Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Computer Talk: Need recomendation for a printer.

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 8, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9023320

I had a Epson Stylus CX5800F and loved it but it had an accident. Got talked into buying a Canon MG5300. I don't like it. The Epson had a very good online manual, I have a heck of time with the Canon's manual. The printer often takes a long time to warm up before it will print. The ink status is shown on the LCD but I have macular degeneration and have to use a magnifier to read it. I do have it hooked up to a USB and I am supposed to be able to get the ink status on my computer but have not been able to do so. My daughter also tried with no luck.
Have any of you used one of Epson:s Work Horse printers? I would just like to hear some of your experinces with printers you have.
chuck7701
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9025808

Do you need color prints? Do you do a lot of printing? Some more specifics as to your needs would be helpful.

I print a lot, so I have both types, however I rarely use the color printer. I really favor black and white laser jets with toner cartridges. So much cheaper than ink cartridges! I'd be broke paying for ink cartridges otherwise.
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9026044

I didn't realize there was a difference, what do you mean by toner cartridges?
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9026088

Chuck, I am getting a new printer tomorraw, thinkg about an Epson work horse. Any comments, what are you using.
chuck7701
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9030520

Epson makes a good printer, I think most of them are the ink jet version. Most of the printers today are good, the problems are usually mechanically related to the mechanisms like paper pick up from the tray, auto doc feeders, etc.

Toner cartridges use a dry powder and a heated fuser to bond (melt) the toner to the paper. Doesn't run like ink does when it gets wet.
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2012
3:30 AM

Post #9031800

Thanks Chuck, I went out and bought the Epson work force 545. I made a mistake in setting it up, I had a service agreement. I wnt online looking for tech support, thought I had found the right place. They started to help but asked permission to take over my computer. I let them, after an hour the problem wasn't fixed, said they ran a scan and I had 800 infections which I knew I didn't. They said that caused the printer problem and wanted $200 to fix it. Turned out this site was "iyogi" not epson. Of course I turned them down and got off the phone and the computer. They had changed the color of my background and even hard to tell the difference betwee red and black. Called them back and told them to take care of it, they said I would have to pay to do it. Not sure what I am going to have to do to get it corrected. How do I know they still don't have access to my computer? It seems like all I do is to dig myself in deeper.
chuck7701
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9031911

The "infections" you/they mention, may not be that serious. You will have to go into Display properties to correct the screen issues. Perhaps you can just reset the default. As far as the other items (infections), usually these are just leftover tidbits that can be deleted. Using a free program called CCleaner will eliminate the majority of these problems. Search and download it, run it. As you go through the install, uncheck the boxes for Google toolbar, etc.

By default the settings will delete cookies from your browser(s). If you access bank sites that rely on cookies, you might not want to delete cookies until you are more familiar with the process of protecting certain cookies. On the Cleaner icon on left side, you will see a Windoes and Applications Tab. Uncheck the Cookies box on both screens if you have both. Click on analyze and when finished, click on Run Cleaner.

Click on the left icon for Registry, click on Scan for Issues on bottom left and let it rip. When its' finished, then click on Fix Selected Issues. Accept all the OK's to save a copy of the corrections. You likely will never need them.

If this is the first time, you will have MB/GB of files in Cleaner to delete, and perhaps hundreds of items in Registry to delete. After that, a regular cleaning once in a while gets rid of the clutter that piles up.

Do run a throrough virus scan. Microsoft has a good free virus program if needed, so does AVG.

chuckdee
Corinth, TX

March 19, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9048703

Kodak seems to have the cheapest ink out there. Depending on how much you're going to print, you may want to consider that.
Sparks42
Lexington, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
3:04 AM

Post #9066335

Its been quite a while since I have been on here. I ended up getting an Epson Stylus NX430, an inexpensive one and it does all I need, no fax which I never used. Thanks Chuck for all your help. I am using the free version of AVG for invections and it works fine. I do have a special anti virus program that works great. It was put on here after my computer crashed and the Tech added it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America