Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Will hanging basket pansies reseed?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9022893

Last fall found a new pansy variety, common name was "plenty fall" pansy, it has a creeping habit and is used in hanging baskets. They overwintered better than any pansy ever, kept them in pots on porch and deck. Instead of pulling them when weather heats up I was thinking of trying to collect seed, though I have a feeling they are sterile.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9103643

I've collected a few seeds from different hybrid types of pansies and violas but it took a lot of watching to catch the rare seed head and let it stay on just before it was ready to pop open on its own. I let the flowers die back quite a bit on the plant so I could see which ones looked like they may form seedheads. If they didn't show any signs of swelling I would pinch them off.

Hope you have some good luck--a few seeds are better than nothing especially if you like the plant. That's one of the things I don't like about shopping for plants--you may find a variety you like and there's no guarantee you'll see them being sold again.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 3, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9109593

Rather than pulling them up at the end of your season, why don't you just let them be? Pansies are hardy perennials even here, and in your very warm zone, they will almost surely survive the winter. Then you won't have to worry about starting them again from seed. Oops, it was not a question about wintering over but about summer heat... never mind. ;-)

This message was edited May 4, 2012 9:22 PM
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9110860

Alta, you're gonna love this: pansies will definitely survive the winter, mine make it every year. The reason I want to find a way to keep the seed: the summer heat kills the pansy plants down here. LOL, that's probably a new concept for you. I used to live and garden in Buffalo which is zone 5 and I still am amazed even after 15 years down here how green our winters can be, and how brown August is.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America