Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: Serama hatchlings with feathered legs???

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 5, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dawns_Tropicals
Winter Springs, FL

February 22, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9016305

I thought my rooster and hen were pure seramas but now I am unsure. I wanted to sell them as seramas but with the feathered legs I most likely can't right? Why would they have feathered legs? Are they truley mixed with something else or can a serama have feathered legs? I know it is not acceptable for show. They are in a cage by themselves so I know they are the parents. Any suggestions would be a big help. Dawn
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 23, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9017301

Unfortunately our serious Serama experts have been absent recently. I've never had Seramas but I think they are usually clean legged. I doubt that yours would be difficult to sell, however, if they have all the other characteristics of a Serama - especially the tiny size and proud attitude.

Surely someone here more knowledgeable than I will have some advice for you.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9017307

Yup.. you can sell them, and sell as Serama... but they will be dq'd if shown.. I'm sorry that happened to you. I had a champion Serama roo that had 2 tiny lil feathers on his legs. He never passed it to his get, so it wasn't a problem. There are many Serama sellers that have feathered legs mixed in with their flock, especially on ebay. (a couple years ago anyway)
Dawns_Tropicals
Winter Springs, FL

February 23, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9017707

I researched today and all I found was that they were acceptable as booted seramas just like the frizzle seramas. You know a new trait.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2012 11:05 AM
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 26, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9020495

Well that's cool.. I didn't know that.. news to me!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9038379

Ahhh, just catching up here! Booted Seramas are a new one to me! I know for a fact that American Seramas are actually Malaysian Seramas (true Seramas) and different bantam breeds mixed in. Usually they are mixed with Japanese bantams and or Silkies. some times you will get a throw back to the silkie gene in your babies although it has been generations. I had two from the same hatch that came out with silkied feathering and they were the first to sell . Unless you have a true Malasian , you never know what you will wind up with. thats why the different classes of Serama at shows.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America