We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1241938/

Thumbnail by ge1836
Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

hehe, good morning all!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hey

Thomaston, CT

Ronnie, what a sweet babe....and he has the same name as a good friend , who was not nicknamed Dom, but Donny.....

Thomaston, CT

Thanks, Victor, for the nice article on hellebores.....wondered what to do with the 'ratty' foliage!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

No problem! As I was saying on one of the article threads, it would be nice to get paid each time the articles are run. Many are on their fourth or fifth run, or more.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

our hd cable is down - will probably need a new box, this will be the third one in the last couple months - such a pain wish i could charge them for my time on the phone trouble shooting - still have the "regular" box for the tv in the bedroom.

I would scream about it. Threaten to drop them. They will give you some type of credit.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yep

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

Hey guys!

My mother in law had just finished making, and gave me pictures of, the "In It To End It" Story Quilt she made that we are raffling off to raise money for the Diabetes Research Institute Foundation to help find a cure for people with diabetes (as many of you know, my son has Type 1). I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate to tell you all about it here, but I know I have talked to many of you before about my son having diabetes and that our whole family are advocates as well as spend time raising awareness and funds to help find a cure, so I thought I'd mention real quick about one of the major events Team Lenny (my son's team name) is currently doing between now and May 19th, the day of our local Diabetes Walkathon.

Below are what each square/color of the Story Quilt means:

THE STORY OF THE PATCHES

THE CROSS IN THE CENTER IS FOR THE FAITH THAT EVERYONE WITH DIABETES NEEDS TO MAKE IT THROUGH ANOTHER DAY

"IN IT TO END IT" THANK YOU TO TOM FOR HIS WORDS

ONE RED PATCH, IS THE BLOOD HAS BEEN USED ONE DROP AT A TIME FOR ALL THE BLOOD SUGAR TESTS.

WAVES, ARE FOR THE UPS AND DOWNS IN THE BLOOD SUGAR NUMBER

ROSE, FOR ALL THOSE ROSEY CHEEKS WHEN THE BLOOD SUGAR IS TO HIGH

BEARS, FOR TOYS AND PRACTICE SHOTS.

EASTER AND CHRISTMAS PATCHES ARE EVERY HOLIDAY THAT A DIABETIC GETS TO SEE FROM THE BEGINING OF THE YEAR TO THE END AND EVERYTHING IN THE MIDDLE .

GREEN, FOR ALL THE MONEY THAT IS NEEDED FOR RESEARCH TO FIND A CURE

BROWN, IS BECAUSE WE ALL NEED TO STAY GROUNDED

WHITE, PURITY

BAND-AIDS, REMINDS US DIABETES IS A MEDICAL CONDITION

HORSES, REPRESENT THE STRENTH NEEDED EVERYDAY

LEGS, FOR ALL THE DIABETES WALK THAT GO ON EVERYWHERE

BLACK, FOR THE HOLE THAT WE SOMETIMES WOULD LIKE TO CRAWL INTO

HEARTS AND VALENTINES ALL AROUND THE QUILT, TO KNOW THAT LOVE IS ALL AROUND

Story Quilt Measures 60 inches x 48 inches.

I think she did an excellent job on the Story Quilt! What do you all think?

(P.S. If you are interested in entering for a chance to win the Story Quilt, please DM me. We are auctioning it off both online, as well as offline on May 19th, the day of the Diabetes Walkathon.)

Thumbnail by MrsLidwell Thumbnail by MrsLidwell Thumbnail by MrsLidwell Thumbnail by MrsLidwell Thumbnail by MrsLidwell
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Neat story of all the patches

Have to bring my son in to dr tomorrow, is having weird abdominal pains...appendicitis????

Oh boy. Good luck!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks, he's def not himself

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

Oh no!! Hope he feels better soon flow!

Keep us posted on how he's doing!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

hope all is well Jen

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Good luck Jen, hope it's nothing serious.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Praying for your DS.

Getting the car inspected this morning.

Thomaston, CT

Quite a project making that quilt! I've had diabetic students in class....sometimes it's very tough for them....Jen, hope your little guy gets well soon.....

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Congrats Ronnie! Domenic is cute.

Karen, I loved that timelapse video!

Jen, hope your son will be fine.

Nice quilt for a good cause, MrsLidwell!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Harper.

Beautiful quilt MrsL, good luck with the raffle.

Jen hope all is well with your son, sending good thoughts and prayers your way♥

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

So he has pink eye, liquid in his eye and "pre" strep throat...dr said the stomach thing was all tied in also, so out of school one more day to let the antibiotics and eye drops kick in.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

uck.. sorry Jen

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Glad you took him to the Dr. Praying he feels better.

Just booked our flight to Houston for DH's Easter break. Not nonstop, but for $120 savings per each of us, we can stop for an hour and a half in Atlanta. I was getting discouraged at the prices, but jumped on this fare when I saw it today. Now, to check out fares to Portland for sometime in the summer. We sooo wish the kids lived closer.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I read that you can get the cheapest flights a couple weeks in advance on tuesdays after 3 pm.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Did you guys see this story? AMAZING!!!!
30,000-Year-Old Flower Brought Back to Life by Russian Scientists
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/30-000-old-flower-brought-back-life-russian-171513010.html

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

very cool

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Amazing story Celeste!

Yes, I read that yesterday.

Never heard that, Deb. I hate to wait until the vacation is that close, though. Airfares are def up a lot with the runaway fuel prices. Have not booked our flights for Yellowstone yet. Yikes.

Went to the 911 Memorial with my boys today. I will post some pics when I get the chance. The memorial itself is very beautiful and well-planned. But I was completely shocked and turned off by so many of the visitors. It might well have been Mt. Rushmore or Old Faithful. People taking horrid touristy photos and seemingly not even noticing someone crying just feet away as he or she touched the name of their loved one. After reading so much about the proper mood and balance of the place, I was taken completely by surprise.
My HS friend's name happened to be in a sunny area so that's where all the tourists were standing and posing. I felt like screaming. Was practically a Jesus at the Temple moment. If I did not have my kids with me, I would have ranted to (at) someone. Instead, I will write to someone about this. There should be a little reminder, through signs, videos or by the people working here, what a MEMORIAL is.

This message was edited Feb 21, 2012 8:35 PM

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

so sorry Victor.. some people just don't get it.. those same people should have been at ground zero when it was a mess.. wouldn't be so touristy then

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Is there that same feeling at other memorials? I haven't been to ground zero, but I can't imagine being touristy there or at any memorial.

The best airfares I found yesterday were $398. Today, $239. I thought there was a catch somewhere that I was missing. If they go down between now and April, I'll be sad. I know, I just won't look anymore for a better deal. ;)

Yes, I have seen that type of behavior, though not quite to this degree, at memorials in DC. But it's really apples and oranges. Not only is this still fresh, but there are other unique factors here. In addition to being a memorial, it is a crime scene where 3000 innocent people were killed. Even sadder, it is a cemetery, as more than half of the victims have neve been identified. I think a large sign somewhere visible near the pools, reminding people of this, is in order.

This message was edited Feb 21, 2012 9:48 PM

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

MrsLidwell, your MIL did a great job on that quilt. A lot of work. Diabetes is a terrible thing to have, as are all autoimmune diseases.

Jen, hope your son is feeling better soon. That's good he didn't have appendicitis.

I'd heard that story about the flower. Amazing!

I've always seemed to have gotten good deals when booking short notice. Better than booking ahead usually.

Victor, so sorry to hear about your experience at the memorial. What a shame that people can't be more respectful. Those same people would probably think nothing of taking pictures of the Amish people, even though they hate people doing that to them.

Posted on the other thread after Jo posted a link to a new one, and I didn't see it. Here's my post from yesterday:

Wonderful picture, Ronnie. So sweet!

Marilyn, I'm glad you got the link to work.

Here's a cool video about an ice hotel in Sweden. I might have posted this last year or the year before. When I win the lottery I will go here for sure, just for the unique experience.

http://youtu.be/0NmLaFDJXKU

Karen

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sad that that was the attitude at the memorial, def did not have that feeling at the Vietnam Vet memorial in DC, VERY somber

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

that is how I felt as well

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

"Vietnam Vet memorial in DC, VERY somber" Your telling me? I sobbed like a baby and was not ashamed to do so. That was one of the most powerful, moving places I have ever been to, going back next month so DH can experience it.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

No one liked that war.

The weird thing about the Vietnam Memorial is that is was universally hated when it first opened. That is why they added the statues afterward. People compared it to walking into a tomb. But that is appropriate, I think.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I believe an oriental desighned the Vietnam one. Some clodds just dont get the whole experience. The feelings were orchestrated by the desighner I'm sure. Why do we always need a statue? They are so 17th century.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

These kids are going to be the death of me. My daughter took a header into the blacktop at school....took top layer of skin off her top lip and it's all swollen with a scrap almost the entire length of her face

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.