Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: We are getting TURKEYS !

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 36, Views: 176
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9026363

Hello
ok so we are first time turkey owners
blue slate turkeys
6 wks old
going to be our 4H project for my dd.
ok they are really for me. i live through my children !
so i have raised chickens but not turkeys
i will get the food tomorrow
washed out the chicken brooder but am wondering if it is big enough for them ?
they will be in there for another 4 wks ? until they can move out into the coop . it is a cattle panel hoop house with plastic.
anything else i should now ?
i will take pics soon.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 1, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9026545

Raising Cornish Rock X "Project to keep me busy", lol Daughter wants a few chicken dinners. There will be enough to fill my freezer too. About 6 weeks and we will have our work cut out for us. I also ordered a doz. Barred Rock pullets for me. So Okay not turkeys, Chickens should have at least 3 sq. ft.per bird Turkeys are bigger So I would say make it 4 sq.ft at least for health reasons. Never raised Turkeys So I can't give you anything positive.
But will be interested in how it works for you.
Probably won't need the plastic all the way down the sides for much longer, as it would very soon generate too much heat for them.
I'm building a portable coop ( chicken tractor ) 8 x 16 with coop and nest boxes on one end 2 ft. above the fenced area. Should be sufficient for my 12 layers.
I am in the path of 3 pair of Eagles and quite often have a large hawk that that visits a large maple in my back yard

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9027359

yes the plastic stays on until until may then i take half off of the coop.
12 layers are good. sure wish my kids would do them LOL i don't eat meat from the grocery stores. its yukky IMHO. :)
well i will keep you all informed
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9031590

So happy for you Taynors.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9031845

we got the turkeys last night. they are 6 wks old and i still am not understanding why they need heat lights ? but i will go to TSC and get another one.
Need to get turkey starter. The grain place i went to gave me poultry starter ? oh well.
ok pics will be coming soon.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 6, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9032053

I'm not sure on 6 week old turkeys needing heat lamps either but it won't hurt as they will govern how much they need. If they lay down away from the heat, I would think don't need as much.
My dark colored chicks don't lay down under the lamp. They seem to enjoy being as far away from it as they can get. but the Cornish Rocks still huddle under the heat lamp. They are all 20-21 days old and the Cornish are now 3 times the size as the Barred Rocks. Of course they eat like pigs too, so that is one more reason they are so big.
Time to get those babies out of that box and out in the inclosure. I think I will have a heat lamp for them on the cold windy days and nights for a while yet though as March can still drop below zero very easily. Also they seem to be growing faster than their feathers, so they have quite a bit of bare skin where they have lost their fuzz.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9032389

well i just learned of a disease that turkeys can get from chickens ? blackfoot.
i was going to put them in an old chicken coop i had . But i have read that this can be a problem for the blackfoot. a worm that chickens have . hmmm. no chickens have been in the coop for over a year... so i m wondering if it is still ok for turkeys ?
well our turkeys are not eating or drinking. i put a few chics in there with them i was told to try it.
so we shall see ?
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 6, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9032681

Yes, I have heard that turkeys are dumb and you have to teach them to eat or drink. The chicks might help.
My guess is that they were doing okay before but the shipping has stressed them so it may take a while
If you had access to a power washer, to clean the coop with then disinfect it but that is one I haven't heard before.
A friend that wanted in on this order of Cornish. has access to a large chicken house. I swept it out but there is still crusted poop on the wood floor and there are large rat holes all around the ground by the coop. I told him if he wants to raise his in there that is up to him but I'm putting mine and DD Sandi's at my place in my new " chicken tractor" coop. I have it all inclosed now but still working on the nest boxes for the layer hens but that is above where the Cornish rocks will be, for the time being.
By the time my layers are ready to go down and forage on grass and bugs the cornish should all be in the freezer. lol

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9033874

well the turkeys did start eating and drinking , so i took the chics out well guess who is back on the starvation diet ? uhg. ?
Rand that is cool a chicken tractor . i have wanted one of them .
aaahhh cornis h is the freezer ... its a good thing.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9033895

Taynors, I remember when you moved into your place. Quite a time. How long ago has it been now? I haven't been in on much of your adventures since. Have you had an easy, or rough time getting adjusted?

How many of those Cornish are going in the freezer Russ? You'll be ready for some more chicks. My sister used to get hers from Murray McMurray. Look at their catalog. It is like a candy store. LOL

Jeanette
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 8, 2012
3:29 AM

Post #9034223

Jeanette, 8 for Gary, 15 for Sandi and 16 in my freezer. I might start craving for the other white meat. lol
taynors; I have the bottom ready for the cornish but the nest boxes and shelter part isn't quite done. and I don't have the wheels on it yet but I will try get a pic today sometime, and post it.
I could have used some lighter materials but I used what I had, so it is quite heavy but I can move it around by sliding over PVC pipes laid out where I want it to go.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9034571

yes pics would be great
Well still adjusting Jeannette.. LOL there is always a new adventure around the corner for us.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9034581

here they are. Royal Palms

Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors
Click an image for an enlarged view.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9034582

here a gobble , here a gobble , everywhere a gobble gobble .
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 8, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9034991

well I took pictures, loaded them in the computer, I can find them by searching but I can't get them to post on DG ?????
I'll have to play with them a bit. Blasted computer seems to be disagreeable
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 8, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9035071

Careful what you call it; computers have ears - and great retaliatory abilities!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9035176

LOL i talk sweetly to mine , but sometimes she is a bad computer. i totaly understand.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9035211

How old are the Royal Palms? Bet they eat a truckload. LOL

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9035441

i just got them eating and they don't really eat to much at moment . but its a good sign they are eating. i was worried.
they are 6 wks
i have vitamin water in the water too.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 9, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9036309

I would say they are getting used to their new home and settling down then.
Good going.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9036336

they seem a bit more relaxed. i don't think turkeys are dumb ? i think they are just very very very sensitive ? you know like panda's in the zoo's . Panda's don't don't mate naturally in most zoo's . so i m wondering if turkeys are the same way ? could be ?
just a thought i guess.
thanks randponder. this is our first with turkeys. lets just hope its not 5 Tom's LOL oh that would be so bad LOL
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 9, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9036423

I think dumb may be the wrong term, It is what many impatient people accuse them of when they can't get them to eat or get in out of the rain. lol
5 Toms Hmmm if a hen and a half can lay a egg and a half in a day and a half. How long will it take a rooster to lay a door knob?? He He he.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9036439

Russ, I think you are getting too close to that bottle you have hidden some where. LOL, not really.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9036589

3 days ?
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 10, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9036641

By golly if I had a roo to lay door knobs I may just have to go into business. Har Har har Or a turkey for that matter. sorry about my lame humor
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9036865

You actually did that little joke over 2 days. ?? Think you need a vacation again. How is Barb doing anyway?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9037233

LOL i enjoy it.
well so far so good the turkeys are doing good. i sure need to get out and fix up a coop for them
i was going to put them in my old chicken coop but with reading about Blackfoot i think i may be on the safe side and build a new one closer to the barn. on new ground. soooo
off to tractor supply for me !
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 10, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9037546

Thanks for the laugh Rand.

Taynors am going to follow you and these turkeys. Since you are wanting hens is that for eggs or breeding?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2012
11:12 PM

Post #9037653

Guys, look at Russ's address. Randbponder. R is for Russ, and B is for his wife Barb. Can't remember where he got the Ponder 'cause it's not his last name. The Ponder is just his warped joke I guess. LOL, gotcha Russ. Spoiled your fun didn't I?
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 11, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9038187

Well Jeanette; you will have to blame Dave's computer for that warped joke I guess.
But when I first subscribed I was building a pond. and water gardens attracted me to DG.
Now the only thing that took the wind out of my sails is when somebody decided it was more important for him to have my best Koi than me. And within a month two different times 15 to 20 of the Koi I raised in an aquarium and put the best back in the pond to breed, wound up in someone elses pond. Not once but twice. I spent a lot of time and money on that project. That hurt, " so much so that I have just let the pond go. I don't have Koi to steel now.

Now to answer that leg pullin Naw you aint spoillin no fun, you is jus addin fuel, he he he
And as for a trip well yep I've just started another.This one is about 587.5 million miles.

Barb has the beginning of macular degeneration, so she don't read as much or try use the keyboard either. I find myself doing most of the cooking. and she no longer will drive in the city. I try to keep her abreast of everything. It is a learning experience. I am glad we went on that trip last year as she could see better then.
Taynors; I think the new coop would be a good idea. Wish I could get the new pics to post as a few people have said it looks great and like the idea that it also has the nest boxes and a shelter and I can stand up in it, so I can walk in and do the feed and water. Still need to get the lift and wheels done.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9038205

Ok, ok with the pond. LOL

Russ, what did they say about her MD? 'cause they said the same thing about me about, well several years ago. At the time I had my cataracts removed and the eye surgery with the interocular lens etc. I have not seen my eyesight get any worse. Wonder if that is why.

They also told me to take the Preservision vitamins for my eyes, the one with no vitamin A, don't know why that was, but specified it was very important. They are very expensive at 2 a day, but if they are helping, they are sure worth it.

Russ, are you still going to be able to stand up in there to do your work if you put it on wheels? may have to flatten the tires. LOL :0)

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9038593

this is one of my coops i built two years ago . same one i will do this year for the new turkeys
in spring we tarp with some plastic and then in winter we put plastic on the whole thing and make it nice and cozy for them.
works pretty good.
not a transportable type but i m thinking of a smaller one with only using two panels and wheels.
middle picture is of my friends and my kids. we moved it closer to the house while leaving one in the field.

Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9038749

Oh good you got it posted Russ. Sorry I couldn't do it.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 11, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9038760

No I believe that is what taynors found. It is a striking resemblance though
.edit to say the top I made was lighter weight. made with PVC pipe and a plastic netting.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2012 8:17 PM
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9038777

Ok, I didn't look real close. Sorry.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9038800

Taynors you guys have it going on. Everything there looks so nice and neat, and what a great coop. Thanks for the pics.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9039705

LOL that was when we first built it LOL today it looks a bit more lived in. :)
IF i were doing a portable coop i would use the PVC also. and with chicken wire.
thanks Light_for_jesus . i need to make another one.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America