Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Weather: March Weather, Spring ?

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 129, Views: 770
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 1, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9025906

New month, new thread.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9025922

Sunny and warm - 62 degrees at 1:30 pm.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2012 1:38 PM

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

March 1, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9025983

Same again today - this is nuts - no blue sky since Monday.

Billyporter - one greenhouse is Amaryllis, one orchid cactus (Epis) and Fushcias and one is real orchids. With our weather you ask why have a greenhouse. Main reason is to control over watering and get potted plants onto benches... the other is I'M OUT OF CONTROL!!!! MAYBE I NEED A FOURTH GREENHOUSE AND THEN A FIFTH. WHAT WILL I DO WITH ALL THE SEEDLINGS AND CUTTINGS I GET FROM WHAT I'VE GOT! AND THEN THERE'S EBAY .. Sorry folks got carried away. Enough already.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9026366

Pretty warm today with sunny skies, strong winds and temps in the 70s.

Last I heard the theatres did get hit but I'm not catching alot of the news. And what I do catch doesn't cover what I want to know. lol

Well, I had a very eventful day today. I was supposed to work at Richie Brothers Auction doing the concession stand but they didn't need me and another coworker for a few hours so we worked in the store. It is truck day so we broke down truck. We went and helped separate frozen stuff, I picked up a box from above me and didn't realize there was another box on it. That box, which was a case of bacon, fell and hit me on the nose. Needless to say I had to wait a bit before putting my glasses on. lol. My nose did swell and is still raw on the inside but no lasting damage. I was the talk of the store today. lol

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9026406

OUCH!!! That makes my eyes water just thinking about it!

I'm right there with you on the GH obsession. LOL

Cooler... 35º and snow on the way.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9026472

Trust me, my eyes watered, I saw stars and when I put my glasses on the first few times, I got really dizzy. Took a few minutes to get all working parts back where they belong. lol.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2012
10:06 PM

Post #9026628

I stood up under a very heavy hanging plant once. I saw stars and birdies for a few minutes. LOL Glad it wasn't worse for you!

It's snowing now. We have about an inch of new.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2012
3:47 AM

Post #9026696

34°/38°/27°
Through 10am: A period of light rain is likely between 6am and 8am. Mostly cloudy with temperatures reaching the upper 30s. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 65%.
This afternoon: Rain and snow this morning, becoming all snow for the afternoon. Winds NNW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of precip 90%. Snow accumulating 1 to 3 inches.

Thanks Bernie,
I am so ready to step into March!

Mike, your greenhouse flowers sound beautiful!! Especially the real orchids. I bought a book on orchids long ago, even tho I knew I would never have any. But, if I do, I'll be a little prepared :o)
GRIN!! Go for it! We ALL get carried away!

Pepper,
Breaking down the truck would be what I'd like to do.
I can't help it. I am rolling on the floor over your poor nose! Ok, since we are such good friends, I felt I could let all that out. You know I do feel for your injuries, and sure hope this is the last one! My DD always seemed to be in the path of a hurt. I always felt bad when I backed up and stepped on her foot or something. I would swear she wasn't there a minute ago.
So, I hope you don't get hurt anymore!!!

Celia,
That's scary. I was sawing thru a branch that came down and hit me in the head. Scared the bejeeebers out of me!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9026989

LOL Sally, that would scare mee, too!

We got about 2" of more snow last night. It's very pretty but I'm ready for Spring now. 29º and sunny.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 2, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9027556

decent right now. possible flurries in the next day or two.
I heard 52 for Monday!! Then I heard 40 - either way Spring is coming.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9027565

Well, this morning my nose was crooked. Even my coworkers noticed it. I pushed on it later in the day and now it's straight. I didn't think I put that much pressure on it so hoping it was just slightly dislocated. lol. Still have a small bruise and it's sore in some spots but all in all, considering it was a small part of a pig that hit me, I'm in pretty good shape! LOL

Weather: Cold this morning and wet. Started out with sprinkles, then heavy rain, then it changed to a heavy snow. Snowed for a couple hours, accumulated on the grass but the roads just stayed wet. Then it tapered off, went back to sprinkles and the sun finally came out for the rest of the day. Temps went up to high 40s.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

March 2, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9027587

Two hours of sunshine yesterday afternoon. Today is back to grey skies and heavier rain. The high cloud that was blocking the sun for most of the week has gone and now we have thick, low ceiling cumulous cloud bearing plenty of rain. Weather service says the area of cloud stretches 250 miles to the south east and will last through tomorrow. 15 inches of rain last month. 19 inches so far this year.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9027660

It was pretty warm and muggy. Had to run errands! Nice day overall

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 3, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9027907

up to 86 today, thunderstorms on the way, cold front coming down. So much for our beautiful 80 degrees days. Hope the storm settles down before going through here, same line that has caused all the killer tornadoes.

I've been so busy working in the garden and gave myself a black eye last week lopping my crape myrtles. My lopper got stuck and I pulled on it and popped myself right in the eye. Next morning was swollen shut and all purple. I've never had a black eye in my life. My DH and I went to have our annual blood work done that morning and every one was giving him dirty looks. ☺

Gonna cool down here again for a bit. But no snow...ha ha.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

March 3, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9028754

Heavy rain all night, thunderstorms from 4am to 7am. Rain backed off by about 9am and flood advisory was cancelled, but still have continuous light rain and overcast skies, about 68f
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9028756

Windy, sunny and temps in mid 40s for a high. Now that spring is almost here I will eventually get started taking pics again. Nothing to take pics of this past winter. Most boring and dull looking winter I've seen in years.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2012
10:10 PM

Post #9029045

Gorgeous day! Still fighting this sinus infection / crud. Supposed to be cold in the am, but in the high 60's or mid 70's tomorrow.

Will be over at Mom's / Dearest sister's going thru things this week, so may not be able to check in.

Only thing we have in bloom is yellow Jasmine and pink and red camelias, oh, lavender azaleas.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 4, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9029190

Storm woke me up at 6:15 this morning as the front pushed through, didn't rain long but is blustery out and big wind gust. Temperature has dropped 15 degrees since this morning. Down to 44 tonight...I hope they're right...got lots of peppers out there and tomatoes.

Have a nice day everyone!
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 4, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9029209

nothing to report from MN. mid to high 20's today. Clear skies.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 4, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9029486

Snow flurries here. Cold!

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

March 4, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9029715

Suns out this morning, quickly up to 74f with light winds. So pleasant

Billyporter - just wanted to point out that my definition of a greenhouse is not like many on the mainland. I buy the car canopies from Costco, about $240 with the tubular metal frames, store the roof, ends and side material away for some other use and then throw some greenhouse plastic sheeting over the top and weigh it down with concrete blocks along both sides. Ends are both totally open to allow the heat to escape.. Bench support is 1 1/2inch PVC tubing. See attached photo - I hope. The second one in the photo was purchased from someone who decided to leave the island. It came with shade cloth sides instead of plastic. I had to put ends on this one to stop the chickens getting in.

Thumbnail by microb   Thumbnail by microb
Click an image for an enlarged view.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9029885

Temps almost reached 60 today but didn't quite make it. Blustery out there with winds gusting up to 35mph. Supposed to die down sometime tonight.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 5, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9030384

41 when I got up...saw frost on the rooftops, funny didn't seem that cold. Hope my peppers do okay, they are full of blossoms. Winds finally calmed down after sunset yesterday. But supposed to get back to mid 70's later on.

Mike nice green houses...wish I had the room for something like that...I'd be in heaven.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9030537

Mike, does a cat come with every greenhouse? LOL

Spring-like weather here yesterday and today. Yesterday, we made it to 54º. Today, we'll be ever warmer. Woohoo!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9031489

57 for a high, sunny and windy. Tomorrow the winds really kick up and we have a wind advisory starting early tomorrow lasting til 7pm tomorrow.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

March 5, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9031629

Strong storm causing flooding at the other end of the Island chain. Some places on Kauai had 13 inches of rain in a 24 hour period. Some roads closed.
Some places on Oahu had 9 inches. Some small rock slides and roads closed. No injuries!
Here on the Big Island it was cloudy, but mostly dry. Might storm again tomorrow.

Kwanjin - I put the cat there so I don't trip over that stump!!!!

I highly recommend zipties. I use them for everything. You can see the ends where I tied the bench to the supports. I use them to fix fences, hang hanging baskets. You can buy them 2 feet long with 200lb breaking strain. They use them to tie hydraulic pipes on Mack Trucks. Make longer lengths by stringing them together, tie back bushes etc etc.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9032092

Mike, it's the cat I would trip over. LOL

63º yesterday. A truly wonderful day! 55º now, breezy and overcast. Light snow coming this afternoon or tonight.

Isis out in the snow a few days ago.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

March 6, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9032346

Celia, how cute! So warm at your place!
Spring is on the way here too, the snow is thawing slowly and snowdrops are popping up.
I have an article published today :

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3615/

Thumbnail by adinamiti

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 6, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9032628

59 according to the van today! It was BEAUTIFUL!!
39 for tomorrow from what I have heard..

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2012
3:40 AM

Post #9032951

52°/59°/32°
Cloudy and windy with a slight chance of afternoon thunderstorms. Winds SSW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
Showers and thundershowers likely this evening with a shower or two possible overnight. Winds NW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

Celia,
Smile. It's almost spring here this week. I sat outside on the porch yesterday afternoon, and saw a few tulips poking thru!

Pepper,
Wow, pushing your nose back in place! I hope it's ok, and not a problem later :o(

Sherri,
Smile. I hope reading about everyone's bruises don't subconciously make me bruise myself...

Jeanne,
I'm sure it's hard to sort thru things.

Mike,
I love your greenhouse! It would be so cool to be in there in a rainstorm! ( I can never see how a cat gets comfortable in some of the places they chose to sleep!
Your chickens?

Sherri,
I am always amazed that people have peppers and tomatoes going in March :o) I hope they weathered the frost too!

Celia,
Smile over the cat with the greenhouse :o)

Mike, ROTFL over the cat and the stump!!
We use zippies too!

Celia, I forgot Isis is all black. I was picturing Cleo earlier when I said he/she :o)

Adina,
After the snow you had, those snowdrops look like a promise. They are beautiful peeking thru!

Another beautiful day ahead. We had kids yesterday and I go to DD's today.

Have a beautiful day!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9033166

Sally, LOL! No worries. Isis loves the snow. She will follow me and sometimes play in it.

30º and looking like we might get some sun today. 44º expected today and warming toward the weekend and beyond. Tulips are poking out here, too!

Thumbnail by kwanjin   Thumbnail by kwanjin

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9033258

It's 68 and windy here as I listen to the 11:00 am 'test' of the tornado sirens. Let's hope this unseasonably warm weather doesn't turn disastrous. We're supposed to get rain later - we need it!
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 7, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9033828

39 & drizzling today. Sun finally came out on my way home from work.
It is SO NICE to hear the birds in the mornings again. It totally sets the tone for my day. I love it!
Tomorrow 42

Welcoming spring with wide open arms!!

60's by next week!! WOOT WOOT!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9033842

Mid 60s today and mostly cloudy. Started out sunny til late morning then the clouds rolled in. Rain in area but it's scattered right now.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

March 7, 2012
10:09 PM

Post #9034163

Beautiful day today. Storms have passed. Disaster declared by governor for two islands. At home today is was sunny, nice breeze, no complaints. More storms and heavy rain forecast for Thursday - Saturday

Billyporter - you asked about the chickens - when we built the house and moved in 19 years ago we said "nice to have three or four egg laying chickens around the yard. Oh, one was a rooster" If you can multiply by 2 multiple times the rest is history. We now have about 100 wild chickens out in the forest and around the garden. The back yard is more like farm yard with loose chickens and peacocks, ducks and geese are penned. Fish ponds, trees and giant bamboos are in that area as they are chicken proof
In the front yard where the greenhouses are we walk our dogs so gardening is possible but there is nothing better for roosting than a dry greenhouse. Only one GH is where the chickens are prolific. So far they have stayed away. Currently have about 12 - day old chicks roaming around. Oh so cute and cuddly at that age - but they grow up into scratching monsters. Bands of roaming chickens taunt me from time to time and get chased off by a handful of gravel.
One day I will tell the story of rabbit rescue.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2012
2:31 AM

Post #9034209

32°/47°/24°
Some clouds this morning will give way to generally sunny skies for the afternoon. Winds NW at 15 to 25 mph.

Celia,
Love the snow overhang!

Leawood,
Better test sirens than the real thing. They blow the fire whistle here. They don't use it for fires anymore since everyone has pagers. I miss not knowing there is a fire call. I have a scanner, but am not always in the house to listen to it.

Minnesippi,
YES! I said that the other day as my DH opened the door. Birds!
Woot woot indeed for your area, LOL!

Pepper,
We're in the iffy zone. The rain for yesterday happened as we got home from DD's. It lasted long enough for us to get in the house, LOL!

Mike,
Wow, a disaster.
Now, LOL, do YOU get any eggs? DD used to have 3 ducks. One female, so she had duck egs too. Sadly only the male is left and he folllows the chickens all over. Her chickens are free range and go in the house at night. I can honestly say I go to bed before the chickens. They stay out till the last minute!
Baby chicks!! Sooo adorable!
Can't wait for the rabbit rescue story!

I'm gearing up to bring in the large heavy plant stand this week. It's a bit soon to start the tomatoes, but the peppers can. Now I need to dig everything out of the garage too. Pots and soil. Yippee!

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

March 8, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9034762

light rain overnight which just the way we like it. Sunshine mixed with clouds and light winds this morning. I work parttime so lucky to be off today. Hope to get some gardening done along with some house painting.

Seeing as how this is a weather thread I hesitate going off at a tangent on other topics.

Maybe I should move my rabbit story to "jokes and humor". We shall see.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9035138

Temps only in the 40s today although this afternoon it wasn't too bad.

Mike, we are always up for a good story on here!! And we go off on other tangents all the time but always come back to the weather. Eventually. LOL

I have daffodils getting ready to bloom!! I saw buds on them yesterday.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9035340

Pepper, that's great! My tulips are just showing tips in the back, but they're transplants from last year. The established ones in front are up about 6".

We will be having much warmer weather over the next several days.

I agree on the stories. We always go off somewhere else but end up back at the weather. LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2012
3:16 AM

Post #9035406

29°/44°/31°
Plenty of sunshine. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph.

Mike,
All topicss are welcome with the weather. We all gab, or it would be another boring weather report :o)
Besides, most of us have so many threads to keep up on already, reading the story here, is best!

Oh Pepper,
Daffies already!! Mine are late bloomers so they aren't even peeking thru yet :o(
It was not nice here at all. We have no snow, but the wind felt like it was blowing across some. Chilly!

Celia,
Same tulip story here, but not as tall as your's. I'm just thrilled that those I transplanted last fall are making a good showing already!

Mike,
Can't wait for the rabbit story!

It's Friday and I don't have the boys over the weekend. Time to get some things done outside!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 9, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9035976

Sunny warm and the typical pop up thunderstorms here. High winds everyday this past week, fire warning hazard posted. Today 83, upper 60's during the night and pretty much going to be upper 70's to low 80's this next week and sunny. My weather report will be pretty boring for a bit, but all the spring breakers like it that way. ☺

Mike is it normal for this much rain in the winter? I remember rock slides in California...no fun. I find it interesting about all your chickens, peacocks, ducks and also look forward to the rabbit story. We have free roaming chickens in our sister town of Oviedo, they have been roaming the streets of that town for decades. You can look them up and their story on Google. It is a pretty common site to see them stop four lanes of traffic while they cross the street. I see them often when out on my morning bike rides on the bike trail. Oh, and we have free roaming peacocks also. People don't like them though and will protest to have them removed.

Celia love the photo of Isis in the snow...and the other snowy photos, so pretty.

And Adina I had no idea flowers pop out of snow...pretty neat to see that. Glad spring is on its way for everyone.

Billy this is our growing season for tomatoes and peppers, by mid summer it is too hot for tomatoes and even the peppers take a break in peak summer, then I'll be envying everyone up north with their beautiful bounties.

Leawood I hope you don't get anymore bad weather, enough is enough. What a terrible season this has been.

Pepper I'd love to see your daffodils, hope you can photograph them. No daffodils or tulips down here.
-Sherri

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9036091

It's 60 degrees and sunny at 4:00 pm on Friday in the Heartland. It's supposed to be 68 and sunny tomorrow (yipee! Work in the garden!), with rain on Sunday.

Life is good.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9036270

Temps reached high 50s and was sunny with a slight breeze. Very nice day out!!

I took advantage of the nice day (to a point, could have done alot more) and cleaned up my mess in the old chicken house which now houses my pots. Got rid of a bunch of smaller plastic ones and oddballs and kept the ones I figure I might need. Got out my old bike too and plan on getting it fixed up so I can use it this year. Haven't ridden it in years because it's too dangerous to ride on my road and it gets old going in circles in my yard. lol

My tulips that I planted on north side of house down by the road 2 years ago are pooping up but it seems none of the ones I planted last year down there are coming up. I sincerely hope the snakes or squirrels didn't eat them. The squirrels have plenty of food here with the walnuts, cat food and bird food. And that's just in the yard. lol. I should have taken pics today of stuff coming up. Never occured to me. lol. I have tulips, daffodils and hyanciths down there and none are popping up yet. I need to dig down and see if they are still there.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9036482

We had a sunny 55º today. So nice to be outside and comfortable.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

March 9, 2012
10:27 PM

Post #9036498

What weather! On the windward side of Oahu, Kaneohe and Kailua - major severe thunderstorm this morning caused a small tornado and hail up to 2 inches in diameter. Flooded homes, mud slides, blocked roads. Lightning was like continuous strobe lights for about 1/2 hour. We watched this on the morning news cast. For those not familiar a small range of mountains (4000ft) divide the island of Oahu in two down the middle. Three highways come through tunnels to get from one side to the other. Cameras on the high rise buildings in Honolulu had a grandstand view across the mountains. Dry in Honolulu.
In our area it was a perfect day.
Storm system has moved away.

Here's the Rabbit Story - keep thinking "Rabbits"
We had just moved to the Big Island from Oahu back in 1994 One evening we watched a news item on TV where one of our friends was interviewed. There was this community of townhouses in an upscale area of Honolulu that was situated on a bay surrounded by boat docks for small sailing boats and launches. Waterside restaurants, golden sunsets, high property values - you get the picture. At Easter these folks would buy rabbits for their loving children and after a few months the parents got tired of looking after them an they would take these rabbits to an island in the middle of the bay. Condo owners association decided enough was enough. The rabbits had to go. Faced with the possibility of extermination our friend (we like to think under cover of darkness with no lights on his sailboat and face blackened) sailed his boat to the island, caught the 50 rabbits and caged them in his townhouse backyard - 20 x 30 ft.
He made an appeal via the television interview for help finding them a home.
OUR FIRST MISTAKE - we called him up and offered the rabbits a home, if he could get them to our island - 200 mile flight. He chartered a twin engine cargo plane for about $1000 and called our bluff. We owned a big 15 passenger van with seats removed. Flight would come into Kona airport, 100 mile drive around the island, and arrive at about 8pm.
Remember this is 50 rabbits in two cages, flying in a small plane for about 50 minutes.
We watched the plane taxi in and the first thing off the plane was a bicycle and 2 passengers. Brave souls! Followed by our two cages of rabbits. I have never been in a confined space with 50 rabbits for almost an hour 8000 ft above the ocean.
However I have been confined with 50 rabbits in a van for the two hour drive home.
We had prepared ourselves by building four large cages to house the rabbits, about 12 in each. New 20 foot by 30 foot metal roof open sided shed on the side of the house with gravel floor. We were ready!
Arrived home at about 11pm. So we decide to separate the males and females into separate cages. SECOND MISTAKE So there we are at 11pm with a flash light turning each one upside down, making an educated decision and putting them in their new homes. Its not easy picking up small wild rabbits and turning them upside down at 11pm! We, of course, were confident that they had behaved themselves while confined together in two cages for a couple of weeks.
Proud of our sexing activities, confident in our accuracy we went to bed exhausted.
In one cage we made one mistake. A very happy male was placed with 10 females.
For weeks after we had baby rabbits on the cage floors due to their pre arrival activities and, in one cage a very happy harem until we found our mistake and moved him out.
At one point we had over 60 rabbits, cute little bunnies grew into larger rabbits and older ones passed away peacefully.
The rest as they say is history. that was 18 years ago. We currently have one rabbit found running around outside my wifes work place and I should add we live on 38 acres in the middle of a forest.
This story could be more colourful but I tried to keep it short. Use your imagination!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9037292

ROTFLOL!!! That's great!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9037343

HIghs in low 60s and sunny. Very nice!! Rain moving in and raining all day tomorrow.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 10, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9037418

Record highs all around here today. More to come this week.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 11, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9038067

First Kill Deer is here today. It's spring for sure! Robins, blackbirds & grackles are here too.
Saw about a thousand snow & blue geese heading north this morning.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

March 11, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9038267

Breezy, sunny and so far no showers, great to get out into the garden. About 68f

Sunkissed - this has been a wet winter. We usually get more rain where we live - average is about 100+ inches per year. Much drier on other islands.

Billyporter - Yes we do get duck eggs, sometimes three a day when they are laying. They lay for about three weeks and then have a rest. Occasional chicken egg when we can find them. A few year ago we actually had some peacock eggs that we used in cooking. Hey, an eggs and egg, right.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9038324

Mid 50's with rain today - yipee! Our gardens need the moisture after a mild, dry winter. The rain has made the daffodils around my pond grow overnight.

Weather.com says it will be 80 here on Tuesday - I hope they are wrong!

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9038559

Same as Leawood. lol

Went hiking in the rain today. Helped a friend go check on another one of our friend's dogs and we romped thru the field and the woods. Found an old bridge that supposedly dates back to the Civil War days. That was kinda neat. We didn't get real close to it today. We're gonna try to do that another day.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 11, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9038709

Cardinals, robins, UGH! I LOVE IT! 66 yesterday, 62 today. Showers are scheduled for tonight overnight. 55 tomorrow.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9040169

High 70s for high and sunny.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 12, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9040268

showers through last night and a good share of the am. Sun tried popping out this afternoon. Then I got in a car accident and it started raining again. Oh well, its Monday.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

March 12, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9040482

Cool, grey, rainy, breezy

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 13, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9040651

57°/81°/61° and sunny sunny sunny. After raining all weekend yesterday only got up to 76 and it was a great day for working in the garden.

Mike loved the rabbit story, your place must really be something!

Leawood, love the fountain and don't you just love seeing things pop up overnight from the ground...make sure you post again when those flowers pop out.

Pepper what a neat find...I love hiking and finding old hidden treasures.

Minnie...oh no, I hope you are okay...nothing worse to ruin a day than a car accident.

I'm so glad everyone is feeling Spring in the air...I know we are all ready for it. I just love Springtime.

A wood pecker knows it is spring and making a nice place in a dead branch on our Turkey Oak for her nest. She was here last year also. Never saw the babies but could hear them up there.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9041785

Highs around 82 or so with a stiff breeze. Feels like summer. I'm in a t-shirt and capris. lol. Too early for this!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2012
3:21 AM

Post #9042054

49°/77°/56°
Morning sunshine will give way to isolated thunderstorms this afternoon. Warm. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Sherri,
I hear you, and anticipating my own crop of maters and such, I am happy to wait for it :o)

Mike,
I saw the tornado reports on TV. I'm glad it wasn't in yur area.
Rabbits! ROTFL and L! It was awesome that you took them and gave them such a good home tho!
Duck eggs are creamy and make moist cakes! What do peacock eggs taste like?

Love the fountain Lea, and we'll need pictures of the daffodils when they bloom!

Pepper,
Awesome on the bridge!!!

Minnesippi,
An accident! Hopefully you weren't hurt or bruised!

Sherri,
Love the woodpecker!

It's been beautiful here and I've been sleeping in. Then I get an early start inside so I can be outside. And outside I've been. It's beautiful here and we have another week of temps in the 70's.
Tomorrow we get the boys for a couple days, and next Tuesday we get the boys for a couple of days, so I won't get much done then.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9042494

It was so warm overnight (62 degrees) that I opened windows to get some cool air so I could sleep. Today it's humid and warm (74 at Noon - 80 predicted for 4:00 pm) and things are starting to pop. These hot, humid days always make me concerned about possible tornadoes.

The Saucer Magnolias (magnolia soulangeana) all over the 'hood are in full bloom and my Star Magnolias (magnolia stellata) are fully open too. I seems like just overnight the Greek Windflowers (anemone blanda) came up and bloomed... I love the intense, Aegean blue flowers.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9042611

Sorry my computer's been down. DS is having trouble with his also.

We've had so much rain, which we needed, and now it is warming up, so it is muggy. Supposed to be high 70's or 80 today I think.

We saw two cardinals on the back patio yesterday. I have some birdseed out there and they were enjoying it.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9042958

Low 80s for high and humid. Tried working outside today but the heat got to me. Not used to it yet. lol. Got some stuff done though.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

March 14, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9043078

Weather may actually be getting back to normal. Forecast is for light tradewinds, light night time showers and nice blue skies with puffy white clouds - at least for a couple of days.

Billyporter - never did know what the Peacock eggs tasted like as my wife used them in cooking - but they were bigger than a duck egg.

LeawoodGardener - Love that Magnolia - glad we can't grow them successfully here as it would be just another "gotta have one" plant.

Sunkissed - jealous of your woodpecker. Next to no wild birds or animals in Hawaii.

Received some Gladiolus Bulbs from South Carolina yesterday. Free gift was a packet of wild flower seeds. Will interesting to see what I get and grow them as potted plants.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9043704

The temp hit 83 yesterday and it's supposed to be in the upper 70's today. Things are growing so fast you can almost see it! The daffodils in the sunny areas around my pond opened yesterday.

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 15, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9044110

high 60's today - beautiful! Record set yesterday but not today. Low of 39 tonight. Back up in the 70's tomorrow.
I want to get in the yard so badly - but with the accident on Monday, I cant even get laundry done :( Its driving me crazy!!
leaves to rake, things to trim...smh
I am enjoying the cardinals and the robins every day.

Lots of talking with atty's and digging for more information - along with looking for a new vehicle...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9044242

Hit low 80s for high again today with high humidity. Not much of a breeze to help either. Scattered showers were possible today but I never saw or felt a drop.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9044405

We hit 71º here today. Yippee. Snow this weekend.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9044968

Mid 60's and partly cloudy today - possible rain tonight.

The Celandine poppy opened today.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9045361

Same as yesterday. No big changes.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2012
9:49 PM

Post #9046865

Same here also...Warm and muggy. Supposed to have a big storm on Tuesday.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 18, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9047103

80 here yesterday. More like May/June than March. 62 over night and already 69 this morning.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

March 18, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9047541

Grey skies, light rain, little or no wind and 70F. Had a typically nice Hawaiian day yesterday but never seem to get more than one or two in a row. Noticed the lawn was squishy under foot again yesterday. So grateful for gravel paths. Hope it will be drier this afternoon. Ideal growing weather. Fuschia are in bud.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9047588

Cloudy, humid and 71 degrees today. It feels like it could rain at any moment (we need the moisture), but the forecast is for no rain until tomorrow (possibly strong storm).

Everything has opened up early, and, as I fed the fish in my pond this morning, I noticed a water lily bloom. WHAT? This is only mid-March!

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2012
3:08 AM

Post #9048216

Weather has been wonderful all last week and this past weekend, just about the same each day, Sunny and low humidity for FL and just makes it to 80, drops to upper 50's by dawn...no AC yet. others have theirs one, but not us, we love it like this.

Leawood thanks for the daffodil photos, they are just lovely...I wish we could grow them this far south.

Sounds like spring has come for most...80 in MO already...wow.

Minnie I hope you weren't hurt, do you mean just the dealing with the car repair and phone calls is keeping you busy? It all can be a pain...but I do hope you are okay.

Mike you need a break from that rain...you can send it here to FL...we sure could use some. Of course it is spring break here for the next month and all those college kids at the beach would disagree with me.

Some of my garden flowers for you all!

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9048408

Lucky you, to have so many pretty flowers. I'm a little jealous. LOL We got an inch of snow last night. It will be gone today or tomorrow, tho.

33º now and cloudy.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9048664

Hello, this is old Rusty56 so here is my new usename is JuJu55 so Rusty gone to Dog Heaven on March 12 at 4:32 pm... So, right now I have JuJu she is now 2 yrs. old and hopeful she get along with me good... But she miss him and I really heartbreaking for Rusty so it been over a week from now...

Look like going to be rain today until Thursday March 22... Watch out for flooding coming down... Right now is not rain yet will be in afternoon...

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/joplin-mo/64801/weather-warnings/329440

As today, I went to Walmart around 9 am and look inside that power goes off so time got home and no power for 30 minutes... And final power back on but at Walmart is no power cause all the meat counter and frozens are down boy bet all the frozen foods and meats will be rot...They work on meat counter to fix the temp. right...

On weekend I mow the grass so taller back yard so it cool but it been hot little bit and got all done then I has to clean up the dead leaves and pack up the 6 trash bags so far and I just got all up again... Phew!

So, right now I'm resting feet up for now...

Flash New: From the newspaper The Globe New about weather will be flooding for next 3 days:

http://www.joplinglobe.com/topstories/x426445006/Flooding-forecast-for-Joplin-region

Take care and I stay home this time...

This message was edited Mar 19, 2012 11:25 AM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9048806

So sorry to hear about Rusty! That's so sad. Gentle hugs to you and JuJu...

And EEEEEK! on the weather. Hope you're going to be okay.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9049348

Rain, rain, rain all week long or at least til Thursday. High chances of flooding with up to 6 inches of rain possible in the next few days. Severe storm threat is gone for my area but further east still has it. Under flood watch.

Have daffodils blooming but don't think I'm gonna be able to get pics thanks to all the rain.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 19, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9049388

Im still sore but nothing long term I hope. Yes, car thing is a pain, atty, insurance, etc. Now I have until Saturday to find a replacement...whaddya think of this?
http://www.carsoup.com/myfox9/used-vehicles/detail/Car-Truck/Twin-Cities-Minnesota/Chevrolet/Caprice-Classic/1989/16387703/?returl=L3ZlaGljbGUvc3VtbWFyeS5hc3B4P3ZlaGljbGV0eXBlaWQ9MSZtYXJrZXRpZD0xJm1ha2VpZD0xNCZpbnZ0eXBlaWQ9MiZtYXhwcmljZT0yNTAwJnppcGNvZGU9NTUxMjgmbWlucHJpY2U9MCZtb2RlPW1ha2UmY29udD0x

Seriously, it may be the new Griswold Family Truckster...

Starting to rain - radar looks severe tonight. Not sure if we are on the edge or in the path but we are supposed to get rain for the next day or so.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9049586

Just woke me up that T-storm hit pretty hard around after 9 pm...
Pouring like heck flooding now...

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2012
3:23 AM

Post #9049741

Juju I'm so sorry to hear you lost Rusty...I know how hard that is. Thank goodness we have memories! Big Hug to you.

Minne glad you are okay...yes insurance is a big fat pain in the you know what.

My cat on the computer again...

Thumbnail by sunkissed

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2012
3:45 AM

Post #9049756

61°/80°/60°
Through 10am: Scattered showers and thunderstorms developing by 7am. Mostly cloudy with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the low 60s. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 45%.
Today: Showers and a few thunderstorms likely. A few storms may be severe. Winds SSE at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

I read everything, but need to keep moving.

It's been busy here. I get out and walk early, then I get right to weeding. I've spent all day outside this week and am loving it! I've never seen so much chickweed tho! It's just everywhere! Dandilions too, but that's every year. I've about got all the small beds done. Just have the three largest to do.

I've also got the asparagus beds cleaned off and weeded. Since we aren't getting much rain we've started to water it and the rhubarb.

I think we are done with the worst weather. I've been reading the ''Farmers Almanac'' predictions for March and April. I think we're going to slide into spring without a hard freeze. I hope so. We did get a little rain last night and if it's not muddy yet, I might try to plant peas, since they can come up in snow.

Ju,
I am so sorry you had to put Rusty down and I'm sure your heart is breaking. But it was for the best. He might have eventually snapped at a kid or a neighbor.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 20, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9049862

Nice rain last evening. Another chance today, we can use all we can get!
Storm damage 40 miles NE of us. Trees down.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9049931

It's Spring Equinox!

Last night another big T-storm shake like a drop big bomb on my bed! I jump...

More raining and flooding running down the street...

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #9050251

Finally - a nice slow rain! It started as a mist around Noon on Monday and turned into gentle showers (on and off) for the last 24 hours. With the rain, cooler temps (highs in the mid 60's, which is still unseasonably warm) and great growing weather! It's supposed to continue raining through Friday - yipee!

On a side note:

Last December I hung a wreath made of twigs gathered from my garden on my front door. After the holidays, I removed the magnolia and evergreen parts and left the twig wreath as a 'Winter' ornament.

Last week I noticed the moss base was disturbed and there were crumbs on the doorstep. Thinking the mail person or a guest had accidentally bumped the wreath, I cleaned up the mess and forgot about it. A few days later, more crumbs and a few oak leaves were on the step, so I decided a bird must be raiding the wreath for nesting materials.

Yesterday I opened the door to discover the nest is in my wreath! I quickly removed it from the door because the last thing I need is a defensive bird greeting the guests at my front door.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9050335

Oh, how neat!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9050635

Rain, break, rain, rain, break, and more rain. Same for tomorrow and Thursday and possibly even Friday. Not complaining much though. We need it!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2012
3:48 AM

Post #9051050

Bernie,
I'm glad all you got was the rain.

JuJu,
Smiling over the thunder. I haven't heard much of it yet.

Lea,
I envy your wonderful rain!
Huge smile over the bird. Can you hang the wreath in the back yard for the bird to continue the nest?

Pepper,
Rain is heading straight up and I'm in the path. I keep turning on the light to see if it's here yet. They are predicting .01 - .10 Seriously??? That's all???

I weeded all day yesterday and hung clothes out. It was time to get the flannel sheets off and get the cotton on. I still woke up hot, but not sweating.

The peach tree blossoms stasrted opening yesterday so if it freezes, there will be no peaches.

Most of my windows are washed...

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9051065

The weeping cherry tree in the border soaked up the rain and opened its flowers.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9051938

Temps only reaching low 60s now and still raining. It's been going in spurts so we get some breaks.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2012
10:01 PM

Post #9052279

We have low 70s coming during the next few days. Going to be able to get a lot done outside.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2012
10:38 PM

Post #9052291

Sunshine finally for the next few days, so I guess we are back to warm and muggy.

Finally over the crud. It's still hanging out in the family, so sure hope I don't get it again.

We have too much to do to be down sick.

Please pray Mom's house sells soon. We need a miracle.

Thanks!
Jeanne

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9052377

69°/69°/50°
Through 10am: Light rain. The rain will come to an end around 5am. Cloudy with temperatures steady in the mid 60s. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%.
Today: Remaining cloudy with thundershowers developing for the afternoon. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall around a quarter of an inch.

Oh Lea,
How pretty! Love the purple blooms all around! I'm waiting for my peach tree to open up more so I can get a picture. DH saw three honeybees on the blossoms yesterday!

Pepper,
Lucky you to get sme rain!

Celia,
Weeds or wanted?

Jeanne,
It's terrible to get any kind of sickness now. I hope you are over it for good! The family too!
Prayers going out for the sale of the house.

I planted the peas and sweet peas yesterday! I'm still thinking a row of radish would be good too. Dad brought me onions already. The Egyptian Walking Onions. Mine aren't quite ready to pull.

I took yesterday off from weeding already, and made a green tomato pie with the tomatoes I froze last year. YUM!

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

March 22, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9052977

We had our two days of perfect Hawaiian weather and now its back to grey skies, strong breezes and heavy passing showers. Rained all night, showers are short and sharp and temp is struggling to get above 65. Forecast is heavier showers for Friday and Saturday with chance of thunderstorms and localized flooding, maybe.

Remember the cat in the greenhouse, well another stray cat is visiting and used my newly planted seedtray of Amaryllis seeds as a ... no not what you were thinking but as a bed for the night. A little scratching at the dirt and then a nicely compacted tray by morning. Saw the cat again this morning dismounting from my potting area. Could be trouble.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9053097

Sounds like Spring is everywhere! 71º here now. I think I got a sunburn. LOL

That last pic of mine are weeds but I let them grow in the shade of the house. They don't spread very far and not into the sunnier parts. Not real sure what they are but any flower right now is a good flower. LOL Except for dandelions.

This is a warbler of some kind that seems to have moved into the area. We were waiting to see if it stayed and it has. Off to look it up so I can tell you which warbler.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9053269

Foggy this morning, sunny this afternoon, and now some heavy rain and winds. It will rain off and on thru tomorrow afternoon then should hopefully be done for a few days.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 22, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9053365

hazy today and sprinkles tonight.
Should be 68 & sunny tomorrow.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9053484

Another warm 83° day here in NW Pa. Trees, shrubs and flowers are blooming, maple sap collecting was done 2 weeks ago and everything is bursting out--all at least 3-4 weeks early! It'll be a sad year for farmers and gardeners when the big freeze comes!

Photo: Sap buckets and maples.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2012
3:04 AM

Post #9053593

56°/72°/50°
Partly to mostly cloudy with widely scattered showers or thunderstorms possible this afternoon. Warm. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%

Mike,
I hope you can keep her off your seedlings. If there is no fighting, you can be sure she is a she.

Celia,
I went to bed pink and got up tan :o)
My neighbor and I had the same weed last fall and someone on Dave's identified it as a ''Bog Willow.'' I transplanted it and hope it re-seeds in the new spot. I might have another starting in the original bed.
I wish I had that pretty little warbler. I'll bet it's song is pretty.

Early,
Neat photo!
I am so hoping this is the year spring just slides in with no hard freeze. It did one year and it was so nice!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9054470

Temps only reached low 60s for a high with a few sprinkles off and on. Sun finally came out later in the afternoon but has gone back behind the clouds now.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9054753

73º at the house today. Windy and overcast all day.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2012
2:04 AM

Post #9054813

Clear 49° RealFeel® 45°

Final it stop raining for 4 days and sure it real muddy on front yard!

It will be nice day today around 75...

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9054962

A nice, sunny start to the day. Crisp now (50 degrees at 8:30 am) but the high will be 77 by 4:00 pm. The bulbs love the rain and cool temps.

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9055097

Sunny and warm...switched on the AC. Beautiful outside! And I have to be inside going thru things at Mom's old house. Oh well.

At least it's not raining while we are trying to move things!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9055738

Nice and sunny. Never got a chance to check temps so have no clue on that. lol

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2012
4:04 AM

Post #9056003

52°/75°/49°
Areas of patchy fog early. Partly cloudy skies. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

Pepper,
Are you as sick of these wimpy sprinkles as I am?

Nice hawk Celia!!

Ju,
Almost laughing at the diffence in weather. A muddy front yard is not fun! How is JuJu doing? She getting over being lonely for Rusty?

Lea,
Oh, how beautiful, and perfect colors!

Jeanne,
You and a New Yorker, using the AC! Yes, not raining and it will be a job done soon.

Pepper,
Grinning! I'll bet you were out soaking up that warmth!

The boys go home later. Nothing is up in their pots with the seeds we planted last week. Maybe next weekend :o)

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9056102

Sunny 48°
RealFeel® 49°

Will be around Hi 82° RealFeel® 85°

Yeah on the front muddy yard that I drove to grass and try to back up on my driveway (cause if I park front and they try to steal my gas out of my van's tank but it lock cap) so that why I park back up and park that I can see my van's gas and they cant steal my gas again so it was 2 times so far and I know who did...

JuJu is really close to me all the time that I spoil her too much! lol...And yes she is miss Rusty so it will get over with it...

See the pic of front muddy tire track...
Yellow tulip and red with yellow strip tulip...

Thumbnail by JuJu55   Thumbnail by JuJu55   Thumbnail by JuJu55

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

March 25, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9056463

Juju, sorry to hear about Rusty!
Great pics everyone!
We've been having very warm weather here and the snow is almost gone.
Snowdrops and crocus are blooming.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti   Thumbnail by adinamiti   Thumbnail by adinamiti   Thumbnail by adinamiti   Thumbnail by adinamiti

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

March 25, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9056614

Enjoying everyone's comments and photos. All those daffodils, tulips and crocuses make me homesick for England but great to look at!!

Rain, rain and more rain, heavy at times. Since yesterday morning it has been pouring and still is. Duck are up to their fetlocks in water, chickens are wearing snorkels to find food, fishes have a rare opportunity to visit their friends in neighboring ponds. (Not joking, we have had cases of having to catch fish on the lawn when the ponds overflow) Unpaved road outside our gate is 2-3 inches deep in rushing water. Forecast is for less heavy rain today and then it will ramp up again tonite and tomorrow (an Hawaiian holiday of course - Prince Kuhio Day) and then back to more normal weather Tuesday or Wednesday. 14 inches so far this month, 39 inches so far this year.

Back in 2000 when we had flooding and got FEMA funds to unblock our stream we had our neighbors fish showing up on our lawn!

Winter weather warning up for mountain peaks due to sleet and snow.

4.9 Earthquake yesterday morning. About 30 miles from us and 27 miles deep. A short sharp jolt that visibly jumped the house up and down just once. I was in the smallest room of the house at the time. Almost a case of flush and run but the shaking stopped. I told my wife that it was definitely not the washing machine off balance.

Yes this really is Hawaii, just not the white sand beaches and palm trees - just a side note, Waikiki beach and Kailua Beach are covered in large dump trucks and backhoes at the moment as the sand is being replenished. Off Waikiki they pumped the sand back on shore from where it had been eroded into the ocean, stacked it in huge piles to drain and then were going to blow it through huge pipes to areas that needed the sand. What a joke. The fans were not strong enough so they are closing the beach for a few hours each morning and trucking the sand from one spot to another
Much better views on YouTube.

Thumbnail by microb

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9056732

Highs in the low 80s and sunshine. I went out and finished deadheading everything in the garden and burned my switchgrass so that it could grow. I need to see if I can whack it lower tomorrow when I get home. But then maybe I better not. lol. It's only about a foot high now compared to 2 feet after I cut it and before burning. I'm hoping to move it this year to and divide it but I don't know that I can. lol. It's huge!!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9056877

was reading MSNBC news and they have report on us weather.. record 6000 warmer than
normal temps for just march 2012 ???
whew..
i go to NOAA site and see what they are forcasting.. for us in utah.. warm/dry spring..followed
with a HOT summer..
we sure are hitting alot of above high temps across the country..
i see chicago hit high 80F the other day.. wow

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2012
10:02 PM

Post #9057033

I'm hearing the same thing for UT. Going to be a very hot Summer.

74º at our house today. At this rate, we'll hit 100º+ by June.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2012
2:31 AM

Post #9057115

60°/82° Sunny...and the same for the rest of the week.

I've been getting a lot done in the garden this past week, so nice to have my husband home now that he is retired, he has been cutting back lots of trees that I just can't do. He reminds me of Tim Allan when I ask him to cut a tree with his chain saw...he fires it right up...he loves to saw and chop wood. Ha ha.

I sure had a lot to catch up on...I saw the heavy line of rain on the radar this past week and thought about you all.

Ju Ju I remember visiting my friend in Springfield in June a few years ago and all the mud, their front yard had a huge mud puddle we had to dodge every time we got out of the truck. We don't have mud in FL. I think that is terrible people stealing your gas...Your tulips are very pretty...I love tulips, they don't like our humid warm weather here.

Wow Mike you really need a break from all that rain...and earthquakes...never a dull report from your end of the world. They do that sand replenishing here in FL too, and then another storm washes it all back out again.

Adina nice to know the snow is about gone, the flowers are so beautiful.

kwanjin, I like the photos of the Warbler and the hawk, we have lots of hawks here, but last spring one scooped down and took a baby Cardinal in our tree...that upset me.

tropicalnut, I hope everyone doesn't get 100 degree temps like last year...It was so strange to see the whole country getting temperatures hotter than down here. But things sure are looking like they are headed to a long hot summer.

Jeanne, hope you are feeling better, I saw all the rain hitting TX and wondered if you got any of it? Hope your Mom gets her house sold...usually sales pick up about this time...so maybe it will happen soon.

Leawood, love the cherry tree in bloom...so pretty and the tulips also...those birds will make a nest anywhere, we've had them make a nest under our motor home while camping for just a few days.

Billy sounds like you've been busy in the garden...hope you get some good rain for your garden soon. My onions didn't do so well this year...was just too warm of a winter I guess. But the green part is good. Scallions are doing fine. I would love to see your garden, you should photo it once it gets going.

Pepper...you sound like you're just enjoying spring. Glad you are getting some good rain also. Bet everything is nice and green now.

I sure do enjoy all the photos everyone is posting...the sap buckets are cool...I've never seen anything like that.

My peppers about ready to harvest... jalapeños, sweet banana, cow horn pimentos.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9058261

80s and sunny. Went out when I got home from work and tried to dig up and separate my switchgrass. That was a youtube moment. I'm too small to dig that sucker up!! LOL. I got a small trench around it and hacked in the middle a little but not much. I'll see if we can get it tomorrow if it doesn't storm. I really need to move it! lol
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9059023

we had typical march weather here..yesterday big winds came in..whipped things around
and cold front came in.. cooled off.. forcast is end of week back into high 60sF
my lettuce loves this weather..:)

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

March 27, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9059781

Got teased by the sun at dawn this morning but by 8am the cloud rolled in and for the fourth day in a row it was raining, more showers than rain today and not so heavy. Temp was about 56f.

Its an 18 mile drive from my house at 2200 ft to Hilo at sea level so on the way to work I can see the showers marching across the ocean towards the islands. Weatherman says blue skies and much drier but I think he is focused on the 1 million residents of Oahu vs the 50,000 residents of the windward side of the big island. We tend to get ignored over here in the rain forest. It can be raining here and sunny everywhere else. Actually it can be sunny three miles down slope from us and rain all day where we are. But we have forests glowing with moss covered trees and ferns.

All we can hope for is a little more sun tomorrow.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9059890

Another warm, mild day in Leawood. 80 degrees and a little rain - it's still 69 degrees at 10:30 pm. The dogwoods are opening today.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2012
12:11 AM

Post #9061379

Cloudy 66° RealFeel® 62°

Last Sunday, I go with my step-son for fishing spoonbill fish and I just watch grandkids at playground for while then heard about 9 yrs old drown in the river that's very sad to heard that so we was in Miama, OK... I just don't like spoonbill fish that taste like fish steak! So, I'm waiting for the White Bass sooner as the boat in shop for check it out...

Yesterday, I went to see my dr's appt and my follow-up that I m healthy! Oh more medicine for the allergy and vitamin D3 1000 i.u. !

Will be around 85 today...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9061877

53º and sunny. It's lovely out there. Going back out!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9062483

We actually had a few beatiful days in between and now we have rain again for the next three days...then a few sunny, then a cold front for two days is forecasted...low 49 so I guess I will leave the plants in the makeshift GH another week.

We took a few days off from working over at Mom's house. We have made some progress. Have to decide whether to try to put it on the market or go with an investor for a faster transaction. It needs sooooooo much work done that it is appraised at far below market value, and would be one of the lowest in the neighborhood at this time, but we can't wait long for it to sell. It's hard to know what to do. We still have stuff to clear out.

Hope every one is feeling better these days!

Jeanne
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9062509

Storms in forming in Kansas, last I heard could hit here but most likely north of us. Highs in the low 80s and sunny all day.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

March 29, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9062533

Wonderful Hawaiian Weather has returned and should last a few days. Blue skies, white fluffy clouds, temp about 75f. Now we just this to last so the ground dries out.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9063181

50°/67°/41°
A shower or two around the area early, then partly cloudy during the afternoon. Winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%

JuJu,
I hate gas thieves!
Love the tulips!

Mike,
You and Hawaii are interesting reads too :o)
Love the beach story!

Sherri,
It is wonderful to have the husbands home! Love that he's a "Tim Allen!"
YUM on the peppers!

Pepper,
ROTFL&L&L because I know how tough those grasses are to dig up!!! You always make me smile!

JuJu,
Very very sad about the kid drowning. We talk to our grandkids about getting close to the edge of a pond. I couldn't handle losing one of them.

Jeanne,
We have houses that took a year to sell in our little town, but they finally did.

My neighbor asked me over after dinner to walk her yard and look at her flowers. She's been busy getting her house ready for the "Tour of Houses" they asked her to be in. I love her yard. It's one whole block, and they bought another block behind them that was just the old school yard. She plants everything I love, so it's a real treat to water for her when she is gone :o)

I ''sat'' at DD's yesterday, literally, in the large round playpen she has. GD scoots all over and GS rolls. They are so much fun to be with.

Yesterday, I sowed all my tomatoes, peppers, cabbages and brussels sprouts in the house. Peas are planted outside and we got 6/10'' of rain last night. Woo Hoo! Next, I'll go thru my flower seeds and see what else to start in the house.

Still weeding too. Took all afternoon to do one small bed because the chickweed wants to hang on.

Anyway, it's wonderful to be outside working!!

This was my garden last year. Asparagus is planted in the stone bed, which was the porch foundation at the house I grew up in.

Thumbnail by billyporter   Thumbnail by billyporter   Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9063182

And, the house I grew up in :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9064013

45°/69°/54°
Sun and clouds mixed. Winds SE at 10 to 20 mph.

Hi, me again, LOL!

It's chilly but will be warming up before it gets acold again. It's a good day to hang clothes. DH already hand pumped 10 gallons of water to add to the washer. (Saving a little wear and tear on the house pump.) He'll pump 10 more for the rinse. Sun isn't up yet, but it's light and I need to get a walk in before the day starts.

We have a great neighbor, so this is a good story. She burned papers early and left for work. The wind came up and blew her barrel over. I saw white smoke blowing from the east. DH looked out and said, our grapes are on fire. He got the fire out before there was any damage.

Beautiful peach blooms!

Thumbnail by billyporter   Thumbnail by billyporter

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9064939

Oh no! I'm so glad he got the fire out before there was much damage.

It was really nice today, but again, I was inside going thru the garage. We made considerable progress.

Billy, that's my problem, I can't have it sit on the market that long. Most houses in our neighborhood sell within six mos, and even then, that is a long time. I may give it a try for a few mos and if it doesn't sell, then call the Investors. They pay so little...It's hard to know what to do.

Whatever we do it has to be pretty well cleaned out, so that is what we are doing. It's just a slow process with most of us senior citizens, and so much crud going around. Both kids and grandkids have had the crud as well.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Jeanne
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9065962

Hot and humid both here and down in Tyler, TX. We took a trip down there to suprise family. It was very much worth the drive!! We did miss one turn so instead of taking 69 east we ended up taking 75 south til we realized what we had done. Fixed that mistake in Sherman by taking 11 hwy back east. Coming home was much faster. lol. Been home a bit over an hour. Back to work tomorrow!!

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

April 2, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9067574

The nice Hawaiian weather continues, but now its hot and humid with light southeast winds bringing humidity up from the tropics. May be like this for about 1 week. At least its reasonably dry. Night showers are OK.
Waiting for a guy to deliver 2 cubic yards of potting soil for $80. Says it is one year old organic mix of soil, cow and goat manure, cinder and lots of worms. If it is for real it works out at about $3 a bag compared to $15 for Miraclegrow potting soil at Home Depot. Found it on Craigslist so we shall see.
My first Dahlia bloomed earlier this week. One out of six purchased at Walmart. Fifty Gladiolus bulbs have started to show growth. Three to a two gallon pot. Don't see Dahlias or Gladiolus in Hawaii so this may be an exercise futility just for fun.

Thumbnail by microb

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2012
4:10 AM

Post #9067774

54°/76°/47°
Some sun this morning with increasing clouds this afternoon. Warm. W winds shifting to N at 10 to 20 mph.

Jeanne,
I don't know when selling a house has ever been easy or without a lot of stress. I hope someone wants it soon.

Pepper,
Awesome suprise visit!! Grinning over the wrong turn. Happens to everyone :o)

Mike,
If my weather wasn't so nice I'd be jealous. Normally we're chilly thru March and April, with the exception of being able to fly a kite a couple days in March. This year it's been warm and windy daily.
Wow! Lucky you to find such a good mix of potting soil. I hope it's all he says!
That is so cool to grow something completely different! Have you always lived in Hawaii?
BEAUTIFUL Dahlia!!!

Saturday night we heard a HUGE boom at 8:30 pm. We went outside to look around. Two neighbors were out also. One a first responder. The next day we found out a house in the country, in another town exploded, a little over 15 miles away as the crow flies. No one was home and rumors are it was a meth house. It rattled our windows! I was looking here, to make sure everyone's house was ok and there was lightning way north of us, but I sat outside for a half hour and it never made a sound. We thought it might have been a stray bolt, but I knew it wasn't.

With the exceptional weather I've been outside all day. My arms are tan and even tho I had sunscreen on yesterday, my shoulders got a bit red. Good news is, all the dandelions gone from some of my flower beds and I've mowed the whole yard :o)

The rhubarb is close to being ready to pick. I got a tub out of the freezer and made a rhubarb custard pie yesterday. We each had a piece and then a second. Half a pie gone in minutes, LOL!

My small intermediate iris are starting to bloom. I can't believe the weather we are having!!

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9068152

Time for a new forum - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1250342/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America