Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Photos: Daily Pics 143

Communities > Forums > Photos
bookmark
Forum: PhotosReplies: 196, Views: 1,481
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

February 19, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9012480

If you are just joining us, be sure to check out some really lovely shots on our last thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1230507/

Show us what you're seeing day-to-day in your "neck of the woods," as we say here in the South. Nature, old cars, the sea, architecture and more...we like to see it all!

"Looking forward to Spring..."

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9012489

Thanks for starting the new thread, Miss Mary ... lovely photo there!

Here are some daffodils from my garden this morning ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 20, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9012885

Dinu, thanks for the information on the camera. One day after I'm done paying for my kids college I'll be able to buy my dream camera. Until then I'll just have to enjoy all the beautiful shots everyone here takes.

Here are my Monarch caterpillars the last day before they went off to pupate. My 100 cherry tomatoes are really doing great...I count over 50 now. My pink strawberry blooms...Fragoo.

I think spring is here in Central Florida to stay.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 20, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9013163

GREAT cat shots, sunkissed!

Tomatoes? Already? Wow ... I won't even be putting in seed for mine before mid-March! Sweet strawberries!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

February 21, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9015417

Sunkissed, those are wonderful cat shots! I hope to see lots of those this year...

I went to Dixon Gardens and took in some early Spring beauty today. Last week, we dipped back into the 20s a couple of times and it did a little damage here and there. This is typically very early for Spring to spring in Memphis, so I'm trying to get out and enjoy it...just in case...

1. Paper Bush
2. Daffodils
3. Hellebore
4. Kale

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 22, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9015545

MissMary very beautiful shots. Is the Kale the same that gets eaten? I've never seen a plant of it. Love the bee in the photo too. Daffodils are so pretty, they like the cooler weather and don't do well here.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9019971

Swell Bee capture, Miss Mary! And, what a gorgeous variety of Hellebore! Sunkissed, I don't think ornamental kale is meant for eating, although I've never tried it!

Spring is springing at my community garden plot ... even though the weather people tell us a cold front from Alaska is on it's way ... we've barely had any winter to speak of ... so the first of the Lovage is sprouting up (a sure sign of spring to me), there are blossoms on the fava beans (really early), and narcissus abound ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9019974

Oh, I almost forgot, the Acacia tree on Hutchinson Avenue is in its full glory about now ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

February 25, 2012
10:40 PM

Post #9020224

Oh, my goodness! That Acacia tree is a sight to behold!

Sunkissed, I'm not sure but I think Jubilada may be right about the Kale. I really want to plant some later this year so I'll have a little more color to sustain me during the Winter. I'll have to learn a little more about it myself!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9020440

I went to the garden center yesterday and they had that Kale plant. They are really striking, first time I've even seen it in a garden center here. I didn't buy any though. In fact I left not buying a single thing...a first for me. ☺

Jubilada that Acacia tree is gorgeous!

I think winter is creeping in a bit late for everyone from what I see on the weather reports. We had a few cool days the last couple with some winds that got up to 50+. Knocked over my container tomato plant and it is in a heavy clay pot. DH made sure that won't happen again.

Well not only do I have Monarch cats, but some Gulf Frits also eating at my passiflora, never saw any last season. So glad they are back.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 28, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9023136

1. Coromandal Marsh Dart - a tiny damselfly had caught some insect and is feeding on it like we do!
2. I'd caption this one as 'Bee behinds'! Taken at the pond - they were doing something on that hyacinth plant.
3. Root system of hyacinth.

Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9023212

Sunkissed, lovely Gulf Frits captures!

Dinu, I swear, you take the most interesting, exotic, and unusual shots. Simply adore those "bee behinds"!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

February 28, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9024076

Beautiful shots, everyone. Thank you for starting a new thread, Miss Mary.

Here are another couple of feather on the water pix.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

February 28, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #9024148

Margaret, those water shot are fantastic! I love the soothing colors and designs. Look at the feather reflection in the second one!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 29, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9024642

Margaret, those feather reflections are really special! ... abstract and otherworldly both ... wow!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9027485

It's March already! Here are some springtime pics from my walk yesterday ... flowering tree blooms and daffodils and my poor little old orchid ...

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

March 2, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9027525

Thanks, Miss Mary and Jubi. Jubi, your blooms are beautiful. I have the exact same orchid. I just repotted it the other day to see if I can get it through the winter.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 3, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9028024

Just wonderful, everybody, such great photos. Dinu just left you a comment on the back lit photos. You do take the most interesting photos. Margaret, great shots of the water ripples, takes you right in. Jub wonderful seeing spring blooming in California, my home state...I love daffodils.

Spring is busting out in my garden, love this time of year!

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

March 3, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9028572

Wow, Jubilada, that is a beautiful bloom on the tree. Such an unusual color.
Sunkissed, I am jealous of your tomatoes. I have the hardest time with them. Looked at a plant at the nursery today for new plants and the cost more than the harvest I would get. I know tomatoes taste 10 times better than from the store, but ... I guess the farmers market solves that.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 4, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9029326

This is not a flower, scenery or anything related to garden, but it is a bulb! This is one of the few that may have survived time, though only 10-15 years, because the famous company closed down. Mysore Lamps was the name. It was famous for quite a long time for quality lights! This is a 25 Watt bulb.

Thumbnail by Dinu

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 4, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9029383

Wow, that's quite a token, Dinu! Too bad bulbs like that aren't made anymore!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 4, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9029475

Yes, HMM. They are made, but the govt. wants to slowly shift to Compact Fluorescent Lights - energy efficient ones but initial cost high. I still have it in some places where we often go and come in a jiffy, because these bulbs can take this frequent 'off-on' thing better than CFLs. A few companies are still making bulbs.

My daughter took this picture last month and I noticed this comparison! It looked like Mother Teresa to me. Am sure you have heard of this great saint.

The second pic is of a tiny damselfly. It is so slender that we cannot notice its flight. My FZ8 has done well I must say.

Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9030763

Sunkissed, lovely shots from your spring garden! Dinu, once again you astound and amaze ... although must say that Mother Teresa "comparison" seems a bit of a stretch to me ...

From my garden yesterday ... blueberry blossoms, cropped; calendula with little bug,cropped (not as good as Dinu's bug shots, I know); a frilly pansy; and, some rose geranium flowers, cropped ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 6, 2012
11:00 PM

Post #9032889

Sorry -- goofed up on this one. I'll re-post.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2012 1:07 AM

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 6, 2012
11:04 PM

Post #9032891

Oh, those blueberry blossoms are so cute, Jubilada. They look like little pantaloons!

It sure is nice to see Springy colors coming out now, even though it is technically still winter...
Here are some shots from my visit to Dixon Gardens today.

1. Spirea with Narcissus in the background
2. Tulip
3. Red Buckeye buds
4. Tulip ('Orca'?)
5. ??

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary      Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 6, 2012
11:12 PM

Post #9032897

Well, I'm having quite a time tonight! The first post messed up entirely and one of the photos (#3) didn't show up on the next one. Okay...trying again!

1. Red Buckeye buds
2. Daffodils
3. Rosemary
4. Crocus

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9040315

Lovely bunch of flowers, Miss Mary ... very nice Rosemary capture!

Here are some flowers and stuff from me ...

1. First Gerbera Blooms in my yard
2. Pansies in a pot by my porch
3. Bench at Gamble Gardens
4. Camellia at Gamble Gardens
5. Tulips at Gamble Gardens

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9040325

And a few more ...

1. On the way to Gamble Gardens, couldn't resist this branch painted red and stuck in a pot ... just too, too je ne sais quoi ...
2. Little saucer magnolia in Gamble Gardens
3. forsythia x intermedia, "Spring Glory Golden Bells" (that's what it said on the sign!) ...

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9040675

Miss Mary lovely photos, and thanks for posting what they are. I love seeing what is growing in other areas. I have some spira but it never looks that good, and I have yet to see flowers on my rosemary bush.

Jubilada, lovely shots, the red branch in the pot actually is pretty neat. Something of interest when you don't have any flowers growing.

Dinu...you are always giving us a show with your interesting photos. ☺

Some kind of bug, not sure what, Close of a Cuban anole, Green anole, woodpecker getting her nest ready in a dead branch on our oak tree, close up of my Coral Honeysuckle vine against the bright blue sky.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 13, 2012
11:58 PM

Post #9042000

1. Green Bee Eaters were seen hovering in the morning and coming back to the Neem tree to sit and relish the breakfast. I was facing the morning sun and so the birds are silhouetted.

2. Crow quenching thirst from the birdbath.

3. Tiles and hibiscus above my scooter shed.

4. I had put some wood dust [from the carpenter's shavings] into the hot water boiler. It was not burning properly and I blew with a pipe and I found some nice cinders flying! I thought it was nice to see how it looks in still. Camera in right hand, blow-pipe in left hand and blowing with the mouth into the pipe and clicking at the same time!!

5. Some random bokehs from a tree.

Hope you enjoy these random shots from my January folder. I also hope they are not repeats as I have not taken much recently. Have taken a few, but still in the camera.

Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9042315

Aha, Dinu, a small part of #4 was your "guess what this is" picture, and now we know!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9042349

Sunkissed, love that red bug on the green leaf! And those anoles are pretty cute, too!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 14, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9042480

Ahhha! Jubilada, you are jubilant about your memory! Well done my dear friend... to remind me of the repetition! ;)

Most recent shots now.
1. My favourite blue banded bee, again.
2 A crow was perching there and I kept the morning moon [waxing] as its halo.
3. I don't know why this rain lily is up. There's been no rain, except from my water bucket! Someone has confused it. Only one is up! April Fool's day is nearing!

Dinu

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9042566

I have an old Sony 4.1 mega pixels and only a 3X zoom. But it does pretty well with close ups. Let's see what I can find.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9045312

Dinu, that blue banded bee is so cool! Love it!

Woodspirit, those are really beautiful pink brugmansias!

From my walk today, a few flowers in the neighborhood ... and the church that was in the movie "Harold and Maude" ...

1. Azalea bush, and yes, that's the true color.
2. Crab Apple Tree in blossom
3. "Harold and Maude" Church
4. Lavatera
5. An Iris

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 16, 2012
10:51 PM

Post #9045713

Woodspirit1, that Brug is gorgeous! What a nice shot!

Dinu, you really have an eye for interesting things. I especially like the crow silhouetted by the moon in the background!

Jubilada, that Azalea's color is delightful -- I wouldn't mind having a few of those! The Lavatera is so pretty. I don't believe I've ever seen one before.

1. I have mounds of this little weed in one of my beds. Actually, I don't mind it so much. It's a pretty little wildflower and can be yanked up easily if need be.
2. Cherry Trees in bloom in Memphis
3. More Cherry Trees

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 19, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9048695

1. A bee had been caught up in a spider's web. This is what remained after the owner's lunch.

2. This man has picked up fuel [wood] for himself from somewhere. They are from a coconut tree.

3. Schoolgirls going to attend their annual exams. They use a clipboard on which they have to answer on paper given by the school.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9049968

I wish our schools would go to uniforms. The constant problem of kids wanted the latest fashions is difficult for those with low income and the kids are embarressed of they wear Hand-Me-Downs. It's ridiculous how much time is spent here on things that don't matter.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 20, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9050099

HelloMM, tell me are those Cherry blooms real? That fence! Ooooh!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 20, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9050363

Yes, Dinu, they are real. I could hardly believe my eyes. It was like being surrounded by fluttering snowballs!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9050468

Oh my MissMary the cherry blossoms are awesome...just wonderful!

Wood spirit really pretty brugs...My Dad just gave me some from a neighbor this winter...I have no idea what color they are...he said the thought they were pink. I hope so.

Jubilada the azaela looks like Red Formosa, I have a few bushes of it and love the deep magenta red. That bush is really covered with blooms.

Dinu the crow is really great. The man with his firewood I find very interesting...looks as though no room for him on that bike.

1. Oxalis a weed but still very pretty for St. Patrick's Day 2. my baby brugs my Pop gave me. 3.amaryllis 4. Pink Cleome in the morning light

Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9050470

Hi folks. It's been a while since my last visit. Looks like we can add multiple pics to a post, much better.
Love the Cherry blossoms, Ms Mary. The season is coming on too soon. A frost could be devastating.
We don't see Lavateras up here, Jubi. Cool flower.
Mr Dinu, old friend. I hope all is well. I like the old man with firewood shot. Very telling.
I have a new toy. My sister was a bicyclist all her life, even with only one leg. She knew her bikes and when she passed away last fall I got her bike. It's a hand made 24 speed hybrid street bike. Think Ferrari, lol.
The real reason I'm here is to mention the web site this thread inspired is now 5 years old. I started this one here then a year later launched http://DailyPics.ning.com . I really neglected it this past year as my interests changed but I've got ideas to spark more activity.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 20, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9050841

Good to see you, Andy! That's definitely a cool bike and I know it is a treasure to you. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like your sister was a real trooper and I'm betting she was an inspiration to those who knew her.

Thanks for sharing the link to your site. I enjoyed the idea of "rolling through the alphabet." Looks like folks have been having fun with that!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 20, 2012
11:48 PM

Post #9050967

Ya ya, HelloMM, I wanted to say to AndyP what you said. You had said it already when I saw after reading his post! Andy's late sister must have been a really strong willed person and an inspiration to many.

~AndyP, Nice to see you around again. We have to move on! Nice bike! Wonder if that chair has to be carried along to park the bike wherever you go! LOL. Lots of water has flown under the bridge, Andy, during your 'time away from here'. In fact, I must say 'lots of pictures have filled the threads'! We can upload 5 in one post now.

Dinu
Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9051251

Dinu, these fancy bikes have no stand. I tried to add one but it would not fit on the bike frame. I need a special valve to inflate the skinny tires, they also have a reflective sidewall. The seat shaft has a shock absorber like the front fork for a smoother ride. Every part has been upgraded to top of the line.
My last bike was an Italian 10 speed. It was nice, fast and light but nothing compared to this Devinci. I'm an old guy now, retired with long graying hair. Some young girls in a passing car yelled "Go pops" as they went passed. I'm up to doing 6 miles per day so far. That may increase to 20 + by seasons end. I love this bike.
Sorry but I'm not snapping many pics any more. As I said, my interests have changed. In large part because of the open heart surgery 21 months ago. We all go through life altering times in our life, the surgery was one.
Andy P
I may as well add a pic or two. This is a tiny American Copper butterfly from last fall.

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper   Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 21, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9051338

Andy, that's lovely. Though I don't recall ever having seen a photo of you, I now have a picture in my mind, thanks to the pen portrait you furnished above.

I know your health issues must have been quite a struggle and I'm glad to hear you are now on the other side of that and doing well. Enjoy your bike, Andy, and try not to let the young girls know how youthful you really are under that "old guy" fašade...! They'll get there, too, one day, and find out for themselves!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 21, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9051346

Walking through the lovely gardens yesterday at Dixon...

1. Dogwood and Azaleas
2. Dogwood blossoms
3. Native Azalea
4. Native Azalea
5. Peonies

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 21, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9051367

Andy, I never knew about all that had been to you and your health. But I'm glad you told me [us] now and here and fit enough to ride the bike and also getting 'noticed'!! We have to move on with whatever health issues that may befall on us as the body ages. The mind must stay as far as possible calm and in a position to accept reality, without comparing with others' health. The buttterfly shots are lovely. You will be fitter in the coming weeks and months. Priorities also change as time passes by.

HMM, I loved that Dogwood blossoms shot. Great!
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

March 22, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9052614

Andy, you butterfly pictures are eye catching.
Miss Mary, you are able to grow all the things I wish I could, Dogwoods and Peonies.
Dinu, I love your eye for photography. Especially the insects - I have never seen a blue banded bee before and the purple flower backdrop is perfect.
Jubilada, I also like the red painted stick. I may have to try that in my garden, especially since I love the structures of trees and have a hard time throwing out the branches when I trim them.
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

March 22, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9052626

Here are a few of mine.
The first one is a Blue Hibiscus and the flowers dry really pretty.
The purple Bouganvillea in my front planter seems to like it there.
The last is my favorite section of my garden in the spring.

Thumbnail by Valsflowers   Thumbnail by Valsflowers   Thumbnail by Valsflowers

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9052781

Andy, nice to "see" you again ... glad to hear you're mending well and have taken up bicycling (very good for you) ... getting older and health problems are, sadly, the dues we pay for being alive ... it all balances out in the end, I'm sure ... Lovely butterflies!

Miss Mary, as usual, your flower pics are lovely ... that dogwood is absolutely stunning!

Valsflowers, your pictures are likewise lovely, and that garden shot! Wow, great light, and what a beautiful garden it is!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9052789

Went to SF yesterday to do a tour of Coit Tower and the its murals. Very interesting, very informative ... it was a gorgeous day, after a somewhat cloudy beginning the sun came out in great force ... marvelous first day of Spring!

On the way to Coit tower, Sts. Peter and Paul Church at Washington Square in North Beach.
Coit Tower from the back
Coit Tower and the flag
One view from Coit Tower ... the street on the right of the picture is Lombard, the top part known as the "crookedest street in the world"
And, Sts. Peter and Paul Church later on around noon ... no clouds in sight and people really enjoying the sunshine ... (cropped)

Two different cameras, two different lenses ...

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9052791

Some of the murals inside Coit Tower ... all done in the 30s as part of a WPA program instigated by then Secretary of Labor Frances Perkins (bless her heart) ...

Here are partial pictures of some of the murals:
California (artist Maxine Albro)
More of California
City Life (artist Victor Arnautoff)
Stockbroker (artist Mallette Dean)
Life at Home (artist Jane Berlandia) ... the only murals done in egg tempra on paper (the rest are frescoes)

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 22, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9052848

Jubilada, the last Church picture is wonderful. The trees on both sides partly kept in the frame adds to the beauty of the setting itself. Lovely!

Thanks Valsflowers. That purple flower [blue-banded bee] is the water lily in my pond.

P_Edens

P_Edens
Willis, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9053468

Jubilada, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the San Francisco photos. The view of the streets with Lombard over on the right side brings back some fond memories. Excellent shots of the murals. They are so beautiful and detailed. What a treasure.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 23, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9053890

Today I had a bit of time to shoot a few.

1. When I lifted a paver stone slab - I'm reshaping my garden, finally - I saw this nest of this variety black ant.
2. They soon shifted those white eggs and little larvae into safer places - see them going through the tunnel.
3. Very soon, all of them had been shifted.
4. Dendrobium orchid.
5. My garden yard being reshaped again.

Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9054099

Dinu, thanks for the interesting and fascinating ant saga pictorial ... aren't they just the busiest and hardest working little creatures ... the soil in your garden looks interesting, too ... what gives it that reddish cast?

It was a gorgeous spring day out at my community garden plot ... everything is very lush (despite the dearth of rain this season) ... the weather people tell us there's a cold front from Alaska coming down for the weekend, so maybe we'll get some rain then ... in the meantime, some of what I saw this a.m. out there ...

Narcissus and tulips ...
A yellow tulip
And a mighty fine head of cabbage, just waiting to be slaw!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 23, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9054698

Wow, Dinu, those ants really are community-minded! Nature is incredible, isn't it? You'll have to take more pictures of your garden as the work progresses. I'd love to watch it coming along!

Jubilada, those flowers just seem to say, "Happy...happy...happy!" That cabbage really is a good-looker!

1. Quince blossoms in the shade
2. A Petunia from last year that wintered over -- something that doesn't happen around here!
3. My Dogwood sapling putting out its first bloom. Note the little spider inside!
4. Beetle on a Crape Myrtle leaf in the afternoon sun

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 24, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9055095

I was sitting beside the pond this morning and watching the spider. It was on the tip of a water lettuce leaf and trying to grab its breakfast. You know what? There were some bees trying to sip some water and they were hovering over this spider. The bees were 2-3 times bigger than the spider! It was making unsuccessful attempts as the bees were too quick.

1. That spider
2. My favourite BB Bee again!
3. I don't know how many times I have shot this water lily.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 24, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9055187

Dinu, that is an incredible shot of the bee! You should earmark that one and enter it into the next DG photo contest!!

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9055767

No kidding!! That is an awesome shot!!!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9055797

Dinu, that's a bee shot to end all bee shots ... as Miss Mary suggests, absolutely prize-worthy! I also find that spider shot especially attractive, but then, I love spiders!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 25, 2012
9:50 PM

Post #9057027

My first Iris bloom came today.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9057238

Hi Andy, I've not met you before...sorry about your sister...I'm sure she was a wonderful person. I don't know much about bikes, but do ride my Townie 18 miles once a week on a bike trail near here. It is wonderful exercise for the golden years. My mom is 75 and rides ten miles on her bike. I bookmarked your photo site and will check it out when I have more time.

Lovely shots everyone...so many to catch up on. Now that there is five I wish you could just hit the "next" button instead of going back and clicking each photo. Dinu spiders really creep me out..but I have to admit that is one really neat shot. Jubilada and Missmary I just love all your garden shots...so nice to see what is in everyone's garden...i think that is why I love DG so much. And Jubilada as always your SF shots intrigue me...you take me on a field trip with each line of photos.
Valsflowers, what a nice garden you have...love all the red stone.

I've been working so hard in the garden and doing lots of fun spring things. Some of my spring garden critters...

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 26, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9057466

1. A black kite about to perch. Early morning shot. Sun was rising slightly to the right of the framed area.
2. It is leaving with a twig to build its nest. There will be storms next month and they work in strengthening their nests to withstand them.
3. Slightly later, I found a Myna on that same tree. Using Canon 550d with a 250mm lens.
4. I was on the top floor of the new house where these crows come in search for water and twigs. You can see sunrise in its eye!
5. Ian Thorpe diving! To be serious, this is a Rock Pigeon.

Nice striped caterpillars, sunkissed.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 27, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9059171

Crows are one of my favourite watching subjects.

1. This one is blinking as my camera was also blinking - hence that funny eye!
2. They love to settle and discuss the day's plans on that ad hoarding frame. Early morning shot.
3. After a few seconds, only the manager was left behind.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 28, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9060081

Dinu I love how you caught the sunrise in the birds eye.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9061254

Miss Mary, what lovely Irises!

Sunkissed, love those caterpillars, and that cute little toad!

Dinu, that sunrise reflection in the Crow's eye is really something! Wow!

All I can offer is a picture of my sweet little Spanish Bluebells, which have begun blooming all around ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

March 28, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9061314

Dinu, those birds might be government workers, the way they sit for a few minutes and then fly off! Wonderful shots!
Jubilada, the Bluebells have such a striking color. They are lovely!

1 & 2. Native Azaleas in bloom at Dixon Gardens
3. I think this may be a Tulip.
4. Crocus
5. Tulips

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9064913

One of Palo Alto's Century Oak Trees was slated for demolition today ... it had been deemed diseased by the City arborist, and because it was between a busy thoroughfare and an elementary school, in the interest of public safety it was condemned ... I took some pictures of it yesterday, some quite plain and straightforward, some dramatic, one with a crow in its branches ... today, while I thought the rain might have delayed the destruction, I was surely mistaken ... a little rain will not stop the wheels of progress ... and there it was, a shadow of its former self ... soon only to be a memory ... it was figured the tree was between 200 and 300 years old ...

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 1, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9065358

Jubilada,
It's good you have e-captured the lovely views of that oldie. Great shape. Good pictures. BTW, what language does the crow speak? Crows here speak Kannada. Notice that it rhymes with your s/name! I feel they have done the right thing seeing the heavy branch leaning precariously. It may be strong, but you never know nature's fury. I had to get up from the ground after seeing the lovely blue bells [me a blue lover!]. I fell from the chair, stunned.

HMMary,
What Crocuses there! How lucky you are to see them with your naked eye also! Simply beautiful!

Here is the Daniad Eggfly that took time to stop over and even remained patient to pose for a few shots. It also 'drank' some water sitting on a water lettuce leaf at the pond.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9068757

Dinu, I believe that crow speaks crowation. (No, I don't really know.) ... That's a very nice catch of that Daniad Eggfly (a real name?) ... very nice pose!

From my garden plot this afternoon, lots of blooms:

Tulips
First Hairy Vetch blossoms coming out (a green manure I plant as a cover crop for tomatoes)
Iris and friend

At home:
The first Columbine buds appear
A fancy Daffodil

Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

April 4, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9069361

JUbilada, that is a real bummer about the Oak. I hope they plant a new one, although it will take a long time for it to get so majestic. .

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9070020

Does anyone know what this is?

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 4, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9070040

The inside of a chewed and dried up apple?

Nice photos, everyone. I've been hovering but have had nothing to post. Glad you're all having a lovely spring.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9070058

Woodspirit, looks like a neatly peeled tangerine/mandarin orange skin to me ...

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 5, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9070812

Some pictures to share from my today's leisure - took the camera after lunch and shot a few as the sun was warm and bright.

1. Dendrobium
2. Hyacinth on the pond
3. Dendtobium - this is the red variety
4. Took this pic lying on my bed - after my afternoon siesta [today was a holiday]. Sunlight entering my sleeping area via the window net as well as the mosquito net of the bed. Had taken the camera there to preview shots and then had slept.
5. Hibiscus - I want this to be a lot sharper - may be I've to go 'macro'.

Hope you like this set.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9070854

Dinu -- siesta shot simply swell ... super shadows ...
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9070860

From the Rodin sculpture garden, Cantor Museum, Stanford University, CA ... (including the "Gates of Hell") ...

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9071224

oh rats, Jubilada. Around where I live, no one guessed it but you got it immediatly. I always peel tangerines like this and when I saw this lying on my desk, I thought it looked bit like a blosssom so I wanted to fool you all. Fail.
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

April 5, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9071333

Woodspirit1, you didn't fail. I think I will try to do this the next time I eat a tangerine. Although I laugh because I see flowers everywhere already.
Dinu, my pet tortoise (Me Whiskers) says you hibiscus looks yummy. It is his favorite food, but has a second favorite now in the petunias (red of course).

Thumbnail by Valsflowers

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9071802

Oh Val ,how cute. Is she(?) a Russian? My son has a Russian and she is an awesome pet!!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 6, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9071820

Valsflowers, Me Whiskers does not know he has a lovely pattern of the shell! Have you told him? I love petunias as they bloom long. Unfortunately, the nurseries usually don't keep them. I don't know why.

1. Robberfly visited my yard today.
2. I wanted to freeze its wings - there is some progress methinks - 1/640 s, but still way to go on this blue banded bee,
3. Tried this today also, but did not reach my expectation. May be the breeze also is playing spoilsport.
4. My DW wants these dry red chilies to further dry in the hot sun [summer here] so that they are crisp for grinding into powder.
5. Pens are mine, the holder is probably a heirloom that my grandfather used on his desk. Am using this pic in my blogpost about pens.

See, adding 5 pics in a post inspires us! Doesn't it?

Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

April 7, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9072982

Mr Whiskers is a desert tortoise native to Southwest US and Northern Mexico. My boss has a several and this is one of the babies. They can live 100 years and he is very friendly. :-) This was his first year outside 24/7. Dinu, I will let him know you like his pattern.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 8, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9074560

Dinu, I should say you've almost got that blue banded bee! What a bee!

In my yard this morning ...

1. Gastropod on Hellebore Leaf (just a baby)
2. Dancing Columbine
3. African Daisy (cropped)
4. Mother Nature Mystery
5. White Freesias

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9075338

MissMary, love the native Azaleas, what striking flowers!

Jubilada I hate to see old trees come down, can be a sad thing. I understand the reasoning behind most, but many are lost to progress around here. Love the little snail close up also.
Dinu love the afternoon siesta shot of the window, I love siestas in my hammock this time of year. Your close ups are so great.
Val, we had a pet turtle when we lived in Calif. However it started eating my Dad's roses so he made me give it away. I actually love turtles, my grandson just counted how many I had around the house and garden this weekend...you don't want to know.
Woodspirit, took me as second, but I guessed it, but then I just had a tangerine this morning.

1. Close up of Lobelia
2. White Gaura "Whirling Butterflies"
3. "Mystic Spires" Salvia

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 9, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9076155

Lovely, lovely flowers! Sunkissed, the color on the Lobelia is just beautiful. I used to have Gaura but it stopped coming back. I always enjoyed it.

Jubilada, your African Daisy is so pretty! I think your Mother Nature Mystery is called Shelf Fungi but I don't know which variety it is.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9078982

Beautiful flowers, Sunkissed ... that Gaura is quite something!

From me ...
1. Puddle of Sunshine
2. Bird on a wire

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 11, 2012
10:09 PM

Post #9079178

Wonderful Puddle of Sunshine, Jubilada! I like that!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9079683

Jubilada, Great puddle of sunshine!

My Lobelia is actually a deeper purple, I don't know why my camera can never pick up the exact coloring of it. The white Gaura is new for me this season, I have pink and it comes back about three seasons before it retires. I hope the white does the same. They are great in pots with other plants and stand out across the garden with the tall spikes. Of course butterflies love them.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 12, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9079742

1. A Black Kite was sitting on this tree branch some 50 feet away. I wanted to click a shot as it takes off, but it tested my strength and patience. When I lost, it flew! So I have to wait for another opportunity! It sat so long there, looking here and there and even the other birds fly above it!

2. Just before sunrise this morning, the eastern sky as seen from our house balcony was like this! Pink clouds.

3. The lady has just bought some coriander leaves [just guessing] from this man who comes on the bicycle to sell some variety of greens. Coriander leaves are commonly used for flavouring our daily food.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9080853

This picture was taken on a hike. The plant is a parasite called Squaw root or sometimes bear corn.
It grows on the roots of oak and beech trees. It does make seeds so I hope to collect some. They are so exotic and fairly rare this far south so it would be great to have them.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9082447

Lovely pink clouds, Dinu, and that's some bird, alright! Nice shot!

Woodspirit, that Squaw root is absolutely fascinating! Do they need to grow on oak or beech trees, and if they're parasites, are they harmful to the trees?

Here's a prize I found in my garden this noon ... a cluster of baby spiders on the tip of a poppy leaf! The cluster itself (when undisturbed) is only about 3/8 of an inch across. I believe they are Pumpkin Spiders (Araneus diadematus), a common garden spider in this area. They are "cross orbweavers" and come September and October my garden will be full of them, their wonderful webs everywhere!

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9082663

I don't think the Squaw Root damages the trees. Obviously it gets something from the tree but apparently nothing that harms it. I think and beech are just its favorite trees.
Jubalada, I love the baby spiders. There is field, not far from my home, that has lots of orb spiders with their beautiful webs. What a show when I come down off the mountain in the morning and they have dew on them and sparkle in the early sun.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 15, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9083343

1. The sun was setting. This cloud could still see the sun from above there!
2. The men inside the dolls were feeling the heat of the hot summer sun yesterday afternoon. It was during a local procession.
3. Sunset at Mysore's lake today.
4. Barbed wire for sale at the market - hardware store.

Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9089392

Pictures from a trip to SF yesterday ... for a tour of the Art Deco Buildings in the Financial District ...

But first ...
1. Interesting modern statuary along the way
2. The obligatory seagull in the bay
3. and tea-time at the Palace Hotel ...

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9089395

The Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Building at 140 New Montgomery ...

1. A detail
2. Men on a scaffold

Then:
3. The Shell Building
4. Shell Building Doorway

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9089406

1. Pacific Stock Exchange Tower (the Pacific Stock Exchange is no longer there ... rather a health/exercise club!)
2. Ceiling and light fixtures in the Tower Lobby
3. Roman Columns of an old bank building (not Art Deco)
4. Russ Building light fixtures in lobby
5. Russ Building elevators

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9089411

And finally ...
1. 111 Sutter (Hunter Dulin Bldg.)
2. 111 Sutter ceiling detail
3. 450 Sutter Medical Dental Building (detail)
4. 450 Sutter Medical Dental Building (detail)
5. 450 Sutter lobby lights

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9090842

astounding buildings. I love architecture and this may have been the last really interesting period in the U.S. I really hated to see beautiful historic buildings torn down to make way for straight, boring, high-rises with all glass and no detailing at all. thank you for posting these.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 20, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9091080

Jubilada, these are breathtaking! I love all the lines and angles. These buildings are truly works of art! Great captures.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 21, 2012
1:10 AM

Post #9091164

Brilliant photos, Jubi. What gorgeous buildings. Very special.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 24, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9095962

Brilliant architecture, Jubilada.

1. We had work for this locksmith today. He made keys to 4 old locks in 10-15 minutes. They can open any lock, but they use their skill for their livelihood. I have a hundred keys that have survived locks! It is the opposite! 4 old locks whose keys were lost were done.
2. Vintage street name tablets of stone embedded on house compound/walls. Many have survived mindless destruction for renovation, some have saved them, diligently, this is original, about 50-60 yrs old.
3. I passed by this parked truck laden with PVC pipes.
4. Old lady with walker on a lonely [unusually] street close to our house. How I wish our street was like this! Peaceful at 2pm.
5. Musical Instruments shop - they also repair and manufacture.

[Had to redo this because there was some glitch in the website I guess... a few minutes ago.]

Dinu

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 24, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9096660

Nice shots, Dinu. I was driving behind a truck which was laden with all different coloured PVC pipes a few years back. I thought it would make a brilliant shot, but you can guess where my camera was, can't you? I've often thought about that missed opportunity and seeing your photo makes me want to kick myself even harder.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 24, 2012
11:01 PM

Post #9096719

Thanks MargarettK. No need to kick yourself and all. [Someone else should... hard and harder!! LOL]

We must be wise enough to accept only what comes our way [esp. for photo opportunities]. There will be many that pass by without being 'frozen on frame'. It happens to everyone. :) There are always better opportunities sometime! I've been also lazy to take out the camera from the pocket sometimes and let the chance go by! Sometimes in the excitement of taking the photo, I have also missed actual viewing with the eye! Does it happen to you too?

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 25, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9096937

No one could kick me harder than I do myself, Dinu. LOL

Yes, that does happen. I sometimes need to remind myself not to miss the moment for the sake of a photo.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2012
11:26 PM

Post #9098113

A California flower garden in April. . . poppies in bloom.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 26, 2012
1:30 AM

Post #9098142

Lovely, domehomedee

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 26, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9098613

1. A young bandicoot I 'unearthed' while digging! Wonder how the mother had come there.
2. Hyacinth.
3. Heavy rain last evening. Cloud canopy and amazing lighting.
4. Raindrops were still there on this lemon grass leaf this morning.
5. The fly was on my pajama and see where the autofocus has taken me!

~ Domehomedeeeeeeee... nice park walkway that!!

Dinu

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9099043

Domehomedee, you have a wonderful little garden, and those poppy shots are lovely!

Dinu, you continue to astound and amaze with your incredible shots! That poor little bandicoot! And, oh, what wonderful waterdrops on the lemon grass leaf! And, have not commented on that very interesting shot of PCV pipes from April 24 ... great!

Here's some of what's blooming in my California garden this April ...

Lupine
"Cupani" sweet peas and Calendula
Foxgloves
And more Calendula with a sleeping bee ...

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9099408

I had to look up bandicoot. What a sweet little baby.
Jubilada, I love the lupine. My foxgloves are starting to bloom too, can't beat foxgloves, the deer and the gophers don't touch them.
My cosmos starting blooming today, they are still really short though. I also have an epi cactus with about 50 red blooms on it.
I'm going to Los Angeles this weekend to the Huntington Gardens plant sale, I'll catch up with you guys later.
Dee

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 29, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9102448

Croaking male toad in my pond this morning. They do this while the female lays eggs and even go and cling to it on the back. - #1
Juvenile dragonfly [Chalky Percher] just emerged and sitting on my hand. All eyes! #2
This huge spider helped me by catching this cockroach which might have been trying to sneak into my bedroom - on the window mesh. #3
Rain lilies are up and the little tiny bees love their pollen. #4
Proof that it rained here 2-3 evenings ago. Streetlight seen from my room window. Last one.

You know what?
I had put up a set like this last night and somehow it did not get uploaded. May be due to connectivity glitch - few minutes. Have to do it all over again today! Also I was feeling sleepy at that time. So did not try again.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9103258

Whew, Dinu, once again you knock our socks off! ... what a splendid spider that is! And ... very cool rain capture! Magnifique!

Decidedly unspectacular, but pretty nevertheless, at my garden this morning

The gorgeous lupine
Volunteer Rose
and Grapefruit on the Fence along the way ...

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 30, 2012
4:12 AM

Post #9103471

Thanks Jubi. [hope you wont mind the short form!]
I want to make a fence like that from the old reapers now waiting to be worked with. But where is my question! Have to work it out in my new garden reshape plans. Nice idea of the fruit arrangement. I'd have arranged guavas or mangoes here!
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

April 30, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9103748

Dinu, your pictures are always amazing. I think the one of the toad is my favorite this round.

Jubilada, I love the Lupine. The closest I get tto that here is the Texas Blue bonnet.

The pictures attached are of the Great-tailed Grackle. He thinks he is king of my garden and messes up the symmetry of the italian cypress.

Thumbnail by Valsflowers   Thumbnail by Valsflowers

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 30, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9103814

Thanks Valsflowers. I had to use flash for that shot as I was facing the low morning sun and it was darkish on my side.

~Another lily shot.
~Crocodile in lakes give a similar sight. Came to know the difference between the toad and frog here on DG in recent years!
~During egg-laying session.
~Myna taking off.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 30, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9103873

I tried to photograph a couple of low watt incandescent bulbs when it is 'on', last month.

1. A 15 watt bulb.
2. 25 watt bulb manufactured by the famous Mysore Lamps Company [now shut down].
3. Its filament.
4. Same bulb as in the first one, full view.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 2, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9107118

No postings since I posted the above two sets. I'm back here to post a few more. Looking for reactions!

1. A snail floating on the surface of the water in my pond. Some tiny tadpoles also can be seen.
2. Spelling bloopers are common here and some are funny too, may not be like here. They have got 'theatre' right!
3. Common scene long ago, but not as much nowadays. I did it too to my little d/s.
4. Zephyr rain lilies are up after the rains were down!
5. The pond viewed from my room window. A football lily is up on show. Others are emerging in the ground near it.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 2, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9107129

Dinu, I have never seen, nor heard of, a Football Lily. How fascinating! What are the purple flowers in the pond? Water Lilies? They are so beautiful!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 2, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9107147

HMM, Football lily is Hemerocallis multi... and is here in the PF too. Purple flowers are indeed water lilies.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9107636

As usual, Dinu, very interesting bunch of photographs! Those clear glass incandescent bulbs are basically a thing of the past, at least in this country ... and the frosty kind will soon be "illegal," I understand. I'm stocking up on them!

Here's what's blooming in my garden this morning ...

1. The first heirloom poppy (this one a "peony" type)!
2. The first nigella ("love in a mist" or "Persian Jewels")
3. The first Shirley poppy!

Oooh, they're so pretty!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 2, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9108019

Perfect backlit Poppy, Jubilada! Pure magic! And the Nigella with the droplets gets a blue ribbon...how pretty!
Dinu, beautiful Water Lilies! Thanks for the info on the Football Lilies as well.

This message was edited May 2, 2012 10:38 PM

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2012
11:24 PM

Post #9108062

I thought I'd add a few of my pics from today.
So many new blooms today it was hard to pick the best!
1. White alstroemeria
2. Ivy geranium
3. Foxgloves

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2012
11:27 PM

Post #9108063

Opps, wrong foxglove pic.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 3, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9108469

Jubi, if you show blue by any other colour, I'll get tempted to look at the blue one more! I liked the bud below the red flower [#1].
Domehomedee, Nice Ivy Geranium flower bunch.

1.Curry leaf plant's fruits. Koels love them.
2. Periwinkle.
3. Fish in my pond.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9109440

Domehomedee, lovely flowers, especially that Ivy Geranium!

Dinu, that Curry Leaf Plant's fruits look very interesting. Now, what is Koel?
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9110279

On a walk ... a supreme and stellar example of this plant, Echium Wildpretii ... and a fancy flag flapping in the yard of a local artist ...

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9110282

And in Palo Alto this time of year, the roses are blooming all over ... it's just astounding ... roses of every hue and sort ... here are just a few ...

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9110951

Jubilada - I just planted half a seed tray of those Echium, what a beautiful picture, now I really can't wait for them to come up!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9112131

Domehomedee, you must keep us posted on the progress of those Echium ... if yours are successful, I might be tempted to try some on my own!

Here are some pictures of my most recent heirloom poppy to pop ... by mid-May they will be a riot!

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9112135

And, out at the Duck Pond at the Baylands last night, to "shoot the moon," caught a bit of the sun getting ready to set, some cold ducks (boy it was windy and frigid), the Sea Scouts House (Birge Clark architect, built in 1937), and a fountain on the duck pond ...

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9112177

The Echium I got the seed for is called "pink fountain", it's rare, and I have half a seed tray full, so with any luck I'll get a few plants!
It looks like one good bloom and I'll have seeds for everyone!
But I know who I'm going to be begging seeds from - that poppy is gorgeous.
It was really windy here today, my gunnera didn't like it at all.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9112522

My oh my have you all been busy, it took me twenty minutes to look through all these wonderful photos.

woodspirit the bear cone is a really unique looking plant.

Dinu your close up shots are just so amazing, and only you would take a close up a barbed wire. :) I just love the puffed up toad. All your lilies look great.

Jubi the nest of spiders is a really cool find. And as always I'm so amazed at the San Francisco architecture, you just don't see detail like that. I'd sure love to take a walking tour around there one day. That Echium plant you photographed is absolutely a striking! Your roses are lovely, I remember my Dad grew the most amazing roses when we lived in Calif. He tries here in FL but it is tough with high humidity and rain.

Domehomedee love the foxglove, I see them once in awhile in our nurseries, but they don't do well in our heat and only an annual here.

Some of my latest garden shots:
1. Hawk that perched above me in my garden while I was taking a break from my work last week. 2. orange sulphur chrysalis 3. Bee on Mexican Flame Vine 4. succulent garden I made out of an old fire pit. 5. close up of magenta red Gerber daisy --Dinu would have a close shot of those tiny ants on the flower that my Nikon cool-pix barely picks up ;-)

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9113411

sunkissed - Great shots! I particularly like the bee. The hawk just serves to remind me of what wonderful wildlife I have in my own yard and how I should keep a camera ready. We had two juvenile deer munching through the backyard just this morning. And the California Quail are . . . well Alfred Hitchcock would have appreciated the numbers!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9113915

Wonderful bunch of photos, Sunkissed! That hawk is beautiful!

Domehomedee, I'll be glad to send you any poppy seeds you'd like ... as soon as the heads are mature ... just let me know where to send them (d-mail) ...

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 7, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9114075

Jubilada, hats off to your second shot of 'heirloom poppy'! Just love it!
sunkissed, Love that 3rd one of the Mexican Flame vine.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9118016

I just had to share this beautiful display with someone.
I made this planter out of hypertufa. I'm not sure what the plant is ... million bells or something like that.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 12, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9120896

1. I felt so bad for a long while after this. Foolishly, I tried to tilt the nest of the Tailor Bird which was within my hand range. I did that because it was almost horizontal. Tried to see if any activity was there. This rolled out and fell. I'm so sorry. I actually paid a 2-minute silence, begging excuse from its parents. I'll never be curious again, to do such a thing. My curiosity killed a little bird. [Curiosity kills the cat proverb].

2. I had a small contusion on the first toe. It had blackened. Happened 10 days ago. Today I opened it near my pond. A drop of 'bad blood' fell on my garden slipper. Within a few seconds these tiny black ants got there! Yes, in just a few seconds. I hope you observe the red in their tummy, already!

3. This was how small the drop of blood and the ants were. Have shown my Size 10 chappal for scale.

4. Fiddlewood tree is in bloom, after the rains. These tiny flowers emanate a pleasing smell at night. Thousands of them fall on the ground in the morning and make a white carpet.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9121268

Nice planter, Domehomedee! Pretty flowers, too ... I've got some of the same, and don't know what they are. I don't believe they're million bells, however ... but then again ...

Dinu, what a pictorial! What a sad thing it is to disrupt Mother Nature that way! I've unwittingly done similarly and it takes me forever to forgive myself!
Bunch of bloodthirsty ants, eh?

More of the poppies bursting to bloom in my garden ...

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9121585

Dinu - your pictures are so awesome. Poor little birdie. I went to water some lillies in an old metal tub today and a California quail came running out.
She has nine little eggs in a nest in the lily pot! I'll try to get a picture of them. They nested close to the same spot last year in a large scented geranium.
Jubilada - The poppies are magnific.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9121609

Domehomedee, you are so lucky to still have those California quail ... 15 years ago there were at least 5 families in the community gardens where I have my plots ... I was always thrilled to see the little families running through and eating all the tender greens in the springtime, with the daddy quail at the helm ... sadly, crows came in and over the years the quail population has decreased to zero ... oh, I do suspect a few two-legged villains as well ... y'know, poaching ... I will look forward to your pictures!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 12, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9121658

Jubilada, I love the bee (?) you captured on the purple Poppy! Lovely Poppies, all!
Dinu, sorry for your unfortunate accident with the baby bird. The Fiddlewood tree sounds enchanting!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 13, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9122130

Thanks everyone. The fiddlewood flowers - it was raining flowers this morning when I went there holding my coffee glass. What fragrance it had when the sun had not yet risen! Was up early today.

Poppies there are very nice. What colour gardens there! Jubi, I was observing that iron plant support there! Who made it?

Nothing much to share today. Only one. Morning street scene opposite our gate. Too early in the morning. That man is taking vegetables from the market to sell them at his shop. Lots of bags!

Thumbnail by Dinu

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9122757

Forgot to get a pic of the quail eggs but I did get one shot I've been waiting for.
I have salsify in my garden and I wanted to take a picture before killing it, it's an invasive and needs removal.
this seed head is over 4" across.
1. Salsify
2. Foxglove close-up
3. Snail in a mini-planter
*I have a fondness for snails-they are just so alien.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 14, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9123346

1. A potter wasp's abandoned nest. It's job was over.
2. A squirrel was collecting material from this discarded straw mat for its bed/nest. When it rained a bit this evening, I found the pipe clogged. When I examined, a huge lot of these fibres were there. Had to remove it.
3. Bed of Fiddlewood Tree flowers. I shared a close-up of the flowers up here in this thread. This bed is a bit dry as I took this picture in the afternoon. In the morning, it looks whiter.
4. I hang a lab thermometer in my room. Today's temperature - afternoon.
5. Mother's work of art - Rangoli pattern in front of our front door. It is done on the floor. Rangoli is an artform using white powder from a soft rock.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9123493

Domehomedee, that salsify puff shot is great! I'm sorry to hear it's an invasive weed, as I find it rather attractive, and was going to plant some in my yard! Ditto the foxglove shot, and the snail, too ... I too have a fondness for snails (sort of) ...

Dinu, I'm assuming that thermometer reading is Fahrenheit!
Regarding my plant support (the one with the purple poppy?), I don't know who makes it, it was purchased at a nursery quite a few years ago. It's a circular tomato cage, and except for one other one, my tomato cages are square.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9123506

Here's a snail in a bottle ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9124085

From my garden this morning ...

Poppy and Bee
Cardoon blossom emerging
Roses and Rhubarb
Nigella (last week there was just one bloom, now look!)

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9124088

From my walk this afternoon ...

Red Vespa, could not resist, it's so cute!
Local artist's front yard
Echium Wildpretii up close (starting to fade a bit)

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9124204

I love the squirrel, wild life shots are always my favorites.
The snail in the bottle is really nice, the reflection and all, too bad his head is in, I love their little faces.
Well, I got a couple of shots of the quail nest.
I'm working on my husband to get back into photography, my little point and shoot is pretty pitiful next to the great shots you two get.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 14, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9124262

Jubilada, that is a Poppy Extraordinaire! Such pretty roses, Nigella and Echium, too. The snail in a bottle is some shot! I like it when you go on walks...you come up with lots of interesting things.

Domehomedee, I've never seen Quail eggs. About how big are they? Those are really good shots, by the way.

Dinu, what a cute little squirrel. You bring so many interesting things to this thread!

Here in my yard today...

1. Felicia Daisies
2. My Blushing Bride Hydrangea is off to a better start than it was this time last year.
3. Critters on my Coreopsis
4. Rex, my neighbor's dog, is a big sweetie.
5. Wish I knew what kind of Hydrangea this is. Someone gave it to me.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2012
10:43 PM

Post #9124288

The quail eggs are almost an inch long.
They are in a metal wash tub with ditch lillies in it.
I love Felicia and your hydrangeas are beautiful, hydrangeas don't do well in my yard, probably the dry weather.
1. Zebra Aloe blooms
2. First of the Cosmos
3. Itty Bitty black Pansies

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9125149

Domehomedee, thanks for the shots of the quail nest and eggs ... I'm looking forward to seeing shots of the babies! Quail are just the cutest little birds! Your cosmos and aloe are lovely, and could those little bitty pansies actually be violas or violets?

Nice shots Miss Mary ... your hydrangea are lovely. I've got some just like the second picture, and don't know what they're called, either. Shame on me for bad record keeping! Interesting critters on the coreopsis, and Rex really is a sweetie!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 15, 2012
10:44 PM

Post #9125550

Brilliant colours there on the Aloe blooms. Just loved the shot.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 15, 2012
11:43 PM

Post #9125565

Nice, overcast day today...went for a walk at a local garden. Here are some things I saw.

1. Stokesia
2. Black Knight Sweet Scabiosa
3. Euphorbia 'Snow on the Mountain'
4. A bee on it's way to get some Foxglove goodness
5. Oakleaf Hydrangea

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 15, 2012
11:46 PM

Post #9125567

More goodies from my visit to the gardens...

1. Oakleaf Hydrangea
2. Lacecap Hydrangea
3. Chaste Tree

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9126075

Miss Mary, what a lovely collection of blooms ... I'm especially taken by that Euphorbia and the Oakleaf Hydrangea!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9126240

Domehomedee what you said about keeping your camera there in your back yard is so true. When the hawk first landed I didn't have my camera and a curious squirrel came down and checked it out, they were looking right at each other face to face...it would have been a great photo. By the time I got my camera the squirrel had left. Great photos by the way...hope to see you around more often.

Dinu! I can handle the blood thirsty ants...but the smashed egg..so sad. :(

Jub...love the snail shot, that is really great!

Miss Mary as always your flower photos are amazing...I love the Black Knight Sweet Scabiosa, really deep red. The aloe blooms are wonderful...mine are just now sending up some blooms stalks...but not near as full as yours are.

Caught a male anole about to mate with a female...check out the dirty look he is giving me.

This is about as close up as I've ever been able to photo a dark tiger swallowtail...they move around so much.

Finally able to catch a water droplet after a rain shower.

My first Canna lily bloom of the season after a rain shower

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9126305

Sunkissed, what a wonderful bunch of photos! I think both of those anoles are giving you a dirty look. That dark tiger swallowtail is simply exquisite ... and that water drop! Wow! Splendid! Sparkling!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9126591

Great pics! I love the anole, we have lots of lizards around my place and they are a constant source of amusement.
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

May 16, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9126699

I vote for the waterdrop. The others are pretty, but somehow the waterdrop makes me feel like I was right there, or wished I was.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9127125

My neighbor's Epiphyllum blooming ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 17, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9127145

1. Some ant this and huge! Wonder what it is.
2. A jumping spider has a fly caught and paralyzed. It is on our car bonnet.
3. A honey bee is already at work. Don't ask why I say 'already'!
4. This Calotes is surveying my front yard.
5. Melody told that what I saw last evening was a 'sun dog'. It was spectacular to the naked eye too. It lasted nearly 10 minutes. The colours shifted to the side of the cloud mass for a while.

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9127205

LOVE LOVE LOVE that last photo Dinu!! Beautiful!!!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9127281

Dinu, you make me want a better camera. Your photos are really great, thanks for sharing.

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9127359

Thumbnail by catzgalore

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9127552

1. Sunflower
2. Sunflower
3. Little (6-7") Friend sunbathing
4. Wasp on Frogfruit
5. Butterfly (grey hairstreak?) on Dill

Thumbnail by catzgalore   Thumbnail by catzgalore   Thumbnail by catzgalore   Thumbnail by catzgalore   Thumbnail by catzgalore

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9128153

Jub that Epiphyllum is really pretty, I had one once but it only lasted through two seasons and suddenly died on me.

Dinu that is a huge ant, I would not let one crawl on me, I have some in my yard that leave three day welts on me. That last photo of the rainbow is really amazing...I've never seen anything like that...what a site to behold.

Catz, love the close up of your sunflowers...they are just a magnificent flower to watch open.

Thanks for the compliments on my photos, sometimes my little Nikon Coolpix surprises me, other times I feel like throwing it in the lake. :)

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 18, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9128254

Which Coolpix do you have, sunkissed? And what makes you want to throw it in the lake? I ask because I, too, have a Coolpix. As I have no nearby lake, I'm sometimes tempted to throw it against whatever I'm near. Just wondering if we have any common problems.

Catzgalore, those are exceptional shots of the emerging Sunflowers! I just love seeing the "inside story" like that and you've presented it so well!

Dinu, I've only recently heard of "sun dogs" and would love to see one. What a beautiful shot. I can only imagine what it was like to behold it in person...!

Jubilada, your neighbor has a good neighbor in you...one who will admire and take pictures of a beautiful flower like that but not sneak over in the night and dig it up! ☺

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 18, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9128386

1. Here is a shot I took of the sundog from another angle as I proceeded to play my cricket. I stopped by the side of the road to get this view.

2. The Great Tit has just enjoyed a dip in the birdbath. Took this shot from above the new house we are building, adjacent to the one we are living.

sunkissed, please inform me the exact place and time you throw your Nikon Coolpix... when you decide... I'll be there to catch it.
catzgalore, I liked the close up of the sunflower bud.

I have sent the sundog picture to our local paper. If they like it, they will print it. If they do, I'll share it. I am sure Mysoreans have not heard of the word 'sundog'.

Dinu

Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9128784

Stunning sundog catch, Dinu ... wow! Love that Great Tit, too, very cute!

Catzgalore, very nice collection of pictures! Love the sunflower buds!

Sunkissed, my neighbors have had that Epiphyllum for 12 years, and it was bequeathed to them by a neighbor who has passed on ... so no telling how old it really is! My first digital camera was a Nikon Coolpix 995 and I loved it ... sadly it got old, and the way it is with most products these days you don't repair things, you buy a new one ... because in the long run it's cheaper!

1, 2, 3 -- My poppies are blooming and they're full of bees (photos cropped square)
4 -- Moulin Rouge Sunflower bud
5 -- Artichoke and Roses

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 19, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9129547

Jubilada, #3, very nice. How do you get so sharp images?

1. Tiny almond flowers had fallen on my pond water. Sun was at its pinnacle. Lo, this shot!
2. This fly does not know the name of the flower it is sitting. It is Hemerocallis fulva... and I don't know the name of the fly!
3. Honeybee at work on Fiddlewood tree flowers.
4. Ocimum flower spike.
5. Vinca roseas in profusion after the rains.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9129599

Dinu, it's a combination of luck, steady hands, and fast shutter speed! ... I like your honeybee!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 19, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9129939

Jubilada, the bees with wing blurs are marvelous. That is such a shot!
Dinu, the floating Almond flowers are really nice. The sun was perfect! Also like the Vinca. Really good capture.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9130131

Jubilada - Love the bees on the poppies.
Dinu - The flowers in the water are great.
Todays pictures:
1. New mini-succulent, don't know what it's called but it's really tiny. Tried the super close-up mode on my camera.
2. The whole plant, about 5 inches across.
3. Creeping Gloxinia.
4. Epi flower.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 20, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9130460

I did not know there was Epi blooms other than white! This was until a couple of years ago when I saw one here on DG. I thought white was the only colour on that.

Gerbera
Hibiscus bud readying for the next day
Almond flower spike

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 22, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9133681

I love Hibiscus blooms, Dinu. How big is the one in your photo?
Sights from my garden...

1. Beetle on Salvia
2. Balloon Flower
3. Elephant Garlic

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9134038

Lovely blossoms, Domehomedee!
Interesting almond flower spike, Dinu!
Mighty handsome beetle, there, Miss Mary!

This little birdie accidentally smacked into a living room window and stunned itself a wee bit (fortunately it flew off just fine in a few seconds). I think it's a waxwing? They, along with the squirrels, are going after the blossoms on our pineapple guavas.

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 22, 2012
10:51 PM

Post #9134595

Mary, the hibiscus bud there was smallish, about 2 inches, as that was in the pot. The ones in the ground have slightly larger blooms. I love that baloon flower!

Jubi, You had a macro shot of that bird!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9134887

Miss Mary my Coolpix is the 4800, which I've had since 2005. It can be wonderful but sometimes gets confused when trying to take close ups. I don't like the time it takes to process each shot either. But I do have to say that this little camera can take a beaten and keep on going...it has been hiking, biking, kayaking, beach days, camping, and subject to every kind of temperature from way below freezing to super hot and still takes great shots. I'll hang on to it till it dies...so sorry not really going to throw it away. But once the kids college done...and they move out...fingers crossed...I'm getting a new camera.

Dinu, that would be so neat if your sun dog gets in the news. You seem to have many plants the same as we do here.

Jub, love the bee shots, but boy is that close up of the sunflower bud fantastic...and the bird shot...Perfect..cute bird.

Dome, not sure what the succulent is but that is a great close up, put it in the ID forum and someone will know, you have a good shot of it.

Mary great shot of the beetle on the salvia, those are the kind of shots my camera gets real confused about and more so lately than it used to. Really great shot of the garlic flowering..I see an ant too. :)

1. Rain lily
2. Portulaca flowers
3. Crimson passiflora
4. African daisy fully open
5. African daisy just emerging

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9134896

By the way the colors in my flower shots are natural and not photo shopped or what ever you call it.

And this is the rain lily I meant to put on...the other is one of the blurry shots my camera does.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 23, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9135076

sunkissed, the last two daisies are lovely - flowers as well as pictures! Florida and Mysore have very similar plants. I observed this when I saw member 'Floridian' 's photos, many years ago and that is when I learnt about this climatic zones!

Nothing much to show from here. Just a pic I had taken some two weeks ago, standing near our compound wall. A man was taking his child on his bicycle.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9135639

Sunkissed, those are wonderful flower shots ... but the crimson passiflora really bowls me over!

Here are some shots of those pineapple guava blooms that are driving the birds and squirrels wild, as well as a shot of two of my kitties, Phoebe and Lupita, watching them through the window ...

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9135646

At my garden plot this morning:

One of my buddlias beginning to bloom (yes, it's that color, and yes, the sky is that blue!)
Two different views of the same three poppies
A cardoon bud
And a carrot blossom bud ...

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9136368

Dinu sort of refreshing to see a child on a bike like that...that is how my Pop would carry me when I was little. Now a days here in FL...a cop will pull you over and write you a citation for no helmet on the child and no bike seat for the child.
I'm glad you like my daisies, coming from you a great compliment since you have such a wonderful eye for photography...that last one even surprised me when I downloaded it. I do love all Floridian 's photos and miss her, she really did have a talent for great photography.

Jub, I do love my passifloras, they are just now making a comback from the winter, but the red Crimson is my favorite of all. Your kitties in the window are cute, looks like my mom and dad's old cat, "Rambo", she...yes they thought a boy at first, lived for 17 years. I really like the second poppy photo, oh how I remember poppies when I lived in CA, and you caught a bee! The cardoon and carrot photos show how buds can be just as fascinating as the blooms...great shots.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9138184

My buddleas haven't started blooming yet - I'm jealous! I always love your poppy pictures.
Here is:
1. Little Echeveria blooming
2. Interesting roses
3. Felt bush bloom
4. Yellow bog iris

Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 25, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9138208

Is that a "Scentimental' Rose, Domehomedee? It's beautiful!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9138456

You know it could be. I have a pretty bad attitude about roses. That's because I have deer and gophers, and after years of fighting them to keep my roses I finally just gave up on having any. I had moved this into a planter with a japanese kerria rose in an area that the deer don't seem to go. I really didn't expect to see it again but I'm glad to see it back. My grandfather was a businessman and a rose gardener, if there is a gene all gardeners share I got mine from him!
Sorry about the fuzzy iris. I think I deleted the wrong picture.
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9138550

Wow! beautiful pictures everyone. Misplaced this forum..so glad I found it again.
Twins !

Thumbnail by BeaHive

Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

May 25, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9138843

BeaHive I am glad you found it again. Ahhhhh so cute.
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9139926

Some pics from today
Oriental poppy,siberian iris,dutch iris, Bearded iris-Grateful red,Bloodgood Japanese maple

Thumbnail by BeaHive   Thumbnail by BeaHive   Thumbnail by BeaHive   Thumbnail by BeaHive   Thumbnail by BeaHive

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 26, 2012
10:00 PM

Post #9140040

BeaHive, I'm so glad you found us again. Those are lovely, especially the Grateful Red Iris! Wow!
DWMike
Grenada, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9140361

Hey everybody!! I'm back, for a year at least. ;~) Finally got the funds to pay my subscription again.

[quote="sunkissed"] [b]Some kind of bug, not sure what[/b], Close of a Cuban anole, Green anole, woodpecker getting her nest ready in a dead branch on our oak tree, close up of my Coral Honeysuckle vine against the bright blue sky.[/quote]

The red insect looks to be a Homoeolabus analis (Leaf-Rolling Weevil) ... http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/go/4804

This message was edited May 27, 2012 10:31 AM

This message was edited May 27, 2012 10:33 AM

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 27, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9140561

Hey DWMike. Good to see you!
DWMike
Grenada, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9140841

[quote="HelloMissMary"]Hey DWMike. Good to see you![/quote]

Hey MissMary. Thanks and good to be back. Hope all is well.
DWMike
Grenada, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9140868

A lot of beautiful shots here!! Thanks to all for sharing.

1. Jagged Ambush bug with Halictid bee prey
2. Ailanthus webworm moth - Atteva aurea
3.Leaf Beetle on a flowering almond bush
4. Carolina Anole - Anolis carolinensis
5. Eastern Pondhawk - Erythemis-simplicicollis

Thumbnail by DWMike   Thumbnail by DWMike   Thumbnail by DWMike   Thumbnail by DWMike   Thumbnail by DWMike

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9141690

Quite a lovely set towards the end of this series, DWMike. Beautiful. Nice to see you! Also BeaHive.

Shall we go over to Daily Pics # 144? I take this opportunity now, with your permission [hope you all wont mind me starting it], because this is the post #196 and it has gotten long, of course, filled with fantastic shots. It's been fun, so far. And it SHALL continue!

Let's go over to #144 here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1261397/

Dinu

This message was edited May 28, 2012 9:07 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Photos Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the photo forum! dave 34 May 3, 2013 10:18 AM
My tractor and I, Part II dave 52 Sep 27, 2009 7:18 PM
Spring Spring! and my bowling ball! nicole_in_nc 6 Apr 21, 2010 3:35 PM
Riesentraube tomatoes dave 4 Feb 9, 2008 3:25 AM
It's a Bird...It's a Plane....It's Superdave! gardenwife 27 Nov 18, 2007 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America