Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Georgia Gardening: Did I Miss Spring?

Communities > Forums > Georgia Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Georgia GardeningReplies: 19, Views: 166
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kdfisher
Ellijay, GA
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9021490

Like every year as long as my mother is alive I stay in SW Florida for the winter. Yes she has some gardens I maintain but is at that point she doesn't want anything new because its too hard to keep up with at her age. If some of you know me, more is better is what I'm all about. See blog.

Anyway, with the weather reports showing so much warmth in North Ga it looks like I won't see any Daffodils when I return April 1. How about the tulips I have planted? Will my lawn need a bush hog to cut? I'm in the sticks up there with few friends to drive out and give me a report.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9022540

Tulips are just up. Some daffs are in bloom and some are not and crocus are gone. My azaleas are starting to open and plums are blooming. Though we've had a mild winter I think everything is pretty much on schedule. If early, just by a little.
kdfisher
Ellijay, GA
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9023636

Nice to hear. I think our two ares are very similar in weather, elevation etc.
RandyRick
Dahlonega, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9033016

The 10 day weather forecast has no temperatures below 40degrees for the lows. Thats my sign its time to start planting.
kdfisher
Ellijay, GA
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9039082

I thought you were off after looking at this four days ago. Wow, almost no winter eh?
sterhill
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9059806

I usually plant broccoli on March 1 but not this year. I did go out and buy broccoli plants and then after the weather guy said no more cold, I took them back. I mean this is MARCH! supposed to be colder... I've seen broccoli bolt and it it pretty but it is very frustrating. My pomegranate is really leafing out - this is from one of the RUs. If you've never seen a pomegranate cycle, check this out:

Thumbnail by sterhill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9062273

Sterling, those pom photos are fantastic! I have broccoli, cabbage, collards and kale ready to plant out but am not doing any turnips or mustards. Peas were planted several weeks ago. The moderate weather in N. GA will hopefully hold. though some things are way ahead. The flame azaleas in Atlanta are breaking bud. We are near the river and have a number of wild ones on the property. The viburnum are in full bloom but our evergreen azaleas are not quite ready. The flowering crabs are in full bloom and so are most of the camellias which usually bloom earlier. That's a surprise.
RandyRick
Dahlonega, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9062362

The orange deciduous azalea on my road is in full bloom, as is a smallish red azalea hybrid. A white azalea is full of buds and should burst next week. A witch hazel is about ready to burst out. The hellebore, quinces and camellia are about done. Some quail jonquils are still blooming, but most daffodils and tulips are long gone.

My crinum are growing full tilt. I'm hoping for some early blooms by the end of April. I may even prune some of the trees back to give my crinum beds more sun, I never thought I'd cut back a tree, but am thinking about it. Added a new crinum bed this winter running along the driveway to the side of my house and am busy adding new bulbs to it.

Should have some bearded iris soon, am already having some of the dutch iris blooming.

Roses are full of buds here at my house. Some roses I help maintain at the Gold Museum had a few flowers on them already. Bought a big box of 100 bare root red daylilies "Little Business", planted half here at the house and the other half in front of the Gold Museum. One of the Stella d'oro daylily at the Museum is about to bloom. Miss Huff is leaving out already. Snapdragons are in full bloom

This message was edited Mar 29, 2012 7:22 PM
sterhill
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9062908

PICTURES PLEASE! "Added a new crinum bed this winter running along the driveway to the side of my house and am busy adding new bulbs to it." that sounds so pretty - need pictures!!
RandyRick
Dahlonega, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9062931

sterhill wrote:PICTURES PLEASE! "Added a new crinum bed this winter running along the driveway to the side of my house and am busy adding new bulbs to it." that sounds so pretty - need pictures!!

I may take a 'before' picture of it, but its still a work in progress with piles of dirt and mulch. There probably won't be many flowers in it later this summer, as some crinum take a year to re-establish themselves, even tho I'm mostly planting large to jumbo size bulbs. I have to use a post hole digger for each bulb. Here's a picture of one of a pair of 4lb crinum herbertii bulbs I have in the queue for planting.

http://randyrick.us/FlowerGarden/crinum/HerbertiiOLG18inchcirc.jpg

There were 6 bulbs planted last year in the area that was extended to become this bed, only 1 of which flowered the first year.

I have 4 other plants previously in this area that I may relocate later, 2 quinces, a witch hazel,and a japanese something (maple)?.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2012 9:23 AM
sterhill
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9064193

whoa!!! that's hard to believe my eyes!
wholyhosta
Lula, GA

March 31, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9064224

Wow, Rick, that is humongeous! I would love to see your photos later this summer of this bed.

My crinums must have been up early and some of the tips are burned, altho we have not had a frost since early March. Do you know if I can trim the burnt tips off without harming the leaves? I am supposed to be getting a red-leaf crinum At the Florala RU in April, which I will proudly add to my collection.

Spring is too quickly passing!! Again!!!!! Grrrrr!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9064761

Posting on all current threads in response to a RU question. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1249126/ Please read my response.
RandyRick
Dahlonega, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9065228

The leaf tips of my crinum are dead and I trim them off.

The red leaf crinums aren't too common.

wholyhosta wrote:Wow, Rick, that is humongeous! I would love to see your photos later this summer of this bed.

My crinums must have been up early and some of the tips are burned, altho we have not had a frost since early March. Do you know if I can trim the burnt tips off without harming the leaves? I am supposed to be getting a red-leaf crinum At the Florala RU in April, which I will proudly add to my collection.

Spring is too quickly passing!! Again!!!!! Grrrrr!

sterhill
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9065232

I have never seen a red leaf crinum so I had to google it... looks a bit like the pineapple lily plant... love those red leaves
RandyRick
Dahlonega, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9065732

I have 2 types of red leafed crinum growing. Also a Queen Emma which may not live and has no leaves yet.

Sangria which is cold hardy in zone 7 and Procerum Red leaf which is a zone 8 plant.

I had 3 Sangria planted outside and 2 survived the winter, the third was in a bad spot so I don't fault the bulb.

I will keep the procerum inside during winter until I get an offset bulb to try outdoors over winter, meanwhile it lives in a 3 gallon nursery pot.

All are still immature bulbs and haven't flowered for me yet.

This message was edited Apr 1, 2012 10:23 PM

Thumbnail by RandyRick   Thumbnail by RandyRick
Click an image for an enlarged view.

wholyhosta
Lula, GA

April 2, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9066478

Thanks for the tip, no pun intended, Rick! ;-)

I don't know what size bulb on the red crinum I will be receiving at the end of the month, nor the variety but I am happy to have one.

Brenda B

RandyRick
Dahlonega, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9066880

Mature crinum bulbs vary a lot in size from cultivar to cultivar. Some may only be 2inches diameter fullsize, others may be 8-10inches diameter that weigh up to 20 lbs. Since they can live hundreds of years, they can become monsters.

Randy R.

wholyhosta wrote:Thanks for the tip, no pun intended, Rick! ;-)

I don't know what size bulb on the red crinum I will be receiving at the end of the month, nor the variety but I am happy to have one.

Brenda B

wholyhosta
Lula, GA

April 2, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9067105

OMG, I had no idea...hundreds of years! Wow. I have seen some really large bulbs for sale but all my crinums are given to me, and none ever had the size of some of the monsters.

Funny, I never cared much for crinums except for the last 3-4 years. I love my deep pink called Ellen Bousanquet!!! My son has been hybridizing hybrid crinums with the white ones (spider lilies/ peruvian lilies)- he has found some growing wild during his walks in the NE Georgia mountains.
sterhill
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9068137

interesting article in the AJC about how the Masters Tournament has no azalea spectacle as usual because of this hot weather:

AUGUSTA, Ga. Something is missing from the Masters this year, a tradition that ranks right up there with Amen Corner, endless roars on Sunday afternoon and the winner's green jacket.

Color.

Red, pink and white azaleas that typically are ablaze for the opening round, have lost their bloom or were wilting fast. The beautiful contrast of white against the lush course comes from sand in the bunkers, not dogwoods.

Spring arrived early in many parts of the country this year, and not even Augusta National was immune.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/the-bloom-is-off-1405060.html

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Georgia Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Favorite Local Nursery? violabird 23 Apr 17, 2007 9:17 PM
Corn Gluten Meal SusanCalvert 10 Aug 11, 2009 7:40 PM
wild roses teateacher 11 Jun 1, 2007 4:31 PM
Grass out, Moss in soupcon 15 May 14, 2008 4:28 PM
powdery mildew remedies soupcon 4 May 31, 2007 3:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America