisfactory for the conclusion of this variety...

it also looks like ill get another flush from EP this season WOW i cant belive my eyes i have a cross with DP&G x.EP aurea (form) X.EP at the moment and just waiting on a few others to see if they have taken as EP pollen Donor

Shaun

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 21, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9015019

hi ...no computer yesterday, the whole area down.
back in a little while :-) Dianne that's mad looking ...I can see that bud is not normal, I wonder what it will look like ? Maybe shredded ...can't wait to see what happens.

Shaun I don't feed mine anything but weak Seasol until they get potted on. Just my take on it.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 21, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9015080

Normally it quietens down here in winter but I can see that this winter it's going to be exciting down south when all those cold-climate seedlings start flowering: wonderful!
I had taken a backup cutting of Phanomenal x Superspot and planted it in the compost bin under the old clothesline, where it had the shelter of the overhead canopy. It's now flowering and the flowers look bigger than the original plant (which is the right brug in the third photo). The last photo compares this compost-bin brug with the Aztec Gold 2009#4 seedling.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 21, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9015081

Ok here is a quick look ...after the storms :-) around the swamp ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 21, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9015084

Here is Fifi ...much paler than I thought she would be ...similar to cestrum's but I think this is a bigger bloom ...lets see what happens, she dropped about half of her buds.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 21, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9015087

Lovely to see it again cestrum, I think you will find a second year improves the doubles. That looks beautiful :-)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 21, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9015092

I think it prefers the dappled light. Also, that bed under the clothesline gets watered a lot so the conditions there are much better than for the original. Which, however, is now looking good again--here it is this morning, back to its lovely form. (Sometimes the perfume is like sherbet but today it was like talcum powder.) I've sent out a lot of seedlings seeds with this as the pod parent so we should expect some good seedlings in a couple of years, fingers crossed.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2012 10:33 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 21, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9015097

Your Pink Smitty x Dorthea cutting should get darker, even in sun. This is PS x D#2, also growing under the old clothesline in dappled light, and it's gone very dark. Your Fifi should darken, too--this means you can compare your PS x D with Fifi. It should get about as dark as PS x D in this photo.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2012 10:32 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 21, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9015104

Finally, here's Golden Butter#4 (left) with Musketeer.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 21, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9015280

Heres Clementine today. She seems a lot darker than some of the BGI pics, but she does sit in the sun until about 1pm. This flower is right in the sun but hasnt sulked at all. The second skirt is not down this time. There is only half a skirt there.

Next pic is the orphan Iochroma I bought a few months ago, Hasnt stopped flowering, I. cyanea

Last pic .. my cold climate primary school kids. All down in the shadehouse now.

Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 21, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9015340

Jean ...how wonderful ...don't forget to sniff around it tonight, you will just love that perfume !

Love your new little Iochroma, so happy they are now around the place.
The nursery is looking great.

You are right about the dappled light cestrum, they do prefer it. I guess that is why most people grow them under shade cloth.
Most of my plants are in full on sun (= gelato colours.) but sooner and more blooms, here at least.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2012 3:09 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 21, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9015400

cestrum, you are getting a lovely collection...Aztec Gold 2009#4 seedling & PS x D#2 are beautiful...
goes to show, that we need singles and doubles...

I have buds on my Maya cutting from my friend...her's is the one that sits in the full sun in the middle of the lawn...I have 2 cuttings, only buds on one at the moment...I love them as feature plants in my pots...the 3 colours in the leaf are beautiful...

Someone refresh my memory please, isn't Maya a sport from Axelrose, the flower looks the same...all the talk of other cvs and I've forgotten...

Shaun, my Vulsas are a couple of months behind Colleen and Lucas...they are both very quiet about them, probably they are full of buds...lol

Jean, that is a very fickle lady you are dealing with in Clementine...she only shows what she wants to...but she never fails with the perfume...wonder what you will get from MT x Ar?
Those pots are so organized and everything looks so good.

Chrissy, don't build up my hopes, wouldn't a shredded one be amazing...that's something I would love...that's why I like Culebra...
Shaun, did you lose all your Culebra buds?

Thanks BGI for the loan of this pic...Shredded White Fantasy...wow.

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/uploads/1295756153/gallery_521_122577.jpg

This message was edited Feb 22, 2012 4:16 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 21, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9015408

Shaun, I forgot to add, that I have GHA and Macedon growing next to each other and between the bees and my efforts, they will not cross...I earnestly believe that they are one and the same...slight differences due to growing conditions...Lucas has also tried to cross Macedon with his and I think that he is of the same opinion.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2012
1:20 AM

Post #9015461

Cestrum you realy have a great hand at this may i ask how long every one has been collecting BRUGMANSIA?????????????????????????????????????

chrissy it seems that things are coming back to normal in a way for you and your babies?????

Jean love those coldies if you said that to a drunk you would have LMFHO or LYMFO
so cute sitting there just waiting for the teacher to come and give them a pep talk gahh

Dianne it dose seem that way with the Vulsas and Lucas and Jean, Lucas is very Bizy with studies this why he is not contrubting to the thread ATM,

Alexrose is a sport of Maya , Maya is a sport of Mayan Magic this is my take on it hope it helps but chrissy is better informed about it

yes all the buds of 'Culebra dropped with the hotter weather it dose not like high temp above 28c or there buds will fall i will probably loose more buds this weekend also but them's the breaks

Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 22, 2012
2:50 AM

Post #9015481

GHA is very both very fertile and makes great pods easily, both as a mum or a dad, so I think they are the same thing Dianne you are very probably correct.

About Maya there are errors in the registry, so I would wait to see Alistair's book before anything is written in blood, why ? because I can confirm that Axelrose is throwing Maya shoots, so I don't know which came first, but so far I have only seen solid green thrown from Maya, while Axelrose is sporting both solid and Maya. Blooms on both Axelrose and Maya seem the same(though I am no expert). I love them both and will probably love the Mayan Magic blooms too (solid green).

The threads are open for Calender pictures at BGI so you had all better make a copy of your best pictures to perhaps submit for the calender shots.
Dianne your picture (the single one) of Ivoire is a potential shot IMO, you should consider it (was it this year ?) I have forgotten, so when you take your pictures bear in mind that it could be a calender shot.

Shaun nice nubs :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 22, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9016289

Around the garden in the morning sun. :-) the ground is starting to dry up a bit after two days of sunshine, Brugs are starting to look happy despite all the insect attack and weeds. The last Picture is to once again confirm that Axelrose is throwing Maya shoots as well as Mayan Magic.This was an older shot but the shoots are still coming.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 22, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9016612

Shaun, I started with my brugs with some cuttings from our lovely Chrissy back in Dec 2007.
I also found the mother plant of my GHA growing in a very small glasshouse on a farm. It was squished in among many many other neglected plants so I asked for a piece. I could barely reach to get piece above a Y. It has thrived here since and also in lots of other DG gardens.

No matter which brug I fancy at any time GHA will always be my favorite golden boy.

I have just potted a few pieces from a couple of brugs which were badly affected by the mites. It was easier to cut them back as they had lost all leaves.
Hopefully they will recover quickly and I will also have spare ones if they dont.

I just did a rough count when Shaun asked about brugs. I have around 120 which includes warmies & coldies.
There are the older plants, small seedlings and large seedlings & the coldies. They are spread all over the place now as I look for shady places.
Hubby says very hot until at least Monday so I am hoping all my new buds dont fall off again. I have 5 buds on OE and want to see her out again.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 22, 2012
9:54 PM

Post #9016688

Jean, I will be there with a fan for Opale Etoile...I want to see what the 2nd flush brings...

Bad luck about Culebra, Shaun...still they are worth waiting for...

For me it was October'09...I purchased one from my local nursery...all it had was "apricot Brugmansia" on the label...after it flowered, I decided to find out more and came across the aussie Brug thread on DG...I read old threads for a few days then took the plunge and asked what mine might be...everyone was of the same opinion...Old Apricot...
Chrissy kindly sent me some seeds, of which Ivoire was one and Topsy another...then a couple of months later, I decided that I would like some of the coloured ones so I bought Bruce's Pink, Clementine, Zabaglione and Pink Panther from a very nice lady in Queensland.
These 5 are my foundation and they take up a fair bit of my garden space...but I wouldn't part with any of them.
Since then members have given me cuttings for which I am very grateful and hope to return the favours one day.
I would have roughly 80 in all sizes...plus the 5.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 22, 2012
10:28 PM

Post #9016695

I forgot to answer that Question re how long I have been growing Brugs.The First one from about 1975 ish, the Suaveolens species from the SBG's, the next was Old Apricot (which was supposed to be Grande Marnier ) from the tree of one of my sister in law's friends. I adored them. I thought the hundreds of blooms on the OA was the most beautiful, jaw dropping thing I had ever seen (flower wise). I had been growing them so long and never seen a seed, never even thought about them breeding. :-)

I found Daves Garden :-) in 2007 and the rest is history- I learned about making seeds !, practiced on the ones (Arborea) seeds from Alistair, grew cuttings and plants from Alistair. All the while waiting for my seed pods to ripen,and for the USA seeds to arrive. During all this time, I yapped my head off in this never ending Brug thread, sent out both cuttings and seeds and received, both cuttings and seeds from wonderful fellow brug nuts.
I have just been looking at beautiful pictures of Tintarella from Wayne ...lovely little mini Butter Bombs is what they look like !
I hope he gets around to showing you one or two of them here.
If not ...
Hopefully this link will work for those of you on FB and "friend" of Wayne
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1442531454

Meanwhile I have asked Wayne to post here ...I know he is busy but he tells me there are 6 points on some of these fragrant little darlings. So Happy !

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 22, 2012
10:41 PM

Post #9016698

ooops I read that wrong, I got so excited to see the 6 points that I didn't read it properly, no 6 points yet ! awwww , never mind, beautiful little things. :)
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 22, 2012
11:03 PM

Post #9016703

We're not counting brugs are we? OMG. I didn't think that I had so many. I have about 80 of Brian's alone. so I reckon with the seedlings there's well over 200. No wonder I spend all my time in the garden. I have a few of mine in bud but only OA about to flower.Things have been a bit neglected while the watering systems have been going in but I hope that they all bound away now with the regular watering. I have 3 new coldies through. They're seeds from Hurstwood. I have about two lots of 6 different ones. The vulsas are still growing Dianne but no buds as yet. They're all different sizes, the talest being about 5' but not very bushy, so you can call it a string bean. I've had no flowers at all on my Sanguinea this year. I think it out-did itself last year. Brian's is still not too good. I have now cut it back to about a foot so I'll see how it goes from there. The ArboreaXsang are growing . I have about 10 of them. I hope one of us gets something worthwhile from them. I still can't believe just how many brugs are in my back yard. That includes about 200 broms and fruit trees and pines and lots of bulbs and cactus and succulents and everything else. Boy no wonder I'm always busy. lol Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 22, 2012
11:11 PM

Post #9016704

LOL... Colleen.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 23, 2012
12:20 AM

Post #9016714

Wayne says hello to all and because he can't access Daves'Garden he has given me permission to post Tintarella :-) his work should be finalized after Easter, we hope you like her !

Presenting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMFiH6emlsA&feature=related

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2012
2:16 AM

Post #9016742

wow guys thank for that info
My self my first plant was probably suaveolens from a garden in Middle Park it was about 1993 i bought and grabbed many plants thinking all different that is why when i started here i have so many Apricots, Salmons, Peach, candida, versicolor & suaveolens but majority were numbered as i had no idea of what they actually were, now im thinking all the Apricot,Peach & Salmon are all OA, candida =knightii,
my first plant i brought from a rep dealer was probably 1997 and i started selling plants to the industry in 1998 to places like Yamina, Honey Suckle Farm(Sasafras) & Herrons wood (Dave Pomain) and many local nurseries, so with some of the plants that you have originally got may have come through my hands many years ago but names were scratchy back then.
and i have been waiting for like minded People like you guys to work with, My 1st Hybrid was crossed in 1997 and first flowered in 2000 it is what i call DRC'

Chrissy, Wayne's Tintarella looks so cute almost melted butter in color

Colleen you need to find some thing else to do or you wont be able to get thou your yard soon hahahahahahahah
sounding like mine but i have a bit of Body crop land im utilizing Grrrrrrrr
I have about 60 + adult size plants with about 150 seedlings and seed still germinating
Gil's going of and wondering what im going to do with them
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 23, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9017297

Now if we all put our yards together we'd have a huge brug jungle.
How beautiful that would be. Imagine the perfume.
Shaun if you get Gil to smell GHA, BB or Clementine, you will have a new convert to brugs.

Chrissy, that lovely Tinterella is a credit to Wayne. Such a pretty little lady.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 23, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9017367

Dear little Tintarella (Moon tan) is a child of GHA Jean, it's a cross I made of GHA x Butter Bomb, Wayne has done a beautiful job growing her out, when I think of the earlier crosses, I am in awe of the fact that some really did turn out to be anything but white.

Colleen you should have some real beauties there in your huge collection, I sent Brian some good crosses and you have Fire Fighter Angel (at least 6 pieces) somewhere in that collection. Can't wait to see some of the results.

The coming year should be spectacular ...all those cold group seeds to follow ! they can fill in while we are hanging out for our warm group.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 23, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9017465

Thats wonderful Chrissy..
We are grandmas ..lol
So lovely to see GHA's offspring coming on ..
You can see the genes of both parents easily . I wonder how the perfume lasts. BB certainly has similar to GHA , but I find in the heat, GHA lasts nearly all day.
I hope I see something as pretty from the crosses I have from you .
I am eagerly watching GHA at the moment as I tried 5 lots of pollen on him. I am hoping some take.

Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 23, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9017653

Tintarella is very pretty. Not surprising really, given the strong aurea genes on both sides. Must have that strong aurea perfume too.
Glad to hear the parcel reached you, Shaun.
Here's a comparison, plus one of the larger flowers on my white suaveolens. They can be quite variable but this one is flared open even at noon, because it's been overcast and relatively cool all day (amazingly so for Feb).

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 23, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9017722

Its so hot and windy, all my babies are gasping. Looks like I will have lots of leaves dropping off after this weekend as it is going to get even hotter Sat & Sun.
I just hope the buds stay on.

Its a very clear sky and already up around 36C so will be hotter in an hour or so. It always gets hotter here around 3.30pm.
The strong , hot wind is the worst problem, sucking all the moisture out of those lovely soft leaves.

Looking out the window here I can see that the brugs on the veranda , which faces east , are now looking better as the sun has gone over and the wind is coming from the west.
Poor babies..
Their roots are nice & moist anyway so they will all be up and smiling tonight.
Then another 2 days of heat for them. Hopefully, the forecast said there is rain coming which will make us all feel better.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 23, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9017738

I don't believe them, Jean...they said it was coming last week and I waited and waited...lol

Mine are all hot too...but there is no room in the lounge for them...
It's funny looking at the garden with most of them trying to keep cool and Maya, GHA and Ivoire really lapping the hot sun up...even though the flowers may get a bit scorched, the leaves are standing tall.

Forgot to add, cestrum your suavie looks lovely...isn't that a great upwards view.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2012 2:27 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 23, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9017770

Dianne, I wonder if I could move the air con outside with a very long cord. ...lol

Hubby wouldnt mind I'm sure. ( very sure he would mind ) Oh yes, I can see him now, fighting the brugs for every bit of cool air.

Oh I just thought, we have fans, maybe I could...hmmm, no I need them inside too.

Sorry babies, you will just have to grin & bear .

Even GHA is hanging his head . Its not the sun, its the wind. B**** thing. I hate wind...I prefer gentle cooling breezes.

The cannas are sitting pretty in their swimming pool. I wonder if the brugs would like a swimming pool.

I could get one but it may be a bit too much water.

Anyone ever sit brug pots in water...?

Shaun, did you say somewhere that you had done this ?

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 23, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9017832

Wow loving the 7points on your Suaveolens Cestrum.

The Sun arrived with a bang here !, poor blooms all melting, even the ones that like the heat, I guess the Sun gave them a fright after all the grey wetness.
Too hot to do anything ...yes you can sit your brugs in a shallow tray of water in Summer (well in a normal Summer), just don't forget to remove them in the cold weather.

I hope all the cool climate babies will be ok, fingers crossed for everyone, funny to think that Melbourne has had more heat than Sydney, our dam here at Warragamba is 88% full from less than 30% -4 years ago. I wonder what Winter will bring ?
We expect high heat on Sunday.

I hate the wind most of all too Jean, it does so much damage.

Love the side by side thingy ...picture 1 mum (of Tintarella), Pic.2 Daddy ...pic three and it's baby ...Tintarella, Pic 4 looking like it's parents :-)

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2012
10:17 PM

Post #9017879

WOW! Those are BEAUTIFUL!

We've had 78 deg F weather the last couple of days...but our winter returns...43 Sat am. Will have to switch the AC over to heat!

Hope you are OK! Youngest granddaughter will be here for the weekend tomorrow! She always likes to know how you are!

We are fine!

Jeanne

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 23, 2012
11:54 PM

Post #9017893

Jean, watch out for Tantra...mine has buds at last...I was walking past, asking it why it won't flower and looked at a branch lower down and there was the bud. ...no Y's just a big bud...others are starting but way behind the chubby one.

The sphaeros don't seem to react to the heat at all, Chrissie...I don't doubt if they had buds they would drop them...but fortunately the cooler weather is their flowering time...so we are all doing well with them.
Tintarella looks very pretty...

Edited to say...Don't enlarge this pic it's out of focus...posted the wrong one.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2012 7:13 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 24, 2012
12:18 AM

Post #9017897

This one IS in focus..

Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2012
3:08 AM

Post #9017924

Jean your were mentioning about a pool for the brugs, My experience is that they can tolerate wet feet but not boggy soil when i had the plants in buckets i always had a brick or a raiser in there so that the pot was not on the bottom, it also creates a great place for the roots to develops also,
I would put them in water even if its a few days may be 1/4 up the pot as i stated in a eairler thread that if the root ball & soil are submerged it's just like drowning them and they find it hard like Humans to come back but they do a little slow

Crissy love {Love the side by side thingy ...picture 1 mum (of Tintarella), Pic.2 Daddy ...pic three and it's baby ...Tintarella, Pic 4 looking like it's parents }

Dianne & Jean hope both of you get some nice blooms on Tantra i have had about 10-15 and just coming in to bud for next flush

Hot today and im just coping adding to the thread
Have a good night guys
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 24, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9018528

Well, the brugs are not looking too bad so far. Plenty of leaves that will fall off after being sucked dry by the wind. The plants themselves are not too bad.
Another day today of more heat and most likely tomorrow as well.
I wont put my pots in water just in case they do get too much water in the pot.
The seedlings are standing up to the heat quite well , but then there is not as much plant exposed to the heat as in the large ones.
They are all in the shadehouse too which makes a difference.
If only I could roof the whole place with shadecloth...lol

So far, the buds are hanging on . I am hoping they are big enough not to drop.

I will pop out and check Tantra , Dianne. I havent looked under the leaves .

I have buds on the cuttings of GHA that I trimmed off the large plant. He flowers quickly when the pieces are from above the Y.
Much quicker than any of the others.
Lucas, If you are peeping in, both the aurea pieces have flowered now.
Chrissy, BB is putting out flowers after the mites ruined every leaf on the plant.
I will still be spraying as there are signs the mites are still around on a plant or two. I'll see if i can get it done before the heat or maybe late in the afternoon when the sun has gone over.
Waynes 'Giant' and Aztec Gold seem to be the two that cant shake the darn mite. I may just do as i did with 2 others and cut them back so they can get some fresh growth going.
Jean.

Jean.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

February 24, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9018685

Hi all!

Was busy, good to be back if briefly.

Dianne, my vulsas have not flowered, they haven't even Y'd.
My arborea had buds but they aborted in the heat. The flavas are going ok though, just quite slow.
I love your fasciated brug, interesting to see what happens there eh.

Jean, glad to hear it about the aureas, well done. Now does this aurea appear to be the same as GHA? You should try crossing them to find out. Your GHA cutting was going well until i forgot to water and it dried out and dropped leaves, coming back well now.
I thought I had another aurea, yellow/orange, obtained from the burbs... it seemed to have a darker orange flower than my other (common) one, but now I'm not so sure it may just be the position i had it growing in.. now I'm thinking it may well be the same as well...
Shaun you are going to be the Melbourne brug master once all these seedlings/cuttings come along, look forward to seeing them in all their glory.

37 degrees two days in a row at my place.. hard to keep the water up to the potted ones.. i only water at night so they actually get a chance to get a drink.
Also i noticed don't try fertilise (esp liquid) when it's above 30 degrees it seems to make deformed leaves, don't water the leaves before midday direct sun as it scorches..
cheers.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 24, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9018726

Lucas, with all the heat, I didnt get any pollen from your babies but I will try again next time they flower. To me they look exactly the same as GHA.

In regard to color on the aureas, I have 2 large plants off the original GHA cuttings. One is out in all weather and the other gets some afternoon shade under a tree. The colors vary greatly on both of them but are definitely darker , more orange tones in the sun. More shade and overcast days give very pale yellow.
My arboreas are flowering but they are on the veranda out of the sun.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 24, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9019064

good advice from Lucas.

A quick look around this morning (make hay while the sun shines) and boy it's shining today.
pic 1) Buck's Fizz (pale mode) 2) Aztec Gold (pale) 3) Buck's Fizz in the foreground, Aztec Gold in the background. (all in pale mode) very warm today in full on sun.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 24, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9019067

and

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2012
10:55 PM

Post #9019091

Lucas & Jean i have crossed Lucas's aure Yellow/Orange with aurea (Form) so i know that this is different, it's now narrowing down GHA, (form), Macedon & St kilda to see if these are all the same

Chrissy these Blooms are looking great you must be drying out a bit now with a few days of good weather, Hope it keeps up for you so that the whole growing season is not lost on your babies

Lucas welcome back for the brief moment that your here anyway, Hope studies are going well for you

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 25, 2012
2:06 AM

Post #9019115

Texasgal77 wrote:WOW! Those are BEAUTIFUL!

We've had 78 deg F weather the last couple of days...but our winter returns...43 Sat am. Will have to switch the AC over to heat!

Hope you are OK! Youngest granddaughter will be here for the weekend tomorrow! She always likes to know how you are!

We are fine!

Jeanne

Jeanne wonderful to hear from you and I am so glad your weather is being kind, let's hope it stays that way for you all, do say hello to the granddaughter and tell her the Elephant Poo Bandit sends her a big high five !
hugs chrissy :-)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 25, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9019675

Shaun, its very interesting to see how the aureas are going.
Where did your aurea 'form' come from ?
One would wonder where they all came from if there are differences.
Maybe imported under wrong names or just as noid plants..
They must have been around for many years to be spread over such a wide area.
I'm off to water my poor hot babies. Keep cool everyone.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 25, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9019788

I think it's becoming impossible to identify all the varieties of brugs now available, ever since people started both importing brug seeds and hybridising their own.

I wanted to show different types of blooms from my white suaveolens because they're so variable. Most are five pointers, but quite often the plant will throw six and seven pointers. The seven pointers are the most magnificent when they flare open. The last photo show the great variation in size: both blooms come from the same plant. (Although that small bloom is probably more unusual than a seven-pointer.)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 25, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9019824

What would we do without their fragrance ? the air was amazing around here last night.
A big surprise this morning ...grey sky and drizzling, what happened to the expected 38C ? if it does arrive it will be steam !
Pic 1) you all know what this is, pic 2) Crinoline, Pic 3) Giant x FFA seedling (chewed tendrils, tuning a sort of apricot/orange) ,Pic 4) seedling (Wayne's) ...sibling to Love Potion number 9-label says Love Potion number 9/10 is soon to open., pic 5) seedling. PP x ?.
Picture quality is bad but the drizzle drove me to work quickly, then get inside before finishing, as we now have rain.

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9019896

Jean, My aurea(form) cam to me in 2005-2006 from Alistair Meroo Meadow it was call Golden Kornet and late last year re-valuated and name changed
i also have an aurea from St Kilda that iv had for more the 15 years also but hacked back realy hard and took a trunk cutting below the "Y" and it looks like it's about to bloom this autumn

Cestrum Love the 7 Pointer and the description between flower sizes on the same bush is astounding but still lovely

All the blooms are looking great Chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 25, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9020025

chrissy100 wrote:

The coming year should be spectacular ...all those cold group seeds to follow ! they can fill in while we are hanging out for our warm group.

Actually I feel like it's the other way around: that these warm-climate seedlings are just the prelude to a spectacular explosion of cold-climate blooms to come in winter:-) I can't wait to see the results! If I had the right climate, I'd be growing as many of the coldies as I could manage.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 25, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9020087

Nice tendrils on that one cestrum ...how big is it ?

I think I might have a go at the coldies, if there is such a thing as a fragrant one, anyone got those kind of seeds ?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 25, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9020093

Shaun, if Alistair changed the name from Golden Kornet, what did he change it too?

Chrissy, I have some that have scented parents but you can't guarantee there will be perfume in the offspring...
One can only hope...It seems that the Arborea in the parents is the key...
Alan had some for sale that he thought would produce perfumed flowers, he might have some left on his Blog.

This message was edited Feb 26, 2012 2:15 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 25, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9020125

chrissy100 wrote:Nice tendrils on that one cestrum ...how big is it ?

Not big. Here's a relabelled photo I posted earlier. In fact, apart from Big Floppy Apricot,the flowers on most of my brug seedlings are not large.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 25, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9020139

Great comparison shot ...yes they are small, so is Tintarella, Aurea =small, guess they are mostly Aurea :-) .
Dianne I might wait and see if you get scented coldies.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 25, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9020179

Thanks Shaun. I remember there was a discussion on the aureas last year. Goldenes Kornett is only available overseas apparently .
Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9020191

Dianne,,
B 'Golden Kornet' info::::::
This one is a form of B. aurea which at one time I thought was Goldenes Kornett, but it is not. It has no cultivar name. from Alistair
so my aurea(form) =/miss named GK from Meroo Meadow

Q? what's the link to Alan's Bog

This message was edited Feb 26, 2012 4:07 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 25, 2012
10:07 PM

Post #9020216

There you go Shaun,
all will be revealed in Alistair's book. coming out fairly soon.

http://hurstwoodbrugmansia.blogspot.com.au/

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 25, 2012
11:10 PM

Post #9020236

Thanks Shaun...you could call it "Gold Cornet" and we would know that it was the one that looked like Goldenes Kornett...Does it have the long corolla teeth that Goldenes Kornett has?
Borrowed this pic from BGI...it's in a pale mode, but the teeth are very evident.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 26, 2012
12:34 AM

Post #9020251

Hi Brugnuts. Here's a question. Does anyone know what this brug is? I definitely know but am rather surprised at the colour. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 26, 2012
12:39 AM

Post #9020252

I can't say for sure colleen but it looks a bit like old Apricot,
Lots of Brugs open white and then change colour, how old are the blooms ?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 26, 2012
12:50 AM

Post #9020255

That's Glass House Angel for sure IMO. (GK-incorrect) sourced from Meroo.
The other Aurea (Shaun's) is the one Someone up south was selling (still is, I think) as GK. Wrong :)
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 26, 2012
12:51 AM

Post #9020256

You're right Chrissy. It is OSA. The first flower came out Friday and the rest came out yesterday and the last this morning. There is no perfume at all in any of the flowers. I will go out after dark and smell again. It has been really hot here but it hasn't even drooped in the heat. I am waiting for my lovely apricot blooms. Hope they come. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 26, 2012
1:05 AM

Post #9020258

If it has been very hot you will need some sort of lower temperature to get really good colour but I am sure they will colour up, best colour is about 26 day and about 18 and less at night. Humidity is a factor with the scent too. Give it a light spray in the morning.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2012
1:15 AM

Post #9020260

The 3 aureas in Question at the moment are
aurea (form)
GHA
Macedon aurea
i also have
Mel Bot aurea
St kilda aurea
Clochester Rd aurea
Hull Rd aurea
all of these i will have to try crossing with the 3 in question i think that St Kilda aurea is quite different and the most robust aurea in my collection

the GK that is in question is completely miss named in all of the places that it's being sold from.

Question Cestrum??? your Dr Seuss X. where did you obtain it from???you can Dmail me the answer if need be
i dot mine from up north about 12years ago and thought it was an Insignis

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 26, 2012
2:07 AM

Post #9020266

This is the real GK, Monika is the World Expert so her ID in this picture is correct.
To me it looks just like GHA but for the tendrils (longer).

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/3740/

Shaun has Dr S ...accepted by BGI so I assume that is correct, this is the one sold as GK from up North.
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/6818-drseussjpg/

Brilliant Orange (we know it as Buck's Fizz *via a seller in Victoria* not the correct name ) was from an overseas source and grown out here. It was registered as Brilliant Orange. Butter Bomb was also grown from an overseas seed.

As mentioned before when Alistair's book comes out we will know it all.

This message was edited Feb 26, 2012 9:07 PM

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

February 26, 2012
2:51 AM

Post #9020272

Nice aurea collection Shaun.

What are your thoughts on the Mel bot gardens aurea (B. lutea??)? When i was there i thought it has a slightly more pendulous bloom, but it have been conditions or something?

My OA had white blooms, the heat bleached them!
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9020291

well as we Know Lucas B.lutea what a crock
i only saw 1 flower on it and it did nook like it was looking to the ground more so then other aurea but it was only 1 flower.

Lucas can i send the plants to you this week???????????

Chrissy yes that's where i got the Dr Seuss from and it has been excepted by BGI gallery so confirmed
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

February 26, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9020860

DeadlyNight wrote:

Question Cestrum??? your Dr Seuss X. where did you obtain it from???you can Dmail me the answer if need be
i dot mine from up north about 12years ago and thought it was an Insignis

Dr Seuss X almost certainly came from a swap several years ago (on another local gardening board, either now defunct or virtually deserted) but I can't find a record of who it was from or under what name it was supplied. So sadly I just don't know. (But it was Alistair who identified it as Dr S from my photos.) Those bent-forward tendrils on your Dr S certainly are reminiscent of insignis. BTW, my Dr S X not an abundant flowerer at the best of times (compared with many others) but it needs more light than many brugs to give a decent flowering. So, while hot afternoon sun may not be ideal, definitely don't hide it in the shade.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 26, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9020912

I love the aureas and their perfume.
Here are a couple of pics of GHA and the 3rd pic is Lucas's aurea cutting.
You can see that GHA can have the longer tendrils like GK.
He does vary a lot depending on the weather as do so many of our brugs.

I am following your investigation of the aureas with great interest, Shaun.

Luckily we are getting our brug names pretty right on here, thanks to the work of Alistair and others.

I await with interest the flowering of the brugs I have with any aurea in them.
Just wish we had the beautiful Rothkirch out here.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 26, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9020938

How does that third Aurea compare to GHA ? Jean. The scent ?
GHA was so similar to GK, that it fooled Alistair for a while, he is an expert, so little wonder we think it is a look alike.
Lovely Pictures :-)

Last night I took this Picture at dusk (the scent was just wonderful) this is the Giant x FFA seedling ...so big I can't hold it and fit it all into the picture. My arms are too short.Texture is almost a chamois ...I could practically wash a car with it. If only it would lift those lazy tendrils. I guess they are exhausted from trying to untie themselves from those incredible knots. :-)

This message was edited Feb 27, 2012 9:01 AM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

February 26, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9020994

That looks familiar, Jean. :) but the same as GHA? who knows.. how does the scent compare?
Notice how the tendrils are shorter than the true o/s Golden Kornet..

re: mel bot gardens aurea/lutea... it may have been my imagination or the weather but i was sure the flower was somewhat more pendulous than the 'common' suburban aureas...
also are all pink suaveolens in the burbs Frosty Pink?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 26, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9020997

Chrissy , you need a forklift for that flower. Very large.

I found that Lucas's aurea was just about the same as GHA with its perfume.
A bit hard to tell exactly as I had to get the pot half up off the ground to smell it.
I'll know better when it grows high enough so I dont have to bend down.

My little Maya on the veranda seems to be liking the heat.. I think she has grown an extra 4" in the last day or so.

I went around all the brugs earlier and found that most of the buds have fallen off.
PP has large buds so is okay under the cypress tree as is Mango Cornet.
BB has 2 buds left, one of the knightiis has a couple and I am hoping the last one on my OE stays on but I think it will drop , being small.
Bring on the Autumn cool. I want blooms.
Jean

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 26, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9021127

Very nice pics, Jean...thanks for posting them...I was wondering how much like GK, Shaun's aurea was...
Comparing Shaun's in your pic with this BGI 2007 pic of Goldenes Kornett in a pale mode, and you sure can see the likeness and how it would fool anyone.

Chrissy that is a big flower...what does the perfume smell like?

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

February 26, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9021163

Thanx for the comparison photo Dianne, but that was my plant!
The one that looks like GHA...
The one I sent Shaun was one i found in the burbs and thought may be different as it seemed to turn darker orange to my eye than the former so I had called it Yellow/Orange, but now i am unsure of its genuineness (i.e. whether it is a different clone) it might have been conditions etc. but Shaun managed to cross it with his aurea (form) I believe from reading through now.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 26, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9021175

Lucas the GHA can be very orange in the Autumn and almost ivory in the big heat, so don't discount it. :)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 26, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9021182

Sorry Dianne yes the seedling smells a bit aurea but with floral overtone, another different scent, lovely ! never ceases to amaze me the variety of different perfumes from all the various Brugs, this alone is quite enthralling.
It's very darned hot now the sun is out and I am melting in the steam. Whew !
Wayne's latest one is blooming, sweet tiny little thing,very very cute little yellow/apricot! I will take pictures later (battery is flat) and it's too hot !
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 26, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9021236

Yes Dianne, you made a booboo. Shaun's hasnt flowered here yet. It was one from Lucas.
Just to show how GHA can vary. Heres an orange bloom from April 2010.
The next is in yellow mode March 2010. ( no, he doesnt always darken later )
Next, same plant with new flush in May 2010.
Certainly , he can have all shades at the one time too.
I intend putting all the aureas together when they get to good size. Should be lovely when they all flower together.
Jean.

This message was edited Feb 27, 2012 1:50 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 26, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9021312

Bugger...

Shaun will you please post a pic of your Aurea from Alistair...
Sorry Lucas, but yours looks just like GK too...

Neither GHA or Macedon have been as pale as that here...how confusing...

I know Jean, it must be my glasses...

Tiny, Chrissy...that sounds interesting...
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9021338

Here are a pic's of most of the aurea i have and there similarities
1: aurea (form)
2: aurea (St Kilda)
3: aurea Yellow/Orange [Lucas]
4: GHA
5: aurea (Colchester Rd)
this is a great way to check them out at a glance

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

February 26, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9021350

Thanx for the pic, nice collection Shaun. It does make it easier to compare.
The 'form' and Yellow/Orange seem to have shorter tendrils.. also the form seems to have non recurved tendrils?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 26, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9021355

Thanks Shaun, that's a great way to display them, so we can compare...
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9021356

Dianne this is the 1 i got from Alistair
I hope that this helps you out

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 26, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9021361

Very good lucas ...everyone, when trying to compare blooms try to take notice of the calyx (sleeve) neck area. Many Brugs can look almost identical if only looking at the face. Colours change, reflex changes, this is why it is difficult to tell from pictures, to my eye the calyx of no 2 looks different but as stated I can't see the neck and calyx very well.
There are two confirmed different Aureas here ...spot them :-)

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 26, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9021372

Love this way of comparing pics.
Okay Chrissy, I agree , the calyx on that no. 2 ( aurea St Kilda ) looks like it doesnt have the short multiple points like the other aureas.
A bit hard to tell though as one cant see the other calyxes on that plant properly.
Chrissy, all your pics look like the same plant to me. I must be missing something.
Try these calyxes for comparison.
I wont tell you which they are ..
Jean

This message was edited Feb 27, 2012 3:50 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 26, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9021384

No 2 and no 3 of my shots have been id ed and given to me as Chloe (a hybrid aurea) ... it turns a copper toffee colour in the cooler times. There is a query as to it being the Golden Butter ... GHA was once sold as Yellow Versicolor (we know that is wrong-by Diggers in the 80's).

Can't tell by yours Jean because the calyx edge is damaged ...all looking the same in their many faces.
First three are GHA and last two sorry posted it twice by mistake ...is Chloe, different tones to my eyes.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 26, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9021395

Chrissy where did Chloe originate ?
She looks just like the others except maybe her corolla is not as rounded on the segments as the others.
Is this the difference or are there other things that make her unique ?
Do you have a face on shot to see her better ?
Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9021400

Jean she looks different to the aurea's you can see the narrow part of the bloom and the segment that's rounder is more then that of the aurea that we have the color is softer and the green on the throat is lighter also
but this is 1 we should be trying to find out if its a aurea that we have already or not
juts by some 1 trying to cross it with the aurea collection that is being built up in this group
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2012
10:22 PM

Post #9021401

Chrissy we have now changed climate zones we have what you have had & visa versa
it's been pissing down for about 1 1/3 hours now and this means the plants will get a good watering

hope the rain has stopped up there for you

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 26, 2012
10:40 PM

Post #9021407

Starting up again (the rain) ...I received Chloe from Alistair, I know it is an Aurea Hybrid because the person who made her told me it was his (I can't remember who it was because it was on FB and those threads go off into mid air somewhere.)

This is Wayne's little cutie massive flush ! not sure what it is ...seedling sibling to Love Potion No 9 or LP no.9 because the ld says Love Potion number 9/10, so I await his answer.
I took these pics in the darkening and now spitting sky ...dark out there, we are due a huge storm so I wanted to show you just in case it trashes the blooms. Tiny long thin yellow tube with a teensy flounce at the bottom. Megga quantity of blooms.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 26, 2012
10:43 PM

Post #9021409

Took one this morning I forgot ...not open but you can see the colour, I am embarrassed about the weeds but can't help it in all the rain. :(

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 27, 2012
12:20 AM

Post #9021431

Chrissy, she is lovely. Wayne certainly has a magic touch with his breeding.

Shaun , did you steal some of my rain ??
We got absolutely nothing.

Just been out talking to the brugs. Most buds have fallen off.
GHA 1 & 2 are the only ones with a large flush coming.
The second GHA plant that died down in the bad frost year before last , grew 2 new trunks from the roots.
I just noticed that the two trunks have buds coming out on the trunks below the Ys. There were definitely no Ys down the base as the two trunks grew straight up from the roots. They are both about 7' tall and lots of buds above the Ys , but I just noticed all the buds below the Ys.
Is this unusual or has it happened to other brugs. The first GHA plant has none below the Ys.

Each bud is in one of those new growths the brugs put out up the trunks.
Could it be that even though the growths are small up the trunks, there are the genes embedded for these growths to form their future Ys, so allowing bud formation ?
If so , why hasnt the other plant done the same thing ?
Jean.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

February 27, 2012
1:39 AM

Post #9021438

Jean, my aurea that looks like GHA does precisely that regularly.
Interestingly the flowers that develop are sometimes slightly smaller than the norm above the Y.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 27, 2012
1:59 AM

Post #9021441

Ok sorted, this is Love Potion number 9 ...at Twilight just before the storm ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 27, 2012
2:04 AM

Post #9021442

In the twilight garden ...riders of the storm :)

Never seen TT white before ...the last two are Earth Angel x Pink Smitty never seen them open white either, must be the heat.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 27, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9022201

Thats interesting Lucas.
I was thinking about it last night.
I wonder if it is because the original branch I got was above the Y.
All the genes in that branch would be saying flower, I am above the Y .
Was your aurea grown from an above Y piece ?

Chrissy both my GHA plants and yours were all from the same branch so does yours do this at all ?

Heres a couple of pics of the GHA plants.

pic 1... the twin trunks & buds below the Ys.
pic 2...closeup of same.
pic 3...cutting from GHA late last year, has already flowered and has lots more buds.
Only about 18"tall.
pic 4...The other GHA with lots of buds after its hard prune last year. Already had one flush this month.

Seems to be a thing with these aureas , to bloom quickly as cuttings.
Be nice if all the brugs would bloom so quickly after planting cuttings.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 27, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9022240

If the above the Y cutting has cuttings taken from it it will produce blooms like that and any cuttings taken from that original cutting will also do the same thing. A good bloomer is a good bloomer. :-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 27, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9022280

Great discussions, people...I can't contribute to the aurea chat, because they all look the same to me, unless there is a glaring difference...such as Ivoire... Chloe looks different but they way they all change colour, who knows?
Thanks for the pics of Alistair's...Shaun...your garden must smell wonderful with all of the aureas in flower.
Here is something I can tell the diff with...look at the buds..

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 27, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9022371

Whoa that is some scary looking bud Dianne, looks much like my Buddha's Hand Citron bud before it opens.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 27, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9022526

Dianne. I still want to know what monster food you fed that plant...lol
cant wait to see the flower. Probably be a demure little lady ...like Beauty & the Beast.

Chrissy, I knew about flowering on the above Y cuttings on the usual type of cuttings but I was curious as to the reason this was happening on growth straight off the old roots.
There must be a genetic message in the plant cells to tell them to do it.
I havent seen this on any other brugs here, so wanted to know if it does happen regularly on this type of growth.
If so , one could happily cut everything off in winter and let the new shoots come off the roots for earlier and more blooms.
I have about 5 that were burnt right off in the severe frost year before last . They all have new trunks from the roots but no sign of any trunk buds.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 27, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9022568

A trunk cutting will throw vegetative shoots that need to mature into the flowering wood.
A flowering wood cutting will throw flowering shoots that won't need to get up to the seedling mother plant size in order to bloom.
A trunk cutting with a Y on it does not have to make flowering wood because it already has flowering wood attached, but I think any sprouts from that would need to grow up to the seedling mother size to bloom.
I guess unless you grow a seed yourself you may not know what your mother plant height is.
GHA is prolific bloomer so I guess it just blooms very eagerly compared to others.
I am no expert, I can only speak from my own experience.

I forgot to say that above the Y bits keep making Y upon Y in the blooming canopy (edited to put that in) :-)

This message was edited Feb 28, 2012 1:12 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 27, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9022634

Too hot this morning when I took these pics ...washing out colours,still pretty.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 27, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9022679

I am a bit concerned about that large bud, the "travelling top" has sort of jammed it in, while it goes past..I don't know where it is going but it grows so quickly that I don't know where it will be tomorrow.
It might just go around and around...the other buds are going in all directions.
As you can see it has started to go up past the bud.

It's so nice to see Ivoires' spidery corolla teeth coming out from their calyx...the bush is full of them again...I really will get a kick out of seeing the first flower in one of your gardens..
Dear little Zabaglione is starting to flush and her perfume is wonderful..
The Tantra bud is a whopper and the Maya buds are going well.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9022734

All of your brugs are just heavenly! Ours are just starting to put out new shoots and leaf out from our winter. Can't wait to see them in bloom again!

Until then I will enjoy all of yours!

Jeanne

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 27, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9022753

Thanks Jeanne, we hope that you have a gentle Spring and a not too hot Summer...better to enjoy your Brugs...post some on here if you get the chance...
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9022754

Thanks, we will need your prayers! We could not handle another year like last year! Heaven forbid!

We've had an extremely gentle winter, thank goodness! At least last summer was a quiet one, hurricane wise, so, maybe we'll go into the time period that will last for several years... Between Hurricanes, freezes, droughts, we really could use a peaceful summer!

Chrissy, I did see your sweet message posted earlier! Thanks, we still laugh as we think about your story!

I also want to thank you for your comfort and wisdom during this past year. It has meant everything.

Jeanne

This message was edited Feb 28, 2012 12:23 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 27, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9022793

Jeanne I hope you saw my message I posted earlier for your grand Daughter :-)
I hope your weather is kinder this coming season.
Evidently our dam Warragamba will spill over in the oncoming rain event, we are high up but there are so many people living in the Valley lower down past the dam ...a bit frightening, we have had massive flooding almost everywhere on the Eastern half of Australia and fires to the West. All we can all do is hang on and hope for the best.
You take care now.

Too right Dianne I can't wait to see Ivoire, and all the floppy Apricots and pink doubles from cestrum, Pink Sweetie of course too, I have so many tall Y'd and un Y'd plants happening. Wayne's G x FFA seedlings too, one of them is quite scary in it's size, I can barely get past it in the cottage garden mud garden. Some Y'd ones have lost their buds and I almost forgot to say that Fernado is showing tiny buds again, sigh ...if only the weather would give us a bit of sun (I am melting right now) Fifi has another bloom too, it is fascinating to watch which Brug enjoys the heat, and which one hates it, the poor little Arborea bloom is hating it and is very brave to be blooming at all in these sultry wet conditions.
I am looking forward to that crazy bud of yours opening, and yes Zabaglione is adorable !

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 27, 2012
10:05 PM

Post #9022810

No rain, more sun , brug buds fell off.
I'm going to go sit in the fernery and discuss things with the ferns.
Jean

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

February 27, 2012
10:06 PM

Post #9022811

Yes Jean they can flower below the Y, even if you cut the Y off and leave a stump!! I mean suckers/watershoots, Not above the Y cuttings. yes directly off the dormant buds on the stem (so it has not yet branched and formed it's own Y). I have only seen it with aureas and Knightii (the latter only once) aureas can have many flowers from this region, flowers are often miniature.

Dianne that is just crazy... i hope it doesn't revert, hopefully you can propagate it from cuttings later and make a new cultivar lol

This message was edited Feb 27, 2012 10:18 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 27, 2012
10:16 PM

Post #9022814

Could it be that all GHA and Knightii were originally from above Y cuttings I wonder ...after all every single one could all be from the same original cutting ...these are ancient Brugs compared to later hybrids. Could it be just that simple ? Poor Antique Brugs :)

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

February 27, 2012
10:24 PM

Post #9022819

I mean flowering below the Y from suckers/watershoots from underground... even if the Y is removed.
Also I just remembered... last season I has a sanguinea sucker come up from the trunk of an old plant, grow for like 10cms and Y and flower, the flower was bigger than the stem, it snapped off lol.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2012
10:27 PM

Post #9022822

Chrissy, I did see your sweet message! Thanks! We still laugh at your story!

I also wanted to tell you how much I appreciated your comfort and wisdom during this past year, We are all doing better as we approach this spring. We are looking forward to it and all the blessings of the new flowers blooming!

Jeanne
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 28, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9023445

Thanks Lucas. Its interesting to know more about our brugs behaviour. I will be on the watch when I cut them back later in the year.
I may try a trunk cutting from this particular plant and see what it does
Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9023671

it looks like 'Culebra' is going to Bloom for me again 2 years in a row Yippee
and i think this is OA but i have it labelled as candida 'Peach' so just waiting on it to fully open to ID correctly

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 28, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9024018

Shaun, go and build a barrier to protect those Culebra buds...I can't wait to see the flowers...
You are the first person in my time here to have one flower, except Alistair of course...double yippee..

This message was edited Feb 29, 2012 2:40 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 29, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9024783

Doing great Shaun.
I love the leaves so the flowers are an extra.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 1, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9026198

Miserable here ...too awful,
Inches of water everywhere and lots worse to come,
I don't like being a wet blanket so I am off for a while,
Dianne could you start the next thread please with your Alien baby,
I am sure everyone is watching it's progress with great interest.
I hope everyone is safe from the floods.
Have a great weekend if you can.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 1, 2012
10:54 PM

Post #9026639

Come on over to the new thread.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1244825/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 218 Jan 22, 2014 3:49 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America