Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Computer Talk: new computer here... got questions!

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 16, Views: 165
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9012965

I'm changing computers and DH is taking my old one to work.

I can save my documents and photos but would like to stash my selection of favorites.

I know I can go to each site and copy the address but is there an easier way to dump all at one time?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9013027

If you are using IE, go to File, Import and Export. Click on Export and follow directions. Copy the file you exported your favorites to, to your new computer and then do an import from this file using the same tools.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9013206

Thank you! I will tackle this today with hopes of leaving some greenhouse time to spare. Kristi
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9133377

a couple of other options is to use the google toolbar and save bookmarks to it
google chrome will do the same thing

if u use either of these options, your bookmarks will be automatically available on any computer you use as long as u log in to your google account :)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9134146

O.k. I didn't know that Susan ~ thank you.

My husband gave me an external hard drive and downloaded everything to it. I love it and can easily access my old photos and documents. Using Hcmcdoles' directions he even included my favorites.

I need to move things from this computer to the hard drive frequently also. Thanks for the bump. Kristi
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2012
11:13 PM

Post #9134597

lol i love my external hdd... but google makes it even easier!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9134673

I can understand that being easier as I use a couple of different online sites for different storage like some photos.
It is nice to know I can access them from any location/computer. I'll have to look into it ~ thanks.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2012
11:05 PM

Post #9136155

Always welcome :)

And I use photobucket.com for pics... i even have a mobile app on my cel so it automatically uplloads all new pics (in case something happens to my phone)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9136263

Good to know but I haven't moved that far into the 21st century yet. LOL We rarely get cell service here so I depend on a good old fashioned digital camera.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9136651

lol yes, by all means upload ur pics to photobucket then. I have mine going to a default folder that is set to private, so only i can see it. when i want to share a pic, i move it to a public folder then give a link (which photobucket provides!)

lmk if ya need help
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9137200

Thanks much... it sometimes feels like we are a hundred years behind down here.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9195500

If you upload photos to Photobucket or other such website directly w/o saving a backup copy, you should know that storage and photo sites like this sometimes close down and disappear for one reason or another. It has happened with a number of these sites in the past. If you are lucky, the site will let you know well in advance if they are going to close down, so you have time to download your photos 1st. Unfortunately, some sites in the past just disappeared abruptly one day w/o any notice. I doubt Photobucket would be the type to just disappear, but it is something to think about.

Storage is cheap these days. My photos are irreplaceable and very important to me. I prefer to keep a copy of my photos on a USB drive and use the online photo site as backup and/or for sharing. I have several USB hard drives that I can connect as needed. One of these is for photos. If you decide not to keep a local copy of your photos, another option would be to upload your photos to 2 photo sites. It's a little more effort, but that way if one site goes down, you will still have access to your photos on the other site.

Another thing to think about is whether the site provides a means for you to easily download your photos in bulk. One of my favorite photo sites makes it easy to upload entire libraries of photos at once but only lets you download one photo at a time. I didn't realize this until I lost my local copies and needed to download them. If the photo site has your only copy of photos, and if you have a lot of photos as many of us do, you probably want to be sure you can download them quickly and in bulk, an entire library at a time, for instance, in case you ever need to do so (like if the site is going to close down permanently).

Just trying to save you some pain and suffering.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9195613

Dream-

Your post reminds me of a friend's plight recently. His mother passed away about 8 years ago and his father is quite elderly and has Alzheimer's. My friend has been going thru their house, trying to organize things now that his dad is in the home and he has a reverse case of empty nest syndrome.

He called me one night recently asking me about some things he found in the computer stuff of his mom's office. He says "What are these things I've found? They are square cardboard things with holes in the middle. They are about 6" square and it says 'Family' on each one and they are numbered. What are they?"

I don't know how much you know about computers, but what he was describing was the original style of paper "floppy discs" that are from the 1980's. Now when this technology came out, it was great and new and supposed to be the wave of the future. Problem being, we were completely unable to even find a computer capable of reading these discs. I wonder the same about usb devices...

Photobucket has been around a long time, but as you said, sometimes things do disappear online unexpectedly. The way I see it, photos and anything else you might want to keep copies of are still best saved on paper, in a safe place (or 2).

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9195753

Hi Susan,

[quote="susanl61520"]Dream-

I don't know how much you know about computers...

[/quote]

Actually, I'm a Software Engineer.

I'm very familiar with the old 5 1/4" floppy disk and with the pace of change in computer technology. I lived through the 5 1/4" era. I may even still have a computer around her somewhere that reads them. I also lived through the opening and closing of a number of online storage sites to which I personally lost data. Thus my warning.

As I personally witnessed in prior years, a photo site can be up and running today and gone forever tomorrow. Technology, whether 5 1/4" floppy or USB or, for that matter, even the personal computer as we know it today, will not likely be around forever. Like the Dead Sea Scrolls before them, ALL technology and all human attempts at recording information will in time grow obsolete. Even paper does not last forever. However, those changes are all extremely gradual in comparison to the possible overnight closing of an online business or even the well planned and appropriately warned, 2 month closing of such.

Keeping paper copies of photos was a good idea in the non-digital era. These days I have far too many photos to make storage of them at all feasible, in either time, space, or organization. Untethered by the constraints of film in days gone by, I can now take pictures with blinding speed and save them on a device smaller than my thumb for a cost approaching nothing. No, that device won't likely be technologically viable forever, but I will have time, years even, to transfer those digital images to a newer, better, cheaper, smaller technology before that day arrives - and I will be able to move them all together at one time, which is why I also warn everyone to check out how easily (or not) you can retrieve information and images stored online.

The intent of my post above was not to disagree with your ideas about using online photo storage but rather to add to it a timely warning about events which I know from unfortunate experience can & sometimes do occur.

Edited to add that, as stated above, I doubt Photobucket will go offline anytime soon and I don't expect that they will be the type to disappear overnight. Depending on circumstances, a single copy of one's photos stored on Photobucket or other online photo site may be adequate for those for who are willing to take that small risk. Each person must decide that for themselves. I am merely providing information upon which to base that decision.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2012 8:18 PM
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9195875

All good information here. Thanks to you all.

DH fixed me up with an external hard drive and also a thumb drive so I can store in two different manners (or perhaps three counting the current computer. I really love the external hard drive. I have stored documents and photos and they are so easy to access.

SusanI61520 ~ I will hope your friend did not dispose of those floppy discs. Surely someone some where should have a drive. My first computer was a second hand one to learn on and it had the large disc player when everything popular was the new smaller versions. Sorry I don't still have it... Kristi
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9196798

Unfortunately he did throw them away. I was trying to find someone locally who had the ability to read them and transfer the information to a more up to date format.

And Dream... I appreciate your response and see your point. Thank you. You may have just helped convince me of something that will allow my great grandchildren to see photos of my great grandparents

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9197537

Susan,

You are welcome. Thank you for reminding me about saving Favs to google. I had forgotten about that option. I like how that makes favorites available anywhere on the web. As for the photo thing, like I said, it all depends on what one wants and how important the photos are. Some people might take an "oh, well" approach to learning that all of their photos are gone, and for them not having a backup would be fine. I would be devastated to loose mine, so I need more protection.

One benefit of having a copy of your pictures hosted online in addition to a local copy is that, in case of fire, flood, or other such disaster, you would always be able to retrieve your photos. No matter how many backup copies one has, if they are all in the home, they will likely be gone after such a disaster.

I like your wording above. Nice to think your great grandchildren will be able to see pics of your great grandparents.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America