Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Flowers from seed

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 7, Views: 117
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
goldenway
Hudson, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9014006

Hi everyone! I live in zone 5 and last year started some flowers from seed ie: marigolds, morning glory, cosmos ...what else do you all do, recommend are easy flowers to start from seeds? Thanks and happy spring soon!!!!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9014060

Zinnias have to be the easiest I've found. I've wintersowed Sweet Williams(very easy)

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9014127

In ground or inside? Alyssum is easy in or out, nicotiana sandersae Heaven Scent (very fragrant) seeds in or out and also reseeds even in z5. Hollyhocks can be started either, coreopsis grandiflora (p), some of the annual rudbekias are great. Just a few ideas for you to explore. Most of mine that have been started outside are dropped from plants in the ground.

pix: the dark purple is Salvia nemerosa which reseeds (p=perennial)
pix: papaver somniferum annaul, reseeds year to year
pix: verbascum phoenicium, (p) reseeds readily
pix: plant in the back is linum perenne (flax) reseeds readily (p)
pix: seed starting in the spring in my back bedroom with shop lights and a homemade stand

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9015141

Zinnias, inpatients, columbines, coleus, hollyhocks, alyssum, lambs ear, four o’clock, yarrow, bachelor button, sunflowers, bee balm, borage, calendula, Black-eyed Susan’s, rudbeckia, begonias, coleus, lobelia, marigold, pansies, petunias, portulacas, salvia, violas, violets, nasturtiums, amaranth, and snapdragons.

Look and see if your local extension office has a list of what grows best in your area. I seed most items inside as I like to make sure that they grow. If there is an issue with the tap root not likeing to get disturbed then I grow them outside. Look at seed catalogs like Johnny's Seeds, Territorial Seeds, Burbees, Seed Savers, or Renee's to see what they offer. Some of these either self-seed or you can save seeds from.
Nozy
Storrs, CT

February 25, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9019658

2nd on the zinnias and marigold. I also found nasturtiums to be easy, I like the Empress of India one I tried last year, they are a darker red flower and a darker green foliage, pretty cool. Here is a link for the ones I bought. Are you familiar with Hart Seed?

http://www.theonlinegreenhouse.com/heirloom-nasturtium--empress-of-india.html
goldenway
Hudson, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9021635

I have so many nasturtium and morning glories from last years blooms, I love them and they are easy! I am going to try alyssum in my peat pots. Thx
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9023281

Nozy, I'm glad to hear you liked Empress of India. I'm going to try it this year. True red flowers like that are hard to find. I love Nasturiums! This will be my first time to try them from seed.
Goldenway-I had good luck w/Impatiens. I haven't tried many from seed, but those did well. This was a good question-I'm glad to know Allysum is easy. . love those too & will now include them!
Thanks and Happy Spring to you as well!!
Nozy
Storrs, CT

March 20, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9050569

Hey idealpeggy,

Yea, I usually don't grow a lot of flowers. The company I mentioned up above had it in a kit I bought, so I planted them. It's always fun to try new things!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America