Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: Oh happy day! Vegetable transplants 30% off at Calloways.

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 18, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9016145

I stopped in at Callaway’s Nursery this afternoon after receiving an email from them yesterday. Vegetable transplants are $2.29 today. Tomorrow they will cost $1.60 (30% off regular price). Even though I got the days mixed up, they still sold them to me at tomorrow’s discounted price. They had a pretty good selection of tomatoes, peppers and other veggies. I bought one Box Car Willie and one Early Girl tomato transplant since I didn't plants seeds of either one this year. I also bought a flat of everbearing strawberries to replenish my strawberry towers. My OCD has been allayed, at least for now.

Oh drat, do transplants purchased at a nursery need to be hardened off? I was ready to go out and plant.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9016213

Thanks

I need some STRAWBERRIES too.
Last summer heat did kill 80% of mine !

Callaway's Nursery normally give me 10% off because I am a member of the Dallas Arboretum.

Tomorrow, Thursday PERFECT day to plant FRUIT crops ... weeeeee
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9016276

Yes, and also 10% off to Master Gardeners, but only 1 10% off at a time. Today the 30% off was much better.

Also NHG gives 10% off to Master Gardeners and members of the Dallas Arboretum. Every little bit helps.

Sorry, drthor, to go off topic again like I sometimes do, but since the Dallas Arboretum was brought up by you, I was there yesterday and heard about some of the plans being made for hosting the Chihuly glass sculptures exhibit starting May 5th and going through November 5th, 2012. It is going to be amazing and I can't wait to see it. You can check out pictures of his works here:

http://www.chihuly.com/special-projects-chihuly-bridge-of-glass.aspx

and better:

https://www.google.com/search?q=chihuly+glass&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=4npFT5jpGIPIsQLq393CDw&sqi=2&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=697

This message was edited Feb 23, 2012 6:58 AM

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9016450

WOW
I loove the Dallas Arboretum.
When I moved to Dallas six years ago I just hated life !!
I moved from Orlando (FL). My DH worked for the richest Mouse in the world ... I was able to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks from my bedroom every night ...
I move to DFW in January ... no grass ... no leaves on the trees ...

I got my smile back after visiting the "Dallas in Bloom festival" at the Dallas Arboretum ... I realized that I could grow all of those beautiful flowers too ...

So I start to enjoy life again ... now I dunno want to move ever again ...

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9016579

Will the 30% off be only tomorrow thursday?
or longer?
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 22, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9016614

I went back and read the email again, and it is tomorrow, Thursday only while supplies last.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9016897

thanks
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9018165

hrp50 are you a Master Gardener?
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9018170

texasrockgarden
I am an intern. I went through the class last year but won't become certified until I graduate this December.
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9018179

Best of luck to you, hrp50! I was thinking of doing this but just never set aside the time.

Sorry to get off topic, folks.
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9018213

Hey, I started this thread so I can relax the rules a little. I wouldn't get by with going off-topic if drthor had started the thread. (Oops, I hope she doesn't read this).

I would highly recommend the Master Gardener's program to anyone who has the time to attend 10 weeks of classes 1 day a week and then the time to do the volunteer hours that are required. The program doesn’t make you an expert but it does expose you to a lot of information you wouldn't otherwise have.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9018214

I've been thinking about it for a looooooooooooong time...
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9018233

I was the only person in my class of 63 that was disappointed when the classes were over. Everyone thought that I was weird, probably because it was somewhat like college with homework, quizes, and reading assignments every week, and at the end , a 400 question final exam, but it was a take-home open book test and we had 3 weeks to complete it.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9018404

WOW !!
Congrats hrp50 ... and yes I am here ...

Finally if I call the Master Gardening phone line ... somebody will be able to help !!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9018409

The only reason I haven't enrolled is that I haven't heard very favorable things about the Harris County MG program. I've called and the Master Gardener's there didn't know answers to questions I already had surmised an answer to. I was just calling for confirmation, and they were totally befuddled.

I'd like a more serious program, especially if I have to pay for it.

BTW, what was your approximate enrollment time, and $$?
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9018527

I know that each county holds its classes at different times of the year. In Dallas County last year the classes were every Monday starting July 25th through October 24th (10 weeks), with Labor Day off. You had to register by sometime in May I believe, and the cost was $275. They don't accept everyone who applies and they personally interview each applicant so they can ascertain that they can fulfill the time commitment to the program because there is a significant commitment. 105 people applied last year and 65 were accepted, and 2 or 3 people dropped out before the end. I'm not sure what you mean by "serious program", but I know that the Dallas County program couldn’t have been any more serious, but at the same time a lot of fun.
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9018650

Gymgirl

Everyone working at the MG Help Desk has a different knowledge base and skill and experience level. This time of year you'll get a lot of interns like me fulfilling their volunteer hours requirement. If I get a question from a caller and I don't know the answer or can't find it quickly, I will get the caller's name and a callback phone number and will research it until I find the correct answer and call them back (this SOP, all MGer’s are instructed to do this). So please be patient with us and don’t expect us to know everything off of the top of our heads.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9019543

Hey, Hrp50,
Never intended to point a finger at ALL the MGers. Please accept my apology. I will look further into the Harris County program.

BTW, my encounter was with a rather laid back MGer. Maybe I caught him on a bad day...

In any case, I'm sorry.

Linda
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9019595

Gymgirl
I didn't take offense at all to your statement about MGer's. I found out in going through the classroom portion of the program just how much I didn't know. I've been told that I will acquire even more knowledge than from classroom instruction in the volunteer stage I'm in now, working alongside more experienced MGer's.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America