-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9020837

I picked up some taupe colored 4x4 glazed ceramic tiles, and I would like to use them on a 4 foot counter next to my stove. I will be using formica for the other counters and I would like tile on this one so that I could pull pans right out of the oven and have a place to set them without worrying about the finish. I had a tiled counter once before and loved it, but it was made with the matte finish, sort of a textured stone pattern. These are a real glossy, shine and smooth surface. I am worried how the glossy finish will hold up, sliding skillets and pots on it over time. Does anyone else have tiled counters? would love anyone's insight or experience with the gloss surface.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 31, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9260354

Frilly, Mother had glazed counter tops and you don't want to set hot stuff on them . Heat can crack the tile and will for certain scratch it up . . The best thing I have found is to buy a piece of granite to keep on your counter . I have a large piece of quarry marble on my island to set stuff from the oven . Check with a granite setter for cutouts he has from bath room and kitchen sinks . Can usually buy them cheap . They learned that there is a market for them so sell them now .
You can set them in a wood frame and not worry about them getting scratched up or cracked . Lots lighter than other stone and portable too .Like a cutting board .
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9260899

Thank you! I never thought about the heat causing them to crack. I had tiles on a counter in my last house but they were thicker and more like a floor tile, not the glazed thin shiny ones. They took a lot of abuse and I really liked them ALOT. I might just use the same tile on the counter next to the stove that I choose for the floor, that way it will durable and still match ok.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 31, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9261043

If I remember , Mom had to replace a couple twice . She had those little 8 sided ones , and white grout . We used a lot of bleach .

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Kitchens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
If you were replacing a countertop, what would you choose? LooneyLinda 196 Nov 15, 2013 3:43 AM
As requested on another thread, here's my kitchen re-do Connie_G 53 Jun 3, 2007 5:32 AM
anyone use Sears to reface cabinets? ssdogwood 15 Aug 3, 2007 10:21 PM
Our kitchen is done ! CountryGardens 24 Oct 13, 2007 3:12 PM
Stainless Steel Appliances - Any suggestions?? azrobin 18 Jun 3, 2010 3:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America