Photo by Melody

Article: Caffeine: the most widely consumed drug in the world: Excellent research done for this article

Communities > Forums > Article: Caffeine: the most widely consumed drug in the world
bookmark
Forum: Article: Caffeine: the most widely consumed drug in the worldReplies: 12, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9014742

I was about to correct you about yerba mate as I didn't believe MATE had an accent mark in the E. Well, it appears it can/does, in some places. I stand corrected. Anywho, I adore yerba mate. In Latin America kids used to love it b/c it was an innocuous way to get high or wired. These days you can go to the ethnic supermarkets and get a canned version, which is absolutely awful.

As to coffee, I sip a daily cup, which my darling husband brings to me every morning. I don't really like coffee, but I enjoy this morning ritual w/ him. I don't like the bitterness. NHNT, but I believe that cleaning the filter part thoroughly is de rigueur, as not doing so promotes even more bitterness.

What about chicorium Intybus? I think that it contains a little caffeine, too. Most people don't recognize the botanical name, but mention Cafe duMonde in New Orleans and their delicious chicory coffee, and they'll go: "ahhh" I love it but not enough to make it a daily consumption. Ditto on fancy Starbucks coffees (or as my better half says, "frou frou" coffees)

What an excellent article, thanks

Thumbnail by vossner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 21, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9014914

Carrie, excellent article ! I must confess I am an addict to caffeine too, but I preffer long coffee, not too strong.

Adina

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9015082

Long coffee, Adina, what is that?

I thought chicory just resembled the coffee flavor if roasted; I was not aware pf any caffeine content, but now I will check! Thanks for pointing that out. As for bitterness, I use a french press and I love my coffee; it's always wonderful, never bitter.

Thank you ladies both for your comments.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 22, 2012
2:04 AM

Post #9015472

Carrie, I think this is an Italian term we are using here. They are usually drinking very strong coffee, espresso which we call short coffee.
My Grandma used to drink chichory and I loved it too.

Adina

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9015751

OK, now I understand nearly everything in the world. Well, almost. Maybe next year.

Survey shows: chicory contains a great many things, but not caffeine. As a coffee additive or substitute it started out to stretch supplies of coffee, and now is an acquired taste, both in the US and in Europe. (Also grown for forage for livestock.)
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9015850

Carrie, you are so totally correct. I went back to my source and it was referring to chicory/coffee blends. I misread and chicory contains no caffeine whatsoever.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9015992

*never gloats, not at all, no no never*

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9016240

Wonderful article, Carrie. I love my coffee, too. I have especially developed a liking for Starbucks new Blonde Roast, which has a much smoother flavor than their other blends. And I love iced mocha lattes. I try to get decaf most of the time, however my first cup of the morning, brewed at home, is regular.

Karen

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9016290

Yuck, I've never liked Starbucks, it always tastes burnt to me, but I have never tried Blonde Roast. Do you grind your own beans? It takes just an extra second and the taste difference is exceptional! On the other hand, this article was supposed to be about caffeine NOT in coffee and tea...and that's ALL we're talking about, lol

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9016292

I like the spider-web picture the best!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9016445

I buy the whole beans from Starbucks and have them grind them for me. I've heard a lot of people say it tastes burnt, but I love it. I do like the Blonde Roast better, though. Much lighter than their others. They just came out with it to satisfy the demand for coffee that's not as strong.

I can't have too much caffeine or I'll feel like that spider, too.

Karen

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9017280

You and me both--although as happens with any drug, my tolerance is increasing. I need more more more to get the same pleasant buzz as last year.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9017667

Personally, I don't drink coffee for the caffeine. I drink it for the taste. The taste with cream/milk and sweetener added. For me having it black is just gross. I don't like the taste of it black. Yes, it's bitter. I don't drink anything else that has caffeine.

Karen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Caffeine: the most widely consumed drug in the world Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Home grown jjacques 27 Feb 27, 2012 8:50 PM
Yep, caffeinated here too ... Cville_Gardener 1 Feb 21, 2012 7:23 AM
good FOR plants? icflowers 4 Mar 1, 2012 9:57 AM
Morning wake up 3pmp 3 Mar 4, 2012 7:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America