Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: ZONE 8 - SPRING season 2012

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 225, Views: 1,403
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9014966

It looks like Spring is already here in Dallas.
The sky is blue, the birds are singing and I have a huge problem of "garden fever".
Am I the only one?

Let's start to talk about what you are already started indoor and outdoor in ZONE 8.

I'd like to start this thread and thank everybody that in the previous year’s help me a lot with my gardening.
I would have not be able to learn so much without the help of fantastic Davesgarden members.

I am going to begin with the hero of the spring and early summer season here in Zone 8: TOMATOES

I started my tomatoes indoor in December and I did plant out 40 plants last Friday.
The plants are under a hoop house and doing well.

PEPPERS: This year I did start on January 12th
I am growing only sweet peppers.
I have already potted the best seedlings up to a 6" pot.
I am planning to transplant them out end of March - beginning of April.

Last year I did transplant my peppers too early - and some did get stunt ... I think

Thumbnail by drthor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9014971

PEPPERS
Half of my peppers have already start to bud and soon they will flower.
In the previous years I did remove those buds to concentrate the energy of the plant in growing instead.

But ... A few huups happened ... when trying to reach for the flowers ... I did snap a branch instead ...

So will it be better to leave the flowers ?

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor
Click an image for an enlarged view.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9014973

EGGPLANTS:
I started my Eggplants from seeds on January 12th also and some on January 20th
I love Eggplants. This year I am growing some new varieties.
Like a huge green eggplant from Baker Seeds called Cambodian Green Giant : http://rareseeds.com/vegetables-d-o/eggplant/cambodian-green-giant-15901.html
and I am very curios about this Aswad eggplant : http://rareseeds.com/vegetables-d-o/eggplant/aswad-eggplant.html

This is not really a great picture.
I have already potted up my eggplants on a 6" pot.

Thumbnail by drthor

texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9015213

Well, let's see...besides tomatoes I started indoors several varieties of Chinese cabbage, two varieties of romaine lettuce, collard greens, four varieties of eggplants and one pot of cilantro. It's all up and the cabbage and lettuce and collards have been set out in the garden. Eggplants really like warm feet so it will be a while before they make it to the garden. Planted two varieties of sweet peppers in the last couple days. They are on heat mat at night and outside on warm sunny days.

Yet to be planted indoors are a six squash seeds and a dozen cucumber seeds.

I planted direct into the garden three varieties of beets, collard greens, three varieties of Chinese cabbage, two varieties of romaine lettuce, swiss chard, potatoes, lots of different types of radish, turnips and mustard, and as always Dixondale onion plants. Everything is up but the potatoes. I feel lucky in that I have great stands of everything I planted. So far so good!

I have a good stand of volunteer dill scattered about the garden. One of the dill has already formed a nice head.

Today I set out 10 tomato plants bringing the total to date to 26. I will plant 13 more in pots and raised bed starting tomorrow and 16 in my straw bales in two or three weeks.

Will be planting soon in the garden cucumbers, okra, corn and pepper plants.
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9017073

Onions, beets, collards, Swiss chard, Chinese cabbage, Romaine lettuce, radish and mustard all up and growing.

Thumbnail by texasrockgarden   Thumbnail by texasrockgarden   Thumbnail by texasrockgarden

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9017089

TexasRock, you are way ahead of me! I did the final soil prep for some peas, broccoli transplants, beets, lettuce, and spinach today. I hope to get the rows raked up and seeds in as well. I also have to get the plastic fencing up to keep the dogs from wandering through and to at least discourage our resident rabbits. The rabbits love to nip the pea seedlings as they sprout. : ( I hope to have some tomatoes planted in Season Starters in a couple of weeks.

David

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9017133

texasrockgarden
you ROCK !!
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9017324

drthor those eggplants and peppers look great!

My eggplants are coming along in 4" pots. They are about 2-3" tall. I recently planted Lemmes Italian peppers (saved seeds from last year) and an F1 bell pepper from Twilly's Seed co. but they have not come up yet. I plan to buy 4 or so jumbo jalapeños from nursery or big box store.

David, being ahead doesn't being first at the finish line.:) All we need is a severe winter storm to settle in for a couple days and the show will be over for me. I do have backup supply of tomatoes. As a matter of fact I have 56 needing to be potted up to 4" pots today or tomorrow. By March 15 or shortly thereafter I'll have leftover mater plants ready for the compost bins.
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9017502

Ggirl ask, "Is there time for turnip roots to form from seeds sown now, in the Texas area? When did you sow your beets seeds? What kinda greens are you growing?"

I use a Central Texas Vegetable & Herb Planting Calendar (laminated Gantt Chart) by Diane Young. It shows to have turnip seed in the ground b4 March 1. The greens I planted were a hodgepodge of all the seed pkts of mustard, turnips and radish I had bought over the past four years. A house cleaning so to speak. I got amazing germination much to my surprise. They are as thick as dog hair. I pull up handfuls wash the roots and feed them to the chickens. I think the mustard was Savannah and Florida Broad leaf. The turnips White Lady, Shogoin and Tokyo Cross, all white turnips.

I planted beets as well as all the cabbages, lettuces and chard on Jan 18 or 23. I wrote it on the calendar both days but only planted on one of the days. The beet varieties are Ace, Kestrel and Pacemaker lll (new). Last year I canned (pickled) 3 or 4 quarts and 3 or 4 pints of beets. Looking forward to increasing that amount by about 50% this year.

Hope this helps.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9018219

Thanks, TRock!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9026594

Pepper flower .. isn't beautiful ?

Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9026597

Peppers and Eggplant are doing well, growing indoor in their 6" pot.

I will start mid March seeds of:
Okra, cukes, squash and watermelon and maybe some beans too.

Thumbnail by drthor

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9029943

I'm a little behind the eight ball (as usual), but I did get my tomatoes and peppers started today. I still need to plant my jalapenos, though. Also plan on getting my peas planted this week. I do have onions already planted.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9031072

I have direct seeded some BASIL near my tomatoes.
Also, I have noticed that some "COW-PEA" seeds left in the garden last year, did germinate on their own ... they are about 3" tall ...weeeeee
Right now it is 77F ...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9032163

Stephanietx,
By STARTED, do you mean seeds or transplanted seedlings?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9033216

I started seeds. I told you, I'm getting a head start on FALL! LOL LOL LOL
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9033419

Stephanie, many people on DG plant out eariler then your average gardener (myself included) but this requires having the time to protect them if/when it freezes. I dont plant out my main crop until after Easter. SOMETIMES those that I planted later produce before the early ones, it all depends on the weather, which is changing hourly at the moment. lol Many times the early ones have next to no root system, Im assuming that has to do with the soil temps (?) but not really sure.

That beinging said you may get tomatoes over the summer but if you keep your plants a live over the summer you will have a great fall crop. Last summer was the first year I didnt have some tomatoes all summer long.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9040236

Today, I sowed carrot seeds and radishes. My tomatoes have started sprouting!! Was a bit worried since the seeds were ones I'd purchased for last spring.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9040920

Steph, I'm glad to see your putting in carrots too. I wasn't sure, but decided at the last minute for more carrots and beets.
Also sowed more lettuce, trying 'salad bowl' for the first time.
Another first, radish.. 'black spanish', suppose to be hot!
I'm headed out in a few to seed 'bush blue lake'.
Then maybe start soaking some okra...can't decide.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9040996

If it's not hot enough for the okra, don't start the seeds yet. They'll just sulk and stall...
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9041025

Sorry, Linda. I should have been more specific. I'd be soaking and starting these indoors to plant out next month.
School is out this week, 7 days to do nothing but plant seeds! And the ground is still too wet and too early to get out into the field. :0(

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9041073

My peppers indoor are growing really well.
Half of them have baby pepper fruits.
My eggplants also started to make beautiful purple flowers.
Tomorrow I will start seeds indoor of:
OKRA
WATERMELON
SQUASH
CUCUMBERS

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9041094

I usually just direct sow cukes, watermelon, and okra. I do soak the okra seeds overnight tho. Seems like I had better luck direct sowing than transplanting. Also, I have some cantaloupe seedlings popping up in the midst of my onion bed. LOL

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9041128

That's great.
My biggest problem with direct sowing my seeds is PILL BUGS.
They have been great this season until the rain we had recently ... I saw them again on my baby radishes ...

I don't want to use any chemicals on them. The easy solution is just to start my seeds indoors and transplant them out when the trunk is a little thick. Pill Bugs will not bother them.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9041228

I've got the transplant bug too, just seems to work better then direct sowing for me. I think it's because our sandy soil is hard to keep moist enough for things that require longer germination. I hate dragging the hose out this early in the season as well.

I'll have to direct sow watermelons this year, because I'm planning a large patch.
I am going to sow inside some Armenian cucumbers (really a melon). Haven't grown them before, but figure if they don't transplant well, it will still give me plenty of time to direct sow some more.

Steph, remember the conversation about elephant garlic, and toes vs. bulblets. One worked for you and the other for me. Well last fall, none of my bulblets came up! Just like mother nature to prove me a fool, just when I got it all figured out.lol Luckily I still had some toes left over and sprouting.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9041280

I have seeded some LETTUCE and it did germinate.
Yes, I am a "seed squeezer" ... and I love to "throw and grow" ... oh well

My rule when I seed:
1 for me
1 for the wind
1 for the birds
1 for the ants

... sometimes they are just all for me, like in these pictures ... giggle ...

This bed is waiting for Eggplants ... the lettuce will just grow on the shade of the eggplants until the heat will arrive ...

Thumbnail by drthor

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9041291

Coco_lulu,
Eggplants don't take long to shoot up. In a month you'll be living in "The Eggplant Land of the Giants!"

LOL!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9041504

Gymgirl do you mean Okra?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9041571

Lynnea, the little bulblets of garlic I planted in fall, 2010 sprouted over the winter!!! I have about 9 small garlic plants growing. LOL

For pill bugs, I sprinkle coffee grounds and sluggo plus.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9041631

stephanietx, my pill bugs are monsters ..
they don't bother me now ... I have learnt how to live with them ...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9042345

Eggplants are flowering.
Will they make fruits without pollination? like peppers and tomatoes?

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9042348

Pepper fruits forming on my plants .. weeee
They look so happy indoor so far ...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9042775

Sorry, 1Lisac,
I did mean okra!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9042906

Yummy looking pepper, Drthor! Don't know about eggplants, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along.

Too funny, Stepanie! I think my bulblets are under a compost area now. I'll move the debris and give them a fighting chance this fall.

I sowed the okra, 'clemson' and 'burgundy', and some Hibiscus sabdariffa. I'm sooo excited about the sabdariffa, I love Red Zinger tea!!

Never did find my bean seeds??? Will pick some up later this week, instead shoveled compost all day:0)

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9043029

Today at my garden club meeting we had a fantastic program titled "sex in the garden".
It was a fantastic slide show presentation with insects and pollinators in the garden. Just amazing.
In one of her slide show she wrote that Eggplants need to be pollinate in order to have fruits ...

That's ok ... I can wait.
Eggplants here grow so well and at the end of the season I am overwelmed.

I don't understand what you guys are talking about GARLIC ...
I planted mine at the end of September and some more at the end of October and they will be ready soon ... and I cannot wait !!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9043134

I have trouble with eggplants..sigh..I think my soil is too acidic for them. I've decided to wait till next year to try them again, once I raise the ph.

Elephant garlic is not a true garlic. I think it's in the leek family, only it looks like a HUGE head of garlic. They are grown by cloves (called toes) and they also produce a small hard bulblets that you plant like a seed.
You must try them, Drthor! You cut the top off, drizzle with olive oil and roast till softened. Then you squeeze the cloves onto fresh bread. Yum!

They are milder in flavor then a true garlic, so you can eat more!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9045601

More pepper are making fruits.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9045916

OMG some of my seedlings I started just a couple of days ago did germinate !
My heat mat temperature is at 85F.
So far: Okra, Watermelon and bean are already up

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9046539

Okras up here as well, I have them on the porch, no heating mat, but it has been 80* outside anyway.

I still don't have peppers sown :0(

I got some green beans planted and a plot of 'golden bantam' corn. I need to plant more of each, still can't walk in the field garden without sinking..and more rain on the way.

Planted a row sunflowers for the chickens, some basil, zinnias, cosmos around the veggie beds.

And sowed summer squash: a yellow scallop, a white scallop, zuccino rampicante, early crookneck, and zucchini.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9046553

The weather outside has been so nice today and the soil temperature is raising too.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9046555

80% of the cucumbers I have sown on the 15th (2 days ago) have germinated and also the Okra WOW ... so fast !
Tomatoes outside are growing well.
I have started to hardening off in my back porch peppers and eggplants.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9046584

We planted our peas today! We planted both Wando and Alaska. The Alaska's are old, so it'll be interesting to see if they do anything. The radishes are up and I saw one carrot sprout today. Yippee!! I think we're planting pole beans tomorrow!

Thumbnail by stephanietx

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9046603

WOW ... I don't understand how you can grow PEAS now ... I never had good luck with them. You must have a super green thumb !
Keep posting pictures of your peas, please!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9046616

Will do! The pic I posted is of my radishes, but when the peas sprout, I'll post a pic for you. :)
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9047444

drthor wrote:WOW ... I don't understand how you can grow PEAS now ... I never had good luck with them. You must have a super green thumb

Me neither. All the green peas I've been able to grow stopped flowering and producing new pods as soon as the daytime temperatures got into the 80's. Here in Florida (and in Georgia), that doesn't leave much of a season between the last hard freeze and the heat. Starting in March the only peas grown here are Vignas (cowpeas).

I'm also interested to hear how they do.

-Rich
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9047602

Rich
Are purple hull peas considered "cow peas")? I was given some purple hull peas to plant and I'm not sure I know what to do with them. I've only tried growing sugar snap peas and snow peas both with dismal results. I'm going to try them again this year, both on a trellis like I have in the past..

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9047674

Yes, they fall in the southern pea category. They are black-eyed peas and grow about 12"-18" tall. They either need to be grown between two closely spaced cattle panels or on some kind of support. The first time I grew them, we didn't know that and it was a pain to pick them.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9047932

They're also a pain to shell. When my dad was a traveling salesman (he only traveled by car) and I was a young sprout, he would stop at a roadside vegetable stand in the summer and buy several pounds of purple hull peas. By the time he arrived home after driving sixty to a hundred miles, he'd have all of peas shelled having left his car window open so he could toss the hulls out the window as he shelled them. He held the pan for the peas in his lap and steered the car with his knees. My mom liked when he did this it since all she had to do was cook them and makes a pan of cornbread to go with them. Life was so much simpler back then. My childhood memories of eating purple hull peas were what made me think to ask the farmer I met for some seeds.

My dad also helped me become an entrepreneur when I was still a sprout. At the same vegetable stand he would buy huge watermelons and bring them home. I would put 2 in my little red wagon (they were so huge that’s all it would hold) and I would pull my wagon around the neighborhood selling watermelons for $0.25 each. I never knew for sure if I was a great salesman or if my dad would call our neighbors and ask them to buy a watermelon from me, because I don’t remember anyone ever turning me down. The best part was that I never paid my dad for the cost of the watermelons so every sale was pure profit for me.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9047999

Hrp,

When I was a kid, we had a gadget with a pea-pod sized hole that had
a handle that held a razor blade. To use, you just pulled the black-eye or purple-hull through the hole. The tough skin was sliced open and you could easily shell the peas by running your thumb down the slit. My mom pressure canned the peas we grew.

David
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9048535

David
What do you think about "Mr. Pea Sheller"?

http://www.lawn-gardening-tools.com/pea-sheller-and-bean-shellers/mr-pea-sheller-and-bean-sheller---pea-sheller.html
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9048538

dreaves wrote:Hrp,

When I was a kid, we had a gadget with a pea-pod sized hole that had
a handle that held a razor blade. To use, you just pulled the black-eye or purple-hull through the hole.

Pea shellers are still available. Several different makes/models. Search on "pea sheller". Most are under $40.

e.g:
http://www.amazon.com/Lees-Manufacturing-600R-Pea-Sheller/dp/B000BTATUG
http://lawn-gardening-tools.com/pea-sheller-and-bean-shellers--pea-bean-sheller.html

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9048596

hrp50
Last year I did grow for the first time COW PEAS ... I didn't have a clue on what to expect.
I was looking for a vine variety to grow around my A frame swing.
I grew:
http://rareseeds.com/vegetablesa-c/cowpeas/california-blackeye-pea.html
http://rareseeds.com/vegetablesa-c/cowpeas/monkey-tail-cowpea.html

The plants grew really well and beautiful.
Lots of leaves in the summer ... with our record 100 F degrees days and almost no water.
I kept cutting the vines to fed my DH pets.

All of a sudden at the end of August ,beginning of September lots of pods started to form.
I harvested them when they were tender and ate them like green beans ... I have no patience to shell them ...
They were just delish and full of good vitamins.

I will grow them again this year.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9048622

Look at those runner beans growing ... weee
They are 6" tall already ... in less than 4 days !!!

Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2012

Post #9048626

Cucumbers all germinated ... even the extra seeds ... bummer ... now I will have to kill some ...
Squash half germinated and Okra on its way

Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9048629

Peppers and Eggplants hardening off on my back porch.
The wind is blowing like a missile today.
Tonight those babies will need to come indoor. 59F forecast.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9048634

My tomatoes are growing really well and making flowers.
Most of the plants are touching the top of the plastic cover.
Soon I will need to remove the PVC hoop house ...
But for now ... the wind is blowing too high and the plastic is really protecting those plants.

I did fertilized them yesterday with 1tbsp of BAT GUANO each plant

This message was edited Mar 19, 2012 10:01 AM

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9048758

@HRP,

I found the Mr Pea Sheller last night, when I started looking for the sheller we used when I was a kid. I have one of the hand-cranked shellers on order. We will see how it works!

David

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9048772

We planted our bean seeds yesterday. Hope they don't float away in the expected heavy rains coming our way. On a positive note, I have carrot seeds sprouting!!
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2012
11:13 PM

Post #9049682

dreaves wrote:I found the Mr Pea Sheller last night, when I started looking for the sheller we used when I was a kid. I have one of the hand-cranked shellers on order. We will see how it works!

I ordered one today, too. I'm planning cowpeas (aka Southern Peas) and edamame, so hopefully it will be worth the price. Either that or I'll use it as a conversation piece on the living room table. ;o)

-Rich

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9049916

I was thinking to use those COW PEAS as a decorative vine in my front yard landscape, just like a potato vine ...
The vine was so green all summer long ... I think it'd be really nice in this way
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9050170

Decorative, pecdorative, drthor. Cowpeas are made for eating, maybe secondarily for decoration. If you don't eat your cowpeas, send them to me and I'll shell them with my handy dandy Mr Pea Sheller and eat them.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9050175

:(

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9050261

They don't grow tall enough to be decorative.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9050264

If you want a vine, look at the hyacinth bean vine.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9050287

Dont argue with a man that has a "handy dandy Mr Pea Sheller" lol

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9050317

stephanietx
the Cowpeas I grew last year were very long vines

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9050349

@Lisa... it's another one of those "manly" gadgets. I had to order one myself as soon as I decided to grow purplehull peas!

hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9050383

David
But yeah, you were too manly-man to order one that uses a power drill to turn the crank. You bought one that you have to crank by hand. I bought the girly-mon version that you don't have to expend any effort to turn it. My dad will probably turn over in his grave when he finds out I'm not shelling peas by hand like he taught me when I was a boy..

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9050417

HRP--

I may make one of the blade cutter versions just to demonstrate to my daughters. I can't find the plastic-handle hull cutter online except as a historical item on EBay.

To make a sheller, it is easy to drill a hole, 3/8" or 1/2" in a small block of wood, Then, tap an Exacto-knife blade into the side of the block, into the hole, so that the tip is exposed inside the hole. Cut or break the excess blade off the block. When you push/pull the pea through the hole, the blade tip slices the pea hull, making it easy to run a thumb down the hull and shell the peas. That's how we shelled peas for years (but later used the store-bought plastic version.)

David

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9050437

"Girlie 'Mon" version! LOL!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9052073

I have started to harden off my peppers and eggplants ...
Last night I brought them inside and left them in the family room.
Could you tell me which kind of bug did this to my pepper leaves?

Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9052078

well... I cannot keep y'all waiting.
It was Bronto ... grrrrr ... bad kitty !!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9052079

My peppers have fruits

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9052080

Lettuce is growing too

Thumbnail by drthor

rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9052491

drthor wrote:well... I cannot keep y'all waiting.
It was Bronto ... grrrrr ... bad kitty !!

Maybe you should plant him his own pot of oat grass. Sounds like he needs some greens (or entertainment).

-Rich

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9052501

rjoden I have six kitties now in the house. My DH brought me home two new ones, they are identical twins ... he said:"go in the bedroom and you will find a surprise ..."
All my kitties are well behave (no jumping or breaking stuff) and they all like different things ... I am glad that only one likes to chew on plant leaves.
He has a plant that he chews once in a while - he likes pointy leaves ...
Pallina likes to eat vegetables,Torchy likes popcorn, Nemo is food aggressive and he steals gnam-gnam from the other kitties, the new twins, Pupa and Truffles, so far just play with each other and they are full of love ... and with that face ... sooo cute

I forgot ... last year Bronto sat on op of my just emergency seedlings ... I think because he felt the warmth of the heating mat ...

Anyway ... they are so cute !

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9052609

My newest kitty that we adopted was named Torchy by the rescue group. We changed her name to Daisy. She doesn't respond to anything! LOL

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9054634

I have started from seeds indoor:
basil
amaranth
malabar spinach

I am hardening off some runner beans.
I have prepared a new area to grow beans ... I found the net at Lowes and I just attached to my fence. Why not?
It is a new area for me. There are sprinklers in the other side of the fence, and I am sure that the soil will be wet enough for the beans.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9054637

My tomatoes are growing really well.
I have secured cages around them and I still keep the perforated plastic in case of high wind.

Thumbnail by drthor

rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9057383

drthor wrote:I forgot ... last year Bronto sat on op of my just emergency seedlings ... I think because he felt the warmth of the heating mat ...

I think you may be reading too much into it. In my experience, cats do things just for the sake of doing them. Anything new in the house, my cats have to climb on / jump in / try to play with. I count myself fortunate neither of them feels compelled to taste everything, though Sid does have a little chewing problem. There are a LOT of plastic plant tags around here with teeth marks, and if I'm not careful to put them away, I will find them in the oddest places (kitchen, bathroom, sofa). He thinks everything is a toy.

-Rich
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9057532

Rich, "for the sake of doing them"? Are you sure...don't all cats have a master plan?

So far germinated:
Corn 'golden bantam'
hibiscus (tea)
luffa
misc. lettuce and radish
okra
green beans (raised beds)
anaheim peppers
basil
carrots

waiting on:
Squash
tomatillos
misc. peppers

Got 90 of the tomatoes planted out, soil was still damper then I would have liked, but I can't wait any longer or I'd picking toms out of dixie cups.

Waiting on morning soil temps to reach 70* to plant sesame seeds, this will be my first try. Excited!

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9057543

I think yesterday was a bit too hot for my English peas. If I get home tonight and they look like they did yesterday I'll be pulling them out and planting green beans in their place. My soil isn't warm enough for peppers yet. The soil is still so saturated and I think that is keeping the soil temps lower. Maybe sometime this week if we get more sun. I usually dont' put my peppers out until my pecan trees start to leaf out. And no leaves on the pecan trees out at my place yet. I'm kind of hoping they are late and not just dead! My oaks just did leaf out...
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9057565

Oh no, I was cheering for the peas, Terry. I've never been able to grow them well and have given up..for now.lol

We lost our pecan and all the magnolias. I was wondering were to plant the luffa gourds, I've got my cattle panels save for other plants. Thought to myself, why not use the dead magnolias.lol If that's lemons to lemon-aid, I don't know what is ;0)
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9057591

The luffa on the dead magnolia I think would look cool!

Every year DH tells me the pecans are dead. And every year they leaf out once the temps get consistantly up in the 80's. These trees are huge. One of them showed signs of stress last year (see photo), but the other four looked OK. They all produced good crops of pecans last year. If they are still alive then this year will be slim. The guy down the road from us told me that around here you plant out your peppers when the pecan trees leaf out, so I've always done that.

Sorry about your magnolias. We only have two. One did great as it is in the middle of a rose bed and got a good soaking once a week. The second is on it's own right now and we just hand carried water to it every week or so. It did loose some limbs, but is still alive...

Thumbnail by terri_emory

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9057691

Rich, cats DO think everything is a toy!! Thank you for providing such fun entertainment for your cats. LOL

I have peas sprouting, but am not sure if they'll survive the heat. I planted 2 varieties, Alaska & Wando. Wandos are supposedly more heat tolerant, so we'll see.

We planted pole beans last week, just before and after the big rain. Some have already sprouted! Woohoo! Never grown pole beans before, just bush beans, so I'm looking forward to this year with them.

Yesterday, I planted cucumber seeds. We'll see what we get with those, too. I planted Lemon cukes (so tasty and perfect for a single serving) and Marketmore.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9057879

Terry, your pecan looks pretty good to me! When I had pecans in the city they were always shedding branches, drought or no drought. The pecan I lost was the second sapling to die on me. I can't seem to find a good spot around here. Are yours on more of a clay base?

Stephanie, still cheering on your peas :0) gooo peas!
juliabentley62
Danville, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9058118

zone 5 here and it's spring:) Been close to 80's and I have got my tomatoes going...Peppers...cucumbers...all inside and really growing...a few others and feeding with worm compost. Moved nineteen plants to larger pots yesterday. The only thing I dared to start outside was peas I popped into the soil by my porch trellis with a few 4 o clocks and morning glory seeds. Peas are a cold agreeable veggie so I just did it. Was tempted to plant some other cold loving veggies...but decided to give it a few more weeks..or at least a couple lol.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9058442

I am growing watermelon for the first year.
One of the variety I selected is: Moon and Stars Yellow Flesh
http://rareseeds.com/vegetables-p-z/watermelon/moon-and-stars-yellow-flesh.html

Look at its leaf ... wow ... it also has the yellow spot ... so cool !

Thumbnail by drthor

rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9059242

cocoa_lulu wrote:Terry, your pecan looks pretty good to me! When I had pecans in the city they were always shedding branches, drought or no drought.

...and if you know anybody who makes their own BBQ, save that deadwood! As long as it's not completely rotted through, it's excellent for smoking meat, and it can be very hard to find unless you are in an area where there are a lot of Pecan groves.

-Rich
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9059249

One of the old trees practically exploded about three years ago. We cut it down and I have a rather large pile of pecan wood. I burned it in the fire place this past winter. The yard smelled very nice! =)
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9059328

Mmm, yes. We throw our fruit and hickory woods right on the grill coals too. Not as strong as smoking, can still be tasted tho. I get upset if catch hubby throwing fruit wood in the regular ole brush pile.

I got more tomatoes planted and should be done with them tonight, tomorrow okra and squash. Then, maybe, I can start thinking about starting more seeds, yay!

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9059471

Can't believe it, but my purplehull peas popped up over the weekend! Squash and cucumbers are peeking through too. Dusted with Sevin this morning. I have both flea beetles and cucumber beetles munching on the green beans. I was gone over the weekend and the baby beans were decimated. I will probably have to replant. : (
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9060322

Oh no, Dreaves. Hate it when they undo all our hard work. Found that something is munching my green beans too. My biggest spring nemesis are the worms. They are thick this year, I keep finding inch worms crawling on ME!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9060475

I just planted out a new bush bean (for me). Vittoria. This is going to be my year for new beans to try! Pole beans, bush beans--we've going to have a very beany season this year, LOL! Oh, and new squash too.

I was going to rip out all of my English peas. Upon inspection I discovered that two varieties were not doing half bad. So I left a half row of Sweet Provence and almost a full row of Freezonia. I don't know how I missed that Freezonia had a bunch of pods going. But I'm going to try a fall planting of English peas and see if I can get better production. I also think I may have planted too deep. I'm used to planting peas in a northern garden. It may be that peas are like grafted roses and planting depth varies with planting zone.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9060528

terri_emory
in Dallas the "Pea" experts told me that we have two dates to successful seed peas: September 1st and February 1st
WOW !!
Good luck and keep posting

I have removed all of my Broccoli, Kales, Kohlrabi, Spinach and Fennel.
My planting out date will be MONDAY April 2nd FRUIT day until 3pm.
I will transplant: Cucumbers. Squash, Watermelons, Peppers and Eggplants ... weeee

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9060556

Same here, Terry. We love beans! I've got Valentine Black, blue Lake, Cream-40, noid cream pea, and some asparagus types for this year. I still may pick up some wax beans. I desperately want some purple colored green beans, too late to order. Please, let me know if you see any locally. What kind of squash are you doing?

Thanks, Dthor. Next time I try them will be a fall planting. Every time I've tried them February, more then half rot. Transplanting would do them well, but it would take way too many to do that sort of work.lol

Edited to say, I think snow peas do better then others for the south, but those have been persnickity here as well ;0)

This message was edited Mar 28, 2012 2:01 PM

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9061589

My transplants hardening off in my back patio

texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9061742

Fantastic!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9062281

I'm sick I tell ya, sick!! Went to the feed store today to pick up some compost and other gardening stuff. Ended up with more tomato plants and a jalapeno plant! I have no self-control! LOL
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9062351

LOL, take two geraniums and call me in the morning :0)

looks like a beautiful few days to get them in tho. Just finished the last of the okra...too tired to pick dinner!

This message was edited Mar 29, 2012 5:01 PM

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9062414

I've got beans and peas coming up!!

The lemon cukes I planted the other day (Sunday) have started germinating! I found one lone watermelon volunteer and we have tons of honey rock cantaloupe volunteers.

Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9062501

how many bean plants for person do you suggest to plant?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9062624

LOTS! LOL I have absolutely no idea. We usually eat the peas before we get inside with them.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9064150

Tomatoes are growing really well and they are starting to make fruits

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9064153

My transplants have been waiting in the porch for while now.
They are under the sun and they look great.
Monday and Tuesday will be a FRUIT day ... finally

Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9064154

OKRA is growing really well indoor.
Monday or Tuesday I will separate each seedling into a 4" pot.

Dreaming of roasted Okra, Gumbo ... Etoufee'

Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9068165

In my compost bin I have growing:
two tomato plants and one zucchini !!!

All by themselves !

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9068166

Tomatoes are making lot of fruits and growing well.
I keep removing suckers every day ... it seems they grow like 2" overnight !

This message was edited Apr 3, 2012 10:46 AM

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9068168

Peppers and Eggplants have been transplanted outside and mulched with pine needles

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2012

Post #9068176

Cucumbers also transplanted outside. They are 2 weeks old.
Let's hope the PILL BUGS will not attack them. I did plant more than I need ...

As soon as the lettuce around will be finish, I plan to also mulch them with pine needles.

Squashes are planted in the front bed by the flowers ... let's hope the squash vine borer will not find them

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9068177

This is my first experiment growing runner beans.
I transplanted them outside growing by the fence.

Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9079814

Cucumber plants are growing well ...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9079821

Cherokee Purple, Momotaro and my favorite yellow cherry GOLDEN NUDGET

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9079823

updated picture of what is growing on my compost bin ...

Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9079826

I have planted some zucchini between the garlic this year too ...
Right now I am eating lots of Swiss Chard and I am using small radishes seed pods in my DH salad.
They are really spicy, but he loves them ...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9079829

Okra is hardening off in the back porch.
My planting date will be April 21st.

Thumbnail by drthor

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9080167

dr, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has things growing in their compost pile!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9084505

Cucumbers started from seed only one month ago are growing really well.
They started to develop tendrils and attach to the wire cages.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9084507

Onions are making a bulb ... so exciting ... this is my first year growing onions.

Thumbnail by drthor

LizaMouse
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9085546

drthor wrote:Tomatoes are making lot of fruits and growing well.
I keep removing suckers every day ... it seems they grow like 2" overnight !

This message was edited Apr 3, 2012 10:46 AM

This is my first year having any luck with tomatoes. I'm used to starting them in May in Tennessee and if you start them in May down here, it gets too hot before they can set fruit. This year I planted them in early March and they are going crazy. Would you mind describing to me or snapping a picture of a "sucker"? I have what I think may be suckers but I'm not sure. I know a rose sucker when I see it but not a tomato one! Thanks.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9085572

here some good picture of a sucker:
http://inthegardenonline.com/main/2011/10/how-to-prune-tomato-plants/
also here http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/planting-tomatoes-in-a-growing-bag/index.html
LizaMouse I think you did great starting so early.
I have transplanted my tomatoes outside on February 17th. It is a big risk, but I get rewards every year.
When the crazy heat starts here in DFW, tomatoes stop to make fruits and start to make just leaves ...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9085923

I have harvested my first peppers yesterday.
I will use them on my Etoufee'

Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9085926

Here are the cucumbers making tendrils

Thumbnail by drthor

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9085989

The first peppers, how exciting, enjoy lunch! Yum

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9085997

Blonfkophfen tomatoes ... so many flowers

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9086016

Datura reseeded from last year

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9086019

Confederate Rose

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9086032

Plums, Blackberries, Peaches ...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9086036

sorry ... pictures of flowers posted in the wrong thread.
I was on the phone with Italy and got distracted ... aaahh

Here are some of my Pole Beans ... my first year growing them , so I dunno what to expect

Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9090333

Sungold tomato is starting to change color.
Lots of tomatoes in all the other plants

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9090334

I have planted BASIL every three tomato plants.
I have done it every year. The flowers will attract bees and the plant will improve the flavor of the tomatoes.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9090335

Pole Beans are growing taller.
Strawberry are making fruits.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9090337

Cucumbers are growing like monsters already.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9090340

Zucchini are growing too ... hidden between the garlic.
The Squash Vine Borer has not found them yet ...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9090342

Peppers and Eggplants are growing too.
Peppers are starting to make lots of new leaves and flowers

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9090344

Eggplants are getting taller and making flowers too

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9090346

I have removed my Fava Beans plants and harvest the last beans.
I am ready to plant the Okra.
Sunday or Monday are FRUIT days.

and I am DONE for the summer season !

LizaMouse
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9090858

Thank you for the 'sucker' pictures, drthor. I've picked off the obvious ones but I don't want to get too pinch happy since I'm a rookie. Putting the plants out early has sure paid off though.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9093659

I have planted Okra outside today.
I am done !!

Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9093660

My first ripen tomato of 2012 was ready today.
SUNGOLD !!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9093664

Cucumbers and Cantaloupe are flowering.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9094709

It is here already : the SQUASH VINE BORER !!!
I was outside looking at my cucumbers and I saw it !! monssssterrrrr
I went in the front to check my zucchini and every plant was full of eggs ... at least 20 each !!
I pick the one I found ... but I am sure I did miss a lot of them ...

My dream of zucchini is gone already ...

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9095059

I have peas!!

The onions have started bulbing, too!

Thumbnail by stephanietx   Thumbnail by stephanietx

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9095069

stephanietex you are awesome !
I cannot grow peas !!

My onions are just like yours. When are they going to be ready?
This is my first year growing onions ... I cannot believe I didn't grow them before ... so easy !!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9095149

I planted bulbing onion plants on January 8th, 2011 and harvested from July thru August.

All I've read puts harvest approximately 100 days from plant out (more or less).

They grow best thru the winter and into spring, and tolerate short dips into the mid-30s (with some protection). I threw old sheets over them, in mid-Jan and they were fine.

I planted waaaaaaaay late this season, and, although they are bulbing up now, I'm not happy with them growing into the heat. I keep checking and expecting root maggots any day.

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9095151

Don't want to hear that about the Squash Borer. I wonder if there is something that can be injected into the stem to kill them. Maybe using a kitchen syringe. There has to be something. After all you hid your squash. I don't really care for Zuke but will they bother the cukes too?

This is going to be a really bad year for bugs. Almost every whole I dig has a grub in it, but I like smashing them. Lol. Then the fowl eat them.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9095341

I did find a few eggs in my cucumber plants too.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9095348

Great, the story gets worse but I can't say I'm surprised. Dang! Did you find them in the main stem?
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 23, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9095351

Did you put *any* preventive measures in place to repel the SVB? Just curious. There are several methods discussed in various forums to prevent the invasion. If you do nothing, they will visit.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9095362

She put them in a totally different location. I didn't even know what they were until I moved to TX. I didn't have them in SOCAL. In fact if I had 3 plants the neighbors hated me by the end of the season.lol

I try to plant my cukes and such later here to avoid them all together but I really want to make pickles this year. I haven't been able to do that in a long time. Can you give a quick run down of some of the preventative measures? So they are all in one place. Thanks.

This message was edited Apr 24, 2012 9:26 PM
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 24, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #9095483

As soon as the sun comes up I'll give you a picture. Thousand words and all that...heh heh...

A different location? So the SVB read maps and might get lost trying to find the new location? just kidding - early morning humor, coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9095680

From what I've read, the best defense against the SVB is PREEMPTIVE TIMING of when that moth comes around to lay the eggs. I believe it's supposed to happen around mid-June, but looks like that has been thrown off by our mild winter weather. All sorts of creatures usually controlled by the winter are multiplying and swarming like crazy. Yesterday I heard the termites are having a field day, so watch out.

If it were a "normal" season, the suggestion is to cover the squash seedlings with floating row cover or some lightweight, breathable fabric at plant out so that when the moth comes round, it can't land on the vines to lay the eggs. The cover stays on until after the egg-laying season, then you can remove it.

At least, that's how I think it goes...
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 24, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9095782

Yes Linda, that's one way. The downside to that one is lack of pollination with row covers on. One could hand pollinate but I feel so ... odd ... hand pollinating those large squash flowers. [giggling here]

Lisa, I believe you and I engaged in this SVB discussion last year and you had difficulty getting your head around my toilet paper roll defensive jackets. :-)))) The first year I grew squash here, I lost the entire batch, like drthor, to svb. did a bunch of research and found some information about enclosing the vine in a length of pantyhose secured at ground level with some wet soil. I did this one year and had no svb. I was talking it up on another board and somone mentioned they had used empty toilet paper rolls with the same good results...and it's easier than putting panty hose on the vine. That's what I did last year. No SVB.

Okay, this may be coincidence but I'm going with it again this year. Photo below. The idea is that the svb emerges AT THE SOIL LEVEL to lay her eggs. If you can protect the first 3 inches of the vine, you're good. Lisa, your comment was that the SVB lays eggs all along the vine. My returning comment was/is...only if they can get to the vine from the soil level. That's what I hear. Try it. What else are you doing with old, used up toilet paper rolls? ;-)

As you can see, these are planted at the base of an old grapefruit tree. My plan is to let them climb up. The second pic gives you a long shot of the area. (This is my new straw wattle garden, the one on the left is 'under construction', the cinder blocks will grow some cutting celery and flowering plants for bee attractors, not yet filled or planted. Too few hours in the day.)

BTW, I *think* I'm on topic except my zone is off. I'll slink over to dreaves Veggie Garden thread next.

Thumbnail by MaryMcP   Thumbnail by MaryMcP

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9095790

Oh Mary, don't worry about being off by a zone!!

The best preventative maintenance for the SVB is to not plant squash. LOL I also think growing vertically is supposed to help. I've only grown squash once since I'm not a squash fan. We had every single vine attacked by SVB so I gave up. They also attacked the pumpkins I planted.

This message was edited Apr 24, 2012 11:25 AM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9095826

MaryMcP,
Would 4" lengths of PVC pipe over the plants like your TP tubes work as well? The PVC could even be cut to 6" and shoved down into the ground 2". I think it's a stroke of genius you're exhibiting there!

This gives me courage to go forward with my ONE zucchini squash plant that I currently have under lights inside.

Once I plant it out (hopefully this weekend), this is what it'll grow on.

http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/simple-squash-trellis

This message was edited Apr 24, 2012 10:26 AM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9095830

stephanietx,
Here in ZONE 8a, last year I was very successful growing Zucchetta Tromboncino (which it was suppose to be a SVB free plant)
I had so many beautiful zucchini and they tasted so sweet.
I hope it will be the same this year.
I am not going to treat or do anything for the SVB ... if it doesn't grow here ... it is just not meant to grow.

This message was edited Apr 24, 2012 9:00 AM

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 24, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9095847

The reason you were successful with tromboncino is because it is a solid core vine. Zucchini, crookneck, and some other summer squash are hollow core vines, nice nesting for the SVB.
Quoting:...if it doesn't grow here ... it is just not meant to grow

That's pretty funny really, I'll leave it there. See you all on another thread...somebody is shouting about Zones.

Linda, the pvc should work but I like the cardboard idea better. Good recycling.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9095856

Yeah.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9095880

That's great ... and I also agree that "some" members just want to cause troubles ...

So let's go back to amazing gardening in Zone 8 and let's hope that SVB will not find those beautiful plants ...

Thumbnail by drthor

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 24, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9095893

I find that implication offensive and fail to see who it is that you are agreeing with. You stated that squash vine borers decimated your crop of squash. "Some" members were attempting to assist. Where's the trouble?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9095926

Spraying with Bt weekly is supposed to help, too. However, if it rains, you have to reapply. You can also inject Bt into the stems of the plants above and below the site of the borer and supposedly kill the worm. I've also seen videos on YouTube of gardeners who slice the stem open, remove the worm, then close the vine and wrap with pantyhose or bury it to allow the stem to grow back together. I've tried Bt and it was marginally successful, but you have to be vigilant in applying.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9095935

stephanietx,
thanks so much for your reply.
When I started to garden here in DFW I just couldn't believe I was not able to grow zucchini !
Many time I have heard from my (no-TX) friends that the easiest vegetable to grow is zucchini ... but I just couldn't !
I normally had just a few zucchini and after the plant will just wilt and dye.
I have read all about the SVB and seen the youtube videos ... spayed BT and bad stuff like Azatrol ... used the foil, the toilet paper roll and the silver mulch ... I am done !
So I just keep my finger crossed I might harvest some fruits ...
You let me know how you will do in Forth Worth ... it seems like you have the "gold" thumb for crops I cannot grow here in Irving.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9095945

We will probably try growing small pumpkins again this year, but we won't do squash. We'll plant the pumpkins in June or July. Need to check my planting calendar.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9095956

Drthor,

Some people don't understand the full concept of message boards and public discussion. Once a discussion is opened, anyone can choose to participate. Generally it is accepted that the content of messages posted are relevant to the topic/forum, but that has some flexibility. If a topic is not open for full, public, discussion then it should be done through e-mail or other private channels. It is expected on a medium like Dave's that everyone is permitted (even encouraged) to participate. Even the regional forums aren't restricted. It's generally considered that everyone can have relevant opinions and can contribute useful information regardless of their location. A case in point is Dr Carolyn Male, tomato expert. She lives in New York-- if she was only allowed to discuss tomatoes with others in her area the rest of us would lose a huge resource. Others may not be quite so expert, but still have experience and ideas to share.

David

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2012

Post #9095958

sthephanietx,
could you suggest a pumpkin variety that does well in our Zone8a please?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9095961

dreaves
I agree with you and thanks for all your contributions.
So now, let's go back to happy gardening.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9096505

Drthor, just plant another zucchini seed a month from now. The SVB take time to kill a vine. By the time the second plant is producing, pull and destroy the first planted zucchini. Works better then crossing fingers.lol
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9096617

From the paperwork I have the SVB is usually active around April and May. The vining squash (pumpkins) that I grow I normally direct seed around June or July, so I miss the SVB "window".

I just talked to a friend of mine today and she just lost a zuke plant to squash bugs, I'm with Stephanie tho. I don't like squash enough to go to a lot of trouble to grow it. Lol

Mary, thank you I get how the roll protects the stem on bush varieties but I don't know how it would do on the vining types? But since I plant them later in the year I don't seem to have a problem. One reason that crop rotation is done is so pests won't continue to thrive in the same location. My first couple of yrs of gardening here I didn't have any problems with bugs but each yr after well...in So Cal I had Zukes coming out of my ears. Lol now I just plant later.

Linda, zukes are generally a bush plant, I don't think they need to climb on anything.???

The bugs are going to be bad this year. I know that anything I let complete it's life cycle will come back to haunt me next year. ARGH...Mary, since your in the same zone as GG you both can give us a heads up on what to expect. Lol

This message was edited Apr 24, 2012 10:04 PM

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9096636

I was outside today removing all of those SVB eggs with a sticky tape ... I turned around and the SVB was just following me putting new eggs on the plants !!
By the way, the squash growing by itself in my compost bin is already huge !!

I will try to seed more plants like cocoa_lulu suggested later in the season ...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9096641

I've discovered a "stinkbug nymph nation" on a rosebush, so I'm popping them every day, before they grow up and attack my tomatoes.

Good thing nymphs don't fly!
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9096667

stephanietx wrote:Spraying with Bt weekly is supposed to help, too. However, if it rains, you have to reapply. You can also inject Bt into the stems of the plants above and below the site of the borer and supposedly kill the worm. I've also seen videos on YouTube of gardeners who slice the stem open, remove the worm, then close the vine and wrap with pantyhose or bury it to allow the stem to grow back together. I've tried Bt and it was marginally successful, but you have to be vigilant in applying.

I think it would be interesting to try injecting the hollow stems with some BT suspension before the worms get in. If they are consistently boring in at the soil line, you need only inject that section of stem. AFAIK it is sunlight and/or rain that deactivates or washes off the BT protection, so if the bacteria are inside the stem it should persist, right? Hypodermic needles and syringes are available from most livestock supply stores - they sell the jumbo sizes needed for cows & horses, which would be dandy for a bunch of squash. No reason to do any cutting or pasting - the injection hole is very small.

Now I wish I'd left room in my plan for squash...maybe I can do without some of the beans.

-Rich
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9096671

MaryMcP wrote:The reason you were successful with tromboncino is because it is a solid core vine. Zucchini, crookneck, and some other summer squash are hollow core vines, nice nesting for the SVB.

Is tromboncino a true squash or is it a gourd used like a squash? (What color are the flowers?)

-Rich

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9096676

The flowers are yellow and the fruit is amazing.
I am away from my main computer ... but here some older posts:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8907618
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8906726
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8906732

I was upset I gave a lot of them away, because their taste was just the best.
They are yellow-orange inside and very very long !
I harvested millions in October last year. FANSTASTIC and really recommended !
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9096958

Rich, the short answer is, it's a squash not a gourd. And they do grow quite large (long). Mine grew up (and over) my chain link fence. And don't forget about spaghetti squash!

cocoa_lulu, You are right about succession planting to get summer squash even if SVB are around. That was one method mentioned in an article I read about control methods. By the time the bug has decimated your first plant, the next ones are coming up. And so on. Good idea, thanks for the reminder.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9097030

Well,
Seeing as my one and ONLY Zucchini squash plant is getting ready for the journey outside, I'm thinking I might try Rich's suggestion and shoot that bad boy up early on. I was fascinated the first time I read about injecting through the stem into the predator without having to cut through too much of the stem.

My only concern is how the Bt will infiltrate the worm. Will external contact with the Bt do it, or does the worm still have to eat some of the vine pulp to ingest the poison?

Hmmmmmmmmm.

I guess these are the kinds of words Edison used before he invented that light bulb, huh?

Ok.

Bye.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9097461

Rjogden, tromboncino is a C. moschata. All moschatas are know for solid stems, and SVB resistance. Some I think of as pumpkins, others winter squash, or winter squash eaten young as zucchini, or zucchini.lol I guess it just depends on the variety, it's look, personal preference and, or, use.

I'm testing out 8 varieties of moschatas this year, going to narrow down my preferences.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9097464

I was just reading an article today on the Texas Gardener magazine about squash Tatume.
The editor favorite and SVB resistant.
I have found it on the web here:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/newsletters/hortupdate/2010/jun/tatume.html

Has anybody try this TATUME squash in zone 8a?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9097467

http://sustainableseedco.com/Tatume-Squash-Seed.html
I am ordering seeds
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9097477

Drthor, I haven't tried it. It's on my wish to try some time. I have heard it's a HUGE, long, vine. Give it lots of space and let me know what you think of the flavor.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9099391

Beans are growing, Okra transplants are surviving, Cucumbers are making fruit

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9099396

Tomatoes keep growing

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9099401

Bye bye garden ... I will leave for a 2 weeks trip leaving my DH in charge ... ooohh
I have installed some extra security patrol for my tomatoes: Giovanni, Guido and Giuseppe ... the ferocious snakes ...

Wish me luck !!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9119947

While I was away my DH harvested some tomatoes ...weeee and send me a picture
He is the best.

Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9119952

Now I am back and I started to harvest lots of tomatoes.
The tomato plants are loaded of fruits.
ONly one of the larger tomato is ready, the othes are still green.
In this picture you can also see RADISH SEED PODS ... it was just too hot for the radish root to form, so I let them go to seed.
If radish seed pods are harvested small they are very tender and good to eat.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9119956

The rest of the tomato plants are going crazy.
My DH was "scared" to remove the suckers ...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9119963

My DH also couldn't fin any cucumbers.
He said that the leaves were too big.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9119965

Zucchini are making fruits
Okra is growing well

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9119967

Eggplants are growing great leaves but no fruit yet
Peppers are also growing and they have lots of small peppers
So my DH did a good job taking care of the veggie garden I while I was away. Nothing died !
I shall award him a GOLD medal

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9125404

Eggplants are making fruits already.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9125405

Cucumber keep producing.
Some of them have aphids ... but the lady bugs are here to take care of them

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9125409

Tomato plants look so healthy. Definitely all the hard work and the early planting is paying off now.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9125415

and lots more ...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9125416

Grapes are also growing well

Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9131861

Lots of production from my veggie garden this year.
Definitely it was worth to start the tomatoes so early, look at some of my harvests

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9131863

Pepper plants are loaded with green peppers

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9131867

Eggplants are starting to produce.
They are very healthy and not signs of Flee Beetles ... I know they will arrive real soon thought !

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9131870

Some of the Fennel came back ... you can see how the bulb is not forming, instead I am keeping them for the leaves (which they also host some butterfly)

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9131872

In this pictures you can see: peppers (whit some fennel), eggplants, okras, cucumbers and at the end tomatoes
(on the left my DH pet area)

Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9131874

Okra is also growing well.
It seems like a few buds are forming.

Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012

Post #9131877

Cucumbers are producing a lot too. Some of the plants have been attached badly by aphids.
I blasted them with water and the lady bugs are doing the rest.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9131883

Pole beans are growing.
But ... do you think I should have planted them closer together?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9131887

When do I harvest those beans?
Shall I feel the beans on the inside?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9131894

I have found one Tomato Hornworm on my favorite tomato Gold Nugget and a few Leaffotted bugs too.
But ... I think that the Leaffotted bugs like my Cardoon so much better than my tomatoes ... weeee

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9131898

The artichokes I planted on the back of the house are growing well also.

Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9131907

In between the artichokes I planted some watermelons and cantaloupes ... look at this babies growing ... weeee

So far so good - growing season Zone 8 in 2012 !!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9134333

Aphids attached some of my cucumbers very bad.
I washed them out a little bit with water until I saw the baby lady bugs in action ... and left alone the plants.
Well ... my army of baby lady bugs is in action

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9134336

Happy feeling gone ...
It is just a circle of life ... poor baby lady bug ...

Thumbnail by drthor

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9135156

lol, Well at least they are both 'good bugs'..one is just better at his job.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9135185

I found 5 Tomato Hornworms yesterday ... ouch ... I normally have only 2 for season.
I showed them to my DH and he said to try to give them to the Box Tortoises !!
OMG !
Tortoises can run really fast ! My Bazinga run to the worm and she ate them so fast !!

Now, my DH is looking for Tomato Hornoworms for his pets !!

Lucky me !!

Thumbnail by drthor

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9135187

Be careful with your cantaloupes that they don't get sunscald. You might want to put some leaves over them to prevent direct burning sun.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9135215

Thanks I never grown cantaloupes. I will cover them with some leaves.
What about watermelons? First year also.
Here are some directed seeds of Moon and Stars ... they are growing so slow ... is it normal?

Thumbnail by drthor

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9135467

I grew Moon & Stars the first year we gardened. It took FOREVER for me to get any melons! I did have them in a partially shady spot, so that may have contributed to the slow growing. I have found that most watermelon doesn't set fruit until it's quite warm.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9140371

My first Okra pod: Okra Bowling Red started on March 14th.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9144890

Today I went outside to harvest the cucumbers and the plants where full of lady bugs: my army !!
Almost one lady bug for each leaf !

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9144892

so cute ...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9144895

My vegetable garden is doing really well this year ... apart for zucchini.
The squash vine borer found all my plants ... so I have decided to try again. I just seeded TATUME SQUASH indoor ... this variety has been highly recommend for TX
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/newsletters/hortupdate/2010/jun/tatume.html

I have started indoor more long beans and cucumbers also.
The seeds germinated in 2 days !!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9144898

Peppers are producing lot of fruits. Also eggplants and cucumbers.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9144900

Sorry posted double picture.
Okra is also growing well. I have harvested my first pod today.
Cow peas about 20" tall. They self seeded from last year.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9144901

and woila' ...all this bounty today, without using and pesticide or spray of any kind

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9145174

I have a couple of ladybugs on my cantaloupe plants. So happy to have them in my garden!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9150546

I have started more long beans, cucumbers and squash (Tatume) indoor.
Look at those pictures: barely one week old !

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9150551

Lots of bounty today and finally enough okra to make some gumbo !!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9150555

Okra plants are growing well.
Some have some aphids ... but my lady bugs army is already taking care of them

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9150560

Cucumbers are growing really well.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9150563

Plum and peaches soon to be ready

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9150566

Tomato plants are amazing this year !

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America