Daily Pics 143

Memphis, TN

If you are just joining us, be sure to check out some really lovely shots on our last thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1230507/

Show us what you're seeing day-to-day in your "neck of the woods," as we say here in the South. Nature, old cars, the sea, architecture and more....we like to see it all!

"Looking forward to Spring..."

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for starting the new thread, Miss Mary ... lovely photo there!

Here are some daffodils from my garden this morning ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Dinu, thanks for the information on the camera. One day after I'm done paying for my kids college I'll be able to buy my dream camera. Until then I'll just have to enjoy all the beautiful shots everyone here takes.

Here are my Monarch caterpillars the last day before they went off to pupate. My 100 cherry tomatoes are really doing great...I count over 50 now. My pink strawberry blooms...Fragoo.

I think spring is here in Central Florida to stay.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

GREAT cat shots, sunkissed!

Tomatoes? Already? Wow ... I won't even be putting in seed for mine before mid-March! Sweet strawberries!

Memphis, TN

Sunkissed, those are wonderful cat shots! I hope to see lots of those this year....

I went to Dixon Gardens and took in some early Spring beauty today. Last week, we dipped back into the 20s a couple of times and it did a little damage here and there. This is typically very early for Spring to spring in Memphis, so I'm trying to get out and enjoy it....just in case.....

1. Paper Bush
2. Daffodils
3. Hellebore
4. Kale

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

MissMary very beautiful shots. Is the Kale the same that gets eaten? I've never seen a plant of it. Love the bee in the photo too. Daffodils are so pretty, they like the cooler weather and don't do well here.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Swell Bee capture, Miss Mary! And, what a gorgeous variety of Hellebore! Sunkissed, I don't think ornamental kale is meant for eating, although I've never tried it!

Spring is springing at my community garden plot ... even though the weather people tell us a cold front from Alaska is on it's way ... we've barely had any winter to speak of ... so the first of the Lovage is sprouting up (a sure sign of spring to me), there are blossoms on the fava beans (really early), and narcissus abound ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, I almost forgot, the Acacia tree on Hutchinson Avenue is in its full glory about now ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Memphis, TN

Oh, my goodness! That Acacia tree is a sight to behold!

Sunkissed, I'm not sure but I think Jubilada may be right about the Kale. I really want to plant some later this year so I'll have a little more color to sustain me during the Winter. I'll have to learn a little more about it myself!

I went to the garden center yesterday and they had that Kale plant. They are really striking, first time I've even seen it in a garden center here. I didn't buy any though. In fact I left not buying a single thing...a first for me. ☺

Jubilada that Acacia tree is gorgeous!

I think winter is creeping in a bit late for everyone from what I see on the weather reports. We had a few cool days the last couple with some winds that got up to 50+. Knocked over my container tomato plant and it is in a heavy clay pot. DH made sure that won't happen again.

Well not only do I have Monarch cats, but some Gulf Frits also eating at my passiflora, never saw any last season. So glad they are back.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

1. Coromandal Marsh Dart - a tiny damselfly had caught some insect and is feeding on it like we do!
2. I'd caption this one as 'Bee behinds'! Taken at the pond - they were doing something on that hyacinth plant.
3. Root system of hyacinth.

Thumbnail by Dinu Thumbnail by Dinu Thumbnail by Dinu
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Sunkissed, lovely Gulf Frits captures!

Dinu, I swear, you take the most interesting, exotic, and unusual shots. Simply adore those "bee behinds"!

PERTH, Australia

Beautiful shots, everyone. Thank you for starting a new thread, Miss Mary.

Here are another couple of feather on the water pix.

Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK
Memphis, TN

Margaret, those water shot are fantastic! I love the soothing colors and designs. Look at the feather reflection in the second one!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Margaret, those feather reflections are really special! ... abstract and otherworldly both ... wow!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

It's March already! Here are some springtime pics from my walk yesterday ... flowering tree blooms and daffodils and my poor little old orchid ...

PERTH, Australia

Thanks, Miss Mary and Jubi. Jubi, your blooms are beautiful. I have the exact same orchid. I just repotted it the other day to see if I can get it through the winter.

Just wonderful, everybody, such great photos. Dinu just left you a comment on the back lit photos. You do take the most interesting photos. Margaret, great shots of the water ripples, takes you right in. Jub wonderful seeing spring blooming in California, my home state....I love daffodils.

Spring is busting out in my garden, love this time of year!

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Litchfield Park, AZ

Wow, Jubilada, that is a beautiful bloom on the tree. Such an unusual color.
Sunkissed, I am jealous of your tomatoes. I have the hardest time with them. Looked at a plant at the nursery today for new plants and the cost more than the harvest I would get. I know tomatoes taste 10 times better than from the store, but .... I guess the farmers market solves that.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

This is not a flower, scenery or anything related to garden, but it is a bulb! This is one of the few that may have survived time, though only 10-15 years, because the famous company closed down. Mysore Lamps was the name. It was famous for quite a long time for quality lights! This is a 25 Watt bulb.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Memphis, TN

Wow, that's quite a token, Dinu! Too bad bulbs like that aren't made anymore!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Yes, HMM. They are made, but the govt. wants to slowly shift to Compact Fluorescent Lights - energy efficient ones but initial cost high. I still have it in some places where we often go and come in a jiffy, because these bulbs can take this frequent 'off-on' thing better than CFLs. A few companies are still making bulbs.

My daughter took this picture last month and I noticed this comparison! It looked like Mother Teresa to me. Am sure you have heard of this great saint.

The second pic is of a tiny damselfly. It is so slender that we cannot notice its flight. My FZ8 has done well I must say.

Thumbnail by Dinu Thumbnail by Dinu
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Sunkissed, lovely shots from your spring garden! Dinu, once again you astound and amaze ... although must say that Mother Teresa "comparison" seems a bit of a stretch to me ...

From my garden yesterday ... blueberry blossoms, cropped; calendula with little bug,cropped (not as good as Dinu's bug shots, I know); a frilly pansy; and, some rose geranium flowers, cropped ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Memphis, TN

Sorry -- goofed up on this one. I'll re-post.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2012 1:07 AM

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

Oh, those blueberry blossoms are so cute, Jubilada. They look like little pantaloons!

It sure is nice to see Springy colors coming out now, even though it is technically still winter...
Here are some shots from my visit to Dixon Gardens today.

1. Spirea with Narcissus in the background
2. Tulip
3. Red Buckeye buds
4. Tulip ('Orca'?)
5. ??

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

Well, I'm having quite a time tonight! The first post messed up entirely and one of the photos (#3) didn't show up on the next one. Okay....trying again!

1. Red Buckeye buds
2. Daffodils
3. Rosemary
4. Crocus

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Lovely bunch of flowers, Miss Mary ... very nice Rosemary capture!

Here are some flowers and stuff from me ...

1. First Gerbera Blooms in my yard
2. Pansies in a pot by my porch
3. Bench at Gamble Gardens
4. Camellia at Gamble Gardens
5. Tulips at Gamble Gardens

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

And a few more ...

1. On the way to Gamble Gardens, couldn't resist this branch painted red and stuck in a pot ... just too, too je ne sais quoi ...
2. Little saucer magnolia in Gamble Gardens
3. forsythia x intermedia, "Spring Glory Golden Bells" (that's what it said on the sign!) ...

Miss Mary lovely photos, and thanks for posting what they are. I love seeing what is growing in other areas. I have some spira but it never looks that good, and I have yet to see flowers on my rosemary bush.

Jubilada, lovely shots, the red branch in the pot actually is pretty neat. Something of interest when you don't have any flowers growing.

Dinu...you are always giving us a show with your interesting photos. ☺

Some kind of bug, not sure what, Close of a Cuban anole, Green anole, woodpecker getting her nest ready in a dead branch on our oak tree, close up of my Coral Honeysuckle vine against the bright blue sky.

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

1. Green Bee Eaters were seen hovering in the morning and coming back to the Neem tree to sit and relish the breakfast. I was facing the morning sun and so the birds are silhouetted.

2. Crow quenching thirst from the birdbath.

3. Tiles and hibiscus above my scooter shed.

4. I had put some wood dust [from the carpenter's shavings] into the hot water boiler. It was not burning properly and I blew with a pipe and I found some nice cinders flying! I thought it was nice to see how it looks in still. Camera in right hand, blow-pipe in left hand and blowing with the mouth into the pipe and clicking at the same time!!

5. Some random bokehs from a tree.

Hope you enjoy these random shots from my January folder. I also hope they are not repeats as I have not taken much recently. Have taken a few, but still in the camera.

Thumbnail by Dinu Thumbnail by Dinu Thumbnail by Dinu Thumbnail by Dinu Thumbnail by Dinu
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Aha, Dinu, a small part of #4 was your "guess what this is" picture, and now we know!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Sunkissed, love that red bug on the green leaf! And those anoles are pretty cute, too!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Ahhha! Jubilada, you are jubilant about your memory! Well done my dear friend....... to remind me of the repetition! ;)

Most recent shots now.
1. My favourite blue banded bee, again.
2 A crow was perching there and I kept the morning moon [waxing] as its halo.
3. I don't know why this rain lily is up. There's been no rain, except from my water bucket! Someone has confused it. Only one is up! April Fool's day is nearing!

Dinu

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I have an old Sony 4.1 mega pixels and only a 3X zoom. But it does pretty well with close ups. Let's see what I can find.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Dinu, that blue banded bee is so cool! Love it!

Woodspirit, those are really beautiful pink brugmansias!

From my walk today, a few flowers in the neighborhood ... and the church that was in the movie "Harold and Maude" ...

1. Azalea bush, and yes, that's the true color.
2. Crab Apple Tree in blossom
3. "Harold and Maude" Church
4. Lavatera
5. An Iris

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Memphis, TN

Woodspirit1, that Brug is gorgeous! What a nice shot!

Dinu, you really have an eye for interesting things. I especially like the crow silhouetted by the moon in the background!

Jubilada, that Azalea's color is delightful -- I wouldn't mind having a few of those! The Lavatera is so pretty. I don't believe I've ever seen one before.

1. I have mounds of this little weed in one of my beds. Actually, I don't mind it so much. It's a pretty little wildflower and can be yanked up easily if need be.
2. Cherry Trees in bloom in Memphis
3. More Cherry Trees

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

1. A bee had been caught up in a spider's web. This is what remained after the owner's lunch.

2. This man has picked up fuel [wood] for himself from somewhere. They are from a coconut tree.

3. Schoolgirls going to attend their annual exams. They use a clipboard on which they have to answer on paper given by the school.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I wish our schools would go to uniforms. The constant problem of kids wanted the latest fashions is difficult for those with low income and the kids are embarressed of they wear Hand-Me-Downs. It's ridiculous how much time is spent here on things that don't matter.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

HelloMM, tell me are those Cherry blooms real? That fence! Ooooh!

Memphis, TN

Yes, Dinu, they are real. I could hardly believe my eyes. It was like being surrounded by fluttering snowballs!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.