Photo by Melody

Article: The Back of the Pack—A Wealth of Information: FREE seed collecting & storing ideas

Communities > Forums > Article: The Back of the Pack—A Wealth of Information
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Back of the Pack—A Wealth of InformationReplies: 3, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
suzettesprouts
Philadelphia, PA

February 20, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9013238

As an adamant dead header I always put the deadheads in my apron pocket as I go along through garden. I keep in my pockets full of several empty recycled prescription bottles. Reason for prescription bottles is that they are small easy to pocket and best part dark .Believe it or not, one of my most crucial gardening secret weapons is a three pocket waitress or waiter's apron. Sounds silly but I no longer go out in the garden without one on. But I'm a gardener and we are escentrc in one way or another. Save money and collect your own seeds and create gardens you never thought you'd be able to. This takes a little time the only cost factor, is collecting and handling with care and do not forget the most important part label your seed collections otherwise you plant one thing and up sprouts something you can not identify. Take it from me, been there done that and what an oops. But that is why we garden the challenge the surprise of efforts of our nurturing.
To help those reading this let me get to the point. So armed with apron and numerous prescriptions bottles I head out to garden and proceed to deadhead all types of flowering perennials to promote further better blooms. Since once garden is establishisted, you know what plant is what , so label your bottles and know what is where in your pocket. As I go along pinching I place the deadhead in my apron into bottle. Then when done I gather up those collected from the morning and lay them out on paper towel in labeled lunch brown bags. A week later as I repeat deadheading action and when I get to brown bag those seeds from that plant are dried and ready for storage. Prescription bottles are shaded as one does not want seeds in any sun light. I always put the month & year on each bottle. I have actually successfully planted marigolds seeds picked from as long ago as 7 years. There are so many varieties from which you can do this, it is actually endless. And instead of buying the excellent mentioned seeds from Dave's' Garden site that I personally just can not afford, I do this instead. Now when I see plants that I want and do not yet grow myself, well I just go around deadheading anywhere there are plants to gather. I do not consider this action stealing but instead I am doing hem a flavor because they might not know to do this or have not gotten around to it.The best places to gather deadhead seeds for next seasons garden are such places as THE ZOO, botanical gardens, or just walking the neighborhood. Every winter out in my cold but not exposed porch, in a large box of pine needles also free or free saw dust from large chain hardware stores, line up my bottles full of potential seeds place in large box cover and leave till late February. Then I pull out box and attempt to grow my collection from previous year. I am always amazed as to what comes up I love watching those little guys break up through soil and another free way to help promote their growth is I place rotating seed egg cartons also free on top of refrigerator for the heat. If any need light I simply put under aquarium light for few days. Otherwise just put in window area for afternoon sun and by Easter if not sooner you will have enough to give away, that I can promise. Hope you had funny reading and now have the confidence to at least try what have you got to lose few hours out in the sun walking around? Worth the effort.Good Luck will see you all in the garden of life.Suzette Trimmer Philadelphia, PA aka Suzette's sprouts.
suzettesprouts
Philadelphia, PA

February 20, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9013251

Dave meant this to be my first writing submission, did not follow directions correctly, please do not kill me, I tried and I think wrote a pretty good article as you requested. But it did not seem to be ableto apply for the just now found submission form . Now what,(?) is it too late,(?) to be considered, or can it be applied for the writing section? I am so sorry for causing you any trouble, sincerely. I have many ideas to share with your readers pending your approval so if and when you get a chance let me know if I just wasted my time or if it can apply. Your biggest Fan Suzette Trimmer
Thank you for helping me help you.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9013270

Suzette, copy and paste into the "submit an article" area. (I think--I can't see that as it appears to you.)
Harmoney
Allenstown, NH

February 20, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9013568

Great article, Thank you for sharing.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Back of the Pack—A Wealth of Information Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
baker creek FlaFlower 0 Feb 20, 2012 4:26 AM
Dollar Store Seeds jbeau47 0 Feb 20, 2012 6:00 AM
silica dun1kirk 1 Feb 20, 2012 9:27 AM
Monsanto seeds? bevjsmith 1 Feb 21, 2012 2:47 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America