March Weather, Spring ?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

New month, new thread.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Sunny and warm - 62 degrees at 1:30 pm.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2012 1:38 PM

Mountain View, HI

Same again today - this is nuts - no blue sky since Monday.

Billyporter - one greenhouse is Amaryllis, one orchid cactus (Epis) and Fushcias and one is real orchids. With our weather you ask why have a greenhouse. Main reason is to control over watering and get potted plants onto benches.... the other is I'M OUT OF CONTROL!!!! MAYBE I NEED A FOURTH GREENHOUSE AND THEN A FIFTH. WHAT WILL I DO WITH ALL THE SEEDLINGS AND CUTTINGS I GET FROM WHAT I'VE GOT! AND THEN THERE'S EBAY .. Sorry folks got carried away. Enough already.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Pretty warm today with sunny skies, strong winds and temps in the 70s.

Last I heard the theatres did get hit but I'm not catching alot of the news. And what I do catch doesn't cover what I want to know. lol

Well, I had a very eventful day today. I was supposed to work at Richie Brothers Auction doing the concession stand but they didn't need me and another coworker for a few hours so we worked in the store. It is truck day so we broke down truck. We went and helped separate frozen stuff, I picked up a box from above me and didn't realize there was another box on it. That box, which was a case of bacon, fell and hit me on the nose. Needless to say I had to wait a bit before putting my glasses on. lol. My nose did swell and is still raw on the inside but no lasting damage. I was the talk of the store today. lol

(Zone 7a)

OUCH!!! That makes my eyes water just thinking about it!

I'm right there with you on the GH obsession. LOL

Cooler... 35 and snow on the way.

Trust me, my eyes watered, I saw stars and when I put my glasses on the first few times, I got really dizzy. Took a few minutes to get all working parts back where they belong. lol.

(Zone 7a)

I stood up under a very heavy hanging plant once. I saw stars and birdies for a few minutes. LOL Glad it wasn't worse for you!

It's snowing now. We have about an inch of new.

(Zone 5a)

34/38/27
Through 10am: A period of light rain is likely between 6am and 8am. Mostly cloudy with temperatures reaching the upper 30s. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 65%.
This afternoon: Rain and snow this morning, becoming all snow for the afternoon. Winds NNW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of precip 90%. Snow accumulating 1 to 3 inches.

Thanks Bernie,
I am so ready to step into March!

Mike, your greenhouse flowers sound beautiful!! Especially the real orchids. I bought a book on orchids long ago, even tho I knew I would never have any. But, if I do, I'll be a little prepared :o)
GRIN!! Go for it! We ALL get carried away!

Pepper,
Breaking down the truck would be what I'd like to do.
I can't help it. I am rolling on the floor over your poor nose! Ok, since we are such good friends, I felt I could let all that out. You know I do feel for your injuries, and sure hope this is the last one! My DD always seemed to be in the path of a hurt. I always felt bad when I backed up and stepped on her foot or something. I would swear she wasn't there a minute ago.
So, I hope you don't get hurt anymore!!!

Celia,
That's scary. I was sawing thru a branch that came down and hit me in the head. Scared the bejeeebers out of me!

(Zone 7a)

LOL Sally, that would scare mee, too!

We got about 2" of more snow last night. It's very pretty but I'm ready for Spring now. 29 and sunny.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

decent right now. possible flurries in the next day or two.
I heard 52 for Monday!! Then I heard 40 - either way Spring is coming.

Well, this morning my nose was crooked. Even my coworkers noticed it. I pushed on it later in the day and now it's straight. I didn't think I put that much pressure on it so hoping it was just slightly dislocated. lol. Still have a small bruise and it's sore in some spots but all in all, considering it was a small part of a pig that hit me, I'm in pretty good shape! LOL

Weather: Cold this morning and wet. Started out with sprinkles, then heavy rain, then it changed to a heavy snow. Snowed for a couple hours, accumulated on the grass but the roads just stayed wet. Then it tapered off, went back to sprinkles and the sun finally came out for the rest of the day. Temps went up to high 40s.

Mountain View, HI

Two hours of sunshine yesterday afternoon. Today is back to grey skies and heavier rain. The high cloud that was blocking the sun for most of the week has gone and now we have thick, low ceiling cumulous cloud bearing plenty of rain. Weather service says the area of cloud stretches 250 miles to the south east and will last through tomorrow. 15 inches of rain last month. 19 inches so far this year.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

It was pretty warm and muggy. Had to run errands! Nice day overall

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

up to 86 today, thunderstorms on the way, cold front coming down. So much for our beautiful 80 degrees days. Hope the storm settles down before going through here, same line that has caused all the killer tornadoes.

I've been so busy working in the garden and gave myself a black eye last week lopping my crape myrtles. My lopper got stuck and I pulled on it and popped myself right in the eye. Next morning was swollen shut and all purple. I've never had a black eye in my life. My DH and I went to have our annual blood work done that morning and every one was giving him dirty looks. ☺

Gonna cool down here again for a bit. But no snow...ha ha.

Mountain View, HI

Heavy rain all night, thunderstorms from 4am to 7am. Rain backed off by about 9am and flood advisory was cancelled, but still have continuous light rain and overcast skies, about 68f

Windy, sunny and temps in mid 40s for a high. Now that spring is almost here I will eventually get started taking pics again. Nothing to take pics of this past winter. Most boring and dull looking winter I've seen in years.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Gorgeous day! Still fighting this sinus infection / crud. Supposed to be cold in the am, but in the high 60's or mid 70's tomorrow.

Will be over at Mom's / Dearest sister's going thru things this week, so may not be able to check in.

Only thing we have in bloom is yellow Jasmine and pink and red camelias, oh, lavender azaleas.

Storm woke me up at 6:15 this morning as the front pushed through, didn't rain long but is blustery out and big wind gust. Temperature has dropped 15 degrees since this morning. Down to 44 tonight...I hope they're right...got lots of peppers out there and tomatoes.

Have a nice day everyone!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

nothing to report from MN. mid to high 20's today. Clear skies.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Snow flurries here. Cold!

Mountain View, HI

Suns out this morning, quickly up to 74f with light winds. So pleasant

Billyporter - just wanted to point out that my definition of a greenhouse is not like many on the mainland. I buy the car canopies from Costco, about $240 with the tubular metal frames, store the roof, ends and side material away for some other use and then throw some greenhouse plastic sheeting over the top and weigh it down with concrete blocks along both sides. Ends are both totally open to allow the heat to escape.. Bench support is 1 1/2inch PVC tubing. See attached photo - I hope. The second one in the photo was purchased from someone who decided to leave the island. It came with shade cloth sides instead of plastic. I had to put ends on this one to stop the chickens getting in.

Thumbnail by microb Thumbnail by microb

Temps almost reached 60 today but didn't quite make it. Blustery out there with winds gusting up to 35mph. Supposed to die down sometime tonight.

41 when I got up...saw frost on the rooftops, funny didn't seem that cold. Hope my peppers do okay, they are full of blossoms. Winds finally calmed down after sunset yesterday. But supposed to get back to mid 70's later on.

Mike nice green houses...wish I had the room for something like that...I'd be in heaven.

(Zone 7a)

Mike, does a cat come with every greenhouse? LOL

Spring-like weather here yesterday and today. Yesterday, we made it to 54. Today, we'll be ever warmer. Woohoo!

57 for a high, sunny and windy. Tomorrow the winds really kick up and we have a wind advisory starting early tomorrow lasting til 7pm tomorrow.

Mountain View, HI

Strong storm causing flooding at the other end of the Island chain. Some places on Kauai had 13 inches of rain in a 24 hour period. Some roads closed.
Some places on Oahu had 9 inches. Some small rock slides and roads closed. No injuries!
Here on the Big Island it was cloudy, but mostly dry. Might storm again tomorrow.

Kwanjin - I put the cat there so I don't trip over that stump!!!!

I highly recommend zipties. I use them for everything. You can see the ends where I tied the bench to the supports. I use them to fix fences, hang hanging baskets. You can buy them 2 feet long with 200lb breaking strain. They use them to tie hydraulic pipes on Mack Trucks. Make longer lengths by stringing them together, tie back bushes etc etc.

(Zone 7a)

Mike, it's the cat I would trip over. LOL

63 yesterday. A truly wonderful day! 55 now, breezy and overcast. Light snow coming this afternoon or tonight.

Isis out in the snow a few days ago.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Celia, how cute! So warm at your place!
Spring is on the way here too, the snow is thawing slowly and snowdrops are popping up.
I have an article published today :

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3615/

Thumbnail by adinamiti
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

59 according to the van today! It was BEAUTIFUL!!
39 for tomorrow from what I have heard..

(Zone 5a)

52/59/32
Cloudy and windy with a slight chance of afternoon thunderstorms. Winds SSW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
Showers and thundershowers likely this evening with a shower or two possible overnight. Winds NW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

Celia,
Smile. It's almost spring here this week. I sat outside on the porch yesterday afternoon, and saw a few tulips poking thru!

Pepper,
Wow, pushing your nose back in place! I hope it's ok, and not a problem later :o(

Sherri,
Smile. I hope reading about everyone's bruises don't subconciously make me bruise myself...

Jeanne,
I'm sure it's hard to sort thru things.

Mike,
I love your greenhouse! It would be so cool to be in there in a rainstorm! ( I can never see how a cat gets comfortable in some of the places they chose to sleep!
Your chickens?

Sherri,
I am always amazed that people have peppers and tomatoes going in March :o) I hope they weathered the frost too!

Celia,
Smile over the cat with the greenhouse :o)

Mike, ROTFL over the cat and the stump!!
We use zippies too!

Celia, I forgot Isis is all black. I was picturing Cleo earlier when I said he/she :o)

Adina,
After the snow you had, those snowdrops look like a promise. They are beautiful peeking thru!

Another beautiful day ahead. We had kids yesterday and I go to DD's today.

Have a beautiful day!

(Zone 7a)

Sally, LOL! No worries. Isis loves the snow. She will follow me and sometimes play in it.

30 and looking like we might get some sun today. 44 expected today and warming toward the weekend and beyond. Tulips are poking out here, too!

Thumbnail by kwanjin Thumbnail by kwanjin
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

It's 68 and windy here as I listen to the 11:00 am 'test' of the tornado sirens. Let's hope this unseasonably warm weather doesn't turn disastrous. We're supposed to get rain later - we need it!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

39 & drizzling today. Sun finally came out on my way home from work.
It is SO NICE to hear the birds in the mornings again. It totally sets the tone for my day. I love it!
Tomorrow 42

Welcoming spring with wide open arms!!

60's by next week!! WOOT WOOT!

Mid 60s today and mostly cloudy. Started out sunny til late morning then the clouds rolled in. Rain in area but it's scattered right now.

Mountain View, HI

Beautiful day today. Storms have passed. Disaster declared by governor for two islands. At home today is was sunny, nice breeze, no complaints. More storms and heavy rain forecast for Thursday - Saturday

Billyporter - you asked about the chickens - when we built the house and moved in 19 years ago we said "nice to have three or four egg laying chickens around the yard. Oh, one was a rooster" If you can multiply by 2 multiple times the rest is history. We now have about 100 wild chickens out in the forest and around the garden. The back yard is more like farm yard with loose chickens and peacocks, ducks and geese are penned. Fish ponds, trees and giant bamboos are in that area as they are chicken proof
In the front yard where the greenhouses are we walk our dogs so gardening is possible but there is nothing better for roosting than a dry greenhouse. Only one GH is where the chickens are prolific. So far they have stayed away. Currently have about 12 - day old chicks roaming around. Oh so cute and cuddly at that age - but they grow up into scratching monsters. Bands of roaming chickens taunt me from time to time and get chased off by a handful of gravel.
One day I will tell the story of rabbit rescue.

(Zone 5a)

32/47/24
Some clouds this morning will give way to generally sunny skies for the afternoon. Winds NW at 15 to 25 mph.

Celia,
Love the snow overhang!

Leawood,
Better test sirens than the real thing. They blow the fire whistle here. They don't use it for fires anymore since everyone has pagers. I miss not knowing there is a fire call. I have a scanner, but am not always in the house to listen to it.

Minnesippi,
YES! I said that the other day as my DH opened the door. Birds!
Woot woot indeed for your area, LOL!

Pepper,
We're in the iffy zone. The rain for yesterday happened as we got home from DD's. It lasted long enough for us to get in the house, LOL!

Mike,
Wow, a disaster.
Now, LOL, do YOU get any eggs? DD used to have 3 ducks. One female, so she had duck egs too. Sadly only the male is left and he folllows the chickens all over. Her chickens are free range and go in the house at night. I can honestly say I go to bed before the chickens. They stay out till the last minute!
Baby chicks!! Sooo adorable!
Can't wait for the rabbit rescue story!

I'm gearing up to bring in the large heavy plant stand this week. It's a bit soon to start the tomatoes, but the peppers can. Now I need to dig everything out of the garage too. Pots and soil. Yippee!

Mountain View, HI

light rain overnight which just the way we like it. Sunshine mixed with clouds and light winds this morning. I work parttime so lucky to be off today. Hope to get some gardening done along with some house painting.

Seeing as how this is a weather thread I hesitate going off at a tangent on other topics.

Maybe I should move my rabbit story to "jokes and humor". We shall see.

Temps only in the 40s today although this afternoon it wasn't too bad.

Mike, we are always up for a good story on here!! And we go off on other tangents all the time but always come back to the weather. Eventually. LOL

I have daffodils getting ready to bloom!! I saw buds on them yesterday.

(Zone 7a)

Pepper, that's great! My tulips are just showing tips in the back, but they're transplants from last year. The established ones in front are up about 6".

We will be having much warmer weather over the next several days.

I agree on the stories. We always go off somewhere else but end up back at the weather. LOL

(Zone 5a)

29/44/31
Plenty of sunshine. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph.

Mike,
All topicss are welcome with the weather. We all gab, or it would be another boring weather report :o)
Besides, most of us have so many threads to keep up on already, reading the story here, is best!

Oh Pepper,
Daffies already!! Mine are late bloomers so they aren't even peeking thru yet :o(
It was not nice here at all. We have no snow, but the wind felt like it was blowing across some. Chilly!

Celia,
Same tulip story here, but not as tall as your's. I'm just thrilled that those I transplanted last fall are making a good showing already!

Mike,
Can't wait for the rabbit story!

It's Friday and I don't have the boys over the weekend. Time to get some things done outside!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images