drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9021159

a friend of mine just sent me this link:
http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2012/02/forewarned-is-forearmed-veggie-varieties-owned-by-monsanto/

"IF YOU ARE THE KIND OF GARDENER who buys vegetable seeds or seedlings (including tomato plants) from a local garden center, as I sometimes do, beware the varieties you select. Otherwise, you could very well be putting money into the hands of the wretched Monsanto Corporation. Forewarned is forearmed, right? Here is the list of Seminis/Monsanto home-garden vegetable varieties, and yes, it even includes zucchini:

Im going to print out this list, and keep a copy in my wallet. This way I wont be caught off-guard the next time I decide to impulse-shop at a big-box garden center: ..."

Go here to see the complete list:
http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2012/02/forewarned-is-forearmed-veggie-varieties-owned-by-monsanto/

As myself ... I have bought some of these varieties ...ouch ... I didn't know ...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 26, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9021187

I'll bet he missed a couple hundred.
He only listed 4 sweet corn. They are big in sweet corn.
I won't be changing varieties after years of research to come up with what works good here.

Some countries started big wars with us & we are now buying all their products. Is this different?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9021252

I also see names on there that may have been started by them but are sold now as O/P by private companies.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9021379

read more if you don't know who Monsanto is
http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2012/02/keep-monsanto-out-of-your-veggie-patch/
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9021610

One has to be careful when repeating some of the more virulent GMO propaganda. The above list includes cultivars developed by Peto, Agriseed, and others that were combined into Seminis. None of them are GMO. Many are actually OP's. Monsanto invented roundup, which has now passed into the generic domain. Most of the criticism came from developing Round-up ready field crops. No Veggies in that category. In fact until the present, the only actual GMO veggies were from Syngenta (Bt sweet corn). Semenis is releasing a couple of those for this year.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9021632

People who see this list are confused and assume that the varieties included are GMO. They're not; they are listed because some people would rather not buy from Monsanto and give them their money. There are a lot of seed-selling companies that will not purchase material from Monsanto; Fedco is one of them. Some of these companies have established their own sources of those varieties, which they have cultivated in-house. So if you're buying from one of them you can be fairly sure that your money goes to that company and not to Monsanto.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9021758

True. Monsanto is a US based international company which has a crop component. Most of the others are European (Syngenta, Harris Moran, Bejo. ...) or Asian ( Sakata, Known-You, Takii...) Syngenta has been the only GMO vegetable seed producers until this year. Of course home gardeners can not buy Sygenta's Bt sweet corn . Surprisingly there are few complaints about Syngenta. http://www.syngenta.com/global/corporate/en/about-syngenta/Pages/company-history.aspx.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9022051

We know who Monsanto is thats not the issue. Black Beauty Eggplant is O/P sold through Baker Creek also. So, like gg said, the list is confusing because Monsanto isnt the only Co that has many of those cultivators. Id hate too see people not grow some of these veggies simlpy because they are on "the list" when they are really cultivated in house.

Farmerdill-there have been some heated dicussions regarding GMO seeds but they were always attributed to Monsanto?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 27, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9022088

This message was edited Feb 27, 2012 10:07 PM
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9022226

Thanks for pointing that out, Farmerdill. Most folks aren't aware of those companies you've listed (Syngenta, Harris-Moran, Sakata), probably because they aren't listed in the lime-light as much as Monsanto is.

I'm not pro-Monsanto any more than I'm pro-Syngenta, et al, but I am pro-labeling laws regarding GMO products. After all, why not? Heck, there are laws to go by when labeling "organic" foods and products, why not GMO labeling laws, eh? Do it and be done with it. Sheesh.

I think the blogger who listed (or wrote) the article first linked is somewhat of an alarmist though, especially since the general idea was that all those plants belonged to Monsanto and he/she didn't want to support Monsanto. In all fairness the blogger should've clarified the issues so many in this thread had pointed out (OP seeds; non-GMO stock; varietal information; your choice of life-style and beliefs, etc). This should go one step further to understand that just because something is found in someone's blog doesn't necessarily mean it is the true gospel, so to speak.

Shoe
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9022232

Surprise. Monsanto is not the major player in the GMO sweepstakes. It is worldwide and the biggest contributors are Tax supported Universities and governmental agencies. India in particular. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=do-seed-companies-control-gm-crop-research. http://igmoris.nic.in/overview.asp
China is actively entering the GMO field http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/agriculture/geneticmodification/8423536/Genetically-modified-cows-produce-human-milk.html. Even Europe where opposition appears strong has ongoing research. remember Syngenta is a Swiss based company. http://paepard.blogspot.com/2011/06/decade-of-eu-funded-gmo-research-2001.html. As far as consumers are concerned at the moment, The bogeyman is the use of the Monsanto gene which makes possible the development of Round-Up ready field crops. and the introduction of a gene (Syngenta ?) which produces Bt in plants. Primary use thus far has been in corn, mostly field corn, but in recent years has spread to sweet corn' Lots of research going on tho, including an effort by Syngenta to produce a specialized corn for ethanol production. There is also human based research, attempting to identify and modify genes associated with specific diseases that are associated with inheritance.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9022417

Lets face it, anybody can blog. It doesnt mean the information is accurate. You dont have an editor you dont have anybody checking your sources. You can write whatever you want. I do think the information is important but I think its more importat to make sure the information comes from a reliable,reputable source.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9023427

I noticed Tye Dye on the list of tomatoes. Wasn't that one hybridized by Brad Gates at Boar Farms? Maybe I'm confused.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9023529

I guess I'm just ignorant, and brainwashed by the"evil" ag corporations...but I'm glad there are companies like Monsanto that spend money on research and developing (using both conventional genetics and GMO) food crops. If it weren't for the scientific developments for improved crops and improved farming techniques we could not support the current population of the planet. I've seen subsistence farming, and it isn't that pretty! The only way we can possibly support the populations we have in the cities of the world is with industrial farming. I'm not that willing to starve, so I guess that I will have to tolerate the big agriculture companies.

I'm not so condemning of genetic modifications, either. Most people with diabetes that are insulin-dependent now rely on genetically-engineered, bacteria produced insulin. We have things like the "Superbug" used to degrade oil spills--genetically engineered. Also, that lovely BT powder or spray, for organic pest control (you guessed it) much of it is produced with genetically engineered e. coli. There are lots of genetically engineered products in everyday life.

There are quite a few large ag companies, and there are quite a few genetic engineering companies (not to mention most major universities). So why pick just one to complain about as if it is the source of all the world's problems?

David
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9023553

I thought the "problem" with Monsanto was that they sell seed that is proprietary and if the wind scatters seeds or pollen over onto some unsuspecting farmer's field and Monsanto finds that situation, they will sue the farmer for growing proprietary seed without paying Monsanto for it. Ive also read that Monsanto will not allow seed saving and in some countries this has been the practice for generations. Ive read that Monsanto sues those who save seed and force them to buy fresh seed each year.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9023582

Don't believe every thing you read. GMO crops are government controlled. There are specific regulations for growing them, which is why they are not available to home gardeners. True, Seed saving is discouraged but that is true for all patented OP's ( Check Plant Variety Protection). They don't bother home gardeners unless you try to sell seeds. Same is true for all the music people rip off. Most of the GMO crops are hybrids anyway, so seed saving is not overly feasible. On the other hand there are plenty of older varieties out there. Patents only hold for a few years and the the variety if Open polinated becomes generic and anybody can propagate and sell seeds. Very similar to the name brand generic drug debate.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 28, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9023741

agree with David. Pretty hard to feed the world by sharing with weeds & bugs.
Organic is all the rage. Why are their rules so stupid. A gal at our market last year was certified organic. In visiting with her, I asked how she managed in the area she lives in. Acre after acre of conventional corn & soybeans. One of the best areas in the country for growing those crops. She said that all she needed was a 30 foot buffer strip around her vegetable garden. What a joke! Companies raising seed corn use a larger strip[ than that. I think it is a mile.
Now somebody said something about keeping bees from going from regular flowers to GMO flowers. What are they going to do, put little signs on the flowers in bee language saying keep out ?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 29, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9024424

[quote]Now somebody said something about keeping bees from going from regular flowers to GMO flowers. What are they going to do, put little signs on the flowers in bee language saying keep out ?[/quote]

Reminds me of a line from the movie "The Wind Cannot Read"

"Though on the sign it is written, don't pluck these blossoms, it is useless again the wind, which cannot read..."
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 29, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9025133

Urge the USDA to reject genetically engineered 2,4-D resistant corn until these impacts are addressed:
http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50202/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=7189&track=20120229_adv_SignOn_USDA

Here is an actual piece of legislation of which we can petition.

Evelyn

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America