Photo by Melody

Beekeeping: Abandoned hive - but it's still kicking!

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 4, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9021766

Hi beekeepers!
A local beekeeper has been keeping a hive in my backyard orchard for a couple of years and it's been doing well. However, it seems as if he's got a full time job that takes him far far away (last contact I had with him, he was in Japan!). He has not been able to come by as often as he used to to care for the bees. They swarmed off twice, but still appear to be thriving. I did get him to come over and put another super on, but I haven't seen him since mid-June.

Now winter is almost over and the bees are starting to come out of the hive more and more as the weather improves. I've read that this is a crucial time for them as they may be at the end of their honey stores.

Is there anything I can do the 1)help keep the bees alive until spring officially gets here and 2) do without a veil and bee suit and other tools?
We have a pond with unfrozen water and I've even seen the bees in the compost patch, so I know they are getting around.

I really enjoy having them here and if I can ever get in touch with my absent beekeeper again, I'm going to try to buy the hive off him since he's not here to take care of it anyway...
Thank you all for your suggestions.
Deb
Ray4852
Arcade, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9022925

Join a bee club. Start reading books. buy videos on beekeeping. plenty of good forums to get more information. The book I recommend now is beekeeping for dummies. I checked my hives yesterday. the girls are starting to get active.
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9023337

Hi Ray!
We are starting Bee School on Thursday! The girls are really moving around lately - temps are in the mid 40's. Snow on the horizon for later this week though. Hopefully we'll be able to put a second hive in our yard. I do really enjoy watching them do their thing.
Ray4852
Arcade, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9023428

You should be able to split your hive once the drones start flying. get yourself a new queen for your new hive. I have two hives now. I plan to expand to 5 hives with my stock. The weather has been in the 40s the last two days here. I love this hobby.
Janetsfolly
Lexington, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9064058

Bee school sounds great! I haven't read the "dummies" book, but I just finished "Backyard Beekeeping" by Kim Flottum, which was fascinating and geared to beginners. I recommend it, particularly if you are interested in comparing natural vs chemical treatments.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America