Photo by Melody

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: Spring is Just Around the Corner March Chat

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 172, Views: 816
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9026238

Our measly 6" of snowfall February 19th was only a memory after a couple of days when our temps warmed up...once again.

Around here, March Came In Like A Lion with strong winds, thunderstorms, and tornado warnings overnight. Thankfully we had no damage, only buckets of rain.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9026246

Me first!!! yeehaw :)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9026250

Spoken like a true Texan!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9026259

Fruity... did you get my d-mail??
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9026266

Last night I did and answered. Don't have a new one from you today.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9026271

Me second? Giddyup!

I'm loving all the flower pictures. I'm a little late getting all the bulbs/tubers in the ground, but our weather has been such a yoyo (not as much as yours Fruity!!!) and we've had an abundance of the wet stuff. The bulbs and tubers are spreading out in their storage.

Anyone ever cold-crashed bulbs? And then forgot about them in the freezer for a couple of days? :(

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9026513

Carey, oh no! LOL I think I did that with some cold start seeds, found them about a year later.. mushy..

those crocus and primrose on previous page are beautiful!
storms here too last night and night before, but nothing wet landed here, or cold either. Joe dug up the vegetable gardens, my tomatoe plants are ready to go in, but I am waiting until April 15th.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2012
1:41 AM

Post #9026662

I am here!
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9026790

Sun is shining here today. I see that the wet snow has helped my crocus to pop up!

Erin

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9026829

Debra, I'm depressed about them too. They were some daffs I found on ebay with double blooms and highly fragrant varieties (I love smelly stuff!). It's been too warm already to try to order any more online so I'll have to try in the fall.

Of course, the paperwhite bulbs that broke ground were starting to get nibbled. I was getting mad at the squirrels when I went outside last and found a big 'ol ugly fat caterpillar happily munching my daffs to the ground. YUCK. I put him in the big garbage bin. Hopefully he was the only one!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9026919

Here is a pic of my itsy, bitsy, teeny, weeny, yellow ... daffodil !!! lol I just moved a bunch of them from one flowerbed to along my sidewalk, not expecting them to bloom this year. BUT ... in fact a bunch of them are blooming! lol You can see how short they are and the blooms are tiny, but so cute!

Thumbnail by Crit

irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9026925

I have some of those Crit! Mine are 'Tete e tete' and I buy pots of them every spring and plant them!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9026964

I don't think these are that. Last year they were all real tall with big flowers. I just dug some of them up and moved them. I believe I probably stunted them when I moved them, and they will be back to normal next year. The ones I left in that bed are all big.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9026985

Patti maybe that's what happened to my paperwhite bulbs. They were two feet tall over Christmas last year, but since I only just put them in the ground last month...they're rather stunted as well.
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9027062

Serious storms here...marble and pea size hail, lots of wind, rain, thunder, lightening...I can't look outside or I'll crawl under my desk! I really don't like the storms. Tornado 'watch' in effect until 7PM.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9027087

I am here!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9027111

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY FRIENDS HOPE YOU SEE THIS :) JSX HAVE MISSED YOUR POST ARE YOU STILL WITH US :::
jsxtiger
Bettypauze
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9027141

Nasty storms in Alabama...Elfie you ok???

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9027151

Praying for everyone to stay safe!
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9027368

Just got home from errands and I feel that spring is really here. There are blooms everywhere. The Lantana in everycolor and paperwhites. I got such a late start last fall that I feel way behind. All my plants are so tiny still. When the winds not blowing it is warm and beautiful.
I hope everyone is safe and will keep sending prayers and positive thoughts.
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9027450

Watching the news tonight. Praying for all those affected in the storms.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9027553

Hey Erin, I picked up a few more bags of seed starting mix today and a jug of Preen. Now I'm ready to go again.

You just reminded me, Robyn, to rob a few Lantanas from my girlfriend down the road. Hers are so pretty every year. She also has lots of Beefsteak Perilla that pop up around the perimeter of her property. They're fun to add to my hanging baskets for color, but wouldn't dare unleash them in the gardens. I have enough Henbit and other Winter weeds as it is.

I called our Elfie late this afternoon. We mainly gabbed about our RU in June. She's at their old homeplace planning to dig up plants tomorrow to take to their new digs. Isn't she stopping to see you Sunday, Crystal? She didn't mention any impending storms, and I forgot to ask if she has an internet connection.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9027600

Hey all,,
I am at my daughters house with Gryphon and Goober!!

No rain so far,, I think I dodged the storms,, but we are under a tornado watch. We dug up all my herbs and repotted them to be moved,, also dug up hen and chicks and sedums, tomorrow we will dig up, cannas, elfen thyme, some iris, lilies, passion fruit vines and I am going to be digging up delhias,. Of course this is all contingent on the weather not turning to bad on us.

Every one knows I will not drive where there is rain ,,, lol
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9027648

I enjoyed our chat, Elfie. We have bad storms predicted to hit between 2-5 AM, including tornado watches. I'm a sound sleeper but hubby isn't and know he'll be up multiple times during the night. All three cats are in the garage piled up on an old comforter, sleeping together as cozy as bugs in a rug.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9027656

I will be sleeping at DD house, so no one needs to worry about me being alone tonight!!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9027723

Keep us posted Elfie - glad you are getting to rescue your dearies from the house.

See you soon. :D

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 2, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9027788

Elfie, Hope to hear from you about whether you are coming by or want me to meet you somewhere?I do not know what each day may bring. My sister is having a lot of bad days.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 2, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9027792

Have any of you tried the DG journal? I have tried to get into it twice, but it makes no sense to me. I thought it would be a place you could make notes on what was going on in the garden, but so far I see no place for that. It looks like all you can do is set up categories of a word or 2 and if that is the way it is, it is worthless to me. I tried reading the help section but still did not see anywhere to actually record anything. What good is a journal you cannot write in. Maybe I am just missing the whole point? I tried looking at a couple of other people's journals and it all just looked like one word entry , or sort of lists.
Can anyone provide any insight in this for me?
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2012
10:01 PM

Post #9027836

That sounds like the journals I have looked at. I read and keep a blog. That is where I keep track of what I've done and what I want to do. I find alot of the blogs to be fun and informational.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
12:41 AM

Post #9027871

Crystal,, I am hoping to see you on Sunday afternoon. Sending dmail now

momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9027922

Taking the kids out to lunch at Applebee's and going to see The Lorax. Should be fun. Max's first time in a theater. Anna's second time, they are both super excited that Mommy and Daddy are going . DH usually works 7 days a week. Have a great day all! =)

Erin

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9027985

True - the blog is where it's at if you just want to make observations about what's going on in the garden.

Every year I keep a paper journal in a notebook of what I plant. I usually draw a map too.

This season I couldn't find my little notebook I'd been using and had to start without it so I started using the journal. I'd looked at some other members' journals and they looked so complicated it sorta scared me, but it's really easy to use.

I am using it to maintain my records now of what I've sown and when. You can add notes to each entry as things progress.

I also use the blog for when I need to talk to myself. :)

There's plenty of toys here to play with and keep me busy. Too bad I can't get paid for it. I will receive my pay when the flowers are blooming and I stand in the middle of the yard in awe.

have a pleasant day.

A.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9028170

Hoping everyone is safe and sound from the storms around the country the last couple of days. We have some gardeners from Anchorage, AK on here. I saw on the news a church roof collapsed from the snow with people inside! How horrifying. I've been through a tornado too. No fun!

Imagining A. standing in her gardens looking around in awe. :-)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9028227

Love you P. :)

A.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9028317

>3 you too A. :-)

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 3, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9028345

Thanks for those couple insights into the journal and blog.
I did start a blog, have not had time to look at other folk's blog. I did finally get to a place on that journal where you could add a plant at a time, but think that is too cumbersome for me. Believe paper notebook is better. Might be the Ludite in me tho. Sometimes it is just simpler to go on in the old way with pen and paper than to deal with all this electronic gibberish.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9028431

Hoping everyone stays safe!

Crystal - I use the journal to keep track of each of my plants, from year to year. I put in short sentences along with photos of each plant. I am behind and have a ton of photos to add, but that is how it goes for me.

Amanda is right - the blog function I think is what you are looking for. That is more of a diary type thing.

I have found that I can set up as many blogs and journals as I would like. I have even gone so far as to journal different recipes that I have found online as well.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9028517

Worked all day cleaning the house, then dug up plants. And dug and dug and dug!!

I know that I was told that I planted my deliahas wrong,,, but when I went to dig them up out of the mucky mess of a front garden bed. However,, I sure wish I remembered to take my camera,, the tubers were growing above ground and they were in a huge cluster abound 2 foot across!! These were the dinner plate ones that Deejay /Susie. Sent me for a spring swap in 2010.

I will try to get some pictures of them tomorrow. I am worn out...sigh

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9028700

Good luck in that mud, Elfie.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9028786

Just woke up from a nap..feel like I need one more!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9028798

Ohhhhhhhh, mucky mud! Sounds like fun for an Elf. lol

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9028801

There are tons more plants...sigh
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9028821

Wish I was closer, I would come help you. 'Course, you may be short a few plants when I left. lol

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9028823

Wish you were here too!! And you could take what you like.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9028834

Mapping how far it is to your place NOW! :-)

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9028848

Lol

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9028882

Glad to hear everyone made it through the storms safely!

I went to a community garden sale this morning and picked up some fun tomato plants, tomatillos, peppers and some herbs. After that I was made real pretty by a 'celebrity make-up artist'. DH and I went out to dinner to celebrate! :)

Thumbnail by careyana

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9028891

Beautiful pic ... and great reason to have a dinner date!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9028912

Aw thanks Patti! :) DH kept staring at me when I came home, so I guess I must've looked pretty nice! lol
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9028918

You're SO pretty, Carey!

If your Dahlias are growing in the mucky muck, Elfie, don't change a thing. Unless you want to save a few tubers for me when we get together for our Spring RU.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9028930

Dug them up,,fruity,, but will save you a couple if I can figure out how,,lol

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 3, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9028935

Was 80 degrees here yesterday, but about 60 today. The warm temps along with the rain (0.9 in) have really brought everything along.
I tried to add some photos but either my computer or my connection is so slow it timed out. My native azaleas have buds that are really swelling. I have a few flowers open on some of my hort.azaleas, my dogwood nearest the house is trying to open (it is warmer there). I have blueberry blooms open. Wish u could see (sigh)

Thumbnail by goldhillal

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9028937

Crystal..u up?

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 3, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9028940

yup

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9028945

Can I call

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 3, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9028951

Sending you a Dmail, Elfie

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 3, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9028953

sure
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9028965

Thanks, Elfie.

We've been in a yo-yo weather patten all Winter, the little Winter we've had. Can you believe after a round of potential tornadoes last night that thankfully missed us and many friends around me, we're supposed to have snow flurries tomorrow?

Amaryllis "Blossom Peacock" is strutting her stuff again upstairs. DH even commented how nice it is to see 'something' blooming inside.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9028967

wow A LOT really nice bloom pics. Crystal, what is that beautiful tree?
Susan, found an Elvis with three blooms almost two ft tall for 29.99, but passed. thought of you , tho.
I havn't done dinner plates for a long time.
Beautiful gal you are Caryanna!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 3, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9028989

It's a dogwood trying to open

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9028993

Awwww thanks Fruity! [[[[[HUGS]]]]]

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9028995

Debra too! Y'all are good for my ego! lol :)

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 4, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9029147

What is an Elvis?

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9029174

Morning. Just a little more work this morning. Then home I go. Talk to everyone tonight.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9029320

Morning all,

Carey - you are so pretty! What a beautiful picture! I hope you and DH had a great time out.

I was wondering what an Elvis is too.

Elfie - here are instructions on dividing dahlia tubers. This link is for those of us in the northern areas that need to dig and store our tubers for the winter. Although you don't need to do this - the division part is still the same. I have found that it is not always an easy task to find the eyes on the tubers. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/662385/

Susan - we have had the strangest weather as well. Cold today, but they are calling for high 50's to low 60's this week. I am hoping to get our pond up and running next weekend.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9029381

The Elvis I have is a Amaryllis, but I also have a hosta named that... ;)

I dmailed one of the vendors and this is what he told me Daves' Garden is going to shut down the plant market in a month or so. I know change will come, but darn. Glad I got a hold of him, I have wanted a Gunnera manicata forever. They are way cool to cast in concrete. So if there is anyone you are interested in better get info from them quickly.

Carolyn, that is a nice journal, I have been working on mine, but nothing as big as yours, very nice.

We had 70 on Thursday and snow on Friday, just cracks me up.
Everything is popping up daffs, and things but no blooms yet. Next week is going to be yo yo weather again. Course weekends are always cold, imagine that...rofl.

Worry about you all down south with all that bad weather.

Have to clean out the car today no matter what the temps, so I am waiting until late late late.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9029532

Was in the 70's yesterday and suppose to be so for the next several days. Would be perfect if the darn wind wasn't bloweing so hard! Still nice to be outside. I'm planting flats and ws jugs. Nights still get to the 30's and 40's.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9029599

Just checking in. I am home!!
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9029651

Hey, Debra- son says the celosia are getting their 3rd set of leaves, so I can send some probably in the next week or two.. I'll add a pic of the plants from last summer, so you'll know what they're going to look like.

Does anybody have any suggestion on how to mail these stupid plants?? It's not like I can pull one up and wrap it..it'll have to come up in like 2-3 inch squares of potting soil and each square will have 10-20 little plants LOL.. he says he figures there are about 2000 plants now :-)

And the 2nd pic is of the giant 'planters' downtown that I mentioned before..that they threw away all the plants at the end of the summer. There were a lot of plants thrown out that day :(

edited to add: the planter pic was taken from above on the Skywalk. The tree in the middle of the planter is just that- a tree that's about 5-6 ft tall :) Gives you an idea of how big these things really are!

This message was edited Mar 4, 2012 2:33 PM

Thumbnail by ClanCampbell   Thumbnail by ClanCampbell
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9029832

Happ --

Thank you. I am quite far behind in my journalling. Makes me wonder how much room we have with these journals.

Chris - I am thinking that shipping a chunk of the seedlings would ship, like you mentioned, it isn't like you could split them up by the plants.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9029879

Chris >>>> would a chunk wedge into a empty toilet paper roll? then just tape up top and bottom and send in small priority mail box. You could probly fit 4 to 5 rolls per box that way. And I would love to buy some from him too??

Carolyn,, thanks for the link. It will help me figure this out.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9029959

Kris, I'm not sure.. I'll have to try it and see how they fit in there. It might work if Shawn cuts them into a small enough chunk. And definitely you can have some too :)

Once we're closer to sending them out, I'll dmail you. He's out of town all this week working, so it will be next week at the earliest.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9030158

marketplace is hutting down? boo! I have wanted one of those gunneras to. got some seeds to start one, but would rather have a plant.

The way I would send those crowded seedlings is cut the chunk, wrap the bottom in wet newspaper and scruch a bit of paper up and put in a baggie, the scrunched paper would kee the moisture from burning leaves. then you could put in a flat rate box.
Joe planted beets, I planted spinach, cukes, peas, cilantro, tomato, and another tow hundred seeds of various sorts out in the newly re designed arden beds against the house. he has his yukon gold potatoe sets out ripening and will plant them tuesday. meanwhile, I have all these other seedlings wiaiting for a more steady few weeks of warm time.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 5, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9030346

Undoubtably, it already is, I can't find it. Did they give a reason? I looking and occasionaly ordering things from people. Although I have noticed lately that is is mostly one or two people with businesses that have the plants on there, so maybe that is why...
momoftwo607
Nineveh, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9030532

Just had my first robin at my feeder!!! he was a fat one!

Thumbnail by momoftwo607

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9030562

Carolyn22 wrote:

I was wondering what an Elvis is too.

Carolyn - Elvis is some guy who started making records in the 50's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_Presley

A.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9030748

Chris ... LOVE the pic of the celosia. I had some of those last year, and saved some of the heads to hopefully get seeds from. The flowers that were still blooming STILL have their color! Makes me think they would do good in a dried flower arrangement. I know someone sent me the seeds but don't remember who. I thought those were cocks comb, or is that a variety of celosia? I would love to have some starts if that is possible.

LOL A. You are STILL a hoot!!!!!

Need to refill my bird feeders and finish up my WS'ing jugs. Have a great day everyone!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9030850

Patti I think I sent you some tall skinny celosia called Flamingo Feather. Had pink and green foliage. There are many celosias but the one Chris has is probably the true kind of cockscomb. Very striking! One of Court's favorites.

I am taking good care of myself and having ice cream and cookies for lunch. Then maybe a nap. :)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9031059

Hmmmmm, that celosia must not of survived our summer. I don't remember it.

Great lunch! I had cookies and Pepsi
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9031257

I had potato chips and a coke. Boy, we are all so health conscouse! Oh, and I had a donut for desert. Yum
On a different note. The town my mom grew up in in Kansas was hit last Tuesday night by a tornado. From what we've heard, my grandparents house in town is gone. Thank goodness, only 11 injuries and only one is critical.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 5, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9031615

I thought I would update you on the shooting. They've decided to charge the mother and her boyfriend in regards to the gun the boy used. The gun belonged to the boyfriend and there were several loaded and unsecured guns lying around the house. The mother, who is a felon, will also be charged for unlawful possession of a gun.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9031644

Manda, I too think the Cockscomb in Chris' photo is the old-fashioned variety and is one of hubby's favs. They do make good dried flowers, Patti.

Is Celosia related to Love Lies Bleeding and other Amaranths?

Rarely do I eat breakfast unless it a piece of fruit. The oranges were so good this morning, I ate two. We had Salmon patties for lunch on toast slathered with mustard, and I made a big pot of homemade chicken stew for supper. MMM good, and put several containers in the freezer for a rainy day.

I hate to hear that, Ang, but it's what I thought would happen. Have they taken the boy out of the home, where is he now?

Most of the Little Pear tomato, burpless cukes, and zuke seeds I just planted last Thursday are up! Still waiting for the peppers that probably won't be up for a couple of weeks. But I'm a happy camper, so much so I started a few annual flowering seeds today in addition to the Coleus that haven't done a thing. There's nothing like seeing a few green spouts for motivation.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 5, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9031653

I believe he is under house arrest at his fathers house. His uncle is his legal guardian and he lives with the boys father. Neither parents have custody. I believe the prosecutor is seeking probation and treatment for the boy but I really hope they look into his home life. He was planning on running away and felt he needed a gun to do so. What on earth did he think he needed to run away from? Was it the adults in the home, his mothers home or someone else?

On a happier note, my son turns 10 tomorrow. I'm a bit blue. 10 years ago I was sitting in the hospital being prepped to be induced. The next day, at 5:40pm my son was born.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2012
11:24 PM

Post #9031750

Ang-Happy birthday to your son. 10 is a great age.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 6, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9031882

These cockscombs are beautiful dried. I have used them in both arrangements and wreaths. The trouble with them is that they make so many seed that you have to keep hoeing the seedlings out. Same with the variety known as Prince Feathers. I bet it is the same with all celosias. Another one that reseeds to being a nuisance is Amaranthus.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9032064

I have two healthy plumeria seedlings and my harry potter adeniums are now germinating. I also have a 6 pots of hibiscus (most likely hardy), 1 of kenaf, 1 of golden jubilee agastache, 1 of apache sunset agastache, 1 of anise hyssop, debras "fuchsia" which may be 4 oclocks and some seeds that I, uh, wound up with from Mary Bridge which look like 4 oclock seeds.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9032676

Happy Birthday to your son, Ang! I am glad he is ok. I sent out amaranthus, celosia and cockscombs in my seed bags of mixed seeds.. hope someones get some action.
I am looking for the christmas amaranthus. those are too pretty.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9032852

Happy Birthday to your son Ang! If you want, the Brom I picked up for you last year is more than big enough to be separated. The mother is almost toast, but the two pups are just as big and should be ready to bloom next year! I think. Is it 2 or 3 years that they need to age?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2012
1:19 AM

Post #9032917

Happy Birthday to your son Ang.

They grow so quickly don't they? My youngest just turned 25! Where does the time go?
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9033299

Hope your son had a great birthday Ang.

I've been planting some canna and other seeds. My flats are starting to sprout and I havw 2 of the canna up, so the others should be popping up anytime now too.

I set out some ws'ing jugs, which may just be outside planters with the weather we have been having! lol I need to go take a peek at them.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 8, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9035152

My son had a very good birthday but unfortunately all the adults got sick for some reason. Not sure why but thankfully he was unaffected by it.

In gardening news:
I moved the Cannas FOTV sent me to another location. They will like it much better there.
I ordered two honeysuckle plants, Major Wheeler and Dropmore Scarlet(?). I have two thriving plants but I'm not sure what they are.
I bought a bag of clematis plants from Costco. Can't remember names but there were 4 plants - two red and two white.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9036868

Well hopefully everyone is feeling better. One time I baked cookies for my group, and early one morning one of the guys called me (I get in around 6am) and said he was in the hospital that the cookies had made him sick, I about croaked! I thought OMG the entire office will be sick, then thought wait I'm not sick and ate them...he was in the hospital with a kidney stone, I told him I was calling the nurse and they were stopping his meds...! rofl.

Said I wasn't going to buy any plants, well that didn't last long and I spent too much but it is one I have wanted forever! It is a Giant Gunnera plant. I didn't want seeds cause I am not too great with seeds and I want it started now...rofl. So excited! I want to cast them in concrete. Now I want to find some white concrete...so excited!

Have I said I am excited...rofl

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9036882

Happ I'm just curious. Are you a little excited by your gunnera find? ;)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9036889

rofl...just a little, I will be alot more excited once it is growing huge...fingers crossed.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9036939

Happ I've seen one of those plants in the garden at Mary Bridge. It's HUGE!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9036949

I saw a casting of one of the leaves in a magazine and I have wanted one of those forever. I have seen one live plant on the water garden tour and I was trying to nicely see if the guy would offer me a start and the plant was also mammoth, but sadly he did not. They need lots of moisture and we send our grey water out into the field, I have hibiscus there, along with yellow water iris, and now this big boy will go there. They are only viable to zone 7 so I will have to dig up starts and keep over winter...fun...

The grass in horrible in the grey area but maybe someday I will get it beat down around the plants, I have been dumping huge amounts of grass clippings around the hibiscus so the grass doesn't take them over and then weed eating the rest of the grass. Thought about painting weed killer on the grass around the plants but hate using that unless I have to.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9036964

Happ I have to agree with you there. Rose Rosette has started to attack plants here in Texas so I'm getting concerned about the few that made it through last summer. The trench that I'm digging in front of the house has a lot of smaller tree root going through it, most of which I've removed. Unfortunately, on root was a little bigger than the others and is from a Live Oak. At some point in the past the root had been damaged before (maybe the last time I tried to dig out the front?) and had started to sucker excessively at that point. I didn't want to do it, but knew the only way to stop that tree from growing under the foundation was to drill into it and pour roundup. I did that on Thursday morning...and it's now rained for almost three straight days (it started Thursday night) so now the entire trench that I've dug up is flooded with roundup water. Ugh.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9036971

Oh Carey, all that hard work and a whole ditch withy roundup. That is usually what happens to me, I think I do everything the way you are suppose to and walla, something odd happens.

Hope the run off doesn't get on anything you want. Dang.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9037061

The water won't go anywhere for a while. It's all clay soil so those puddles will hang around for a few days. It's not so bad, I'm not quite done digging and this lets me know I need to do more work with the drainage. lol!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2012
10:40 PM

Post #9037644

Joyce, I had to get a Gunnera too, been wanting one for a long time, Going to put one down by the water at son's lake and one by the pond out back..
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 11, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9038810

Have had my plate full for a little while. My friend and I rushed to get plants potted for a flea market this weekend and Well we didn't get to do the flea market because of orientation at college. That meant the trailer would have to go up Wed. night and Thruesday all day the trailer would be out in the sun and the plants would fry. It turned out ok but the money part from the flea market sales because it rained friday night, sat and today. We wouldn't have had any customers any way. Hopefully next month things will work out.
The news I got Thursday night at orientation for Payroll Specialist was great news. Only 25 people showed up for the payroll specialist class and they had 25 spots available for grants. The GREAT NEWS is that between 3 different grants it will be paid for 100%. Yeah!!!! Not only that BUT drum roll please...They are giving us a 3 day Sat class in June with a test to become Nationally Certified Payroll Specialist anywhere in the U.S. That alone was to be 295 dollars but one of the grants will pay for it too. They told us people who go to 2 yr accounting degrees will not have that certification. I am so excited I could pop. Now if my brain will kick in I can fly through this and have my National Certification. I really need this to go through as my son and his friend (renter) moved out this past weekend. I am not sure I will be able to keep my house as I had to put a roof on it and must pay 200 a month on that and have some teeth work I absolutely have to have done as I don't have many molars left and so much for them leaving the food in the pantry or the refridge and freezer.. Oh well I am going to try to get a renter but that is scarey. I know I will do a back ground and credit check and have to have 3 rental references. Not just friends. I don't know where to start as I really am afraid to do this.

If I have to sell and give up my yard I will just have too, I can't see any other way. But 1 thing I do know my son will not move back in...

Thanks everyone for being here for me. I know this is a safe place I can come. :) (((((HUGS)))))

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9038871

Sandy... (((( hugs))))

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9039301

Sandy just make sure to take care of YOU! {{{{HUGS}}}}

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9041515

well after a short nap this afternoon then got super on & took super over to the neighbors & Now its time for my evening coffee & watch the news while chatting for a bit :)
Happ I Tried a Gunnera Here about 3 yrs ago it died guess just not enough water for it . Jim is planning to put in a small pond for my duck so maybe that might work.
got to go sit with daddy while jim & Jan go for their walk back soon missed ya all
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9041573

I have lots of marigold seeds coming in the mail from IL and now I have some Monarda coming too :D The hummingbirds won't be without their bee balm this year :D

Some Oxalis "tubers(?)" I received are starting to pop up next to my Iron Cross. I'll have lots of Oxalis :D
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9041623

Susie, it doesn't sound like you are resting. I'm so glad you're home and feeling better. I got about half my seeds in the ground and then ran out of plant markers. Hopefully I'll finish tomorrow and be seeing sprouts in a few weeks.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9041647

susan iF YOU SEE THIS WILL YOU CALL ME PLEASE I CANNOT FIND YOUR pH#

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9042091

Morning everyone. Hope you don't mind if I pop in and join the conversation?

Wow, I had to look up the gunnera plant, those leaves are huge!

Getting pretty warm here in Texas, already 65 this morning, supposed to be 85 today.
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9042148

warm here this morning too...54 with a high of 74 today. Can't believe that I went to work without a coat or a jacket on March 14th! Lots of daffodils blooming now with more yet to open...crocus are blooming along with other spring bulbs! My favorite time of the year!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9042380

It was 85 in my house yesterday,,, I was sooo hot. And it was raining to boot. So got noting done,, well except some house cleaning. YUCK!!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9042495

It's snowing!
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9042619

It's 80 degrees here and I had to come in from working outside because the heat was making me sick. It is March. It isn't even St. Patty's Day. I already planted my potatoes, but if it keeps this up, there is no way they will grow.

I am so grouchy. Just call me Miss Grumpy Pants.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9042639

Dear Miss Grumpy Pants, do you have room for one more in those things? almost 80 here today, and I am sick and can't play outside. So I am ready to join you in your Grumpy Pants.
Snow is what we usually have at this time of year.
irisluvr0252
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9042723

it is a beautiful day outside! I'm heading to Christina's for a 'deep tissue massage'...looking forward to this! Have a gift card that I need to use and thought this might get rid of some kinks before yard work! May have to schedule this once a month!

Later taters!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9042800

Make it Grumpy Pants x3!!!! I'm sick too! :(
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9042852

Would anyone like some Adenium obsesum 'Harry Potter' seeds to play with? I have a packet of 5 from Where the wild things grow on eBay. I have 5 seedlings so I don't need these ones.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9043027

O Lord I'd trade 20 sunny days for a deep tissue massage. :D

gorgeous weather here today too- I came home from some errands and took the dogs out in the yard. I started when I heard a familiar sound and thought what the . . ..?

The air conditioning had come on in the house. It's some funky thing we sure don't know how to work, but the "cool" temp was set at 74. I wonder what the temp would have been in the house without the a/c going.

I quit saying crazy weather and just attribute it to 'climate change' which according to many still doesn't exist and no scientific proof to support it. Stretch, yawn. This is why I decided in college (1988-ish) not to have children. When it was predicted that the polar ice caps would melt and polar bears would drown I decided that I didn't want my kids to see that because I knew then it would break my fool sissy card-carrying bleeding heart.

Ms. Grumpy Pants, you are not alone.

A.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9043045

Very generous of you to offer them, Angie. I'll pass to give someone else a chance. Those aren't cheap seeds.

LK, you know you're welcome here! Manda had the idea to have a thread during the Winter to keep us together. So here we are, but where the heck is Winter except at Angie's?

Do you houseplant lovers have your divisions growing yet? I have some divided and several more to go.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9043053

O my goodness Froot I forgot about the houseplant trade!!!

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9043094

I actually ended up with double the amount of seeds I ordered. The seller sent my order but it seemed to have gotten lost in MD so she resent them. Finally Saturday I got the first order, which she said I could keep. My original order was placed Jan 14 and usually seeds from her arrive quickly. Not sure what happened in MD.

These seeds will go to whoever wants them. I also have some Epiphyllum cross seeds and noid plumeria seeds if anyone is interested.

I'm not sure if I can do the HP trade this year since I'm not sure I have enough "divisions." I have succulent pups and plants started from leaves but not nearly large enough to count as a good trade.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9043107

Anybody's welcome to stay and chat, or join in, even if you don't plan to participate in the Houseplants / Tropicals trade that will begin in May.

I picked up a pretty Geranium today that has blood-red blooms just starting to open. Now the fun begins, either dividing it or propagating starts.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9043413

Angie, are the Adenium obsesum 'Harry Potter' indoor or outdoor plants?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9043416

Anyone know anything about starting geraniums (Pelargonium) from seed?

I received some in the Round Robin - they are 'yellow' and I'm desperate to see them bloom!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9043431

http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.com/2012/02/how-to-grow-geraniums-from-seed.html

Amanda, this is what I got when I Googled growing geraniums from seed...
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9043439

Debra I got some great MG seeds sprouting from you right now. Can't wait to put them out. Everyone is going to be sick if this weather continues. Gonna be a great flea season, tick season and pneumonia season. Ick...
On that note I will head out to weed.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9043553

Linda Kay it's an indoor plant in my zone but I'm not sure about yours.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9043564

Susie you are not resting, I am gonna call the doctor and they will haul you back to the hospital! Don't be messing around with pne... I can't spell it too many letters all in the wrong places...rofl..

I have a really wet spot for the giant plant (can't remember how to spell that either), if they arrive, I thought they would be here by now...getting worried...

Oh I forgot about the hp swap, but it is March so should have time to get stuff going by May that is 6 weeks away, sides I have a ton of stuff going wild. Thanks for the reminder there Fruity. Watering is really going strong with all this warm weather, usually by the time the spring warms up the sun has risen in the sky and doesn't come thru the solar windows, but not this year! Talk about a warm house...

Yellow car is done, but not picking it up until Friday since I have to take off of work to get it. Taxes getting done tonight...fingers crossed cause I think it is going to be ugly.
I use to have this idea I didn't mind paying taxes because that meant I made money, then I found out if you "REALLY" make money you don't pay taxes...hummm.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9043612

Amanda, you are not the only bleeding-heart type around here! Ask me my thoughts on climate change right now. :/

It has been cloudy all week. 90 a week and a half ago, and last Friday it only got to 43!!! How is someone supposed to garden in this mess?!

The good news is my roses are LOVING this spring weather. All the bushes that made it through last summer and covered in buds and growing like crazy! DA Evelyn is going to put on an awesome show by the looks of things. And I haven't even fertilized yet this year!

DSD has been in town all week volunteering for South by Southwest, a HUGE film/music festival here in Austin. The hours she is keeping are a little crazy. I remember being that young once. lol! Now I'm in bed by 11 and up by 7am.

Happ, I'm hoping to be one of those types of people in a few years once I get my degree squared away. Of course, not all of us mind taxes because we can see the benefits (such as when DH was laid off last year) and having drivable roads is nice...plus my college expenses are really low right now. I don't see the point of compiling wealth - it's not like you can take it with you!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9043681

I AM HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to turn on the air conditioner and Ralph and I are thinking about moving into the bedroom for the summer. Otherwise the power bill is going to be unreal!! It is a big bedroom so we will have lots of room.. but geez,,,I should have stayed in the RV. This year is going to be really bad.

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9044230

...sticking me head out...from under the table! howdy all! jist hanging round till its warmer. dont trust all these 75's!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9044237

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( JSX )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Where you been ??? I be missing you!!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9044239

Let me describe our weather from the past couple of days: rain, wind, rain, snow, rain, hail, rain and sun. Did I forget rain?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9044267

Happ Jim Won't let me do much at all YET , But He TOLLERATES < (MS) Me Telling Him What Needs To Be Done :) so all is Great :) My Body won't let me do much right now anyway . but i can sits in the sunshine :)
& WORK ON MY TAN :) HEHE .

well off to lay back tomorrow is another long day Here .
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9044276

I've missed you like crazy, Jax! Hope you had a Happy Birthday earlier this month.

We heard a blurb on the radio this afternoon from 'powers that be' declaring Winter is over for the majority of us, and for many of us to expect another hot dry Summer again.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/15/us/warm-spring/index.html

Rain was all around us today but only a few drops fell. We could use some of yours, Ang.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9044337

Hey, thanks LK - I will be glad to look at that link. I have 4 hanging baskets with geraniums in that I brought in to overwinter. Every year I bring in more because I love the colorful blooms in January. :)

Caryana - I don't want to ask. :/

Jax! :D

Elfie - yer a gypsy now!

As for me - still intend to start obtaining more garbage cans for my downspouts - better start collecting the water.

And find native plants that thrive on neglect and tolerate drought!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9044442

Elfie & Ralphie might have to come and live in someones basement,,, power bill will put us out of house and home,,,sigh
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9044814

DH was just talking about with him being retired and me hopefully getting to retiree we needed to do something different because propane is going to kill us, then we go to air conditioning (I can and have lived without air) but I am NOT living without heat...rofl...can't imagine leaving our home for alot of different reasons, but if we do I am coming south...open the doors girls...LOL

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9044869

Our utilities are sky high as well. DH and I plan on moving once I retire. We have compared our utility costs to those of his family members and my family members - we are paying 3X more than the rest of them.

Definitely - open the doors, ladies because we will be moving south!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9045007

If you move south I hope you like it HOT. I know I do, but last summer was just a bit ridiculous!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9045039

Carey, weather forecasters are predicting another hot one for us!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9045088

I know Linda Kay! :( I didn't buy many new plants because I was afraid that was going to happen again.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9045128

I'm excited! My Bee Balm is expected to be delivered today and tomorrow I get to make Corned Beef Brisket :D It's the only time of the year I am allowed to make it.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9045261

Carey

I LOVE it hot! I also like humidity in the air as well. I get cold at 68 degrees and have never been a fan of winter. I was always the first kid to go in when playing outside in the winter.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9045456

Our house is total electric, and our monthly power bills two years ago in the Winter before we started heating with wood again took a huge chunk out of our monthly budget. It wasn't unusual to have a $400+ bill every month. I nearly had a stroke when we got the highest one over $470. We have a modest two-story house that isn't big and have fairly new siding and insulation, double-pane windows, and I want to add storm doors this year. Our highest bill this past Winter heating with wood was $130, what a far cry less. Don't move to Virginia if your carrier is American Electric & Power. From June to September our heat pump runs non-stop with the A/C going and our monthly bill is around $200 with the thermostat turned up to 78. Manageable, but still...

Growing up in SC, my Mom never let me go barefoot til May 1st. So much for that this year. I've been to the mailbox several times in bare feet and have been wearing flip-flops, shorts and T-shirts for at least a week. If it gets chilly like it did this afternoon when we had a dribble of rain, I shed shorts and put on a pair of pants.

Which Bee Balm did you get, Ang? I have Jacob's Cline and Raspberry Wine. Neither have shown much new growth yet. Keep the brisket, just give me a bowl of cabbage and a hunk of hot buttered cornbread.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9045636

Well Carolyn, since you and I were practically neighbors for a few years (I moved from the Poconos!!!) I couldn't wait to leave that snow and cold behind! It's nice to visit...and I'm jealous of the lilacs. I do miss their blooms.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

March 17, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9045793

It's not any better down south...our other house during the summer (AC) would run about $650...talk about having a stroke. Now we did have 3 units, a pool pump, and GH, but still...Now this new house is smaller with all the newest and best energy efficient everything and the last bill we got (hadn't even turned on the AC) was $298..??? I told my husband something was wrong...I was expecting about $150. I'm scared to think what it will be like in the summer...especially with no trees around.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9045817

GA Better plant some fast growing trees :)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9045834

Well in Missouri we have the best of the north and the best of the south, we have winters like Wisconsin (temps not usually as much snow excluding last year) then hot and humid winters equal to Georgia, nothing for us to hit 100 and over and humid to boot, funny how the wind stops blowing when it gets like that...rofl. There is a contractor that comes into our office all thru the year and he said he thought Florida was hot (where he lives) until he was in Missouri during the summer...rofl.

Lived in San Antonio for years and I really liked it, DH likes Arizonia and Las Vegas but I think that is too hot, sides I have been in Vegas when it has snowed and when it was 114...don't think that is the place for me. It would take semi's to move us, can't imagine. Austin was a beautiful city, use to go there to visit friends alot.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

March 17, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9045843

We sure missed our oak last summer (the one that fell in June and Kris and Ralph helped with it.) For almost 30 years we had enjoyed its shade. Got a small white oak planted to replace it, but it will be many years before it can even think of making significant shade. We have old red oaks around out house and when I go walking in the summer and come down the driveway toward the house, I can feel it getting cooler.
I am on TREC (electric co-op), and I think they are good altho some people complain that Alabama Power is cheaper. I can't speak to that, but I can only say they are the best at getting power back on when it goes off.
I am praying for all who will be getting the predicted storms starting Sunday. Two weeks ago last night there was a tornado just next door to my sister's house, and it cut a swath down the creek snapping off trees and mangling several houses and barns. Nobody hurt.
Fruity, I was a victim of that tale about no bare feet til May 1. I remember how I used to wait so eagerly for that day. And I would toss my shoes, at least for a while, even if it was chilly. It has been a long time since it was chilly on May 1! Now I love flipflops but my feet are much too tender for the gravel in my driveway and nearly everywhere else,too, outside to go bare foot.
Seems like the story was also that red bugs (chiggers) came out on May 1. I wonder who told the chiggers the date!!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9046027

Hi all! I'm Anita the lurker
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9046063

Fruity I got Gardenview Scarlet and Marshall's Delight. I wanted to get others but I'm short on funds lately. I got them from dogwooderitternet :D
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9046318

Hi Anita. Been a while since I've seen you around.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9046355

Hi Rvnsbrk! It has been awhile. How have you been?
rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9046442

Doing well all things considered. How about you?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9046469

Hey Anita - how are you?

I put in several types of monarda last year and saw them starting to come up already.

DH likes the A/C - me not so much...

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9046478

evening to all Just wanted to say IT WAS A BEAUTY FULL Day Here . made CORNBEEF & CABBAGE For super tonight MMMMMM & I Ate to much Cabbage & Carrots :)
Hope you all had a great day & didn't over do the GREEN BEER :))) My feet hurt bad tonight so I'm going to go soak them before i take my shower you all stay well back in the morning .

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9046486

Hey Anita! Glad to see you here!

Susie, that corned beef sounds good!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9046492

Rvn, I'm itching for spring! I don't want to clean up my garden but I'm ready to play in the dirt.

Hi Ms Carolyn! I have not checked my monarda yet. My zone has changed to 6a now so mine may be coming up soon.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9046677

all my monardas, pink primrose, Virginia bluebells ( blooming) gloriosa rudbeckias, and well everything is up and growing fast.. supposed to get rain but I have been collecting washer water in the meantime in jugs, the garage is full jugs of wash water from the laundry. I a going to get a long connector hose and clamp to lead the washer water right out the back door to the gardens. Joe has planted the beans, potatoes, beats, my peas are transplanted and growing, old fashioned pear tree is blooming, bradford pears are full bloom everywhere, redbuds are blooming and forsythias ( which I don not have) are full bloom along with the flowering quince. It is hot. We are running fans instead of the a/c with windows open. I have all these things in the basement to go out, but since most of them are so happy, I am keeping some of them inside there. All my violets are in full bloom. jonquils and hiyacynths are blooming. I have been sick for almost a week, and am ready to go outside and play, but too tired to really work at lifting the leaves. Son has brought me 11 florescent lights from a hospital he moved that they were going to toss. He also has brought some cool tables one with drop leaves on each side and on rollers. I have seed trays everywhere, have scattered a million seeds already, and the winter sow jugs need transplanting already. I am so tired just thinking of doing all this.
I have about five thousand morning glory seeds if anyone wants any. ugh.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9047033

Debra you seemed to have everything organized. I hope you feel better soon.

I just learned on one of the forums that ny zone changed. I had frost dates and planting times down to a science. Hopefully, I can adjust without killing anything. LoL
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9047214

According to the USDA my zone is 8a and I've been going by 7b. Doesn't really matter though, I never know the last frost date anyways.
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9047515

Got some catching up to do here. My son and his friend who rented moved out and I am going to have to take in a renter to help as the bills exceed what I get. I am not looking forward to that at all as you don't know who you can trust. Oh well I must get an ad up soon to get someone in here. My DS and his gf and Brian his friend renting a huge house for 1800 a month. Brian was paying 300 here is paying 600 which is 1/3 there but says he don't want to pay 1/3 of utilities as Amanda has 2 kids and so does my son...We will see how that works out.

I start to school on Tuesday and I am worried I may not do as well as the ones who just got out of school and are younger. My friend and I have over 1500 plants potted and still going strong. I sure hope they sell good for us.

Do any of you know anything about loquats? they are growing on 2 trees a few miles away and would love to do something with them. I have no idea how to tell if they are ripe or anything.

Gotta run got lots to do...still digging and planting.

Hugs to all...Hey Jax welcome back...

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9047624

Hey all.. Just got back from returning the rental car and I am worn slap out!! Gryphon and I potted up about 75 to 100 plants over the last 2 days!! I also stopped and bought some more at L\owes!! I still have sooooo much to go dig up at the other house,, but the best part of this trip was the thorn-less Rose, Miss Lady Banks from Jax has really grown this past year and is covered in the prettiest roses!!! Was hard to leave with out her this morning. But I wanted to check with everyone and see if they think I can completely up-root her to bring here?? Crystal gave me some wonderful big pots to use and I have a very nice sized one just waiting till the next trip in 2 weeks.

So far I have found most of my hostas and all of my day lilies,, Dug up all my herbs, the strawberry plants,,,

Next trip is for the Lotus, cannas, and Iris's.Wonder if I can dig up the blueberry's and Rosemary bushes too??? .. Going to be another long weekend then too! Also need to dig up all the EE;s and other water plants,,,sigh

monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9047755

It started raining here yesterday and the mountains have gotten some snow. When I went out to look at everything this morning I was afraid I would find all the seedlings I just transplanted gone. Lucky for me, it hasn't gotten too cold. Everything looks great except for two of the three petunia seedlings which are gone. Whew!
My wintersowing didn't go as well as I had hoped. I didn't use enough soil in each container and started too late for our crazy weather. I'm thinking of ordering one of those mini greenhouse things (yes, that's a technical term.) The one on rollers with the plastic cover. How does this differ from using the containers? I'm still so new at this and it seems the more I learn the less I know. The reason I'm looking into this is that we really have no selection of plants in the stores here and was thinking this time next year I could make a little money selling some of the different ones I'm growing. Any suggestions?
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9047852

Monkey, (I feel like I'm calling you names, sorry I don't know your government name) I think the containers mimic the greenhouse only the wsing allows for air exchange and water from the elements. The gh thingy that I'm familiar with is not air tight but would not allow rain to get in.

IloveJesus, are you having a co-op?
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9047930

my name is Robyn (LOL). The watering I wouldn't mind. I was thinking that I could start more seed in one and also I liked the idea of being able to roll it to a new location away from the K-9 garbage disposal. I just don't have the room for all the containers.

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

March 18, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9048107

Hi there... hope you don't mind me jumping into the conversation...regarding the loquats... they turn a lovely bright orange when ripe... they are delicious! We have a tree in our backyard and it gives us so much fruit! I generally peel them and then just eat around the pit - but many people eat the skin... I just find it a bit tough. Hope that helps... (good luck finding a renter!) Nancy
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

March 19, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9048300

Nancy thanks so much and welcome to our little world. I am sure everyone will chime in and say Hello and Welcome. I did taste one but it was sour but it was yellow as I didn't have any idea when to eat one.

Do you make jelly or jam out of them? Thinking about trying that.

HAGD

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9048372

Morning, dropping in with a quick 'hi'

Bet some of you felt sorry for us northern folk and sent summer weather..might get as high as 70..70 you say??? normally we have 5' of snow and more blizzards to come..already have 1/2 my gardens raked..oh happy days!!!

Enjoy your day..
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9048578

Threatening us with storms and lots of rain, but none so far.

I have one of those stand up greenhouse gardening thing, but at my house it would be blown to the next county if I had it outside, not sure how your winds are, but way too light to with stand the elements here...

sounds like everyone is reaping the beneys of early early spring/summer... ;)

I feel so lazy you all are doing so good starting plants, that is surely a money saver if they are for you, or money maker if you are selling. I did transplant my voodoo lily and it has not started to grow yet. DH took the top off last year thinking it was a dead plant, hope he didn't hurt my bulb...or I may take up voodoo...just kidding... kind of, sort of, why would he mess with my plants...humm, maybe I should clean his garage, ok that was a bad thought cause that would take another life time...never mind...rofl.

Got my gunnera manicata plant in the mail, now I just need to keep it alive. It is sitting in a bog pot in the house over the heat vent with lots and lots of sunshine, until it clouds over. Mine will probably never get as big as this pic since I will have to bring it in every year, but won't it be an amazing plant to cast in concrete. I found white concrete at a hardware store and I am ready, can't wait...so excited.

Thumbnail by happgarden

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9048983

Robyn, I think the greenhouse would work. I was just saying what the difference between the jugs and gh were. Good point, Happ. I didnt think about the gh blowing away. BTW, I think its a good idea to hide hubby's tool until your plant grows back or he buys you a new one. LoL

That Brunnera would make a excellent mold. Are you making stepping stones or bird bath?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9049158

I'm always glad to see anyone join our chat.

Time to jump over to our new thread and Welcome Spring!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1247821/

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9049512

Hi Nancy! Welcome to the best little place in the world.
Debra

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America