Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Caffeine: the most widely consumed drug in the world: Home grown

Communities > Forums > Article: Caffeine: the most widely consumed drug in the world
bookmark
Forum: Article: Caffeine: the most widely consumed drug in the worldReplies: 27, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

February 21, 2012
1:22 AM

Post #9014253

I must confess that I am myself an addict...have been using caffeine for years and keep on doing so. Many people here on Reunion island grow their own in the backyard or even out front as the dope is still legal and you can smell the incomparable smell of roasting coffee beans while strolling around, the aroma is often even better than the taste itself!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9014495

We can't grow it here in Boston, obviously, but I DO grind my own beans every time I make a pot of coffee. Yum, yum, yum. I like my own coffee better than any of the myriad drive-through coffee places we have in this country. A most enjoyable addiction for me, anyway.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

February 21, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9014524

So YOU are an addict, grinding your own is a definite clue! Actually I do not have too good memories of coffee in the USA but I mostly had free refills...so far the best ones I had are the Italian ones and on a different range of taste Greek ones which I like a lot.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9014546

Oh, I have never tasted GREEK coffee; now you have intrigued me!

While we were in Spain last fall (and I was enjoying the Spanish coffee very much), we met up with a friend of ours who is ummmm less accustomed to things being different from the way they are the other 364 days a year than I. So we had our rendez-vous in Barcelona, and almost the first words she uttered were "I can't wait to get a decent cup of coffee!" You see in Barcelona, one of the biggest chains in the US, Dunkin' Donuts, has a franchise, but do they serve coffee that tastes like American DD coffee? Of course not; no self-respecting Spaniard would drink it. So this poor woman who had "indecent" coffee on her flight across the Atlantic, coffee at her hotel with breakfast that was probably wonderful to me but not yet "decent" to her, finally stumbles across this Spanish Dunkin' Donuts. It looks the same, they have the same paper cups and the same logo. At last! Decent coffee! But, sadly, it was not to be. Indecent coffee again.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

February 21, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9014586

Greek coffee is actually usually called Turkish coffee but if you order it under this name in Greece you only get a bad eye and nothing else...anyway, this is a rather special one as very finely grind coffee (flour-like) is mixed with water and sugar then the whole thing is put to heat up in a 'briki' special copper tool until is starts boiling and turned off right away. Of course you have to wait a little until the coffee settles down in the bottom of the cup, and drink slowly leaving a depot in the cup; nothing more hilarious to Greek folks than tourists gulping down the whole thing and producing a terrible face!
I do not want to be insulting but indecent would be the way I'd call average US coffee...

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9015085

Ha ha ha well I suppose it all depends on what you're used to! There are a few foods you've suggested in your articles that I'm not sure are decent to eat.

I am familiar with the type of coffee you're describing but when I was in Turkey I was in my tea-drinking phase. My life can be divided into BC (Before Coffee) and AC (After Coffee).

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

February 21, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9015322

Oh for sure fried wasp larvaes do not fit in everybody's diet...Generally speaking I think that Europeans tend to drink stronger coffee than Americans this is probably why we are so frantic!
So you went to Turkey and its ever-present cai! Such a wonderful country. BC and AC, this rings a bell...

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9015767

Or before Carrie and after Carrie, for some people! Briki -- that little copper ladle with a long handle? Yes, I grind my own beans (but I don't keep them in the freezer) and I use what we call a French press, although I don't know what you actual French folks would call it.

My best friend (who is from the Dominican Republic) keeps saying she wants to come over for coffee because she has a present for me; I'm hoping it's home-grown coffee beans. I know the USDA wouldn't let her escape with anything alive, but surely if it's roasted...

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

February 23, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9016800

Yes, Briki, then go from the most basic to the very elaborate.
I do not know what is a French press but as it is a coffe tool I suspect we call it a 'cafetiére à l'Italienne'...
You are a on slippery path, addict and now smuggler? I hope the FBI does not scrutinizes DG!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9017277

If anyone turns me in, JJ, I'll know which French island to hunt for the informant on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_press

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9017675

Oh, that French press sounds nice! I might just have to get myself one.

Karen

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

February 23, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9017847

Yes Carrie but you know how easily I can hide up in a tree!
Anyway I made an unpardonbale mistake, the French Press is not a cafetiére italienne at all, this one is http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cafetière

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9019373

Absolutely unpardonable! We will, however, forgive you once again, jj.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9019382

Yes, Karen, it's lovely, a $15 grinder and $20 press and I'm in coffee heaven. My DH wanted to get me a $200 cappuccino machine for Christmas but why? I am utterly content with my set-up now, and that would just be more to break and harder to clean.

Plus my single-serving-size French press is ORANGE!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9020109

Nice color! I would love one in lime green.

Yes, if you're happy with what you have, then that's all that counts.

Karen

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

February 25, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9020174

Thanks for such a forgiveness Carrie! And you are right, heaven can be as low as 35$ so why spend more or a machine that will break down in a few months?
I have some delicious coffee cups we bought in South Africa a few years ago, I'll take a pic and post it as soon as I am down with savouring my first morning cup!

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

February 25, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9020182

Here we go!

Thumbnail by jjacques   Thumbnail by jjacques
Click an image for an enlarged view.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9020205

Love the cups, JJ! Tres magnifique! (Hope I spelled that right.)

Karen

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

February 25, 2012
10:54 PM

Post #9020233

You spelled it right but you cannot say 'trés magnifique', either 'trés beau' or 'magnifique' or if you really enjoy them 'absolument magnifique' French is quite tricky...

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9020948

She did as well as she could with our limited keyboards and education! Ma petite fille, qui a 18 ans, is auditioning to get into music school as a singer, and she keeps getting these huge scholarships to come to U of wherever to come and get a degree in French. Malheureusement, elle ne les veut pas. (Quelle stupide!) mais chaqu'un a son gout.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

February 27, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9021529

Limited keyboard? You mean no diacritic signs? I don't get it about your petite fille...

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9022265

My daughter is applying to colleges, some music schools as a voice student (to be the next Broadway star) and some universities she applied to as a French major. She hasn't gotten in to a music school yet but she keeps getting accepted to Honors programs as a French major with a large scholarship! Life wants her to be a French expert but she wants to be an opera singer.

Also, I was saying that Karen (nutsfordaylily) was doing the best she could given that her keyboard can't put accents on without some difficulty.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9022430

JJ, you're right, French is tricky. I think Spanish is easier. Pronunciation is, anyhow. Conjugating verbs, now that's a different story altogether. Ugh!

Yes, no diacritic signs, but I do know, from studying Spanish, that there are keyboard shortcuts to add them, and I'm sure if I Googled them that I could find out what they are. Carrie, I think he meant that my spelling was correct, but the term was not, that it's tres beau, rather than tres magnifique, or just magnifique.

Karen

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9022519

Oui, Karen, everything you say is true. But tres needs an accent, and there is some keyboard shortcut to get it which I do not know.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9022577

You're right, Carrie, and I don't know it either. And too lazy to try and look it up on Google right now. Just not that important to me.

Karen

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9022618

Likewise, my dear. I do like those S. African mugs a lot! This article wasn't even about coffee, that's #1, and #2 I'm supposed to be doing something else. Right in the first sentence I say that I'm not talking about coffee or tea! Coffee had a whole WEEK, remember? I didn't write one because I didn't drink coffee back then.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

February 27, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9022715

All right Carrie, got it this time! Try to convince your daughter that applying as French major will lead her to a carrier as French Opera SInger! And I know many more US people will want to learn French just in order to chat with Jean Dujardin!
I agree, accents can be a bad headache at times...

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9022758

Well, Carrie, you must understand that when you start talking about caffeine, the coffee is what everyone thinks about, as it seems to be the most popular of all the caffeinated plants we use.

Karen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Caffeine: the most widely consumed drug in the world Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Yep, caffeinated here too ... Cville_Gardener 1 Feb 21, 2012 7:23 AM
Excellent research done for this article vossner 12 Feb 23, 2012 6:23 PM
good FOR plants? icflowers 4 Mar 1, 2012 9:57 AM
Morning wake up 3pmp 3 Mar 4, 2012 7:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America