Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beekeeping: Build (plant) it and they will come

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 5, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9015930

Today the temp got above 50 so I moved my Myers Lemon outside, it has over 40 buds and blooms on it.
It was only outside 20 min and a honey bee was all over it. I was happy...she was happy. Before long her sister showed up to help.
So late this summer I will have to get a crew over to pick the fruit. ^^_^^

Thumbnail by rentman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2012
11:14 PM

Post #9016706

Lemon blossoms smell soooooooo good! You have some lucky bees! Hope you have a bumper crop of Myers lemons.
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9033813

I wish it would stay warm enough here to move some of my citrus outside. I've got navel orange, key lime and ponderosa lemon all blooming in my basement, but the temps are going to go back down by Fri so it's not worth moving them.
I did see this today though:
The girls were quite busy and pushing their way into flowers that were not even open all the way yet!

Thumbnail by tamberlin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9033838

Oh Yes Ladypearl, I have about half the flowers turning to little green nobs, lemons to be. Many of the flowers have fallen off.
When my wife walks through the room she smells the flowers...I have no smell.
Hang in there, tamberlin...you know Spring is just around the corner...
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2012
12:35 AM

Post #9034193

That's a beautiful picture Tamberlin.

Glad to hear you'll be getting delicious lemons this year Rentman. Where did you order your lemon trees from?
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2012
1:00 AM

Post #9034199

Two years ago I received an advertizement from Gurney's seed offering three trees, lemon, orange, key lime, for $9.95, being from Florida my wife ordered them. We received 3 brown sticks with a few roots on one end. I put them in pots. The lived the summer out side and grew well. I bring them in the house in the winter. The lemon is about 4' the other two 3'.
I canot find them anywhere for that price. I'm too cheap to buy one for $70 and up.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America