Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: TEA ROOM # 105

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 213, Views: 1,168
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 1, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9026069

Here we are moved again. I thought we might sit out and enjoy the Autumn color as the seasons change on us.
I'm running off again this morning a sits hubbys turn for blood tests today.
We will pop over to Hamilton again and have a bit of lunch.
The weather is lovely after a windy and cold day yesterday.
I will be bringing home more potting mix to pot up a few more seedlings. I have quite a few bromeliad pups to pot up as well. Better move myself .
Have a lovely day everyone
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 1, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9026089

Did it again, forgot the signpost..
We came from here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1241780/

Jean
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 1, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9026095

Good morning everyone. Still cool here. We haven't had anymore rain but the whole garden is lovely and wet. I had to go around yesterday and empty the saucers under a lot of pots. The whole pots were full of water and just sitting there. My tanks are half full now so that's great. March already, but hopefully some nicer weather for a lot of people. At least if we get rain the threat of fires is less. The fruit blockies didn't want the rain yet as they're mid way through the grape harvest, if the weather stays cool they will be okay, no mould. John won't be here this weekend now, he has decided to wait for the next weekend , which is a long weekend here, and then he can have 3 days with us. The markets are on again this weekend . I hope the weather stays fine for them. Be back later. Colleen

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9026106

Lovely autumn colors Jean. Have a nice lunch and day out.

So nice to hear you are having cooler temps and getting some much needed rain, Colleen...bravo for the tanks...Have a good time at the markets.

Hope you all have a pleasant productive weekend with nice, cool sunny weather.

A pretty to celebrate the day..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-dYNttdgl0

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 1, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9026127

Good morning. Just popped in to check out the new Thread and say hello. But can't stay and chat this morning as I have another hospital appointment. This one generally runs about on time so shouldn't be too long a day.

Hope everyone has a lovely day.
Karen

The flowers of the Norfolk Is. Hibiscus are finished now, but one or two seeds have taken. I need to get them out before they get too good a hold.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 1, 2012
9:48 PM

Post #9026621

What beautiful autumn colours in the tea garden...it will be a pleasure to have a cuppa there on a beautiful day...
It's terribly windy here, not like autumn at all...phooey.

Karen, thanks for your birthday wishes for my mother, she had a nice day...
Pretty when they are in flower, those Norfolk is. hibiscus...and so tough...

Glad to hear that your tanks are filling up, Colleen...hope the rain stays away for your "Blockies" 'till the harvest is all in...the grapes on my mother's vine are very sweet this year.
Good year for my wine collecting...I am so slow drinking it now, that it will probably be in my will.

I don't remember it chookie, but I will have seen it on the catalogue...I will make sure that I see your work next Feb.

Hopefully it will be a windless day tomorrow...
Have a great weekend wherever you are.
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

March 2, 2012
1:19 AM

Post #9026657

Hello all, a very busy[work] week for me and im ''stuffed''-Anthony
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

March 2, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9027152

Hello all. Still too early to see what kind of day it will be, but there are a few showers but nothing like the poor folk down south are getting. Hope everyone is okay.

Birds are chorusing outside..no matter what time I go to bed, I'm up early. I seem to get by on about five hours sleep. Must be all those nanosecond cat naps! The turkeys are already up and about as well. This is such a wonderful time of day and I would feel really deprived if I missed it. Lovely fresh cool(ish) breeze..so much happening with the birds. I can hear a flock of some type of parrot in the tree tops.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 2, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9027208

Morning everyone.
Looks like the same as yesterday here, only we might get rain as well.
I usually listen to The Garden Clinic which is a Sydney gardening program relayed thru MTR, but this morning no MTR...it was rating very poorly and it only lasted just over a year.
So I had to turn on the computer and get it thru 2GB...

No bird song here this morning, Kat...they are all hanging on for dear life or they will end up in the bay.
It's a very blustery wind from the south.

Put your feet up, Anthony...the plants can look after themselves this weekend.
I'll be lucky if I've got a leaf left...after the wind shreds everything.
One of my Liliums has produced seeds, so I have planted those, boy, don't they have lots of seeds.

Have a good day everyone.
Dianne
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 2, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9027241

Good morning everyone. Still overcast here and we did have about half a cup of sprinkles last night. Not enough to wet the path.
Still a bit windy and most likely will get windier as the morning goes on.
Not too cold yet, but I havent been right outside in the wind yet.

My poor brugs are so tired after the wind bashing them around. A couple tipped over but as they have a few roots in the ground, most stood upright.
Lots of leaves & twigs everywhere from the b** gum trees.
Hubby had them before I came so we are stuck with them..

Anthony, have a nice relaxed weekend . You need the rest to be ready for your shows.

yes Dianne, I would love to have a yard full of those lovely autumn trees. Very pretty .

Karen, I hope your hospital trip goes well for you. Annoying when you have to do things twice.
Love the hibiscus.

Moon, how are things over your way ? I see more tornado damage. terrible things they are.
keep safe.

Charleen, no tornados anywhere in your area either, I hope. Mother Nature is testing us all with her savage weather.
No cookies for Charley today. he is looking fat, carrots instead.

Teresa, I bet you are enjoying all the fun with Sugar. How is Copper getting on with her ?
Hes probably feeling like you after having her run around him all the time. ...lol

Kat, lovely to wake up to birdsong in the morning. Hope you are keeping dry.

Chrissy, hope you are not washed away.
I feel for all those getting so much water and I hope they all get a respite soon. Its heartbreaking to see homes so damaged.

Colleen, lucky you getting so much rain for those tanks . Hope you havent had too much of the wind.

Chookie, enjoy that lovely soil. Mine is clay with rocks.
at the moment the soil is like a rock. If I wanted to dig, I may break the shovel.

I'm off to check all the plants after the wind and see what I can move around before the next lot of wind.

Enjoy the weekend. Stay dry & safe.
Heres something nice for morning tea. ..One of my favorites... Chocolate Mud Cake..
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 2, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9027426

Good morning. A bit grey here, but we had some nice rain overnight. Plants look very happy this morning.

Kat, I love the dawn chorus with all the birds making their way out to face the day. Later in the day all I hear is the crows, and sometimes the mickey birds. But mornings are great. Parrots that go over are corellas, white cockatoos, rainbow lories, speckled lories, pale head rosellas, and galahs.

Jean, yesterdays appointment was a different one. Next Friday is the replacement one with the bone doctor. I've decided I'm only going for a second opinion and management advice, as I have no intention of having surgery, and its too late for cortisone treatment.

Twisted my knee on the bus, it popped out then straight back in, but if I hadn't already been over the seat I'd have fallen. Really hurt. Swollen this morning but not too bad.

Dianne, nice petunias there. Hope the wind doesn't play havoc with your gardens. With the big trees around here we get a lot of twigs blown down so its always a bit of a clean up after winds and storms. Glad your mum had a nice day.

Anthony, hope work eases up some next week. I don't know where I ever found time to work. I guess when you are younger you can fit more in a day. And with 2 kids too. Was I ever that energetic?

Speaking of birds, we have a few kookaburras around, but the mickey birds give them a dreadful time. They seem to take it all in their stride though.

Hello across the ocean there. I hope the season is treating you gently. I hear on the news there have been really bad tornados and damages, even deaths, have occurred. Hope none of you are in their path.

Have a great day today, everyone. Be safe, where ever you are.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2012 4:56 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 2, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9027795

See what doing naked rain dances can do ??????

ITS RAINING...

Well not as much yet as I want, but enough to make the plants sing... Oh Happy Day...

Now if it will only keep going , the plants will all grow tall & green again.

I have buckets and plastic bins all over the place to catch some for the plants in greenhouses and on the veranda.

I think I may just go out and enjoy it .
Jean

(ps, I wasnt really naked as I didnt want to scare the plants )

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 2, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9027822

Those Cannas are beautiful, Jean,
Don't tell fibs, we know that it was you out there dancing...
Thank goodness you did...it's lovely rain and the wind has gone...

Anything in my garden with large leaves is now leafless, the Brugs are shredded.
The little petunias are fine, thanks Karen...anything low growing wasn't affected...
Sorry about your poor knee...they can be very troublesome...my husband is having a replacement in
April...
It feels like winter, so I think I will buy a roasted chicken for tonight...nice and easy...
It's pouring now...
Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 2, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9027826

Still
raining...
raining...
raining...
raining...

Oh joy... ☂ ☂ ☂

Jean
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

March 2, 2012
11:53 PM

Post #9027861

lol - wish I could send you ours... been windy & wet all day.
Good thing I was warm & dry in the shop...
not to mention working for time & a half!
I love my job :)
Dogs are disgruntled as no walkies for them, they don't want to go out in it any more than I do but a day cooped up makes them stir crazy.
fingers crossed that it is ok in the morning for training, will give the devious duo a good run there.

Goodness knows when the garden will get any attention, maybe next Sat. when I am rostered off.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 3, 2012
1:49 AM

Post #9027878

Aw, Teresa, I love the babies, so beautiful. Hope they are settled and sleeping like that when they should be. They look so sweet and innocent.

I see the death toll from the tornadoes in the US has increased. Must have been horrifying for those people involved
We had a bit of rain here on and off all day. Barry and I went to Mt. Cotton park for a relaxing walk, which did my knee so much good. Also saw an open garden, but not much to rave about. We went to this one last year and it hasn't changed much, but the man of the house does his own form of sculpture, and this is his latest. Not sure what its made of as I didn't read the brochure on it.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

March 3, 2012
2:58 AM

Post #9027889

NO rest for the wicked[as my gramma used to say]. grocery shopped,.,.Finished cleaning and refitting the heater [much to sootys love,] as it is now burning and very cosy.,.,.,.sewed another 100 or so seed liliums[hopefully they are like nothing ever seen in australia].,,Fixed a troublesome wheel on one of the galah cages,.,.Travelled out to Glenbrook and had a yack to Rod,.picked up cocky,.,.had a beer,.,,had another beer-Anthony
And it has just started raining here!!!!!- you beauty !!!!!

This message was edited Mar 3, 2012 5:59 PM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9027972

So happy you all are getting some rain.

Here is a little oddity I ran across

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-02/warning-issued-over-giant-pine-cones/3864430
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 3, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9028492

Good morning everyone. Still some light rain here. The garden looks so much greener even after such a small lot. All the dust washed off makes a difference.
The plants are all standing up straight and looking to the sky.
I did nothing yesterday except water the orchids in the covered shadehouse. I save rainwater for them from the gutters on the old shed down the back. They like a change from tap water.
Not so cold this morning . Hubby says more hot weather maybe next week .
I can hear the weeds starting to rumble underground.

Its not a nice thing to have , but with all the dry weather, there is a huge amount of native bush rats and common grey rats.
Apparently they are all over the whole district. Now I know what was eating all the snail pellets. We have plenty of rat bait blocks out now .
The shops were running out with so many people wanting the stuff. .
The darn little b*** can eat whole blocks in an hour or so..
They have to be controlled with baits or we would be over run . Luckily they seem to stay outside in the sheds and shadehouses.
ugh...

Anthony, sounds like you are enjoying the weekend. With all those liliums you will need a map to find yourself. I moved mine just inside the shed and sad to say, some have been nibbled by the darn rats.
Hopefully most will still grow.

Teresa, those babies are so cute and couldnt you just hug them to bits .. Sounds like Copper & Sugar have you well trained to take them out when they want..

Moon, that was an interesting little link. When I used to live in the town of Bright, up in our mountains in the north of the state, those trees were planted along one of the avenues in the middle of town. I have seen car roofs with large dents from them falling. The council used to remove the cones where possible or cordon off the area.

Karen, nice to see you getting about much better now. A nice walk does noone any harm , does it ?
Like the sculpture.

Dianne, hubby said if I danced naked outside, I'd scare everything for miles. He thought it very funny, to picture me + wrinkles , jumping about madly .
I hope your plants a re enjoying the rain. My brugs have shredded leaves too but most of them had smaller growth after the episode of mites, so dont look as bad.

Colleen, you must have full water tanks by now. Hope your garden is enjoying it all too.

Hello to everyone else popping in for a cuppa.
I ma off to see what I can do outside. Maybe do some potting up of the bromeliad pups I want to sell at the market . I can do that in the greenhouse so wont stop any rain from getting on the garden..lol

Try this for morning tea...a very decadent Chocolate Cake..

Have a happy day whether you are wet or dry.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 3, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9028544

Good morning everyone. We have had more RAIN. Boy what a shower we had at about 11pm last night. The garden is lapping it up [so are the weeds, mind you] The tanks are getting fuller, not full yet though Jean. I have a lovely Suavelons X Aztec Gold out of Brian's. It's shorter than AG but a beautiful yellow. Will take a pic later if it hasn't been ruined by last night's rain. Haven't been outside this morning as yet. Teresa those little babes are so beautiful. Karen I'm pleased that you could enjoy your walk and that your knee feels much better. Say G'Day to my sister for me and let her know that Wendy is planning another sale next weekend. She will be amazed at the variety of broms if she gets to see them. We're going to the markets now so will get going. Colleen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9028546

Charley got his feet trimmed. Here is John his farrier. Charley had a tangle in a beautiful tail. got it out and Braided. He was such a good boy and held still while I combed it out. Looked like a piece of hay had gotten into the tail.
Everyone got their manes cropped and Fabric sheets to chanse off bugs. After the rain last night, Look all muddy this afternoon. But they looked and smelled good for a while. they love to get groomed...
The Twins are so beautiful.
sorry I don't know how I did that , Wonder how I delete one. First one was supposed to be Charley and John.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2012 5:33 PM

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 3, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9028658

Charleen, I can just hear him saying.."oh well a guy has to look good for the boss"...lol

I bet he felt much better after a mud roll though.

Sun is out here now. I can hear the weeds getting ready to jump up out of the ground at me ..
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 3, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9028670

Talking of watermelon's...here's mine...
I was so chuffed when I tapped it the other day and heard that hollow sound...
We cut it before I took the pic so we had to put it back together...
It's really sweet, so my first watermelon to grow is a success...yippee.
I only had three, I stopped the vine because I thought that any more mightn't ripen in time.
Next year, I will buy the seed in November...these were growing plants that were being thrown out.

Like the sound of the new yellow Brug, Colleen...looking forward to pics.
Those babies are gorgeous, Teresa...what a lovely pic.

I've got a bad feeling that 2012 isn't going to be very different from 2011...
Floods here again and terrible damage and deaths in the US from the cyclones...
Not looking good.

Though I just found a teddy bear bee, the blue banded one, in my garden...getting in amongst the blue salvia.
Lovely to see him.
Jean, can I send you some cuttings of Salvias?

Keep well everyone...
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 3, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9028938

Dianne, that looks yummy! Congrats on your first watermelon success.

Colleen, you didn't tell me your sister's name is the same as mine, and her husband's name is the same as my partners. Surreal. Lovely people. Your mum is knitting a beautiful child's cardigan at the moment. Gorgeous. So many birds there too. Lovely place.

We got the magazines and books delivered, I think there were 9 beer cartons full. Added a box of laces, and another of fabric. Still have 3 more shelves of fabric to go through yet. What stumps me is that it has barely made a dent in the back room. How did I ever get so much stuff?

Went over to Bunnings and got some weed killer and some gravel. Now I can move on with my project, even if just one more step. It all counts. Once the weeds are gone I can do the small area of paving for the bins, and fill in a small area with pebbles, and it should all look good. I think. Can't believe what I've spent on such a tiny area so far, and still need to spend to get it done.

Since the bull dozers went through (must be nearly 2 years ago now) and then me getting sick, I didn't have the heart to redo anything. All those years of work destroyed, it really blew me away. But slowly I am starting to tackle the problems left and with Barry's help, the yard is starting to look better already. Who knows, I might end up with something really nice in time.

Karen
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

March 3, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9029000

well Sugar out did herself this morning, the phone rang for Baz & the sound got her all excited.
She has learned that most doors here open if she jumps at them & hits with her front paws just below the handle.
So she ran at the laundry door & did just that...
except the laundry door is a slider - and she knocked it completely off the rail!
Luckily Baz was able to get it back in place.
Right now Copper is monstering her for a change, normally she tries to get him to play & he isn't interested but he must be feeling frisky.
Sugar of course is loving it & I can see her being up for 10 rounds more after he is ready to throw in the towel.
Oh well that's 5 minutes I don't have to watch her like a hawk...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 3, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #9029030

Send me a piece of that watermelon please, Dianne. It looks yummy.
I remember growing my first one too.

Karen, you wont know yourself when you finish your clearing out. Think of all the room you will have to fill up again...lol

Teresa, puppies are worse than little kids when they get up to mischief. Lucky the door didnt break .

Been sunny here all afternoon so I was able to get a bit of potting done. Going to pack things away now and rest.
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 4, 2012
12:04 AM

Post #9029067

Hi everyone. Karen, The lady knitting was my sister Pat, and Karren is my niece and Barry my nephew. I rang her the afternoon and she was so excited to get given all those things. Thank you very much. One man's rubbish is another man's treasures. She was sitting at the table rolling lace onto bits of cardboard. She reckons she's a collector. lol Thank you again Karen. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 4, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9029674

Good morning everyone. Quite mild here at the moment. No wind and a few light showers in the night.

I was able to sit out in the greenhouse yesterday and pot up the large brom pups . Today I will have a bit of a cleanup of old leaves on the other broms.
Nice to see so many new leaves coming so quickly on my brugs too.
A drop of rain makes a lot of difference.

Karen, lovely to see you getting around so much easier.
You were lucky to find a home for all your old things with Colleens sister.
Nice to meet new people too.

Anthony, I hope you are well rested after the weekend and ready to tackle anything.
Hope the cats and Cocky are doing okay too.

Dianne, I see visions of a yard of watermelons climbing around brugs in your future...lol.
They are tasty little things and nicer than the large ones , I think.

Teresa, I hope no more doors have gone flying off their tracks there.
Sugar will be using the door handle in no time .
They certainly keep you on your toes..

Colleen, nice to see that Brians brugs are blooming for you. You must have fun getting around the brugs and the cacti.

Chrissy, I hope you finally get some dry weather soon or we will lose you in the swamp. You may have to sit up in a brug so we can see you.

Charleen & Moon, our sympathies for all those families who have lost loved ones in the tornadoes over there. It is devastating for communities to lose so many .
I do hope you both are not in harms way.

I am off to see what needs to be done around the place today.
I have things to get packed for posting so will see what I have in the kitchen for you all before I go.

Try a slice of this Chocolate and Cream Cake.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 4, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9029699

Goodness Jean I came straight in after you and half the CREAM cake is gone already. Good morning everyone. It looks like rain out there again. We can still take a lot more here so keep sending it HUGHY. I have lots of new brom pups coming too Jean but will leave them to get well established before I take them off. It's a real thrill when a new brug flowers. I have a Bruce's Pink that is nearly out. I haven't seen him in the flesh as yet. Clementine is flowering again but she did loose a lot of buds in the heat so not many flowers this time. I look at those tall sticks everyday and think that I'll lop them off but haven't taken the plunge like Dianne yet. Still looking though. My paint brush lily is poking it's tongue out and the winter hippies are growing nicely. Must get a Plumbago that has died out and I'm going to plant sweet peas along the fence where it was. That should be a nice show if I can get them to grow. Time to get the boys ready. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 4, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9029769

Hi all. Oh wet wet wet, and look what's coming. Would hate to be around Maleny today, looking at the radar. I hope it drizzles out of existence before it reaches Brisbane. We don't need that much rain.

Colleen, sorry about mixing up the relationships there. Pat did say Karen was her daughter. My head doesn't get round things at times. Too many senior moments these days. I am so pleased Pat was glad to get the books and things. Yes, she was excited about the lace. There are some really gorgeous laces in that box, some modern, some that look antique and vintage. I feel sad that I can't do the sewing I used to do, but my eyes wouldn't take it. Better its gone to a good home.

Don't think we'll be doing much in this weather. I may do a bit of potting later, but if more rains are coming, maybe not.

Hope everyone is having better weather.
Karen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 4, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9029790

Good morning everyone, well we have sun, but it's still boggy and wet out there.
I hope everyone survived their weekend ok.

I am going to try and get out there today, venture through the long grass and mud to see what's what.
Back later, if you don't hear from me send a dingy will you :-)
Enjoy the day everyone.

chrissy (from the swamp)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9029848

Things are fine here Jean, But I know some nasty storms swept through around Charleen...haven't seen her around today...a bit worried for her.

Hope you all have a fine Monday

Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 4, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9029862

Moon, glad you are okay there.

Charleen, if you are looking in , hang onto Charley in any storm. Nothing will move him .

Chrissy, be very careful out there, you know crocs and giant snakes live in swamps..

Colleen, maybe Brian heard us mention his name, so came for the cream cake.

keep safe everyone..
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 4, 2012
9:58 PM

Post #9030243

Dreadful flood scenes on the news...sunshine coast is really copping it now...
Charleen, our thoughts are with you, hopefully it's just your internet connection that's keeping you away.
Good thing that the storms have missed you, Moon...keep safe.

Karen, that was so nice of you to give away all of those things...it's great when you know that they have found a good home...

Believe me Colleen, once you see how quickly they respond to a good chop, you won't hesitate...and you'll have big bushy Brugs...
Very glad to know Ivoire is doing well.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 5, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9030553

Computers are a blessing and a pain.
We got the sun shinning and the wind is howling. We got rain the other day but no tonadoe here but went north of us. There was several lives taken. Not like the Mid-west , my heart and prayers go to all those poor folks. It is heart-breaking.
Charley got his feet trimmed last Friday. I always have them tied and waiting for my farrier. I learned a long time ago to quit chasing. Now there is no problems to get them to come to the fence. Cookies, Jean are my secret weapon. I tried to write last night but it went into cyber space.
Here is my Farrier, John , he trims for natural balance, no shoes on these babies and if you look you will see the tangle in Charleys tail. John told me how to get it out. So while he was working on the donkey kids, I got the tangle out and braided Charley's tail.
Charley is such a good boy, he loves being pampered. I curried the four of them and also put the fabric sofener strips on to keep bugs away.
Gave them a haircut too...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9030622

So glad you are safe Charleen...radar just doesn't give a good picture of where things are actually. Charlie and the long ears look smart and sassy for the start of Spring...you are such a good Mule Mama...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 5, 2012

Post #9031048

Good morning everyone. Still overcast here but no further rain. Yesterday was not too cold at all, so I managed to get a bit done around the place.

Charleen, great to know you are not in harms way at all.
Dont those furry friends of yours look so cute ? Very well behaved.

Moon , I hope you are enjoying some nice spring weather for your garden.

Dianne, my brug babies are enjoying the cool an dthey loved the rain.
I see no sign of mites , but they may return when the heat does.

Karen hope all is well with you up there.

Teresa, hopefully no more doors jumping off their tracks .

Anthony, how are things down there ?
I see you knee deep in seeds. & bulbs

Chrissy. hope your mud is starting to dry a bit so you can see your plants. I see more rain is forecast. You may have to get a boat to get around your garden.

Hello to anyone else popping in for a cuppa.

I am off to chop a few things back while its cool .
Heres something tasty for morning tea... Banana Muffins
Happy day and stay safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 5, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9031120

Charleen, you have my farrier's twin brother...I almost burst out laughing when I saw the pic...
I must get a pic of Steve, next time Mick's feet get trimmed...

Jean, you aren't kidding about those Iochromas...mine was about a foot tall last year, now it's 6' x 6'.
My "Eyes for you" rose has a bud about to open...can't wait..I thought that they wouldn't send it until winter, but it arrived last week, good size bush.

Back later...have a good day all.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 5, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9031364

Ha Ha ..Dianne, wait until it gets 10'x 10' and you get lost under it.
.Not sure when you cut them back, but I just chop it anytime it hangs over my head.
It tends to want to grow across the path.
I think , by looking at mine, most of the flowering seems to be at the tips of the growth so you may lose a few flowers but gain more as it grows. The red is not so bad, A lot slower growing.
Just been out to check the garden and all the white I. australe alba and the hybrid seedlings are only around 5' at the moment. No rain until now which slowed them down as they never get watered.
pic 1 is the orphan I cyanea I bought a while back. It is much narrower and darker than my giant purple I grandiflora ( pic 2 , taken this time last year after some chopping )
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 5, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9031440

I leave mine fall over because it is full of fruit, I wonder how that works, the coral one is slower and the critters love the leaves but perhaps it's the critters that spread the pollen around unless they self pollinate.
Mine turns a deeper more smoky purple in the warmer weather and the Coral colour deepens also.
I know it's awful of me, but to see them popping up in the shops where every gardener can afford them, makes me so happy, I don't forget being told it would cost me over 200.00 for four tiny plants plus about 70.00 for freight, not only that, but they were very rude in their response to my enquiry, sooooooooo :-) (some joint down Melbourne way) politeness costs nothing.

Our dear ladies from over the pond ...please stay safe. I am so glad you find such happiness with your gardens and long ears.
I am afraid a large portion of the eastern part of Australia is in a fair bit of trouble. Going under the water again. :( at least there will be fewer people lose their lives (plenty of warning this time) but so many homes will be ruined, someone I care for very much has lost their garden twice already and looks like it will happen again.

Teresa puppies are just adorable but they can be very exhausting, you know like ripping up your shoes and tearing new clothes off the line. I hope Sugar is being well behaved *wink* :)

Karen what a lovely thing to do, I hope karma gives you heaps of all things great in return for your generosity. :-)

off to the shower ...been out in waist high grass, mud and spider webs.

This message was edited Mar 6, 2012 12:59 PM
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 5, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9031592

I can't believe it. I typed replies to everyone here from my last post, and some demon in me clicked "close" and I lost the lot. Well, just know I have read everyone's mail and am glad our US friends are OK. Also glad we didn't have to send out the dingy to rescue Chrissy too.

Very noisy here as the council is doing its yearly tree trim along the footpaths. Next door has a magnificent Leopard Tree that has a hair cut every year to keep it away from the power lines. They totally mutilate the poor tree, but each year it grows back looking better than ever till they do it again. The branch chompers are making all the main noise. My birds hate it and tend to stress out until they move on. I guess my trees will be next, though I haven't really looked to see if they are growing into the power lines this year. With all the rain and all the new growth, I would be surprised if they hadn't.

This was looking out my front door yesterday evening after the rain. Everything had this weird colour to it, even the road. Nice though.

Have a great day everyone.
Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 5, 2012
10:59 PM

Post #9031740

No rain today !!!! all day so far ...such a change, I have been feeling so grey and Gothic in this Summer Darkness. can't imagine living in a climate where the Sun is missing most of the time. Better keep that Dingy handy, you never know where this Big Wet will strike next ! poor Wagga Wagga is in trouble and many other places too, I can't imagine what the shortage of crops and food in general will do in the next year or two to the grocery budget. I always thought no worries I will grow my food, but the veggies drowned this year. So we all might be living on imported noodles or Italian baked beans for the next little while.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

March 6, 2012
1:27 AM

Post #9031774

stunning day here, up to 28C according to the car...
took the wee weasel to the dog park, it is huge, split into several fenced areas of varying sizes.
One has access to the river & Sugar ran around with the other dogs & ran in the shallows until she spotted a lab chasing a ball into the deeper water...
she is not much of a swimmer, much splashing & thrashing of front legs but she was very enthusiastic :)

we are supposed to have a couple of manky old wet & windy days now, just hope it clears up by the weekend.
I have Saturday off & want to get into the garden to prune back the roses that are going wild & sort out the weeds that are laughing at me.

australia1234
glenwood
Australia

March 6, 2012
4:20 AM

Post #9031828

Hi new here still finding my way around, Im looking for mirabilis seeds,I have the dark pink but im looking for all the other colors

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9031996

Chrissy, you are lacking in the natural Vitamins that the suns giving you. I'd be sad too.
Would love to see a picture of your Farrier and Mick. This is a good fella. He answers all my equine questions.
I need to get a pic of my fig bushes when the longears get finished with them. They leave them alone until the winter sets in then they start their eating. they are a hungry bunch.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 6, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9032301

Good morning world. Have woken up to this big bright light in the sky. It's the SUN! Feel like singing, Oh what a beautiful morning...

If it stays sunny, it means I have to move some plants back or they may get burned. Others I can move out as I'd put them under cover to let them get some relief from being drenched. But showers are still on the menu, so maybe I'll just leave things alone.

Hope everyone has a lovely day, that the bad weather clears away and lets us all get back to "normal".

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 6, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9032321

Good morning everyone. Looks like being a nice day as the sun is out. Yesterday was a bit cool at times but good for working outside. There was one shower of rain then nothing else.
I have a greenhouse shelf full of large brom pups now. I have the notice re, the Trash & Treasure which will be in 1st week of May.
This will give me lots of time to prepare the plants and for those with some sunburn to recover.
I have little ferns which are going into small hanging baskets and the kalanchoes which are now getting plenty of growth.
I went mad yesterday morning and pollinated flowers on GHA. I hope some take.

Karen, nice for you to have some sun up there. I like your pic. Looks like a large spider.

Teresa, it must have been funny watching Sugar in the water. At least she enjoyed herself.
I had a darling golden lab years ago who hated water. She would walk around any water rather than get her feet wet. Unusual for her breed.

Chrissy, looks like so many people are going to be cleaning up for a very long time after this flood.
Glad you are getting out a bit.
It is certainly a land of droughts & flooding rain.

Charleen, I left extra cookies for the furry friends as a reward for their good behavior with the farrier.
Hope you are enjoying some sun.

Moon, I hope you are also enjoying the sun there. Hopefully those storms will disappear over there.

Anthony, how are thing down in lilium land ? You will busy getting ready for another show I expect.
I am hopefully going to see all the dahlias in the Portland Botanic Gardens on Friday.
They grow them for use in the Anzac Day display.

Dianne, did you get any further rain down there ?
I found some seed packets yesterday so may throw them around the garden in hope one will grow.
Zinnias, Kale & poppies . Food for the ants probably.

Better move myself as I want to check around the back to see what has been nibbled by the stray sheep that wander in .
I dont worry about out there as there is nothing they can harm. Mainly succulents which they dont eat.
These are sheep from a farm a few miles away. A very careless farmer who lets his sheep roam all over the place, Been doing it for years.
Luckily there have been no road accidents. The shire rangers came around last week collecting them from all over the district They must have missed s few. They are keeping the few weeds down anyway.

Heres a tasty treat for morning tea... Meringue Cake.
Happy day,
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 6, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9032325

Good morning everyone ...let's see what the day brings, we are expecting storms (yep again ) so Charleen I am going to start taking vitamin D because yes you are right, grey skies can make you sad (vitamin D deficiency) ...but nothing a little sun and a dose of Dave's Garden won't fix.
It's tough watching our fellow Aussies battling the floods, much of the World is still struggling with various disasters, it makes us feel powerless.
Thank goodness for gardens huh ?
Karen I love the umbrella tree buds,
I hope everyone has a great day despite whatever the weather is doing.
Welcome to our new faces here it's always lovely to see new Tea Room customers.

chrissy
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 6, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9032441

Good morning everyone. Karen I love the flower on the Umbrella Tree, [so do the parrots] My brother in Sarina sent me pics of his a few days ago. Apparently they do grow down here but I haven't seen one. Welcome Australian1234 glad you made it in here. Tell us a bit about yourself and your garden. Very cool here this morning, clear skies though so should be a good washing day. I have 4 cold brugs from Alan up now, 2 of each sort. Something is biting the heads off some of my seedlings. I'm gonna get them. I have your seeds emerging from the last lot Cestrum so it's all go here. If I can get a couple of each variety to carry on and grow I will be very happy. Well must go and start the washing and get it out to dry in this nice breeze. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 6, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9032444

Morning,
I had an interesting day yesterday ...we went to the Royal Melbourne Zoo..
It's been about 10 yrs and what a change, it always was a beautiful place but a further 10 yrs of growth
has made it into a jungle..
First thing that I noticed were 2 Brugmansias just inside the main gate...then we saw the Gorillas and all the monkeys...Some of the monkeys are really pretty..

We went along the Elephant trail and saw the 2 babies that are there..
Near the Butterfly house I saw something that I had admired on our What's in Flower thread..
Chrissy's Porcelain orchid...I think that was what you called it Chrissy...it was beautiful...growing happily on a tree...

Then we went to the Giraffes and Zebras, 2 of which were having a disagreement over who stood underneath the lucerne box and picked up the scraps...the giraffe was really annoying the zebra,
mouthing the top of his head and nipping his tail.

That little stroll took us a couple of hours so Ray's knee had well and truly had it by then...I offered to push him in a wheelchair, but he didn't like that idea...we will be going back again.
We only saw about a third of the animals so we have lots more to see...
Here is the orchid.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 6, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9032467

The combatants...the giraffe won...they have a grassy paddock out the back...this is where they are fed.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2012 9:56 AM

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

katciao
Brisbane
Australia

March 6, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9032517

Hi all..the sun is indeed shining, skies are blue and cicadas are buzzing and birds are chirping..I can see gingers flowering outside..I have the white butterfly ginger flowering out the back but the yellow form is out justn outside this window..have to go and sniff it! That "orchid" is the shell ginger, Dianne..Alpinia Zerumbet. There are a few forms..normal .about three metres, dwarf and variegated. They are pretty tough and grow readily. Looks like you had a fun day at the Zoo. We have Australia Zoo but I do love Melbourne Zoo and Taronga. Have to take another trip down sometime.

This message was edited Mar 6, 2012 8:14 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 6, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9032561

I love the Zoo Dianne and you see wonderful plants at zoos ie Pink bananas etc at Taronga Park Zoo here in Sydney,
Yes that is the Shell Ginger, the lady I got the original plant from called it Porcelain Ginger, it has a few common names.
Look isn't it pretty, I used to have the V.one but the garden is too cold in the last three Winters and I lost that one.
http://wildlifeofhawaii.com/flowers/1014/alpinia-zerumbet-shell-ginger/

This message was edited Mar 7, 2012 11:57 AM
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 6, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9032641

Good morning All, I have been offline for a few days owing to the tilers doing the floors and my computer desk being moved away from the outlets. Gosh it is taking an age- they said two days to lay and one to grout but this is day six and they are still here- now pulling up some tiles they are not happy with - my son came at the weekend and made some rude comments on a few uneven tiles and they are now fixing them, plus grouting the laundry and bathroom,. I haven't been able to use them for a week so I am very over it all. I had to drive to town (9klm) to go to the toilet the other day as I couldn't use it! LOL

I di go to the local market on Sunday and brought some plants for around the pond. A Canna, Liriopes and a plant called 'iochroma cyanea' ( no common name). It has dark blue bell shaped flowers and a slightly furry leaf.No a lot of choice this month as it was very wet and few stallholders turned up.

I have netted my fig tree as the sparrows and silvereyes were demolishing every almost ripe fig and I set up a new no-dig garden bed half under the almond tree so it will get lots of afternoon sun- will put potatoes in there. Morning sun is not in the backyard much owing to the big trees and the buildings on east side. I have a lopper coming in to trim some trees to the North to allow more sun in to the vegie garden. They are all very high there - the Lillypilly is over 10 meters & the loquat about 6 - so losing a few meters off the top won't hurt them.
Trees towering over my 40ft container. Almond on the right to viewer.

Thumbnail by chookie2

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 6, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9032656

Dianne, those pics of the Melb Zoo, bought a wave of nostalgia. My first husband worked there for many years. Its where I met him actually.
I used to know all the animals by name and was allowed to be behind the scenes after hours. My late husband was a gardener for a while there, then took on the enormous task of storeman, which meant getting up early to get to the wholesale markets for all the fruit & vegies . plus making up all the feed lots for each animal.
He also drove the tourist train around on weekends and when the elephant rides used to be there, he rode the elephants , sitting just behind those big ears while tourists rode in the large seat strapped to the elephants back. .
I had a lovely garden back then as I scored all the left over plants from the Zoos beautiful gardens.
Not to mention tons of manure.
The whole place has changed a lot since then.
I went back once with my then partner sometime back in the 90s. Havent been since.
My kids grew up loving going out there.
Once a year General Motors would take over the place for their Christmas do. Of course all the Zoo staff were there and their families. My kids loved all the free drinks and icecream.
I had a photo once of my late husband in the cage with the very large female orang utan. The photo was in the paper and the photographer was terrified all the time he was taking the photos.
I still remember holding a baby lion when it was orphaned and raised by a female husky. I was able to pat the lion as he grew into a full size male.
I really dont remember the brugs , but I dont think they were there back then .

Ah well, back to work out in the sun.
I am potting some old plants into fresh mix and doing a bit of trimming.

Jean.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 6, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9032762

Love the zoo Seachanger, those picsa provide lots of good memories!
... when I was a kid I used to wag school to go to the zoo and hang out! LOL
The gardens were always nice there- though I haven't been for a good few years now- maybe next time my grandies come from Perth we will go.My visits to Melbourne are always flying ones in, do the business, and leave on the right train. As a teen I also loved the Taronga zoo in Sydney, a day trip always taken on our annual visit to rellies in Brisbane ( the train changeover was an 8 hour wait in Sydney -good timing for a ferry trip to the zoo).
I just received my Daley's fruit tree catalogue so I am happily planning my next Winter plantings.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 6, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9032821

The Brugs weren't really old ones, Jean..so they probably weren't there...but I bet this old Peppercorn
tree was...it's straight down the main drive as far as you can go...
I used to lead the ponies around in the school holidays...no ponies now...
I remember that poor Orang utan, it used to sit with a bag around itself...thank god, zoos have changed.

Jean is the expert on Iochromas, Chookie...I have the one that you have plus I.grandiflora...boy do they grow fast..

Great varieties in Daleys catalogue...have fun...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 6, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9032825

I forgot the tree...here it is.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 6, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9032855

Dianne, those ponies were part of the circus area run by George & Dorrie Briggs. ( no relation to mu hubby )
I used to love getting fairy floss from them. Always a huge amount on a stick. The real stuff made while you watched. yum.
Yes, the the large peppercorn and also some HUGE Moreton Bay Figs . Dont know if they are still there.
In my day they were in a lawn area next to the rotunda which had a restaurant . Probably more of a cafe than a fancy restaurant.

Chookie, in the right conditions your Iochroma cyanea will grow to be huge . It can be chopped back and will grow quickly again.

Jean.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

March 7, 2012
12:56 AM

Post #9032913

hi,yes, i have some brilliant 'dahlias' out or coming out-ready for the 24th..Ive been going to bed early..work is tiring-Anthony

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 7, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9033007

Good morning.

I loved Taronga Island Zoo...we spent an entire day there...got to hold baby animals and watched the bird show. S Erwin's Australia Zoo was very nice also.. My grandson had a small kangaroo walk up and lie down next to him...he spent quite some time petting it and as we were walking away , a Koala brushed the top of his head...he was over the moon with delight.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2012 7:04 AM

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

March 7, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9033402

Hi Chookie HAPPY BIRTHDAY have a great day .--------elaine.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 7, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9033489

Elaine where have you been ? I was worried about you. Thought something had happened to you , have you been ill ?
Is Chookie a friend of yours ?

♫ ♪♥ (,) ♫♪♥
...~.| |~ ♪ ♫ HAPPY ♫ ♪
...{░♥░}
...{░♥░♥░} ♫ BIRTHDAY ♪ ♫
.{░♥░♥░♥░}
\いいいいい/ ♫ ♪ ♥ ♪ ♫ chookie :)

Good morning everyone ...fun fun fun here roads cut off all around here, rained heavily all night, still raining ...sheesh !
I hope everyone will be ok today, what's the weather like your way ? our sky is still black here.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 7, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9033499

Morning all.
Elaine, what have you been up to, we have missed you...
Happy Birthday Chookie...have a nice day.
Kettle is on Jean, raisin toast today...
Off early, back later.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 7, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9033560

Good morning everyone.
I am late again, I should not wander around the threads before opening the Tea Room.
Thanks for putting the kettle on Dianne.
Its a lovely morning here, but during the night the wind was howling around, Gone now thank goodness.
I did lots of potting up yesterday and now have lots of plants ready for the T&T in May.

Anthony, we are going for a drive to Portland tomorrow. I will be hoping to get pics of all the dahlias in the Botanic Gardens there.
I love them but sadly , every time I grow them , the wind tears them to pieces.

Nice to see you back chookie, sounds like you have lots to keep you busy there.
Happy Birthday.

Elaine, have you been ill ? Hope you are still enjoying all your mosaics.

Chrissy, be careful up there, You may have to start growing water lilies.

Dianne, the koala is still here this morning. I love it when the wildlife visits.
I was working near the shadehouse where he was sitting only about 10' off the ground . He was not bothered at all by me walking in and out right there.
This morning he is even lower in another tree.

Moon, your grandson would love it around here where we often see kangaroos & wallabies.

Charleen, hope all is well with you. Cookies for Charley and little Kaitlin.

Teresa, how is little miss mischief behaving ? I bet Copper has a long suffering look on his face as she runs around him.

Hello to anyone else popping in
Heres a lovely cake for chookies birthday, which I am sure she will share .
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 7, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9033837

So much to see this morning, even a trip to the zoo. And Elaine, so lovely to see you popping in. It is going to be a glorious day here today by the looks of it. A bright golden Autumn glow out there.

I have a tree in flower at the moment, full of bees. Tiny yellow flowers with a touch of red in the centre, but soon the pink seed pods will take over and the tree will look wonderful. I think its a type of Cassia, but haven't found it on the web. Would like to know the name, if anyone can help, please. The pods are probably more recognizable, so here is the pic.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 7, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9033846

Jean, you do conjure up a fine looking cake!

Happy Birthday Chookie. Have a good one.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 7, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9033850

Hi Karen i have never seen cassia pods looking like that, they usually look like bean pods. I would love to know what that is, itlooks kind of familiar but the brain is foggy today, I think it is rusting from all the rain,glad you have some sun. No such a thing here :)

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 7, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9033863

Is it a relative of this ?
Nymania Capensis
http://www.thelovelyplants.com/tag/nymania-capensis/

The flower description does not match, but I love the paper lantern, if I send you a pre paid padded envelope may I have some of the seed please :)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 7, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9033995

No I think this is it ...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/321927/
http://www.australianseed.com/product_info.php/pName/koelreuteria-paniculata-golden-rain-tree

What do you think ? I am getting rusty, I used to know my plants off by heart, but that was before I became Brug obsessed, like I said brain is going rusty.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 7, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9034154

Wow thank you all for the kind birthday wishes. Chrissy even sang for me thank you Chrissy! A lovely surprise for a nice day.
And that cake Jean - oh my hips will suffer! LOL Please everyone help yourself to Jeans yummy cake.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 7, 2012
10:18 PM

Post #9034168

Thank you for the info on the Iochroma Jean I have planted it in a wide herbaceous border so it can fill up the area all it likes.My daughter says she is sending me some nice waterlilies for the pond as a late pressie so that is something to look forward to - now I must organise myself to get that pond lined and set up.

Having a friend from the Wimmera for the weekend and we are going to drive down to to the berry farm at Timboon - raspberries anyone? Helen ( my friend) is a keen gardener and there is a nice private seller there with lots of lovely plants at great prices so who knows what we will find.

I picked up a huge bucket of coffee grounds from my local coffee shop this morning and spread it on the compost heap which is cooking nicely.

dawnsong I think that tree is a shrubby version of
KOELREUTERIA paniculata Golden Rain Tree although my frst instinct said japanese lantern bush I think Chrissy is right. Do the seed pods turn from pink to brown? Is there several black seeds inside ?
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 7, 2012
10:24 PM

Post #9034172

sorry forgot the pic.
Seedpods and seed of Golden Rain Tree

Thumbnail by chookie2

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 7, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9034173

OK, Chrissy and Chookie, thank you for pointing me in the right direction. From what I can see, the tree is Koelreuteria paniculata, or Golden Rain tree.

I will try to keep some seeds when they come on again this time. Be warned though, if these trees like being where they are, they self seed readily. Unfortunately, I am always pulling up a few seedlings each year. Yet the tree is gorgeous. Its deciduous, and then a lovely shade tree in summer. The pink pods are its main feature. They fade to dirty whitish colour when the seeds come in and those are not so attractive. Right now though, it is covered with bees, a blessing in this area. Because of the rains, this year the tree has sent it branches almost to ground level, making it look more like a shrub, but it is a small to med. tree.

I love trees that attract birds, but this one doesn't seem to attract anything except the odd pigeon that builds its nest in it. But here it is great as it likes the tough conditions of the clay.

Karen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 7, 2012
10:42 PM

Post #9034175

I forgot to put the pic in. This will be how the tree will start to look in a few more days as the seed pods start to form in their infant stage. The pics I've put in are all last season's as I followed the tree through its stages.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 8, 2012

Post #9034859

Good morning everyone.
A lovely morning here as was yesterday. We are off to Portland today and then a nice drive along the coast and back up through the forest.
I will have the camera and am hoping to see a great show of dahlias in the gardens.
I will be looking to see if the brug knightii is still alive there too.

I have added a couple of pics of the koala yesterday. He was down low in the tree in the morning and enjoying a snooze. He moved later , but we couldnt see him at all.
Last night around 9.30pm, hubby heard scratching in the back shadehouse. He looked in and saw the koala hanging from the roof crossbeams. Poor thing had gone to go up his tree and got into the shadehouse by mistake.He hung around there for a while then managed to get back on the ground where he wandered around until he found the exit.
This shadehouse is built onto the back of the house so has 2 large open doorways about 4' wide. It is easy for him to get in & out .
I always marvel at how our native animals can be in a garden and not do any damage.
I have had wallabies hop around in parts of the garden without damaging anything. You would not know the koala was in the shadehouse either as nothing was damaged. Not even a pot tipped over.
Put a sheep or a cow in the area and you certainly know they were there.
We have had over the years in our gardens , cows, a large bull, sheep, ducks , chooks ( all from the neighbor) plus wallabies , kangaroos, koalas & foxes.

I had better say hello and get out to the kitchen to see what I can leave you for morning tea.
Enjoy your day and I hope those of you up north are all safe and dry.
Heres a tasty treat for you all and pics of the koala. ...Apple and Blueberry Shortcake..

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 8, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9034896

Oh Jean isn't he adorable, I just love that !

Must rush but will see you all later.
Enjoy your day everyone ...the Sun has come out whoo hoo !

chrissy
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 8, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9034942

Good morning everyone. Sorry I missed your birthday yesterday Chookie. Hope you had a lovely day. Elaine great to see you here again. Please come in and let us know what you've been up to. Had a busy day yesterday washing and cooking at the school. The sausage rolls went well. I'm a bit relieved that it's over really. I should have more confidence in myself shouldn't I? Next time won't be so bad. Jean it's lovely to think that koala feels safe enough to come to your house. I love to have the birds call in for a drink or some of the chook food. I had a flock of the purple-headed parrots come to the sprinkler one day. They were lovely. The Eastern Rosellas come and sit in the apple tree and nibble the apples. I don't mind sharing as long as they don't take the lot like the cheeky little Black bird when he pinched all the cherries. little bugger. John will be here tomorrow for a couple of days so hopefully the old tank will disappear and will give me more room. Hopefully we can plan where the new SH will go. You can all send some more rain this way if you like. The tanks aren't quite full. Since we had the last lot of rain the garden is looking so much better. Still a lot of cutting back to do but I'll get there. The boys have a day off today and another on Monday as it's Adelaide Cup Day so they have 4 days at home. They're looking forward to Uncle John coming. He'll probably take them out on the motorbikes for a while. They love that. Well must go and get the beds make etc. Hope you are all well. Karen I hope you're feeling better too. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 8, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9034985

Hello everyone and all. Another beautiful morning, but expected to get hot later. That'd be right. I've got another hospital appointment this afternoon, so will be out in the heat.

I'm okay. I suspect that a new medication I'm on is causing the headaches, but they are not bad, so will persist and see how I go.

Jean, its lovely to see wildlife, and know that it is surviving out there, despite us. The only animals we get are the possums, flying foxes, and the odd lizard. The possum was in a couple of nights back with baby on board. But the baby is now almost as big as mum, yet still rides around on her back.

Off to get things done or I'll be falling behind. Hope you all have a lovely day.

Karen
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 8, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9035111

Thank you Colleen,Had a lovely day and the team here made it even better. I am going to some nurseries with a like minded friend over the long weekend so it will last all week!.

Dawnsong sorry to hear about your headaches- they can be a pain ! ( pun intended) Hope you are feeling better soon.
Nice shortcake Jean ,Have just downloaded the recipe as I have some blueberries in the fridge right now. My blueberry has just died - too hot? too windy? too dry? ( beside the tank overflow) not sure, but it is a husk. Boo Hoo.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 8, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9035310

Sad to lose your Blueberry bush, chookie...I don't think the wind or the heat would do it, probably dried out...We have a Blueberry farm near us and it's on the side of the hill so they get sea breezes as well as red hot sun...
Jean, what interesting pics...poor fellow must have been stressed when he found that he had wandered into your fernery...post them on BGI too, they will love them...
Colleen, it must be lovely having all those pretty birds visit your garden...I love my little blue wrens...

The other day there was a little stranger in the garden, he was about the size of a fat sparrow and he just called and called and the wrens came out and touched his beak...this went on for a few hours...I thought that he was ill, that night he sat in GHA and was still calling...it was so sad, so I took a pic and sent it to the fellow who wrote the book that I bought on local birds ...he emailed back the next day and told me that my stranger was a newly fledged Bronze cuckoo...he couldn't be sure at that stage which one of two that it might be... the mother bird lays her single egg in the nest of Blue wrens and let's them raise it.
That's why the wrens were coming up to it and touching it...it was old enough to go and they were saying nick off...lol...he did nick off, and is probably looking for a mate right now.
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 8, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9035313

Here we are , home again after a lovely tour around . We went to Portland for the Botanic gardens first.
After lunch of a cooked chook and a very lovely cheese & bacon bun, we went down to the wharf to see the New Endeavour. It was great to be able to get right next to the ship. There were tours , but I said to hubby , we would be waiting for quite a while in a line in the sun and also I wasnt feeling like paying $18 each.
I know they need money for the upkeep of the ship, but its a little out of our range.
We drove back through some of the pretty forest.

Hers a couple of pics.
Chookie, you will be interested to see the cottage and the curators list.

pic 1 .. curators cottage
pic 2..list of curators
pic 3..New Endeavour
pic 4.. new Endeavour again
pic 5.. some of the dahlias in the Botanic Gardens.
They are not as tall or as floriferous as I have seen them. They are used in a large display on the council lawns . Flowers are pinned to the lawn in a replica of the RSL Badge and other service badges fro Anzac Day. It has been done for many many years.

Jean

This message was edited Mar 9, 2012 3:53 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 9, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9036004

Good morning everyone. You must all be busy as its very quiet in here.
I am going outside to do a little more trimming and potting so will leave out something nice for morning tea.
Must see if the kola is still around too.
Have a lovely day and keep dry, those in the north.
Try a slice of this Walnut and Cinnamon Cake.
See you all later.
Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 9, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9036083

The builders are due so just a quick hi and Happy Saturday everyone !
Chookie the Blueberries require acidic soil. Use Azalea potting mix or lots of cow poo.
Back tonight ...hopefully !

chrissy
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 9, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9036095

Good morning everyone. Looks as though everyone has a busy day planned including myself. John will be here today so I'll get back when I can. Have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 9, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9036151

Very nice pictures everyone. Happy Birthday Chookie.
Computer acting goofy but hopefully all is well.
We got a bale of hay and looks like they are enjoying it. Won't last but a couple of weeks. this is all my feller had, got to find another hay person with GOOD hay.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 9, 2012
11:57 PM

Post #9036509

It's been a nice day, hope it's the same tomorrow...
Pretty Brom, Colleen..you must have a few now..
Did you find the Koala, Jean?...love the pics...we went on the New Endeavour years ago and the captain let our grandaughter Steph, hold the wheel, so she thought that she was steering the ship...
She was so thrilled...
Beats me how they sailed around the world in the real Endeavour...they are so small.
Dahlias are beautiful aren't they...

Getting an honest hay supplier is always a chore, Charleen...we are paying about $60 for lucerne and
$45 for Oats, Rye etc...what do you pay in GA?...it hasn't been a good year here for crops.

Have a good night all.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 10, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9037143

Good morning everyone. Quite cool this morning, but should be a fine day like yesterday. I watered and fertlised yesterday so today will be the job of tidying up the fern house. I want to move a few things around and toss a few ferns that didnt survive the heat despite watering.
I need to get in and sort our things anyway as some plants grow bigger and overshadow others just like they do out in the garden.

Yes Dianne, we found the koala. He had moved down to the trees along the paddock fence. Havent seen him this morning yet.
It was worth the walk from the gardens down to the wharf to see the Endeavor but even if I was willing to spend the money for a tour on board, we would have had to stand in the sun in a long queue for at least an hour or so. Not good for us doing that.
It was enough to have seen it close up.

Charleen, Charley looks like he would eat that bale by himself. I think he's looking around to make sure noone else gets too much...lol

Colleen, enjoy the day with John. The boys will be glad to see him as they get those rides on the motorbikes.

Chookie, those blueberries sound yummy. I love them in things like muffins and icecream. Tried them raw once, yuk.

Karen, hope the water is receding a bit up there. Keep dry.

Chrissy, hope the wet is clearing a bit for you too. Its hard not being able to do things outside much.

Hello Anthony , hope all is well with you down there too. I posted a pic of the dahlias at Portland , above.
Usually they are up higher than the stakes and many more flowers.

Hello Teresa, Are you getting some nice autumn weather yet ?
You must show us a pic of Copper and Sugar again, as they enjoy each others company.

Hello to all popping in for a cuppa.
Heres a tasty treat for morning tea. ...Chocolate Cake.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 10, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9037170

Good morning...

Looks very promising this morning, I hope it's the same where you are...
Jean, I am not going anywhere near that chocolate cake...just looking at the pic would put an extra few kilos on.
I think that today will be "Get out the bulbs and start potting" day...which will be a pleasant thing to do.

Lots of festivals on now..the Harcourt apple festival, next week the Dahlia festival..lots of different
garden groups getting together with their plant sales...

Hope everyone has a great day...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 10, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9037207

Good morning everyone. Beautiful day here. The sun is shining there's no wind and the sky is clear. Frosty Pink is about to have her flush and lots of other buds waiting to grow. The cactus liked being moved from under the pine trees I think. They're flowering and pupping and looking so much better without their blanket of pine needles. They still aren't in their proper place but at least they're in more sunshine where they are. John didn't come yesterday. We waited all day and then about 4.30 I decided to give him a ring. I said where are you?, thinking that he would say nearly there or just round the corner and he said at home. I said, what happened? and he said what do you mean? I told him I thought he was coming today and he said no tomorrow. I don't know whether he got mixed up or I only heard what I wanted to hear. Oh well he'll be here about 3pm today. We were all disappointed and he didn't get his meal of corned beef. We ate it though and there's enough left for him to have a sandwich when he gets here. Have a couple more cold brugs up. They're slowly appearing. Would anyone like some cactus pups? I have lots of Echinopsis but most haven't got the species names. I have the colours of most of the flowers though. Let me know if you would like some. Must go and do some work. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

March 10, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9037456

Computer is 'shanked'-so im on a mini one-Anthony
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

March 11, 2012
12:01 AM

Post #9037664

the wee weasel is getting out of her crate now...
it was damaged when my great white bark pushed his way out of it.
He was incredibly strong & bent the wires when he escaped, now Sugar has figured out the weak spot.
It would be ok but she throws the water bowl around & won't leave the old boy alone.
He needs a bit of peace & quiet between muggings by the weasel!
Sugar pulled washing off the line yesterday & on my way out to rescue them & stepped on the edge of the door mat & had my foot roll under me.
I now have a sprained ankle & have been applying RICE...
rest, ice, compression, elevation.
I have 8 hours on my feet tomorrow at work so will see how that goes.
If I can't last I'll go to my Dr for a medical certificate & take a couple of days off.
Have worked at the Merino Outlet 6 months now so have sick leave up my sleeve.
If I need longer ACC kicks in with 80% of wages.

Have had this happen before but it was far worse, I was laid up for a couple of weeks & then went onto crutches, no use as a barmaid so it was a struggle with 20% less money coming in.

Worst thing was that I was only part way through my list of 'chores'.
I wanted to Sugar proof the lounge/dining/laundry & still have a mess in the lounge that she loves to get into.
And the gardening I was looking forward too - not a chance.

photo is my great white bark... Haski was found under our house nearly dead from starvation & full of worms, he grew into a lovely big fluffy boy but only lived to 7 years old thanks to the ill treatment as a pup.

we always wondered what breeds he had in his make up, decided it was german shepherd, samoyed & golden retriever with some hound - saluki perhaps.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 11, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9038340

Oh, last night I did up a grand post complete with a pic, but it isn't here this morning. :(

Never mind. I did send you all greetings and comments. We went to the Port of Brisbane yesterday and Barry spotted this sign. Thing is, there were many many swans there.

Have a lovely day
Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 11, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9038359

The builders are due any tick, so it's just a quick hi and bye, I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend it was lovely, real sun here, what a tease after such a miserable wet dark Summer.
I hope everyone's aches and pains are easing up.
Back this evening I hope :-) you should see the mess here UGH !!!!
All worth it in the end but YUCK !

Bye for now
chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 11, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9038366

Good morning everyone. Lovely day yesterday and looks like similar all week. Quite nippy in the mornings now though.
I did a bit of spraying yesterday. I found some spider mites on one of the little Iochromas, so went and sprayed everything with the milk/water spray.
Today I will tackle moving a few dead ferns from the fern house and do some moving around of the plants in there.
Our koala is still up in his tree this morning. I dont know if he came down in the night or not.
He certainly looks comfortable way up there gently swaying in the sun.

Teresa, sounds like you have your hands full with the dear new girl.
Bad luck with your ankle. I sympathise , still having my damaged knee from the fall.
Take things slowly and I hope Sugar learns to behave quickly.

Anthony, hope your computer is fixed or replaced soon, You must have shows coming up . Let us know how you go.

Hello Chrissy, Dianne, Colleen and anyone else popping in.

Have a happy day .
Heres your morning tea treat.. ... Chocolate Peanut Squares.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

katciao
Brisbane
Australia

March 11, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9038512

Just back from Caloundra. Wonderful weather! The sky was so clear on Friday and Saturday and the water was that incredible clear blue. It clouded up a bit yesterday and got a bit blowy in the morning but we still managed to kayak up the Pumicestone Passage. After all the rains, the water further down was a bit like tea from the dead vegetation. Hubby was on his catamaran which might go faster, but I prefer to have my fate in my own hands, so to speak. Something breaks everytime and he either can't steer or something. This time a vital link to the steering thingo broke so he came back and I gave him a large screwdriver and duct tape to do a temporary mend. Worked a treat. Where would we be in life without duct tape and WD40????

As we were there on Friday as well, I found some great orphans at Bunnings. I think I have run out of room though. It is all shade and steep jungle here, but flat and sunny and sandy there. I have a Geraldton wax I planted about twelve years ago. Getting a bit shabby now but it flowers every year. Love the perfume.

Jean, I love your koala. You have definitely won the best epi invader award. How could ugly brush turkeys come close??? I will swap you thirty brush turkeys for one koala..Lol! I hope you have posted that pic on the other forum too.Today I will pot up some epi cuttings. I end up with a pile of odds and sods that break off or are the final bits from a rain ravaged plant. I now recognise that and cut the healthy branches off while they are still okay. It's sad to chop up a plant that looks okay, but, I know if I don't, it will slowly die anyway.

Have a great day. Hugs to the furries. Cheers, Kat

This message was edited Mar 11, 2012 7:22 PM
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

March 11, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9038553

Just read the missed posts. Belated Happy Birthday greetings, Chookie. May every day seem like a birthday!

Re New Endeavour. When it was in Brisbane last year, one of my sisters was a volunteer guide and we could have got a royal tour as her family but there was so much on that day, we only had time to get to the wharf and wave and talk to her via mobile. There was a two hour line up to get on board. I did see all her photos later which was good.

Karen, you don't list turkeys in your wildlife list. You may regret saying that...hmmm..where do you live??? I'm bundling some up right now. You'll never have to dig again..or mow. You won't have anything to mow! You will have a compost heap that will be the envy of the neighbourhood...in fact, it probably will consist of the neighbourhood..all their gardens, anything not tied down with wire...and it will probably be on your driveway or the most inconvenient spot!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 11, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9038723

Kat, you are definitely not getting my koala, who by the way, is still up in the same tree.
You would probably feed him/her to your pet turklings.

I do not want your pesky turklings anywhere near my place thank you. Keep feeding them epis up there ...lol

Jean.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 11, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9038829

Koala woke up for lunch and says to Kat "no way, I'm going to that turkey place "

LOL...
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 11, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #9038920

Lovely pics, Jean...one day Kat can you post a turkey pic? and a pic of their heaps.

Yesterday, we decided to take a stroll around lake Lorne near our home...it runs by the Drysdale tourist
railway that goes over to Queenscliff...I had forgotten that Thomas the Tank was going to be there too...he comes to our railway a few times a year and it is a big affair with what seems like hundreds of kids...all the characters are there
and the kids love them...they can go on a train ride or get junior engineer certificates, everything Thomas related is sold there of course...but there are plenty of freebies as well, so the day caters for all purses...there were lots of very happy little kids and they were a pleasure to watch..

Today at 8.30am we decided to cut our daughter's lawn as usual, she lives in Portarlington...we were halfway there and I realized that it was Labour Day and Linda and Steph would be still asleep..so we turned around and went to our local nursery for coffee instead...a much better idea and we found two reduced price, very large pots for our 2 variegated brugs...the colour was perfect...I didn't want anything too colourful, the variegation is colour enough...so we had a very good morning and have just finished potting them up...

Time for a cuppa now...here is little Thomas at the railway...not my pic.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 11, 2012
10:27 PM

Post #9038959

Sounds like a very sensible alternative trip to the nursery, Dianne.

pic . 1 ...My little friend was getting a bit warm in the sun , I think, so he moved down .
pic 2... Hello down there, did you bring my lunch, ?

Jean.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 12, 2012
2:11 AM

Post #9039002

Hi everyone.

Kat, no turkeys here. Actually, no bush here. Have seen one at Barry's place but think it must have been an escapee from somewhere, as they've never been seen again.

Jean, we don't get koalas here either. So love seeing koala pics from others. That one looks happy and healthy.

Dianne, that would bring out the kid in me. Barry too. We're both still kids at heart.

Chrissy, I hope the builders are finished. I didn't get how long they would be there. Good luck with it. I hate disruption in my home or yard.

Hello to everyone else too. Hope the week has begun well for everyone.
Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 12, 2012
4:04 AM

Post #9039044

Hi All.
Thanks for the wishes Kat.
Spent yesterday in Warrnambool with my visitor and today we went to Timboon Berry Farm But sadly no raspberries left at all - just strawberries. BUT - I did find a great place to pick blackberries en route -and they are ripe!- so will go back this week with my picking bucket.
Here's a pic of my koala visitor - he only came to check out my trees once but I did love his spotty "pants" ! LOL

Thumbnail by chookie2

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 12, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9039878

Good morning everyone.
A cool morning here but should be another lovely day. The sky was quite red early so rain may be coming. Hubby says we are supposed to get some rain.
Havent see our koala this morning. He moved from his tree during the night and could be anywhere or even moved on .
They are very hard to see even in thin branches as they seem to be part of the tree.
I am off in a few minutes to pack a couple of parcels then down to the PO.
Later I wll be finishing off the moving around of plants in the fern house. Maybe a bit of fertlising as well.

Hello Karen, lovely pic of the pelican & friend.
Hope all is well with you there.

Hello chookie, its always nice to see koalas or wallabies here . Glad to see you may get some there too.

Dianne, I must go and and pat the little Tabby this morning.

Hello Colleen, Anthony, Chrissy and Teresa.

Better see what I can put out for morning tea.
Here we are...Pumpkin Spice Cake.
Have a lovely day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 12, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9040100

Hi Everyone,
Jean yes he was an evening visitor.He ran across the yard and my son thought he was a wombat! LOL Called me and we went to look and he sat on the tree and looked down on us while I took his pic. Don't know why he came there though as there are no nice Koala food trees here that I know of and he came from the paddock direction with no trees at all. Strange.
This area is all farmland and has been settled since the 1850s so he was a once in lifetime I think.Anyway he was a lovely welcome to my new home.

My visitor has just left and I am cooking up some plum and rhubarb jam. Finished some passionfruit butter earlier, then will do some Lime & ginger marmalade for the shop in Camperdown. My kitchen is registered and I have a food handlers certificate so all legal.LOL
Helen was a great visitor , she even brought some plants I had left behind five years ago - what a surprise- she had taken them after I left the old house and cared for them for me until now- amazing. I left a few pots behind as I knew they wouldn't survive in the container for a year - and it turned into five years! LOL Helen didn't say a word just got them and cared for them until now - it was a huge surprise to get my nice ceramic pots with plants back - a lovely surprise from a good friend.
Have a good day everyone - I am off to cook.
Pic is of my February preserving effort.

Thumbnail by chookie2

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9040103

Couldn't get on here , had to go with Firefox. Coarse, it let's me know when I spell something wrong too!!! ☺ Got a sprinkle, We have Pollen falling and Sinus are letting me know. Can't stand it but got too.
Charley and the donkeys were out running this afternoon. Weather is nice, not cold and not unbearibly warm yet.
The Koala bear is so cute. And the cake delightful.
Take care, my friends.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 12, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9040137

Nice to see you Charleen. I saw that Charley had been around the kitchen again.
I forgot to leave cookies out for him. He will be starving, poor boy...lol

Great looking lot of food there, chookie, I may have to visit your pantry when you are out. yumm
Jean

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 12, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9040215

Getting warm here, but a lovely day...
Mum and I went over to the shopping centre which is across the road from her place and sat in the little rotunda.
in the middle of the shops and had a milkshake...then we went thru all the op shops...there are 3 close by...
So much cheap stuff everywhere...

Jean, I hope you gave Tabby a big drink this morning, he will be very thirsty...just covered mine up..it got hot very quickly...

Love your labels chookie, I was talking to a woman on the weekend who has chooks and she has a dutch breed called Barnevelder...she says that they are a really friendly bird, that lays lovely brown eggs and is a very good layer...have you thought about this breed?...or have you decided on the ones that you want?

Elaine, I miss all your craft things...tell us what you are making now...

Anthony, what are you up to?

Have a lovely day all.
Dianne.

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

March 12, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9040460

Chookie - what a wonderful friend to care for your plants all this time!

I am off work for a week thanks to the weasel & her wicked ways...
my sprained ankle isn't as bad as the last time I did this, can walk on it & will start physio today.
Still no gardening done but hopefully later in the week I'll be able to handle a bit of weeding & pruning.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

March 13, 2012
1:01 AM

Post #9040585

Hi to all Sorry I have not been visiting much a while ago I had the flu resulting lung & chest infections so hospital stay was needed after I come home it all started up again so will be back when I can -------elaine
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 13, 2012

Post #9041405

Good morning everyone. Quite warm already here. Yesterday was hot and today is supposed be even hotter.
If any of you from up north are watching, we need our rain back down here thank you.
Hubby keeps warning me not to keep looking for rain or I just might get more than I want in the middle of winter.
There was a large fire yesterday about 6 miles away. It started apparently when machinery was being used to start on clearing an area. The fire got into the plantations and also farm grassland.
One farmer has lost all his fences etc but the fire fighters saved his house.
There were many tankers there plus the water bombers up.
Havent heard any further, so it must be either out or under control.
It could have come this way but the wind was in the wrong direction for that . We are out in the middle of grassland with no plantations near. It is a lot easier to manage a grass fire in the open.

Teresa, it sounds like you have areal mischief maker there with Sugar. Lucky Copper is older and knows better or you would really be in trouble with two on the loose.
Hope you are soon getting about much better and back at work. .

Colleen, did you have a good day with John , finally ? The boys would have been pleased when he eventually arrived.

Karen, how are things up your way ? Still getting rain ?
I hope you get a nice mild & dry winter to make up for all the wet.

Chookie Your preserves look really good. I havent done that since the kids were small, when I was always bottling something.
We grew up with all that type of home preserving etc.
I remember the hall cupboard being filled with jars of colorful goodies.

Anthony, hope your computer woes are fixed. Interesting how we have all become dependent on the darn things now.
Any shows coming up for you ?

Chrissy, are you getting out a bit more yet ? Your garden will be a real jungle this year as the weather dries up a bit.

Dianne, your garden will be coming on beautifully now after your rain. What few flowers i had here were toasted by the hot wind yesterday.
Roll on winter. I am not looking forward to the cold but the garden needs a spell from heat.
I am always surprised at just what does survive though.
I see tiny green shoots on a salvia I thought was dead.

Hello Charleen and Moon.
Hope you are getting some beautiful spring weather now.
Charleen, did you find Charley ?
I saw him hiding out behind the Tea Room , probably hoping I was tossing stale bread for the birds.

Time I got outside and threw a bit of water around before the sun gets really hot.
Enjoy your gardens.

Heres a tasty nibble for morning tea. ...Chocolate Vanilla Cake.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 13, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9041528

Got the Lime Marmalade done yesterday.
Jean I do like to have a cupboard full of preserves- it's like money in the bank to me- I think it comes from being brought up by my frugal grandmother. LOL She never even threw a paper bag away- always a basket on her arm for shopping and recycling was the norm.

Seachanger, I am not set on any breed ,As I want to paint them I will just get "pretty' chooks- the eggs are a bonus - I just their happy ways, I love to watch them scratching and clucking happily. I will look into Barnvelders for sure. I am thinking I will go to a poultry show and see what is there that I really like then get names of breeders. Maybe the Melbourne Royal if not before.

Sammut,I hope you are feeling better real soon.

Dalfyre yes Helen is a good mate,I transplanted two of the plants out f the pots and will strike something for her garden in one.Maybe a lilac if I can get it to strike, today she has sms me three times already to see what i am doing today! LOL

I am off to feed my lemon and plant some broad beans in my new no-dig bed just set up .They will put some nitrogen into it for the next crop.
It is cloudy here and looks like it may rain later although the forecast says 30 deg today.Have a great day everyone.

pic: My new compost bins being built - two finished now and one to go when I get more pallets.

Thumbnail by chookie2

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 13, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9041830

Is that an ice cream log, Jean...just perfect for today's heat...so I will have some if it thanks.
I wish that I could say that the rain did a lot of good, but we are dry again...

Sorry that you have been ill, Elaine...get better and come back for a chat.

Great use of the pallets, chookie...there are so many dumped around building sites here...but I haven't got any use for them unfortunately..

Too hot to do anything outside...time for a cuppa.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

March 13, 2012
10:28 PM

Post #9041981

Tryin to work this new stupid b computer out!!!!!-Anthony

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 13, 2012
11:38 PM

Post #9041994

Elaine dear ...I am so happy you have come in ...you take care of yourself and don't overdo it, we missed you :-)

Sigh Anthony I know all about getting used to a new puter thingy, I do have to say that I love most of it but still miss the simple one I started with, the new ones expect you to know what you are doing *giggle*, oh well :-)
second day huddled in the lounge room for me while the Banging and dust go from early in the morning until about 4 ish, I hate it ,hopefully finished tomorrow but it could be Friday.

Hubby has just walked in starving better go.
Enjoy your evening everyone !

chrissy
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

March 14, 2012
2:07 AM

Post #9042045

because the Sugar weasel is into everything I had to have a major de clutter...
really should be thanking her, the place looks so much better :)
I have vacuumed, dusted & mopped today - not all at once, I do a bit then ice my ankle & rest with foot up.
We took her out to the dog park & she had a blast running with the other dogs.
Copper stayed home & enjoyed some peace & quiet.
I can take him for a walk tomorrow & the physio will assess how my ankle is after that.
The garden still needs work, fingers crossed for nice weather so i can get on with it.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9042354

I love the labels on your jars, Chookie, so pretty not to mention all the wonderful "fruits" of your label.
Aw, Jean, just don't set any cakes on the window sill, Charley is tall enough to eat them and devour every morsel.
You all take care, Hugs...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 14, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9042747

Good morning everyone. Still quite warm outside after a bit of banging around last night with thunder etc.
Not a lot here and only about 20 points of rain. Not enough to wash the dust from the leaves after the awful hot wind all day.
I just hope all ny new lot of brug buds stay on this time.
Have to get myself moving as we have to leave even earlier today for shopping as hubby has to have a blood test done first. You dont have appointments there, just have to get in first.

Anthony , keep persisting with the computer. You will win in the end.

Charleen, lovely spring flowers. Hugs for Charley.

Hello to everyone and I hope you got rain if you need it.
Heres your morning tea nibbles...Yummy Hazelnut Cake.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

March 14, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9042761

There is no way I can over do things BUT this morning I managed to walk from the bedroom down the hall to the kitchen before I needed the inhaler .
Every one have a great day ------------elaine.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 14, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9042762

Hello everyone. I'm reading, but just not up to posting. My shoulder is killing me.

Karen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 14, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9042773

Good morning everyone. Well lots going on here. The old tank has gone and plans for the new SH is in the pipeline. Don't know how long that pipeline is though. Had a lovely BBQ with my sons and grandkids on the weekend. Beautiful weather and then last night had the biggest thunder and lightening and RAIN storm. Don't know how much rain we had but it went on for a few hours so the tanks will be bulging soon if this keeps up. Everything is quiet this morning and crisp and clear. John has gone home now. He brought me up 2 large boxes of brom Mummas and pups. Only ordinary ones but still lovely. Got the parcel from my brother, still have some brom pups and zygos to pot up. Will get that done today. The lizard tank has been made and now is waiting for a couple of sleepy lizards. The other half of the tank has been put in place but still haven't decided whether to plant it up with vegies or put the bigger cacti in there. Plenty of time as it will take a while to fill with dirt. Well musty get moving. Hope everyone is well and I'll be back later. Colleen

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9042892

Hello to you all.

Our weather is wet and warm here... 5 inches on the weekend and another 2 inches Tuesday night. Temps in the 80's...Guess Spring is springing here.

Hope you all have a lovely day.

Karen and Elaine...good thoughts for rapid healing to you both. Hope you feel better as the day goes on.

Pollens are flying and my allergies are in full gear...sometimes I fear there won't be enough tissues in the house to staunch my runny eyes and nose. I think this season's round of antihistamines and decongestants are helping.

This is the busiest time for yard and garden, so glad things are well watered and I am drying up...grin

A few things are in bloom here also.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

March 14, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9043224

had more physio on the ankle & it is now strapped up so I can walk more easily.
Took Sugar out to the Groynes dog park & gave her a run before the Southerly change brought rain our way.
Not sure how much rain we're in for but so far it has drizzled a little & dropped in temperature.
Had a phone call from EQR about them coming out to fix our flue so we can use out pellet burner to heat the house over winter.
Yay, that will be so nice!
Wonder how long it will really take?
time line was for a couple of weeks...
but that is what they told us last June.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 14, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9043257

Dalfyre,I hope your ankle is better soon .It can be such an inconvenience can't it? I have to wait 2 months for a specialist appointment for mine to be looked at again ! UGH

Dawnsong I can relate to the shoulder too! Hope yours is better soon I feel for you. I fell when I was working in Saudi and did my shoulder and ankle and neither is much good now.

Thanks Ridesredmule. I love chooks so they had to go on the labels .LOL I took some preserves into the shop today and the owner immediately opened a jar of passionfruit butter and stuck his finger in- lick lick! LOL Now he wants some for pie fillings as well. I told him he couldn't sell that one and to take it home. LOL

Not much rain here either Jean , lots of thunder and enough to wet the ground is all.Just had a hail warning come through on the sms for our area, so will see if that brings any rain with it. The sky looks threatening but moving fast.

These are the apples off one tree - I don't know the variety but the base shape looks like a Five Crown to me. Not a Gravenstein - too big, too hard and too much "crown' I think.The birds have been having a feast! I had to pick the ones I could reach or lose the lot.

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9043697

They look like they will taste good and be very Crisp. Yummy.
Love the blooms. Hope all are well.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 15, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9043964

Morning all.

I hope Karen, Teresa and Elaine are feeling better this morning and Moon and Charleen are hay fever free.
Colleen, that was kind of John to bring you those Broms and pups, you will be busy...
Plant some Broad Beans in that spot, so easy to grow.

Chookie, you might have some really old varieties in your orchard...lucky you...it will be interesting identifying
them...
Maybe Petty's Orchard could id them for you, they have their festival soon...there is another on our side of town
but the name escapes me for the minute...I know that Werribee mansion is setting up an heritage orchard...
When you think about it, there is so much wonderful stuff going on re the conservation of varieties of fruit.

Jean, we are probably crossing so I will put the kettle on...it's very humid here and storms are forecast again.
I love the leaves on these Tree Begonias.
Have a great day everyone...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 15, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9044017

Good morning everyone. Lovely and cool here this morning. Very overcast so hopefully it may decide to rain later.
Lots of green things sticking their heads up in the garden. Hard to pick which are weeds as yet. The nerines are popping up too.

Teresa, keep resting that ankle as much as you can.
Sounds like Sugar is giving you pl\eanty of exercise anyway. I bet Copper enjoys the time alone for a while when you walk Sugar.

Charleen, that little bird is so pretty. Love your spring flowers too. Charley isnt making a meal of them I hope.

Chookie, nice looking apples. You are lucky to get them before the birds. Anything on our trees is beyond use with beak holes whether ripe or not with our birds. I think they send out scouts to test every piece of fruit .

Karen, be careful with that shoulder. I know exactly how you feel as mine was bad enough before I had to go and fall on it.
Getting older is no fun is it ?
I keep remembering my poor mum and how we made a bit of a joke of her ailments. ( nicely of course )
Now it has come around to me.
Dont you just love the doctors who say , get out and do more exercise . I am sure they dont yet have any arthritis or other pain themselves.

Moon, such a pretty flower in your first pic. What type of orchid is it ?
Hope you are enjoying lots of spring sunshine there but not so much pollen.
It can really be bad in some places.
Here, luckily, our pine trees seem to be too old to have pollen now. We do get the haymaking which kicks up lots of grass pollen and dust. Doesnt worry me too much but some people suffer badly.

Anthony, how are you doing with that new computer ?
Dont let it beat you. We would miss your lovely pics of the liliums.
How is Cocky ?

Colleen, you wont know yourself with another shadehouse. What is going on with a lizard house. You arent going to confine the little fellows are you ?

Dianne, watching your garden with interest. The brugs will be enjoying the cool weather there too.
What else have you got coming up for autumn / winter ?

Hello Chrissy, Hope you are able to get out and about now. Your garden will have missed you during all the rain.

Bet\\teetr get moving and go talk to my plants.
I'll leave something nice out for morning tea. ...delicious Chocolate Cake..

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

March 15, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9044051

had an early start this morning, had to go for blood tests - cholesterol & thyroid.
Quite handy not being at work I was able to sit & wait without stressing about being late.
Home for breakfast & released the hounds, I made them stuffed kongs & it has been so peaceful since then.
I think they may have finished winkling out the goodies inside as there is a bit of a bark now & then & Sugar banging on the door...
she knows what doors & gates are, when we are at the dog park & she wants to go visit the next run she heads to the gate & tries to pull it open.
It really is an amazing area, huge space broken up into different fenced sections.
One for small dogs has chicken wire around the bottom to stop them getting out through the deer fencing that is used everywhere else.
The water section is bigger than I realised - we took her for a swim the other night as it was 26C.
Two areas have agility obstacles set up, different sized tyre jumps, dog walks & concrete pipes of various sizes too.
Sugar is happy to run through the tunnels but wont go up the narrow ramps.
No rush there, if I do agility training we will start with walking on a plank on the ground before trying to go up a ramp.
The garden is crying out for attention but my excursion had my ankle throbbing so it is up with an ice pack now.
See how I go later, I really would like to cut back a few roses that are getting out of hand.
http://www.infonews.co.nz/news.cfm?id=9922

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9044143

That orchid is the species Phaius tankervilleae...Nun's orchid. They are just starting to open.

The oaks and pines are spreading pollen right now like this is their last chance ever...my white truck is green with it.

Hope everyone is up to snuff and reasonably happy...

moon

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 15, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9044316

That is a brilliant idea, Teresa...my dog would love that...
I hope our councils have a look at it...though they would want an all expenses paid trip to try out the obstacles
and pipes...lol
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 15, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9044317

Good morning all. A clear bright day so far but the clouds are gathering in the distance. Rain is predicted later this afternoon.

I am feeling a lot better now. My shoulder was aggravated by a heart condition. I was lucky that this time the medications I have worked and things have settled down again.

Haven't done much for the last couple of days but have been doing a bit of research on the computer about health related stuff. Some eye opening information out there if one only knew where to find it. The cover ups and lies we are being force fed makes me wonder if people who get some of these diseases have a right to organize a group action against those responsible, including the companies selling us pure poison, and the government bodies who know about it but won't change the laws as it would be cost too much. What price a life??? So I'm all fired up today, but not about gardening I'm afraid.

I am expected to fill out a local government survey with question like is social welfarre a. Too Generous, b. Not generous enough, c. about right, d. don't know. Well, doesn't that depend whether you are a. an illegal migrant or similar, or b. an Australian citizen?

Sorry, off my soap box and back to doing the survey. I really do need a soap box!!!

Karen
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 15, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9044490

Karen ,those darn questionairres never have the right questions anyway. No grey areas or maybes allowed. What if one person doesn't fit the box they want them in - they are out in the cold.
Yes I will join you on that soapbox.Maybe we should make it a bit higher and shout? LOL

My daughter has just this week been admitted to hospital in Fremantle owing to Drs overprescribing her after a car accident. Her pancreas has collapsed. Now she is suffering depression, allergies, swelling, plus the pain from the back/neck injury and being prescribed two drugs that were contra indicated for each other and caused no end of problems for her- the specialist she saw was horrified she was taking them. I may be off to Perth next week.She will be in for at least two weeks they say. I will try and bring her home with me for a rest, the two kids are with my other daughter for now.Toby is doing HSC so needs to focus and not be messed around too much just now.Laura is 13 - and Oh Boy is she 13! LOL I am just checking flights now but can't go yet as my youngest daughter has no room for the minute with the two extras, and they want to stabilise her before she has too many visitors. So it's a waiting game right now - waiting for messages and news.

No much rain yesterday or today so far Jean. Just a heavy shower or two then wind drying it all out again - did you get much up there in Merino?.

I just had a phone call from our local Garden club president looking for volunteers for a stall - tomorrow!.I have only been to one meeting since I moved here as they didn't meet in January and I didn't know about the stall, I haven't even officialy become a member yet - that happens at the next Annual meeting laterin the month. The stall must have been discussed at an earlier meeting I guess.

Nothing important on for me so no problem - I was only going blackberry picking but can do that Sunday. I will take some Mandevilla Laxa seedlings I have potted and a couple of Loquat tree seedlings that are growing well in their pots for the stall. I am on duty between 11 and 2.

The Camperdown Festival tomorrow ( and monthly market) is held in the middle of the main highway between the two roads under 100 year old Elm trees - lovely trees. Anyone coming along the highway tomorrow do stop and say hi.

Pic. My trees tower over my little cottage. I am having a lopper come in and take some branches that lean over the house in case they fall. Hopefully it will also stop the possums dancing on the roof in the middle of the night! How far can a possum jump? LOL

Thumbnail by chookie2

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

March 16, 2012
2:48 AM

Post #9044571

mmmmmmmmmph!!! still very unimpressed

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9044673

Good Morning. Hope you are all having a lovely weekend.

Anthony...for what are you still unimpressed?...your computer?

Good Day to you all

Moon

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9044955

Poor Anthony...having problems. Learning new equipment is a pain.
Won't let Charley out of pasture so plants are safe. Wish he had all the grass growing in my yard. He would be a very happy mule.
Love the Tree Begonia. I may have one, got to re pot it. Will take pictures when I do. The leaves are a Pinkish color. No blooms yet.
I know opossums could climb but didn't know they Jumped. Maybe they just fall from the limb.
Pretty here and temps in 70's. Charley and the donkey kids are shedding.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 16, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9045180

Good morning everyone. Quite overcast here again. I am hoping for similar to yesterday with lots of lovely showers and the sun out between them. The plants are loving it .
I am sure my brug buds grew another inch overnight..

Teresa, what an amazing place for dogs. Be wonderful if all councils adopted the same idea. Maybe it couldnt always be as large, but great for dogs & their owners to exercise.

Moon, I can just imagine what your truck looks like. One year here, I had a whole garden of pollen covered yellow plants. Looked like they all had some weird disease with all the pollen on them.

Karen , hope you are feeling better.
I had to laugh when you mentioned filling out forms. They just dont think when they put all those boxes with silly questions .
We dont fit in boxes . We are all different. Isnt it so annoying when you cant find a box that fits you ?
I usually got to box that says other or not known.

Chookie, enjoy your time at the festival. Hope all your things sell.
I love those large trees around your cottage. Lots of places for birds.

Hello Anthony, keep persevering , you will win in the end. We are smarter than computers, it just takes us a bit longer to realise it.

Charleen, I bet Charley is eyeing off your grass over the fence. Maybe you could just walk him around while he eats it for you.
He would not like being in the paddock here at the moment. Its just wisps of dead grass and dust. Soon there will be a lovely green after the rain.

Hello Colleen, Dianne and Chrissy. Hope all is well with you all.

I am off to finish my cuppa , then go see how much all my plants grew overnight.

Enjoy the weekend and this...Chocolate Marble Cake.
Happy gardening
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 16, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9045217

Good morning everyone. And a fine beautiful Autumn morning it is, to be sure. So far anyway. There are clouds gathering.

As for the questionaire, I can't stop myself, I have to write bits in where ever I can fit them. I do get a bit carried away, and could find the mental health services on my doorstep when they receive it. After all, citizens are just good little sheep and should just tick the boxes, shouldn't they?

I did some repotting yesterday. I have a couple of alcantareas that were still in their baby pots from when I bought them, and one pup had another huge pup on it already.

Barry will be here later, and we'll be off to do shoppy sorts of things. Hope everyone has a great day.

Karen

Tecoma Smithii...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 16, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9045235

Morning all.
The things we do for love...It's a good song too.
This morning at 5, I was out in the garden exterminating snails.
Now you might think that this is a little eccentric, but we live on the corner of a roundabout and with 4 large street lights nearby it is very bright...the snails don't realize this, so they stroll along all over the brick paving
thinking that they are safe.
Wrong...I have a pair of long BBQ tongs, a strong bag and big feet...42 less snails to eat my flowers.

Have a great day all...
Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 16, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9045370

Dianne. come and do my sluggies...eewwwwww
I dont get snails but they are easier to get rid of than slimy sluggies.
My first nerines are nearly out . I love autumn flowers.
This year ( as I say I will do every year ...lol) I am going to mark which color nerines are which and where they are in the garden.
Once they go dormant, I can never find them again.
There are so many, I forget where they are and sure enough, if i go to dig a hole, I find a clump of bulbs.
The sun is out and its a wonderful autumn day.
Just sprayed a nice mix of foliar feed over everything. Lots of molasses, epsom salts etc , along with a bottle of hubbys home brew stout.
The plants like it just as much as beer.
Lots of tipsy plants out there now.
Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

March 16, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9045516

well we have a cracker day here - don't know how warm but must be mid to high 20's, better than 90% of summer!
It was so calm & still that I mixed up the weed killer & sprayed the entire drive way - it is lookinbg very green right now but a few weeks should see an end to that :)
Then my roses finally got the trim & dead heading they badly needed.
Should have taken before & after but again didn't think of that until after...
I completely denuded one rose & then made up a mix of dish washing liquid & water & gave it a jolly good scrub with the old dish scrubber I use on the dog's bowls.
Hubby already thinks I am mad so good thing he didn't see me at it.
The poor rose was covered in some kind of scale insect, in places it was totally white.
I think I need to spray with an oil but have to find out which one.
There are other roses affected but that one was the worst & I wanted to see how effective the scrubbing would be.
Looks heaps better & gives me hope that I can get this nasty under control with a bit of time & effort.
My ankle has been pretty good but am resting with it up just to make sure it keeps recovering, have to go back to work Monday so need it to be strong.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

March 16, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9045629

Things are not that bad with it i suppose,.,.still cant make the printer work correctly though,.,.have joined 3 footy tipping sites[slowly]-6 ton of firewood coming tomorrow morn, had to make some room.,.,about to go and view a 'snake orchid'-'sounds interesting',i'll call in on the way back with cocky -Anthony

This message was edited Mar 17, 2012 10:00 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 17, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9046265

Godd morning everyone. Quite overcast here this morning but I think a lot of that is from one of the burnoffs in some bushland yesterday.
It is supposed to get back up to around 30C during the week but then cooling right down again. I love this autumn weather .

Teresa, you made me laugh when you said you scrubbed the rose. I had hubby looking at me very oddly a few years ago here.
There was a small camellia that had been hidden by the lower branches of the cypress and it had not seen much light for years.
Once the cypress was cut back I was so sorry for the poor camellia. I got a bucket of soapy water and washed every leaf to get all the green gunk off.
That camellia rewarded me with so many flowers for years before it finally gave up and died. Hubby still tells people how I washed a plant.
You keep washing yours, they will love you.

Anthony, keep trying, you will soon be a whiz with the new computer and wonder what was so hard.
I was so terrified the first time I ever tried a computer. I thought if I press the wrong button , I could cause some awful problem ?
Its all from not growing up with the darn things.
Say hello to Cocky. My Formosa lilies are opening, both in the garden & in the shadehouse.

Hello Colleen, Dianne, Chookie, Chrissy , Karen , Charleen and Moon.and all others peeping in.

Enjoy this Cranberry Cheesecake with your morning cuppa.
Happy day
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 17, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9046291

Good morning everyone. It's a cool morning here after a beautiful day yesterday. The brugs and broms and cacti oh everything are really enjoying the rain that we've had and now the cooler and sunny weather. Hope everyone is well. Branden is going to Adelaide with the school tomorrow to see the olympic swimmers. He's leaving at 6am and should be back about 4.30. It's going to be a big day for him. The boys are having a sleep in this morning. It's lovely and quiet. I enjoy this time of the morning.I wander around and do nothing for a while. Look at the garden and talk to the animals. I don't know what we're doing today yet. Maybe they can get some friends over but have to do a bit of shopping first. Well I'm going to take my cuppa outside so I'll see you all later. Colleen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 17, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9046324

Just popping in to say hello. I must be late, as Barry is hovering, waiting for the computer. He can wait until I've finished. My turn.

I am going to have to have a war on snails too, if the rains ever stop. Going to try the beer thing. I think every plant I own is harbouring a family of baby snails, even the tillandsias which are up high.

Theresa, I hope your ankle recovers quickly. Don't aggravate it, give it the healing time it needs.

Can't think with someone standing over my shoulder. Will try to catch up later.

Karen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 17, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9046365

Losing the war on snails here ...grrrrr
Never have I seen so many high up in the plants (guess they don't want to drown ).

Looks like everyone is in the wars with sore bits and pieces ...I hope everyone feels better very soon.

Anthony hang in there mate, it will be ok, you will be pleased once you get used to it.

It was brisk earlier in the garden but a lovely gentle sun has made it's appearance, the ground is mud but it may harden if the sun remains.

Well make hay while the sun shines as they say.
Enjoy your lovely Autumn Day everyone :-)

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 18, 2012

Post #9047576

Good morning everyone. A beautiful day yesterday after a cool start. Warmer today .
Very quiet here, you must all be very busy in your autumn gardens.

Hello Karen, and Chrissy . Hope things are not so wet now.

Hello Colleen , Dianne, chookie and Anthony. This nice weather should be making your gardens look lovely fresh.

Teresa, hope you are feeling better now and that Sugar is learning a few more manners.

Moon and Charleen, are you getting lots of spring sunshine ?
Cookies are out for Charley.

I am off outside to start getting rid of all the old growth on my shrubs . Time I tidied up ready for spring .
I know, spring is a bit far away, but I like to get some things done before winter sets in.

Have a great day and enjoy this delicious Strawberry topped Cake.
Jean

This message was edited Mar 19, 2012 8:14 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 18, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9047651

Oh what a flurry of Excitement over there in our Aussie Brug thread, Dianne and Shaun have outdone themselves !
I will be excited all day !

Yes the days are a bit drier now, and the mud is a little less squishy but it's still mud :-), it was once again quite cool outside, good idea to clean up before it gets really cold Jean. I am itching to get outside for longer than a few minutes, sitting here like a goose waiting for the tradies to turn up ...maybe they will and maybe they won't, depending on the weather, they cancel if it rains because they can't fix the ramp in the rain. If they can't fix the ramp then they can't finish the kitchen and so it drags on ...I do like the new tap thingy, it is levers instead of handles.

I did find some fruit survived the big storm after all, they were under the canopy of the trees, that makes me happy, I do love my Pink Lady Apples, my favourite next to Granny Smith.

Better go and watch out for the Tradies Truck ...I hope everyone has a lovely day.
Hard to believe we are almost into the 4th month of 2012 ...wow !!!

chrissy

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 18, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9047671

Hello all. Hope things are not to wet for you. More rain expected so I've been to the library and got a few books to keep me going. I'm actually feeling quite chilly this morning too.

This little fellow was caught taking a nap in my back yard yesterday. I keep a good size pile of dirt, grass clippings and dead stick down there, and the Blue Tongue lizards use it to burrow right into and breed. I hadn't seen one around for a while, but obviously they are still around. They are so prone to dog and cat attacks.

Chrissy, you are so right about the snails being high up. Between them and the ants, I am wondering what is coming. But they've misled me before.

Off to have a warming up cuppa, then round up the birds and put them out. They are getting extra flight time this morning because its cold. But they are prone to mischief when left by themselves so need to get them settled.

Have a lovely day, despite weather, aches and pains.
Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9047809

Love it!!!!
Charley will lean over the fence and grab a bit of grass when he can Jean.
Sorry to be so long getting back but my computer has it's pwn mind and won't let me even send a note.
but I'll try to keep up..
spring is almost summer, in the 80's
No air on yet!!☺
Hugs and nuzzles
Charleen and Charley...
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 18, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9047909

Good morning everyone, Lovely day here.I do love Autumn.

Our Garden Club stall went well and we made enough money to pay for a bus trip to a notable garden for a one day visit for all members so that was nice. My preserves and Mandevilla Laxa seedlings all sold well and all my apples went too, so that was good for the club. Overall it was almost a sell out with only some unpotted Bignonia cuttings and a few succulent donations left at the end.

I brought two ferns for the new pond from another plant stall at the market, and a lovely standard Fuchsia in Mauve and white (double) - just lovely - now to find a place to put it.I was tempted by a Brugmansia ( orange yellow in flower) after all the chat and wonderful images on the Brug site, but not sure where I could put it, so left it for someone else - so much to learn ! LOL

From the club I brought a flowering quince which I have planted by the woodshed so it can fill the space between the chookpen and the woodshed on the south fence. Also a nice mauve hibiscus which I planted on the North side in the sun beside a tree begonia, not sure how the frost will affect it but worth trying.

It seems we all have snails or slugs Dawnsong & Seachanger- I wonder they don't come up with something to deal with them - someone would make a fortune if an effective organic remedy could be found- I rely on the magpies and feed them to the chooks. The rain sure does bring them out in droves and they say squashing them can make eggs hatch but not sure I believe that one! LOL

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 18, 2012
11:56 PM

Post #9048169

Busy day here...
Sounds as though you had a great weekend, chookie...

Charleen, you and Anthony should compare notes...both with computer probs...

I bought a new mobile phone...no not an iPhone...ooh headaches..nothings easy anymore and I have a husband who can't turn on the dvd, but he becomes a genius if I get stuck...lol
Oh well, back to the &*^%$&^ thing.

Have a pleasant night wherever you are..
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

March 19, 2012
2:55 AM

Post #9048209

A little better-- the lad from the computer shop[with the personality of a toothbrush] came back today and made it a bit more user friendly and now i have my contact emails back.,- printer still has a mind of its own!!,.,Telstra has been sending bills for 100s of dollars for internet mobile use[ive never ever used it]even now, i have the battery out of it and am using the truck mobile,.,.and just turn it on at night to see if anyone has rang,.'How great it is to ring the accounts line [o-seas] and speak to' Bill-the Pakistani'-my god what a joke!!!1 hr /20 mins later and 5 transfers, still none the wiser!!,..,i think i'll go back to the 2 baked bean tins and a piece of string system-it worked for me as a kid!!-Anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9048523

Yes, it is so aggravating to write a bunch of words, then try to send it and I find "I've timed out"
Now that is stupid...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 19, 2012

Post #9049076

Good morning everyone. The sky was pinkish earlier and looking a bit ominous. Hubby says some rain is forecast but I'll believe it when it happens.
Very warm yesterday so I hope all my brugs hang onto their buds .
We had a wallaby in the paddock garden again. Cute things and they seem to like all the hiding places out in that part of the garden.
Koala was still around on Monday, but havent seen him again. They are so hard to spot even when you are looking at where they are.
I will be making sure everything is well watered today as we will be out tomorrow. Off to Mt Gambier for the day. Nothing special to do , just a nice day out.

Anthony, glad you are getting the hang of the computer slowly. We are very lucky in getting our various appliances from our Harvey Norman shop in Hamilton. They are very helpful and always answer my questions so I understand.
I too, have had dealings with the "experts" sitting in a chair in India or somewhere when I needed Telstras help. They do not know how to speak slowly and in plain English instead of tech talk. Very frustrating. Hubby always gets me to deal with them as he cant hear properly and gets impatient.
Bring back friendly, helpful people on the phone. There must be lots out there in this country.

Dianne, we have to stick with our land line because of hubby needing it for the fax machine etc for CFA and we need it for the computer.
Do mobiles actually make phone calls these days ?? They seem to be programmed to do everything else...lol

Charleen, I hate that 'timed out ' thing. I get it when I am in our bank site. Very annoying when you are in the middle of something .
I dont see why we have to pushed out after a certain time. Sometimes one needs to think about something before proceeding or look up info then whammo, timed out again.
Hope your weather is beautiful for you there. I threw some grain out for little Kaitlin but I think Charley ate it.

Chookie, lovely that your club stall went well..
You live in a nice area of the state.
I havent been down that way since I was a child. My parents had friends who lived there and we used to visit.

Karen, cute friend you have there. Dont you just love those lizards. We have so many little skinks around here. They make me laugh as they hurry to get out of your way. There are a few who like to sit on the front veranda in the sun and are reluctant to move.
Last year I saw a mother with lots of little babies coming out for the warmth. We do get the larger blue tongues but not many.

Chrissy, lucky you found some apples still okay after all your bad weather. We only grow fruit here for the birds...lol. At least thats what it seems like.
Hubby has just told me that Townsville was hit my a mini tornado with lots of damage.
I hope all our friends are okay up north.

Hello Colleen, Teresa, Moon and anyone else popping in. I am off to water before the sun gets too hot.

Heres a treat for today... Banana Muffins.

Enjoy the day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 19, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9049106

Are all the computors going on strike? Sounds terrible. Anythony, good luck with Telstra. They shoot first and don't even bother with questions later. Things have fallen apart in this country since everything was privatised. Telstra, Australia Post, Electricity, the list goes on and is still growing. This country scares me, more for our kids than myself. I hope not to be around when it all turns to s*%t.

We have to vote Saturday, and my postal vote application didn't turn up, though I applied for it a while ago, plenty of time. But now time has run out. No time to get an application, post it in, get the form posted out then post it back in. Just not gonna happen. Stupid system anyway. It means Barry has to go over the other end of town to take his mother to vote, then go vote himself, then get down here and take me to vote. They don't care. I could not go to vote and do a stat dec. to say the forms didn't arrive, but I feel I'm being forced to go to a lot of trouble for people I have no faith in anyway and wouldn't vote in even if they had guns aimed at me.

Looks like the rain is going to stop me doing much again today. We got some heavy stuff overnight, but they say the real bad stuff is coming Thursday. Something to look forward to. No flooding locally though, so that's good.

Better go get some brekky and put the birds out and get on with the day. Hope everyone has a good one.

Karen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 19, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9049167

Good morning everyone, I don't have a mobile and like the dinosaur that I am, I don't want one.
They are designed to make the makers rich and us poor lol, besides who can figure them out besides the kids.
I personally know of teens who have racked up hundreds of dollars in bills their parents can't jump over. It's trickery to link it up to the net.
Yes I know ...I should go live in a cave :-)

Must go and do some work for hubby ...enjoy your day everyone (or night Charleen and Moon )

katciao
Brisbane
Australia

March 19, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9049230

Hello everyone. It is clouding over a bit but there is still some blue sky. I'm doing as much brisk walking as I can, even if it means walking to the shopping centre and back when we are out of things. the cars sit there unless I have heavy stuff or further to go. Walking in the rain is quite pleasant, especially around the cemetery. Seems to add to it. I go over the Green Bridge and around the uni lake as well, so it can be quite pleasant. There are heaps of Golden rain trees along the streets, all with yellow blooms and those lovely pink seed cases Karen photographed a while back. The Buckinghamia around the streets (Ivory Curl Flower) have been magnificent this year.

There are no street plantings in this street as there are no footpaths etc, or even a verge..it's narrow road then fencelines..in fact, the steep cliff down to the road is part of our property as the street only recently gained a gutter which is its edge. The road would have originally just been an access track for horses and people so the people opposite are actually well below road level so have no car access. But it was like a jungle, except for the two, you-know-who--who have scarified their blocks in case a weed or bug or snake should wander in there. Shame they live so close to Jumanji! Lol! and the sometimes stream at the bottom of the big gully behind is flowing so when you walk over the footbridge, there is water underneath and a waterfall from the other side of the gully. My late neighbour on the downside, and I, replanted our sections of the gully with rainforest trees and palms years ago so it is quite magnificent now..shame he didn't get to see how wonderful it has become..he passed away from melanoma about six or seven years ago..only fifties but awesome bloke and neighbour... had doctorates in a few fields but was humble and ordinary but his friends were some of the best brains around also so it was always a hub of activity and great minds but no airs of pomposity. They all met as country boys going to uni and staying in the same uni college. His house was just a renovated worker's cottage built long after this one. This would have been one of three original homes. I miss that neighbour but the two houses were left to his brother, also a State Coroner, and he keeps it the same and has interesting alterrnative young tenants.,artists, musicians etc..

Sorry, got a bit deviated there.There has been a large waterdragon out with the chooks,, it seems to hang around Dunlayin Castle ( which is actually a very large chook tractor but I don't move it around as there is no grass anyway..and it has to be set up so snakes down't get in underneath. I have moved all the bricks and pavers from the sides as the chooks and turkeys had dug the soil and buried the bottom few inches and I don't want it to rust. Back to the waterdragon..I think he/she must have been washed down in last year's floods..we used to have heaps of wildlife,,bandicoots, echidnas etc..but so much of the wildlife corridor has been destroyed and the bloke over the road totally cleared his land to the river, even below the riparian line, and built terraced levels right down.. so rents them out to international students..cash cows..and the council allowed peole a good 18 months warning that they weren't going to allow pontoons so everyone rushed and put them in. There is a strip that is still council land along there but it is not traversible, and now not much of a wildlife corridor. The critters that move into and through the gully, one of about three or four along the river, need that corridor to access other places. I do think the Green Bridge allowed all the turkeys and snakes and possums we previously relocated over the years to UQ to just walk back home. I mean, when there was only the ferry, they were gone!!!

Anyway, I'm procrastinating.. Cheers all.
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

March 19, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9049239

I love my iPhone4..and can't wait to get an iPad3..been waiting for the new version..ah..connectivity!!! and at that last school I was at, I used to show them how to do things..which made some of the things that happened at the end quite ironic. All boiled down to croneyism and the fact that they hadn't selected the new kid on the block from their friends. A newly appointed English HoD and a newly appointed Maths HoD also got..er..silently pushed out in their first year there too...the maths HoD was a friend of mine from a previous school..all above reproach..so school admins and principals can be quite corrupt and giving them more power to hire and fire is going to increase the problem. BUT that is past now...move on...

This message was edited Mar 19, 2012 8:36 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 19, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9049570

Couldn't do without the landline Jean...I use my fax a fair bit, it's very handy...I have a big old Canon printer, that does everything and gives me great prints of pics...can't go wireless with this old relic..but I love it.
I have my first computer which is 9 yr old and runs XP that I gave to my granddaughter to practise on..when she got her laptop, the old one came back...and the one that I bought to replace the old one, was running Vista, but then the laptop came along with Windows 7 so now the Vista PC is Windows 7 too...I'm keeping the XP on the old boy..
I have some good old games on there too...I love both of these computers and can't part with them and
they smile when they see me coming and say " Choose me, choose me" and the teddy bears sitting on the shelf above take bets on which one will do some work today..the small teddy with the green foot has been with me since I was 4...his name is John...all the others are my kids teddies that we can't part with..
Our grandaughter's teddy is too big for the shelf, so he sits on a chair...

I would have loved the iPhone 4 too kat...but it's expensive and I can barely see the text..so I thought what's the point..If it was a few years ago when I was still working and could see without glasses, I would have loved it..now I need BIG screens and BIG keyboards...and a magnifying glass in the garden..lol

I thought that I would show you where I sit at night...I know it's messy...that's me..

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 19, 2012
9:33 PM

Post #9049659

I can't resist Dianne looking at those fluffy friends, my mind won't stop the song *slap* *slap* slap*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0emLj0d66DQ&feature=endscreen&NR=1

sometimes my soundtrack drives me nuts ...your little puter nest looks very cosy and la la la la *slapping my ears.*

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 19, 2012
10:22 PM

Post #9049669

here is mine ...that is all I am showing you ...mess all over right now ...I have the contents of kitchen cupboards everywhere. all waiting to go into their new homes, ick !

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 19, 2012
10:40 PM

Post #9049672

Cowardy custard, Chrissy...I showed the jumble...lol
I love that clip, wasn't it good quality...
Twilight Time is lovely.

Terrible storm in Townsville, such damage...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 19, 2012
11:22 PM

Post #9049686

poor Qld and just about everywhere has suffered one way or the other ...hopefully autumn will bring some respite.
If we had been living off the Land this year we would have had to go hungry ...very sobering.

I hope all of you where ever you are, are ok.
It's been a trying time for most gardeners, Jean is needing rain ...and we have too much, but compared to many aren't we lucky.
I always feel guilty when I am safe and others aren't.

I hope all the aches and pains ease up for the ones who are feeling sore and or unwell.

chrissy

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9049829

Good Morning to you all.

What a scary time for Townsville. My son-in-law's Mother lives in Townsville...no word from her as many lines are down and so many have no power. Good thoughts to all...seems thus far all are okay.

Our weather reporter has said we are in for some major rain over the next couple days...possibly as much as 177 mm Wednesday alone.Today, Tuesday, is our first day of Spring...certainly coming in like a lion...

Hope you are all well

Moon

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 20, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9050420

Good morning everyone. Cool and windy with a mist of rain this morning. I hope it fines up for Friday night as the school is having their Gala Night. The weather was perfect last year so hope it's the same this year. If only the wind stays away it shouldn't be too bad. Been a bit busy with the school and potting brom pups. I started to get some plants ready to send. Have just put them together in their pots ready. Branden went to Adelaide to see the Olympic swimmers on Monday. They left here at just after 6am and where home again before 4.30. A very quick trip for 229kms each way. He said it was boring but I said when he sees them on the TV he will be able to say I saw them. It doesn't interest him very much, nor me for that matter. Since they started finding drugs in some of the athletes I've lost interest and I just wonder how many of them actually get away with enhancement drugs. To me all the sports is all about money and not someone playing for the pleasure nowadays. I'll get off my soapbox now, sorry. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 20, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9050421

Good morning everyone.. Jean got rain..
We had 13 points overnight. The garden looks nice & fresh this morning.
I found buds coming on some brugs that I didnt see there yesterday. They must have been hiding then popped up in the night.

We are off to Mt Gambier today so I will just say happy day to everyone and leave you with a tasty treat.
...Cherry Scones...

Keep safe & dry .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 20, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9050502

Good Morning all , here too it is raining, a nice soft gentle soaking rain that started during the night- just what we need in the garden- thank you Lord!

Yesterday I went to our Garden Club Annual meeting at the Stony Rises Homestead near Pomborneit owned by Historian and Author Robert Wuchatsch and his wife Gaye. What a lovely place, we were made very welcome. Built in the 1840s and very original, it is one of the oldest original surviving farmhouses in Victoria. It was added to to in 1860 and the current owners are doing very sympathetic restoration to house and sheds.

The garden covers 2 acres and contain the biggest pear tree and black walnut tree I have ever seen! Just enormous and both 150 years old.I have asked for a cutting from the walnut in winter and they said yes!! whoo hoo. Thats one for posterity.The walnut tree has been listed on the historic tree register as the most significant walnut in Australia no less- it covers a diameter of about 100 feet with its canopy and is specially fenced off with a stile to climb into it's own paddock ( which covers half an acre at least!).A smaller brother to it grew nearby so barring disease it will always live on.

There was old relic farm machinery everywhere dotted about the garden, curving stone walls about 4ft high enclosed several smaller 'garden rooms" and we were told a lady of over 60 built many of the walls for those 'rooms' around the house yard personally, using a little grey fergie tractor to haul the stones -they were perfect!- those stones she cemented into position using a hand turned cement mixer by herself- amazing lady! , as the cows had leaned on some drystone walls and caused falls, leaving gaps in some outer walls, and she wanted to protect her garden, and yes there was a big Brug under some old elms that were also huge. Mostly the garden was a series of herbaceous borders up to 20 ft wide in places towered over by over 100 year old EUropean trees fo many varieties.
All this is surrounded by curving drystone walls that were built in the 1850's by Scottish stone-wallers brought out to Australia specially, as this is volcanic country with a multitude of stones in and on the ground. There were 20 of Garden club members altogether and the owners told us to help ourselves to cuttings but I didn't take any as I wanted that walnut cutting most of all. How's that for self - control? LOL

Sorry everyone guess who forgot to take their camera ? But next time in Winter I will take it for sure. I didn't take my car but travelled with the club Pres so didn't have my phone camera either as it was in the car -duh Sue.
Oh yes and I was elected Assistant Secretary during the Annual meeting - guess they were desperate to take a newcomer like me.LOL All in fun and I am sure I will enjoy it- a new hat to wear!.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 20, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9050516

Good morning all. I feel left behind, so much written since I was last in. Great to read though. I am just popping in quickly as I need to get ready to catch the bus. The sun is out now but that could change in mere minutes.

My Cooktown Orchid has been a source of delight for me for many years, and this year is no exception. This is the first group of buds to open this time round, but more are coming. I was trying to remember how long I've had this one. Could be anything up to 25 years, but I don't recall. Its been a long time anyway.

Have a lovely day.
Karen

This message was edited Mar 20, 2012 8:58 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 20, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9050558

Good morning everyone ...it isn't raining so I must get out there while I can.
Lovely pictures everyone,

Congrats on your new hat chookie, looks like you are settling in nicely.

I will be back when it starts to rain (as predicted ) sigh.
Enjoy your day :-) everyone !

chrissy

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9050627

Hello, friends! I've missed you all and thought I would check in to see how everyone is doing! Long story here, and a long winter, but it's the first day of Spring and things are looking up! I am looking forward to the cooler temps up in NH. I hope the flooding in New Zealand isn't causing you problems, Teresa.

Jean - I'm glad you got some rain...we need it terribly here in Florida.

I'll catch up with each of you sooner than later...in perusing this thread, I see that some of you have also been AWOL too. Good that we are all able to find the path back!
Louise
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 20, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9050738

Hi Karen,
That orchid is lovely I envy you those Cooktown orchids.I drooled over them in the Cairns Botanical Gardens some years ago. I may try some cold tolerant orchids when I get the shadehouse built- everything is taking months longer than I expected to get done...sigh...Chookington Palace is still just posts in and on the ground. My poor Lulu and LJ have to tolerate the smaller shed until it is foxproof and finished.\
Chrissy your office is a Brug ? Interesting! LOL

Seachanger your office looks just right - truly homelike. Mine is still bare of all except my desk but now the floors are finished I have to seal all the grout by hand before I can move furniture back in- I wasn't expecting that - apparently it wasn't included.

Still raining here, but I sneaked out and planted the sweet peas and broadbeans between showers- ground was wet down to 10cm which is great for the vegies and rhododendrons.I can hear my tanks filling too. I am watching the silvereyes out the window- they have found a hole in the fig tree net and are demolishing the ripe figs. I left them some branches outside the net - but no - they want my figs!! I haven't manged to get more than 6 at a time so no jam happening.

Colleen you are right money has become too important in many things including sports, and decency and morals disappear as it grows in importance - up on the soapbox with you.

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 20, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9050766

BTW Is anyone here going to the Melbourne Flower & Garden Show on Friday? I am thinking of jumping on a train and going for a look see for the day. Only 2.5 hrs in the train for me. If anyone is going we could wear a flower ( real or paper) to identify ourselves and maybe have a chat at a designated place/time??? Any takers?.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 20, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9050788

oops got the wrong weekend - it is on from 28 March to 1st April at the Exhibition Buildings in Melbourne- so the next Friday is a go for me.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 20, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9050799

Louise, ...so glad to hear from you...when moon checks in and Charleen has a chat, we naturally wonder where you are...I'm glad that you mentioned you were in Florida, I would have had to do a quick calculation...lol
Hear from you when you can call in...safe trip to NH...

Sounds like a wonderful day, chookie...can we call you Sue or is chookie a preferred nickname?
What a wonderful situation for the Walnut...we have one in the Geelong gardens which doesn't have that big a canopy but it's over 100 yrs old...good luck with that cutting...a piece of history.

Lovely orchid, Karen...nice to have plants with a good age...hope you are feeling better.
Cherry scones, Jean...lovely...my poor confused Cherry has just put out some flowers...is it a bit late or a bit early?

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 20, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9050904

I answer to anything Seachanger- chookie is just my forum title because they asked! LOL
My plum tree is also sending out a few flowers I wonder what is wrong to have them both flowering again? Something in the weather is confusing them maybe, it has been a warm March overall hasn't it?

Our garden club is coming down to the Geelong Botanic Gardens later in the year after they get info from them on the best time to come.I will have a look at their walnut tree for sure.

It is looking like I may go to the Flower & Garden Show on the first Thursday as my daughter from Perth just rang to say my other daughter is still in hospital and I may be needed to care for the kids on the hols at Easter, so at this stage I am thinking go early to the garden show and fly out at 8pm to Perth. But all depends on what they need from me over the west there in Perth. I have my bag out ready now in case it needs to be sooner. Who says our kids are off our hands when they leave home - HA! ... this one is 40 ...and of course I would rather not be needed in circumstances like this!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 20, 2012
10:30 PM

Post #9050929

I'm back.. A lovely day over in Mt Gambier. A nice heavy shower here as we were leaving .
We had a sunny day over there with a little cloud and only one teeny shower while we were in the car.
I found an orphan tree fern. It is a very nice size and so cheap at $8., how could I resist. Actually hubby picked it up and said you need this , and bought it for me.

We had a nice cooked chook and a cheese & bacon pull apart roll for lunch. I always take the thermos too.

Hello Louise. I missed you and the girls. I was hoping all was well with you over there.
Please pop in when you can as we love seeing you.

Chookie , I never go to Melb. but my cousin gets to the Flower Show and sends me pics.

I must go out and check all my babies now. I am watching the brug buds like a hawk.
Keep safe and dry all.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 20, 2012
11:12 PM

Post #9050955

Been out checking my pods and found even more, eek the bugs and spiders are out in force, I heard a noise in the long grass and decided to come out of there. Be it the blue tongue or a snake ...not waiting around to see.
So we have another Sue, hello Sue, our other Sue ran off and got lost on the FB Brom place, hopefully you might enjoy our company. No that was not my office it was my computer, I do not have an office, just a borrowed dining room :-)
I was set up here years ago when I had to care for My elderly sister in law, I had to be here to keep an eye on her as she was unwell and also had mild dementia (she would wonder off onto the road in her nightie if I didn't keep an eye on her). Luckily the lounge room is big enough to be the dining area as well as the lounge.
My home is now empty, gone are the ones who were ill, the grandchildren are grown up ... I don't want to rattle around in this big place much longer. Hubby is a workaholic and he still works just about round the clock (he is 12 years older than me and really should be easing up) We had a health scare with him and I have given him 2 years to get ready to retire,we will move to a smaller place, but it must be big enough to keep him busy because I know he needs that, it's his nature. This is why I am interested in your venture. I would love to live off the land (almost) but this weather is a scary thing. I suppose by the time we move we will be back to droughts. Oh well I don't mind baked beans. :-).

Loise how lovely to know all is well with you, we have missed you ! you must be looking forward to Spring. We are slipping into Autumn (not like we had a real Summer). It will be fun to compare the gardens with you , and our lovely Charleen and Moon.

Waving at everyone else...I might try to go outside again the wasps might have gone by now.

chrissy
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 21, 2012
1:10 AM

Post #9050994

I see where you are coming from Chrissy, I hope it all turns out ok for you both. Workaholics don't do well when they stop do they--get him started on a hobby now maybe?

Jean glad Mt Gambier was kind to you and a tree fern for $8.00 is a great buy. I too rarely go to Melb but maybe I can do this one.Time will tell ,I won't pre buy a ticket just take it if it happens.
The tree lopper just came and quoted me $1400 to lop my trees and branches and mulch them all for me.ouch-It will be good but expensive to have it all done, and that big old Hawthorn must go as it is on the new fence line and causes problems with the mower all the time.Every use it gives the mower a flat tire from the long thorns that fall on the ground, they even go through car tires and one branch hangs over the road which isn't good either.
The hawthorn with a unnamed vine in flower crawling through it.

Thumbnail by chookie2

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

March 21, 2012
1:39 AM

Post #9050999

Beautiful rain here,preceded by horrible winds, but everything looks to be hanging up to it.,,I just lit the fire, [why not?ive enough wood here to choke the 'loch ness monster'']Twinged my lower back last night, so taking it a bit gingerly,.,.otherwise, all is well-Anthony
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 21, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9051737

Good morning everyone. Another cool morning but looks as though the sun is trying to shine. I heard Jean coming up the path so will put the kettle on and then get the boys ready for school. I hope everyone is well and hope you all have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 21, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9051755

Good morning everyone. Looks like being a lovely day here later. A bit chilly now , but it is autumn.

Anthony, be careful down there. Backs are so easy to damage. Plenty of rest reading plant catalogues is a good way to be for a day or two.

Chookie, or Sue, (we are usually on first names here once we know each other. ) that hawthorn does look savage. The creeper looks familiar but the name escapes me at the moment. Someone will tell you.
Hope your trees all get done. .

Chrissy, how are things up in your mud palace now ? I hope the mud is drying out so you can get about.
You will have lots of grass to get through now. Watch out for crocodiles and Kats pythons...lol

Dianne, your starfish has been wonderful to watch. I wonder what other marvels will turn up in your garden. One of my epis must be like your cherry. It has a lonely flower. way out of season.

Colleen, the winter hippie is looking good. Most of my usual hippies are still growing, silly things. Dont they know they are supposed to die back now ?
The little seed grown ones are doing well now they are out in pots. They are very easy & fun to grow in water.

Louise, how are those darling girls. You must post a pic of them. Hope you and Hank are doing well. It will be beautiful back in NH.

Charleen are you getting some lovely spring weather . Hugs for Charley & friends.

Moon how are things over your way. Your garden must be a mass of spring flowers .

Teresa, I saw pics of Christchurch the other day. Some things are getting done but it does take a long time to get back to any sort of normal.
How is the dear little Sugarplum ? Still causing havoc ?

I am going out to pot up my new orphan tree fern and put it in the fern house. Have to go around and check all my brug buds and maybe pot a few other seeds too.
Keep safe and well.
Heres a treat for morning tea. ...Pink Lamingtons... a favorite of mine
Happy day,
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 21, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9051872

Good morning. Its great to see you here again Louise. A special good morning to our US girls for sticking with us and helping to make this forum even better.

Rains from the north are expected to reach us today, but they don't seem to have arrived yet. I hope they've spilled most of their waters by now and will do no more than water our gardens. Can only hope.

Colleen, I am so happy that your sister found a use for the "junk" I gave her. They used the magazines to set up a library so people can borrow them for projects. I am so happy to see my beloved magazines end up this way.

Good to see the bees outside on the blossoms. A world of bees is a healthy world. Don't know if I ever said, but my back fence is also part of the side fence of a kindergarten. It is ever so quiet there this morning. Guess they must all be inside having a quiet time. I am rarely disturbed by the sounds of the kids there and don't mind having them there. Better than some adult neighbours sometimes.

Looking down towards the kindy, the golden rain tree is now starting to get the pods its famous for. They will get much bigger and more pinkish as they grow. I love every stage of this beautiful tree, even if we do have to remove dozens of seedlings from the yard every year.

The tiny purple flowers of the Tillandsia Stricta in their pink bracts really put on a show, and I can't wait until this plant forms a clump and gets many flowers at the same time.

Does anyone know their birds? I found this unusual feather, a bit shorter than my thumb, in the tillandsias yesterday, and can't imagine what sort of bird it comes from or the purpose of a feather this shape.

Have a lovely day.
Karen

This message was edited Mar 21, 2012 4:33 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9052618

Oh, yes it is warming up. I need to go get a couple pictures of iris, I have spied while weeding. Temp now is 66 degrees, supposed to be cooler today in the higher 70's , it is cloudy so it really is a beautiful morning.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9052910

We had some nasty storms yesterday...a couple tornadoes within a mile of me...some damage but no injuries. Really thankful for that.

The sun has been trying to peek through the clouds this afternoon.

Hope you all have a fabulous Friday...

Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 22, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9053075

Good morning everyone. A bit more rain here overnight. It was very cold yesterday with a couple of light showers. Hubby says a bit of warmer weather coming but not much. We can look forward to the cold now. brrrrrr..

Hello Charleen and Moon. I hope you two are safe over there. Tornados etc are not good. I wish for lots of sunny spring weather for you .

Louise, keep safe where you are too. Hope your lovely garden is doing well.

Karen, glad you are not too affected by the continuous rain up there.
Yes, its lovely to see the bees out & about around the garden.
I try to have something with flowers for them year round.

Dianne, ddi you get some rain at all ?

Colleen, your yard will be full of brom houses soon. You will have to build up then.

Chookie, hope you got a bit of rain too. Lovely to have all your trees tidied.
I am thinking of putting a vegie garden in the front yard here later. Not a lot but maybe tomatoes and some asian greens.
Nothing much likes growing in one corner because of the cypress and the wattle. I have winter to think it through.

Hello Anthony, making more progress on your computer yet ?
I find the darn things can have minds of their own at times.

Teresa, how is your pretty garden doing ? Hope the mischevious little girl is improving her manners.

Chrissy , are you still making mud pies there ?

I wont be doing much today as it is very cold & windy with more showers. I may get out in the greenhouse for a little potting.
Its usually quite warm in there. A great place to get things done in the colder weather.

Keep safe and dry.
Something yummy for morning tea for you all. ..one of my favorites...Mud Cake...( with lots of cream of course )
Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 22, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9053158

Good morning ladies and Anthony. And Charlie, nuzzles to you too. Hope everyone is doing well today. Bit of a chill here this morning, but only overnight showers to report. The big rains from the north went out to sea so we escaped any flooding this far down near the coast, but they got a lot of rain north and inland.

I found out what my mystery feather was. Its from the crest of a crested pigeon. Poor thing must have hit his head. They take of fast and blindly, and too often hit a wall or tree. Anyway, no exotic new bird around, just the pigeons.

Butterflies are usually colourful but this one is so plain I couldn't help myself, I had to photograph it. I like the "eyes" on the wings, its only adornments.

The second pic is a Quesnelia Tim Plowman bromeliad. We were looking at one in flower on the web, and Barry, not to be outdone, thought ours looked nice with one of my orchids draped over it. Just for a laugh and a for a pretty picture. I wouldn't dare put it in the brom section, they'd shoot me :)

Have a lovely day.
Karen

This message was edited Mar 22, 2012 3:30 PM

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 22, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9053177

Good morning everyone. it's a bit cool and windy here this morning. I do hope that the wind drops at least for tonight. The boys are really excited and Branden reckons he going to get his hair put in a make-believe Mohawk with lots of colours. I'm trying to talk him out of it but I suppose he's not hurting anyone and if he wants to look silly then what am I to say. Hope he dislikes it and will never do it again. Karen I love the pic of Tim Ploughman. Looks great. Am going to be potting up more plants this morning. It seems to be a never-ending job. My Jungle, I'm glad you said that Karen, because that's just what it is at the moment. Everything seems to be getting the water that it needs from the new irrigation plus we've had some nice rains. The roses all need dead-heading again and if it stays this mild I may get another flower out of them before Winter. Must go and do the normal chores. Hope everyone is well.Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 22, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9053235

I thought I'd pop in for a cuppa and cake, but someone ate all the cake...

Karen & Colleen... hmmmmmmmm

Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 22, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9053249

It had all that cream on it Jean, so we know where it went. lol Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 22, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9053272

Ghostly Brian !!!!!!!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

March 23, 2012
3:17 AM

Post #9053595

well funny weather here - shocking rain in the Nth Island, sunny down here after a wet start.
Hope it will stay dry for the weekend as the wicked weasel has been entered in a couple of dog shows.
I had been really pleased that she didn't tear up her bedding, unlike all my other dallies so far...
& then out of the blue she ripped into her mattress & unstuffed it.
Her crate was full of wool, she did a pretty thorough job & all I could do was to bag it all up & dispose of it.
I have repaired the mattress several times - stuffing the wool back in & stitching up the hessian.
I stitched up the cover several times over & the last time I mended it I sewed the cover shut & then put another cover over that & stitched that shut too!
Mind you I must have had the mattress for at least 16 years so I got my money's worth from it :)
Sugar still has the nice wool blankets that I bought at the charity shop so she will be warm enough.
I just have to persuade Copper not to push his bedding up to Sugar's crate as she has a knack of pulling the blankets in through the bars & has shredded a couple this way.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9053731

Good Morning to you all...

Teresa, I went and purchased a canvas painters cloth and made covers for the dog's beds. My Beagle Sophie delights in shredding(making things comfy) her bedding. Thus far she hasn't managed to get a tooth in the canvas. One drop cloth was enough to do all three beds.

Colleen...I had many nice chats with Brian here on DG...it is a pleasant memory when he "sneaks in and gobbles the cream". I do miss his great sense of humor and knowledge.

Happy weekend

Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 23, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9054285

Good morning everyone.
More rain during the night. Lovely for the plants, but if only one could keep it from the weeds.
I must admit, they are slow starters this year after the long dry.
I hope they stay slow , but I have the Roundup ready.

I am intending to pot up some of the larger brug seedlings today. They can join all the big boys down the back.
I have lots of zygos to repot and put back on the shelves too.
They have been sitting on the ground for a month or so as the ants remove the mix so the pots get light and fall off.
I am repotting them in a heavier mix and adding a wire along the front.
Now that the neighbors cat has gone , that will help too as he used to jump about in there after the birds.
I took the door of ages ago for more light and the blackbirds love getting in and looking for bugs.

Hello Moon. a good hint for Teresa. That canvas is tough.
Hope your garden is looking really springlike now.
No more tornadoes around ,hopefully, either.

Teresa, sounds like you have your hands full with the dear little spotty girl.
One day she will be a wise older lady and look down on younger dogs.

Hello Anthony, how are things between you and the computer. Have you showed it who is really boss yet.?...lol

Colleen, I bet Brian is having a good laugh at us as he sneaks all those cyber cakes from the Tea Room.
The winter hippie is getting quite big here now. I am looking forward to the flowers. It put up 2 stems last year.

Karen, I like your quesnelia . The orchid compliments it . Post it on the brom thread, they will love it.
I like the orchid, very pretty.

Dianne, are you getting this rain too ? Its not so cold here this morning, but was freezing in the wind yesterday.
Your brugs will be loving the rain.
Was it you who sent me those pretty scabiosa seeds ? They are still having the odd flower even without much water .
I hope they self seed .

Hello Chrissy and chookie. Hope all is well with you both.

Hello Charleen. How is Charley. I havent seen him for a day or two .
He is usually hanging around out the back for the stale bread ...
Hope your weather is staying nice for you.

Louise , you have gone again. I hope to see a pic or two of the girls and your garden.

Hello to everyone else looking in.

Hers a treat for morning tea. ...nice warm Apple Pie..
no cream , someone ate it all...

Enjoy the weekend.
Happy gardening..
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 23, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9054357

Morning all...

Not much rain at all, Jean...I spent yesterday at the Geelong hospital, Ray had his knee replacement done,
When I left last night, he was wiggling his toes and he hadn't used any pain killer at all...
Amazing...I daresay he might be sore today, because he starts the physio...the usual stay is 8 days then off to a rehab facility if needed...he plans on coming home in 6...we'll see.

Back later.
Dianne.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 23, 2012

Post #9054362

Good morning everyone. It got very warm yesterday afternoon but back to chilly this morning.

Nothing to report today, so just wanted to say hello. Have a nice day.

Karen
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

March 23, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9054381

Good morning all,
Lovely heavy rain last night and some yesterday too so garden is thankful and my tanks have a few more rungs full.
Dianne I wish your husband well I know getting out once you are in is topmost in most people's thought - wish him well for me.
Jean I didn't have my rain gauge out but we had a good bit in the last 24 hours did you?
I am guessing about 20mm.

What about considering a no dig vegie patch on top of the soil rather than digging it ? - then the trees wouldn't have such an effect, although you may need weed mat to stop their roots from travelling into it. I have just put a new one beside the almond trees on the west side where it will get afternoon sun - a bit of a problem finding enough sunny spots here with all the shade thrown by the big trees. I have planted broad beans and mustard in it for now and will dig them in when I get a few beans off- don't eat that many so the first few will do me - then I will dig it all in. I layered cardboard on the bottom , then manure, straw, compost and soil and surrounded it with old fence posts to hold it in. In Spring it will be my tomato bed.

I just discovered my tree onions are on the Australian weed list so I am going to rip them out and compost them in my water barrel where I compost seedy weeds in water to make liquid manure, that way there will be no seeds in the compost. They are increasing themselves all the time though not outrageously, so I should have known they may be a problem, I just didn't think about it at all- oops. duh Sue!
http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedident.cgitpl=region2.tpl&seen=50&rltv=114&state=vic&s=®ion=scp

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 23, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9054384

Good morning everyone. The wind was a bit of a pain last night for the boys Gala night but we rugged up well and we had a good night. Branden got his paint-on mohawk and he was so excited. Cameren got a face painting. They had a good time and were really tired when we got home from racing around everywhere. They didn't take long to wander off to bed and had a bit of a sleep in this morning so are rearing to go this morning. Have to go down the street later and then might go to the playground for a while. The sun is shining out there but still a bit nippy. Jean I'm sure that Brian, with his sense of humour, would appreciate us remembering his love of cream. Jeanne I'm glad that you have fond memories of a champion bloke. I miss him terribly. He would be having fun with all the new brugs that are coming now. I wonder whether he would have managed to graft some yet? We're all still in our PJ's so had better move and get dressed. Hope everyone is well. Colleen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 23, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9054402

Chookie, You got a picture of the tree onion?? I've not heard of it. i have a Pregnant Onion and a sea onion but not a tree.
Jean, Charley said, since all you had was stale bread he just "go to his house and wait for a donut or sweet cake>" How about that??? We are going to tear this down but He has been standing in it. Don't know about my goofy mule..
You all have a great weekend.
My Telephone was giving me problems that is why I had no internet there for a day.
Hugs and mule nuzzles to all.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 23, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9054483

hello All...
Colleen, is Brian's daughter still doing woodcarvings? He was very proud of some she made for him.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend. I have had a couple more Irises bloom...a noid bearded and a native Fulva

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 23, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9054506

Jeanne, Chris is having a bit of trouble dealing with her feelings with the deaths in her family still. She has not only lost Brian but her Mother and 2 brothers. She can't seem to get herself motivated to do any more carving at the moment although she did tell me that she spotted a piece of wood the other day that she though might turn into something nice. I love the little bug on the Fulva. Colleen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

March 23, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9054565

I can imagine what she is going through Colleen,.,.It feels like doesnt seem to stop ...Which is something i cant seem to do-stop-,..,I entered my 1st dahlia today at the Lindisfarne show,..,a couple of floral art entries and a potted cobra lily...I'll go back over later and see how i went,.,The head judge nearly collapsed when she saw me with my floral art entries .Ithink she likes them so much, that she prays to god..Ah well,i think they best lighten up a little, because the general public seem to love them,.,.I will snap a couple of pics later-Anthony
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

March 24, 2012
1:53 AM

Post #9054810

isn't it strange how you can miss someone that you never met???
I will be doing something in the garden or see succulents & cactus growing & think of Brian.
He had so much knowledge to share on so many subjects, we were all the richer for knowing him however tenuous the link.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9054941

Wow, Bless her heart...that is a lot for anyone to absorb...do please tell her how very proud Brian was of her and her woodworking. Perhaps she can find some solace there...

I agree Teresa. But, when you chat online like we all do, the folks you chat with become very real people to you. You get to know the "mundane" part of them in everyday life, and occasionally see the small traits and quirks that are unique to them. I have discovered more people that refer to "their on-line friends/family" with the same convictions that they have for the friends they see face to face. I read an article a while back that interviewed people about their internet use...so many of them stated that they would be lost without their connection to other folks on-line.

Anthony...I am looking forward to your floral art pics...you have a true sense of humor and joie de vivre in them.

Have a lovely Sunday

Moon/Jeanne

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9055349

Hello again, from 90 degree Florida. I didn't really go away, Jean...just had to evaporate for a bit. I do agree with Jeanne that our online friends are just as "real" as our physically present friends. And yet, it does seem strange that we have not really met. When we attended our first DG gathering in New England, it was so interesting to find out that there was no difference in my DG friends from what I expected, and I think it is because of what Jeanne said.

Colleen - i cannot imagine how Brian's daughter, Chris, must feel with so many significant losses all so close in time. I would think it will take her quite awhile to rebound. Whenever I tend to our citrus trees here, I think of Brian and how much help he gave us with his advice.

Jean, dianne, Karen and Chrissy - your kind words of welcome home were greatly appreciated. I am on the mend and hoping not to be away so long again. I wish I could post some photos, but i have only my ipad to use right now, and DG won't work with ipad photos. Jean, Hank is doing quite well, thank you, and our puppy girls are just wonderful, still full of fun and sweet as sugar, except when they are barking at the cats that love to torment them by rolling around in our front yard in plain view of them. I have nose prints all over our front window that have to be continually cleaned.

We are ready to head up north, but still have 3+ more weeks to go here, then I will have to disappear for awhile again temporarily. Charleen, Dear, your bracelets have kept me company all winter...just lovely.

Have a lovely day, my friends...
Louise

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9055356

More a "meeting of the minds" so to speak...grin
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 24, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9055506

Good morning everyone. Finally , I can see outside the window. It was so dark here when we got up.
Daylight saving has no value when it goes on so long. It should have ended weeks ago.
Looks like another lovely day after a chilly morning like yesterday.
I had the small heater on yesterday morning until the sun got up.
The rest of the day then turned warm enough to be without a jumper.

Hello Louise..I hope you are feeling so much better now. I can just see those two darling girls going mad at the window. Cats can be such a tease when they want.
I hope thing get better for you so you can come in and join us more often.
I really should dust off the carpet. We havent had a trip anywhere much since we came to you.
Maybe a winter trip would do us all good later.

Charleen, love Charley standing in his shed. I can imagine him sulking when there was only stale bread here for him.
There are now some fresh cookies, if hes quick enough. I saw a few feathers so maybe Kaitlin & friends have beaten him.

Moon, hope all is well weather wise near you. Very pretty flower pics.
I enjoy seeing you all in here . Being in a country area , I dont see many people but DG is full of my friends. .
Its even nicer when you all pop in from overseas , giving us your news and joining in the general chat.

Anthony, I hope you won prizes with your entries in the dahlia show. I would care what some people think.
We love your creations and so do the people coming to the shows.. Some judges in shows dont know good from yuk.

Teresa, how are things going for you over there ? I always have a bit of a smile when hearing about Sugars antics.
I have been down that puppy trail many times over the years.
It can be frustrating , but very funny at times.
She will soon be ladylike.

Dianne, so glad Ray is feeling better. Get a big stick handy. You know what men are like as patients . They dont have any ( patience , that is...lol )
Seriously, he will feel much better. A friend of mine had the same thing and was able to to do a lot more than he had been able to .
Hope you got some of that lovely sun yesterday too.

Colleen, so sad for Brians daughter to lose so many family members.
Sounds like she is beginning to return to her happy self. If she can see something that is in a piece of wood, her mind is healing.
Once she starts to carve again, she will find it a healing process.

Chookie, how are your trees going there. It will change the look of the place when some are cut back or removed.
You must be excited each day, to see what new things you can do..

Karen, how are you going up there. I hope things are drying out. I know you have a wet season , but not that wet.
You should have a nice dry and sunny winter.
We may all want to move up there with you once the cold really gets set in here.

I am going to start on my clipping today, when the sun comes out.
I need to get things cut back so the bulbs can see where they are.
Lots of overgrown plants around. The cottage garden area will be cut to the ground as it has just gone wild. I forget what half the plants are in there under everything. .
Looking out the window here, it is cold and foggy. I think I just may stay in for another cuppa .
I'll wait until the sun gets around to making its way through the fog.

Have a great day and enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Try this Chocolate Coconut Cake..

. we have moved to here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1248493/

Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2012

Post #9055573

I think one of the best descriptions of the internet, DG and forums similar to DG is, A Global Village.. 20+ years ago,prior to sites like this, very few folks could say they exchanged, thoughts, ideas and information with acquaintances/friends around the world. It delights me to no end to see a Grandmother in Romania give recipes to a Grandmother in Louisiana...or a woman in rural Australia identify a plant growing in a yard in India, or share teenager war-stories with friends scattered all across the United States...for all the ills and evils, it has done something great and good.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9055653

You have said it so eloquently, Jeanne!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

March 25, 2012
12:44 AM

Post #9055953

well Sugar had her second day showing this weekend & it was an early start - 8.30 judging.
She was a wee wriggle bum at first but settled by the time we went back for Group judging.
She was so well behaved I held out hopes that the judge might pick her to go on to the in show line up but the same great dane as yesterday won the class.
he is a nice dog, Sugar beat him last show but in the month since he has developed & is very well trained, moves really well & stands like a rock...
I don't mind being beaten by a good dog.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

March 25, 2012
3:01 AM

Post #9055994

I won-best mens floral art exhibit,..,1st in novice 'collarette dahlia'-STARFIRE- a very striking dahlia,..,+ a few places in cut flowers,..,.,not a cracker in open floral art,.,.but who cares, you had to be there!!! ,.lost control of a 40 y/o, 1/2 bottle[remy brandy] and it smashed on the floor,.,.things could have been worse...it could have still been full of brandy,.,.,.and the biggest dis appointment is i cant work the pictures bit of this 'STUPID' computer ,to work like the old computer did,./..,.,/.and im really getting p-d off with it,.and have absolutely no idea how to load the 45 pics i took on the weekend.,.Howler, i will get them out somehow---may have to get Mr toothbrush personality back here to -educate me-,.,.,.How sad.. everything is getting so complicated to operate[computer/parking meter/telephone/television]

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9056175

Nothing like a new computer to make ya feel like a dinosaur, Anthony..GRIN Congrats on your wins...sounds like the judges don't recognize an "artistic statement" when they see one.

Good on Sugar, Teresa. Taking a backseat to a good dog is no snub. She is young and I am sure she has lots of First's in her future.

Hope you all had a good weekend. Off to work in the garden...

Some brownies to nibble while waiting for the kettle to heat up.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9056220

Congratulations, Anthony...that is terrific. I know just what you mean about computer frustration!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9056260

Good morning Louise. I guess this finds you sorting and packing for the trip home in a couple weeks. Seems like there is always so much to do and so much that can only be done just before you leave. Looks like there may be one more cold spell for NH before winter finally ends. My friend in MA says they are looking at some cold nights this coming week...possible 20's. I am sure things have warmed up nicely there in FLA. Have you gotten lots of rain lately?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 25, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9056590

Hey everyone, we moved . Didnt you miss the morning tea ?
Come over or everything will be eaten.
We are here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1248493/
Jean.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America