Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Handyman: Can a dremel cut rebar?

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 14, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 29, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9024752

Can my dremel tool cut rebar? What kind of blade/disk would I need?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 29, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9024864

I don't think a Dremel is the way to go for cutting rebar - seems like it would take a very long time and you'd have a lot of broken blades. A RotoZip would be a lot better with a metal cutoff wheel and it should be good for small projects.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 1, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9025739

The fastest way is with an angle grinder and a cut-off wheel.

I think the Dremel could do it, but you probably will go through many wheels and take a long time.

A hacksaw can do it, too, but if you have a lot of cuts to make - it will be a tiring exercise.

Harbor Freight quite often has the 4.5 inch angle grinder on sale for about $20, and all kinds of wheels for $1 to $6. Just bought a back of 10 wheels for $10 that had cut-off wheels, grinder wheels and flap-sanders.

Used several wheels cutting over 100 ft of 3/8 rebar a couple of years ago. Started with a recip saw and metal cutting blade, but it was slow and destroyed the blades pretty fast. Only took seconds with the angle grinder.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9025769

Thanks for your replies .. as I understand it, all I have to do is cut half way through and I can bend it a break it off. Is this correct?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9025799

I'd say you have to cut almost all the way through. Rebar is pretty tough to bend even with cutting halfway through (as I remember it). I used my RotoZip but an angle grinder like Bubba mentioned would probably be a stouter tool if you had to do several rebars.

If you had a lot of rebar to cut I'd rent a rebar cutter (maybe HD rents a tool like some of these pictured in the link).

http://www.ccinetwork.com/c-5-rebar-tools.aspx?gclid=CIHS4sOUxq4CFQpZ7AodKyAvWg

Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 1, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9025879

Here is a link to Harbor freight - there is one 4.5 angle grinder for less than $19. You would probally spend more renting a manual cutter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=angle grinder
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9025905

Sigh .. I only need to cut 3 ten foot pieces in half - I'm thinking maybe if I go on and buy it, see if I can find a construction site and they may cut it for me.
chuck7701
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9025921

A circular saw with a metal blade will also cut that rebar. If you buy it, they might be able to cut it for you.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9025962

I already asked if the store would cut it and they said no. Next time I go I'll check out metal blades for my saw and see about the angle grinder.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9026011

Why not just buy shorter lengths? Not sure if they come in five foot lengths but I'm pretty sure they come in four and six foot lengths. They do make for some good stakes.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

March 1, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9026093

A masonary blade for your circular saw will do it - get as thin a blade as you can - should be about the thickness of the saw blade. Be sure to secure the rebar and cut straight to prevent breaking the blade and let the blade make the cut - don't force it.
One other word of caution - the cut ends will be HOT! Wear gloves.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9026359

If you know anyone that has a metal chop saw goes thru rebar in two minutes.

A welding bus. might have one or a cement contractor as they are often used to reinforce concrete when they pour it.

We have one but we are too far away.

Bonnie
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9030370

Ever thought of a good old fashioned hacksaw? Slow, but it works. Personally, I use a reciprcating saw with a metal cutting blade. BTW, Lowes sells short lengths, I buy them all the time.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9032104

Thanks to everyone for suggestions .. I just happened to stumble upon a site that says use a masonry blade in my circular saw - so off to home depot for a masonry blade and rebar!

http://gardening.bsntech.com/bsntech-blog-mainmenu-321/gardening-mainmenu-301/1111-how-to-cut-rebar.html
chuck7701
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9032126

EYE PROTECTION...with masonry blades and metal for sure

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America