Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: whos growing lettuce?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9019938

i started lettuce about 2 1/2 weeks ago.. i use bales of straw..in a square u shape.. cover with
plexiglass and in front.. front faces south..
they are doing great.. if temps stay "warmish" i should get to pick some in couple weeks !!!
yea !!!
i'll start another crop end of march ..
by may..i can plant out without protection..
i love having a HUGE salad.. would cost couple $$$ for just one of my biggie
salads.. plus..i know what ive put on my lettuce..
ive been watering with 1/2 solution of alfalfa meal tea.. lettuce seems to
appreciate it..
anyone else (especially in colder areas) start lettuce yet???

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9020079

Have started some leaf lettuce, spinach and chard indoors a couple weeks ago. Today was first time out during the day to harden off. Now that the snow has finally melted off my garden area (saw my first garlic sprouts today), I will prep a spot to plant them out, and a plastic cover to help protect them.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9022253

Yes, I have. But I'm not in a colder zone. Especially this winter I'm not!

I have to be careful about which fertilizers I use. If it is something my dogs think would be good to roll/dig in, then I'm sunk. I have discovered that they won't touch row covers. So I just covers the fertilized seed beds and that does seem to help. Since I have chickens, I use composted chicken litter and then make sure I cover all with the row covers. I've been getting pretty good results that way.

Last year, when we had a much colder winter, another Dave's Gardener and I tried out the perforated plastic hoop covers shown here: http://www.territorialseed.com/product/1666
They really did work. When I did live up north I used straw bales and thought they were great.

We do eat a lot of lettuce and it is soooo much cheaper to grow it. And you can try out so many more varieties than found in the store.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9022751

i agree terri.. i dont know how many varieties of lettuce/spinach/mache i have..
it makes a great salad.. and like ya said.. way cheaper than what ya buy in the store..
i hear ya on animals.. my 2 cats are only house cats..but i let them roam around in the back when
im out gardening sometimes..when i can keep an eye on them..
and wouldnt ya know it.. they head right for the compost pile.. sigh..
my cats are long hair persians.. so they get a bath .. ??? maybe they do it on
purpose.. LOL
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9023331

My grandma used to raise persians. They always had a goofy personality and were fun to play with!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 29, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9025164

lettuce is really popping..funny because the weather has gotten chilly.. sigh..again..
ive been using alfalfa meal made as a tea.. on it.. its responding well..YEA !!!
ya..my 2 persians they sure are interesting.. all cats are i guess.. as mine get older..
theve become less snobby..LOL.. one would seldom let me hold him..now hes at my
feet all the time..??? LOL go figure..

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America