Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: Where is everyone!!!

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 23, Views: 104
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 22, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9015700

I come on here a few times a day and there has been no activity,are you all busy or sick or just nothing to post?Well let me see what can I talk about,I have four broody silkies and got 13 orp eggs from N.J last sat. and put them under them,they were happy as they only had air and golf balls, and sometimes water and food dishes that they tucked under them lol.And Handsome is in with the girls and is very happy and tired.His comb is nice and red now after being black form the fight with the other splash rooster.That rooster found a new home and I made $10.00.I have some silkies for sale ,hope there is a interest as I have to many now,but that was my plan to sell them.Its cloudy and going to snow today but its warm for us in the high 20`s.Will be so glad for spring.The little blind silkie chick that I have will have to be put down,I did try to intergrate him her and the other two into the flock and still doing so slowly,but today they were out of there cage only 5 minutes and Bandit(name of blind one)wondered outdoor and was sitting in the snow not moving just totaly lost,poor little thing.I have a friend that said she would do it for me as I just can`t do things like that,but I know comon sense has to take over and not my heart.She or he would never make it on her own and I don`t have the time or room for it.When you have animals you have to deal with unpleasant things such as this.Oh well thats my speal for the day,whats going on in your life?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 22, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9015712

Just busy, back later...
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

February 22, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9015741

I know what you mean... I have to say since Haystack left we, seem to be kind of quiet here... I have to travel down the state a little, my sister is having surgery tomorrow on her back. I will bring my computer and post some stuff then... Tell you my story!

Come everyone, lets get some chit chat going!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 22, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9015763

I have to agree that since Hay left things did change a lot,he kept us going with a laugh or an encouraging word or just good info on something.I wonder how he and has wife are doing?
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9015926

Oh dear. I sure wish I were closer, I'd take Bandit. My blind rooster actually recovered to a certain extent, but even when blind he managed to get around. How much does it cost to ship a silkie? Or is he still too young to go by himself...
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9015942

I have been checking in once in a while too. I didn't want to bum everyone out with my issues, but here goes.

Found out I had breast cancer back in Dec. Had surgery a few weeks ago to remove...it was very tiny so we dodged the bullet on that on that, but it still required me to have radiation done. I have finished up with that now...I got a device that allows you to only have to do the treatment for a week, but it was twice a day. During all this I had my incubator going and most of you saw my babies. They are doing good... I'm pretty sure they are all going to have Wyadotte in them with their markings. Way to obvious with the off white and black spotting on the wings. I'll get a picture up once I get the box cleaned up a bit ... They poo a lot!

I also had to put down my old dog...poor thing had hip dysplasia and couldn't walk anymore. I didn't want him to suffer in pain either. So he went to the big animal park to play with all the other pets that have passed on in our lives.

Oh and I also have a broody hen that is being a little snotty, but I think I may put her in with the babies to see if she takes them under her wing. If that is not a good idea then please someone stop me if that seems to be pushing it. The chicks are about a week and a half old...bad idea?
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 22, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9016045

You could try it at night,and get up early next morning and check on them,Ihave done it and it worked good for me.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 22, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9016050

Thank you Cat but I thing he she is to young to be shipped by its self and its cold here.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9016080

just not much going on here. Hatched out 1 Araucana and 5 Ameraucauna. Pulled the last 2 eggs. got tired of hatching 1 every 2 days. Guess Henny Penny was going in the box to lay when Mum Mum would take her daily break. not good on Patches fertility. Pulled all Fuglies eggs a week over due. I have not seen Patches breed his hens. He got knocked down being lead roo before I could get him in his own pen. Guess he hasn't gotten back to it yet. Now wondering if the 1 Araucana is of his line even though I didn't collect any eggs(30) from the hens until they had been with him a month. Have a D'Uccle sitting on a few of them as well with them being due the 27th. Sure hope at least 1 hatches so she will come off the nest. She has been broody 2 months now and getting thin. Couldn't break her.

TitRx so sorry to hear of your cancer. Don't know if I am still cancer free or not. Oct surgery got canceled with Dr moving and haven't found another Dr I want to see yet. The referral I got yesterday was for a Dr in the same office of the one I quit and hate!!! So I declined even though I am 4 months past due being checked again. Last surgery for it was in July with Oct being for the next check and supposed to get checked every 3 months
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 23, 2012
3:34 AM

Post #9016753

[quote="titaniumRX8"]I have been checking in once in a while too. I didn't want to bum everyone out with my issues, but here goes.

Found out I had breast cancer back in Dec. Had surgery a few weeks ago to remove...it was very tiny so we dodged the bullet on that on that, but it still required me to have radiation done. I have finished up with that now...I got a device that allows you to only have to do the treatment for a week, but it was twice a day. During all this I had my incubator going and most of you saw my babies. They are doing good... I'm pretty sure they are all going to have Wyadotte in them with their markings. Way to obvious with the off white and black spotting on the wings. I'll get a picture up once I get the box cleaned up a bit ... They poo a lot!

I also had to put down my old dog...poor thing had hip dysplasia and couldn't walk anymore. I didn't want him to suffer in pain either. So he went to the big animal park to play with all the other pets that have passed on in our lives.

Oh and I also have a broody hen that is being a little snotty, but I think I may put her in with the babies to see if she takes them under her wing. If that is not a good idea then please someone stop me if that seems to be pushing it. The chicks are about a week and a half old...bad idea?[/quote]

Sorry to hear about the cancer,I had prayer meeting last night and prayed for you as well as all the others on our prayer list with cancer,the list gets longer every week with peaple we know or have heard of,but there are praises as well as some are in remission or cured.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2012 6:40 AM
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9016807

Thanks Green I need to have as many prayers as possible to make sure I beat this!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9017015

Yes, sorry to hear about the cancer, titaniumRX8. And DonnaB, get busy and find a new doctor! I love reading your posts. I want all of you on the mend right now! =D

I usually lurk over here as I'm still pretty much a newbie. But my oldest male peacock is in really good form right now. I'll get that camera out and get some photos going if I can catch him at the right moment. His two sons, Niles and Frazier, wish they had nice tails like their dad. But not just yet!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 23, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9017057

Donna you do need to find another doctor soon,you will also be in my prayers,hatching and spending time with the chickens sooths the soul doesn`t it?Hatching this winter has been so good for me,our winters are so long and cold it has made the time pass more quickly,and to watch those dear little things hatch and turn into fluff balls just makes me smile. Catmad good news I posted on my face book farm page and asked if anyone would be willing to take a blind chicken and someone is going to take it,YEAH!!! Peaple are so good.She must work with special needs peaple and she also has a special needs parrot.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9017125

*big smile*. Yes, that makes me very happy. Thank you for finding him/her a home.
My thoughts are with all of our members who are going thru health and other issues. Please know I'm thinking of you...
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9017321

I'm sorry for your cancer issues Titanium. My mom is 98 and has breast cancer for the 3rd time, even after she has no breasts! So even though it's a horrible thing to go through, there is hope.

About the broody? I'd sneak the babiez under her, don't put her in with the babiez.. I think you'd have better luck that way anyway.

I do check in often.. Just nothing much goin on here. :(
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 23, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9017487

This lady that took the blind silkie lived almost 2 hours away,so I met her about half way,she has two children so the chickens(yes I gave her an extra one to keep the blind one company,it the one that hatched with her and they have been togather)will be loved and babied,she said she has a banty that is 8 years old and knows it won`t be long and she will find her gone,so she must take good care of her chickens for it to be that old.So glad I found it a home and always a plus when its a good one.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 23, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9017727

I love happy endings!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9018236

I'm so glad you found a home for the silkie + friend. I thought when I first read about your silkie that it would make someone a really good pet.

Great news and good job to you for finding a good home for the little dear!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 25, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9019608

All kinds of snow here last night.We got 14 inches of wet heavy snow,hubby plowed I snow blowed and granddaughter and I shoveled out runs and put down straw,now the sun is out and it so pretty with all the clean white snow.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 25, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9019799

Oooooh, aaaaaahhhh!
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9020512

Yes, I hope Mr. and Mrs. Haystack are doing well. How long has he been gone now? They were going to France/Europe and then to Alaska as I recall. Did he say he was getting rid of all his chickens? I can't remember. I know he was awfully restless and wanting to leave the state he was in. He is a sweet man.

As for me, I'm trying to get my truck running so I can fix my house up a bit, and clean up the horse lot. Am so wanting to grow some vegetables in my backyard this year. Now I have the three hens that can fly, so not sure how that will go. My sillkies couldn't get over the little three foot makeshift fence I built. What are the two wyandottes and little auracana going to do? Will they fly over and have a snack? That would be pretty upsetting.

Thanks for posting Green.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

February 26, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9020586

yep said he was getting rid of all his chickens. been gone since July/August?? last year.
My Araucana were flying up on to the roof of the house and going across the top of their cage out into the woods so they don't get to free range. You can trim the feathers so they can't fly to much. I have to many to do it so they get veggies as a snack everyday and when when hubby mows he puts the clippings in their cages and all the leaves over winter
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9020645

Thanks DonnaB hadn't thought of clipping her wings. That is a good solution.

That little araucana is such a character.

Also, I want to fix my backyard up a bit with some evergreen trees and shrubs of some kind, so it will look a little nicer. The nursery suggested Boxwood shrubs. They said take some pictures and measurements of my yard and they would help me.

catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9020958

I'll be interested to see how this works out for you. I always loved the formal gardens with boxwood hedges, knot gardens and topiaries, but I don't think I have either the skill nor the patience (or the budget) for them *G*. Of course, I looked into them many years ago, and maybe there are new varieties now that grow faster and are more amenable to training.
Had I planted them back then, they'd be well grown by now!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America