Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Terrarium Gardening: Terrarium Questions :)

Communities > Forums > Terrarium Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Terrarium GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DMurray407
Buffalo, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 25, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9019745

I've been reading through this forum and looking at all the great photos that have been posted. There is some great information here! I have a 29 gal aquarium that has been empty since we went on vacation last summer and my grandkids took care of my fish ( I don't mean that the way it sounds...but I came home to "fish soup"-though it wasn't really their fault, I think the heater malfunctioned). I'm thinking that a terrarium might be a better way to go this time around. I have a few questions before I decide what type of terrarium I should put together.

The aquarium light is one designed to provide enough light for aquarium plants (I don't remember the wattage). The aquarium is is about 18" high. There isn't much natural light (it's located across the room from the window). Would this be enough light for miniature african violets, ferns and sinningias? What about small orchids?

I saw a photo of a terrarium with mini tillandsias and small orchids (epiphytic plants) that looked really neat-do these plants really do OK in a terrarium? Do they need any special care?

My younger grandkids would really get a thrill out of seeing a frog or lizard in the terrarium, how much care is involved with a vivarium? I'm sure a critter could really do some damage to the plants...

That's all I can think of right now-any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Deb
Sallysblooms
South, TX

February 28, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9023567

I am not sure about Tillandsia and lights. I give them light from the windows. I just bought a BUNCH more. I love them. Maybe others will know for sure about the light. I think the Tillandsia's like air flow and filtered light.

One thing you can try is in the 2nd picture. Cleopatra Episcia! I have five under bright lights, in terrariums. They LOVE IT! Some Episcia don't like bright lights but these love it and love humidity.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms   Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
Click an image for an enlarged view.

DMurray407
Buffalo, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 29, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9025009

The Episcia is gorgeous :) What is the little green plant in the center?
Thanks!
Sallysblooms
South, TX

February 29, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9025313

Just came up from the moss. Like a little fern.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Terrarium Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to start? LittleHippyGirl 3 Apr 9, 2007 7:08 AM
Terrarium Links begoniacrazii 42 Jun 21, 2007 2:52 PM
My new terrarium Plantcrazii 13 May 7, 2007 1:55 PM
Here is my terrarium Plantcrazii 37 May 6, 2007 6:00 PM
My new dart frogs/vivarium! clarkranch 14 Oct 31, 2007 8:11 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America