Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Vegetable Gardening: Growing AMARANTH

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 46, Views: 273
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9014600

I bought seeds of Joseph's Coat "Perfecta" Amaranth from Baker Seeds:
http://rareseeds.com/vegetablesa-c/amaranth/joseph-s-coat-perfecta-amaranth.html
I read in their book that it is a "catch crop" for cucumber beetles.
Also, Amaranth is cultivated in Asia for its leaves. To be used in salads?

Does anybody has any experience to share, please?

Thumbnail by drthor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9014611

here what I found:

Amaranth is a warm weather crop best sown around the same time as corn. The large to enormous flowerheads put on a magnificent long lasting display. Full sun with staking needed if growing for seed /or ornamental.

Amaranth leaves are succulent and nutty when eaten raw for the first few weeks and make superb cooked greens. Eaten in some form throughout much of the world, either as a seed grain or like spinach leaves.

Nutritionally, it is a complete source of protein, which is uncommon for a plant. Rich in vitamins A, B6, v C, riboflavin. It contains such minerals as calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper, and manganese.

Strip the Amaranth's young leaves for stir fry, and allow the plant to mature to full seed head for an outstanding back garden display. Use successive planting for a continual harvest. One of my favorite summer crops - if you love spinach, this will definitely top it.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9014785

i havent grown josephs coat..but i have grown loves lies bleeding..and opopeo..both annuals
the opopeo i grew.and still get volunteers..for the birds to eat..they love the seeds..
also the opopeo gets really tall..and have a stunning red flower top.. great for
background areas..
as for nutritional value..ive read similar what you have..
the josephs coat is a lovely plant..just havent tried it.. yet.. :)
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9014839

Oooo that's pretty!
I haven't tried the 'perfecta', but grew 'oscar blanco' and magenta spreen. I prefer to eat them raw mixed with other greens, or cooked with another ingredient like pasta or veggies. I can't quite acquire a taste for them all on their own. They do taste like like spinach, but the texture isn't the same to me. I love spinach, so nothing is its equal.lol

I can grow them in crummy soil and if I grow them in fertile soil they get massive. Then it takes a machete to cut them down. I also try and cut them down before they go to seed or they'll be all over the garden the next season:0)

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9014886

Thanks
So I understand that they will be my "summer spinach" right?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9015195

Grown for the grain it is very healthy and consumed worldwide. I've only grown for ornamental purposes and never thought to graze on the leaves. It is very pretty and will reseed if you are not careful.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9015599

What do you do with the grain?
Cook them ? uh ?
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9015775

Drthor, it loves the heat and will supplies greens when the kale and chard have gone bitter.

Pod, I've heard that about the grain and it was one of the reason I wanted to grow it (for the chickens and ourselves), but I'm wondering if certain varieties are better suited. The 'Oscar Blanco' seeds are so tiny, I didn't feel like I could get them clean.

Has anyone grown a large seeded amaranth?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9016590

It appears to be a very versatile plant. Yes, the grain can be cooked like a cereal or even popped like a popcorn. It can also be ground into flour for baking. http://www.versagrain.com/amaranth.html

I've not tried it and like Cocoa, I think the seeds are so tiny. Not sure what the prefered cultivar for edible amaranth would be.

Here it is near the end of Feb and one of my kitties just came in with a snake bite. She is a sick girlie. Hard to imagine they are out but it was 81 here today.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2012 9:44 PM
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9016824

There are several types of amaranth. The type grown as a spinach substitute is Amaranthus tricolor, The grain amaranth is Amaranthus cruentus. Vegetable amaranth
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=amaranth&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=Amaranthus+&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=tricolor&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Grain amaranth http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=amaranth&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=Amaranthus+&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=cruentus&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9016888

[quote="Farmerdill"]There are several types of amaranth. The type grown as a spinach substitute is Amaranthus tricolor, The grain amaranth is Amaranthus cruentus. [/quote]
I would just add that the nutritional data I've seen indicating Amaranth supplies a complete protein is based on analysis of the seeds, not the leaves. And that the ornamental varieties, while technically edible, weren't bred for their table quality.

-Rich
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9017270

Ahhh, very cool, and informative. Maybe that's why I'm not crazy in love with the flavor. Think I'll try some from the farmers market before investing in more seed tho :0) I've got to try that teensy pop corn too!

Pod, so sorry about the kitty, hope she's getting some rest and feels better soon. I appreciate the warning, I'll make the kids boot up.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9017756

Seems I am running into Amaranth information all over... http://www.tropicalpermaculture.com/amaranth-plant.html

Farmerdill ~ thanks for the links and additional cultivar names.
Thanks too , Rjogden for the nutritional info.

Here's hoping some of us will grow an edible crop!

Cocoa ~ the kitty is sore but all right which is more than I can say for myself as I try to dose her with liquid antibiotics. Woe is poor ole me... lol

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9017778

WOW podster,
the link you just posted did answer all my questions.

Now I have just to grow it for myself ... and I can hardly wait ...
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9018368

I'm excited for you, Drthor. Report back, I'm curious to know what you think of the taste and texture.

It must be something in the air, Pod, our cats are getting into all kinds of trouble in the last few days. This morning I found our oldest with a cut on his head and it looks like he slept in mud all night????
I wish they could talk.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2012 12:22 PM
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9018378

Amaranth can reseed heavily. I have lots of the elephant head type and they are huge plants. Palmer amaranth is getting to be a scourge in cotton fields now...pigweed weed type.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9018413

That's true, true. Even cutting the seed heads off there are some that still escape!

Pigweed is pretty bad here too. I'm grateful not to be faced with the decision of hiring field help or adding more herbicides.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9018416

Amaranth can be invasive. Im growing it too but it is listed as invasive under the right conditions (Texas)

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9018643

Betsy (Inthegarden) just gave me a little Amaranthus 'Red Stripe' seed, for the leaves, and I at first guessed from the name that it might be Amaranthus viridis 'Red Stripe Leaf' (a.k.a Yin Tsai, Chinese Spinach).

Now I see almost identical listings under A. tricolor, and the fact that most A. viridis have all-green leaves (hence "viridis").

I'm wondering how to identify seed collected from someone's garden as either:
- A. viridis with an unusual red-striped leaf,
- or as any of many A. tricolor varieties.

The vendor was just "J-Kay International", a shipping-trading company, not a seed vendor.

The closest picture I've found is of a Botanical Interests seed pkt:
Amaranth Edible Red Leaf Heirloom
Amaranth tricolor
(even though it only has green & red foliage, no yellow)
Een Choy Hiyu , Caribbean Callaloo , Indian Bhaji

heat loving summer green ... showy ... foliage has a hearty spinach flavor ... loves the heat ... salad greens ... steamed, stir fried, or sauteed

http://priceforay.com/product/Amaranth-Edible-Red-Leaf.html
http://www.botanicalinterests.com/products/view/0146/Amaranth-Edible-Red-Leaf-Heirloom-Seed/srch:Amaranth%20Edible%20Red%20Leaf%20Heirloom%20Seed

I'm sorry to see confirmation that it is heat-loving! That may be why I got some to sprout, then pout, then wither away during our last, cool summer (highs in mid to low 70s).
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9018663

Rickcorey, you might do better with pigweed (don't you love the name.lol) magenta spreen. It germinates around the same time/temp as lettuce, the amaranth sprouts much later for me.

Thumbnail by cocoa_lulu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9018695

I'll keep my eyes open for a "pigweed" trade.
I always join the Hog Wild Piggy Swap, I would think it would be widely available there!

Maybe I should accept that I just have cool summers, and take advantage of that to grow spinach as long as possible. I trued last year, but I think the soil was too poor and too clayey.

Boy, a lot of things are called pigweed! I found one "spleen", but no "spreen".

Smooth Pigweed, Green Amaranth, Spleen Amaranth , Amaranthus hybridus
Purslane / Portulaca oleracea
Redroot Pigweed / Amaranthus retroflexus
Goosefoot, Pigweed, Inca Wheat, Quinoa , Chenopodium quinoa
Giant Amaranth, Pigweed , Amaranthus australis
Thorny Pigweed, Calaloo, Calalu, Amaranthus spinosus
Tumbleweed Amaranth, Prostrate Pigweed, White Pigweed, Amaranthus albus

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9018747

This pigweed is called lamb's quarters too. lol
It's Chenopodium giganteum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chenopodium_giganteum
I didn't save seed last year, too dry for them to mature in the lawn. There are already spouts to be seen within the last few days , but they don't mature until late fall. I wish I could send you some now, but if you can't find any or a substitute, let me know :0)
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9018758

For those of you interested in Vegetable Amaranth, Evergreen has a good selection http://www.evergreenseeds.com/edamyintsach.html. Grain Amaranth and Quinoa are harder to find. But there are still folks experimenting with it. Quinoa is supposed to be more suited to cool climates. Much heavier seed yields than the leaf types.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9018813

Thank you, Farmerdill!

Drthor, Farmerdill's link reminded me that you might like the perillas.
I tried it a few years ago, loves heat, dry conditions. Like the others it reseeds like crazy. It's considered a gourmet green http://www.apinchof.com/shiso1119.htm
I didn't care for it and it took a few years to pull up all the seedlings, but others love the taste. Oh, and the bees went crazy for it!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9018831

That Tree Spinach / Chenopodium giganteum /Magenta Spreen / Purple Goosefoot / Giant Lambsquarters sounds like a monster! 6-8 feet tall? 2-4' wide? Wow.

If it grows in the UK, it must tolerate cool summers, so I could probably grow it. But I would like to test it first, in someone else's yard, who has bigger beds than I do!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9033924

Cats fight get vicious gouge meats, tear tails, snake bites-cats are natural snake enemies, but they will get cautious after being bitten from crawling around under houses, making mud love will be either mama or papas soon, dont think antibiotics work on snake poisons...raw skin/missing hunks of hair... think I would go for the horse shed and the purple stuff (gentian violet) if anything, since they will be cleaning the sore places when they start feeling less sore. And kitties that are neutered catch fits being out in a fertile world in this season...

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9033932

Amaranth has been around since the Mayans at least, it is found in the wilds even. You can find Quinoa in boxes in the grocery stores already cleaned-at least Brookshires here in the south has it,
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9033938

LOL ~ after two different vets' recommendations, I give them antibiotics. Apparently the snake fangs can cause infection which is far more serious to them than most venom. The little girlie lost about a quarter sized area of fur from the venom. Probably a small copperhead. Meds are done and all is well. Kristi

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9033949

I will keep that in mind, just puzzled me, I can see an increase in snakes again this year, too, be careful in the gardens..
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9033961

Always conscious of the legless critters ~ thanks. I am always hesitant to overuse antibiotics but as much as I try to reason with the cats, they don't always listen when I tell them not to meddle with the snakes!

I badly need to rake which will eliminate their hiding places. We are way too windy and there are more fires in this area. Not a good sign!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9034041

They always give antibiotics for snake bites venomous or not. its because the snakes bite deep and their mouth isnt sterile. I wouldnt worry about overusing antibiotics Kristi, in this case it was needed. Every animal Ive ever had that was the usual course of treatment. Unlike humans they cant tell you when the bite is becoming infected. Treating the infection is much more costly and time consuming then just giving the antibiotics right off the bat.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9034122

Thanks Lisa... our vet said it is rare for a pet to die from the actual bite but the infection does the damage. I'm one of those that expects the worst so try to be prepared.

Kittriana ~ tell me, is the Quinoa that we can buy in the store the same as the Amaranth grain we would raise?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9034304

Chenopodium quinoa is a chenopod related to beets spinach etc. Pitseed Goose Foot (Chenopodium berlandieri)) and Fat Hen (Chenopodium album) are relatively common weeds in North American, where both species are called Lambsquarters. Both seeds and leaves are edible, but do not yield the quantity of seed as the cultivated Quinoa.

Amaranthus caudatus, Amaranthus cruentus, and Amaranthus hypochondriacus are the species of Amaranth grown for grain.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9034918

Botanical Interests sells an ornamental Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa.)

http://www.botanicalinterests.com/products/view/2013/Quinoa-Brightest-Brilliant-Rainbow-Organic-Seed/srch:quin

They say you can eat its grian, but the emphasis seems to be on the colorfull heads as dried flowers (hot pink, burgundy, red, orange, yellow, white and green) and edible young leaves.

A quickie search among my usual sources did not turn up a seed source for the grain varieties!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9034961

it is my understanding and there is a thread about this some where that Quinoa is for cool climates and Amaranth is for warm climates, Im sowing it this summer.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 8, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9035170

'Seeds Of Change' in New Mexico has a bunch of amaranth resources, I think Farmerdill means the stuff in stores is the better food resource if you wish to try it, the wild variety is slimmer pickings...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9035926

[quote="1lisac"]it is my understanding and there is a thread about this some where that Quinoa is for cool climates.
[/quote]

Corey ~ Maybe you could try some quinoa this season. I hope to grow some as well. Maybe it should be started soon, and then I will sow some of the amaranth later on.

Evelyn

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9036069

I've had that BI packet for a few years now. Now that I've learned how to start seeds instead of kill them, or serve the seedlings as Slig Salad, I miught have better luck.

But I'm so far behind, I haven't even started petunias, Alysum, violas or my favorite salvia.

Even more tempting, I chopped down more juniper bushes so I COULD create 2 small rasied beds ... still have to chop more roots, screen rocks and add compost.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9036572

The vintage Quinoa discussion here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1113285/?hl=quinoa
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9036688

Thats it! I thought it was last summer wow time flies.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9038946

Yes, especially when we are having fun... lol
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2012
9:58 PM

Post #9038948

More surprised that my memory goes that far back. Lol. Pod got your tomatoes planted out yet?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2012
10:11 PM

Post #9038955

Nope and it is a good thang... they would have mortally drowned today. What a toad strangler!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2012
11:15 PM

Post #9038969

Lol, yes definatly a Toad Strangler, however that's not how I would have put it.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9039099

Now Lisa... I was only trying to be pOlite. lol
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9039843

Yes, you were " only" trying to be polite. Im going to use that term to discribe the rain to my family in Ca. wonder if they wIll understand what I mean? I think I'll FB it.

Corey, I too feel like I'm sooo far behind I keep having to remind my self it's only March.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9040198

One thing I;m trying on myself is to say that I didn;t REALLY want petunias and new violas this year. Or poppies or more Salvia.

If I believed that, I wouldn't feel AS far behind.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America